Home Instead Senior Care

Home Instead Senior Care Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Company is sincere but mislead
caregiver (Former Employee), NiagaraJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: very friendly management
Cons: pay/ job security, hours sporadic
I believe the company is sincere in it's desire to offer quality care but they deny the necessity of a PSW certificate. Even though there is a non-medical service offered that doesn't account for the need for good support work training. There were videos that were supposed to train you to deal with Alzheimer/dementia care but it was very basic and there was no practical training for lifts,backcare etc . Essentially getting you to do PSW work without the pay.
Also pay veried. You got paid one level for part of the shift and another level if the care for those hrs was not as demanding. Pay was far below industry level.
Senior Provider
Senior Care Provider (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 16, 2014
I really enjoyed working with the seniors. I have always had respect for seniors and have raised my children to be the same when dealing with senior citizens, it is my belief that seniors deserve to be respected.
An extremely demanding work environment both personally and professionally.
Administrative Assistant - Scheduling (Former Employee), Halifax, NSMarch 20, 2014
Pros: work to support some of your communities most vulnerable people
Cons: total lack of work-life balance
This organization is a 24-hour environment. While this level of commitment from staff ensures top-tier attention and maximized individual efforts are directed towards outstanding client care, this expectation of round-the-clock dedication without clear dictates of availability or unavailability is not for the faint of heart.
Self-sufficient work life which allows for close bonds to be established with clients
Caregiver (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 18, 2013
Pros: develop close bonds to clients.
Cons: do not get paid by the hour for a 24hr shift or for overnight shifts (fixed rate).
One-on-one compassionate care to an older adult living at home.
Working with individuals who have dementia provides the opportunity for the caregiver to develop strong interpersonal skills such as empathy, patience, creativity in patient care, validation of patient's feelings, and communication with family members.
A caregiver's journal is present in every client's home which is required for the caregiver to document the client's health status, and any pertinent information.
Depending on the client's health needs, there may be more than one caregiver working with a client, in which case communication between co-workers is needed. This is done through the caregiver's journal, when caregiver's meet at the beginning/end of their shift, or through the agency's office.
Ok place, lack of organization and communication
Home Helper (Former Employee), Woodstock, ONNovember 12, 2013
Cons: not enough hours at times
In home care communication is required. When you call and need to explain, you should be able to talk to one person and get it sorted out not go through 3 people in the office. The teamwork with someone with 24hr care was amazing. Most are not PSW's like I because it's non medical it's not important to have. Being able to help my client transition back into being home from hospital, getting to know them on a more personal level.
Happy and fun to work
Home Instead Senior Care (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 29, 2013
Pros: chatting with thwm
Cons: n/a
The most enjoyable part of the my job is when i saw my client with there big smile that is my priceless...
A typical Day as a Nurse
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee), torontoMarch 11, 2013
Pros: long hours therefore you make more money, and i get to utilize all my skills
Cons: when the hours get cut
I would normally wake up at 6 am and make my way to work. Once I get there i would first do my round of the floor and make sure all the resident are okay and alive. I would also check the charts to see if there is any information, or change in the patient's status or if there was an incident. Then I will begin to prepare the morning medications. While the patient's are having breakfast or making there way down to breakfast I will start administering the medications to about 25-30 residents. After the medications have been administered i will begin to document and start preparing the afternoon medications and continue with assessments and documentations.
Good Manangement and very nice employers.
Caregiver (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 11, 2013
Pros: free trips
Cons: regular time
Its a very nice and good experience for me to work and working at my current company.The management is also very nice and very kind and also my co - workers. Though the hardest past is when you care for one client for a long time and he/she lost ( passed away) is so sad and you have to start all over again to a new and different clients again. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you go and accompany you clients to different places all over Winnipeg from the mall to museums,etc.
Good job if you are flexible with time
Caregiver (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 16, 2012
