Home Depot
11,979 reviews

Home Depot Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good bunch of people to work with.
Cashier/Lumber Door Cashier (Current Employee), Courtenay, BCMarch 1, 2015
Great benefits.
Good people.
Happy atmosphere.
Very busy establishment.
Customer oriented.
Very helpful staff.
The store is expanding and getting a make over.
A good place too meet people and learn
Serving as Flooring and Décor Specialty Associate (Current Employee), Lethbridge, ABFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: hour long lunches
Cons: crazy turn-over rate
I really enjoy working with people, so much so that I gained my own personal group of clients that request me. I love learning, fact checking, and stretching around to know more about other departments in the store. I like helping my co-workers and being aware of where the day should be headed (i.e: Schedules, lunch breaks, etc..).

Unfortunately, the management neglects to follow their own rules. They leave dangerous areas unlocked, and never answer the help phone. The support from the management team is lacking.

Advancement is non-existent if you are already good at your job. They won't allow you to stretch out and learn more areas if they feel you are needed in your primary department, and since staffing is never certain or up to par, you will always be needed. You will go whole days without any support, 8 hour shifts with no help.

The hardest part about working there is the amount of back-biting from associates and managers alike. Things like "there is a firing coming soon" or "I won't allow anymore people like that in my department" are common place.

It is a mixture of delight and frustration.

