HOME Hardware Employee Reviews in Canada

Just a job to fill in time not a good place to work at all no support for staff at all.
Counter Sales Customer Service (Former Employee) –  West KelownaJanuary 20, 2016
No support from the management. Very slow to respond to staff inquirers or to help staff with items that should be addressed.
Pros
Cons
no raises as prommised at start date.
A pleasant work place with good customer relations as well as being part of the team.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Valemount, BCJanuary 26, 2016
Stocking shelves
Helping customers
computer till system
I learned so many new things about hardware, lumber types, as well as paint,flooring and industrial needs.
I found management always willing to teach to allow employees to expand. My co-workers and myself shared duties we worked as a team very well together.
Paint tinting was the most challenging for me but management was patient and very helpful with this.I soon became confident and did the job very well.
The most enjoyable part of this job was my customer relations.
Pros
always learning new things
Cons
Easy work hindered by messy problem solving and terrible social dynamics
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Castlegar, BCNovember 29, 2015
An example of a small store where many tasks may be the responsibility of many employees, e.g. "everyone does a little of everything." Work was initially pleasant but eventually a bad workplace culture and muddled management became too much of a hindrance.
Pros
Excellent customer relations, pleasant to work the register
Cons
Bad management, unbalanced workloads
Ok
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 24, 2016
Home Hardware was fun, and very easy. I enjoyed the staff mostly, and the customers were usually very kind. The management was great, there was always scheduled break times, and pay was always correct, never had administrative issues. The staff was treated fairly, which is very important. The managers always helped the staff instead of making them feel 'small' for not knowing something.
Pros
Amazing management
Cons
Difficult to remember all the codes for screws & such
Not a very 'homey' home hardware
a little bit of everything (Former Employee) –  Lively, ONJuly 12, 2016
I was super-excited to start working at a home hardware because I've always liked the idea of working in smaller stores where everyone seemed to enjoy being part of the Home Hardware family.

Signed on with a good job description until it all started falling away...
Things were being changed without my input and when I would speak up, I was pretty much told where the door was...then I realized that some very loyal staff members were also being treated unfairly.
The only family this management cares for, is their own and their favourites.What a shame!
Pros
Some really awesome co-workers and customers
Cons
Micro-managing, disrespectful treatment by management, no breaks, favouritism, deceit, pretense, sarcasm, unprofessionalism, not allowed to interact with other co-workers...
excellent work place
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Témiscaming, QCMarch 25, 2016
-work at cash
-teach customers about various products and help them locate desired products
-excellent management and co workers, very friendly and kind
-lots of various products
Terrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wabamun, ABMay 25, 2016
a day at work would start out with my lazy self righteous boss complaining at me bacause my manager would throw the trash from her office right in the middle of the storage area every night before she left and would leave the lights on as well. the scheduling was very poor and the boss gave me next to no shifts sometimes for over a week. the organization was minimal making trying to stock shelves incredibly difficult. overall it was a terrrible place to work
Pros
there are none
mostly cleaning
laborer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONMay 9, 2016
work at home hardware was easy. the only real challenge was lift 3/4 10 foot long drywall into mini vans. work environment was nice and with off and on customer rushes you had time to keep the yard clean. Co-workers were very nice and helped out when ever needed. scheduling was a little messy when a new employee joined the team but still good.
Pros
outside
Cons
outside in winter
Amazing people, good hours, good training, a truly happy place to work.
Full-time Labourer (Former Employee) –  Picton, ONJanuary 15, 2016
I loved my time at Home Hardware they treated me with much respect and gave me amazing skill learning opportunities. I felt I grew as a person working there. I learned more than I expected from housewares to cabinetry and flooring, plumbing and masonry work and general tools, even painting and outdoor works. team skills, organization, salesmanship and how to have fun in a serious way, but still get things done properly and safely while being happy was the daily routine. I met some truly awesome people and I appreciated every day I went to work there.
nice place to work
Customer service Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, ABJuly 7, 2016
I loved working here. it was a great job I only had a problem with the pay but that was mainly due to the economy. very friendly people there, i will have no problems going back and getting stuff.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
bare minium staff
good working environment
Garden Center Helper (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABJune 28, 2016
i was assigned in the vegetables are, though i don't eat veggies but i love to take care of them by watering them and displaying them. i worked directly with the owner and she was contented with my work.
Cons
no benefits
casual job with excellent learning environment
Cashier and CSR (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 19, 2016
slows days, rush and busy ones, you learn every day something new
about renovation and basic maintenance
Pros
learnig about contrction and daly solve problems
Cons
slow days and bore
small business with great atmosphere
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hornepayne, ONJune 8, 2016
i worked 8 hour shifts with great management and coworkers. learned i good amount about hardware, plumbing, and electrical work. the job was pretty easy and fun.
Pros
hour lunches
very productive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Innisfil, ONMay 12, 2016
A typical day at home hardware was what i did everyday and that was stocking shelves, promoting product and helping customers. the co workers there were very humble and enjoyable to be around.
amazing management
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hinton, ABJuly 4, 2016
I learned how to do special orders, returns and got to know customers by name. the managers were great, also my fellow employees were extremely polite and helpful.
Decent
Pet Dept. Employee (Former Employee) –  Stettler, ABMay 26, 2016
I worked in a very specific department that they dont have in other Home Hardwares so, I cant really comment on much. The store owners vary from store to store, so thats something.
Good starter job for student
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONJune 12, 2016
great workplace to start working as a student the staff is really friendly, you learn a lot about building materials and lots of physical labour.
Great job for while i was in highschool
Yard Laborer (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ONMay 27, 2016
I was happy to work this position during highschool. not a career i would like to be in for the rest of my life but was great for the time i was there.
Busy fast paced work.
Warehouse associate (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BCJune 26, 2013
Fast paced work environment makes working here physically demanding, I personally like this about the company.
The pay is not the greatest and the advancements are not much to look forward to, this is the downfall of the job.
Co-workers are great, very kind respectful people I have grown to like.
Management is understanding and flexible, I like this about the job.
Hardest part of the job is working long hours alone (11 hours alone in a warehouse) the company is very short on staff.
overall I would say I have learned a lot about building supplies, I have increased my customer service skill as well.
I would rate this job a 6 out of 10, only because of the low wage and benefits.
Pros
kind co-workers and management, meet lots of new people.
Cons
low wage and benefits, short staffed.
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Bruce Mines, ONNovember 9, 2015
The management was terrible, but the work day was pretty good with other employee's. The challenging part of the job was trying to hear people on the radio, the fun part of the day was interacting with customers and helping people out.