Horizon North Employee Reviews

Former trucker pretending to be a chef
rig cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 May 2017
One miserable week was all it took me to see enough. If you are not very serious about cooking, like maybe too weak to work in the city, and you enjoy drama from emotionally unstable women, as their field staff is 75% female, then maybe give it a try. The rig cook manager shoulda stuck with truck driving. Not good for males, with talent.. A safety officer who can cook is what they expect.
Pros
industry average pay
Cons
Only girls word is taken
If your looking to be treated like a slave look no further apply now.
Operator (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB30 April 2017
Worked at horizon for 4 years guys in the field are good but management is the biggest joke you will ever see. Right from the top to the bottom.
Wouldn't recommend working here for unless you want to be slave labour and get peanuts.
Do not recommend working here at all.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Good company to work for
Camp Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 March 2017
they are a good company to work for when it comes to recognizing your job and performance, but some of the management are not very good and not really understanding.
Pros
Safety points
Cons
A willingness to learn new things daily
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB8 March 2017
Daily checks on equipment and camp operations.complete daily tasks and fallow work safe practices.repair broken or unsafe equipment.plumbing ,heating,electrical,commercial kitchen equipment repair and parts orders.i always worked on my own in remote locations in Alberta and British Columbia.one of the hardest parts of the job was working in -40 doing plumbing repairs and in confined spaces .ive learned a lot working in these camp locations and maintaining a safe work place with proper PPE.
Pros
3 weeks on and 1 off.12 he shifts with room and board supplied .overtume after 8 hrs per day
Cons
Long periods of time in remote locations with little interaction with civilization.
Hncc
MANAGER/CLERK/CLEANER (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB7 March 2017
Ive been working with horizon for years, I decided to I wanted to find a town job because i want to have a family.

They gave me the opportunity to advance, and treated me very well 3 years (and currently still with them)
Great Job, but always room for improvement.
Camp Attendant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 February 2017
As a current employee with Horizon North Camps & Catering, I started as a Camp Clerk and worked as a Janitor, Laundry Room Attendant, and now as a Camp Attendant.

As a Camp Attendant, I am expected to clean 38 rooms per day (which is the size of a dorm) and it can consist of day rooms as well as night rooms. Split shifts often happen. If you are willing to be a team player and help others in their time of need, the same will happen for you.

The pay for a Camp Attendant is low, however, after clearing 600 hours you will receive benefits which are more than generous! The benefits is for medial, dental, and prescription. This is the only benefit you will receive, with the very rare and occasional gift from the company such as a T-Shirt. There is no programs such as awards for safety, etc. as there once was.

The challenge with this job has to be where you are placed. Normal rotations are either 2 weeks in camp or 3, and then one week off. Rig Camps you are the only Camp Attendant and work 9 hours (sometimes 10 hours) paid. Being in a rig camp you need to expect the unexpected, and perhaps you will work extra hours, which are not always paid for. In a lodge setting 10 hours is the norm, and though in a larger environment with more interaction with others, your workload can get heavier and sometimes more demanding.

Another challenge with the job is camp management. Depending on where you are placed, you can find yourself in a situation with a manager who "likes" you or a manager who does not "like" you. This can impact your job performance, and even opportunities for growth,
  more... learning, and even advancement.

Again, I was hired as a Camp Clerk, and due to the camp I was working at having really low numbers in clientele, I had to adapt and go to another camp working as a Camp Attendant. When learning there was Camp Clerk positions available, I learned the hard way that I had to re-apply for a clerking position and go through the hiring process all over again. This was a real punch to the gut. They tell me it is not a demotion, however, it feels like that as well as a lack of respect.

Your food, accommodations, and travel are covered, however, you are only off work a week at a time. Take advantage of the work when it is available as summers can be very tough due to a lack of work available.

