Home Depot Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,172 reviews matching the search
Productive and fun
Sales Associate - Part-time (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKMay 4, 2016
Home depot demands high energy, evolving knowledge, on the job training and knowing the products and services. I learned a lot about home renovations and can now advise on some common projects with much ease. Awesome management that gives respect and lots of energy that trickles down to the team and keeps everyone motivated. Hardest part of the job is long hours while on any given day you can enjoy self-satisfaction.
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
outlets never close
Good for Management, that's about it.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCMay 5, 2016
My time at Home Depot was an insight into what Managment is suppose to do, and thats not because of excellent work. There was more concern over corporate politics and favouritism then anything else, leaving people at the bottom of the chain either paranoid of making mistakes or so safeguarded by their higher ups that they could do next to nothing for eight hours with no consequence.The only upside is benifits are good for an entry level job. No matter what your work ethic or customer service skill though, Home Depot will make you feel like just another disposible cog in the machine.
There is a great emphasis on "teamwork" and an understanding of the company policies and procedures
Customer Service Associate, and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABMay 17, 2016
I enjoyed the fact that when I did begin my employment with Home Depot, there was a great amount of training to advance my skills and make me more knowledgeable of my position. There was a lot of support from co-workers and Management
Pros
Training, free lunches and inservices
Cons
customer service desk was at times "stressful", as unlike cashier who simply runs purchases through till, Customer Service basically deals with returns and unhappy customers
great place to work
Full time Flooring and decor sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCApril 16, 2016
never a dull day helping customers all day is very satisfying working to find the perfect flooring solution for your customers.
I have learned time management, fork lift skills, first aid and great sales skills .
management are great they support your job development and growth as a person and an associate.
my coworkers are the greatest group of people I've ever worked with
supportive and driven.
the hardest part of my job is when you see a person leave with the wrong product and wont change to a suitable one.
seeing the final project completed a lot of my customers come back to show me the final project.
Pros
training and long term
Cons
Okay as part time employement while in school
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  OntarioApril 14, 2016
Home Depot isn't for everyone. After being an associate for 5 years at the same store this is how I feel...

No flexibility in availability- you have to basically be full flex weekdays and weekends. Your schedule will be all over the place from 6am-11pm.

Pay isn't enough for what you do. I can say being there for 5 years and I barely make more than new associates coming in which isn't right as a full time employee.

Management varies - you'll have some good ones and some bad ones.

There isn't much appreciation for the hard work we put in every single day.

It's always lots of hard work but very little pay

Pros
The people working there, success sharing
Cons
Safety shoes, 9hr shifts, low pay, schedule
Great if you would like to learn so new skills. Poor for anything else.
Paint Associate (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ONMay 20, 2016
This is a standard retail job. You can learn a lot about maintaining a home if you get put in the right position. However if you have a close friends and family, are looking to pay the bills without stress of a fluctuating paycheck, or looking for some structure in your life, this isn't the job for you unless you plan to get into management.
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Bad management, poor pay, poor hours, poor hr.
Productive nights, and long hours.
Freight Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 26, 2016
5 days a week, 8 hours a night, I worked night shifts, every day of the week, including weekends. Co-workers were well informative, and very helpful. I learned it is very important to stay on task, and do your assigned job, as instructed to do so, without any complaints. It is important to keep a positive work attitude, and stay on track with your hours, if not, it could affect you in the long run.
Pros
Lunch Breaks were good
Cons
Long hours.
The Home Depot
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONMay 2, 2016
The Home Depot has taught me diversity, time management, leadership, and independence.

The hardest part of the job was learning and remembering all the different departments and merchandise that comes in each said department.

The most enjoyable part of my job was definitely the customers. Home Depot has some of the most loyal, honest, kindest and understanding customers I have ever witnessed out of all my years in retail.
Great Job Awesome Benefits.
CUSTOMER SERVICE HOME SENSE (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 31, 2016
Typical day at work would be greeting customers, answering their questions/concerns, directing them where they need to go and cashing them out. I have learned that the customer is always right, even if there is a misunderstanding. Being polite, thanking the customer and great customer service are all great aspects to keep the customer satisfied and coming back.

Management and co-workers are great at Home Depot. Everyone is friendly and professional. The cons at work would be delayed lunch schedules and low staff on busy days.

Best part of my job is hearing back compliments from a customer from management and knowing that the customer walks away satisfied.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
delayed lunch schedule
Fun atmosphere, friendly customers
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMay 19, 2016
Typical day: customer service, refilling low stock, some tasking, setting up display patio furniture, safety spotting heavy machinery

Learned about merchandise (which is always useful since they sell home improvement equipment and necessities) and garden care in the Garden Centre.

Management were supportive and friendly, but there were occasionally communication issues.

Hardest part of the job: there is a lot to know about a lot of merchandise, (in any department), heavy lifting.

