HomeSense

HomeSense Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
pathetic
sales floor rep. (Former Employee), Abbotsford, b.c.December 24, 2013
Pros: none :)
Cons: too many to list
The management team is nothing but lame
Seriously... They expect so much from you but don't want to pay you. And on top of that, they treat you like c**p.
Busy but exciting
Store Associate (Former Employee), Mississauga,ONTOctober 13, 2013
Pros: long hours
Cons: seasonal job
A typical day at work would include being at work at 7 in the morning and unloading a truck and putting the merchandise on the sales floor. What I learned was the ways on how to properly unload a truck. My management was very helpful. My co-workers were well trained. The hardest part of the job was heavy lifting. The most enjoyable part of the job was unloading a truck.
hectic work environment
data entry clerk/receptionist/filing clerk (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 3, 2013
Pros: frequent holidays
Cons: you dont get paid for holidays and no benefits what so ever
it is a very fast past time conscious environment. I dealt with customers on a daily basis both in person and over the phone. I took customers orders and entered them into the system and made sure they were shipped out on time. I also kept customers up to date about their orders. I also did filing for the whole company both manual filing and updating the files on the computer system. I also helped reception answer calls and transfer calls.
A great place to work.
Customer Service Operational Manager (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, AlbertaAugust 12, 2013
Typical day at work would be opening the store, receiving shipments and doing all the paperwork that comes with that.
Doing operational paperwork ex. daily schedules.
Learnt management skills, customer service skills and problem solving skills.
I had a great supportive management team.
The most enjoyable part of my job was dealing with the regular customers.
Friendly work environment with the oppurtunity to gain experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Kelowna BCJuly 7, 2013
Pros: made a new group of friends
Cons: inconsistency in hours
At Mimi's there was no such thing as an "average" shift, even though we had consistent food which of course brought in consistent regualars. Walking in the front door the buzz of a busy restaurant was an equivelant to the adreneline of preparing for an important soccer game. The management were the coaches, always available to talk when needed and got frusterated when things were not going as accordingly to plan. The support staff represented the defenders and midfielders who were there to protect the servers. Finally the kitchen staff were the goalies; put in the back as a last defence, if the food was excellent everyone was happy and we had nothing to worry about. At Mimi's we werent just "teammates" we were a family.
I enjoy working there only I need more hours to work.
Cashier/Customer Service,cashier asscociate (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 4, 2013
Cons: we are not getting enough hours.
My typical day at work would be starting with emptying the truck and organizing every department with 5 to 6 people.Then take the tank that we are schedule to do on the floor and display them. In the mean while if you are called on cash leave everything and go for it.My co-workers are very friendly and helpful,The hardest part of the job is when the truck is not full and we have to go home doing a few hours.
A nice store full of nice things.
Customer Service Co-ordinator (Current Employee), Calgary, AlbertaApril 15, 2013
Pros: free parking, nice products to purchase.
Cons: limited room for advancement.
Atypical day at work includes setting up the front line for business. scheduling workers, assigning tasks and following up, ensuring efficient and friendly transactions for customers in this large, busy retail establishment.
Fast paced well organised and fun
Warehouse Merchandise Manager (Current Employee), Guelph. onFebruary 6, 2013
Pros: monday to friday work week
Cons: no overtime when absolutely needed
Homesence is a consumer orientated retail store with a friendly environment. From loading dock to sales floor the flow of merchandise is very fast and efficient sometimes a 12 to 15 pallet/250 carton delivery can be processed and sale ready by 12pm.

