Home Depot
14,530 reviews

Home Depot Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and lots of material to learn from SAP and management
IT Consultant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 30, 2015
Pros: Free food
Cons: Long hours
hardest part of the job is when SAP is down, we support over 180 stores across CANADA that creates backlogs and lots of unsatisfied customers.
Long Term Employee
Appliance associate, Kitchen / Bath , Plumbing (Former Employee), British ColumbiaAugust 29, 2015
Pros: Pay, benefits
Cons: ridiculous scheduling with little respect for the associate
Firstly...no place is perfect. For over 5 years I worked at the Home Depot as a part time associate. Over that time I mastered almost every department. I am not boasting but my desire to learn new retail – more... methods encouraged me to a very high level of customer service. Comparing retail of today what it was 35 years ago to today....
1) Better pay
2) Better benefits
3) Lazier people
4) A terrible work / life balance.
5) Majority of associates not savvy in basic knowledge and even poorer customers.
6)Very arrogant customers lacking respect and integrity
7)Success sharing that was pitiful compared to a nice employee discount.
8) Higher expectations for management created by unruly customers.
9) Ethnic change that was huge
10) Open on holidays and Sunday (bad, very bad)

To summerize, a good basic place to work temporarly. Unfortunately Home Depot does not create a career oriented place of work due to foolish schedules and poor management. Close Sundays, say "no" to continual returns. Build a respectful relationship with customer and associate. Their scheduling is poor at best, years ago it was simple but today they create a confusing system. This by far is the worst dynamic of Home Depot. One last point...stop buying Chinese products only North American. – less
okay work enviroment
Delivery Coordinator/Night Freight team (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONAugust 25, 2015
Pros: flexible
Cons: poorly managed
it is a okay place if you want to work part time but I would not recommend anyone work there fulltime. The head aches and things you have to deal with isn't worth the wage
Excellent and Very Welcoming
Sales Associate in Electrical (Current Employee), Cambridge, ONAugust 21, 2015
Pros: Weekend Special Lunches, Contests, Excellent Training
The people that work there are very friendly and welcome with open arms, greeted every day by other associates. All around welcoming.
Great place to work for students
FLOORING & DECOR ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 21, 2015
Pros: tuition grant
Cons: unreasonable availability requirements
Benefits help to pay for tuition, and scheduling requirements help maintain a steady flow of income during school. Good place to learn valuable DIY skills that everyone should know
Customer Service
Sales associate assisting customers (Current Employee), Woodstock, ONAugust 21, 2015
Pros: You are part of a team
Cons: Long periods of standing
Excellent training programs, not only relating to product knowledge but also on how to deliver superior customer service.

Top flight management, managers who are prepared to work hand in hand with sales associates.

At work you are part of a team, if you can't do it, someone is always there to help, and you still get credit for what you do.
Amazing work culture , fun to work
Associate Crew Member (Current Employee), Markham EastAugust 19, 2015
Pros: flexible working hours, good work environment
Cons: pay
Excellent Team Members and Good working environment to work with , the management is supportive and have flexible working hours and the company truly follows what they state in their DNA.
You Are Not An Orange Apron
MET Associate (Former Employee), Ontario, CanadaAugust 17, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: MET
Worked there two years ago. MET is looked on as the mentally challenged cousin in the Home Depot family. MET Mgnt flat out told me that I was not an orange apron and that I was not to consider myself as such. I couldn't wait to leave within a month of starting. Home Depot seems like a great company, but stay away from MET.
bad place to work
Lot Associate (Former Employee), Burlington, ONAugust 16, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: horrible place to work
i would not tell anybody to go work at home depot garbage company. stabb people on the back management is garbage.

