Hope Mission Employee Reviews in Canada

Inner city ministry is rewarding, but the pay doesn't reflect your value as an employee
Case Manager/Chaplain (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 26, 2016
This job has been one of the best jobs I could ask for. Building relationships with individuals and pouring into their lives is rewarding. You get to see broken and abused individuals come to know the life changing Gospel of Christ.

The downside of this job is that there isn't much room to grow and you top out your pay after two years.

Upper management doen't desire to change this, even though they know it doesn't give valued employees incentive to stay in their position.
Pros
Free lunches, ministry work, Christian organization
Cons
stress, little pay, not much room to grow
Amazing staff, Difficult Boss
Follow-up Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AbJune 4, 2015
I can honestly say I've worked with the best staff I've ever met. No matter what department you find yourself in, there will always be an opportunity to serve the homeless population in ways that are greater than the job itself. Sometime something as simple as remembering someone's name can make a huge impact. Intake is 12 hour shifts 4 on 4 off, which can take a toll on your schedule, especially if you have family. Housing is your regular 9-5. It can be a tough environment and it takes an active and compassionate mind to keep from becoming hardened to the clientele, but persistence and honest love breaks through to people and you will see the results in changed lives.
There is, however, a power struggle in upper management that has left multiple staff members abandoned when in crisis or fired without just cause. It seems that running numbers through is the most important thing to them and the actual care and lasting success of both staff and clientele gets bypassed. Some of the people in management are fantastic, but unfortunately they're not the ones making all the decisions. This is the issue currently, and many people are pushing for a beneficial change. If you think you could be a solution, please apply! Turnover is high and there is a good chance you could find a placement.
Pros
Meals provided in some cases, Excellent personal growth opportunity, Great staff, Giving back to the community
Cons
Downtown, difficult environment, heartbreaking stories.
Good, safe work environment
Night Shift Intake Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 18, 2014
Hope Mission takes care of their staff and anyone who is in need that walks through the doors. Working night shift, we had to deal with the drunk, tired, grumpy people, but it was a great feeling getting to put a smile on their faces.
Pros
good pay, benefits
Cons
long hours, hard mentally
Fun job to work for
Intake lead hand (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 6, 2014
A great job that I enjoyed doing, as I was helping people on a daily basis and trying to help them get off of the streets, I was there for 3 years and enjoyed everyday of it.
Pros
helping others
Cons
long hours, nights
An Amazing Place in Downtown Edmonton
Woman's Addition and Kitchen Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 15, 2014
My typical day at work would include working in the woman's addiction facility. I would counsel the ladies and help facilitate the classes. The program is based on the 12 steps and 7 principles. I learned so much while working in this program, I can't even begin to explain. The hardest part of the job would be when one of the ladies relapsed. I had a connection with these ladies while they were in the program and it was hard to see them go through that. The most enjoyable part was their graduation. Seeing them walk proudly on stage, declaring this sobriety. It was great. The second part of my job was working in the Hope Mission kitchen. I would help the kitchen staff with preparing and serving the food everyday. I would be able to have conversations with some of the clients but it wasn't as often as I would have liked. Hope Mission is doing some amazing work in downtown Edmonton, if you have an opportunity to volunteer I know that it would be a great experience for you.
Hope Mission
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 1, 2014
Good place to work lots of really great people to associate with
Fun way to gain all around expierence
Leader (Former Employee) –  Evansburg, ABDecember 31, 2013
From, cleaning, cooking, to serving, learning that there are standards to be fulfilled. Helping younger ones out, teaching them new skills, managing their needs. Hardest part was waking up at 7am to cook for a whole campsite, easiest and most fun part was sitting down and eating for our break.
Pros
fun
Cons
2 weeks volenteering
Great people with good humors and just all around positive
Kitchen Hand Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 22, 2013
I enjoyed my time there, the people are great and nothing seems to get them down no matter the situation.