HomeSense Employee Reviews

Worst job ever! Don't even bother applying, you'll regret it!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  LeasideDecember 6, 2014
A typical day at work is, you go to the warehouse and pull out heavy tanks that each weigh like 50 pounds! You're then expected to put away all the merchandise from that tank in 20-30 minutes, whilst helping every single customer that stops you to ask you a billion questions. Oh, but it gets better! You also have to do something called, "recovery", and what that basically is is taking put backs and returns from customers from the front or back service, and putting the merchandise away, as well as tidying up the area that you're putting your merchandise away. Oh, and get this, they expect you to pull out 5-7 tanks in a day! Are you freaking kidding me?! That's literally impossible, considering the amount of times you're stopped by customers. This place is a joke! The management is a joke! The only good thing about working here is the coworkers, and the vending machines. Other than that, this place sucks.

Now let's get to the management. God forbid you can actually talk to the scheduling manager without having your head chopped off! It's like your issues and life struggles are insignificant. I once tried to calmly explain to the scheduling manager that I live pretty far and rely on public transportation, so I can't work such late shifts, and suddenly the scheduling manager started treating me like trash. Well excuse me for wanting to get home at a decent hour. And don't you dare try to ask for help on an assignment, because the store manager will just treat you like you're an incompetent fool. You're expected to do so much with NO HELP and an extreme lack of training, it's just
  more... ridiculous! I don't deserve to be treated like trash, I'm a freaking human being! Treat me with respect!

