HomeSense Employee Reviews

Productive and energetic environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 March 2016
I worked customer service, so returns , stocking, cashier duties, working with the public. It was a very fast paced environment. It was a very diverse staff environment and everyone was a delight to work with, i loved my bosses and they were very undertstanding and supportive.
Pros
nice co workers
Cons
not so understanding in emergency situations
Friendly atmosphere
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON7 May 2016
Nice place to work, but pay could be better. Great associates, although it is tiring work, as you have to be on your feet all day.
A simple and positive place to work.
Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 February 2014
It was a change of pace to take on a job at homesense. Without having to remain on a cash register all day I was able to move around and get more things done throughout the shift. Homesense was much like any other department store atmosphere.
Pros
Nice, Organized
Cons
Mall hours, Salary
sams club
Assistant Manager, Customer Service and Operations (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON7 April 2016
great potential for growth. Many opportunities to work with buyers, replenishment team in the head office. Hard work is recognised in the Sams club
Fast-pace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 February 2016
Fast-pace work environment, enjoyable staff. This was a fairly decent workplace, but unfortunately the management made no efforts to make new-comers feel welcome.
Great Corporate Culture
Customer Service Representative and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 April 2015
Overall I was very impressed with the corporate-culture, which stressed openness an inclusiveness. The typical work day consisted of several smiles from friendly co-workers, which transitioned to dealings with generally positive customers and a decent looking space with upbeat music to get you through. Management when I was there were very down to earth but could also get things done. They also entrusted their staff with responsibilities which increases growth potential and eases the burden off the few.
Pros
Great Corporate-Culture
Cons
The turnover rate, particularly for managers and the like, was significant and at times disorienting.
Good workplace with variety of tasks
Sales Associate / Customer Service/ Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 February 2016
Day consists of receiving morning truck shipment, stocking sales floor, merchandising, and customer service. As well as spending time being a cashier and loading merchandise into customer vehicles.
fun job, great for experience, bad for advancement
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 February 2016
My experience at Homesense was not the greatest. Maybe for other people it wasn't as bad and some probably really enjoyed it, but personally I don't think it was at all what I expected it to be. First of all, during the orientation they emphasize how much they want to create a growing and enjoyable work environment for you, and how they're always there to answer your questions, and how you should ALWAYS ask when you need help with anything, but as soon as you don't understand something or need clarification they look at you as if you're incompetent. You are also expected to do a numerous amount of tasks at once and in a short period of time, and once you spend a bit longer at one task than the other, you're always getting picked on for it or scolded at. The job itself is amazing for gaining customer service experience and learning how to handle customer complaints and tough situations (especially if you're on cash) the co-workers were great, very positive and friendly attitudes, however, management was different. For this location most of them had short patience/ short temper and were not willing to help you grow and expand your knowledge, also a lot of the full-time workers were much more favored and not given such a hard time and definitely more respect, unlike me who was in school at the time. The job itself was fun for learning and gaining new experience but was extremely hard to advance your position, and not worth putting up with disrespectful behavior from the managers.
Pros
10% discount on store items, insurance after one year seniority
Cons
lots of heavy lifting and demanding customers
Good place to work for your first high school job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton11 September 2015
Working at HomeSense is enjoyable. Depending on which store you work at, most of the staff is friendly and helpful. The customers that we get at this kind of business, depending on the location again, can be good and bad. For my location being in Brampton, the customers are mostly bad. But, this issue can be found at most retail stores. I would recommend this job to students who are in high school.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Lack of management organization
Productive and fun workplace with experienced and friendly coworkers
sales associate (Former Employee) –  toronto, on14 April 2015
HomeSense was a great first job. I learnt a lot, learned a lot about how to deal with the public, how to meet customers needs and make people happy. The staff was really welcoming and made me work hard and learn a lot along the way. There are a lot of talented and supportive associates who made me learn everything I need to know about the workplace. It was a great first job experience, and i now feel like thanks to everyone there I can go forth in future endeavours with sufficient confidence and knowledge.
Pros
friendly and supportive coworkers
Cons
not a lot of hours
fun, and organized
Sales associate (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON9 February 2016
I enjoyed working here for as long as i did. Everyone is respectable, and hard working. I was mainly responsible for the kitchen section when i worked there.
