HOME Hardware Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive fun work environment with an amazing team
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Vegreville, ABFebruary 1, 2016
Pros: Everything
Cons: No cons
Loved everything about this job I was so sad to leave it. Fun creative workplace with amazing staff and the job feels more like a family than work
A pleasant work place with good customer relations as well as being part of the team.
Cashier (Former Employee), Valemount, BCJanuary 26, 2016
Pros: always learning new things
Cons: none
Stocking shelves
Helping customers
computer till system
I learned so many new things about hardware, lumber types, as well as paint,flooring and industrial needs.
I found management always willing to teach to allow employees to expand. My co-workers and myself shared duties we worked as a team very well together.
Paint tinting was the most challenging for me but management was patient and very helpful with this.I soon became confident and did the job very well.
The most enjoyable part of this job was my customer relations.
Just a job to fill in time not a good place to work at all no support for staff at all.
Counter Sales Customer Service (Former Employee), West KelownaJanuary 20, 2016
Pros: none
Cons: no raises as prommised at start date.
No support from the management. Very slow to respond to staff inquirers or to help staff with items that should be addressed.
Amazing people, good hours, good training, a truly happy place to work.
Full-time Labourer (Former Employee), Picton, ONJanuary 15, 2016
I loved my time at Home Hardware they treated me with much respect and gave me amazing skill learning opportunities. I felt I grew as a person working there. I learned more than I expected from housewares to cabinetry and flooring, plumbing and masonry work and general tools, even painting and outdoor works. team skills, organization, salesmanship and how to have fun in a serious way, but still get things done properly and safely while being happy was the daily routine. I met some truly awesome people and I appreciated every day I went to work there.
Very busy place to work...
Clerk (Current Employee), Moncton, NBJanuary 13, 2016
Pros: Only 1/2 hour lunch
Cons: 9.5 hours on saturdays
I work at Home Hardware but at the Postal Outlet as a clerk. A very busy work environment that takes a lot of patience. The customers love our customer service and we are the top customer service in all Moncton and Dieppe.
volunteer work
CASHIER (Current Employee), Okotoks, ABJanuary 12, 2016
volunteered with children of all ages, while maintaing a fun atmosphere and presenting myself as mature and dependable
good place to work always somthing to do
YARD WORKER (Former Employee), Keremeos, BCJanuary 10, 2016
help customers pick and load lumber and other products they purchased. clean and maintain outside yard organize and put away revived products unload trucks delivering lumber also loading truck for deliveries
enjoyed working with all co-workers . owner not so much no people skills ,always insulting and degrading his employees. enjoyed working out doors and helping the customers
Very good place to work
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee), Selkirk, MBDecember 30, 2015
Pros: Occasional free meals
Cons: None
Stay busy helping customers find solutions to plumbing and HVAC projects they are doing and ensuring products are located and faced properly.
Fun workplace with friendly co-workers
Cashier / Deliveries (Former Employee), Magnetawan, ONDecember 17, 2015
Pros: friendly work environment
Home hardware was an inviting workplace with plenty of opportunity. I learned how to work a cash register, take inventory, and load and unload trucks. The manager was fair with hours and scheduling. All of my co-workers were friendly and contributed to a safe and pleasurable work environment. The hardest part of the job yet most rewarding was delivering building supplies. I enjoyed meeting new people. Overall a great place to work.
Productive, learning, work environment with great employees.
Customer Service (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONDecember 10, 2015
Pros: The hours aren't late
Cons: Few employees
Wonderful work place with supportive co-workers. We work together to provide our customers with the best shopping experience. With a store stocked with many different products, you learn so many new things.
Easy work hindered by messy problem solving and terrible social dynamics
Cashier (Former Employee), Castlegar, BCNovember 29, 2015
Pros: Excellent customer relations, pleasant to work the register
Cons: Bad management, unbalanced workloads
An example of a small store where many tasks may be the responsibility of many employees, e.g. "everyone does a little of everything." Work was initially pleasant but eventually a bad workplace culture and muddled management became too much of a hindrance.
Great company with many great employees
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 23, 2015
A great place to gain to knowledge of various useful products.
Wonderful support from employees with plenty of options to grow.
a typical work day
Computer Operator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 20, 2015
Pros: huge computer room on top floor of office building
Cons: night shift operated by single operator
head office in Toronto sends Database updates.
all databases updated
local warehouse requires current printed inventory list
orders for Canada wide stores processed, orders printed
orders sorted and dispersed to staff.
after all reports printed, databases are securely
backed up.
Hard Work ,
Head Cashier (Former Employee), London, ONNovember 18, 2015
Cashier

Made sure cusotmers were satisifed with there visit each time.

Made relationships with customers , with my personable attitude and out going ways.

Lifted heavy products
Labourer (Former Employee), Bruce Mines, ONNovember 9, 2015
The management was terrible, but the work day was pretty good with other employee's. The challenging part of the job was trying to hear people on the radio, the fun part of the day was interacting with customers and helping people out.
Energetic positive work field
yard/warehouse laborer (Former Employee), Clarenville, NLNovember 2, 2015
Pros: Driving 1/2 Ton Pick ups
Cons: Work Scedule
A fun-filled energetic environment, where learning and moving forward is an everyday task. A good opportunity for people to bring out there communication skills and exceed in the everyday lifestyle.
Good company
Cashier (Former Employee), Gibsons, BCOctober 2, 2015
Good company to work for. Home Hardware in Gibsons BC has awesome management and staff. and good employee discounts

The staff works wwell together and everyone pitches in
good people, not enough work
General Laborer (Former Employee), Peace River, ABAugust 31, 2015
Unorganized supervision yet a lot to do in the warehouse. On the floor it was hard to keep oneself occupied. repetitive tasks and monotone atmosphere. no leeway in ones personal life and not much room for advancement.
Working in a positive environment daily helped to create a great TEAM.
Head Cashier/ Store Manager/Operations Manager (Former Employee), st. AlbertAugust 9, 2015
Pros: Having set up social events in side and outside of the store, getting to know the staff and there families.
Cons: Turn over of staff, not enough support staff in busy season.
Working for an independent owner gave me the chance to think outside the box. It gave me the chance to learn what your staff and customers needed on a daily basis. Creating a positive culture was very important as the reward = long term employees. Staff enjoying there job and coming to work is a profitable solution for any business.

Being a hands on manager gave me the opportunity to learn about each staff member and help them grow with the company. Using people to there strength helps them to achieve there goals. Mentoring and coaching is a daily process to empower your staff is to trust in them as they would you.

Being able to be flexible with staff and getting them to buy into the reasoning of the day to day job requirements is a positive achievement. One that again = long term employment.

The best part of my job is people enjoying what they do, it sets the culture for the store. These people will come to work do there job be happy and show pride and accomplishment.The hardest part of the job would be those that don't want to be there or like there job. This creates a negative culture to those who don't want to be there. And unfortunately it can cause the complete structure to crumble if not handled properly.

In the end you can have many leaders in your business but you must have a cooperative TEAM to succeed.
A very good working environment
Customer Service Attendant (Former Employee), Fenelon Falls, ONJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Lots of Hours
Cons: Big learning curve
I loved my time at Fenelon Falls Home Hardware. I was able to learn a lot of the skill I have today by being put in ground zero at a new (ownership at least) store and getting the store fully stocked and filled with customers. The management was always pushing for the absolute best in me and my co-workers always helped me learn something when I was struggling. The hardest part of the job was the amount of things I needed to learn in a small period of time but that was also the most enjoyable part.