Overall, I would not recommend working here, because the management doesn't give a rat's behind out their employees. They treat you like a slave and they would start pulling out whips if they could. The amount of stuff you're expected to do for bloody MINIMUM WAGE is pathetic!
Pros
the coworkers, the vending machines
Cons
the management, work expectations
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONJanuary 26, 2016
A typical day generally involves being on cash (depending on how busy it is you many be on cash quite often). You will be assigned to one or two zones in the store in which you will get to know it well enough to run when your coordinator is not there. Cashiers may ask you to find prices for them. Otherwise you are to get all merchandise onto the sales floor that comes off the truck mon-fri, your next responsibility is to make sure you complete any 'projects' your coordinator assigns you and make sure your section is clean.
I had an amazing team and am glad I got the experience working for them. They really give you the ability to make decision on your own as much as possible and it teaches you great customer service.
Management often does games and makes most huddles engaging and enjoyable. Total open door policy. You learn great merchandising skills here as management and coordinators are continuously teaching you and working with you, also, there;s a merch book to give you the run down if you need.
Hardest part of the job that I find is multi-tasking when there's few people working. They do not schedule a lot of people to work when it is not their busy season (Christmas).
The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with customers, most are very easy going and fun to talk to. Another is putting together displays, you can often have fun with it (following their rules) and feel proud of it after too when everyone notices it. The "JOY" committee is a great way to show your co-workers that you appreciate something they've done for you at work. A simple sticky note
  more... saying "thanks for your help" really helps you through a hectic day! I definitely suggest working for HomeSense!  less
Pros
Cons
Few hours
fun job, great for experience, bad for advancement
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 4, 2016
My experience at Homesense was not the greatest. Maybe for other people it wasn't as bad and some probably really enjoyed it, but personally I don't think it was at all what I expected it to be. First of all, during the orientation they emphasize how much they want to create a growing and enjoyable work environment for you, and how they're always there to answer your questions, and how you should ALWAYS ask when you need help with anything, but as soon as you don't understand something or need clarification they look at you as if you're incompetent. You are also expected to do a numerous amount of tasks at once and in a short period of time, and once you spend a bit longer at one task than the other, you're always getting picked on for it or scolded at. The job itself is amazing for gaining customer service experience and learning how to handle customer complaints and tough situations (especially if you're on cash) the co-workers were great, very positive and friendly attitudes, however, management was different. For this location most of them had short patience/ short temper and were not willing to help you grow and expand your knowledge, also a lot of the full-time workers were much more favored and not given such a hard time and definitely more respect, unlike me who was in school at the time. The job itself was fun for learning and gaining new experience but was extremely hard to advance your position, and not worth putting up with disrespectful behavior from the managers.
Pros
10% discount on store items, insurance after one year seniority
Cons
lots of heavy lifting and demanding customers
Life at Homesense
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 5, 2015
A typical day at work contains being at the cash, talking with and helping customers with their needs and wants. I also work on the sales floor, making sure displays are due, store looks aestheticaly pleasing to the eye thus being easy to shop for the customer. Co-workers are friendly and we work together to make sure each section is organized. I believe at my location, management could be better in a sense where things could be more organized. I find that a lot of displays are poorly made due to management decisions on what should be displayed. A lot of the time i walk by and think to myself that certain displays are ugly and take initiative to change what i can when I have free time. The hardest part of working in retail is knowing I'm getting paid such little amounts for the amount of work I put in. I work a lot harder than those who work at for example McDonalds and get paid exactly the same. Also the discount is ridiculous, it doesn't even cover tax. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I help a customer and they are more than happy with their purchases. I like giving my opinion to people about which piece of furniture will look better in their house and help them create a space thats warm and cozy. I've been in retail for some time now so I understand how to market items and what customer service is all about. Ive learnt patience and time managament skills due to the fact that I have many projects to do in a day and need to get it done.
Pros
flexible with my school schedule
Cons
not enough hours
Fast paced environment, which will provide you with exceptional retail experience.
Customer Service Representative, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 7, 2012
A typical day would include an overflow of customers which results in everything becoming increasingly fast paced. As a customer service representative I have learned to be very efficient, answering phone calls, organizing carryouts and cashing customers out all while making sure to provide positive customer service. The hardest part about the job would be handling many things at once, such as making sure your previous customer gets their carryout, while taking on a new customer, or paging managers and coordinators for markdowns and faulty returns. Also the clientelle also differs based on location, therefore as an associate, it will become easy to diffrentiate the demands and expectations of customers based on the demographic they are coming from. Acccurately enough, HomeSense stock will also differ based on which location you are working at. Management is also very good depending on the team and how they are. Co-workers make homesense an enjoyable experience, for I had the benefit of working with great people. Aside from that, all the beautiful merchandise that comes into the store also made it a little enjoyable.
Pros
pizza lunches from time to time
Cons
long shifts, quizzes
No Appreciation
PERMANENT PART-TIME SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  London, ONSeptember 25, 2012
Working at Homesense is exhausting. The managers I worked with were terrible at allotting duties. Working in a zone does not mean working in just that zone. You run around the store frequently, especially if you have to move furniture. And you're ALWAYS on call to move bought products into people's vehicles. On a normal day, you're working in three places at once. At least I did. Co-workers were cutthroat: most tried to sabotage my job with catty talk to management behind my back.
The most enjoyable part of the job was finding new products on the trucks you've never seen before. Hardest part of the job was keeping up with thieves....because Homesense is cheap products, people like to steal often in there.
A cool part of the job for the three years I worked there was the knowledge on home products, remedies and gadgets available on the market, and what is best for your house.
Pros
get to see cool new products
Cons
thefts, con artists, 10% discount for employees!
Bad work environment...Unorganized management...treats their staff like slaves
sales associate (Current Employee) –  B.C.November 23, 2012
Hands down the worst place I have ever worked at! I find it hard to believe that anyone who wrote a good review actually works there.This is a minimum wage job,don't expect any benefits because they have very few full time workers.At my store they only post the schedule a week in advance if your lucky and then change it and expect people to be available at ALL times.There is no work/life balance! The management is terrible,god forbid you make plans on your day off because if they feel like it they'll call you in and you better go,if not they'll tell you you have to be "flexable" at "all times".I could go on and on about this company,if minimum wage and no benefits,unpleasant management and poor working conditions are what your looking for by all means apply.
Pros
no pros
Cons
too many cons to list
Great workplace, very friendly
associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 8, 2014
A typical day at Homesense is getting the truck unloaded, unpacking boxes and getting merchandise out on the sales floor. Organizing and making the store look great and shop-able. Building furniture and hanging big rugs.
I've learned a lot working in retail, for example, having great customer service, going out of my way to help a customer. I've learn great leadership skills when it comes to working in teams and training new associates. I also have a great knowledge of the product we carry, from bedding to home decorating to kitchen appliances and food. My favourite part of working at Homesense is working with such great people. We're just a big family.
The hardest part of my job is lifting and carrying furniture and rugs.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
a lot of heavy lifting
Very friendly, safe, reputable place to work, but there is not enough hours for everyone.
DECK ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ONFebruary 2, 2016
A typical day at HomeSense involves bringing product from the warehouse and arranging the product according to merchandising standards. This is very interesting and fun as I have learned some great decorating techniques along the way.

Management is professional, hard-working, and great to everyone. Co-workers are all a great team and I would love to work more for this company, but being a part-time employee does not allow for as many hours I require.

