Home Outfitters Employee Reviews

Be prepared to do everything
Home Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 December 2016
The staff is undergoing a full turnover. They can't keep their managers on payroll as upper management makes life difficult to run a store sufficiently. The economy is bad and available hours are skeleton low. Be expected to know all departments including cash training and be worked to the bone with no staff support. (Not sufficent hours to have backup) Micromanaging is becomming worse, be careful not to sneeze without permission. Be prepared to stand all day and count yourself lucky if you get one half hour break in 8 hours. Entry level pay is min wage, if you have collage you might get an extra 20 cents. If ur looking at department level or above be sure to insist on good pay or risk as low as 33k a year. (Which is not worth all the hassle). You need the company credit card if you want any kind of staff discount. And as a floor sales associate you are expected to push the card hard and if you are not meeting targets expect at least a talking to. So, if you can handle working hard doing everything and afford little hours on low pay, then this is the place for you. One pro, staff are friendly and easy to work with.
Pros
Co-workers are good to work with
Cons
Expectations too high for number of hrs available to the store.
Good environment with all good looking and beautiful things around which are needed to make your home look beautuful and confortable.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 December 2016
Loved interacting with people and had a chance to see all the beautiful things for a beautiful and comfy home. Best quality gadgets for kitchen, comfort and the best quality beddings and so many other essentials required for a home. a very encouraging and understanding manager.
Pros
Convenient location, walking distance from home.
Cons
all work little social interaction
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 November 2016
a total fail . probably why they are going out of business. not able to retain good staff to maintain a decient customer base.
Cons
no schedual, long hours no thanks
Overall not a good place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON15 November 2016
-Very hard to work for
-Staff is mostly bullies
-Management did not care about ongoing problems
-Pay was always wrong
-never recieved pay slip
-poor training
Pros
discount
Cons
terrible employees
Great Company to work for
Gift Registry Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 October 2016
I was in charge of the bridal registry. I worked the floor as well as the registers. Great coworkers and management Helped brides pick out their registry items.
Pros
Great Company
Fun Place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON13 September 2016
Good experience and amazing staff. Enjoyed training new staff and watching them grow within the company. Would highly recommend working here to anyone looking to work at a retail environment.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
Long h
Fun working environment and great co workers!
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 August 2016
Typical day would consist of helping people to find items, helping sign up for credit cards and taking care of the tills

Management was pretty friendly but schedules weren't posted till 3 days before the next work week which kinda made it hard to plan around.

Favorite part was seeing the regular customers! its always nice to see familiar faces.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Not enough hours
Very Friendly Atmosphere
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 August 2016
Must Always Help customers find what they need and help them in anyway they need.
Learned to hone my Customer Service skills
Management always Asks us to Do things with a smile and Polite Attitude
My Coworkers are sweet and caring. Always helpful to both Customers and New Staff.
The Hardest part of the Job is Cashing out. I need to count everything and all the charge makes it difficult
The most Enjoyable Part is My Coworkers. They make the Day fly by
Pros
Friendly People
Cons
Takes awhile for Staff to help Cashiers
Long but enjoyable hours
Temporary Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC17 July 2016
Working inventory for long hours at a department store is no doubt dreading but the people were very friendly and it was enjoyable. Learned how to use inventory scanners, etc.
Pros
fun employees, free drinks
Fun
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Erin Mills, ON11 July 2016
Scanning bar codes
Entering data
Keeping records

Magement was freindly. Co workers were happy, freindly people. Hardest part was entering data correctly, and the most enjoyable part was keeping records.
Pros
Different then what I used to do
Cons
Short duration
fun place to work as you meet new people everyday
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 July 2016
A very good management and very nice co workers, hardest part was to convince people to sign up for credit cards which the management expects the most from us.
Productive Team Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON23 June 2016
I enjoyed working with friendly associates on daily basis. Customer Service to people was number 1 to me i tried to hep them the best i could what they were looking for.
I loved working there a good atmosphere.
Bad management.
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK4 June 2016
In my time working at Home Outtfiters I learned a lot about retail. There is no emplyee discount what so ever. As a cashier you have to stand for long periods of time, with no tasks to do but straight out the front. The management team is extreamly unprofessional. Management is often putting down their employees who don't earn credit sign ups. The biggest push of the store is pushing the hbc credit card. The management just cares about the sales of the company and treats their staff poor.
Pros
Having scheduled breaks
Cons
Bad management. No discounts. Long periods of standing.
Fun Environment
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 February 2016
Fun and welcoming environment, nice people and easy on the stress. Customers are fairly nice and know you by name. Management and co workers are friendly. Demand for sign ups are very high
Cons
Not always busy
Poorly run company
Manager, Hard Side (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON21 January 2016
The direction of the Company Leadership is not filtered down to the Store Associates. The Company has been closing Stores and I believe this trend will continue
Nice staff busy days
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 December 2015
A typical work day was very busy I was constantly busy. I learned how to close the tills and how to bag big boxes/items with ease. My coworkers were alright everyone got along and helped one another if someone needed help. The hardest part of my job was lifting heavy things and carrying them out to costumers cars. My most enjoyable part of my job was always being busy and alwasy being able to help in different departments.
Great management, unorganized store (not management's fault)
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 November 2015
Hired to work at Home Outfitters at Square One approaching closing-down date. Great managers, very supportive and helpful, friendly and supportive co-workers. No difficult tasks assigned. Cashier, cleaning sections, providing customer service took up most of my time. Only problems were how unorganized the store was, however, this was not management's fault as the store was closing down and customers did not seem to care about the store (throwing items on floor, not putting them back where they belonged, etc.).
Pros
Friendly environment, supportive peers
Cons
Unorganized store due to lack of care from customers
Provided lots of learning experiences; co-workers were the best :)
Cashier Clerk, Customer Service Employee (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC4 November 2015
I learnt plenty about working in a retain environment; customer service, processing transactions, learning about the store and the products etc. The people who worked there made every shift better and were always there to help, inside and outside of work. A difficult part was the heavy lifting and physical aspects, however management was very understanding and there to assist when needed.
HBC HBC HBC
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 October 2015
Day was usually pretty busy depending on the time of day.

We always had to ask if they would be paying with there HBC credit cards. If our average sales was less then 30 percent we would have a talk about why we didn't reach the target for HBC use
Cashier
Sales Associate; Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 October 2015
Great people, good hours, great home d├ęcor. Loved it! Management was really nice, constant incentives to promote the credit card. Lots of high fives. Great job!