HomeSense

HomeSense Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
An Unexpected Great Experience
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee), Newmarket, ONApril 29, 2015
Pros: Great staff, great work environment
I applied to Homesense after graduating from Fleming College with the intention of working at the store for the summer until I found a job within my field of study. Homesense was really flexible in providing a schedule that worked around my job search.
When I decided to go back to school and change my field of interest, Homesense once again worked around my schedule to allow me to balance a full course load at Georgian while maintaining enough hours at work to help pay for the costs of being at school.
Finally, I can't say enough good things about the staff - management, full-timers, part-timers, and other students - everyone is extremely friendly and hard-working.
Great Corporate Culture
Customer Service Representative and Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 25, 2015
Pros: Great Corporate-Culture
Cons: The turnover rate, particularly for managers and the like, was significant and at times disorienting.
Overall I was very impressed with the corporate-culture, which stressed openness an inclusiveness. The typical work day consisted of several smiles from friendly co-workers, which transitioned to dealings with generally positive customers and a decent looking space with upbeat music to get you through. Management when I was there were very down to earth but could also get things done. They also entrusted their staff with responsibilities which increases growth potential and eases the burden off the few.
Enjoying the experience
Associate Homesense (Current Employee), OntarioApril 22, 2015
Pros: Cross training in different departments
Cons: LImited opportunties for full time
Lots to learn, opportunities for full time are limited but great place for part time work in retail. Cross training in different areas so really like the variety of tasks.
Productive and fun workplace with experienced and friendly coworkers
sales associate (Former Employee), toronto, onApril 14, 2015
Pros: friendly and supportive coworkers
Cons: not a lot of hours
HomeSense was a great first job. I learnt a lot, learned a lot about how to deal with the public, how to meet customers needs and make people happy. The staff was really welcoming and made me work hard and learn a lot along the way. There are a lot of talented and supportive associates who made me learn everything I need to know about the workplace. It was a great first job experience, and i now feel like thanks to everyone there I can go forth in future endeavours with sufficient confidence and knowledge.
Great Job
Full-Time Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee), Barrie, ONApril 8, 2015
Pros: opportunity
Cons: Management
The first year of employment I was hired as temporary and proved myself to become a part time employee. After the first year I worked hard and received full time. This job is physically demanding. I lift furniture on a daily basis and rearranged the store daily. Always busy serving customers, 10 foot 10 second rule.
Work atmosphere was excellent. Everyone was friendly.
Cashier (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 1, 2015
Pros: Friendly atmosphere
Cons: Scheduling
A typical day was long, sometimes quite. I learned how to deal with customers that were rude. Management was good. The co-workers were really friendly, always looking out for each other. Hardest part of the job was dealing with customers that were rude and arrogant, you had to remain calm. The enjoyable part of the job was all the customers who were friendly or helping some people on the decisions of certain products and how they looked with others. Giving my opinion and putting a smile on the customers face was enjoyable.
HomeSense
Store Associate (Former Employee), toronto - downtown areaFebruary 11, 2015
unstable hours, can't live on it, management keeping saying not full time available, you have to clean the bathroom and mop the floor at the end of the night. can't expect too much from a retail minimum wage job.
Punctual, well organized and a team player.
Customer Service / Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: great atmosphere
This was a friendly atmosphere with a d├ęcor I feel very comfortable to be around. Quality management was much respected. I enjoyed working with the customers and helping them with their needs. Working with the staff was great.

I did not find anything difficult with this part-time assignment other than it ended too soon. Also working evenings and weekends are not a concern .
Positive Work Environment
Store Associate (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 20, 2015
The day would begin with unloading the shipments and then proceeding to process furniture and larger items received. The majority of the remainder of the day would be bringing stock onto the sales floor. It was a good experience and allowed me to learn valuable lessons involving teamwork as well as working on my own.
Very customer oriented... Always happy to assist .
Customer Service / Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: love to work evenings
Cons: i am not a morning person
worked at The Bay part time . sales associate. Helped customers with their concerns . Trouble shooter... Worked at the cash.

Sorted shelves.... Team player . Very job oriented....

Always happy to go to work..

Hours varied , mostly weekends and evening....

