Home Instead Senior Care

Home Instead Senior Care Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
An extremely demanding work environment both personally and professionally.
Administrative Assistant - Scheduling (Former Employee), Halifax, NSMarch 20, 2014
Pros: work to support some of your communities most vulnerable people
Cons: total lack of work-life balance
This organization is a 24-hour environment. While this level of commitment from staff ensures top-tier attention and maximized individual efforts are directed towards outstanding client care, this expectation of round-the-clock dedication without clear dictates of availability or unavailability is not for the faint of heart.
Self-sufficient work life which allows for close bonds to be established with clients
Caregiver (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 18, 2013
Pros: develop close bonds to clients.
Cons: do not get paid by the hour for a 24hr shift or for overnight shifts (fixed rate).
One-on-one compassionate care to an older adult living at home.
Working with individuals who have dementia provides the opportunity for the caregiver to develop strong interpersonal skills such as empathy, patience, creativity in patient care, validation of patient's feelings, and communication with family members.
A caregiver's journal is present in – more... every client's home which is required for the caregiver to document the client's health status, and any pertinent information.
Depending on the client's health needs, there may be more than one caregiver working with a client, in which case communication between co-workers is needed. This is done through the caregiver's journal, when caregiver's meet at the beginning/end of their shift, or through the agency's office. – less
Ok place, lack of organization and communication
Home Helper (Former Employee), Woodstock, ONNovember 12, 2013
Cons: not enough hours at times
In home care communication is required. When you call and need to explain, you should be able to talk to one person and get it sorted out not go through 3 people in the office. The teamwork with someone with 24hr care was amazing. Most are not PSW's like I because it's non medical it's not important to have. Being able to help my client transition back – more... into being home from hospital, getting to know them on a more personal level. – less
Happy and fun to work
Home Instead Senior Care (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 29, 2013
Pros: chatting with thwm
Cons: n/a
The most enjoyable part of the my job is when i saw my client with there big smile that is my priceless...
A typical Day as a Nurse
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee), torontoMarch 11, 2013
Pros: long hours therefore you make more money, and i get to utilize all my skills
Cons: when the hours get cut
I would normally wake up at 6 am and make my way to work. Once I get there i would first do my round of the floor and make sure all the resident are okay and alive. I would also check the charts to see if there is any information, or change in the patient's status or if there was an incident. Then I will begin to prepare the morning medications. While – more... the patient's are having breakfast or making there way down to breakfast I will start administering the medications to about 25-30 residents. After the medications have been administered i will begin to document and start preparing the afternoon medications and continue with assessments and documentations. – less
Good Manangement and very nice employers.
Caregiver (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 11, 2013
Pros: free trips
Cons: regular time
Its a very nice and good experience for me to work and working at my current company.The management is also very nice and very kind and also my co - workers. Though the hardest past is when you care for one client for a long time and he/she lost ( passed away) is so sad and you have to start all over again to a new and different clients again. The most – more... enjoyable part of the job is when you go and accompany you clients to different places all over Winnipeg from the mall to museums,etc. – less
Good job if you are flexible with time
Caregiver (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 16, 2012
Pros: fun things with seniors
Cons: hours vary, some days you work 12 hours, other days, only 3
I liked this job, but I found that I seemed to always be on call which I wasn't aware of. I would get calls at 7 asking me to be at work by 8. You can say no to jobs, but if you say no too many times they stop calling you. Also, I was having to drive over an hour to some of my shifts that were only 3 hours long so I felt that I was spending more on – more... gas than I was getting paid. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the seniors I worked with and doing things with them. – less
Fun workplace
Caregiver (Current Employee), Mississauga,Ontario CanadaOctober 7, 2011
Cons: long hours work
My views about the company that I have worked with is that they treat as a family.The owners are very nice, understanding and they know how to handle their employees.
I love working with the different clients that I had over the past 6 years
Caregiver (Current Employee), Fredericksburg, VASeptember 13, 2014
Pros: meeting new people and know that i'm able to help them stay at home
Cons: clients passing away
When I arrive at my clients house
start the coffee pot
get my clients medication along with a glass of juice, wake my client so she can take her medication
get all my supplies that I need to give my client a shower, (towels, wash clothes, clothing, etc.)
dust & sweep
give my client a shower after she gets out of bed
do laundry, make the bed, change – more... the sheets if it is needed
talk with client, watch TV, sit outside

the hard's part of the job is when my clients pass away

the best part of my job is being able to help the different clients I've had over the years – less
Plenty of office work.
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Meridian, IDSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: free lunches.
This is where I put in 122 hours of a 180 hour externship for college I answered the phone when the office manager was either gone on an errand or when she was in a meeting. I also filed papers on their clients and I entered data in the computer.
Nice place to work,
Caregiver (Former Employee), Sioux City, IASeptember 5, 2014
It is an easy job, very slow paced. You have a lot of down time, but time goes fast when you do get busy. You find enjoyment with working with the client, hearing stories about their life and making a bond with that person.
Enjoyable and relaxing job
Home Care Assistant (Former Employee), Campbell, CASeptember 5, 2014
Perfect job for someone attending school. Job hours where flexible and I was able to study on the clock.

