Home Depot

Home Depot Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun, fast paste environment
Front end Supervisor (Former Employee), gloucesterOctober 21, 2013
Pros: they make sure your trained before you go on the floor, 30 hrs virtual training and workshops.
Cons: knowledge acquired is limited to department you work in.
It's great when you go to work and know that all the staff are just as customer oriented as you are. I was lucky enough to participate in the Team Depot renovation of a local school, and it was a double bonus because it was the school my kids went to!
One night during a winter storm a customers van broke down in the parking lot 5 minutes before closing, I will always hold the dept. Manager to high regards because as everyone is rushing to leave he took the time to give them a boost with the delivery van. In the end they had to get the van towed and I drove them home. Awesome teamwork!
fun place to work at
Freight team associate/ Customer service (Current Employee), Richmond Hill, ONDecember 4, 2012
Pros: friendly people to work with.
Cons: working nights
a typical day at work is to get everything to get all the products out from the receiving department and have them work and put them in the shelves.organizing the sales floor to create a pleasant and safe shopping environment, and providing customer service as required by customer demand. In addition some Freight Team Associates as designated by the Assistant Store Manager, operate reach trucks and order pickers to bring down merchandise safely from the overhead bays to the sales floor.

the hardest part job is being at night, other than that is not a hard job at all. and i like the job because of i know all the products and i know about everything that happens and i do in the store. my co-workers are very nice people and i like them alot. i can get along with them and joke around and have fun time at work.

we try to provided great customer service and full fill customers needs.
home depot claims to put employees first because "WE" are the key to the companies success. Management could care less about us as employees.
Tool Technician / Mechanic (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 13, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: tons
i am a full time employee and still found it difficult to make ends meat. i requested so schedule changes so i could have another job. i was refused my request and told that if i want another job i will neeed to change my status to part time. i feel like there is no point in them asking our availability because they just defecate all over it anyhow. the people i worked with are great and very friendly. upper management is a joke, and what they dont realize is the sales of the store has nothing to with them, if they were all to take a month long vacation, all operations and sales will remain the same.
Professional, Productive, and Fun
Millwork Sales Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 2, 2015
• Recipient of The Homer Award for recording an extremely accurate individual percentage, of 97.3%, of annual inventory and shrink prevention count for the Millwork Department
• Averaging a successful $59.7 dollars/hour in sales in the last fiscal quarter
• Processing clients credit history applications for The Home Depot Credit Card
• Designing various complex, detailed and unique blueprints of exterior, interior, patio, storm and garage doors, as well as windows and many other interior mouldings on a computer software application
• Creating quotes for various custom millwork related products and efficiently closing the sale
• Establishing installs for unique millwork related projects at a minimum cost of $ 2000 dollars in the last fiscal quarter, with a success rate of 90% in the last month
• Proactively seeking new customer relationships and understanding that customers are the main priority in successful and profitable business relations
Great learning experience
Flooring Associate (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABMay 22, 2015
Pros: Good company to grow with if you have an opportunity to do so.
Cons: Keeping 70% of staff at part time status = no job security
I mostly enjoyed working for The Home Depot, but they can only have a certain percentage of staff at full time status, which left a lot of us part timers often lacking in hours due to over staffing. I thoroughly enjoyed all the knowledge and know-how I acquired over the four years I was employed by them. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping customers and always learning new information. The hardest part of my job was covering multiple departments at once especially when there was other departments I wasn't trained in. I made a lot of good friends at The Home Depot, and working there helped me be more open and less shy when talking to strangers.
This is an Alright Place to Work
Cashier (Current Employee), Woodbridge, ONMarch 15, 2015
Pros: nice coworkers--it's like an extended family
Cons: customers are often rude and irritable, nothing works properly
I like my coworkers and enjoy working with them, but the management needs some serious improvement. Also, nearly everything needs to be updated because hardly any of the equipment we use in the store actually works. Half the time the Point of Sale system doesn't work or it freezes up in the middle of transactions. We don't even have the TAP option on our Point of Sale system. A lot of customers often complain about this. Home Depot is a multi-million dollar corporation. So why is it that we can't afford brand new equipment that ACTUALLY works? Most of the time I have to scan items multiple times before the scanner even recognizes the items. Come on. That's just sad.
Enjoyed customers and fellow employees, but found scheduling annoying
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Okotoks, ABJuly 18, 2013
Pros: close to home, great people to work with.
Cons: shifts constantly changing, although managed to arrange for days of work.
Approaching potential customers and offering assistance, explaining differences in various products. Learned a lot about various appliances and other departments products as well because during quiet times and staffing, you needed to attempt to guide customers to appropriate areas and call managers to help them. Management was always available although rarely on hand in the department. Co-workers were helpful in explaining about product and did not mind my hanging around while they explained product info. Sometimes I found the physical aspects difficult, especially climbing up the tall ladders to look for inventory. Really enjoyed the people interaction.
Friendly environment.
Engineer Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 1, 2015
Pros: Friendly environment, Supportive management, great events.
Cons: Don't have training for the beginners, there are alots of usefull documents on share drive, and share point. but there is no source or library to find them.
I did my internship at The home Depot and I have to say It was a great opportunity for me,The most enjoyable part of the job was the challenges that my team and me were going through to solve the problems since the Rapid Deployment Centre is the first RDC that THD has opened in Canada. I learned a lot since there were a lots of opportunities to find in each area (Inbound, Processing and Outbound) and find the best solution for each opportunity.

