Home Hardware Employee Reviews

Warehouse
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  St. Jacobs, ON14 February 2018
Get your order to pick. picked orders to be delivered to stores. Set up the skids to go onto the trucks. Sometimes worked as a team...each taking an area to pick
Pros
trainers were good
Cons
the drive to get there
good work for a fresh out of school or student
Yard worker (Former Employee) –  Placentia, NL12 February 2018
not a bad job, pay was not great not very much above minimum wage which is hard to survive off of. work was enjoyable with a variety of jobs available everyday
Fun place, enjoy staff
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB8 February 2018
typical day from 8-5 M-F
Shipping and receiving merchandize.
Enjoy working in seasonal and in paint department
Enjoy making new displays, always has something to do.
Pros
no weekend work
Cons
Low training staff.
Home Culture
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dieppe, NB25 January 2018
Hands on involvement by Dealer/Owner. Opportunities to advance within company. Extensive web based training program available for both Hardware and Building Material products.
productive
DEPARTMENT WORKER (Former Employee) –  Saint-Anne-des-Plaines, QC24 January 2018
great for a first time job learned a lot. If it wasnt for me moving ide probably still be there. Good opportunity to learn about different household products and construction
Get to work with some amazing people.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON20 January 2018
The people you get to work with are amazing and supportive. But management does not pay their employee's enough for the amazing work they do. Overall a good place to work if you are looking for a minimum wage job.
Alright place to work at
Small Engine Repair / Stock Boy (Former Employee) –  Waterdown, ON15 January 2018
An average job, pays minimum wage. Nothing special but everyone makes the same amount that you do so you all feel like you're on the same level. Was an alright place to work at
Pros
Knowledge, discounts
Cons
Poor management
Place has gone downhill under new ownership
N/A (Former Employee) –  Southern Nova Scotia15 January 2018
Until aug -Sept 2016 while under corporate the local home hardware was a great place to work. Moral was high and we all worked towards a common goal. When we achieved our targets we were rewarded with a small bonus. Being from a small community in southern nova scotia where unlike halifax there are not many job opportunities. There are jobs but home hardware was just a cut above the rest. Friendly employees, great service and never a lack of customers supporting a local business.
Fast forward to the changeover.
As the changes were in progress, spirits of the employees were changing. We found that sometimes change was not for the better. Through tighter restrictions and micromanagement several employees have left. Some sighting new job opportunities, others finding out what the future held working in the 2017 home hardware era. And of course those who were flat out terminated.
As customer service became less knowledge-based and some regular clients lefr, the owners decided to shake things up and fill the gaps with friends or hiring someone who they know won't speak their minds because if you were to mumble any discontent, you were met with harsh words ( in front of you and mostly behind your back) from top management.
There are a few other choices for your hardware needs in the area and to be honest, if it was not for the employee discount (which has changed its restrictions under new ownership) i would have taken my business elsewhere. The majority of the overpriced items are available elsewhere.
If you are planning on working for them please be aware that behind
  more... the fake smiles and everything rainbows and unicorns, the only thing the owners are concerned about is how much they can get out of you with minimum in return. Everything is done with their bottom line in mind. Dont expect a raise or bonus. You are just a number to them.  less
Pros
Daytime work
Cons
Pay scale is low
Productive, fun workplace to work at
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON15 January 2018
I love my time working at home hardware, the location I worked at was a smaller location with friendly coworkers. I learned many useful skills that I can continue to use in the future
Pros
Friendly environment, breaks, productive
Cons
Did not get a chance to learn more about vanities and tools
Friendly, helpful staff
Supervisor, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON15 January 2018
I loved working at Home Hardware. Many things to learn and the support of Corporate is wonderful. Management was supportive and helpful. A lot of heavy lifting depending on the department you were in. Gratifying to help people find what they needed and to assist with choices of products.
Pros
Friendy and helpful
Cons
heavy lifting
loved working here
Cashier/Customer Service (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON12 January 2018
Home Hardware was a great entry level job. it was a very fun work environment with ability to explore all different aspects of the job. Management was a pleasure to work for, always there to help when needed.
Productive fun work place
Driver/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC9 January 2018
It was a hard working environment where I was was almost always delivering lumber and building materials and operating the forklifts that the company had. Also had to learn to drive a 3-ton and 5-ton flat deck truck.
Pros
You got 5 min smoke breaks
Cons
Long overtime hours
Loved it!
Department Manager/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON9 January 2018
Was the first time I had ever worked in a family owned company. Loved every minute of my life there. Great environment, learned how a family run business was so much different than the corporate culture.
Owner and manager treated everyone like family. Loved the interaction with customers, especially after knowing them on a first name basis. Was no really hard part of the job. Was very balanced.
Would give anything to work for them again!
A little difficult and occasionally dull but good
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC8 January 2018
The atmosphere is very focused around the customers, cleanliness and presentation of the store, and working hard. My own experiences was around heavy lifting though they do expect you may be able to gain full time and benefits if you work hard enough
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Touch stressful
Not a bad summer job
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB5 January 2018
Working at Home Hardware was a decent job to keep busy over the summer while I was attending High School. The only cons are that there is really no room for job advancement.
Positive Work experience
Sales Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Berwick, NS3 January 2018
Very friendly staff that made my first working experience a good one. Well working there I learned how to deal with the public. Management was very supportive.
good people work for
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, AB1 January 2018
working at home hard ware was fun always out doors dealing with customers was always fun joke around with contractors dealing with specail orders learned how to cut carpet and linol makeing customers happy
Pros
long days
Cons
had to open and close gates on saturdays
productive workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 January 2018
good for learning new products and learning how to help customers in any way that is necessary, great customer service skills and are always willing to help in any way possible.
Fun place with small profits
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pierrefonds, QC23 December 2017
This place was all about serving clients and selling them our products. We needed to know how plumbing, electricity and over all house products were working and how to serve clients. It was also a lot about warehouse work so it was a great mix of both types of work. I learned a lot about how a hardware store works. The hardest part was to contain a lot of clients with not a lot of workers and the most enjoyable part was the team.
Pros
Great team effort
Cons
Missing people
overall great experience
Paint Expert (Former Employee) –  Swan River, MB23 December 2017
Amazing managers who are flexible and understanding. Friendly and supportive staff. overall good experience with room to advance further in the company with initiative

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Hardware. Our community is ready to answer.