HomeSense Employee Reviews in Canada

Interactive, fun place to work while making sales and merchandising.
Associate (Current Employee) –  White Rock, BCJune 18, 2016
A typical day a work would be to receive daily truck, unload boxes and process items received. Building furniture sometimes, taking product to the floor. Help out on cash when needed, talk to customers and provide good customer service. Talk to management about floor changes and sales. Helping out with carry outs, (taking down rugs, carrying out furniture, wrapping furniture.) Merchandising product to drive sales, putting together displays at front of store and communicating to co-workers about changes in each zone. Follow given tasks from coordinator and finish door to floor in given time period.
Pros
lots of work, time goes by quickly
Cons
heavy lifting
would rate them zero stars if it were an option
Processor Winners (Former Employee) –  Langford, BCMay 31, 2016
this company is full of BS from the start
they have this orientation videos of how great it is working
for TJX (their parent company) in the hiring proccess they
say they realize they understand how you have to pay your
bills and if you don't get something done there is always tomorrow
but once working for them it is never good enough never
fast enough. Like to see management live on their tiny little
cheques being so stingy with the wage stingy with the hours.
Like see some of those lazy managers carry the big bulky
furniture out to customers vehicles load them and see
how easy it is for the lousy pay
Pros
pay way too little for their expectations
Cons
none except for learning how rotten Winners/Homesense is
Keyholder
Customer Service Coordinator/ Keyholder (Former Employee) –  yonge stMay 30, 2016
Job description is to learn from managers. I have a authority next to managers and in case of their absence, I am in charge to look after a whole store. Typical day at work would be facing a challenge to deal with irate customers, look after sales, maintain a company standard to boost sales.
I learned how the store runs. whats important to run in business prospect. and the needs of the business. it also teach me to deal with people and i learned how to manage and delegate.
I may not have worked with best co-workers but i have always been respectful to them and i worked very well with all my co- workers and got positive response from them.
Hardest part of the job is to working as an acting managers but not having much power as managers suppose to get. Things get challenging when you don't get all the tools when i have to run the store and i don't get much support from the higher authority.Most enjoyable part of the job would be working with people and learning so much from people from different background.
Pros
working with people
Cons
management
Efficient and customer orientated
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONMay 17, 2016
HomeSense was a great company to work for with lots of room for job advancement. Enjoyed getting to work with customers on a daily basis. Learned a lot about dealing with customers.
Friendly atmosphere
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONMay 7, 2016
Nice place to work, but pay could be better. Great associates, although it is tiring work, as you have to be on your feet all day.
Interesting, somewhat predictable, with nice people (for the most part)
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 6, 2016
Typical days were unloading trucks and putting merchandise on the floor. Days were routine, predictable. Co-workers were, for most part, great- there was some drama and huge gossips, but not bad overall. 4 managers- 2 were amazing, 1 showed indifference towards me. The other was quite aggressive and in your face- someone that picked favourites and those to pick on and was best avoided if you were the latter. She also wasn't the kindest to part-timers. Worst thing was just how despite filling in availability forms, they didn't always listen, which created some issues for me balancing family responsibility with work there. However, I worked there for about a year, and it was only the last couple of months when things turned sour. Overall, not a bad place, and definitely should be considered by those looking for a job!
Fast paced and social workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONMay 5, 2016
The tasks in a day at HomSense were very simple and had a sense of urgency. Each day seemed the same and there was little change in the duties which made the job predictable. I enjoyed the team based environment and would recommend this job to anyone interested in retail.
Pros
Work parties
Cons
Short shifts
sams club
Assistant Manager, Customer Service and Operations (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONApril 7, 2016
great potential for growth. Many opportunities to work with buyers, replenishment team in the head office. Hard work is recognised in the Sams club
Wouldn't recommend
Customer Service - Mississauga (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 6, 2016
Customer Service was often busy, treated customers with dignity, I was very friendly however Management was also helpful, my co-workers was great people, the hardest part of the job was getting people to leave after the store close and they still browsing, the most enjoyable part was packing away stuff on the shelves it was great.
Pros
we had free organic chips sometimes, or cake if its a birthday or snacks other times
Cons
not enough hours
Productive and energetic environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 12, 2016
I worked customer service, so returns , stocking, cashier duties, working with the public. It was a very fast paced environment. It was a very diverse staff environment and everyone was a delight to work with, i loved my bosses and they were very undertstanding and supportive.
Pros
nice co workers
Cons
not so understanding in emergency situations
Fast-pace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 23, 2016
Fast-pace work environment, enjoyable staff. This was a fairly decent workplace, but unfortunately the management made no efforts to make new-comers feel welcome.
fun, and organized
Sales associate (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONFebruary 9, 2016
I enjoyed working here for as long as i did. Everyone is respectable, and hard working. I was mainly responsible for the kitchen section when i worked there.
Good workplace with variety of tasks
Sales Associate / Customer Service/ Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 4, 2016
Day consists of receiving morning truck shipment, stocking sales floor, merchandising, and customer service. As well as spending time being a cashier and loading merchandise into customer vehicles.
fun job, great for experience, bad for advancement
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 4, 2016
My experience at Homesense was not the greatest. Maybe for other people it wasn't as bad and some probably really enjoyed it, but personally I don't think it was at all what I expected it to be. First of all, during the orientation they emphasize how much they want to create a growing and enjoyable work environment for you, and how they're always there to answer your questions, and how you should ALWAYS ask when you need help with anything, but as soon as you don't understand something or need clarification they look at you as if you're incompetent. You are also expected to do a numerous amount of tasks at once and in a short period of time, and once you spend a bit longer at one task than the other, you're always getting picked on for it or scolded at. The job itself is amazing for gaining customer service experience and learning how to handle customer complaints and tough situations (especially if you're on cash) the co-workers were great, very positive and friendly attitudes, however, management was different. For this location most of them had short patience/ short temper and were not willing to help you grow and expand your knowledge, also a lot of the full-time workers were much more favored and not given such a hard time and definitely more respect, unlike me who was in school at the time. The job itself was fun for learning and gaining new experience but was extremely hard to advance your position, and not worth putting up with disrespectful behavior from the managers.
Pros
10% discount on store items, insurance after one year seniority
Cons
lots of heavy lifting and demanding customers
Very friendly, safe, reputable place to work, but there is not enough hours for everyone.
DECK ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ONFebruary 2, 2016
A typical day at HomeSense involves bringing product from the warehouse and arranging the product according to merchandising standards. This is very interesting and fun as I have learned some great decorating techniques along the way.

