POSITION DESCRIPTION: Your main mission as a Buyer is to accomplish a balance of retaining our high service levels while at the same time maintaining as low a level of inventory as is possible. You will have an understanding of purchasing, and the principles of inventory control, and have an aptitude to learn our systems.
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: As part of the 7 member Purchasing Team and reporting to the Purchasing Manager, you will be responsible for maintaining optimal inventory levels, and for negotiating competitive prices, coordinating special promotions and deals. The buyer is responsible for producing Purchase Orders, and ensuring completeness of the order in the inventory management system. You will arrange and organize freight, minimizing costs as possible. You will calculate costs, and ensure timely resolution of supply issues and shipment discrepancies. You will also provide coverage for other Buyer’s absences.
Along with the rest of the team, you will be responsible for maintaining the positive supplier relations for which we are known, and you will learn, and keep, an informed industry overview.
In the coming months we will be instituting a new ERP system. Therefore having experience with system changes, and proven ability with learning and adapting to new systems, is an asset.
WORKING CONDITIONS: This position is fulltime (40hr/week), Monday to Friday.
- Familiarity with ‘replenishment’ purchasing duties, and an understanding of inventory control and purchasing principles.
- Minimum 1-2 yrs purchasing experience, preferably in food distribution.
- Possess strong communication, negotiation and organizational skills.
- An aptitude for numbers and details, with analytical and problem-solving capabilities is required.
- Proven ability with computers (ERP system, strong Excel), and office skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and with time constraints.
- Experience with freight is an asset.
- Knowledge of the natural foods or food industry is desirable.
- Education – Supply Management Training diploma (or equivalent courses or education).
APPLICATIONS DEADLINE: Submit your resume by Tuesday March 5, 2013, with a covering letter stating your relevant experience, salary expectations, and why you are interested in this position to:
Attn: Anita Pollard, HR Manager
Please note on subject line “Buyer – March 2013”
ABOUT US: For over 35 years, Horizon Distributors has been the leading distributor of organic, natural and gourmet foods in Western Canada. We carry a wide range of dry, cooler, frozen and household cleaning products, bulk and packaged, which we distribute to independent retailers and major natural and mass market grocery chains, natural foods stores, buying clubs, restaurants, bakeries, cafes, etc. We are known for our logistical excellence, personalized account service, industry best fill rates, and uncompromising commitment to integrity in product selection. And we are also known for the talented and wonderful people who work here! We are a 100% Canadian company, operating from a 150,000 sq. ft. facility in the Glenwood Industrial Park, South Burnaby.
We thank everyone for their interest, but only those advancing to the next stage of the recruitment process will be contacted.