An Unexpected Great Experience
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON29 April 2015
I applied to Homesense after graduating from Fleming College with the intention of working at the store for the summer until I found a job within my field of study. Homesense was really flexible in providing a schedule that worked around my job search.
When I decided to go back to school and change my field of interest, Homesense once again worked around my schedule to allow me to balance a full course load at Georgian while maintaining enough hours at work to help pay for the costs of being at school.
Finally, I can't say enough good things about the staff - management, full-timers, part-timers, and other students - everyone is extremely friendly and hard-working.
Pros
Great staff, great work environment
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON26 January 2016
A typical day generally involves being on cash (depending on how busy it is you many be on cash quite often). You will be assigned to one or two zones in the store in which you will get to know it well enough to run when your coordinator is not there. Cashiers may ask you to find prices for them. Otherwise you are to get all merchandise onto the sales floor that comes off the truck mon-fri, your next responsibility is to make sure you complete any 'projects' your coordinator assigns you and make sure your section is clean.
I had an amazing team and am glad I got the experience working for them. They really give you the ability to make decision on your own as much as possible and it teaches you great customer service.
Management often does games and makes most huddles engaging and enjoyable. Total open door policy. You learn great merchandising skills here as management and coordinators are continuously teaching you and working with you, also, there;s a merch book to give you the run down if you need.
Hardest part of the job that I find is multi-tasking when there's few people working. They do not schedule a lot of people to work when it is not their busy season (Christmas).
The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with customers, most are very easy going and fun to talk to. Another is putting together displays, you can often have fun with it (following their rules) and feel proud of it after too when everyone notices it. The "JOY" committee is a great way to show your co-workers that you appreciate something they've done for you at work. A simple sticky note
  more... saying "thanks for your help" really helps you through a hectic day! I definitely suggest working for HomeSense!  less
Pros
Cons
Few hours
Its a good place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB17 January 2016
The managers and other associates are all good to work with. They provide snacks occasionally as well as drinks. When it's busy it can be a little overwhelming.
Good work place
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON26 August 2015
re very good friendly people who give opportunity, a great place for part time employment while in school but not a career job ability to move up within the company can take a long time. Great environment enjoy working here but unfortunately need something better with better pay.
Pros
lots of parties
Cons
minimuk wage
Homesense Review
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ON27 May 2015
A typical day at work consisted of either being on cash or on the sales floor stocking merchandise. I learned many customer service skills that I will be able to use in future jobs. The management at my location was a very positive group of people always encouraging us to do our best. The hardest part of the job was probably the lack of hours I received and the most enjoyable part was dealing with customers. I really enjoy working with people and making sure all their needs are met.
Pros
working amoungst great people
Cons
very little hours
Busy but exciting
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga,ONT13 October 2013
A typical day at work would include being at work at 7 in the morning and unloading a truck and putting the merchandise on the sales floor. What I learned was the ways on how to properly unload a truck. My management was very helpful. My co-workers were well trained. The hardest part of the job was heavy lifting. The most enjoyable part of the job was unloading a truck.
Pros
Cons
seasonal job
n/a
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 January 2016
Always a fun place to work. As long as your get your job done there is nothing to worry about the people and nice and welcoming
Friendly work environment with the oppurtunity to gain experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kelowna BC7 July 2013
At Mimi's there was no such thing as an "average" shift, even though we had consistent food which of course brought in consistent regualars. Walking in the front door the buzz of a busy restaurant was an equivelant to the adreneline of preparing for an important soccer game. The management were the coaches, always available to talk when needed and got frusterated when things were not going as accordingly to plan. The support staff represented the defenders and midfielders who were there to protect the servers. Finally the kitchen staff were the goalies; put in the back as a last defence, if the food was excellent everyone was happy and we had nothing to worry about. At Mimi's we werent just "teammates" we were a family.
Pros
Made a new group of friends
Cons
Inconsistency in hours
Work atmosphere was excellent. Everyone was friendly.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 April 2015
A typical day was long, sometimes quite. I learned how to deal with customers that were rude. Management was good. The co-workers were really friendly, always looking out for each other. Hardest part of the job was dealing with customers that were rude and arrogant, you had to remain calm. The enjoyable part of the job was all the customers who were friendly or helping some people on the decisions of certain products and how they looked with others. Giving my opinion and putting a smile on the customers face was enjoyable.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Scheduling