Home Instead Senior Care

Home Instead Senior Care Employee Reviews

This company sucks
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 January 2017
I worked with this company for a year. My mom was very ill and I had a shift in the evening. I called them in the morning that my mom was sick and I couldn't make it. They called me to their office the next morning and they fired me.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Bad salary, unconsiderate
Great place to work due to the respect that is given not only to the clients, but also to the employees.
Personal Support Worker/PSW (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON8 March 2016
On a typical day of work it allows me the option to work at my hours of availability. The clients are wonderful and fulfilling. Management respects my professional opinion and my training. Co-workers are always friendly and respectful of the clients and each other. The hardest part of my job is knowing that I will have to find other employment due to financial needs. The most enjoyable part of my job is the interactions I have with my clients.
Pros
Great management that respects your opinion and experience.
Cons
Salary
Learning, Compassionate, Caring, and Supportive
Senior Caregiver/Companionship (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 January 2017
I was very fortunate to have been a part of "Home Instead Senior Care" team. I grew within the company and learned much about what it meant to Lead with your Heart, Compassion and Care of the Elderly, Ensure their safety at all times. Their support and quality of Leadership made it possible for me to provide the very best possible care. Their understanding and compassion with advice, support and continuing growth of my abilities to provide consistent care, is a result of their confidence in my ethic, and care of clients patients entrusted to me. The most enjoyable part was the interraction with staff, the team members of Home Instead Senior Care" where we gathered quarterly for meetings where we were honoured for our work, encouraged for excellence, and continually supported in our efforts to learn about providing care, maintaining a consistent quality of care to those in our care.
Pros
Consistent Care, Support, And Communication with Instruction
Cons
There were none
patient,responsible & happy
Health Care Aide/ caregiver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 December 2016
always start a day with a smile

i learned to lengthen my patience and widen my understanding for the client

management is great and supportive

co-workers are very cooperative and responsible

the hardest part of the job is when a client has a bad day & we have to do everything to calm them down

the most enjoyable part is when a client is having fun & happy with our services
Poor Wages. No Marketing, so few clients
Recruitment and Retention Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 February 2017
Management need to put Marketing as a priority before they lose any more good Care Givers. Business is slow. Management is stressed. Atmosphere in the office is tense because of it.
Pros
Lovely work Collages.
Cons
Stressed out new Management. Tense working atmosphere. Poor wages.
Work for someone else
Home Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 February 2017
The administration turn over is rediculous! The owners are bullies and I highly don't recommend working for this company! Being a companion to the seniors definitely has its rewards but I would suggest working for a different company to achieve this!
Pros
Working with seniors
Cons
The owners are bullies and go through staff like crazy
five star
Senior Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 July 2016
This is a fabulous company to work with. Then training was excellent and we had monthly meetings to ensure client care was at it's highest level.

A typical day would be to pick up a client and bring that person to an appointment. Help with making lunch, dinner light house work, and remind client to take medication.

A course was given on Alzheimer's Disease or other Dementia Training Program.

Management was most accommodating,

Hardest part of the job was saying good bye to the clients as they become your family.

The most enjoyable part of the job was making that connection with the client and developing a level of trust and security, One of my most difficult clients would tell me to leave after working half an hour., and she would tell me " you can go now" I managed to develop a level of trust after several shifts and in the end I believe that she didn't want me to leave.
Pros
Excellent working relationships with the clients and staff
Cons
Not long enough shifts.
Job is better suites for a single person
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON15 October 2016
I loved my job however I was being over worked . I would work 40, hours straight then be scheduled for a 6 am shift. Great money but you need to be able to work long hours .
Lots of opportunity to work short hours
Home Support Worker (HSW) (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS29 September 2016
- arrive at client's home and report arrival to office
- light housekeeping, laundry
- prepare meals
- assist with clients daily tasks, such as dressing, hygiene

The hardest part of the job is to talk and sometimes watch the client's family members in distress, not knowing what to do for their family member who is our client.

The enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you have helped out a family, by attending to their family member who needs assistance.
Pros
Flexible work schedules
Cons
Getting attached to clients
Highly unprofessional
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON9 February 2017
Belittling and swearing towards employees from employer
Would not compensate when you were required to work out of town
Overloaded workers with unrealistic demands
Staff was fearful
Work is not done to Ministry standards
Different type of experience
office / staff cooridnator (Former Employee) –  Etobiocoke/ Mississauga27 June 2016
Management is good as long as it is their way. They claim to listen, to understand, to coach but they do not. Too busy making their false selves look good. Office environment was not positive, key players would insult other co workers behind their backs. Act like children do not know what real professional is. When management does reward it comes with a condition. Also management promises to reward for projects but then it does not happen. I would not recommend this company for working or for providing service to seniors.
Care givers some are great but most are not can not expect much for the lack of pay that is given.
Also learned that any new office employees that started after me were making more money. Please note that this company for a staff of maybe 12 people averages a high turnover of approx. 2 employees per month. Speaks volumes as to the work environment.
Pros
Maybe a good place to start
Cons
pay; managment; lack of professionalism; favortism
the most enjoyable part of the day
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2017
Very enjoyable workplace to get remarkable experience. My clients were very appreciative for everything you do for them and the employers are grateful
Very accomodating
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON25 December 2016
While I worked for this company I was in college for my RPN. I met quite a few other employee doing the same. The schedule was open and I could pick up shifts when I was available. The staff was very supportive.
Pros
Very supportive
Cons
Very low pay
Productive and Enlightening
Community Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON27 December 2016
Working with seniors draws you into the mortality of being. The clients are mostly amiable, and the company offers flexibility in schedule.
Not enough hours
Home Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON14 April 2016
The pay wasn't enough because the hours weren't there you work 2 hours maybe 4 but you drive far off its hard to get a 8hour shift. It's very slow to get clients you waste a lot of gas. If you don't have a car this job is not a good fit. The clients are nice but expect a lot from you because they are paying the company 20.00 an hour roughly and you get 11.25 you can't get more then that. The hours are definitely less then 20 hours a week you can't really live off this job if you have a family or have rent to pay.
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Driving around all day, short hours, minimum wage, a lot of cleaning
staff are nice
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 May 2016
short hours 2 hrs in the morning and 2 hrs in the afternoon
no hours v ery challenging job and the rate was depend on task you provide with the client
Pros
free lunches, paid trng
Cons
short hours
Were playing cards, scrabble, read the story books, cooking of different of food ,sometime in the garden plying badminton and more
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 September 2015
A typical day at work is..Supervise and care ,Give Medication, massage, Exercise, Meal Preparation, Housekeeping, laundry reading story books. I learned a lot of different people and different personality different style, Management is to prepare all that we need before you start the next day. My co-workers we're helping each for the best result of our work. the hardest part of the job is when the old lady past away...the most enjoyable part of the job when the old lady tech us how to bake of different cakes ,cookies,pie,pudding and if we mistake the measurement and she's non-stop laughing to us.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Long Hours
Senior Provider
Senior Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 November 2014
I really enjoyed working with the seniors. I have always had respect for seniors and have raised my children to be the same when dealing with senior citizens, it is my belief that seniors deserve to be respected.
Productive workplace
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON19 October 2015
I absolutely enjoyed working for Home Instead. Amazing staff and clients. I wouldn't say there's a "typical" day at work because every client is different, meaning everyday is different. I worked with mostly elderly clientèle, it was about helping them with ADLS ( activity's of daily living) and that can range from getting them dressed to feeding them, or even keeping them company while there family's step out for the day. The hardest part of the job was keeping the families satisfied and gaining their trust,it can be hard to leave a loved one with someone you barley know. I had a good experience with management just because I think they could rely on me and I was flexible with any shift that came up even if it was last minute.
Pros
working with clients
Cons
not enough shifts
Company is sincere but mislead
caregiver (Former Employee) –  Niagara12 January 2015
I believe the company is sincere in it's desire to offer quality care but they deny the necessity of a PSW certificate. Even though there is a non-medical service offered that doesn't account for the need for good support work training. There were videos that were supposed to train you to deal with Alzheimer/dementia care but it was very basic and there was no practical training for lifts,backcare etc . Essentially getting you to do PSW work without the pay.
Also pay veried. You got paid one level for part of the shift and another level if the care for those hrs was not as demanding. Pay was far below industry level.
Pros
Very friendly management
Cons
Pay/ job security, hours sporadic

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Instead Senior Care. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8