Most enjoyable part of the job: friendly co-workers, helping customers and solving problems.
Pros
Some free lunches, management awards good work, happy atmosphere
Cons
Not many tasks during off-peak hours, hours can go late (11 pm), hectic during peak hours
Fun and fulfilling but little room for advancement
Paint Associate (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONMarch 16, 2016
The environment is great, parties and meetings are genuinely fun. Management is warm and understanding of personal issues. Scheduling is fair and usually made up to 3 weeks in advance, which is very nice and hours are generally good. Pay is competitive and benefits are as well. All-in-all a great place to work, my only complaint would be the lack of room for advancement. Due to the high number of people who stay past retiring age, I've found that there is little room to advance your position unless you are making a life long commitment to the company. That being said, students can cross train in different departments for more hours, which is also nice.
Pros
Fun environment, good management
Cons
Lack of room for advancement
fun with the supportive Teams
Merchandiser Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 22, 2016
-stocking product to shelf so customer can buy their needs, i learned that no matter what customer is always right and you have to value their opinion,the management is good too.very supportive to the employee to the work standard,the team is very supportive o each other,the hardest part of the job is is you have to get up so early to work,i always enjoy with my job
an interesting problem or scenario always around the corner
PRO DESK AND LUMBER ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABMarch 2, 2016
typically, my day alternates between customer service, building project estimates, picking orders, operating machinery, and various other tasks. Everything I know of civilian construction was learned here from generic construction practices to woodwork and concrete work. The most enjoyable part of is solving various problems.
Pros
small town/ familial environment
Cons
scheduling sometimes inconvenient
Always busy.
Special Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 29, 2016
The day started early. All day I was busy, there was always work to do. I very much enjoyed being busy. I worked alone a lot of the time until the second person got there later in the day and I have to multi-task a lot. I dealt with customers everyday and in good and not so good scenarios but was able to handle it most of the time. If i couldn't I could send them to someone who could help them.
Learnt alot from the Pit of Sharks
Pro Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONFebruary 28, 2016
I used to call the Pro Desk a pit of sharks cause the Pro Desk Associates were always so serious... but that was until I was sent to work there, they turned out to be nice friendly sharks. They were vegetarians. I have learnt so much from them, Cause they shared their information and experiences with me. I didn't think I could learn so much information at once, they made their work and knowledge seem so easy and that they were their forever. Thank you Guys at the Home Depot at 7011 Pro Desk Guys/Sharks, but nice.
Pros
Friendly Customers
Cons
Not enough Hours
Fulfilling, challenging environment
Seasonal Sales Associate (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  10885 Leslie St, Richmond Hill, ON L4S 0B2February 28, 2016
Home Depot nurtured employees which were capable of being independent, hard working individuals. In a regular day each associate alongside a few colleagues managed their respective sections, making sure customers are kept happy and that the environment was clean and welcoming. Management and colleagues were very professional and caring people, which led to a great working environment.
Pros
Great working hours
Cons
Seasonal employment
Just O.K...NOT great place to work!
merchandising rep. (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCApril 15, 2016
Took this job initally as I assumed that I was to learn about Home-renovations and all that that entails...WRONG..basically, the position is one of a glorified janitor...Dusting and stocking/facing displays through-out the entire store, which includes working in the cold/frost out-doors in winter months..Applied for the overnite position at another location..Being a NEW position with-in the same department, the managers were NOT certain of the actual details of the position...The shift was VERY long...10 hours/ 4 nights week...Unless your a "night-owl" and can stay awake around the clock. 9 p.m. thru 7;30 am the following day I DO NOT recommend this job.
Pros
Off from 7:30 a.m.Friday to 9 p.m the following Monday...Full benifits.
Cons
Brutal long-hours..Falling asleep driving home...NOT being able to sleep during the day.
Great employer-employee relationship
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONApril 18, 2016
Great culture to begin your career at, they offer great benefits for those that are part time as well as full time. At a store level, all associates are treated equally and fairly and in confidence can voice their opinions and be heard.
Pros
great benefits, flexible schedules and management that encourages growth
Cons
Some tasks can by physically demanding
Good for a retail job, but still retail
Lumber Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 15, 2016
The Home Depot has a very enthusiastic work environment. The management is very respectful and there is a lot of thought put into the basic clerk's contribution to the company. Success Sharing is an integral part of the income that each clerk receives, and part-time and full time employees both qualify for certain insurance coverage with Manulife.
Pros
Success sharing, good management, encouraging work environment
Cons
Retail, long hours, inconsistent scheduling
Good place to work with good benefits
Sale Associate in the Seasonal Department (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCFebruary 12, 2016
Is a good place to work. You have to be ready to be on your feet most of the hours worked. You can't be scared of hard work for the salary they pay. You have to know your products you are selling or you can't be a great salesman/woman.

Other associates are great!! They are friendly and willing to help when needed.

Working with customers is great! You get the one on one interaction. You can get the odd person who had horrible service but it is your job to fix that problem.
Pros
Free Lunches, Awards Programs, Great Benefits
Cons
Odd hours but little flexible