16.4K reviews

Home Depot Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Paycheque not really good, Merchandise Management poor
Merchandise (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaAugust 20, 2013
Pros: i don't find major good stuff...
Cons: management treat poorly their employees
Merchandise team as a clerk sound cool but generally speaking you are cleaners of all the products in the racks or shelves. Typical job is to jot down all you have found missing, dents, sorting, cleaning the racks, straighten all products in the shelf etcetera etc. and must be recorded in the reports card.

Watch out supervisors are not really keen in your side when it comes to kiosk or problems, they can twist anything they said, so you must have a recorded to have some proof when it comes to denial. "Liars liars pants on fire hanging from a telephone wire, not to big not too small just the size of Montreal"

Management and supervisors are not on your side as an employee. They can twist whatever they said in front of employees.
Some supervisors are not FOCUS on their actions and keeps on changing their minds. NO DIRECTIONS and you feel frustrated. (changeable mind...really).

Salary not very impressive compare to Real Canadian Company. I think all American company in Canada is govern under the jurisdiction of United States Standards when it comes to paycheque? Well we are Canadian, our salary is higher than south of the boarders...whatsoever dah!...They (American Company in Canada) should pay us as Canadian what we deserve because were spending Canadian power (dollars, not American).
Night Crew Associate (Former Employee), ChilliwackMay 14, 2015
Pros: Full time work, great co-workers, fun setting
Cons: low pay, small commute, inexperienced supervisers
At home depot I worked the night shift. Fulfillment is what the job was titled, but it was so much more. I was responsible for many the departments lumber, millworks, building materials. Because I was used to driving machines from my previous job I was able to pick up really quickly, most nights finishing all my jobs a few hours early. At that point I would go and move into the seasonal or garden center department and do fulfillment there.

Our supervisors were very nice but somewhat inexperienced in a warehouse. Because I had worked in a similar setting (Rona) my supervisor would ask me anything he was unsure of, such as where to place specific product on the upper level based on department and such.

My co-workers were great, easy to talk to, very supportive, the kind of co-workers you want when starting a new job.

Certifications: Narrow Aisle Reach, LPG Forklift, Electric Pallet Jack

The hardest part of the job was working all night for low pay.

The most enjoyable part of job was that I knew what to do each night and would be left alone so I could finish my jobs. That's the benefit of being on a small night crew. That and coffee.
Good opening to the job world
Sales associate (Former Employee), 130 ave SE CalgaryMarch 31, 2015
Pros: operating forklifts and the people I got to work with
Cons: the rude or ignorant people that would come in. It was draining to work with them, and still be polite and considerate. In the end it is their money and their decision.
It was the first job that I ever had, I knew I had to go in and work hard. I found it also to be a great learning opportunity to learn how to react and talk to different people everyday. It was something that was foreign to me as well as out of my comfort zone. I had great co-workers when I was there and one even become one of my closest friends. I often return there for shopping, because I know some of the staff and enjoy talking to them as well as I know my way around that particular store. It really gave me a different view for shopping because I was on the other side and know what it can be like. The hardest part about the job was when it was busy, you had to run around so much and juggle 10 different things. It was a hard balance, because I wanted to give the best service I could to each person, but at the same time I wanted to be quick and try to help everyone I could. The best part of that job was the people I got to work with, especially some of the older ones, they had to much knowledge and there was always something to learn, or a funny story to hear. As well I also got trained to operate the fork lifts, which I can't really complain about.
Fun place to work
Electrical Sales Associate (Student) (Former Employee), London, ONNovember 11, 2013
Pros: one-hour/half-hour lunch based on your choice, great pay, flexible scheduling
Cons: position in the workplace is not 100% secure as you can be moved whenever management desires
Working at The Home Depot was an interesting experience for me as it held a lot of mixed emotions for me. I worked in the Electrical Department of The Home Depot, which is a rather rigorous department to work in. My fellow co-workers and associates were a pleasure to work with and even my supervisors were great and helped to create a comfortable environment. Management, however, was often difficult to get along with for me as they didn't come off too friendly for me a lot of the time. I realize that they have a job to do themselves, but they could have been more friendly and helpful about it all. While I had a minor issues with the manager and assistant managers' attitudes towards my fellow associates and I, they definitely did work hard and do their job well. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the interaction and open friendliness between the other associates and cashiers. I felt like I could be myself and enjoy the companionship of others while I was working. Everyone respected each other, for the most part, and we either got along well or left each other to our own devices
Poor work/life balance.
Specialties Associate (Former Employee), BracebridgeNovember 30, 2012
Pros: great fellow sales associates
Cons: very weak management, no work / life balance
Fellow associates are great, a lot of hoopla about caring, balancing hours, training etc. Did feel empowered when it came to closing a sale.

