Home Depot
13,130 reviews

Home Depot Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Excellent Team Culture
Head Cashier (Special Services Associate) (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 6, 2015
Management and team members share the same philosophy of providing excellent customer service to customers. A great place to work for students.
Fun Workplace to work with new challenges everyday
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMay 5, 2015
I loved the culture over at my job. The understanding between our co-workers and the most enjoyable part was everyday i get to face new challenges everyday.
Good Student Job
Lumber/Building Materials Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), Niagara Falls, ONMay 4, 2015
Home Depot is a good place to work throughout College and/or University. They are great about working around a school schedule and giving the time off needed to write midterms and exams.
Best retail job I had
Inventory Management Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 3, 2015
Pros: Benefits, work environment
Cons: Management, pay
I worked in grocery stores when I was younger, but this job was way better. I enjoyed most aspects of this job, my co-workers were great. Management was below average, but about as good as retail gets. Pay was average, but good benefits.
Nice place to work
General Labourer (Former Employee), Brampton, ONMay 2, 2015
Nice place to workNice place to workNice place to workNice place to workNice place to workNice place to workNice place to workNice place to workNice place to workNice place to work
A fun and enjoyable work experience
Part-time Seasonal Associate (Former Employee), Brampton, OntarioApril 29, 2015
Pros: Free snacks and lunches
Cons: Short shifts
A typical day at work consists of assisting customers, prepared sales, and managing store front and drive through environment. The management was great and provided good employee training. The co-workers were very friendly and easy to work with. The hardest part of the job was the pace, and ensuring all orders were successfully completed, meeting the needs of the customer. The most enjoyable part of the job was engaging with customers and working in a positive work environment.
Not bad, not great. It's a job
Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 28, 2015
Pros: Ease of work, coworkers
Cons: Poor pay if you don't have trade certificate of years upon years of experience
Hours. Its all over the place. If you are part time, there is zero consistency in regards to hours. One week is full time, then no hours for a month. It does get busier during the spring-fall seasons so you can usually get 15+ hours a week depending on the department, but don't expect that to last into the Christmas season.

People.The people you work with are usually great. They really do promote the "if you don't know, ask" mentality. Just don't expect to get the answer that you want. Most of the other associates will help, but there are always the one or two that won't. It's part of the working world.

Management.My experience with management has been hit and miss. Some have been very hands on and straight forward (which I like) and others have been all smiles to your face then do the opposite. It all depends on the store you get. It's safe to say they get paid very well for their role in the store so they do anything to protect that.

Pay. Unless you have a certificate in some trade, don't expect to make much more than min wage.

Scheduling. Released every week so you always have a 2 week notice on what you will be working. Usually pretty easy to get shifts covered depending on department and available workers, but usually always someone willing to grab the hours.

Training. Practically non existent. They do give you 2 days training to cover the legal stuff then you are on the floor. Everything is pretty well learn on the go. They do provide a great amount of online and product information, and you do get paid for doing it, if you can find time away from the – more... sales floor to get behind a computer for a bit.

Advancement. It is possible if you stay with the company for years or have some schooling to add to the job. Otherwise I wouldn't count on flying through the ranks. Being liked my management and the other Department Supervisors helps...a lot.

Credit. They are all about the credit card and expect everyone to get cards. They always talk about doing it in the best interest of the customers. Its not hard to do but at 28.8% interest, that's not in the best interest in my customers.

In the end, its a job. It pays the bills and if you work at it, it could become a career for some. All I can say is don't expect to be handed anything in that company. You have to work for it. – less
Close-minded
Sales associate (Former Employee), Montreal, QCApril 28, 2015
Poor close-minded overall job-culture. Little to no advancement opportunity and was basically terminated because of a job-related injury without advance notice.
Friendly and hard-working.
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABApril 28, 2015
Responsible for keeping goods stocked and tidy in the Seasonal department. Answered questions regarding product information. Learned about outdoor furniture and gardening product brands.
Management engaging. People where nice.
Hardest part of the job was large orders of building materials.
Most enjoyable part was the people who worked there.
Great learning opportunity
Sales Associate in Lumber and Building Materials (Former Employee), Ottawa, OnApril 27, 2015
Pros: Health benefits, free lunches, free prizes
Cons: Management
The Home Depot was like most retail jobs, except I learned a lot a applicable skills such as building a fence or a deck. The people there are very knowledgeable and are willing to teach others. The hardest part of the job was learning about all the products we carried and how they can be used for different situations. What I enjoyed most was working with my coworkers as a team, and the amount of knowledge I acquired.
Overall the job place was good, but the wage wasn't satisfy
Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 27, 2015
Pros: Multi culture place
Cons: night shift
Sorting and stocking up store inventory with operation of a forklift
Accounting for storewide inventory on a daily basis
Unloading trucks and moving freight from receiving to designated staging areas
Very busy place to work at, made for a fun day
Dept Supervisor, Paint & Plumbing, Key holder (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 27, 2015
Pros: popsicles in the summer
Cons: inconsistant schedule
My typical work day was to see that all my associates were assigned to their respective depts. Place my orders for product.

