HOME Hardware Employee Reviews

Working here does not meet my expectation for a long-term employment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC18 September 2017
No formal training program provided, and expect you to know everything in the store without asking themselves if they have provided such training.

I thought about the owner/s as nice people to work with. The only thing is that, they should nurture people and believe that - with proper training - it should be a win-win situation for them down the road and workers will work effectively and productively knowing that the management is behind them every step of the way.
Home hardware review
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ON12 September 2017
Home hardware was a great job as a student, the employee discount was very good. The employees were very friendly and open to new employees. Home hardware also greatly respects their regular customers as the customers do them.
Pros
Great management, friendly people
interesting place to work
Floor Sales (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB11 September 2017
helped customers solve their problems with plumbing and electrical situations
handled plumbing, electrical, general hardware, stocking of shelves,cleaning of displays and overall store cleanliness
People were nice
Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Newcastle, ON9 September 2017
Wasn't very busy and I like to be busy. I felt like I could be doing more productive work with my time elsewhere. The boss was great and most of the others
Fun Workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Humboldt, SK6 September 2017
My co-workers were really fantastic and were always willing to lend a helping hand. Management was usually really good about working around my schedule.
Pros
Donuts with Coffee
Cons
Poor Communication
Good workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Cannington, ON4 September 2017
Fun spot to work, didnt really challenge me enough. days were very easy. had great coworkers. Did learn some things about how business works. miss working there
Pros
Local
Productive and Inclusive Workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON31 August 2017
My shifts were typically 5 hours, with the exception of a couple 9 hour shifts on weekends.

The part I enjoyed most about the job was how easy it was to get along with, and wok with, others. I really benefit from the experience and skills I was taught through learning experiences.
Fun and Accomplishing
Lumber Yard Associate (Current Employee) –  Port Elgin, ON30 August 2017
Working in the lumber yard has provided me with exposure to the world of contracting. It has given me the skills to organize and complete tasks efficiently and on time.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
No Cons
Great Family Business
Website Maintenance and Product Promotion (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON28 August 2017
Enjoyable, work environment. The owners help make you feel like one of the family. They were open-minded and willing to listen to new ideas to improve sales.
Pros
Enjoyable work environment.
Mixed
Customer Service Representative and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Emerald Park, SK27 August 2017
I really enjoyed working at Home Hardware. The people and atmosphere were fantastic. The opportunities to learn and grow were great.

However, I was suddenly laid off due to dropping sales and a resulting cutback on salary costs. This was a mere six weeks after my hiring (into a permanent full time position). This to me demonstrated poor planning and unreliability from management.
Pros
People
Cons
Sudden lay off

Want to know more about HOME Hardware?

Ask a question
Customer service
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB22 August 2017
The management was a joke. A lot of pet peeve to deal with and no advancement opportunity. If you weren't one of the most liked you were not treated the best.
Negative work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON17 August 2017
Specifically speaking about the Home Hardware located in Ottawa east at the Elmvale Mall. Condescending employees & ZERO training given by management. Expected to know everything about the business without any training.
started out in the back, received a few promotions in my time there
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Selkirk, MB6 August 2017
Excellent management, impeccable atmosphere, great co-workers and a heck of a lot to learn working here. Very promote from within oriented, flexible, but fair, real sense of family. No joke.
Good place to start
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Corunna, ON1 August 2017
Once again this is a great place to start with people all around you to help gain experience quick. This jobs goes from manual work to customer service inside with the air conditioning.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
Short shifts
Receiver (Former Employee) –  North Battleford, SK1 August 2017
Day would consist of receiving items from truck with forklift and assembling paperwork and checking off orders as well as ensuring papers were properly filed within filing system.

Pay could be better as when you weren't receiving, you were hauling lumber/drywall for near minimum wage.

Was a pleasant experience besides the pay.
Pros
free donuts on paydays
Cons
low pay for workload
Fun nice people
Home hardware (Former Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON28 July 2017
I had fun while working there but i wanted to find something fun to do for my self i like detailing cars cleaning cutting grass so i wanted to get out here and find something i liked better then home hard ware but it was a good place to work at
Pros
Free
Cons
8 hour shifts
Good Experience
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Angus, ON9 July 2017
Always had a good day at work (co-op) Never had poor relations with another staff member. I was always on the go whether it was cleaning, stocking shelves, helping customers, or making displays.
Customer Service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 July 2017
Great place to work part-time, good discount for employee but hourly pay very low. It be difficult to support yourself on the rate of pay that a store pays their employee's no benefits.
Fun Place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  London, ON24 June 2017
Overall a good experience. Management was efficient and was always able to diffuse any situation happening in store. Co-workers were fun to be around, hours were fair.
The work was good..hard on the feet & back sometimes, but I enjoyed it
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, AB21 June 2017
Good place to work...steady income that was pretty good pay. Depending what area you worked, could be lots of lifting, bending, and tough on the feet, could be lots of walking too. pretty good management...I enjoyed the work there, away from my previous career. But I did wonder how I was going to do the job when I got older, considering the area I was working in. I felt pressured to get my amount of "lines/day" in, others seemed to do it easier...that was just a perception.It was a good experience.