While I feel corporate may have the right idea, don't see much of it filtering down through this store.

Was brought in during a management change, but felt I was very much thrown on the floor with training incomplete. Covered the basics as far as liability, but department and product knowledge was skipped so that I could cover floor by myself without much shadowing. Logins for department programs were slow in coming, could not help some customers due to this. Was told take name & number.

My department manager was great, who made the transition for me easier, but they were surprised at how quick they put me on my own.

Requested time off was never listened to, unless after scheduling I went to my department manager, who tried their best, but most times could not help.

Friends told me good luck when I started, after leaving, they explained it was sarcastic, everyone they knew who worked there was not happy.
Lot Associate (Former Employee), Fredericton, NBMarch 3, 2013
Pros: positive work environment. enjoyable job. great pay.
Cons: difficult to move up in positions.
The typical day at Home Depot for me involved helping customers load both big and small merchandise into their vehicles. Lifting and carrying heavy loads all day long. Cleaning the store, making sure it was very presentable and tidy. Making sure the parking lot was spotless with no carts anywhere in site. To make sure that all carts were presented neatly and in an organized fashion for the customer. Answering calls on a walkie talkie to help customers. Clean garbages and always have a smile on my face whether it was a good day or a bad day. Working at Home Depot I learned the importance of working as a team and to work without stopping until the day was done. The management was excellent and very understanding, they provided a very comfortable and position working environment. The hardest part of the job was mostly the winter season for me but that is saying very little compared to all the positive attributes that came with this job. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the wonderful associates I did aswell as dealing with the very friendly customers that came in. Some of the customers would ask for me specifically which made me feel great and would always make me wanna work harder at my job in hopes that it would happen again.
Fun working environment building the necessary skills to use in your every day life
Customer Service (Current Employee), Brampton, ONOctober 29, 2015
Pros: free training
Cons: high demanding
A typical day at the Home Depot customer service desk includes,
coming to work at 5:45 am (15 min before opening) printing out reports, completing the necessary steps to complete and file the reports. setting up deliveries, reconciling cash, speaking to management about orders, customers, complaints, issues.

What I have learnt working at Home Depot is the acronym
"F.I.R.S.T"
F-Find
I-Inquire
R-Respect
T-Thank
Follow these steps while helping any one and it will really help the interaction.

My co-workers at the Home Depot are more like a mini family. We bring each other up and support one another.

The hardest part of the job is having to delegate some of the tasks out to others because I am such a perfectionist that I think I can take on everything.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the co-workers as mentioned above they are more like a mini family, we share laughs, tears, and hard times. Some of the regular customers I have now become accustomed too and they are opening their lives up to me as well.
Fun, productive work place with many learning opportunities
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 25, 2015
Pros: Great Benefit Coverage
Cons: Schedule switches/requests take long to process
A typical day at the Home Depot would be me walking into my department, the Tool Rental Center and cleaning any tools that were returned throughout the day, while still helping the steady traffic of customers that come in. Before my experience at Home Depot I knew nothing about any commercial grade tools, let alone even a simple carpet cleaner. But after the training process in the Tool Rental Center, both on the computer and hands on, I can say I’ve gained a lot of knowledge and skills that will surely benefit me for the rest of my life. I really do love my job, not to mention, my fellow co-workers that make the place so functional/productive but yet so fun at the same time. Yes, sometimes it can get a little crazy during our busy seasons but there is always someone there to lend a helping hand. The best part about this job is the environment. Your customers ranger from “Do it yourselfers” to Professional Contractors, and with every conversation comes a great learning experience!
It started off great...
Department Supervisor (Current Employee), Sherwood Park, ABAugust 21, 2014
Pros: social committee, good associates
Cons: salaried management
Come in to work, walk the floor, create an agenda for the day. Lots of lifting and heavy work, as well as driving equipment to ensure that the department stays clean and organized. Directed associates to help, set both personal and business goals with associates, helped them achieve them. Learned a lot about retail management, and how to plan for sales, ordering, goal setting. Management is alright, unless they deem that you're not worth it. It's an obvious favoritism. Some people can get away with 23 schedule occurrences, where as others are not so lucky. HR doesn't know what they're doing (Even within 90 days they have to go through the discipline process.)

They hire assistant store managers externally, hardly promote from within. The guidelines for promoting from within are completely out to lunch. If you want to move up in the company you're better off quitting, and reapplying for the position that you want.

