Home Outfitters Employee Reviews

nice home accessories
Department Head/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON10 September 2017
High quality of products for you home. depends on your position you need to up and down ladders with heavy items
you need to unload receiving the stock them
Pros
you have at least one weekend off
Cons
your shift can be long
It was closing
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 August 2017
What happened at the home outfitters that I worked at does not reflect other home outfitters. It was a store that was closing, but it was unprepared with the number of customers, knowledge of items and discounts in the store, and organization.
Pros
Good employees
Sales Manager
Sales and Merchandise Manager (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK28 July 2017
I was the Sales Manager for Home Outfitters. Helping increase sales as well as the Home Outfitters MasterCard and the benefits and rewards of joining the Hudson Bay Company
Mediocre work experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 July 2017
One of my first jobs. Good start. Basically showed me how bad a job can potentially get and how little a management team could care about the safety of their employees. I just wish I knew more when I worked there so I could set my limits. As an underage worker, I was definitely taken advantage of.
Pros
...it's almost going out of business
Cons
Poor management. Horrible pay
Glad The Regina Location is Closing
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK24 July 2017
Ive worked here a few months and Its usually very slow, I haven't learned much from this job. The customers complain constantly about the marked up prices, they arnt dumb. they know they are getting ripped off. The things we have on liquidation you can still get at walmart for the same price. The management is pretty lame. They "forget" a lot of the things I ask for. Including days off. I was promised "lots of hours" and in the end Im only getting about 14 hrs a week.
In the end the store in Regina is closing so I guess they just stopped caring about the employee and customer needs.
Cons
No discounts, Managers are "forgetful", No hours
Great people to work with
Administration/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON29 May 2017
At the time it was hard to advance ended up leaving because only getting part time hours and no room to grow. Friendly environment and great place to work if only looking for part time hours.
Flexible Hours
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  20 Lebovic Ave. Toronto, ON10 May 2017
As an aspiring actor, holding down a job can be extremely difficult, especially when I have to drop a shift on short notice to go to an audition. Home Outfitters has been more than accommodating when it comes to changing my work schedule to fit my casting calls and shooting days.
Pros
Friendly, encouraging, and understanding managers. Good co-workers. Overall positive environment.
Cons
Short breaks. Working long hours through holiday and summer seasons. Complicated cashier procedures.
Work
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON9 May 2017
I enjoyed working at home outfitters. I had a job that I enjoyed and I worked only mornings. They did change the structure and procedure of unloading trucks so my job changed. It was hard on me to work with that.
poor management
Hardlines Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 May 2017
Favoritism designated amount of hours received weekly. Management was less than competent. The hardest part of the job was not having enough guidance from management.
Great jumping-off point into Customer Service
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON25 April 2017
Home Outfitters is a well-known brand in Ontario, and their products and customer service live up to a respectable review. While some of their prices might be higher than you'd find at a Walmart, you can't beat the quality or the variety of selection.

Offering SodaStream CO2 canister exchanges, impressively knowledgeable staff, and a desire to see the customer drive away satisfied with their purchase, it is one of the better places to work.
Pros
Quick and efficient staff, high quality items, great selection and stock of items
Cons
Pricy, few staff on floor, scheduling conflicts happen a lot
Nice Associates, Difficult Management
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 April 2017
Home Outfitters offered great experience but in a poor way. There was barely any training, they clearly believed in throwing you in and hoping you understand what you're doing. When you're told to do something and you do it just as you were told you're told it's done wrong. This is all from the management for the most part, I've had great experiences with the other associates, they were nothing but kind to me. It also seems clear that cooperate doesn't care about the retail side of the company.
Pros
Experience in every department
Cons
Not too much respect, poor delegation from management
Fast paced work
Inventory Staff (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 April 2017
Few days on inventory included basic training of how to use the inventory scanners and how the whole process would be run. Breaks where taken every few hours to rest. Teamwork was a must with this job.
cashier
front end cashier/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 March 2017
low amount of hours but good staff. treated with respect given promotions by merit. hours were usually given by seniority.great front end and customer staff
Pros
employee discount
Cons
late nights
Credit Card Enrollment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON14 March 2017
As a cashier you have to push the credit card. Your raises are based on whether you met the targeted goal. All other aspects of the job are no different then any other cashiering position.
Fun fun
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 March 2017
You meet many people and connect with many individuals. You will have to stay back hours to finish up extra work and your co worker will abandon you after 9:00 PM.
Pros
free pens
Cons
Just had to get through the day
Department lead (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 February 2017
Very little job satisfaction, there was little support within the organization for the team. I liked the people I worked with, thats all. Always felt overworked and the store location was poorly maintained. I would never tell someone to apply to this chain, ever.
Cons
Few benefits, long hard hours.
It is a good place just because our manager tries her best to make it so
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 February 2017
In our store, the manager strives to build a friendly, relaxed and fun team and we get along really well. Problem is, hours are terrible, some people have been cut off from 38 hours a week to 14 hours and that is a problem.
Also, employee appreciation is almost non-existent, there is barely any incentives and sometimes it is hard to feel appreciated.

Also, seems like head office needs to make some better decisions as some products are overflowing the shelves and overstock areas whereas others are out of stock for months and those are the ones the customers want the most.
Pros
The manager makes everyone feel liked and the team is friendly and gets alon
Cons
Hours are very uncertain, one month you can work full hours and then without notice, they cut them all off
productive and fun filled enviorment
Department head (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON29 January 2017
opened store.Allocated jobs to associates,made sure cash was ready for customers.I learnt merchandising,planograms and set-up for daily sales..The most enjoyable part of my job was customer service.
Fun and great environment
Home Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON10 January 2017
Home Outfitters is an amazing store to work at and buy from. It involves getting credit sign ups and total guard protection for appliances. Putting away stock and cleaning up shelves. Helping customers find what items suit them best for purchase. I find having limited staff makes it hard to really give good customer service as it provides longer waits for check out, or for even helping find customers find what they need. Most of the time staff on the floor is busy and with only one person to each side, majority of the time there is no help available to the customer.
Pros
Fantastic people to work with, great hours
Cons
Limited Staff
Be prepared to do everything
Home Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 December 2016
The staff is undergoing a full turnover. They can't keep their managers on payroll as upper management makes life difficult to run a store sufficiently. The economy is bad and available hours are skeleton low. Be expected to know all departments including cash training and be worked to the bone with no staff support. (Not sufficent hours to have backup) Micromanaging is becomming worse, be careful not to sneeze without permission. Be prepared to stand all day and count yourself lucky if you get one half hour break in 8 hours. Entry level pay is min wage, if you have collage you might get an extra 20 cents. If ur looking at department level or above be sure to insist on good pay or risk as low as 33k a year. (Which is not worth all the hassle). You need the company credit card if you want any kind of staff discount. And as a floor sales associate you are expected to push the card hard and if you are not meeting targets expect at least a talking to. So, if you can handle working hard doing everything and afford little hours on low pay, then this is the place for you. One pro, staff are friendly and easy to work with.
Pros
Co-workers are good to work with
Cons
Expectations too high for number of hrs available to the store.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Outfitters. Our community is ready to answer.