Home Instead Senior Care

Home Instead Senior Care Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great place to work,
Caregiver (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 2, 2015
Pros: fun place to work
Cons: wages
Overall it was a wonderful place to work, I learned a lot, I was in clients homes in hospitals and long term facilities, They offered training to all staff. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with my clients to help improve their day to day life, and learning from nursing staff.
a very supportive management.
Part Time Personal Support Worker (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONOctober 30, 2015
They have a very supportive staff and management, the working environment is conducive for learning and professional growth since I worked here I have gained a lot of experience in dealing with our seniors and how to better be of help to their needs.
Looking after elderly
caregiver (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONOctober 26, 2015
Pros: The feeling like you were helping out
Cons: only 3 hr shifts
I enjoy working with the public.Helping the elderly threw part of thier day.As caregiver I was also a companion.Its sometimes hard to watch people such as the elderly struggle with day to day life.
Productive workplace
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee), Oakville, ONOctober 19, 2015
Pros: working with clients
Cons: not enough shifts
I absolutely enjoyed working for Home Instead. Amazing staff and clients. I wouldn't say there's a "typical" day at work because every client is different, meaning everyday is different. I worked with mostly elderly clientèle, it was about helping them with ADLS ( activity's of daily living) and that can range from getting them dressed to feeding them, or even keeping them company while there family's step out for the day. The hardest part of the job was keeping the families satisfied and gaining their trust,it can be hard to leave a loved one with someone you barley know. I had a good experience with management just because I think they could rely on me and I was flexible with any shift that came up even if it was last minute.
Long hours/ poor pay/sent to differnet locations
Companion//PSW duties//not a PSW though (Former Employee), Oakville, ONOctober 18, 2015
Pros: FRIENDSHIP
Cons: WASTED GAS //HALF PAY
Companionship//had you do psw work skills
and paid you minimum wage. They had you drive from one end of oakville to mississauga or burlington
wasteing your gas.
Only enjoyed the companionship of seniors
Tense Workplace, no atmosphere ,
Cargiver (Former Employee), Port Coquitlam, BCSeptember 21, 2015
Pros: Cargiver/Clients
Cons: Pay is awful
This Company doesn't pay there caregivers what they deserve.they have 1 1/2 shifts, when there suppose to get paid a min of 4 hours..

I would NEVER recommend this company to anyone...

if your looking for someone to care for your loved one,, call around cause this company rips ppl off.
Were playing cards, scrabble, read the story books, cooking of different of food ,sometime in the garden plying badminton and more
Health Care Aide (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 16, 2015
Pros: Free food
Cons: Long Hours
A typical day at work is..Supervise and care ,Give Medication, massage, Exercise, Meal Preparation, Housekeeping, laundry reading story books. I learned a lot of different people and different personality different style, Management is to prepare all that we need before you start the next day. My co-workers we're helping each for the best result of our work. the hardest part of the job is when the old lady past away...the most enjoyable part of the job when the old lady tech us how to bake of different cakes ,cookies,pie,pudding and if we mistake the measurement and she's non-stop laughing to us.
A warm productive environment focusing on care and core values
Caregiver (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONSeptember 16, 2015
Pros: Uplifting core values and appreciation for our work as caregivers
Cons: I truly dont see any... It is a productive, and growth oriented environment
Home Instead Senior Care, offers a balanced outlook to senior Care. Ensures that Caregivers are given skills, outlooks and core values that allows the Caregivers to be confident in their care of their clients, provide courses of training that further instills skills and consistent care of clients ensuring knowledge base is there. The staff is welcoming.. very much open door policy. I have very much and still do enjoy my work with Home Instead Senior Care.

I think a typical day is making sure that my client is happy and enjoys her day. My co-workers are enthusiatic about their clients, show an amazing capacity for compassion and care. The hardest part of the job is when the assignments are ending as it is hard to leave a client you have bonded with. The most enjoyable part is seeing the smile on their faces when I enter their home..their laughter as I have not even spoken a word and they are anticipating a wonderful day.
Caring for needs of seniors in their homes or institution
Caregiver (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONSeptember 11, 2015
Pros: Rewarding
Cons: Not enough moral support from supervisors.
Spending time with seniors in their homes or institutions - reading, playing games, doing puzzles, going for walks, chatting.

