HomeSense Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
nice environment to work in
sales executive (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 2, 2015
A typical day at work would be unloading the new shipments on the shelves as the days go by we learned true value of team work cause without it its impossible to take care of the work load hardest part of the job was when a customer purchased a relatively heavy item and we had to Cary it out to their transportation
I wish I had stayed here
Store Associate (Former Employee), Newmarket, ONJune 9, 2015
Management runs a tight ship, mostly by working hard along side the rank and file employees. Their team building exercises were fun and well attended. I never met such a variety of people who knew how to show common respect and was inspired to be more available and productive. I miss them all very much.
Retail
Store Associate (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABOctober 6, 2015
Typical day would consist of moving furniture and other home accessories from the warehouse to the store floor. I learned people skills from working at HomeSense.
n/a
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 28, 2015
Love the decor stuff, flexible hours management is very nice. their discount days are pretty useless. you don't really save a lot. they should offer upto 30% off to employees
Great Job
Full-Time Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee), Barrie, ONApril 8, 2015
Pros: opportunity
Cons: Management
The first year of employment I was hired as temporary and proved myself to become a part time employee. After the first year I worked hard and received full time. This job is physically demanding. I lift furniture on a daily basis and rearranged the store daily. Always busy serving customers, 10 foot 10 second rule.
a very productive and fun place.
Store Associate (Current Employee), Ajax, ONMay 5, 2015
Pros: Management is there to help
Cons: not that i can complain
The best job that i have ever held.There is so much help if you need it.I enjoy the interaction with different people everyday.
Punctual, well organized and a team player.
Customer Service / Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: great atmosphere
This was a friendly atmosphere with a décor I feel very comfortable to be around. Quality management was much respected. I enjoyed working with the customers and helping them with their needs. Working with the staff was great.

I did not find anything difficult with this part-time assignment other than it ended too soon. Also working evenings and weekends are not a concern .
Good people to work with
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 30, 2015
I worked here for a year and built good relationships. Everyone was very friendly and helpful whenever you needed assistance. The managers were very accomodating as well.
Fast paced environment with core company values which help you grow as an individual.
Retail Clerk (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONApril 28, 2012
Pros: friendly environment, free lunches, rewarded for work, bake sale fundraisers
Cons: hard work and physically draining at times
Homsense offers you the opportunity to work with numerous co-workers and customers. Their core values include, but are not limited to: diversity, integrity, customer satisfaction, teamwork, open communication, mutual respect and caring.
Busy but exciting
Store Associate (Former Employee), Mississauga,ONTOctober 13, 2013
Pros: long hours
Cons: seasonal job
A typical day at work would include being at work at 7 in the morning and unloading a truck and putting the merchandise on the sales floor. What I learned was the ways on how to properly unload a truck. My management was very helpful. My co-workers were well trained. The hardest part of the job was heavy lifting. The most enjoyable part of the job was unloading a truck.
Friendly work environment with the oppurtunity to gain experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Kelowna BCJuly 7, 2013
Pros: made a new group of friends
Cons: inconsistency in hours
At Mimi's there was no such thing as an "average" shift, even though we had consistent food which of course brought in consistent regualars. Walking in the front door the buzz of a busy restaurant was an equivelant to the adreneline of preparing for an important soccer game. The management were the coaches, always available to talk when needed and got frusterated when things were not going as accordingly to plan. The support staff represented the defenders and midfielders who were there to protect the servers. Finally the kitchen staff were the goalies; put in the back as a last defence, if the food was excellent everyone was happy and we had nothing to worry about. At Mimi's we werent just "teammates" we were a family.
HomeSense
Store Associate (Former Employee), toronto - downtown areaFebruary 11, 2015
unstable hours, can't live on it, management keeping saying not full time available, you have to clean the bathroom and mop the floor at the end of the night. can't expect too much from a retail minimum wage job.
Enjoying the experience
Associate Homesense (Current Employee), OntarioApril 22, 2015
Pros: Cross training in different departments
Cons: LImited opportunties for full time
Lots to learn, opportunities for full time are limited but great place for part time work in retail. Cross training in different areas so really like the variety of tasks.
