HomeSense Employee Reviews

Very friendly, safe, reputable place to work, but there is not enough hours for everyone.
DECK ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON2 February 2016
A typical day at HomeSense involves bringing product from the warehouse and arranging the product according to merchandising standards. This is very interesting and fun as I have learned some great decorating techniques along the way.

Management is professional, hard-working, and great to everyone. Co-workers are all a great team and I would love to work more for this company, but being a part-time employee does not allow for as many hours I require.

The hardest part of this job would be the heavy lifting. We lift very large mirrors, furniture and art work each shift. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers find their "perfect" item.
Pros
Fun, happy, and never boring
Cons
Not enough shifts
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON26 January 2016
A typical day generally involves being on cash (depending on how busy it is you many be on cash quite often). You will be assigned to one or two zones in the store in which you will get to know it well enough to run when your coordinator is not there. Cashiers may ask you to find prices for them. Otherwise you are to get all merchandise onto the sales floor that comes off the truck mon-fri, your next responsibility is to make sure you complete any 'projects' your coordinator assigns you and make sure your section is clean.
I had an amazing team and am glad I got the experience working for them. They really give you the ability to make decision on your own as much as possible and it teaches you great customer service.
Management often does games and makes most huddles engaging and enjoyable. Total open door policy. You learn great merchandising skills here as management and coordinators are continuously teaching you and working with you, also, there;s a merch book to give you the run down if you need.
Hardest part of the job that I find is multi-tasking when there's few people working. They do not schedule a lot of people to work when it is not their busy season (Christmas).
The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with customers, most are very easy going and fun to talk to. Another is putting together displays, you can often have fun with it (following their rules) and feel proud of it after too when everyone notices it. The "JOY" committee is a great way to show your co-workers that you appreciate something they've done for you at work. A simple sticky note
  more... saying "thanks for your help" really helps you through a hectic day! I definitely suggest working for HomeSense!  less
Pros
Cons
Few hours
n/a
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 January 2016
Always a fun place to work. As long as your get your job done there is nothing to worry about the people and nice and welcoming
Its a good place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB17 January 2016
The managers and other associates are all good to work with. They provide snacks occasionally as well as drinks. When it's busy it can be a little overwhelming.
HomeSense
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON14 October 2015
Great place to work with exceptional associates and exceptional management team comes with 10% discount aswell so who can argue
Retail
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB6 October 2015
Typical day would consist of moving furniture and other home accessories from the warehouse to the store floor. I learned people skills from working at HomeSense.
nice environment to work in
sales executive (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 October 2015
A typical day at work would be unloading the new shipments on the shelves as the days go by we learned true value of team work cause without it its impossible to take care of the work load hardest part of the job was when a customer purchased a relatively heavy item and we had to Cary it out to their transportation
Good place to work for your first high school job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton11 September 2015
Working at HomeSense is enjoyable. Depending on which store you work at, most of the staff is friendly and helpful. The customers that we get at this kind of business, depending on the location again, can be good and bad. For my location being in Brampton, the customers are mostly bad. But, this issue can be found at most retail stores. I would recommend this job to students who are in high school.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Lack of management organization
Good work place
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON26 August 2015
re very good friendly people who give opportunity, a great place for part time employment while in school but not a career job ability to move up within the company can take a long time. Great environment enjoy working here but unfortunately need something better with better pay.
Pros
lots of parties
Cons
minimuk wage
Great Place to work
Warehouse Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON10 August 2015
Great place to work. Fun and engaging staff and Management. chance to work on your own as well as with a team .Time management skills are an asset
Good people to work with
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 July 2015
I worked here for a year and built good relationships. Everyone was very friendly and helpful whenever you needed assistance. The managers were very accomodating as well.
I wish I had stayed here
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON9 June 2015
Management runs a tight ship, mostly by working hard along side the rank and file employees. Their team building exercises were fun and well attended. I never met such a variety of people who knew how to show common respect and was inspired to be more available and productive. I miss them all very much.
n/a
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 May 2015
Love the decor stuff, flexible hours management is very nice. their discount days are pretty useless. you don't really save a lot. they should offer upto 30% off to employees
Homesense Review
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ON27 May 2015
A typical day at work consisted of either being on cash or on the sales floor stocking merchandise. I learned many customer service skills that I will be able to use in future jobs. The management at my location was a very positive group of people always encouraging us to do our best. The hardest part of the job was probably the lack of hours I received and the most enjoyable part was dealing with customers. I really enjoy working with people and making sure all their needs are met.
Pros
working amoungst great people
Cons
very little hours
a very productive and fun place.
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON5 May 2015
The best job that i have ever held.There is so much help if you need it.I enjoy the interaction with different people everyday.
Pros
Management is there to help
Cons
not that i can complain
An Unexpected Great Experience
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON29 April 2015
I applied to Homesense after graduating from Fleming College with the intention of working at the store for the summer until I found a job within my field of study. Homesense was really flexible in providing a schedule that worked around my job search.
When I decided to go back to school and change my field of interest, Homesense once again worked around my schedule to allow me to balance a full course load at Georgian while maintaining enough hours at work to help pay for the costs of being at school.
Finally, I can't say enough good things about the staff - management, full-timers, part-timers, and other students - everyone is extremely friendly and hard-working.
Pros
Great staff, great work environment
Great Corporate Culture
Customer Service Representative and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 April 2015
Overall I was very impressed with the corporate-culture, which stressed openness an inclusiveness. The typical work day consisted of several smiles from friendly co-workers, which transitioned to dealings with generally positive customers and a decent looking space with upbeat music to get you through. Management when I was there were very down to earth but could also get things done. They also entrusted their staff with responsibilities which increases growth potential and eases the burden off the few.
Pros
Great Corporate-Culture
Cons
The turnover rate, particularly for managers and the like, was significant and at times disorienting.
Enjoying the experience
Associate Homesense (Current Employee) –  Ontario22 April 2015
Lots to learn, opportunities for full time are limited but great place for part time work in retail. Cross training in different areas so really like the variety of tasks.
Pros
Cross training in different departments
Cons
LImited opportunties for full time
Productive and fun workplace with experienced and friendly coworkers
sales associate (Former Employee) –  toronto, on14 April 2015
HomeSense was a great first job. I learnt a lot, learned a lot about how to deal with the public, how to meet customers needs and make people happy. The staff was really welcoming and made me work hard and learn a lot along the way. There are a lot of talented and supportive associates who made me learn everything I need to know about the workplace. It was a great first job experience, and i now feel like thanks to everyone there I can go forth in future endeavours with sufficient confidence and knowledge.
Pros
friendly and supportive coworkers
Cons
not a lot of hours
Great Job
Full-Time Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON8 April 2015
The first year of employment I was hired as temporary and proved myself to become a part time employee. After the first year I worked hard and received full time. This job is physically demanding. I lift furniture on a daily basis and rearranged the store daily. Always busy serving customers, 10 foot 10 second rule.
Pros
opportunity