The hardest part of this job would be the heavy lifting. We lift very large mirrors, furniture and art work each shift. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers find their "perfect" item.
Pros
Fun, happy, and never boring
Cons
Not enough shifts
An Unexpected Great Experience
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ONApril 29, 2015
I applied to Homesense after graduating from Fleming College with the intention of working at the store for the summer until I found a job within my field of study. Homesense was really flexible in providing a schedule that worked around my job search.
When I decided to go back to school and change my field of interest, Homesense once again worked around my schedule to allow me to balance a full course load at Georgian while maintaining enough hours at work to help pay for the costs of being at school.
Finally, I can't say enough good things about the staff - management, full-timers, part-timers, and other students - everyone is extremely friendly and hard-working.
Pros
Great staff, great work environment
Great Corporate Culture
Customer Service Representative and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 25, 2015
Overall I was very impressed with the corporate-culture, which stressed openness an inclusiveness. The typical work day consisted of several smiles from friendly co-workers, which transitioned to dealings with generally positive customers and a decent looking space with upbeat music to get you through. Management when I was there were very down to earth but could also get things done. They also entrusted their staff with responsibilities which increases growth potential and eases the burden off the few.
Pros
Great Corporate-Culture
Cons
The turnover rate, particularly for managers and the like, was significant and at times disorienting.
Productive and fun workplace with experienced and friendly coworkers
sales associate (Former Employee) –  toronto, onApril 14, 2015
HomeSense was a great first job. I learnt a lot, learned a lot about how to deal with the public, how to meet customers needs and make people happy. The staff was really welcoming and made me work hard and learn a lot along the way. There are a lot of talented and supportive associates who made me learn everything I need to know about the workplace. It was a great first job experience, and i now feel like thanks to everyone there I can go forth in future endeavours with sufficient confidence and knowledge.
Pros
friendly and supportive coworkers
Cons
not a lot of hours
Work atmosphere was excellent. Everyone was friendly.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 1, 2015
A typical day was long, sometimes quite. I learned how to deal with customers that were rude. Management was good. The co-workers were really friendly, always looking out for each other. Hardest part of the job was dealing with customers that were rude and arrogant, you had to remain calm. The enjoyable part of the job was all the customers who were friendly or helping some people on the decisions of certain products and how they looked with others. Giving my opinion and putting a smile on the customers face was enjoyable.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Scheduling
hectic work environment
data entry clerk/receptionist/filing clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 3, 2013
it is a very fast past time conscious environment. I dealt with customers on a daily basis both in person and over the phone. I took customers orders and entered them into the system and made sure they were shipped out on time. I also kept customers up to date about their orders. I also did filing for the whole company both manual filing and updating the files on the computer system. I also helped reception answer calls and transfer calls.
Pros
frequent holidays
Cons
you dont get paid for holidays and no benefits what so ever
Homesense Review
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ONMay 27, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of either being on cash or on the sales floor stocking merchandise. I learned many customer service skills that I will be able to use in future jobs. The management at my location was a very positive group of people always encouraging us to do our best. The hardest part of the job was probably the lack of hours I received and the most enjoyable part was dealing with customers. I really enjoy working with people and making sure all their needs are met.
Pros
working amoungst great people
Cons
very little hours
I enjoy working there only I need more hours to work.
Cashier/Customer Service,cashier asscociate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 4, 2013
My typical day at work would be starting with emptying the truck and organizing every department with 5 to 6 people.Then take the tank that we are schedule to do on the floor and display them. In the mean while if you are called on cash leave everything and go for it.My co-workers are very friendly and helpful,The hardest part of the job is when the truck is not full and we have to go home doing a few hours.
Cons
we are not getting enough hours.
Good place to work for your first high school job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  BramptonSeptember 11, 2015
Working at HomeSense is enjoyable. Depending on which store you work at, most of the staff is friendly and helpful. The customers that we get at this kind of business, depending on the location again, can be good and bad. For my location being in Brampton, the customers are mostly bad. But, this issue can be found at most retail stores. I would recommend this job to students who are in high school.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Lack of management organization
Punctual, well organized and a team player.
Customer Service / Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 21, 2015
This was a friendly atmosphere with a d├ęcor I feel very comfortable to be around. Quality management was much respected. I enjoyed working with the customers and helping them with their needs. Working with the staff was great.

I did not find anything difficult with this part-time assignment other than it ended too soon. Also working evenings and weekends are not a concern .
Pros
great atmosphere
A busy, nicely organized store.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Market MallJanuary 27, 2014
I worked as a sales/cashier associate. On the floor, I would help customers, receive stock, price and put on floor, keep area tidy. As a cashier, I would help customers through the purchase process, and wrap products as necessary and ensure the customers needs were met in their visit to store.
Pros
always new products to put out on floor, store was always busy.
Cons
management sometimes didnt run store in same manner, multiple managers.
Fast paced environment with core company values which help you grow as an individual.
Retail Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 28, 2012
Homsense offers you the opportunity to work with numerous co-workers and customers. Their core values include, but are not limited to: diversity, integrity, customer satisfaction, teamwork, open communication, mutual respect and caring.
Pros
friendly environment, free lunches, rewarded for work, bake sale fundraisers
Cons
hard work and physically draining at times