i worled there 10 years and garbage pay unfreindly mangement and people
Productive, and fun workplace with great employes
Sale associate in electrical (Former Employee), Sudbury ONAugust 12, 2015
Pros: great hours
Cons: computer system
Go into work, grab the returns for my department, put away, do pack down, help customers, learned a lot about new things, management was always there to help if you needed it, co-workers always there to help also, hardest part of job finding product customer can not find and it has 1 left, most enjoyable part of the job is when you help a customer with what they need and they leave happy.
Productive and fun working environment
❸ Part-time Cashier (Current Employee), boltonAugust 11, 2015
Pros: flexible work hours
Cons: not enough hours
Home Depot is a very fun working environment where everyone is treated as equals, and voices and opinions are heard. Typically, customers are great, working to help customers who appreciate our efforts make coming to work very pleasant.
Worked with a great bunch of people.
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 11, 2015
Great place to work to learn some life skills. Many different departments to learn new skills. Lumber, flooring, kitchens, bathrooms plumbing etc. etc.
Work needs to be done
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 5, 2015
Very chaotic work environment
Rude customers
Clueless management
Training is to be desired
Lack of leadership
There is no opportunity for advancement when you are part time.
Review Summary
Cashier (Former Employee), CalgaryAugust 4, 2015
no mater how much you give you don't meet their expectations.
typical day is okay dealing with different people and experience deferent way of dealing with people to meet costumer satisfaction.
Great Place to Learn
Design Consultant (Former Employee), Kitchen DesignerAugust 3, 2015
Great place to learn the aspects of kitchen design, installation, project coordination. Here, I got to view the project development and installation from the view point of the installers.
A COMPLETE BUNCH OF SCAMERS
Nighttime Replenishment (Former Employee), Red DeerJuly 30, 2015
And the award for 'The Shadiest Cheapskates To Work For' goes to.......The Home Depot!!! Congratulations, you are ranked number one! For your ability to sleep at night knowing, and doing nothing about – more... how underpaid your workers are! Also, for using your employees like disposable scapegoats. You've mastered the art of distraction by presenting the 'customer first' image while continuing to walk all over the millions of people that keep your stores running. The ones that keep money in your pocket!Awesome business sense Home Depot! A+ Corporate American Goofs – less
Productive place to for for.
Shipper/Receiver/Freight team (Former Employee), RichmondJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Great working environment.
At the Home depot I learned how to drive the forklift, reach truck and order picker. My coworkers were very nice and friendly, and I was able to experience working over night from 9 pm to 7 am. I enjoyed learning how to drive the many different types of machines. My regular day was entering work at close, we had a daily meeting then we stocked the shelves and moved products to different locations.
bleeding orange
Receiving Supervisor (Former Employee), Victoria, BCJuly 21, 2015
very interesting culture...if at an associate level, the job is great for students, or semi retired persons. if seeking a career that you want to last until retirement, ensure you apply for positions that will help you grow with the company.
Great Co-workers but pay/benefits are horrible
Cashier, Returns, Customer Service (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 21, 2015
Was overall a good experience and a stepping stone. Hours more generate towards the younger crowd if in school and older crowd who know the industry better. Although the pay is horrible and they have hardly any full-time staff due to the fact they do not wish to fork out benefits.
Friendly staff, good management.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJuly 19, 2015
A typical day at work on Cash/Returns:
Inform supervisor of arrival
Either:
Open till
Ring through customer transactions

Or:
Open returns desk
Organize returns possibly left by person before
 – more...
Clean up area
As customers approach, listen to their problem with the product (if any), inspect the product, process returns,RTV's and write offs (based on situation).
Communicate with co-workers to assist customers further, and pick up product.

A day on the service desk:
Go to desk and open till
Look on computer of any orders that need to be filled, or customers to be called
Print off paper work
Fill orders
Sign out orders
Create orders
Answer and transfer calls
Call customers to inform them once their orders are ready.

Home Depot taught me the value of good customer service, and other problem solving strategies. I also learnt many other skills like processing credit card applications and how to balance multiple customers from all of my departments at once, while ensuring maximum customer satisfaction. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About Home Depot

The Home Depot is the global leader in home improvement and fourth largest retailer in the world. Providing superior customer – Read more