HomeSense Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Very friendly, safe, reputable place to work, but there is not enough hours for everyone.
DECK ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), Brantford, ONFebruary 2, 2016
Pros: Fun, happy, and never boring
Cons: Not enough shifts
A typical day at HomeSense involves bringing product from the warehouse and arranging the product according to merchandising standards. This is very interesting and fun as I have learned some great decorating techniques along the way.

Management is professional, hard-working, and great to everyone. Co-workers are all a great team and I would love to work more for this company, but being a part-time employee does not allow for as many hours I require.

The hardest part of this job would be the heavy lifting. We lift very large mirrors, furniture and art work each shift. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers find their "perfect" item.
Wouldn't recommend
Customer Service - Mississauga (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 6, 2016
Pros: we had free organic chips sometimes, or cake if its a birthday or snacks other times
Cons: not enough hours
Customer Service was often busy, treated customers with dignity, I was very friendly however Management was also helpful, my co-workers was great people, the hardest part of the job was getting people to leave after the store close and they still browsing, the most enjoyable part was packing away stuff on the shelves it was great.
Fast-pace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 23, 2016
Fast-pace work environment, enjoyable staff. This was a fairly decent workplace, but unfortunately the management made no efforts to make new-comers feel welcome.
Great Corporate Culture
Customer Service Representative and Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 25, 2015
Pros: Great Corporate-Culture
Cons: The turnover rate, particularly for managers and the like, was significant and at times disorienting.
Overall I was very impressed with the corporate-culture, which stressed openness an inclusiveness. The typical work day consisted of several smiles from friendly co-workers, which transitioned to dealings with generally positive customers and a decent looking space with upbeat music to get you through. Management when I was there were very down to earth but could also get things done. They also entrusted their staff with responsibilities which increases growth potential and eases the burden off the few.
Good place to work for your first high school job
Sales Associate (Current Employee), BramptonSeptember 11, 2015
Pros: Flexible schedules
Cons: Lack of management organization
Working at HomeSense is enjoyable. Depending on which store you work at, most of the staff is friendly and helpful. The customers that we get at this kind of business, depending on the location again, can be good and bad. For my location being in Brampton, the customers are mostly bad. But, this issue can be found at most retail stores. I would recommend this job to students who are in high school.
fun job, great for experience, bad for advancement
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 4, 2016
Pros: 10% discount on store items, insurance after one year seniority
Cons: lots of heavy lifting and demanding customers
My experience at Homesense was not the greatest. Maybe for other people it wasn't as bad and some probably really enjoyed it, but personally I don't think it was at all what I expected it to be. First of all, during the orientation they emphasize how much they want to create a growing and enjoyable work environment for you, and how they're always there to answer your questions, and how you should ALWAYS ask when you need help with anything, but as soon as you don't understand something or need clarification they look at you as if you're incompetent. You are also expected to do a numerous amount of tasks at once and in a short period of time, and once you spend a bit longer at one task than the other, you're always getting picked on for it or scolded at. The job itself is amazing for gaining customer service experience and learning how to handle customer complaints and tough situations (especially if you're on cash) the co-workers were great, very positive and friendly attitudes, however, management was different. For this location most of them had short patience/ short temper and were not willing to help you grow and expand your knowledge, also a lot of the full-time workers were much more favored and not given such a hard time and definitely more respect, unlike me who was in school at the time. The job itself was fun for learning and gaining new experience but was extremely hard to advance your position, and not worth putting up with disrespectful behavior from the managers.
Productive and energetic environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 12, 2016
Pros: nice co workers
Cons: not so understanding in emergency situations
I worked customer service, so returns , stocking, cashier duties, working with the public. It was a very fast paced environment. It was a very diverse staff environment and everyone was a delight to work with, i loved my bosses and they were very undertstanding and supportive.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Barrie, ONJanuary 26, 2016
Pros: Management
Cons: Few hours
A typical day generally involves being on cash (depending on how busy it is you many be on cash quite often). You will be assigned to one or two zones in the store in which you will get to know it well enough to run when your coordinator is not there. Cashiers may ask you to find prices for them. Otherwise you are to get all merchandise onto the sales floor that comes off the truck mon-fri, your next responsibility is to make sure you complete any 'projects' your coordinator assigns you and make sure your section is clean.
I had an amazing team and am glad I got the experience working for them. They really give you the ability to make decision on your own as much as possible and it teaches you great customer service.
Management often does games and makes most huddles engaging and enjoyable. Total open door policy. You learn great merchandising skills here as management and coordinators are continuously teaching you and working with you, also, there;s a merch book to give you the run down if you need.
