HOME Hardware Employee Reviews

Nice place to work if the boss isn't in a bad mood
Stock Person and yard hand (Former Employee) –  Sundre, AB14 December 2016
8 hour days, pay you less than what your worth it feels some time, I worked inside the store, knew how to be a cashier, I knew where just about everything was in the store, I could help a costumer in a couple minutes if homeward ware had it in stock, I knew how to receive product and how to put it in the computer system, and I knew where just about everything was in the yard and was payed a little bit over minimum wage, but the people that work there are very good people
Pros
Not a thing except free lunch on Saturdays and ram benifits, which are very limited
Cons
They don't care if someone in your family is dying, they expect you to be in a good mood and at work
Productive workplace
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  St. Jacobs, ON5 December 2016
Overall a really good place to work. Warehouse work is slightly repetitive but a great workout physically and the constant order picking makes the shift go by quickly. You learn how to pay attention to detail as the orders need to be picked exactly as they are written down. Co-workers are very friendly and really helpful if you need assistance with anything. The hardest thing about his position would probably be the fact that it is hard to stay awake some nights (this is night shift) if you don't get proper sleep during the day or can't work out a good sleep schedule while off of work.
Pros
Cafeteria food is not expensive
Cons
Night shift is hard to get through sometimes
productive work place with hands on training
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON30 November 2016
Worked in warehouse environment. Worked with heavy materials and stocks, constantly resupplying and refreshing displayed product and warehouse duties. Cleaning, maintenance of working area required. Management was not ideal, but I had an influential team leader in my department. I enjoyed the fast paced work style, and learned a lot from my experienced mentors and was able to develop my working ethical drive. The hardest part of the job was unreliable information regarding shift time management, and there was no room for me to grow as an employee. I learned more about the employment environment and about how to succeed in a hard working company. It is here, that
I developed my skillset.
Pros
New experiences, diverse opportunities and good trainers and mentors
Cons
Unreliable hours, and no room for imporvment
Warehouse Picker (Former Employee) –  St. Jacobs, ON19 October 2016
Good place to work with some really great people. It is a fast paced job with attention to details. Accuracy is very important to keep store shelves stocked and customers happy. You must pack product well to ensure they arrive at the stores undamaged by shipping or handling. Labeling boxes correctly to ensure they are sent to right store location.
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
11 shift when working afternoons for make up on fri. shift
Productive, Efficient, Enjoyable Hours.
Yard Hand (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mountain House, AB24 February 2017
It was a pleasure to work for Home hardware. The level of courtesy and friendship is phenomenal. Each day there is always something knew to learn. It teaches the basic fundamental of hard work and being depended on for the greater good.
Pros
Many different work environments
Cons
Repetetive hours
Generally a clean & fun environment to work in.
Sales in Home Hardware Building Center (Current Employee) –  Winkler, MB11 February 2017
Really considerate organization. This is a family oriented establishment. They care for the employees. Are very willing to help out when there are questions or misunderstandings.
Pros
Full hour lunches
Cons
Weekend work, long hours, no commission.
Great work environment with flexible hours
Sales Associate/Cashier/Stock (Former Employee) –  Peace River, AB28 January 2017
Home Hardware was a great place to work; With flexible hours, decent pay and wonderful staff. If you are interested in carpentry or a related trade its a great place to get an idea of what your getting into.
Pros
good hours, decent pay, and great staff
Fun workplace
Labourer/Cashier/Delivery (Current Employee) –  Blackville, NB12 February 2017
The most enjoyable part of working at Home Hardware is the costumers and getting to interact and help people with what they need. A downfall off working at Home Hardware is I'm currently not working in my work place which is something I'm really looking forward to doing.
Productive fun work place, great atmosphere
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC15 November 2016
Friendly atmosphere
The products sold are fabulous, each department has a nice friendly face you can approach and ask questions. Always a willingness to help.
The customers who come in are nice and super friendly.
I just enjoy every thing about it.