I am sorry to say.
Heavy lifting, customer service, recieving, busy
Lot, and Fulfilment Associate (Former Employee), Brockville, ONFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: all ways kept busy, i personally liked helping customers find excatly what they were looking for, driving forktrucks, active job, part time benifets
Cons: lack of training, hard to get any advancements, early mornings 5 am start time, to frequent change in employees and management, low wages
A typical day world start off with doing all the safety checklists for any and all equipment for example - ladders, life equipment like forklifts and reach trucks, sliding power doors and any other safety equipment and power equipment. following this I would collect missing product reports and was responsible for finding any lost product throughout the store. Unloading any incoming product shipments into the receiving area. After products were received delivering product to correct departments for product placement. Product placement. Keeping the parking lot clean and professional looking at all times as well as loading customer purchases into there vehicle's. Gathering any customer orders for deliveries and finally customer service. The most enjoyable part of this job has to be always having something to keep you busy and occupied for during the shift.
Productive work setting with lots to learn
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee), Markham, OntarioFebruary 24, 2015
Focussing on customer service, inventory management, and sales. A busy work atmosphere with lots of skills to be learned. Diverse work force with motivated management.
A great sense of frienship and equality
Cashier (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: management always made sure you had your scheduled breaks through your shift
My typical day at work at the Home Depot was always fun, happy and enjoyable. I learned how to work under high pressure during the busy season. The management team at Home Depot was great, they were very kind and understanding to all their employees. My co-workers and I got along great, there was never a dull moment during a typical work day. We were always making new friends with employees every day. The hardest part of the job would have been that during my employment at Home Depot, I was due to have a baby and during my pregnancy it was difficult for me to stand up for long periods due to my swelling and high blood pressure. The most enjoyable part of the job was that everyone always got along with each other, and that the customers were always so kind to each and every associate, for the most part.
awsoem lunch room
Co-op Student (Former Employee), Burlington, ONFebruary 22, 2015
picking orders helping customers
learned alot about building supplies and how to build decks and rooms
management leaves you alone unless needed
great people to work with
Supposedly a team orientated workplace
Lot Associate (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: too many to count
Except for a select few good managers who actually care the others are doing a very poor job or are deciding to make everyone's day a misery and it comes to question how they ever got the job.
good work environment, friendly, safe
Merchandiser (Former Employee), Collingwood, OntarioFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: good work environment, safe, friendly, reliable
Cons: long hours
I worked night shifts and the one thing I learned was I do not enjoy working night shifts. However it was a good company to work for, very friendly and overall good work environment. the work day/night was very straight forward, two small breaks throughout the shift. employees get to interact with each other and do work at the same time.
good
Lot Attendant (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCFebruary 20, 2015
A lot of customers are in your face and will not take no for an answer, having to keep your cool is a must.
There are a lot of products you will have to know and the area as well
Don't expect to pay your bills with this job
Night freight team associate (Current Employee), Thunder BayFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: some free food
Cons: no hours unpredictable shifts
I'm a night shift associate. I absolutely love my job and would love to keep it. I am working in the slow season now where all part time employees at night are getting one shift a week or in my case less. I keep getting told it will get better but it has been months. All that is offered by home depot is daytime customer service jobs at not much more time than I have. Its a great place to work and when I started I had a reliable 4 days a week but they do not support you as a valued team member when it means they will lose a dime. I have been very disappointed by the company.
Good position to work for the summer only
Flooring Associate (Current Employee), Scarborough, ONFebruary 20, 2015
Cons: low pay
i am currently work at home depot as a sales associate but started off as a lot associate. There are a lot of other things you need to do that are not in you job description as taking out the garbage from the lot as well as lunchroom etc.( varies from store to store) Removing tarp off lumber lifts when they are received which is fine in the summer time but in the white it hard. A lot of times your under staff and have to run around like crazy going peoples dirty work. although it is a great place to work if you move to any other position out of that.
Great job for students
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Guelph, ONFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule.
Cons: lower wage for associates.
The best thing about the Home Depot is that the work schedule is very flexible for students! Generally, I found the atmosphere to be very positive, and there is lots of opportunity to learn new things.
A retail business setting with high regard on customer service.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Eglinton Avenue East. Scarborough OntarioFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: meeting varous peoples.
Cons: limited chance for full time work
A day at work always starts at safety checks, making sure all the machines are in safe condition for use or reported if otherwise. The aisle and my work place should be hazard free, neat and clean, presentable for workmates and customers alike.
As the day progress, various customers would have been meeting up with me with varied situations needing help or advise on their projects. It would range from seasoned contractors learning new products to Do-it-yourself homeowners who needs to know how to go about the work.
Having able to help my customers by giving them the appropriate product and the know how to use it properly is an small achievement. Seeing them comeback, either to repurchase of just to show and talk about the end result of their projects is personally rewarding.
Brief Work Summary
Sales Associate/Kitchen Designer (Current Employee), Halifax, NSFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: company paid benefits.
Cons: low pay scale for the hard work and lifting we do.
I sell, educate customers on instore products. I'm open-minded and always willing to help my fellow associates and cutomers. I enjoy eduated others and helping them suceed.
Take on new information with ease and like to learn about other department in the store. I enjoy providing great customer service and
have obtained numerous awards for my service.
Great place to learn and grow
Kitchen & Bath Associate full time nightcrew (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: bonus free meals with extra workloads.
Cons: na
My first month on the job was all training. Home Depot is aall about job safety. Excellent place to learn about all aspects of home improvement. The hours given are generous and your pay raises are earned by the work you provide. They have great social gatherings that bring store personnel together. All my coworkers were very helpful and friendly and management treated everyone with respect and fairness. The workload was always done with safety in mind and workers were encouraged to grow.
Overnight Freight Team Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 16, 2015
 Stocked merchandise onto shelves to achieve 100% in stock.
 Packed-out and packed-down merchandise as directed
 Merchandised new items as directed, including building end caps and promotions.
 Broke down and disposed trash by end of shift
 Maintained aisle cleanliness and shop-ability
good place to work
fullfillment (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: acknowment of jobs done wel
Cons: early hours
talking to customers and stocking shelfs and running equipment. People were good to work with, worked with many different people. people were great to work with. the wierd hours that were work for fullfilment
Good place to start work with
Cashier (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 12, 2015
The management and the co workers are good and helpful. The only hardest part athome depot is that they provide part time positions. But the most enjoyable part at work is that you are never bored and the time passes very fast with busy days all the time. You meet new people every day.
Friendly environment
Cashier, Customer Service, Return Specialist (Current Employee), York RegionFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: the surprise us with free pizza, fresh fruit and bbqs through out the year
Cons: no full time hours available
This is one of the best places I have worked. They care about both the customers and staff. The customers are friendly and there is always someone there to make you laugh if you are having a bad day. I look forward to going into work.
Great employee appreciation.
Cashier (Former Employee), Peterborough , OntarioFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: health benefits coverage
Cons: odd scheduling / no hours in winter/spring
Perks like free lunches once in a while. Hours are cut drastically in winter/spring. Scheduling is all over the place. One day you could be working for a 5 hour and 15 minute opening shift and then the next day you could be working a 6 hr and 45 minute closing shift. If you are working in the winter don't be surprised if your suppose to work a 8 hour shift and they drop it down to a 4 hour shift.Associates and management are pretty friendly.

1 2 3 4 5

About Home Depot

The Home Depot is the global leader in home improvement and fourth largest retailer in the world. Providing superior customer – Read more