HomeStars Employee Reviews

Great place to work if you aren't in sales
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 February 2016
HomeStars is a mess right now. Our goal is to sell 8-10 new listings a month and generate about 25k in revenue. For this, you make a base salary of 35k (some get less) and you would make about $300 in commissions. We just got through the HomeStars Best of Awards for 2016 and this caused a whole other group of headaches. Our management decided to skip the 2015 HomeStars Best of Awards that should have been handed out and rename it 2016. This means to fill the gap they gave all the winners a badge they could use for 2015 as well. Not very trustworthy if you ask me but why would they? Clients still complain about how HomeStars has gone downhill since some major changes to the company that happened a few years back. They complain about this to the sales reps who really need to hit our targets so we don't get yelled at by managers. I would love to find another job in related marketing but a lot of the managers here have worked at competing companies and some of us have been told that people that leave HomeStars typically get a bad reference when employers call in to check on their work history with HomeStars.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
low pay, bad benefits, shady management
Interesting place to work
Sales (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 February 2016
It is very hard to make anything more than your base salary here as a salesperson. You work hard to build up trust with the contractors and finally when they sign on and buy a subscription you have to hand them over to another team. It gets frustrating when that team then cannot service the contractor and they end up cancelling their paid listing and then you no longer get paid on them. The base salary is very low but since you get to work from home I guess it all balances out. Another benefit is that you can have this as a secondary job as long as your hit your sales numbers.
Cons
Micromanagement, hard to make a decent income
Dream Job, Dream Employer
New Business Development - Western Canada (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 September 2015
There are not many companies like this! HomeStars is progressive and innovative. They are dedicated to developing and changing the industry. HomeStars has really set the bar high for other employers out there.

HomeStars is in-tune with what employees dream of. Top management & execs maintain a perfect level of involvement to make sure that we have the support and tools, not just to do the job, but enjoy doing it. Transparency is key, everyone in the company knows the direction and how they help. I have the best work-life balance I have ever had!

This is a company that is going places, BIG PLACES! I am stoked to be apart of it!
Pros
Travel, Table Tennis, Target Incentives, Health & Wellness Benefits, Yearly Lake Front Retreat, Work From Home (some)
Great place to work, amazing culture to be a part of
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 September 2015
Been a part of the HomeStars team for almost two years now. It's a great company to work for. The company isn't satisfied with mediocrity, which can be demonstrated by the rapid growth it's seen over the past few years. With rapid growth comes opportunities to take on additional responsibilities and roles within the company. HomeStars provides a product and service that home improvement companies need, it's great to be able to sell and deliver a product that helps business owners build their business while the site helps homeowners find reputable contractors and suppliers for their projects around their home.
Pros
Work from home, fast paced dynamic environment, more than fair compensation, solid management support
Cons
Takes discipline to work from home
Great company and online product to stand behind
Account Director (Current Employee) –  Downtown Toronto3 September 2015
A typical sales-focused day starts with Coffee! Then you will go over a selection of companies that you are responsible for monitoring and help them improve their online reputation with one of the Homestars plans that fits them best. Your conversations with companies are based around the topics like their SEO goals,getting customer reviews, marketing opportunities and how their Homestars profile can improve/support all of these areas. I have learned an incredible amount about 100s of different trades and their day-to-day lives. Also how customers chose to hire them based on these influencing factors.
There are a few things that make this job challenging. Right now we are in the early stages of transitioning from our old CRM system to SalesForce. This had been a big hurdle so far but everyday gets better as we fully adapt to the functionality, capabilities and limitations it offers. Another challenge is working from home. If you aren't use to it in a sales position you need to have self discipline. It can also be challenging in terms of communication with other staff members because you are at the mercy of email and I.M. The good news is that Homestars just finished a renovation of their own and now have a modern, massive office space to accommodate its staff. So if you want a break from working from home there is a bight open concept space for you to work in downtown.(lunches are often provided!)

The most enjoyable experiences I have had to date are always the messages and calls I get from my clients who get their first new client from a referral from their Homestars
  more... profile. Or from long time members who re-joins every year because its now a critical piece of their marketing plans and it helped them grow and expand their business over the years. It feels rewarding to offer a adverting service/product that is a great investment, that actually works.  less
Pros
Schedule flexibility
LOVE HomeStars!
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 September 2015
I can't comment on benefits and job security as I am a contractor for HomeStars, but I can tell you that I love this company! It allows me the flexibility to work part time from home most of the time and when I do go into the office, I get to work alongside an amazing group of fun and talented people that are passionate about HomeStars.
Pros
Free snacks, amazing people, fun environment!
Cons
Some people might not like that we are one of Canada's Fastest Growing Companies.