Home Outfitters

Home Outfitters Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Friendly environment
Main floor sales associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 10, 2014
Working at Home Outfitters was a great job.
Every employee was helpful and always enjoyed helping out customers.
My position was different every day and varied.
I loved being able to help out the cashiers, sales associates, and office administrator.
Was able to get involved and lift heavy material/appliances.
Very friendly and joyful environment.
Calm Environment with Few Benefits
Cashier (Former Employee), Maple, OntarioMay 3, 2014
Pros: calm environment, friendly associates
Cons: not many benefits, unprofessional management
A typical day at work would be spending the day at the cashier & recovering an area near the cash. I learned a lot when it came to customer service, and sales. The management was very unprofessional and did little to support their employees. The hardest part of the job was the fact that there were not many associates working at one time, especially – more... on busy days. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know & helping out the different customers & be ing able to provide them with the service they needed. – less
Productive and like to get along with everyone at the workplace
Cashier/ Customers Service Representative (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 22, 2014
Pros: good people
Cons: no hours
my typical day at work is I work on cash all day (retail stuff) then I ;earn that the customer is always right and that management is not for me. my coworker are fun but we dont all get along like any work place. I enjoy the little things when someone makes me laugh or a stranger gives me advice.
Great workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Halifax, CanadaApril 20, 2014
Great management. Great co-workers. Understanding employees.

Learned about numerous lines of products and gained a credible amount of experience in customer service as well as warehouse and resolving conflicts.

Hardest part is to convince the customers about our credit cards.
Ok
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 11, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: wasn't trained as well as i should have been
Working here had it's good and bad days like every job. Didn't get along with a few people, could definitely feel the tension between someone else and myself. Some gossiping.
productive and kept you on your toes
receiver (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 8, 2014
Pros: some good staff members
Cons: favoritism
hardest part of my week was offloading the trailer and opening and pricing all the merchandise.
Good Customer Service Experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Concord, ONFebruary 19, 2014
Cons: little pay
working a lot with customers, management is a bit tough, enjoyable part is helping and making customers satisfied.
What I learned working in customer service.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Barrie, ONJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: great staff
Cons: not enough hours.
It is honestly a very hard job dealing with customers all day. You never know if you are going to get a pleasant or nasty one. Either way you just have to keep smiling. Even if you are not the reason they are angry, you have to do all you can to make sure thy have a great experience and hope that all you did was good enough for them to come back.
fast paced
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Current Employee), winnipegJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: learning experience
Cons: low hours, and minuimin wage
a fast paced environment that involves handling all aspects of retail.( customer service,cash,stock,cleaning,inventory)
Fun work environment and team oriented
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Concord, ONDecember 28, 2013
Home Outfitters has a dynamic team environment and promotes training and developement
Great people to work with
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Langley, BCNovember 6, 2013
Friendly
Caring
willing to help if able too

unfortunately only part time hours
Nice people to work with
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCNovember 1, 2013
Pros: lots of breaks
Cons: no hours
Did daily balancing, helped customers find what they needed. I enjoyed the people that I worked with, but did not enjoy standing at the till all day long. It gets boring.
Management was always fair. But would over rule the store policies when all the cashiers would say no to certain returns (example, over the return date by a long time)
Hardlines Manager (Former Employee), Kingston, ONOctober 27, 2013
Great staff and good management. Upper management care about staff and would recomend working for them.
Busy corporation, and benefits working there.
Stock, Sales (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONOctober 27, 2013
Had to open new products, stock new products, scan bar codes, sell kitchen products to consumers, as well as set up displays at times.
CUSTOMER SERVICE
Cashier (Former Employee), Upper WentworthAugust 14, 2013
I would do help with customer returns, help clients apply for credit cards and ring their items through. It was a great atmosphere. My co-workers were great to work with the customers were great. I loved the management.
a great learning experience
ware house (Former Employee), Guelph, ONJuly 1, 2013
Pros: worked alone a lot
Cons: was not given a lot of shifts as it was par time.
typical day at work involved unloading trucks that brought in stock. Sorting this stock to be put on the floor in the proper place. As well as stocking shelves and making displays to go with the changing seasons.
Friendly environment, great co-workers, flexible work hours.
Cashier (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJune 17, 2013
Pros: friendly work environment
Cons: difficult customers
I worked as a cashier, so a typical day at work I would greet guests and cash out the products they wanted to buy. I would also let the guest know of our new promotions (example; savings from signing up with the HBC credit card or HBC MasterCard). I learned a great deal on the retail aspect and how to properly sell items to our guests in-store. I worked – more... with fantastic people who are always willing to help out each other whenever one is in need. Overall, the hardest part of the job was getting HBC credit card sign ups because 30% of our guests would say they have "too many credit cards" which makes complete sense. Although I did have a lot of fun greeting new and regular customers and being able to relate to them and their shopping choices. I loved seeing what items they brought to the counter because I would always comment on them such as saying "this is so pretty" or "it will look great in that room". Working at Home Outfitters made it very easy to keep me smiling and making customers feel welcome in our store,. – less
Stale retail with friendly faces
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Whitby, ONApril 23, 2013
Pros: friendly coworkers, occasional pot-luck lunches, management who did care for their employees
Cons: varying amount of hours depending on the season, often monotonous work, basic retails cons
For the most part Home Outfitters was a standard retail position, with all the good and bad one can expect from retail. Often the work involved was boring such as signing, price fixes, or re-shelving product but sometimes something new came up that broke the normal daily grind. The most enjoyable aspect of the position was constantly dealing with the – more... public, believe it or not. Many customers at the store were courteous and polite and always appreciative of any help you could provide.

The fact that you could tell the management at this particular store largely did care about their employees did help a great deal. The work environment was often very fun. Occasionally someone would organize a pot-luck for lunch and you could sample various recipes you may not have otherwise. The co-workers at the location were always extremely friendly and willing to go the extra little bit to help out if you needed it.

One difficult aspect of the job was simply that work was monotonous and could get stale quickly, however it is retail and you can't expect thought-provoking work in these environments. The best aspect was easily the people you work with, they were considerate and friendly and often made work enjoyable despite the monotony. – less
productive place to work & meet new people
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 22, 2013
Pros: excellent hours
Cons: few hours part time.
Routine day unloading trailers, unpacking incoming boxes, sending out mdse. to other stores. Management, all women and one guy. (me). Have to watch your own back. co-workers all work together as a team. Great!! Hardest part is to keep everybody happy. The working environment was the most enjoyable part of the job.
The everyday tale of retail
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Metrotown, BCMarch 5, 2013
All of the staff are welcoming and it soon becomes like one big family with Home Outfitters.

Although, the hours are kind of lacking due to pay cuts and sometimes you get a great group of Managers, and then sometimes you don't. The ones that are great are the ones who make you feel incredibly valued within that family, while the other ones tend to – more... belittle your efforts and abuse your availability. I like to think there are more great Managers than there are not so great ones.

Due to the pay cuts made, salary is also not the greatest. When hours are good the pays good, when the hours aren't there to give out, it makes it really tough to support yourself and pay monthly bills. Even at minimum wage being $10.25 if the hours are really bad it just doesn't fund the everyday costs.

I would say that it is a generally great working environment, but I wouldn't classify it as a lifetime job. Yet for those who do, they seem to be happy enough with it. – less

About Home Outfitters

As Canada's largest and fastest growing home specialty store, Home Outfitters offers the most innovative products for the home. – Read more