Home Instead Senior Care

Home Instead Senior Care Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Not enough hours
Home Care Worker (Former Employee), Windsor, ONApril 14, 2016
Pros: Long breaks
Cons: Driving around all day, short hours, minimum wage, a lot of cleaning
The pay wasn't enough because the hours weren't there you work 2 hours maybe 4 but you drive far off its hard to get a 8hour shift. It's very slow to get clients you waste a lot of gas. If you don't have a car this job is not a good fit. The clients are nice but expect a lot from you because they are paying the company 20.00 an hour roughly and you get 11.25 you can't get more then that. The hours are definitely less then 20 hours a week you can't really live off this job if you have a family or have rent to pay.
Good Management
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 13, 2016
The work is enjoyable and challenging depending on the client condition. The management is accommodating and organized. The management knows how to value their staff.
Great place to work due to the respect that is given not only to the clients, but also to the employees.
Personal Support Worker/PSW (Current Employee), Niagara Falls, ONMarch 8, 2016
Pros: Great management that respects your opinion and experience.
Cons: Salary
On a typical day of work it allows me the option to work at my hours of availability. The clients are wonderful and fulfilling. Management respects my professional opinion and my training. Co-workers are always friendly and respectful of the clients and each other. The hardest part of my job is knowing that I will have to find other employment due to financial needs. The most enjoyable part of my job is the interactions I have with my clients.
bad management. ..dishonest owners
Scheduling Coordinator (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONMarch 8, 2016
Pros: caregivers are fabulous
Cons: owner is impossible to get along with
Owners are very rude to both clients and caregivers. Owners talk rudely about clients. Paycheques are never correct. Hourly wages for caregivers aren't inline with responsibilities. Owners blame all mistakes on everyone else. Owner never remembers clients names.
A great care giving company
Caregiver/PSW (Former Employee), Windsor, ONNovember 9, 2015
Pros: try to give you a client assignment near your residence. Lovely clients to work for.
Cons: short hours, minimum wage pay
I worked for Home Instead Senior Care for about a year and I loved how the shifts were very flexible, the schedulers tried their best to accommodate my shifts even though I had another job and was in school full-time. I thought it was also very organized with the scheduling and how you can access everything online.

It is a great job since you build a trusting relationships with your clients and sometimes they consider you as family. The only cons would be not getting paid to do personal care.
Great place to work,
Caregiver (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 2, 2015
Pros: fun place to work
Cons: wages
Overall it was a wonderful place to work, I learned a lot, I was in clients homes in hospitals and long term facilities, They offered training to all staff. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with my clients to help improve their day to day life, and learning from nursing staff.
a very supportive management.
Part Time Personal Support Worker (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONOctober 30, 2015
They have a very supportive staff and management, the working environment is conducive for learning and professional growth since I worked here I have gained a lot of experience in dealing with our seniors and how to better be of help to their needs.
Looking after elderly
caregiver (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONOctober 26, 2015
Pros: The feeling like you were helping out
Cons: only 3 hr shifts
I enjoy working with the public.Helping the elderly threw part of thier day.As caregiver I was also a companion.Its sometimes hard to watch people such as the elderly struggle with day to day life.
Productive workplace
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee), Oakville, ONOctober 19, 2015
Pros: working with clients
Cons: not enough shifts
I absolutely enjoyed working for Home Instead. Amazing staff and clients. I wouldn't say there's a "typical" day at work because every client is different, meaning everyday is different. I worked with mostly elderly clientèle, it was about helping them with ADLS ( activity's of daily living) and that can range from getting them dressed to feeding them, or even keeping them company while there family's step out for the day. The hardest part of the job was keeping the families satisfied and gaining their trust,it can be hard to leave a loved one with someone you barley know. I had a good experience with management just because I think they could rely on me and I was flexible with any shift that came up even if it was last minute.
Long hours/ poor pay/sent to differnet locations
Companion//PSW duties//not a PSW though (Former Employee), Oakville, ONOctober 18, 2015
Pros: FRIENDSHIP
Cons: WASTED GAS //HALF PAY
Companionship//had you do psw work skills
and paid you minimum wage. They had you drive from one end of oakville to mississauga or burlington
wasteing your gas.
Only enjoyed the companionship of seniors
Tense Workplace, no atmosphere ,
Cargiver (Former Employee), Port Coquitlam, BCSeptember 21, 2015
Pros: Cargiver/Clients
Cons: Pay is awful
This Company doesn't pay there caregivers what they deserve.they have 1 1/2 shifts, when there suppose to get paid a min of 4 hours..

