Home Instead Senior Care

Home Instead Senior Care Employee Reviews

five star
Senior Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 20, 2016
This is a fabulous company to work with. Then training was excellent and we had monthly meetings to ensure client care was at it's highest level.

A typical day would be to pick up a client and bring that person to an appointment. Help with making lunch, dinner light house work, and remind client to take medication.

A course was given on Alzheimer's Disease or other Dementia Training Program.

Management was most accommodating,

Hardest part of the job was saying good bye to the clients as they become your family.

The most enjoyable part of the job was making that connection with the client and developing a level of trust and security, One of my most difficult clients would tell me to leave after working half an hour., and she would tell me " you can go now" I managed to develop a level of trust after several shifts and in the end I believe that she didn't want me to leave.
Pros
Excellent working relationships with the clients and staff
Cons
Not long enough shifts.
Different type of experience
office / staff cooridnator (Former Employee) –  Etobiocoke/ MississaugaJune 27, 2016
Management is good as long as it is their way. They claim to listen, to understand, to coach but they do not. Too busy making their false selves look good. Office environment was not positive, key players would insult other co workers behind their backs. Act like children do not know what real professional is. When management does reward it comes with a condition. Also management promises to reward for projects but then it does not happen. I would not recommend this company for working or for providing service to seniors.
Care givers some are great but most are not can not expect much for the lack of pay that is given.
Also learned that any new office employees that started after me were making more money. Please note that this company for a staff of maybe 12 people averages a high turnover of approx. 2 employees per month. Speaks volumes as to the work environment.
Pros
Maybe a good place to start
Cons
pay; managment; lack of professionalism; favortism
staff are nice
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 26, 2016
short hours 2 hrs in the morning and 2 hrs in the afternoon
no hours v ery challenging job and the rate was depend on task you provide with the client
Pros
free lunches, paid trng
Cons
short hours
Not enough hours
Home Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONApril 14, 2016
The pay wasn't enough because the hours weren't there you work 2 hours maybe 4 but you drive far off its hard to get a 8hour shift. It's very slow to get clients you waste a lot of gas. If you don't have a car this job is not a good fit. The clients are nice but expect a lot from you because they are paying the company 20.00 an hour roughly and you get 11.25 you can't get more then that. The hours are definitely less then 20 hours a week you can't really live off this job if you have a family or have rent to pay.
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Driving around all day, short hours, minimum wage, a lot of cleaning
Person Centred Care
PSW (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONApril 7, 2016
I Like that they ensure you focus on your senior client. It's not going from one house to another house and only doing a bath at each home. You get to know your senior client and spend quality time with them. They also trained us on how to hlp people with dementia.
Pros
The office staff treat us genuinely. They show that they care about us.
Cons
Low Pay
Good Management
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 13, 2016
The work is enjoyable and challenging depending on the client condition. The management is accommodating and organized. The management knows how to value their staff.
Great place to work due to the respect that is given not only to the clients, but also to the employees.
Personal Support Worker/PSW (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONMarch 8, 2016
On a typical day of work it allows me the option to work at my hours of availability. The clients are wonderful and fulfilling. Management respects my professional opinion and my training. Co-workers are always friendly and respectful of the clients and each other. The hardest part of my job is knowing that I will have to find other employment due to financial needs. The most enjoyable part of my job is the interactions I have with my clients.
Pros
Great management that respects your opinion and experience.
Cons
Salary
bad management. ..dishonest owners
Scheduling Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONMarch 8, 2016
Owners are very rude to both clients and caregivers. Owners talk rudely about clients. Paycheques are never correct. Hourly wages for caregivers aren't inline with responsibilities. Owners blame all mistakes on everyone else. Owner never remembers clients names.
Pros
caregivers are fabulous
Cons
owner is impossible to get along with
A great care giving company
Caregiver/PSW (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONNovember 9, 2015
I worked for Home Instead Senior Care for about a year and I loved how the shifts were very flexible, the schedulers tried their best to accommodate my shifts even though I had another job and was in school full-time. I thought it was also very organized with the scheduling and how you can access everything online.

