Home Depot
14,123 reviews

Home Depot Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great learning opportunity
Sales Associate in Lumber and Building Materials (Former Employee), Ottawa, OnApril 27, 2015
Pros: Health benefits, free lunches, free prizes
Cons: Management
The Home Depot was like most retail jobs, except I learned a lot a applicable skills such as building a fence or a deck. The people there are very knowledgeable and are willing to teach others. The hardest part of the job was learning about all the products we carried and how they can be used for different situations. What I enjoyed most was working with my coworkers as a team, and the amount of knowledge I acquired.
Overall the job place was good, but the wage wasn't satisfy
Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 27, 2015
Pros: Multi culture place
Cons: night shift
Sorting and stocking up store inventory with operation of a forklift
Accounting for storewide inventory on a daily basis
Unloading trucks and moving freight from receiving to designated staging areas
Very busy place to work at, made for a fun day
Dept Supervisor, Paint & Plumbing, Key holder (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 27, 2015
Pros: popsicles in the summer
Cons: inconsistant schedule
My typical work day was to see that all my associates were assigned to their respective depts. Place my orders for product.

I learned that I was able to manage and maintain my depts.

My co-workers were a very fun bunch to work with, I enjoyed going to work just to be with the people I worked with.

Hardest part of the job was telling my customers that we did not have the product in that they were looking for.

Most enjoyable was the family feel of the employees that worked there.
challenging work environment fun place to work
SD SAP Functional Support Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 27, 2015
I very much appreciate the opportunity to work at this great Multi-national company. The work environment and job culture is the best I've worked in. The position was initially extremely challenging as SAP Sales and distribution( SD ) is a very complicated and broad application however with the support of my colleagues and management I was able to quickly adapt.
Fun, productive work place with many learning opportunities
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 25, 2015
Pros: Great Benefit Coverage
Cons: Schedule switches/requests take long to process
A typical day at the Home Depot would be me walking into my department, the Tool Rental Center and cleaning any tools that were returned throughout the day, while still helping the steady traffic of customers that come in. Before my experience at Home Depot I knew nothing about any commercial grade tools, let alone even a simple carpet cleaner. But after the training process in the Tool Rental Center, – more... both on the computer and hands on, I can say I’ve gained a lot of knowledge and skills that will surely benefit me for the rest of my life. I really do love my job, not to mention, my fellow co-workers that make the place so functional/productive but yet so fun at the same time. Yes, sometimes it can get a little crazy during our busy seasons but there is always someone there to lend a helping hand. The best part about this job is the environment. Your customers ranger from “Do it yourselfers” to Professional Contractors, and with every conversation comes a great learning experience! – less
Lot Associate (Current Employee), WoodbridgeApril 24, 2015
Home Depot is a well recognized company across North America. working with them really gives people a purpose. Instilled in The Home Depot culture is putting others first and enjoying work every day.
Loved working here
Cashier (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONApril 23, 2015
Pros: Free pizza sometimes, health insurance, flexible hours
Cons: Sometimes low hours when business is slow (for cashiers)
I loved working at The Home Depot. Everyone was friendly, and great. Decent salary with an increase every year. You get awards when you provide excellent customer service (got 2!), and also get a bonus for every three Homer awards you get. After the probation period, employees get health insurance. I heard the Christmas parties are great with everyone winning real big prizes, but I could never attend any because of my exams. Had to stop working because of time management issues with my studies. But overall I would recommend it to anyone!
Great place to work as either part time or full time
Professional & Contractor Services (Prodesk) (Current Employee), Pickering, ONApril 23, 2015
Cons: shifts are scattered throughout the week
Very busy working environment
Build customer relationships with contractors
Build designs and projects (Deck, Windows, Doors, Fence, etc.)
Management looks out for the best interest of the employee
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee), brampton,onApril 22, 2015
It was nice working with home depot. learned a lot abut dealing with customer on delay bases.the most enjoyable part of the job was learning about all the home equipment's.
Great company that excels are empowering the associate.
Tool Rental Center Associate (Current Employee), Surrey, BCApril 21, 2015
I have loved working for The Home Depot. I felt confident in the skills I was taught, and supported by other associates and management. Co-workers are great, and have challenged me to become the best employee I can.
It was good but things went down hill a bit
Departmental Team Lead (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 21, 2015
overall great company and great team members. I loved the team I was part of. But sometimes senior level management did not help us as best as they could.
The Home Depot
Sourcing Specialist (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 18, 2015
This is a great large corporation to work for.
They offer many excellent programs. Communication is good.
A typical day -
meet with suppliers,
meet with various cross functional teams to complete a job.
Resolve store associate concerns.
The most enjoyable part of work is talking to store associates and resolving their questions or concerns, working out at the gym provided.
The Best of what Retail has to offer.
Electrical Associate (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABApril 16, 2015
Pros: Independence, Learning, Culture, Bonuses
Cons: Scheduling, Instruction, Physically Demanding
If you find yourself having to work in Retail, Home Depot is probably the best place to do it. After having experienced many retail jobs, the Home Depot has the best environment out of all that I've experienced. This is a workplace of Adults, not children, and the company treats you like you have a brain. You are given plenty of freedom, responsibility and there is always something to do. Your brain – more... is worked to it's limit and you learn a huge amount, especially if you work in a technical department like Electrical.