Hope this detailed information helps to make an informed decision. Horizon North can be a great company to work for, and only greater if (and only if) management in the camps as well as in the head office cared a little more for their employees, and truly follow what they promise in equal employment opportunities.
Pros
Food, Lodging, Travel, Medical & Dental Benefits...
Cons
Wages, Management, Growth
camp life
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 February 2017
long days away from family, amount of work is based on camp client numbers. You must be willing to do unpaid overtime as it tends to be expected.
Pros
Accommodation, transportation, and meals included
Cons
weeks away from home
Excellent work environment
1st Cook (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 January 2017
Except for the clear preference for selective hiring the work environment is quite good. The accommodations are very comfortable and facilities great.
Worst management ever
Inmate (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC17 January 2017
Forewarning! Management is brutal in the Kamloops facility.
Worst job ever. You are treated like inmates and it sure felt like that working there. If it wasn't for the management it would be an okay place to work.
Pros
a job
Cons
Terrible Management, grim environment, depressing.
its a typical catering company
Baker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 January 2017
working at horizon was just like any other job. u work all day and sleep. some workers are easy to get along with and some are hard. there transportation to and from camp could be made more efficient and there pay raises could come more frequent. manager training could be more thorough.
Pros
usually good food.
Cons
time spent traveling to and from location. only get paid 3 hours for going to camp.
Not to long term career, lots of lay offs in the past 2 years.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC11 January 2017
For a short term employment this company would be great, but remember in the past two years this company laid off most of its staff (over 50%).
Pros
work is fun
Cons
lots of lay offs in the past two years.
Horrible place to work
General Helper (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB northsands lodge10 January 2017
The worst company I ever worked for , we had 2 weeks to open a 350 man camp with less than 10 employees, very cheap , horible site managers even worse with uper management, no sick days , you get sick you fired, very racist site manager , very manipulative vice president , leaving that company was the best thing I've ever achieved in my life,
Pros
Few nice fellow employees
Cons
Horrible management, disorganized, andbofcourse long days away from home
Fast paced work
2nd Cook (Former Employee) –  northern alberta & BC4 January 2017
Remote living within a oil field lease providing excellence in customer client service ,Preparing top quality food . Excelant staff n traing
horrible management
Designer (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC21 November 2016
Great pay and benefits but its run by the old boys club from when they were only a tow truck and no shop.
Absolutely no understanding of how the design department works and instead of hiring engineers they contract them and sue them. If they would just hire engineers then they could cary error and omissions insurance, but the management is scared they would lose some control.

If you are a designer and you want to work in an environment that is NOT typical for good design experience, have no control over quality after it leaves your desk, and have unrealistic expectations then this is your place.

If you want a REAL designer's job, go elsewhere.
Pros
ignorant management
Cons
ignorant management
Is was nice job I been there for long time
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB18 November 2016
I'm happy to work any place because if you dont work you be come homeless and I hope I will be happy to have new job I never forget horizon north good people good job and good money
Cons
10 hours
Hard work, long hours, lowest paying, away from home, dangerous.
Night Manager/Chef (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 November 2016
I worked for this company for a long time, the management is sub par, and often lazy. The pay does not reflect the work required of you. Corporate promises are often not realized, and yearly bonuses are often taken away. Beware!
Pros
Free food
Cons
Long hours, terrible management, long cold bus rides, lowest pay in industry
Worst company to ever work period!!!!!!!!
GH and Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  BC, AB16 September 2016
Worst management team ever from the office worker to camp manager. The only thing this company has going is Marian the manager at Brion Energy. 🌷💋💓🌹🙌
Cons
The people were awesome to work with.
Second Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 September 2016
It was a good job. I liked it when my employer appreciated my work and called me back for jobs. Or when the chef requested me to work longer. The people I worked with were awesome.
Pros
The gym and work were close by, I worked out everyday, People were understanding when I fasted and accomodated, I really appreciated that, I felt a part of the team
Cons
I had to be away from family so long, (3 weeks at a time), The management team liked to gossip about people they didn't know, just from what they heard other staff say
An amazing company to work for.
Camp Housekeeper and Dorm Fire Warden (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 September 2016
Loved the long hours and the people in camp it was another home to myself, but sadly had to leave due to some unexpected stuff back home and lay offs were starting to happen.
Pros
Great people, loved my job.
Cons
poor and unprofessinal envirment to work at
Cook (Former Employee) –  Jansen, SK26 August 2016
Horizon advertising looks so exciting but once you get the job you get shock the most employees they have noGreat knowledge about the food industry and hospitality, secobadry diploma or red seal other than safety training that horizon provide before start working, you may loose you identity of professionalism if you coming from culinary background, their employees are so unprofessional, i wonder how they got the job
Pros
free wifi
Cons
NO breaks