Slotting in preparation for Holiday and Spring events was my favorite project. I analyzed the quantities and dimensions of Holiday and Spring articles, then calculated optimal storage locations and pick paths.
A fun job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Scarborough, OntarioJune 3, 2015
It was a fun job where I had constant interaction with people and did a lot of problem-solving with customers as I helped them with organizing their home projects.

My co-workers and I had fun while we worked, we supported each other and learned from each others skills. I developed some friendships along the way.

One of the things I've learned is to sometimes take a step back and to take a look at the big picture, and to not just rush into a project without first knowing the details. Another thing I learned is to not take things personal and realize that sometimes a person may say certain things out of frustration. If I react to that, it only inflames the frustration and is counter-productive to finding solutions.

I had a great relationship with my supervisor and other managers. We had trust and respect for each other for our skills and abilities.
Don't expect to pay your bills with this job
Night freight team associate (Current Employee), Thunder BayFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: some free food
Cons: no hours unpredictable shifts
I'm a night shift associate. I absolutely love my job and would love to keep it. I am working in the slow season now where all part time employees at night are getting one shift a week or in my case less. I keep getting told it will get better but it has been months. All that is offered by home depot is daytime customer service jobs at not much more time than I have. Its a great place to work and when I started I had a reliable 4 days a week but they do not support you as a valued team member when it means they will lose a dime. I have been very disappointed by the company.
Good Job
Project coordinator/sales associate (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: great benefits and lots of free lunchs
Cons: lack of teamwork
I worked and cross trained in many departments and enjoyed
learning them all.

A typical day for me was the dashboard and the installs.
I spent most of the day on the phone and resolving issues.
A very fast paced job and time management could become
an issue at times as the company was always cutting
positions. My biggest challenge was I was pulled in every
direction as I was trained in all aspects of the store. I was
doing a job that required three people to do previous so
frustration and no help became an issue. I believe the
management needs to be more hands on in all aspects
to serve the customers better.

Overall they were a good company to work for and they
do a lot for their employees. They have a great benefit
plan and do a lot for the community.
Productive and Positive Environment
Commercial Account Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 9, 2013
Pros: great benefits, built relationships, attracted many customers
Cons: long hours
Typical day at work:
-Qualified the customers, visiting consultation, I performed a variety of functional drawing designs for Kitchens and bath in quote and to be signed (Complete project)
-Planning residential home spaces
-Assessing client's needs and budgets
-Providing detailed floor plans, elevations and 3D views of spaces to be presented and approved by client
-Advising on selection of color and materials

What I've Learned: How to cultivate customers, and satisfy their needs, programs, team work, safety, liability.

Management: Follow the policy and the rules of the company.

Coworkers: Team work, and built good relationships and communication skills

Hardest part of the job: Loosing sales

Most enjoyable part: Satisfying customer's needs and succeeding in sales.
Nice employees and great customers
Cashier (Former Employee), Bradford, ONDecember 6, 2012
Pros: understanding bosses and nice employees
Cons: salary and hours
To whom it may concern,

I always found while working at The Home Depot the busier the better. I enjoyed the people I worked with as well as the customers. In the past few years I have learnt to work fast and efficiently. I have won various competitions and awards for outselling other cashiers for the monthly add on's.
At times it could be difficult when a customer is in a rush and they need an order quickly and become inpatient. I never take that as a negative I take that experience and turn it into a possitive one. Whether it's asking about their day or making a joke. I feed off their energy and work off of it. When I can make someones day that is what makes mine.
Great atmosphere and effective team
Lumber Sales Associate (Former Employee), Oakville, ONMay 8, 2015
Pros: Good hours
Cons: Feel expendable
A typical day at work would include me creating a deck design for a customers and helping them price it out. Cleaning the isles and helping customers locate products, and cutting wood to specific measurements for customers. I learned a great deal about products and procedures related to my department from interacting with customers and the training provided. All of my peers staff were great to work with and hard workers except for a few. The management was generally good except for the fact they were not very assertive at some times and whether they were happy with performance was unclear at most times. The hardest part of the job for me was dealing with more then one customer at a time, and the most enjoyable part of my position was creating deck designs on the computer using the Home Depot software.
HORRIBLE!!!!
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), StockyardsFebruary 20, 2013
Pros: tuition bursaries available
Cons: disrespect towards lower position employees
Typical day at work would be helping customers at the cash register. Most customers are grumpy, hardworking construction men who are also creepy towards young women.
I learned to have patience because that place drove me insane.
Co-workers were great aside from managers who were rude and disrespectful and did not care much for anyone in lower positions. One of my co-workers ruined my chances of getting a better job so i would not trust to give them as a reference.
Hardest part of work was trying to ask management for help.
Most enjoyable part was seeing those people i enjoyed spending time with including customers.

