HOME Hardware Employee Reviews in Canada

Terrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wabamun, ABMay 25, 2016
a day at work would start out with my lazy self righteous boss complaining at me bacause my manager would throw the trash from her office right in the middle of the storage area every night before she left and would leave the lights on as well. the scheduling was very poor and the boss gave me next to no shifts sometimes for over a week. the organization was minimal making trying to stock shelves incredibly difficult. overall it was a terrrible place to work
Pros
there are none
mostly cleaning
laborer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONMay 9, 2016
work at home hardware was easy. the only real challenge was lift 3/4 10 foot long drywall into mini vans. work environment was nice and with off and on customer rushes you had time to keep the yard clean. Co-workers were very nice and helped out when ever needed. scheduling was a little messy when a new employee joined the team but still good.
Pros
outside
Cons
outside in winter
Ok
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 24, 2016
Home Hardware was fun, and very easy. I enjoyed the staff mostly, and the customers were usually very kind. The management was great, there was always scheduled break times, and pay was always correct, never had administrative issues. The staff was treated fairly, which is very important. The managers always helped the staff instead of making them feel 'small' for not knowing something.
Pros
Amazing management
Cons
Difficult to remember all the codes for screws & such
A pleasant work place with good customer relations as well as being part of the team.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Valemount, BCJanuary 26, 2016
Stocking shelves
Helping customers
computer till system
I learned so many new things about hardware, lumber types, as well as paint,flooring and industrial needs.
I found management always willing to teach to allow employees to expand. My co-workers and myself shared duties we worked as a team very well together.
Paint tinting was the most challenging for me but management was patient and very helpful with this.I soon became confident and did the job very well.
The most enjoyable part of this job was my customer relations.
Pros
always learning new things
Cons
Amazing people, good hours, good training, a truly happy place to work.
Full-time Labourer (Former Employee) –  Picton, ONJanuary 15, 2016
I loved my time at Home Hardware they treated me with much respect and gave me amazing skill learning opportunities. I felt I grew as a person working there. I learned more than I expected from housewares to cabinetry and flooring, plumbing and masonry work and general tools, even painting and outdoor works. team skills, organization, salesmanship and how to have fun in a serious way, but still get things done properly and safely while being happy was the daily routine. I met some truly awesome people and I appreciated every day I went to work there.
good place to work always somthing to do
YARD WORKER (Former Employee) –  Keremeos, BCJanuary 10, 2016
help customers pick and load lumber and other products they purchased. clean and maintain outside yard organize and put away revived products unload trucks delivering lumber also loading truck for deliveries
enjoyed working with all co-workers . owner not so much no people skills ,always insulting and degrading his employees. enjoyed working out doors and helping the customers
Fun workplace with friendly co-workers
Cashier / Deliveries (Former Employee) –  Magnetawan, ONDecember 17, 2015
Home hardware was an inviting workplace with plenty of opportunity. I learned how to work a cash register, take inventory, and load and unload trucks. The manager was fair with hours and scheduling. All of my co-workers were friendly and contributed to a safe and pleasurable work environment. The hardest part of the job yet most rewarding was delivering building supplies. I enjoyed meeting new people. Overall a great place to work.
Pros
friendly work environment
Easy work hindered by messy problem solving and terrible social dynamics
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Castlegar, BCNovember 29, 2015
An example of a small store where many tasks may be the responsibility of many employees, e.g. "everyone does a little of everything." Work was initially pleasant but eventually a bad workplace culture and muddled management became too much of a hindrance.
Pros
Excellent customer relations, pleasant to work the register
Cons
Bad management, unbalanced workloads
They call me 'The Paint Lady'
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Leamington, ONMarch 31, 2016
This is a nice place to work. It can be difficult as my job is helping people solve problems, but I enjoy it. The reason I am leaving is I plan to move to London, ON soon.
Pros
Family owned business
Cons
Family owned business
small business with great atmosphere
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hornepayne, ONJune 8, 2016
i worked 8 hour shifts with great management and coworkers. learned i good amount about hardware, plumbing, and electrical work. the job was pretty easy and fun.
Pros
hour lunches
very productive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Innisfil, ONMay 12, 2016
A typical day at home hardware was what i did everyday and that was stocking shelves, promoting product and helping customers. the co workers there were very humble and enjoyable to be around.
excellent work place
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Témiscaming, QCMarch 25, 2016
-work at cash
-teach customers about various products and help them locate desired products
-excellent management and co workers, very friendly and kind
-lots of various products
a typical work day
Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 20, 2015
head office in Toronto sends Database updates.
all databases updated
local warehouse requires current printed inventory list
orders for Canada wide stores processed, orders printed
orders sorted and dispersed to staff.
after all reports printed, databases are securely
backed up.
Pros
huge computer room on top floor of office building
Cons
night shift operated by single operator
Just a job to fill in time not a good place to work at all no support for staff at all.
Counter Sales Customer Service (Former Employee) –  West KelownaJanuary 20, 2016
No support from the management. Very slow to respond to staff inquirers or to help staff with items that should be addressed.
Pros
Cons
no raises as prommised at start date.
Very busy place to work...
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NBJanuary 13, 2016
I work at Home Hardware but at the Postal Outlet as a clerk. A very busy work environment that takes a lot of patience. The customers love our customer service and we are the top customer service in all Moncton and Dieppe.
Pros
Only 1/2 hour lunch
Cons
9.5 hours on saturdays
Great work enviroment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Thessalon, ONMarch 1, 2016
Was never a dull moment working there. I loved my coworkers and got good hours, was sad to have to leave. I worked Saturdays during the school year and full-time during the summer. They were very accommodating.
Decent
Pet Dept. Employee (Former Employee) –  Stettler, ABMay 26, 2016
I worked in a very specific department that they dont have in other Home Hardwares so, I cant really comment on much. The store owners vary from store to store, so thats something.
Great job for while i was in highschool
Yard Laborer (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ONMay 27, 2016
I was happy to work this position during highschool. not a career i would like to be in for the rest of my life but was great for the time i was there.
Productive fun work environment with an amazing team
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, ABFebruary 1, 2016
Loved everything about this job I was so sad to leave it. Fun creative workplace with amazing staff and the job feels more like a family than work
Pros
Cons
No cons
Productive, learning, work environment with great employees.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONDecember 10, 2015
Wonderful work place with supportive co-workers. We work together to provide our customers with the best shopping experience. With a store stocked with many different products, you learn so many new things.
Pros
The hours aren't late
Cons
Few employees