Pros
3 breaks during the day
Cons
not enough staff
low salary with no benefits
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB7 December 2016
same with wok2go, they don't offer benefits with seasonal employers. and if its not busy anymore, they will just tell you to go home or someone will just call you early in the morning that you don't need to go to work anymore and it will be your last working day.
fast paced, fun and energetic coworkers
Cashier and Paint department (Former Employee) –  Blind River, ON20 October 2016
Typical day at work i go in and work at the paint desk and help customers with their paint or i work at the cash. My bosses were impressed how quickly i work.
Pros
fun, energetic group, hardworking, friday BBQ
Cons
always changes in the schedule and forget about workers breaks sometimes
productive place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gravenhurst, ON31 January 2017
I enjoyed being cashier and I enjoyed customer service. the management were very helpful and supportive. I enjoyed the fellow workers and I loved the friendships I made there.
Pros
knew when shift was over
Cons
had to work every single close and all weekends
Good friendly workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newcastle, ON22 August 2016
-a typical day at work would be running cash, helping customers, mixing paint and putting returns away.
- i learned how to mix paint and know more about paint.
-management could of been a lot better in my eyes.
-co-workers were great to work with at times.
-hardest part of the job was multitasking.
-most enjoyable would be helping and interacting with the customers
Pros
mixing paint and building products
Cons
dealing with moody customers
fun and fast paced environment with good people
Stock/labour (Former Employee) –  Fernie, BC14 October 2016
would go to work clock in and then make my way to the warehouse and unpack anything off of the truck that came in. Then would proceed and put everything that needs to stocked into a cart and go around and put things in there correct place.
Pros
breaks
Enjoyable
Sales Clerk, Floor Manager (Current Employee) –  Melville, SK5 August 2016
I answer phones, mixing paint, merchandising, helping customers, etc is my usual day. And well i always learn something new from big to small and i hope i always do.
I get along with my co-workers and management its like a extended family and yes we get annoyed with each other but that how family works. The hardest part of my job now is lifting heavy things funny how you take advantage of yourself till you lose part of it and thats one. And well work would be fun without your customers that make it interesting everyday. Love coming to work and you can have so much fun with them as it is visa versa and is prob a good reason people come back because your helping them being friendly and joking all at the same time.
It's been good
Full time work (Retail / Assembly / Stock) (Current Employee) –  Minden, ON1 September 2016
The pay isn't amazing, there's no benefits offered and really no monetary compensation for drastic increase of responsibility. A typical day would go quite well, helping customers, ordering replacement parts for customers' BBQs, stock replenishment, and helping other departments if they need because seasonal sometimes is a ghost town. It has been a good summer placement that has rolled into the beginning of fall, the management is very pleased with the work ethic I possess and they constantly have been asking me to stay as there is not much staffing available in the small town that I had worked in. The hardest part of the job would have been assembling a gazebo for a full day, and then half a week later having to take it down because it sold instantly. The most enjoyable part would be the really nice hefty discount I received 3 months into working.
good customer service
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Havelock, ON12 November 2016
company was okay to work for. Downfalls were not receiving raises without asking and felt not comparible to performance. never knew schedule too far ahead of time although they would give you time off when asked
Great Job!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Prince Rupert, BC5 October 2016
My overall experience working at Home Hardware in Prince Rupert was great! The management was usually fair when it came to most things and were good at giving requested time off given you gave them proper notice! The store itself was always well kept and clean.
Great people to work for and Great staff
Floor Associate (Current Employee) –  Elora, ON22 December 2016
It is a really good company to work for. And the customers and staff are easy to get along with as well . We sell a lot of great products and there is different items to chose from .
Overall review of Home Hardware
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, AB17 October 2016
I enjoyed working at Home Hardware, but unfortunately, it was not for very long due to term work.
The people there seemed nice. The atmosphere was pleasant.
Pros
Hours were good. Lots of overtime.
Cons
No benefits because of term work.