Horizon Milling ULC serves Canada's foodservice, bakery and food manufacturing markets with quality flour, oats and baking mixes. Horizon Milling ULC licenses rights to Robin Hood brands in the Canadian, U.S. and Caribbean markets. Horizon Milling has approximately 450 employees across its various locations. Flour mills and Dry Bakery Ingredient facilities are strategically located across Canada supporting a national distribution network for our customers. Product development and customer business services are supported from a centralized office in the Greater Toronto area.
Reporting to the Quality Manager, the Assistant Quality Manager is a member of the location leadership team and is primarily accountable for the location’s day-to-day quality management activities, direct supervision of the Quality Laboratory, and managing the sanitation and integrated pest management programs.
25% - Provide daily support to the location’s quality management programs including ensuring reliable and robust systems and controls are in place to maintain product safety, regulatory compliance and product quality; managing the day-to-day activities of the Quality Lab including technician scheduling and workforce management; completing documentation, and reporting on a daily basis; managing specialized tests; and calibrating test and process control equipment and training
30% - Manage the Integrated Pest Management Program and Sterile Zone Program including developing and maintaining equipment list and spaces that require cleaning and monitoring; developing and maintaining Master Sanitation Schedules, job plans, and periodic reviews; training employees on the program and associated activities; generating work orders for sanitation and pest control activities via a database system; and directing all pest control treatments (involves mandatory work over long weekends)
15% - Monitor insect activity and schedule spot treatments, sanitation activities, tailings reporting and staffing recommendations; set and monitor program milestones and goals
15% - Assist the Quality Manager in the development, implementation, and monitoring of the location HACCP program paperwork and records, transactions within SAP and assist with internal, customer, and other 3rd party quality and food safety audits
10% - Provide back-up support in the absence of the Quality Manager, other management members, and the Quality Technicians when needed; perform other duties as assigned
5% - Develop and engage the local Quality Management team and Warehouse Sanitation employees to maximize their potential in alignment with business needs
- Post-secondary degree in a science discipline OR completion of Grade 12 plus 4 years work experience in a production environment or food related discipline
- Minimum 1 year technical discipline experience in a lab or QA setting
- Knowledge in pest management including insect identification and control strategies
- Minimum 2 years supervisory experience with the ability to teach, coach, and mentor direct reports
- Food processing experience
- Ability to obtain and maintain a provincial license for Pesticide Applicator – Structural
- Demonstrated effective problem solving and decision-making abilities
- Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication skills
- Basic proficiency with computers (word processors, spreadsheets, databases). Working knowledge of SAP would be preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups within and outside reporting relationships
- Previous experience working in a work environment that emphasizes safety as a value
- Previous flour or dry milling operations or quality management experience
- Demonstrated leadership skills in managing a unionized environment
- Working knowledge of HACCP
This is a Term position, beginning April 2014 and carrying through until end of May 2015.