Light housekeeping & cooking.
Interesting place to work for- would not recommend
Caregiver (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaAugust 18, 2015
Pros: the clients you worked for, got to know them on a personal level.
Alot of office staff had quite or moved on to different things so there was no consistency. No organization, one person would tell you one thing and the other the next another. They would phone at any time of the day if they needed you to do a fill in shift. On a couple of occasions they would lie to your face just to try and get a shift filled. They say they keep you within 30 mins of where you live (driving time), Multiple times they wanted me to do shifts in the N.W/N.E when I live in the S.W. Vacation pay is included in your hourly wage, which was not known at the time of hire. Vast lack of hours (usually only 3 hr shifts) 6 hours a week was the norm for a month. Needed 30 hours, Only ever reached 15 hr at any given time. Schedule was different every week.They only pay for gas money (0.50 KM) when you are driving with a client or doing errands for them, which made it really hard when you had to drive half way across Calgary for an hour when you did buddy shifts. The overall idea is a good one, but the way they run this business is terrible. Multiple people quite on a regular basis.
productive and fun
Office Manager (Current Employee), Peterborough, ONApril 5, 2015
Pros: staff are amazing
Cons: low pay
Home Instead is a great company trying to help senior's stay at home. Staff are fun and friendly. Good balance between work and everyday life.
Scheduling Coordinator
Scheduling Coordinator (Former Employee), Halifax, NSMarch 31, 2015
I have earned great experience working at Home Instead Senior Care. With their large employee base, along with their constant growing client base, I have learned how to deal with a great variety of different personalities. This has helped develop the way I provide customer service, and the way I approach each individual person. Home Instead Senior Care is also where I gained most of my Scheduling/Staffing abilities, time management ability, and the importance of staying organized, as this is such a fast pace working environment.
Company is sincere but mislead
caregiver (Former Employee), NiagaraJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: very friendly management
Cons: pay/ job security, hours sporadic
I believe the company is sincere in it's desire to offer quality care but they deny the necessity of a PSW certificate. Even though there is a non-medical service offered that doesn't account for the need for good support work training. There were videos that were supposed to train you to deal with Alzheimer/dementia care but it was very basic and there was no practical training for lifts,backcare etc . Essentially getting you to do PSW work without the pay.
Also pay veried. You got paid one level for part of the shift and another level if the care for those hrs was not as demanding. Pay was far below industry level.
Senior Provider
Senior Care Provider (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 16, 2014
I really enjoyed working with the seniors. I have always had respect for seniors and have raised my children to be the same when dealing with senior citizens, it is my belief that seniors deserve to be respected.
An extremely demanding work environment both personally and professionally.
Administrative Assistant - Scheduling (Former Employee), Halifax, NSMarch 20, 2014
Pros: work to support some of your communities most vulnerable people
Cons: total lack of work-life balance
This organization is a 24-hour environment. While this level of commitment from staff ensures top-tier attention and maximized individual efforts are directed towards outstanding client care, this expectation of round-the-clock dedication without clear dictates of availability or unavailability is not for the faint of heart.
Self-sufficient work life which allows for close bonds to be established with clients
Caregiver (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 18, 2013
Pros: develop close bonds to clients.
Cons: do not get paid by the hour for a 24hr shift or for overnight shifts (fixed rate).
One-on-one compassionate care to an older adult living at home.
Working with individuals who have dementia provides the opportunity for the caregiver to develop strong interpersonal skills such as empathy, patience, creativity in patient care, validation of patient's feelings, and communication with family members.
A caregiver's journal is present in every client's home which is required for the caregiver to document the client's health status, and any pertinent information.
Depending on the client's health needs, there may be more than one caregiver working with a client, in which case communication between co-workers is needed. This is done through the caregiver's journal, when caregiver's meet at the beginning/end of their shift, or through the agency's office.
Ok place, lack of organization and communication
Home Helper (Former Employee), Woodstock, ONNovember 12, 2013
Cons: not enough hours at times
In home care communication is required. When you call and need to explain, you should be able to talk to one person and get it sorted out not go through 3 people in the office. The teamwork with someone with 24hr care was amazing. Most are not PSW's like I because it's non medical it's not important to have. Being able to help my client transition back into being home from hospital, getting to know them on a more personal level.
Happy and fun to work
Home Instead Senior Care (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 29, 2013
Pros: chatting with thwm
Cons: n/a
The most enjoyable part of the my job is when i saw my client with there big smile that is my priceless...
A typical Day as a Nurse
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee), torontoMarch 11, 2013
Pros: long hours therefore you make more money, and i get to utilize all my skills
Cons: when the hours get cut
I would normally wake up at 6 am and make my way to work. Once I get there i would first do my round of the floor and make sure all the resident are okay and alive. I would also check the charts to see if there is any information, or change in the patient's status or if there was an incident. Then I will begin to prepare the morning medications. While the patient's are having breakfast or making there way down to breakfast I will start administering the medications to about 25-30 residents. After the medications have been administered i will begin to document and start preparing the afternoon medications and continue with assessments and documentations.
Good Manangement and very nice employers.
Caregiver (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 11, 2013
Pros: free trips
Cons: regular time
Its a very nice and good experience for me to work and working at my current company.The management is also very nice and very kind and also my co - workers. Though the hardest past is when you care for one client for a long time and he/she lost ( passed away) is so sad and you have to start all over again to a new and different clients again. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you go and accompany you clients to different places all over Winnipeg from the mall to museums,etc.
Headquarters