Hospital for Sick Children Employee Reviews in Canada

Working as a Patient Service Aide is both challenging and rewarding at the same time.
Patient Service Aide (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 6, 2016
As a Patient Service Aide working in the Intensive Critical Care Unit it is my job to ensure that the rooms are cleaned and make bedside ready for admission.

Whenever their is a trauma and a room is needed for immediate admission then my co-workers and I all unite and get the job done.,

The hardest part of the job is when there are several codes and or trauma on one given day. Nurses and cleaning staff have to work closely and as the patient is discharged we must clean quickly to accommodate the admission.

Management recognizes our efforts and celebrates us. We are also included in some of their meetings and asked for our input, our suggestions are sometimes acted upon.

It is very rewarding and fulfilling to hear the words "thank you" from the parents of a patient after cleaning their rooms.
A great place for independent learning and advancement
Lab Tech (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 17, 2015
In the short time I worked there, the workers and management were helpfull, friendly and courteous.
It is a great environment for continued learning and support and job advancement.
Pros
Independent working with no pressured timeline
Great Benefits
Clinical Research Project Assistant/CEP (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 14, 2016
The benefits packages is very good at Sick Kids. Sometimes there is a little too much caution tape to get things done, but this is expected in hospital setting
Supportive and Fun Volunteer Environment
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 7, 2016
- Further developed interpersonal skills, including interacting with extremely ill or terminal patients
- Worked with a diverse group of people
- Fun and rewarding interactions
Good perks
Assistant Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 14, 2016
Good pay but horrible benefits. Salary increase only 1.4%. No work life balance. Good perks with different companies.
Excellent place to work.
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 2, 2015
Enjoyed working at SickKids as it is a great place to work. Managed a $1.75M project elated to HR Transformation Phase 3 and completed successfully on time and with in budget with the project team's support and dedication.
Pros
Great team spirit among the project team members
Cons
not any in my opinion
Could be a nice place to work at, depending on who your boss is.
Lab. Research Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 17, 2015
The quality of job depends solely on the boss one has. It could be best and ideal or the worst. Likewise depending on the boss the management could be good or bad. The coworkers also treat you as the boss likes them to. My experience with the boss in particular was bitter. No cooperation, no appreciation of hard work, no respect rather he would be ready to humiliate me in front of anybody and everybody. Therefore, despite my interest in the research, it was not enjoyable to work there.
Pros
One may save on phone bills and transportion etc.
Cons
Lack of job security.
Clinical Research
Clinical Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 26, 2015
I enjoyed working at the Hospital for Sick Children. It's a great place to work. I liked the collaborative research working environment that sickkids has.
fast paced and very rewarding
WARD CLERK - HAEMATOLOGY/ONCOLOGY (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 22, 2015
Hardest part of the job was the shift. Coworkers were wonderful, friendly, helpful and very knowledgeable. Everyone worked together and always had the patient's best interest at heart.
Pros
a great place to learn and grow as a professional and person
Cons
shift changes for less senior staff
Fulfilling and rewarding experience working with children and families
Medical Interpreter (English/Italian/Spanish) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 6, 2015
As a medical interpreter, my role is to provide language assistance to limited English proficient patients and their families when speaking with their healthcare providers to ensure safe and accurate communication of specifically related to the patient's care and treatment plan.
Pros
constant learning experiences, very fulfilling and gratifying
Cons
subject matter can be emotionally distressing or challenging at times
Excellent clinical expertise, poor senior management capabilities
Director (Former Employee) –  toronto, onJune 23, 2013
Employed at Sickkids for 3 years in Director level role. Organization has strong clinical expertise and worldwide reputation in child health. Research facility is top tier.
Senior management is dysfunctional and lacks fortitude to make routine business decisions - becomes slavish to political decisions that can be harmful.
When issues arise in management, they tend to evolve counter-productively to a culture of blame approach.
Pros
strong culture, world reputation
Cons
strong culture has harmful side effects, culture of blame
great atmosphere!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioMarch 25, 2015
It's a great place to work - some admin need to retire at this point and allow room for the newer and younger admin to bring their own flare to the departments
Great Hospital to work in!
NICU Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 1, 2013
Busy unit on 12 hour shifts with great group of nurses, respiratory therapists and dieticians. Great support from management. Team approach on admissions to unit.
Pros
education advancement encouraged
Cons
12 hour shifts
A rewarding working environment which allows me to contribute to an organization dedicated to the care and well being of children
Pharmacy Porter (casual) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 4, 2013
I enjoy working in this environment. I have a sense of accomplishment in what I do. Providing the pharmacy needs to the hospital units. I feel that my role is rewarding as I ensure that the delivery is accurate and on time. I enjoy working with the staff and my colleagues, every day brings on new and exciting challengens for me in this role.
Pros
the satisfaction of knowing what i do makes a difference in the care of the children at the hospital
Cons
parking downtown is difficult
Very challenging company to work for
Payroll System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 1, 2014
Make sure all employees are paid accurately and on time.
Very challenging day to day activities. Answering employee's inquiry, problem solvings, finding slolutions, investigations, etc. made my work day very interesting and challenging.
Rewarding
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 18, 2014
A challenging and rewarding position with many areas to broaden skills in research. Opportunity to meet professionals in different departments. Great research team!
Wounderful,place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 22, 2014
Fun filled busy work environment. Busy past base environment, enjoy working with network of doctors.
Great hospital
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 12, 2014
Cares about their employees, and is constantly working to improve quality for their employees.
A temporary assignment through Manpower
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 26, 2013
Completed a variety of office assignments for a period of 6 months. I worked in an office by myself and don't remember too much about this position. I enjoyed working in the health environment.
Pros
lunch cafeteria was beautiful
Cons
the job was only temporary
After 25 years I feel like i need a job change.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 20, 2014
Working at SickKids over the past 25 years has been a wonderful experience. I am currently still here.

4.5