February 27, 2013

i was hired at this company as part time, they did not say 8 hrs a week is what you will be getting nor do they try and work around another job. they pay min. wage and expect you not to work else where and do not at ALL try and help schedule you. the management and hr get paid well and get full time hours and they DO NOT CARE IF YOU ARE STARVING WITH THE LOW WAGES AND LACK OF HOURS!!!!! this is only good if you can live off bread and margarine cause you will not afford butter at this company!! The hr women are like high school...they back stab and gossip. They say it against policy but they do it the most! They also turn around government laws in order to fire you. Years ago this was a decent place to work at but it has not been for a long time. I regret letting my child apply there!!

Productive and fun environment to work in
Customer Service (Current Employee), Ajax, ONJanuary 2, 2013
Pros: co-workers and customers
Cons: disgruntle customers
A typical day at Home Depot, is a fast paced environment where everyday something new happens. I've learned to work with a wide range of people, and deal with some very difficult situations. The Management team is awesome, they are always there to back you up, if a situation gets out of control. Through working at the Home Depot i have made some life long friends, the associates there are like a second family, you laugh and cry together. The hardest part of the job like with any retail position is having to deal with disgruntle customers. I find that the most enjoyable part of the jobs is the customers, when you have a repeat customer that practically comes in everyday, someone you know by name it just makes everything worthwhile .
A dusty box of misery
paint sales (Former Employee), EtpbicokeApril 14, 2014
Pros: free freezies!
Cons: heinous managers
It was a fun work environment, at first. The other associates in the department were great, and very supportive to the newbies, although it's a revolving door. Management was a bit like the Gestapo and a lot of the employees were disgruntled, the longer they worked there. Even after a 3 month probation, they saw fit to fire you for no good reason. In training, the credo was a pyramid shape where customers were first, associates second, management third but that wasn't so..management treated employees like disposable maxipads. Also you are at the mercy of the scheduler, you could be working almost full time hours one week, and the next less than 30 so it's impossible to have another job.
Fast-paced, demanding, uplifting, and friendly work environment where positive thinking thinking and a good attitude go a long way
Seasonal Sales Associate (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 22, 2012
Pros: great staff, great management, great company with great values.
Cons: hour long lunch making one's day 9 hours, low pay, no internal internships or career tracking programs.
Home Depot teaches its employees about the value of customer service and how to always strive to reach beyond the initial needs of the customer. It teaches good entrepreneurial spirit by asking its associates to treat all customers with respect and understanding, that these are the methods by which business will be retained. These values then carry over into staff and management relations, making Home Depot a very enjoyable place to work because one feels valued and understood.
Great work environment!
Sales Associate - Seasonal (Former Employee), Ajax, OntarioSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: friendliness, flexible work schedule
Cons: many of the part-time students were looking for more hours
It was a delight working at Home Depot. You are welcomed to work every day and in the two summers that I worked there, it was clear to see that people treated each other as if we were a family. The hardest part of working at Home Depot was working out in the stone-yard in the hot summer days. We were supplied with water and the proper safety procedures to ensure that it was still a safe working environment and a safe shopping environment. I would definitively recommend working at Home Depot if you want to improve your teamwork skills, improve your confidence when speaking with strangers as well as learn some useful DIY (Do It Yourself) tips and tools that will be useful in the future.
Friendly environment, work as a family
Sales Associate/Flooring Specialist (Current Employee), Pickering, ONJanuary 10, 2016
Pros: Free Training, Free Lunches, Option to sit on various Committees
Cons: Working weekends, Schedule changes daily.
Home Depot is a family oriented business with core values that promote a positive environment and excellent customer service. A typical day at work involves working as a team to seek out and serve customers to be best of our ability.

The management team is always available to provide support, training and acknowledgement of a job well done. We all work together as a team, co-workers as well as management.

The hardest part of the job is following up on your customer needs, as our schedule changes on a daily basis. At The Home Depot, we receive a wealth of knowledge and training on products and D.I.Y.'s. I really enjoy using the knowledge I have gained to ensure that my customer projects are successful.
Industry