Department Supervisors are a dime a dozen, and they treat them as such. Completely replaceable, even if they've shown results.
Department supervisor
Millwork Department Supervisor (Former Employee), Regina, SKMarch 28, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: wages, shifts, too many demands on dept. supervisors day, no promotions
I loved my job! A typical day was filled with reports, customers, great staff and good old fashioned physical work. It was fun to be part of a group of people that wanted to present the best store possible, and they took pride in giving the best customer service possible. The part that we all hated was the inability of the management team to communicate, to make and follow consistent policies, and to be part of the whole store team. I feel like the manager had been in place far too long, and favortism was everywhere. Home Depot had once been a company that you could move up in fairly quickly, but I found that in Saskatchewan that was no longer possible. I was laid off after a manager restructured the store, only to find out 3 months later that my job had been posted..I am not bitter as I have moved on to greater things, but I am sad that a company that was fun to work at, had great career choices, and great benefits had moved to such a war zone at one point, and that a manager could let politics tear a place up. All good businesses succeed if they have a great management team that trusts and works with their staff!!
Heavy lifting, customer service, recieving, busy
Lot, and Fulfilment Associate (Former Employee), Brockville, ONFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: all ways kept busy, i personally liked helping customers find excatly what they were looking for, driving forktrucks, active job, part time benifets
Cons: lack of training, hard to get any advancements, early mornings 5 am start time, to frequent change in employees and management, low wages
A typical day world start off with doing all the safety checklists for any and all equipment for example - ladders, life equipment like forklifts and reach trucks, sliding power doors and any other safety equipment and power equipment. following this I would collect missing product reports and was responsible for finding any lost product throughout the store. Unloading any incoming product shipments into the receiving area. After products were received delivering product to correct departments for product placement. Product placement. Keeping the parking lot clean and professional looking at all times as well as loading customer purchases into there vehicle's. Gathering any customer orders for deliveries and finally customer service. The most enjoyable part of this job has to be always having something to keep you busy and occupied for during the shift.
Productive and friendly workplace
Department Supervisor (Current Employee), West Vancouver, BCJune 4, 2015
Pros: Good Benefits, Serious company, Respect for everybody, Friendly work environment.
Cons: Variable week schedule.
The most enjoyable part is the DIVERSITY of the employees. There are people from different parts of the world, different ages, cultures, and native people. It is s a place for everybody.

Home Depot has an excellent on-line training program for each associate that starts with the basic training for the new position and extends as a Continue Education Program which is supervised by the HR manager.

Through this company I have learned the art of selling, identifying the customer's needs using effective communication while providing excellent customer service.

Moreover, as Department Supervisor, I have honed my leadership skills, building strong and productive work teams. It has been, as well, an opportunity to grow in time management, associate's performance evaluation, sales analysis, planning and implementing marketing strategies.

In general terms, it is a fast pacing yet friendly work environment. Every day brings different situations with customers and the associates, facing new challenges which allow growth to me, my co-workers and the company.
An Average Workplace
Part-Time Lot Associate (Former Employee), Markham, ONApril 11, 2015
Pros: Great coworkers, Good atmosphere, Average pay and decent benefits
Cons: Management blunders, Retail, Short hours per week
This was my first job and for the two years I've worked there, it was an average experience overall.

Jobs in retail aren't easy, especially since there is pressure to serve customers and make sure they leave happy. My task involved cleaning up the lot and helping customers load up their new purchases.

The hours I got per week fluctuated from 12-25h after the first 3 months, and the ever changing management made it difficult to ask for more. The changing management also forced us to work some days understaffed and added significant workloads for everyone. The coworkers do make the job worthwhile though since they are friendly and personable.

Pay was average compared to the workload we were tasked with but the benefits were decent.

