HomeSense Employee Reviews

Interesting, somewhat predictable, with nice people (for the most part)
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 May 2016
Typical days were unloading trucks and putting merchandise on the floor. Days were routine, predictable. Co-workers were, for most part, great- there was some drama and huge gossips, but not bad overall. 4 managers- 2 were amazing, 1 showed indifference towards me. The other was quite aggressive and in your face- someone that picked favourites and those to pick on and was best avoided if you were the latter. She also wasn't the kindest to part-timers. Worst thing was just how despite filling in availability forms, they didn't always listen, which created some issues for me balancing family responsibility with work there. However, I worked there for about a year, and it was only the last couple of months when things turned sour. Overall, not a bad place, and definitely should be considered by those looking for a job!
good job family balance
Merchandising and Processing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS20 July 2016
good place to work as far as retail goes, pay not so great. lots of pressure to get large quantities of work done in a short time. always understaff to save money putting more pressure on employees
Great place
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON20 September 2016
I really enjoyed working here because they were amazing people. They knew what they were doing and they knew how to train people and make sure they're on the right track.
hectic work environment
data entry clerk/receptionist/filing clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 September 2013
it is a very fast past time conscious environment. I dealt with customers on a daily basis both in person and over the phone. I took customers orders and entered them into the system and made sure they were shipped out on time. I also kept customers up to date about their orders. I also did filing for the whole company both manual filing and updating the files on the computer system. I also helped reception answer calls and transfer calls.
Pros
frequent holidays
Cons
you dont get paid for holidays and no benefits what so ever
Fast paced environment with core company values which help you grow as an individual.
Retail Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 April 2012
Homsense offers you the opportunity to work with numerous co-workers and customers. Their core values include, but are not limited to: diversity, integrity, customer satisfaction, teamwork, open communication, mutual respect and caring.
Pros
friendly environment, free lunches, rewarded for work, bake sale fundraisers
Cons
hard work and physically draining at times
Very friendly, safe, reputable place to work, but there is not enough hours for everyone.
DECK ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON2 February 2016
A typical day at HomeSense involves bringing product from the warehouse and arranging the product according to merchandising standards. This is very interesting and fun as I have learned some great decorating techniques along the way.

Management is professional, hard-working, and great to everyone. Co-workers are all a great team and I would love to work more for this company, but being a part-time employee does not allow for as many hours I require.

The hardest part of this job would be the heavy lifting. We lift very large mirrors, furniture and art work each shift. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers find their "perfect" item.
Pros
Fun, happy, and never boring
Cons
Not enough shifts
Wouldn't recommend
Customer Service - Mississauga (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 April 2016
Customer Service was often busy, treated customers with dignity, I was very friendly however Management was also helpful, my co-workers was great people, the hardest part of the job was getting people to leave after the store close and they still browsing, the most enjoyable part was packing away stuff on the shelves it was great.
Pros
we had free organic chips sometimes, or cake if its a birthday or snacks other times
Cons
not enough hours
Efficient and customer orientated
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON17 May 2016
HomeSense was a great company to work for with lots of room for job advancement. Enjoyed getting to work with customers on a daily basis. Learned a lot about dealing with customers.
A simple and positive place to work.
Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 February 2014
It was a change of pace to take on a job at homesense. Without having to remain on a cash register all day I was able to move around and get more things done throughout the shift. Homesense was much like any other department store atmosphere.
Pros
Nice, Organized
Cons
Mall hours, Salary
Fast paced and social workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON5 May 2016
The tasks in a day at HomSense were very simple and had a sense of urgency. Each day seemed the same and there was little change in the duties which made the job predictable. I enjoyed the team based environment and would recommend this job to anyone interested in retail.
Pros
Work parties
Cons
Short shifts
Productive and energetic environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 March 2016
I worked customer service, so returns , stocking, cashier duties, working with the public. It was a very fast paced environment. It was a very diverse staff environment and everyone was a delight to work with, i loved my bosses and they were very undertstanding and supportive.
Pros
nice co workers
Cons
not so understanding in emergency situations
Friendly atmosphere
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON7 May 2016
Nice place to work, but pay could be better. Great associates, although it is tiring work, as you have to be on your feet all day.
Great Corporate Culture
Customer Service Representative and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 April 2015
Overall I was very impressed with the corporate-culture, which stressed openness an inclusiveness. The typical work day consisted of several smiles from friendly co-workers, which transitioned to dealings with generally positive customers and a decent looking space with upbeat music to get you through. Management when I was there were very down to earth but could also get things done. They also entrusted their staff with responsibilities which increases growth potential and eases the burden off the few.
Pros
Great Corporate-Culture
Cons
The turnover rate, particularly for managers and the like, was significant and at times disorienting.
sams club
Assistant Manager, Customer Service and Operations (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON7 April 2016
great potential for growth. Many opportunities to work with buyers, replenishment team in the head office. Hard work is recognised in the Sams club
Fast-pace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 February 2016
Fast-pace work environment, enjoyable staff. This was a fairly decent workplace, but unfortunately the management made no efforts to make new-comers feel welcome.
Productive and fun workplace with experienced and friendly coworkers
sales associate (Former Employee) –  toronto, on14 April 2015
HomeSense was a great first job. I learnt a lot, learned a lot about how to deal with the public, how to meet customers needs and make people happy. The staff was really welcoming and made me work hard and learn a lot along the way. There are a lot of talented and supportive associates who made me learn everything I need to know about the workplace. It was a great first job experience, and i now feel like thanks to everyone there I can go forth in future endeavours with sufficient confidence and knowledge.
Pros
friendly and supportive coworkers
Cons
not a lot of hours
An Unexpected Great Experience
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON29 April 2015
I applied to Homesense after graduating from Fleming College with the intention of working at the store for the summer until I found a job within my field of study. Homesense was really flexible in providing a schedule that worked around my job search.
When I decided to go back to school and change my field of interest, Homesense once again worked around my schedule to allow me to balance a full course load at Georgian while maintaining enough hours at work to help pay for the costs of being at school.
Finally, I can't say enough good things about the staff - management, full-timers, part-timers, and other students - everyone is extremely friendly and hard-working.
Pros
Great staff, great work environment
Busy but exciting
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga,ONT13 October 2013
A typical day at work would include being at work at 7 in the morning and unloading a truck and putting the merchandise on the sales floor. What I learned was the ways on how to properly unload a truck. My management was very helpful. My co-workers were well trained. The hardest part of the job was heavy lifting. The most enjoyable part of the job was unloading a truck.
Pros
Cons
seasonal job
Good place to work for your first high school job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton11 September 2015
Working at HomeSense is enjoyable. Depending on which store you work at, most of the staff is friendly and helpful. The customers that we get at this kind of business, depending on the location again, can be good and bad. For my location being in Brampton, the customers are mostly bad. But, this issue can be found at most retail stores. I would recommend this job to students who are in high school.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Lack of management organization
Friendly work environment with the oppurtunity to gain experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kelowna BC7 July 2013
At Mimi's there was no such thing as an "average" shift, even though we had consistent food which of course brought in consistent regualars. Walking in the front door the buzz of a busy restaurant was an equivelant to the adreneline of preparing for an important soccer game. The management were the coaches, always available to talk when needed and got frusterated when things were not going as accordingly to plan. The support staff represented the defenders and midfielders who were there to protect the servers. Finally the kitchen staff were the goalies; put in the back as a last defence, if the food was excellent everyone was happy and we had nothing to worry about. At Mimi's we werent just "teammates" we were a family.
Pros
Made a new group of friends
Cons
Inconsistency in hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HomeSense. Our community is ready to answer.