Home Depot

Home Depot Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
The Home Depot
Sourcing Specialist (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 18, 2015
This is a great large corporation to work for.
They offer many excellent programs. Communication is good.
A typical day -
meet with suppliers,
meet with various cross functional teams to complete a job.
Resolve store associate concerns.
The most enjoyable part of work is talking to store associates and resolving their questions or concerns, working out at the gym provided.
The Best of what Retail has to offer.
Electrical Associate (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABApril 16, 2015
Pros: Independence, Learning, Culture, Bonuses
Cons: Scheduling, Instruction, Physically Demanding
If you find yourself having to work in Retail, Home Depot is probably the best place to do it. After having experienced many retail jobs, the Home Depot has the best environment out of all that I've experienced. This is a workplace of Adults, not children, and the company treats you like you have a brain. You are given plenty of freedom, responsibility and there is always something to do. Your brain is worked to it's limit and you learn a huge amount, especially if you work in a technical department like Electrical.

Like any job there are cons -- your schedule is 100% randomized by a computer weeks in advance, so planning anything is tough. This is a the most anti-employee policy they have.

The store works better the fewer managers are in it. When all the managers are present it quickly turns into a clustermug of contradictory instructions and inefficiency. They usually mean well but the stores could easily be employee-run.

The training is mostly Vendor sponsored, and therefore is biased and doesn't teach from first principles. Most of your learning will occur via other associates who have to teach you several textbooks worth of product knowledge on the floor. Expect to be flustered and embarrassed frequently until you become an expert in your area. Once you do become an expert however, the job becomes rewarding as people are overjoyed that you actually know how to help them.

And if they do become overjoyed and tell a manager about it or do a survey, you get a decent amount of money as a bonus consistently.
Great environment with great people
Head Cashier (Current Employee), sherwood parkApril 15, 2015
I love the people I work with and the job itself is great. For the most part, customers are quite nice, but as in all retail jobs you get the odd awful one. Management is overall very good.
Associate (Former Employee), Sturgeon Falls, ONApril 15, 2015
I loved working at the Home Depot in Sturgeon Falls. The staff is friendly and helpful, and the store is well managed, making everyone's job easier.
Good place to work for
Flooring Associate/Fulfillment Team Member (Former Employee), Burlington, ONApril 15, 2015
Pros: Great management team. You get your work your schedule two weeks in advance
Cons: Low Salary, you get most of your hours on weekends
Good over all life-work balance. Lots of good people in the store. Salary was low and it takes quite a while to advance within the company.
Great place to work part time
Associate (Former Employee), Belleville, ONApril 15, 2015
Hours of dedication assisting consumers interested in home renovation. Learned about all the different materials available to repair and replace existing things around the house. As well, identified customer needs in determining tools required for the job at hand. Management was always around to help with any concerns. Co-workers were friendly and knowledgeable. The hardest part of the job was being on your feet all day. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customer find the products they were looking for.
Great environment
Electrical Associate (Current Employee), Guelph, ONApril 13, 2015
my knowledge for my department and sometimes others gets tested everyday. The associates are great to work with and I love talking about electrical
home depot claims to put employees first because "WE" are the key to the companies success. Management could care less about us as employees.
Tool Technician / Mechanic (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 13, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: tons
i am a full time employee and still found it difficult to make ends meat. i requested so schedule changes so i could have another job. i was refused my request and told that if i want another job i will neeed to change my status to part time. i feel like there is no point in them asking our availability because they just defecate all over it anyhow. the people i worked with are great and very friendly. upper management is a joke, and what they dont realize is the sales of the store has nothing to with them, if they were all to take a month long vacation, all operations and sales will remain the same.
productive and fun place to work
Flooring associate (Current Employee), Coquitlam, BCApril 12, 2015
great place to work but money is not enough. good job for retirement or second part time job. everybody is friendly. great place to work but money is not enough. good job for retirement or second part time job. everybody is friendly. great place to work but money is not enough. good job for retirement or second part time job. everybody is friendly. great place to work but money is not enough. good job for retirement or second part time job. everybody is friendly. great place to work but money is not enough. good job for retirement or second part time job. everybody is friendly. great place to work but money is not enough. good job for retirement or second part time job. everybody is friendly. great place to work but money is not enough. good job for retirement or second part time job. everybody is friendly.
Very respectful to employees
Flooring Sales Specialist (Current Employee), London, ONApril 11, 2015
Pros: Profit sharing, benifits
Cons: retail
good place to work and learn, worked in multiple departments, selling paint, décor (windows treatment and wallpaper) and flooring.
An Average Workplace
Part-Time Lot Associate (Former Employee), Markham, ONApril 11, 2015
Pros: Great coworkers, Good atmosphere, Average pay and decent benefits
Cons: Management blunders, Retail, Short hours per week
This was my first job and for the two years I've worked there, it was an average experience overall.