Management was great, staff at assisted living facilities was great and my clients where amazing.
Overall a caring company
Caregiver (Current Employee), Zelienople, PASeptember 4, 2014
Pros: flexible schedules, paid quarterly meetings, wonderful staffing ladies
Cons: not enough incentives to encourage hard work
Home Instead Senior Care cares very much about giving their clients and family the care that is greatly needed. They do their best to find caregivers that match the interests of the clients and their needs. As a caregiver for the company they work well with their staff to provide the schedules the caregivers need. Advancement in the company seems hard – more... to come by though. I have worked there for more than three years and am always being told about the good reports from my clients, as well as being awarded with the "Angel Award" for being an outstanding caregiver, yet I have received a only 10 cent raise after all that time and hard work. The work load has changed slightly over time, I have been given more needy clients, and have been sent in to homes for introductions to the company, yet have not been truly rewarded for my hard work and achievements. The staff at Home Instead Senior Care is very nice and easy to get along with however, and they do their best to work with your needs as a caregiver. – less
Inconsistent clients to care for
Caregiver and Companion (Current Employee), Fredercik, MarylandSeptember 4, 2014
Management/office staff does not find replacement clients for its caregivers quickly enough. Too few clients it seems to provide any kind of income.
Never recommend this to anyone
Caregiver (Current Employee), Louisville, KYAugust 27, 2014
Pros: hours
Cons: scheduling, too many calls, underpaid
Going in to this job I was excited as I have been working on becoming a nurse. Unfortunately instead of nursing this is an elderly babysitting job. On my days off the office would still call me relintlessly asking to fill shifts. Severely underpaid. The clients I had were in a nursing home and their own home. Both had disadvantages. I'm currently looking – more... for a new job with better pay and better scheduling. – less
Very Caring People
Per Diem Caregiver (Current Employee), South Burlington, VTAugust 25, 2014
Good job, people are mostly very caring- owner really cares about her staff- all of them from the office workers to the caregivers. Wish every boss I had was like her.
Excellent work for caring persons.
Caregiver (Current Employee), Long Beach, CAAugust 24, 2014
Pros: connecting with your client, seeing their personality and health change for the better
Cons: accidents/illnesses, no advanced warning when you will be out of a job until you are placed with another client.
Home Instead places you with a client with similar likes/personality and allows you or the client to be "exchanged" and a new caregiver/client to be placed if it is not a "good match". If there is no connection and trust between the two of you it is best to get someone who is a "better fit" for the client and his/her needs.

Home Instead has great training – more... classes on a quarterly basis and brings in experts in the field of the training course. This is also where we, as caregivers, are able to meet each other and exchange ideas and experiences.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the smiles on the clients faces when you are able to make their lives easier and more joyful. The families are so grateful that their loved ones are being taken care of and are in better spirits and better health than before caregiver was placed.

Needless to say, the hardest part is when they pass away. – less
Great opportunity to help senior citizens.
Caregiver (Former Employee), Aurora, OHAugust 23, 2014
Pros: opportunity to learn and work with the clients.
Cons: not enough hours and traveling to each client not getting paid for and the gas expense, or client not at the home
I really enjoyed working with the clients, providing for their needs. They were beautiful people and really appreciated your work. The hardest part of the job was the ability to get more hours was difficult for me. I was wanting to meet personal and not medical situations.
Unproductive
Professional Caregiver (Former Employee), Lexington, NCAugust 22, 2014
A typical day working for Home Instead consist of working in-house with a married couple who both had Alzheimer's. Providing personal care and preparing nutritional meals along with administering medications. I learned that having compassion, patience, good communication skills and consistence is very important when working with clients that have Alzheimer's. – more... Management didn't have genuine concern for the well being of their clients and would place unqualified employees within homes without proper introduction or training for those individuals that request their services. There were some compassionate co-workers and some who had no compassion for providing quality care to those whom we service at all. The hardest part of the job was overall inconsistency and lack of communication from management to staff. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help the clients and give their family comfort in knowing that their love ones received quality care from me. – less
Productive and interactive work environment
CAREGIVER (Current Employee), Columbia, SCAugust 20, 2014
Pros: caring for senior population
Cons: no benefits
Very pleasant working environment as you provide care for our senior population. Communication is important to maintain the level of care required for each client. The company does not offer benefits, opportunity for career growth, and competitive wages.

1 2 3 4 5

About Home Instead Senior Care

Home Instead Senior Care provides non-medical services for seniors. America's trusted source for senior care.

Home Instead Senior Care Photos