Home Instead Senior Care Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
they like to make it seam like its a family business
Office Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON27 August 2017
They only look out for themselves went into the job not being trained, thrown in and it was sink or swim.

Once I had set up everything and organized their office which was a mess they didn't have a use to keep that position open. (I'm still on their corporate website cause they don't know how to change it)
Pros
hours
Cons
no on the job training
Management and office is HORRIBLE and unorganized
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON29 June 2017
office staff doesn't seem to care. Money is what is important. so they will just do what they have to, good or not to keep clients. caregivers have been asked to work privately by clients because they don't like management. Caregivers have an extreme risk of caregiver burnout, because we get calls all the time to work even when we have said we cant because of being over worked..but that doesn't seem to matter. sometimes, after we have said no to the scheduler, the boss will call and ask so we feel bullied. But the whole part of this job is that we are supposed to be allowed to accept clients or not, and many of us cant take jobs at the last minute. Then I feel we get penalized if we say no. and we can lose hours because of it.

There is very little training. I was put out into my first client without even having an orientation or anyone to come with me. It was months before that even happened, Pays get messed up, alot! Then caregivers have to come in to the office and ask for it to be fixed. The boss/ owner doesn't seem to have time for the caregivers. The scheduler seems to pick favorites, so our hrs can be just taken away or given at her whim. If we call in to discuss a client, it doesn't seem to go anywhere. There is no follow up.
There is a lot of turnover, not only in caregivers, which is VERY high. But in the office staff too. It just seems chaotic.

The best part of the job is the clients. I love helping them, and spending time with all my clients.

The pay is not very good. If you want to work here, you cannot rely on the money.

If you want hours, you
  more... really have to be available 24/7 and on call. which makes it difficult to have a life outside that.  less
Pros
clients
Cons
to many to list.
Demanding Job with High Pay Offs
Director of Client Care (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 June 2017
I have been working for the Mississauga and Etobicoke offices for several years now and it is unquestionably the best organization that I have ever worked for.

This is definitely a demanding job and the environment is fast-paced. At times it is stressful dealing with the very emotional needs of clients and a heavy work load, but you come out at the end feeling great about the contribution that you have made and the impact that it has on the families that you support. At the same time, I am grateful to work along side of individuals that share that same passion and commitment, who always support me.

The owners of these franchises are very invested in their employees. I, like many, have benefited from their continued support, mentoring and the opportunity for career growth. Besides my own movement within the organization, we have had CAREGivers advance their skill set from free education that is provided regularly, some have been promoted into operational roles within the organization and then there are office coordinators that have now have reached Manager and Director roles.

The intrinsic rewards of this job are exponential and monetarily we are equally compensated. Staff have also been rewarded with bonuses, quarterly incentives, monthly movie nights, trips, dinners and list goes on and on.

At first, all of this was unbelievable. I thought that this was the “honeymoon phase” and I would get a better perspective on the business months into it, but six great years later and I happy and hoping to be a “lifer”.
caregiver
Psw (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON7 June 2017
its a good company they are flexable and passionate they have great reviews days go by fast I learned how to be passionate the hardest part is when I had to end the contract
it was a good place to work
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON29 May 2017
i enjoyed working with home instead , i got alot got experince and to meet alot nice people .also made some good freinds . I had really good clients ilove working with them and the family .
Friendly/Productive Workplace
Caregiver/Hospital Networking (Part Time) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 May 2017
This Is A Most Wonderful Place To Work For. The Staff Are Very Friendly & Helpful. The Owners Are Beyond Pleasant & Have A Huge Heart For There Business.
Pros
Warm, Friendly, Easy Environment
great management terrible pay
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON25 May 2017
Great job. Terrible pay! you make the same as a person thats been working for 10 years. occasionally you win a visa giftcard or recognized in a newsletter.
Great opportunity to learn home-care skills with many courses offered montly.
Home Care Worker (Current Employee) –  West end Edmonton, AB27 April 2017
The best thing about Home Instead Senior Care West Edmonton is that they provide Courses in many areas of Health/Home Care to employees and the general public.

HISC is a supportive, caring work environment for the best senior care in Edmonton.
Pros
Provides learning opprtunities with course materials and company references
Cons
Irregular shifts are requested often and on short notice
good workplace
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON30 March 2017
the staff is good
nice management; human approach
flexible schedule, work with you
enjoyable, not stressful
gain experience
understanding
good coworkers
Work for someone else
Home Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 February 2017
The administration turn over is rediculous! The owners are bullies and I highly don't recommend working for this company! Being a companion to the seniors definitely has its rewards but I would suggest working for a different company to achieve this!
Pros
Working with seniors
Cons
The owners are bullies and go through staff like crazy
Highly unprofessional
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON9 February 2017
Belittling and swearing towards employees from employer
Would not compensate when you were required to work out of town
Overloaded workers with unrealistic demands
Staff was fearful
Work is not done to Ministry standards
its a great way of helping others.
Senior Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 February 2017
I liked it and being able to help and spend time with our seniors. It was nice to see them happy and satisfied when you could help them stay at home and be comfortable.
Pros
seeing others happy.
Cons
Boring at times and gross
the most enjoyable part of the day
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2017
Very enjoyable workplace to get remarkable experience. My clients were very appreciative for everything you do for them and the employers are grateful
Poor Wages. No Marketing, so few clients
Recruitment and Retention Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 February 2017
Management need to put Marketing as a priority before they lose any more good Care Givers. Business is slow. Management is stressed. Atmosphere in the office is tense because of it.
Pros
Lovely work Collages.
Cons
Stressed out new Management. Tense working atmosphere. Poor wages.
Learning, Compassionate, Caring, and Supportive
Senior Caregiver/Companionship (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 January 2017
I was very fortunate to have been a part of "Home Instead Senior Care" team. I grew within the company and learned much about what it meant to Lead with your Heart, Compassion and Care of the Elderly, Ensure their safety at all times. Their support and quality of Leadership made it possible for me to provide the very best possible care. Their understanding and compassion with advice, support and continuing growth of my abilities to provide consistent care, is a result of their confidence in my ethic, and care of clients patients entrusted to me. The most enjoyable part was the interraction with staff, the team members of Home Instead Senior Care" where we gathered quarterly for meetings where we were honoured for our work, encouraged for excellence, and continually supported in our efforts to learn about providing care, maintaining a consistent quality of care to those in our care.
Pros
Consistent Care, Support, And Communication with Instruction
Cons
There were none
This company sucks
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 January 2017
I worked with this company for a year. My mom was very ill and I had a shift in the evening. I called them in the morning that my mom was sick and I couldn't make it. They called me to their office the next morning and they fired me.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Bad salary, unconsiderate
Productive and Enlightening
Community Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON27 December 2016
Working with seniors draws you into the mortality of being. The clients are mostly amiable, and the company offers flexibility in schedule.
Very accomodating
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON25 December 2016
While I worked for this company I was in college for my RPN. I met quite a few other employee doing the same. The schedule was open and I could pick up shifts when I was available. The staff was very supportive.
Pros
Very supportive
Cons
Very low pay
patient,responsible & happy
Health Care Aide/ caregiver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 December 2016
always start a day with a smile

i learned to lengthen my patience and widen my understanding for the client

management is great and supportive

co-workers are very cooperative and responsible

the hardest part of the job is when a client has a bad day & we have to do everything to calm them down

the most enjoyable part is when a client is having fun & happy with our services
Job is better suites for a single person
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON15 October 2016
I loved my job however I was being over worked . I would work 40, hours straight then be scheduled for a 6 am shift. Great money but you need to be able to work long hours .

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Instead Senior Care. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8