Very flexible.
Life at Homesense
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: flexible with my school schedule
Cons: not enough hours
A typical day at work contains being at the cash, talking with and helping customers with their needs and wants. I also work on the sales floor, making sure displays are due, store looks aestheticaly pleasing to the eye thus being easy to shop for the customer. Co-workers are friendly and we work together to make sure each section is organized. I believe at my location, management could be better in a sense where things could be more organized. I find that a lot of displays are poorly made due to management decisions on what should be displayed. A lot of the time i walk by and think to myself that certain displays are ugly and take initiative to change what i can when I have free time. The hardest part of working in retail is knowing I'm getting paid such little amounts for the amount of work I put in. I work a lot harder than those who work at for example McDonalds and get paid exactly the same. Also the discount is ridiculous, it doesn't even cover tax. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I help a customer and they are more than happy with their purchases. I like giving my opinion to people about which piece of furniture will look better in their house and help them create a space thats warm and cozy. I've been in retail for some time now so I understand how to market items and what customer service is all about. Ive learnt patience and time managament skills due to the fact that I have many projects to do in a day and need to get it done.
Worst job ever! Don't even bother applying, you'll regret it!
Sales Associate (Current Employee), LeasideDecember 6, 2014
Pros: the coworkers, the vending machines
Cons: the management, work expectations
A typical day at work is, you go to the warehouse and pull out heavy tanks that each weigh like 50 pounds! You're then expected to put away all the merchandise from that tank in 20-30 minutes, whilst helping every single customer that stops you to ask you a billion questions. Oh, but it gets better! You also have to do something called, "recovery", and what that basically is is taking put backs and returns from customers from the front or back service, and putting the merchandise away, as well as tidying up the area that you're putting your merchandise away. Oh, and get this, they expect you to pull out 5-7 tanks in a day! Are you freaking kidding me?! That's literally impossible, considering the amount of times you're stopped by customers. This place is a joke! The management is a joke! The only good thing about working here is the coworkers, and the vending machines. Other than that, this place sucks.

Now let's get to the management. God forbid you can actually talk to the scheduling manager without having your head chopped off! It's like your issues and life struggles are insignificant. I once tried to calmly explain to the scheduling manager that I live pretty far and rely on public transportation, so I can't work such late shifts, and suddenly the scheduling manager started treating me like trash. Well excuse me for wanting to get home at a decent hour. And don't you dare try to ask for help on an assignment, because the store manager will just treat you like you're an incompetent fool. You're expected to do so much with NO HELP and an extreme lack of training, it's just ridiculous! I don't deserve to be treated like trash, I'm a freaking human being! Treat me with respect!

Overall, I would not recommend working here, because the management doesn't give a rat's behind out their employees. They treat you like a slave and they would start pulling out whips if they could. The amount of stuff you're expected to do for bloody MINIMUM WAGE is pathetic!
Great workplace, very friendly
associate (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 8, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: a lot of heavy lifting
A typical day at Homesense is getting the truck unloaded, unpacking boxes and getting merchandise out on the sales floor. Organizing and making the store look great and shop-able. Building furniture and hanging big rugs.
I've learned a lot working in retail, for example, having great customer service, going out of my way to help a customer. I've learn great leadership skills when it comes to working in teams and training new associates. I also have a great knowledge of the product we carry, from bedding to home decorating to kitchen appliances and food. My favourite part of working at Homesense is working with such great people. We're just a big family.
The hardest part of my job is lifting and carrying furniture and rugs.
satisfying job, good management
Sales Associate (Former Employee), calgaryAugust 2, 2014
-deliver good customer service.
-help customers with heavy load.
-keep the merchandise on the floor up to date.
okay
Sales and Floor Supervisor (Former Employee), east york ontarioJuly 30, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: alot of heavy lifting
was good. Got along with most people just too many responsibilities for one person
Creative, positive environment
Full Time Home Dec Associate (Former Employee), London, ONJuly 16, 2014
Amazing staff and management. Always learning new merchandising techniques.
Learned Many Useful Skills
Sales Associate (Former Employee), London, ONApril 11, 2014
Wonderful co-workers and management who genuinely cared about my well-being.
The company made sure that each worker knew health and safety regulations as well as how to provide excellent customer service to customers.
A good place to learn new things.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), calgaryApril 9, 2014
Pros: free snacks
Cons: long hours
I love this place as I learned too much that I can add it to my resume. The store was always organized and the managers were always nice.
Fun and Diverse Enviroment
Admin Assistant (Current Employee), Surrey, BCMarch 28, 2014
Sometimes challenging but always a fun place to work. Fast paced. You don't ever get bored.
Customer Service Coordinator
Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 10, 2014
Front line coordinator for a high volume home furnishings retailer.

1 2 3