Management is professional, hard-working, and great to everyone. Co-workers are all a great team and I would love to work more for this company, but being a part-time employee does not allow for as many hours I require.

The hardest part of this job would be the heavy lifting. We lift very large mirrors, furniture and art work each shift. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers find their "perfect" item.
Pros
Fun, happy, and never boring
Cons
Not enough shifts
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONJanuary 26, 2016
A typical day generally involves being on cash (depending on how busy it is you many be on cash quite often). You will be assigned to one or two zones in the store in which you will get to know it well enough to run when your coordinator is not there. Cashiers may ask you to find prices for them. Otherwise you are to get all merchandise onto the sales floor that comes off the truck mon-fri, your next responsibility is to make sure you complete any 'projects' your coordinator assigns you and make sure your section is clean.
I had an amazing team and am glad I got the experience working for them. They really give you the ability to make decision on your own as much as possible and it teaches you great customer service.
Management often does games and makes most huddles engaging and enjoyable. Total open door policy. You learn great merchandising skills here as management and coordinators are continuously teaching you and working with you, also, there;s a merch book to give you the run down if you need.
Hardest part of the job that I find is multi-tasking when there's few people working. They do not schedule a lot of people to work when it is not their busy season (Christmas).
The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with customers, most are very easy going and fun to talk to. Another is putting together displays, you can often have fun with it (following their rules) and feel proud of it after too when everyone notices it. The "JOY" committee is a great way to show your co-workers that you appreciate something they've done for you at work. A simple sticky note
  more... saying "thanks for your help" really helps you through a hectic day! I definitely suggest working for HomeSense!  less
Pros
Cons
Few hours
n/a
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 21, 2016
Always a fun place to work. As long as your get your job done there is nothing to worry about the people and nice and welcoming
Its a good place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJanuary 17, 2016
The managers and other associates are all good to work with. They provide snacks occasionally as well as drinks. When it's busy it can be a little overwhelming.
HomeSense
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONOctober 14, 2015
Great place to work with exceptional associates and exceptional management team comes with 10% discount aswell so who can argue
Retail
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABOctober 6, 2015
Typical day would consist of moving furniture and other home accessories from the warehouse to the store floor. I learned people skills from working at HomeSense.