No Appreciation
PERMANENT PART-TIME SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), London, ONSeptember 25, 2012
Pros: get to see cool new products
Cons: thefts, con artists, 10% discount for employees!
Working at Homesense is exhausting. The managers I worked with were terrible at allotting duties. Working in a zone does not mean working in just that zone. You run around the store frequently, especially if you have to move furniture. And you're ALWAYS on call to move bought products into people's vehicles. On a normal day, you're working in three places at once. At least I did. Co-workers were cutthroat: most tried to sabotage my job with catty talk to management behind my back.
The most enjoyable part of the job was finding new products on the trucks you've never seen before. Hardest part of the job was keeping up with thieves....because Homesense is cheap products, people like to steal often in there.
A cool part of the job for the three years I worked there was the knowledge on home products, remedies and gadgets available on the market, and what is best for your house.
hectic work environment
data entry clerk/receptionist/filing clerk (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 3, 2013
Pros: frequent holidays
Cons: you dont get paid for holidays and no benefits what so ever
it is a very fast past time conscious environment. I dealt with customers on a daily basis both in person and over the phone. I took customers orders and entered them into the system and made sure they were shipped out on time. I also kept customers up to date about their orders. I also did filing for the whole company both manual filing and updating the files on the computer system. I also helped reception answer calls and transfer calls.
Life at Homesense
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: flexible with my school schedule
Cons: not enough hours
A typical day at work contains being at the cash, talking with and helping customers with their needs and wants. I also work on the sales floor, making sure displays are due, store looks aestheticaly pleasing to the eye thus being easy to shop for the customer. Co-workers are friendly and we work together to make sure each section is organized. I believe at my location, management could be better in a sense where things could be more organized. I find that a lot of displays are poorly made due to management decisions on what should be displayed. A lot of the time i walk by and think to myself that certain displays are ugly and take initiative to change what i can when I have free time. The hardest part of working in retail is knowing I'm getting paid such little amounts for the amount of work I put in. I work a lot harder than those who work at for example McDonalds and get paid exactly the same. Also the discount is ridiculous, it doesn't even cover tax. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I help a customer and they are more than happy with their purchases. I like giving my opinion to people about which piece of furniture will look better in their house and help them create a space thats warm and cozy. I've been in retail for some time now so I understand how to market items and what customer service is all about. Ive learnt patience and time managament skills due to the fact that I have many projects to do in a day and need to get it done.
Great workplace, very friendly
associate (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 8, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: a lot of heavy lifting
A typical day at Homesense is getting the truck unloaded, unpacking boxes and getting merchandise out on the sales floor. Organizing and making the store look great and shop-able. Building furniture and hanging big rugs.
I've learned a lot working in retail, for example, having great customer service, going out of my way to help a customer. I've learn great leadership skills when it comes to working in teams and training new associates. I also have a great knowledge of the product we carry, from bedding to home decorating to kitchen appliances and food. My favourite part of working at Homesense is working with such great people. We're just a big family.
The hardest part of my job is lifting and carrying furniture and rugs.
A busy, nicely organized store.
Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, Market MallJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: always new products to put out on floor, store was always busy.
Cons: management sometimes didnt run store in same manner, multiple managers.
I worked as a sales/cashier associate. On the floor, I would help customers, receive stock, price and put on floor, keep area tidy. As a cashier, I would help customers through the purchase process, and wrap products as necessary and ensure the customers needs were met in their visit to store.
unappreciative management
associate (Former Employee), Kelowna,BCOctober 30, 2012
Pros: first look at new products, co-workers
Cons: lots of backbiting by management! don't be fooled!
High expectations from unappreciative store management. Over worked and under paid workers.Expect ridiculous work expectations with suck up food payoffs! Winners is the same story as well! Revolving door of employees says ALOT about company. Even PROMOTED co-workers have a SHORT lifespan with company!!!
A great place to work.
Customer Service Operational Manager (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, AlbertaAugust 12, 2013
Typical day at work would be opening the store, receiving shipments and doing all the paperwork that comes with that.
Doing operational paperwork ex. daily schedules.
Learnt management skills, customer service skills and problem solving skills.
I had a great supportive management team.
The most enjoyable part of my job was dealing with the regular customers.