I learned that I was able to manage and maintain my depts.

My co-workers were a very fun bunch to work with, I enjoyed going to work just to be with the people I worked with.

Hardest part of the job was telling my customers that we did not have the product in that they were looking for.

Most enjoyable was the family feel of the employees that worked there.
challenging work environment fun place to work
SD SAP Functional Support Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 27, 2015
I very much appreciate the opportunity to work at this great Multi-national company. The work environment and job culture is the best I've worked in. The position was initially extremely challenging as SAP Sales and distribution( SD ) is a very complicated and broad application however with the support of my colleagues and management I was able to quickly adapt.
Fun, productive work place with many learning opportunities
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 25, 2015
Pros: Great Benefit Coverage
Cons: Schedule switches/requests take long to process
A typical day at the Home Depot would be me walking into my department, the Tool Rental Center and cleaning any tools that were returned throughout the day, while still helping the steady traffic of customers that come in. Before my experience at Home Depot I knew nothing about any commercial grade tools, let alone even a simple carpet cleaner. But after the training process in the Tool Rental Center, both on the computer and hands on, I can say I’ve gained a lot of knowledge and skills that will surely benefit me for the rest of my life. I really do love my job, not to mention, my fellow co-workers that make the place so functional/productive but yet so fun at the same time. Yes, sometimes it can get a little crazy during our busy seasons but there is always someone there to lend a helping hand. The best part about this job is the environment. Your customers ranger from “Do it yourselfers” to Professional Contractors, and with every conversation comes a great learning experience!
Lot Associate (Current Employee), WoodbridgeApril 24, 2015
Home Depot is a well recognized company across North America. working with them really gives people a purpose. Instilled in The Home Depot culture is putting others first and enjoying work every day.
Loved working here
Cashier (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONApril 23, 2015
Pros: Free pizza sometimes, health insurance, flexible hours
Cons: Sometimes low hours when business is slow (for cashiers)
I loved working at The Home Depot. Everyone was friendly, and great. Decent salary with an increase every year. You get awards when you provide excellent customer service (got 2!), and also get a bonus for every three Homer awards you get. After the probation period, employees get health insurance. I heard the Christmas parties are great with everyone winning real big prizes, but I could never attend any because of my exams. Had to stop working because of time management issues with my studies. But overall I would recommend it to anyone!
Great place to work as either part time or full time
Professional & Contractor Services (Prodesk) (Current Employee), Pickering, ONApril 23, 2015
Cons: shifts are scattered throughout the week
Very busy working environment
Build customer relationships with contractors
Build designs and projects (Deck, Windows, Doors, Fence, etc.)
Management looks out for the best interest of the employee
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee), brampton,onApril 22, 2015
It was nice working with home depot. learned a lot abut dealing with customer on delay bases.the most enjoyable part of the job was learning about all the home equipment's.
Great company that excels are empowering the associate.
Tool Rental Center Associate (Current Employee), Surrey, BCApril 21, 2015
I have loved working for The Home Depot. I felt confident in the skills I was taught, and supported by other associates and management. Co-workers are great, and have challenged me to become the best employee I can.
It was good but things went down hill a bit
Departmental Team Lead (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 21, 2015
overall great company and great team members. I loved the team I was part of. But sometimes senior level management did not help us as best as they could.

About Home Depot

The Home Depot is the global leader in home improvement and fourth largest retailer in the world. Providing superior customer – Read more