Like any job there are cons -- your schedule is 100% randomized by a computer weeks in advance, so planning anything is tough. This is a the most anti-employee policy they have.

The store works better the fewer managers are in it. When all the managers are present it quickly turns into a clustermug of contradictory instructions and inefficiency. They usually mean well but the stores could easily be employee-run.

The training is mostly Vendor sponsored, and therefore is biased and doesn't teach from first principles. Most of your learning will occur via other associates who have to teach you several textbooks worth of product knowledge on the floor. Expect to be flustered and embarrassed frequently until you become an expert in your area. Once you do become an expert however, the job becomes rewarding as people are overjoyed that you actually know how to help them.

And if they do become overjoyed and tell a manager about it or do a survey, you get a decent amount of money as a bonus consistently. – less
Great environment with great people
Head Cashier (Current Employee), sherwood parkApril 15, 2015
I love the people I work with and the job itself is great. For the most part, customers are quite nice, but as in all retail jobs you get the odd awful one. Management is overall very good.
Associate (Former Employee), Sturgeon Falls, ONApril 15, 2015
I loved working at the Home Depot in Sturgeon Falls. The staff is friendly and helpful, and the store is well managed, making everyone's job easier.
Good place to work for
Flooring Associate/Fulfillment Team Member (Former Employee), Burlington, ONApril 15, 2015
Pros: Great management team. You get your work your schedule two weeks in advance
Cons: Low Salary, you get most of your hours on weekends
Good over all life-work balance. Lots of good people in the store. Salary was low and it takes quite a while to advance within the company.
Great place to work part time
Associate (Former Employee), Belleville, ONApril 15, 2015
Hours of dedication assisting consumers interested in home renovation. Learned about all the different materials available to repair and replace existing things around the house. As well, identified customer needs in determining tools required for the job at hand. Management was always around to help with any concerns. Co-workers were friendly and knowledgeable. The hardest part of the job was being on your feet all day. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customer find the products they were looking for.
Great environment
Electrical Associate (Current Employee), Guelph, ONApril 13, 2015
my knowledge for my department and sometimes others gets tested everyday. The associates are great to work with and I love talking about electrical
home depot claims to put employees first because "WE" are the key to the companies success. Management could care less about us as employees.
Tool Technician / Mechanic (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 13, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: tons
i am a full time employee and still found it difficult to make ends meat. i requested so schedule changes so i could have another job. i was refused my request and told that if i want another job i will neeed to change my status to part time. i feel like there is no point in them asking our availability because they just defecate all over it anyhow. the people i worked with are great and very friendly. upper management is a joke, and what they dont realize is the sales of the store has nothing to with them, if they were all to take a month long vacation, all operations and sales will remain the same.
productive and fun place to work
Flooring associate (Current Employee), Coquitlam, BCApril 12, 2015
great place to work but money is not enough. good job for retirement or second part time job. everybody is friendly. great place to work but money is not enough. good job for retirement or second part time job. everybody is friendly. great place to work but money is not enough. good job for retirement or second part time job. everybody is friendly. great place to work but money is not enough. good – more... job for retirement or second part time job. everybody is friendly. great place to work but money is not enough. good job for retirement or second part time job. everybody is friendly. great place to work but money is not enough. good job for retirement or second part time job. everybody is friendly. great place to work but money is not enough. good job for retirement or second part time job. everybody is friendly. – less

About Home Depot

The Home Depot is the global leader in home improvement and fourth largest retailer in the world. Providing superior customer – Read more