March 26, 2013

*Homesense....I mean you worked there

great place to work
Retail Service Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 1, 2013
way better than other places to shop and work for cheap and the best deals
HomeSense Expierence
Cashier (Former Employee), Moncton, NBJanuary 6, 2013
I absolutley loved working at HomeSense , the people I worked with were great and so were the customers.
Busy Retail place
Customer Service Associate -Seasonal (Former Employee), Ancaster, ONDecember 14, 2012
Pros: great staff
Cons: management is in need for better communication
Great staff, busy enviroment
Love decorating in the store, putting displays together
Great techniques for decorating
Bad work environment...Unorganized management...treats their staff like slaves
sales associate (Current Employee), B.C.November 23, 2012
Pros: no pros
Cons: too many cons to list
Hands down the worst place I have ever worked at! I find it hard to believe that anyone who wrote a good review actually works there.This is a minimum wage job,don't expect any benefits because they have very few full time workers.At my store they only post the schedule a week in advance if your lucky and then change it and expect people to be available at ALL times.There is no work/life balance! The management is terrible,god forbid you make plans on your day off because if they feel like it they'll call you in and you better go,if not they'll tell you you have to be "flexable" at "all times".I could go on and on about this company,if minimum wage and no benefits,unpleasant management and poor working conditions are what your looking for by all means apply.
unappreciative management
associate (Former Employee), Kelowna,BCOctober 30, 2012
Pros: first look at new products, co-workers
Cons: lots of backbiting by management! don't be fooled!
High expectations from unappreciative store management. Over worked and under paid workers.Expect ridiculous work expectations with suck up food payoffs! Winners is the same story as well! Revolving door of employees says ALOT about company. Even PROMOTED co-workers have a SHORT lifespan with company!!!
Enjoyable place to work and diverse customers
Sales Associate (Current Employee), London, ONOctober 16, 2012
Pros: incentive program
Cons: less breaks
Different duties throughout the day:
Cash office work (previous day's business)
Enjoy serving customers at front line (checkout)
End the day with Markdowns (sometimes the whole shift is Markdowns)
Fast paced environment, which will provide you with exceptional retail experience.
Customer Service Representative, Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 7, 2012
Pros: pizza lunches from time to time
Cons: long shifts, quizzes
A typical day would include an overflow of customers which results in everything becoming increasingly fast paced. As a customer service representative I have learned to be very efficient, answering phone calls, organizing carryouts and cashing customers out all while making sure to provide positive customer service. The hardest part about the job would be handling many things at once, such as making sure your previous customer gets their carryout, while taking on a new customer, or paging managers and coordinators for markdowns and faulty returns. Also the clientelle also differs based on location, therefore as an associate, it will become easy to diffrentiate the demands and expectations of customers based on the demographic they are coming from. Acccurately enough, HomeSense stock will also differ based on which location you are working at. Management is also very good depending on the team and how they are. Co-workers make homesense an enjoyable experience, for I had the benefit of working with great people. Aside from that, all the beautiful merchandise that comes into the store also made it a little enjoyable.
Generative and good workplace.
Associate (Former Employee), London, ONOctober 2, 2012
it was great Experince to work in strong company, I received appropriate treatment from the company Management. the hadest part of the job that there was not enough hours which put me in tight budget spending. the most enjoyable part that i met good people.
No Appreciation
PERMANENT PART-TIME SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), London, ONSeptember 25, 2012
Pros: get to see cool new products
Cons: thefts, con artists, 10% discount for employees!
Working at Homesense is exhausting. The managers I worked with were terrible at allotting duties. Working in a zone does not mean working in just that zone. You run around the store frequently, especially if you have to move furniture. And you're ALWAYS on call to move bought products into people's vehicles. On a normal day, you're working in three places at once. At least I did. Co-workers were cutthroat: most tried to sabotage my job with catty talk to management behind my back.
The most enjoyable part of the job was finding new products on the trucks you've never seen before. Hardest part of the job was keeping up with thieves....because Homesense is cheap products, people like to steal often in there.
A cool part of the job for the three years I worked there was the knowledge on home products, remedies and gadgets available on the market, and what is best for your house.
A very Cultured enviroment.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), White Rock, BCJune 7, 2012
Pros: rewards, very friendly, parties
Cons: for me kind of far from home
One of the best employers by far. Gives you equal opportunities and always focuses on its employees.
Enjoyable company
Cashier (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 28, 2012
While I worked for Homesense. I was able to learn new things and meet different people everyday. The staff had great product knowledge.
Fast paced environment with core company values which help you grow as an individual.
Retail Clerk (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONApril 28, 2012
Pros: friendly environment, free lunches, rewarded for work, bake sale fundraisers
Cons: hard work and physically draining at times
Homsense offers you the opportunity to work with numerous co-workers and customers. Their core values include, but are not limited to: diversity, integrity, customer satisfaction, teamwork, open communication, mutual respect and caring.