If you are looking for your first job or just a job in general, Home Depot would be a decent place to start since they are always in need of front-end associates.
If you're a go-getter and like retail, this place is for you.
Lot Associate and Cashier (Former Employee), Oakville, ONDecember 9, 2014
Pros: enjoyable working atmosphere, resources readily available
Cons: hours aren't very flexible, may require heavy lifting
Home Depot is a well organized corporation that runs their stores pleasantly. The amount of work is fair and they supply their employees with the resources they need to get through their day smoothly. Back braces, steel toe boots, gloves, etc. can all be compensated after purchase and uniforms are practically given away (I still have 6 shirts and 3 aprons). Management is overall very fair. If you work hard you will be recognized and awarded with a "Homer Award". The hardest part of the job would be knowing your stuff. You will be taught what you need to know for your department but it's up to you to remember everything and apply the knowledge to customer needs. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the atmosphere created by the staff. It's almost like a 2nd family for those who aren't in it for the money.
Enjoy being exploited
Seasonal Sales/Lot Associate (Former Employee), PeterboroughMay 1, 2014
Pros: paid 15 minute breaks
Cons: no hours, constant abuse by customers, lack of management support, no oppertunity for advancement.
A typical day of work at The Home Depot consisted of being demeaned at every possible interval. I would consistently sell upwards of $10, 000 per day, and wound up making just over $11 per hour after 3 loyal years of customer service. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with customers and gaining knowledge of a diverse range of products, but that doesn't compensate for being treated like disposable trash. Management is by far the worst part. I suppose working at The Home Depot is better than being unemployed, but after being bullied into quitting as a result of a serious injury, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. There is little to no respect for employees, and often management would go out of their way to sabotage your attempts at advancement. Do not apply to the Home Depot unless you want to work too hard for no money with no possibility for advancement.
Wonderful place to work over all. Managment is great as well as the other employees. Advancment is slow but they bend over backward to help when asked
Sales Representative (Seasonal & Flooring (Current Employee), Courtenay, BCFebruary 2, 2013
Pros: suportive and possitive working enviroment
Cons: shedule all over the place
I enjoy going to work, because of the people I work with and managment staff is top rate. They do a wonderful job making sure the people who should be in customer service are hired and those that shouldnt be, are not. Ive learned more at the Home depot than any where else, They encourage growth and alow you to explore options and intrests. Hours are speratic in your first year or more, and no garranty of full time, My hours fluctuate between 20-30 hrs a week. and cant count on it being steady. I have adapted well to any department and dont hold back, so I wasnt cut back too much in the winter, but others have had a harder time. At the Home Depot hard work is rewarded. They have been a fantastic company to work for.
Retail Environment, many products to learn applications
Co-op Student (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 17, 2014
Pros: co-op position, ability to observe most store functions, and take part in them.
Cons: no pay
I worked here as a co-op student. My typical work day involved me re-organizing products and helping customers find the best product for them.

I learned much of how the retail environment functions. I've worked in every department to learn their products and which ones would suit a homeowners and a contractor.

Management was great, they handled all my questions when necessary.

Co-workers were very fun to work with, working in pairs sometimes to handle a customers needs can prove more fun and also builds customer appreciation.

Hardest part of the job was handling many customers questions at once.

Most enjoyable part of my job was the flexibility of my position, which allowed me to never be still,it deepened my understanding of the retail industry. I always had my hands full helping co-workers around the store, learning about what needs the departments had which weren't being fulfilled and being able to take care of the minimal duties which improved the quality of service given by my co-workers.
Enjoyable
Kitchen Designer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 22, 2014
Pros: nice place to work after retirement, learn new trades, meetwonderful people
Cons: dictatorship, do what you are told, no one knows more than the bosses. the department heads are the scape goats.
A heartless place to work in. Associates are mere numbers. In one store a youngster refused to write his name on his apron, instead he wrote his employment number. Apart from an indifferent attitude from the top brass, I enjoyed meeting customers and the company of the associates. The Home Depot s not devoid of discrimination. I was a victim and to compound it had a new Assistant Store Manager who was a BULLY. He did not like me standing up to him. Certain policies were questionable. At one town hall meetings (the only one I was ever invited to ) I questioned the way awards were bestowed on some favourites. Because there was no answer I was in their cross hairs. After Eight and a Half of service there and being considered in the top 25 associates in the district an and worker 'To Go To' I was laid off.
Stressful and no job security. Long term people have there jobs eliminated and then posting put up and replaced with lower payed people.
Merchandising Area Supervisor (Current Employee), Abbotsford BCJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: some good associates.
Cons: bullying. harassment. undermining. intimidation. bad asm's.supervosrors.
Typical work day is stress on stress, undermining is a blood sport along with bullying from Associates and Management. Most of the coworkers are great, it's the mob mentality when it comes to bullying is hard on a person.Hardest part of the job showing up every day knowing you will be bullied and undermined. Love the work just can not take the harassment and bullying. After 18 years and being bullied for the past 7 or 8 years it looks like it will be hard to get up and go to work every day. I have seen the ASM team look at cashiers that are being creamed at by customers told to go back to work and help that customer with a smile, even when the cashier is crying the ASM will say you either help or you will be written up.I could write a book on the bad things that I have seen and I would not recommend Home Depot to anyone.
Great Environment and Staff
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Current Employee), North York, TorontoJuly 16, 2015
Pros: Great staff, Great benefits, Long lunch periods.
Cons: Not the best management, not the best pay
My typical day at work would be to come in and provide excellent customer service to all customers in the store. Whether I am doing a floor sale or phone sale or cashing out customers my job at the home depot is to make sure every single customer leaves with complete satisfaction and a smile on their face and only then I know my job is completed. At the home depot I've learned the company's core values such as doing the right thing, respect for all people, building store/customer relationships, and most importantly giving exceptional customer service. The management team at the home depot are very friendly and welcoming but can not always be found when associates on the floor need help and should be more respectful when disciplining associates. Like most jobs they all have pros and cons, the hardest part about my job is opening up new home depot credit cards but the most enjoyable part about my job is being a team player and getting to work with some amazing people.
Industry