Hardest part of the job that I find is multi-tasking when there's few people working. They do not schedule a lot of people to work when it is not their busy season (Christmas).
The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with customers, most are very easy going and fun to talk to. Another is putting together displays, you can often have fun with it (following their rules) and feel proud of it after too when everyone notices it. The "JOY" committee is a great way to show your co-workers that you appreciate something they've done for you at work. A simple sticky note – more... saying "thanks for your help" really helps you through a hectic day! I definitely suggest working for HomeSense! – less
Good work place
Store Associate (Current Employee), Ajax, ONAugust 26, 2015
Pros: lots of parties
Cons: minimuk wage
re very good friendly people who give opportunity, a great place for part time employment while in school but not a career job ability to move up within the company can take a long time. Great environment enjoy working here but unfortunately need something better with better pay.
HomeSense
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Windsor, ONOctober 14, 2015
Great place to work with exceptional associates and exceptional management team comes with 10% discount aswell so who can argue
Good workplace with variety of tasks
Sales Associate / Customer Service/ Warehouse (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 4, 2016
Day consists of receiving morning truck shipment, stocking sales floor, merchandising, and customer service. As well as spending time being a cashier and loading merchandise into customer vehicles.
sams club
Assistant Manager, Customer Service and Operations (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONApril 7, 2016
great potential for growth. Many opportunities to work with buyers, replenishment team in the head office. Hard work is recognised in the Sams club
Homesense Review
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Orangeville, ONMay 27, 2015
Pros: working amoungst great people
Cons: very little hours
A typical day at work consisted of either being on cash or on the sales floor stocking merchandise. I learned many customer service skills that I will be able to use in future jobs. The management at my location was a very positive group of people always encouraging us to do our best. The hardest part of the job was probably the lack of hours I received and the most enjoyable part was dealing with customers. I really enjoy working with people and making sure all their needs are met.
fun, and organized
Sales associate (seasonal) (Former Employee), Windsor, ONFebruary 9, 2016
I enjoyed working here for as long as i did. Everyone is respectable, and hard working. I was mainly responsible for the kitchen section when i worked there.
An Unexpected Great Experience
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee), Newmarket, ONApril 29, 2015
Pros: Great staff, great work environment
I applied to Homesense after graduating from Fleming College with the intention of working at the store for the summer until I found a job within my field of study. Homesense was really flexible in providing a schedule that worked around my job search.
When I decided to go back to school and change my field of interest, Homesense once again worked around my schedule to allow me to balance a full course load at Georgian while maintaining enough hours at work to help pay for the costs of being at school.
Finally, I can't say enough good things about the staff - management, full-timers, part-timers, and other students - everyone is extremely friendly and hard-working.
Its a good place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Grande Prairie, ABJanuary 17, 2016
The managers and other associates are all good to work with. They provide snacks occasionally as well as drinks. When it's busy it can be a little overwhelming.
n/a
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 21, 2016
Always a fun place to work. As long as your get your job done there is nothing to worry about the people and nice and welcoming
Great Place to work
Warehouse Coordinator (Current Employee), Cambridge, ONAugust 10, 2015
Great place to work. Fun and engaging staff and Management. chance to work on your own as well as with a team .Time management skills are an asset
Bad work environment...Unorganized management...treats their staff like slaves
sales associate (Current Employee), B.C.November 23, 2012
Pros: no pros
Cons: too many cons to list
Hands down the worst place I have ever worked at! I find it hard to believe that anyone who wrote a good review actually works there.This is a minimum wage job,don't expect any benefits because they have very few full time workers.At my store they only post the schedule a week in advance if your lucky and then change it and expect people to be available at ALL times.There is no work/life balance! The management is terrible,god forbid you make plans on your day off because if they feel like it they'll call you in and you better go,if not they'll tell you you have to be "flexable" at "all times".I could go on and on about this company,if minimum wage and no benefits,unpleasant management and poor working conditions are what your looking for by all means apply.
Productive and fun workplace with experienced and friendly coworkers
sales associate (Former Employee), toronto, onApril 14, 2015
Pros: friendly and supportive coworkers
Cons: not a lot of hours
HomeSense was a great first job. I learnt a lot, learned a lot about how to deal with the public, how to meet customers needs and make people happy. The staff was really welcoming and made me work hard and learn a lot along the way. There are a lot of talented and supportive associates who made me learn everything I need to know about the workplace. It was a great first job experience, and i now feel like thanks to everyone there I can go forth in future endeavours with sufficient confidence and knowledge.