I would NEVER recommend this company to anyone...

if your looking for someone to care for your loved one,, call around cause this company rips ppl off.
Were playing cards, scrabble, read the story books, cooking of different of food ,sometime in the garden plying badminton and more
Health Care Aide (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 16, 2015
Pros: Free food
Cons: Long Hours
A typical day at work is..Supervise and care ,Give Medication, massage, Exercise, Meal Preparation, Housekeeping, laundry reading story books. I learned a lot of different people and different personality different style, Management is to prepare all that we need before you start the next day. My co-workers we're helping each for the best result of our work. the hardest part of the job is when the old lady past away...the most enjoyable part of the job when the old lady tech us how to bake of different cakes ,cookies,pie,pudding and if we mistake the measurement and she's non-stop laughing to us.
A warm productive environment focusing on care and core values
Caregiver (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONSeptember 16, 2015
Pros: Uplifting core values and appreciation for our work as caregivers
Cons: I truly dont see any... It is a productive, and growth oriented environment
Home Instead Senior Care, offers a balanced outlook to senior Care. Ensures that Caregivers are given skills, outlooks and core values that allows the Caregivers to be confident in their care of their clients, provide courses of training that further instills skills and consistent care of clients ensuring knowledge base is there. The staff is welcoming.. very much open door policy. I have very much and still do enjoy my work with Home Instead Senior Care.

I think a typical day is making sure that my client is happy and enjoys her day. My co-workers are enthusiatic about their clients, show an amazing capacity for compassion and care. The hardest part of the job is when the assignments are ending as it is hard to leave a client you have bonded with. The most enjoyable part is seeing the smile on their faces when I enter their home..their laughter as I have not even spoken a word and they are anticipating a wonderful day.
Caring for needs of seniors in their homes or institution
Caregiver (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONSeptember 11, 2015
Pros: Rewarding
Cons: Not enough moral support from supervisors.
Spending time with seniors in their homes or institutions - reading, playing games, doing puzzles, going for walks, chatting.

Light housekeeping & cooking.
Interesting place to work for- would not recommend
Caregiver (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaAugust 18, 2015
Pros: the clients you worked for, got to know them on a personal level.
Alot of office staff had quite or moved on to different things so there was no consistency. No organization, one person would tell you one thing and the other the next another. They would phone at any time of the day if they needed you to do a fill in shift. On a couple of occasions they would lie to your face just to try and get a shift filled. They say they keep you within 30 mins of where you live (driving time), Multiple times they wanted me to do shifts in the N.W/N.E when I live in the S.W. Vacation pay is included in your hourly wage, which was not known at the time of hire. Vast lack of hours (usually only 3 hr shifts) 6 hours a week was the norm for a month. Needed 30 hours, Only ever reached 15 hr at any given time. Schedule was different every week.They only pay for gas money (0.50 KM) when you are driving with a client or doing errands for them, which made it really hard when you had to drive half way across Calgary for an hour when you did buddy shifts. The overall idea is a good one, but the way they run this business is terrible. Multiple people quite on a regular basis.
productive and fun
Office Manager (Current Employee), Peterborough, ONApril 5, 2015
Pros: staff are amazing
Cons: low pay
Home Instead is a great company trying to help senior's stay at home. Staff are fun and friendly. Good balance between work and everyday life.
Scheduling Coordinator
Scheduling Coordinator (Former Employee), Halifax, NSMarch 31, 2015
I have earned great experience working at Home Instead Senior Care. With their large employee base, along with their constant growing client base, I have learned how to deal with a great variety of different personalities. This has helped develop the way I provide customer service, and the way I approach each individual person. Home Instead Senior Care is also where I gained most of my Scheduling/Staffing abilities, time management ability, and the importance of staying organized, as this is such a fast pace working environment.
Great place to learn and be appreciated
Senior Care Provider (Non-Medical) (Current Employee), Midland, ONJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: training was paid for and lunch was provided. this is a real bonus
Cons: none that i have found.
I have only had two placements with Home Instead but I found the orientation was great and welcoming. I have worked alongside the owner at Christmas to help seniors wrap gifts and then one this year to assist a senior in getting to the doctors office.
I found both experiences rewarding.
Company is sincere but mislead
caregiver (Former Employee), NiagaraJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: very friendly management
Cons: pay/ job security, hours sporadic
I believe the company is sincere in it's desire to offer quality care but they deny the necessity of a PSW certificate. Even though there is a non-medical service offered that doesn't account for the need for good support work training. There were videos that were supposed to train you to deal with Alzheimer/dementia care but it was very basic and there was no practical training for lifts,backcare etc . Essentially getting you to do PSW work without the pay.
Also pay veried. You got paid one level for part of the shift and another level if the care for those hrs was not as demanding. Pay was far below industry level.
Senior Provider
Senior Care Provider (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 16, 2014
I really enjoyed working with the seniors. I have always had respect for seniors and have raised my children to be the same when dealing with senior citizens, it is my belief that seniors deserve to be respected.
Headquarters