Jobs in retail aren't easy, especially since there is pressure to serve customers and make sure they leave happy. My task involved cleaning up the lot and helping customers load up their new purchases.

The hours I got per week fluctuated from 12-25h after the first 3 months, and the ever changing management made it difficult to ask for more. The changing management also forced us to work some days understaffed and added significant workloads for everyone. The coworkers do make the job worthwhile though since they are friendly and personable.

Pay was average compared to the workload we were tasked with but the benefits were decent.

If you are looking for your first job or just a job in general, Home Depot would be a decent place to start since they are always in need of front-end associates.
Great Place to Work
Merchandising Executive Team (MET) (Former Employee), Ajax, ONApril 9, 2015
Pros: Great benefit
Cons: Hard to get hired
Amazing work environment regardless of the jobs, very kind and open to diverse people. They treat you like family and are motivated to work for the company
Interesting and exciting place to work.
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 8, 2015
Pros: Learning about different departmets
Cons: Late night shifts and/or working full weekends.
There are many roles on plays while working at Home Depot and you both meet and work with a wide range of characters. There is always something to learn in this business due to the many different departments and the knowledge and skills required in each.
EA to CFO/VP Supply Chain & Sr. Director Finance (Current Employee), DVPApril 8, 2015
Pros: flexible hours, team relationships, culture
Cons: long hours
A typical work day at the Executive level, priorities constantly changing, calendar management, responding to e-mail and correspondence (internal/external), Editing, proff reading complying presentations, complex tarvelbooking, hotels, agendas, meeting prep. Events management, Culure of the emploees is great, team relations is great,

Winding down at the end of the day is hard, the most enjoyable part is the great rapport I have with my superiors and the team.
You'll Be Chasing That Twinkie Forever
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Millstream, VictoriaApril 7, 2015
Pros: $5.00 Lunches on Fridays
Cons: Managment that cares only about themselves
Management leads its associates on forever telling them they'll get more hours, a raise, more training, but it never happens. When they do want you to train they make you train while your on the sales floor but if you miss one customer they poo all over you.
Basically they feed you a bunch of sugar coated lies and then when you show initiative and or when they feel they could have someone else in that position at min wage you get the boot for whatever reason they choose. Employees start out happy but end up very bitter and depressed from working there.
co workers
Receiver Manager (Former Employee), Coquitlam, BCApril 5, 2015
Pros: excellent co workers
Cons: mangement control with inventory
We are team players and discussed all issues as a group,if errors were made I made sure training was included to make sure that this would not happen again as we all know the errors start at the receiving doors.
Good for now
At Home Depot I assist cutomers (Current Employee), PlumbingApril 2, 2015
Good place to work and friendly people. Good benefits even if you are part time. Management treat you well. Good place for students to work while in school.
Good opening to the job world
Sales associate (Former Employee), 130 ave SE CalgaryMarch 31, 2015
Pros: operating forklifts and the people I got to work with
Cons: the rude or ignorant people that would come in. It was draining to work with them, and still be polite and considerate. In the end it is their money and their decision.
It was the first job that I ever had, I knew I had to go in and work hard. I found it also to be a great learning opportunity to learn how to react and talk to different people everyday. It was something that was foreign to me as well as out of my comfort zone. I had great co-workers when I was there and one even become one of my closest friends. I often return there for shopping, because I know some of the staff and enjoy talking to them as well as I know my way around that particular store. It really gave me a different view for shopping because I was on the other side and know what it can be like. The hardest part about the job was when it was busy, you had to run around so much and juggle 10 different things. It was a hard balance, because I wanted to give the best service I could to each person, but at the same time I wanted to be quick and try to help everyone I could. The best part of that job was the people I got to work with, especially some of the older ones, they had to much knowledge and there was always something to learn, or a funny story to hear. As well I also got trained to operate the fork lifts, which I can't really complain about.
Great people to work with - management was a problem
part-time associate (Former Employee), Dartmouth, NSMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Awesome co-workers
Cons: Political in-fighting within management
While I worked at Home Depot they were going through some growing pains. It was upsetting for management, middle-management and the regular staff. The business moved from a much-loved location to Dartmouth Crossing - the first business in that park and it seemed like it was in the middle of nowhere. There was a lot of infighting and unhappiness. There were many good people who left during this period because everything seemed so unsettled. I have always loved the people I worked with & have remained friends with many of them since leaving.
Interesting
Customer Service / Sales associate (Former Employee), Orleans, ONMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Simple work, easy to learn.
Cons: Lived in an area where I had to walk an hour to/from work.
Work was simple, workers were friendly for the most part, management was nice but they were not usually the brightest when it came to working smart, they usually just delegated work out that could have been done in a much simpler fashion should the proper tools have been provided.

1 2 3 4 5

About Home Depot

The Home Depot is the global leader in home improvement and fourth largest retailer in the world. Providing superior customer – Read more