Pros: fun things with seniors
Cons: hours vary, some days you work 12 hours, other days, only 3
I liked this job, but I found that I seemed to always be on call which I wasn't aware of. I would get calls at 7 asking me to be at work by 8. You can say no to jobs, but if you say no too many times they stop calling you. Also, I was having to drive over an hour to some of my shifts that were only 3 hours long so I felt that I was spending more on gas than I was getting paid. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the seniors I worked with and doing things with them.
Fun workplace
Caregiver (Current Employee), Mississauga,Ontario CanadaOctober 7, 2011
Cons: long hours work
My views about the company that I have worked with is that they treat as a family.The owners are very nice, understanding and they know how to handle their employees.
I enjoy seeing the people in the office.
Caregiver/Aide (Current Employee), Statesville, NCJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: get to go to other people`s homes, meet new people
Cons: n/a
I don't usually contact the office, but when I do they are polite and are understanding to you and your schedules. Hardest part of the job is finding a shift that is perfect for your schedule that will be permanent. When they do however, find you a shift they get you in there as quickly as they can.
My rating for this company is all stars, but I can`t click all of them.
freedom
Caregiver/Provider (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: no lunch breaks and freedom
Cons: benefits, low pay
help clients
do your job properly
arrive on time
have a cheerful attitude
enjoy your clients and job
Not worth it, unless you're desperate.
staff (Former Employee), TuscaloosaJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: you can say you have a job
Cons: poor training, expectations too high
you will be underpaid and under-respected. The work you are asked of is for a certified CNA. But, they don't want to pay for those.
Enjoy both management and client
Weekend Evening Caregiver (Current Employee), Norwalk, CTJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: staff gives individual attention to our needs.
Cons: salary
Engage client in stimulating conversation and exercise.
Can always call the office with concerns.
They have a deep commitment toward their clients and staff
Companion/Homemaker (Former Employee), Murrells Inlet, SCJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: meeting a variety of new people
Cons: sometimes short notice of assignment changes
When doing work as a companion there is really no typical day,because each client is different. I learned to expect they unexpected and to keep an open mind. The management staff did their very best to match workers and clients,that they would have some shared interests. My co-workers were for the most part easy to work with. The hardest part was having to leave a client when the assignment ended. The owner and management staff made the effort to provide not only the clients with fun events to attend but the staff as well.
Great place to work, great staff.
Caregiver/Med Aide (Former Employee), Concord, NCJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: great clients
Cons: na
A great place to work, wonderful clients and family members, and a great staff. Great work and life balance. I learned a lot from the training classes also.
Stressful Position
Staffing Coordinator/Recruiter (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALJanuary 14, 2015
The hours were gruesome and stress level at times was hard to manage. Over the weekends two people were expected to manage the entire office and were reprimanded if shifts were not always staffed. Its cold calling caregivers asking them to take shifts all day.
Great staff very helpful and suportive always available to answer questions or just give suport when needed.
Home Health Aide (HHA) (Former Employee), Vero Beach, FLJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: lots of comunication
Cons: cant think of any.
The team was very helpful, from the staff to co-workers. shared needed info for client from what to expect to what went on during the shift before.
very rewarding job because they take it "personally"
Care Giver/ Personal Care Assistant (Current Employee), Winchester, VAJanuary 12, 2015
Their motto is "Because to us its personal" wonderful company of Caregivers to senior clients who wish to stay at home and not go into a nursing home
a great place to work
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 8, 2015
Home instead senior care is a wonderful company to work for fun and a lot to learn. I have learned many things from the jobs I have had previously. In all my past jobs I have used the Spanish language. I have always been asked for by name by our Spanish-speaking clients. My managers always called on me to help translate and I was glad to do it with a friendly attitude. My skill in the Spanish language will be an asset to the hospital. I can help any person that may need my assistance in the Spanish language, help any Spanish-speaking people that my need translation.

1 2 3 4 5

About Home Instead Senior Care

Home Instead Senior Care provides non-medical services for seniors. America's trusted source for senior care.

Home Instead Senior Care Photos