Home Outfitters Employee Reviews in Canada

Bad management.
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKJune 4, 2016
In my time working at Home Outtfiters I learned a lot about retail. There is no emplyee discount what so ever. As a cashier you have to stand for long periods of time, with no tasks to do but straight out the front. The management team is extreamly unprofessional. Management is often putting down their employees who don't earn credit sign ups. The biggest push of the store is pushing the hbc credit card. The management just cares about the sales of the company and treats their staff poor.
Pros
Having scheduled breaks
Cons
Bad management. No discounts. Long periods of standing.
Great management, unorganized store (not management's fault)
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 22, 2015
Hired to work at Home Outfitters at Square One approaching closing-down date. Great managers, very supportive and helpful, friendly and supportive co-workers. No difficult tasks assigned. Cashier, cleaning sections, providing customer service took up most of my time. Only problems were how unorganized the store was, however, this was not management's fault as the store was closing down and customers did not seem to care about the store (throwing items on floor, not putting them back where they belonged, etc.).
Pros
Friendly environment, supportive peers
Cons
Unorganized store due to lack of care from customers
Fun Environment
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 18, 2016
Fun and welcoming environment, nice people and easy on the stress. Customers are fairly nice and know you by name. Management and co workers are friendly. Demand for sign ups are very high
Cons
Not always busy
Provided lots of learning experiences; co-workers were the best :)
Cashier Clerk, Customer Service Employee (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCNovember 4, 2015
I learnt plenty about working in a retain environment; customer service, processing transactions, learning about the store and the products etc. The people who worked there made every shift better and were always there to help, inside and outside of work. A difficult part was the heavy lifting and physical aspects, however management was very understanding and there to assist when needed.
Fun
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Erin Mills, ONJuly 11, 2016
Scanning bar codes
Entering data
Keeping records

Magement was freindly. Co workers were happy, freindly people. Hardest part was entering data correctly, and the most enjoyable part was keeping records.
Pros
Different then what I used to do
Cons
Short duration
Productive Team Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONJune 23, 2016
I enjoyed working with friendly associates on daily basis. Customer Service to people was number 1 to me i tried to hep them the best i could what they were looking for.
I loved working there a good atmosphere.
fun place to work as you meet new people everyday
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 7, 2016
A very good management and very nice co workers, hardest part was to convince people to sign up for credit cards which the management expects the most from us.
Productive and fun workplace
Stock Inventory (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 19, 2015
I was hired only for a weekend to do some stock inventory. Although I only worked with the staff for 2 days, they welcomed all of us with open arms. I instantly felt comfortable. I had to work an hour before closing time to about 9 or 10pm. Since I started an hour before closing time, often times customers would come up to me and ask me questions and if I could I would help them and if not I would kindly let them know I was only hired for the weekend. I did not have any experience doing anything with stock so this job really taught me how to go through inventory and update the stock. It also taught me that accuracy is very very important. Most of the co-workers I had were either my friends or complete strangers, although I was working with my friends I stayed on task and did not let myself get distracted. The management were very kind and you could easily go up to them to ask them any questions if you were confused about something. The most enjoyable part of the job was the job itself, as cliche as that sounds. I love keeping busy and actually doing something worthwhile and meeting new people on top of that. All in all, it was a very enjoyable experience.
Pros
2-3 breaks
Cons
late nights
Nice staff busy days
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 18, 2015
A typical work day was very busy I was constantly busy. I learned how to close the tills and how to bag big boxes/items with ease. My coworkers were alright everyone got along and helped one another if someone needed help. The hardest part of my job was lifting heavy things and carrying them out to costumers cars. My most enjoyable part of my job was always being busy and alwasy being able to help in different departments.
Excellent work environment
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  GTAJune 22, 2015
Have had a great working experience with the team and some of the managers here. The benefits are good and there are opportunities to grow.
Pros
benefits, health, dental and associate perks
Positive Work Environment With Energetic Management Team
RECEIVING & CUSTOMER SERVICE (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONSeptember 8, 2015
Goal-oriented management staff that actively teaches staff and connects on a personal and professional level. Customer base is friendly and forgiving, a great place for young people looking to join the work force.
Cashier
Sales Associate; Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONOctober 15, 2015
Great people, good hours, great home d├ęcor. Loved it! Management was really nice, constant incentives to promote the credit card. Lots of high fives. Great job!
Poorly run company
Manager, Hard Side (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJanuary 21, 2016
The direction of the Company Leadership is not filtered down to the Store Associates. The Company has been closing Stores and I believe this trend will continue
Productive fun & friendly workplace/ staff.
Square One location - Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 19, 2015
The Home Outfitters team was very friendly, and supportive for first timers. Management was friendly, and wise teaching me about the retail world.
Worst job ever
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSSeptember 29, 2014
You had to con people into signing up for the HBC credit/master card and if you didn't get people to sign up (not everyone wants it) then they would cut your hours because you're basically useless to them. If you are a cashier you stand at cash for a long period of time by yourself and there could be 2-3 hours where you have no customers and you can only straighten around your front cash so many times. Many times I have almost peed myself because, whoever was going to cover your break or cover so you could use the bathroom took forever to come up.. Probably a good job if you were in highschool!
Pros
other employees that worked there were really nice
Cons
bad pay, management was no good, long hours for nothing
Productive and great co workers
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ONSeptember 4, 2015
Amazing place to work at. flexible hours.
Supportive management.
Near end of its tenure, the hours became low. A typical day at the store has me cleaning the store and helping costumers.
Gained valuable experience in retail business.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONSeptember 18, 2015
An enjoyable workplace with friendly and co-operative co-workers. Together we strived to achieve sales targets and plans to become a top ten store in Ontario.
The most challenging aspect of the job was to make the goals set by the company. The most satifying part was building the TEAM to attain a successful result.
Great staff and flexible scheduling, but poor hours and difficult learning curve.
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 31, 2012
The management and staff are great. HBC Home Outfitters offers flexible hours and the work isn't very stressful at all. However, there is little to no room for advancement or even salary raises, and hours can be really bad (9-15). They never hire full-time staff, only part-time. While managers are friendly and supportive, often times each manager will have their own ways of running things and some of their methods may contradict what other managers may have told you to do, causing misdirection. Unlike other stores that have store credit cards, HBC wants associates to do everything they possibly can to try and get as many customers to use their HBC credit cards, or, if they don't have one, to apply for one. This procedure, while not difficult, can be tedious and annoying; it results in transactions taking much longer than they should, and can often times annoy the customers as they get bombarded with several questions. Their rewards and credit card systems, in addition to using very old cash registers, makes learning to use a lot of their equipment a long process.
Pros
great staff, work isn't too stressful, flexible scheduling
Cons
won't hire full-time, hours are poor, no room for advancement
Calm Environment with Few Benefits
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Maple, OntarioMay 3, 2014
A typical day at work would be spending the day at the cashier & recovering an area near the cash. I learned a lot when it came to customer service, and sales. The management was very unprofessional and did little to support their employees. The hardest part of the job was the fact that there were not many associates working at one time, especially on busy days. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know & helping out the different customers & be ing able to provide them with the service they needed.
Pros
calm environment, friendly associates
Cons
not many benefits, unprofessional management
HBC HBC HBC
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 26, 2015
Day was usually pretty busy depending on the time of day.

We always had to ask if they would be paying with there HBC credit cards. If our average sales was less then 30 percent we would have a talk about why we didn't reach the target for HBC use