It is a great job since you build a trusting relationships with your clients and sometimes they consider you as family. The only cons would be not getting paid to do personal care.
Pros
try to give you a client assignment near your residence. Lovely clients to work for.
Cons
short hours, minimum wage pay
Great place to work,
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 2, 2015
Overall it was a wonderful place to work, I learned a lot, I was in clients homes in hospitals and long term facilities, They offered training to all staff. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with my clients to help improve their day to day life, and learning from nursing staff.
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
wages
a very supportive management.
Part Time Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 30, 2015
They have a very supportive staff and management, the working environment is conducive for learning and professional growth since I worked here I have gained a lot of experience in dealing with our seniors and how to better be of help to their needs.
Looking after elderly
caregiver (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONOctober 26, 2015
I enjoy working with the public.Helping the elderly threw part of thier day.As caregiver I was also a companion.Its sometimes hard to watch people such as the elderly struggle with day to day life.
Pros
The feeling like you were helping out
Cons
only 3 hr shifts
Productive workplace
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONOctober 19, 2015
I absolutely enjoyed working for Home Instead. Amazing staff and clients. I wouldn't say there's a "typical" day at work because every client is different, meaning everyday is different. I worked with mostly elderly clientèle, it was about helping them with ADLS ( activity's of daily living) and that can range from getting them dressed to feeding them, or even keeping them company while there family's step out for the day. The hardest part of the job was keeping the families satisfied and gaining their trust,it can be hard to leave a loved one with someone you barley know. I had a good experience with management just because I think they could rely on me and I was flexible with any shift that came up even if it was last minute.
Pros
working with clients
Cons
not enough shifts
Long hours/ poor pay/sent to differnet locations
Companion//PSW duties//not a PSW though (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONOctober 18, 2015
Companionship//had you do psw work skills
and paid you minimum wage. They had you drive from one end of oakville to mississauga or burlington
wasteing your gas.
Only enjoyed the companionship of seniors
Pros
FRIENDSHIP
Cons
WASTED GAS //HALF PAY
Tense Workplace, no atmosphere ,
Cargiver (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BCSeptember 21, 2015
This Company doesn't pay there caregivers what they deserve.they have 1 1/2 shifts, when there suppose to get paid a min of 4 hours..

I would NEVER recommend this company to anyone...

if your looking for someone to care for your loved one,, call around cause this company rips ppl off.
Pros
Cargiver/Clients
Cons
Pay is awful
Were playing cards, scrabble, read the story books, cooking of different of food ,sometime in the garden plying badminton and more
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 16, 2015
A typical day at work is..Supervise and care ,Give Medication, massage, Exercise, Meal Preparation, Housekeeping, laundry reading story books. I learned a lot of different people and different personality different style, Management is to prepare all that we need before you start the next day. My co-workers we're helping each for the best result of our work. the hardest part of the job is when the old lady past away...the most enjoyable part of the job when the old lady tech us how to bake of different cakes ,cookies,pie,pudding and if we mistake the measurement and she's non-stop laughing to us.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Long Hours
A warm productive environment focusing on care and core values
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 16, 2015
Home Instead Senior Care, offers a balanced outlook to senior Care. Ensures that Caregivers are given skills, outlooks and core values that allows the Caregivers to be confident in their care of their clients, provide courses of training that further instills skills and consistent care of clients ensuring knowledge base is there. The staff is welcoming.. very much open door policy. I have very much and still do enjoy my work with Home Instead Senior Care.

I think a typical day is making sure that my client is happy and enjoys her day. My co-workers are enthusiatic about their clients, show an amazing capacity for compassion and care. The hardest part of the job is when the assignments are ending as it is hard to leave a client you have bonded with. The most enjoyable part is seeing the smile on their faces when I enter their home..their laughter as I have not even spoken a word and they are anticipating a wonderful day.
Pros
Uplifting core values and appreciation for our work as caregivers
Cons
I truly dont see any... It is a productive, and growth oriented environment
Caring for needs of seniors in their homes or institution
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONSeptember 11, 2015
Spending time with seniors in their homes or institutions - reading, playing games, doing puzzles, going for walks, chatting.

Light housekeeping & cooking.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Not enough moral support from supervisors.
Interesting place to work for- would not recommend
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaAugust 18, 2015
Alot of office staff had quite or moved on to different things so there was no consistency. No organization, one person would tell you one thing and the other the next another. They would phone at any time of the day if they needed you to do a fill in shift. On a couple of occasions they would lie to your face just to try and get a shift filled. They say they keep you within 30 mins of where you live (driving time), Multiple times they wanted me to do shifts in the N.W/N.E when I live in the S.W. Vacation pay is included in your hourly wage, which was not known at the time of hire. Vast lack of hours (usually only 3 hr shifts) 6 hours a week was the norm for a month. Needed 30 hours, Only ever reached 15 hr at any given time. Schedule was different every week.They only pay for gas money (0.50 KM) when you are driving with a client or doing errands for them, which made it really hard when you had to drive half way across Calgary for an hour when you did buddy shifts. The overall idea is a good one, but the way they run this business is terrible. Multiple people quite on a regular basis.
Pros
the clients you worked for, got to know them on a personal level.
productive and fun
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONApril 5, 2015
Home Instead is a great company trying to help senior's stay at home. Staff are fun and friendly. Good balance between work and everyday life.
Pros
staff are amazing
Cons
low pay

2.7