Home Depot
12,411 reviews

Home Depot Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good opening to the job world
Sales associate (Former Employee), 130 ave SE CalgaryMarch 31, 2015
Pros: operating forklifts and the people I got to work with
Cons: the rude or ignorant people that would come in. It was draining to work with them, and still be polite and considerate. In the end it is their money and their decision.
It was the first job that I ever had, I knew I had to go in and work hard. I found it also to be a great learning opportunity to learn how to react and talk to different people everyday. It was something that was foreign to me as well as out of my comfort zone. I had great co-workers when I was there and one even become one of my closest friends. I often return there for shopping, because I know some of the staff and enjoy talking to them as well as I know my way around that particular store. It really gave me a different view for shopping because I was on the other side and know what it can be like. The hardest part about the job was when it was busy, you had to run around so much and juggle 10 different things. It was a hard balance, because I wanted to give the best service I could to each person, but at the same time I wanted to be quick and try to help everyone I could. The best part of that job was the people I got to work with, especially some of the older ones, they had to much knowledge and there was always something to learn, or a funny story to hear. As well I also got trained to operate the fork lifts, which I can't really complain about.
Great people to work with - management was a problem
part-time associate (Former Employee), Dartmouth, NSMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Awesome co-workers
Cons: Political in-fighting within management
While I worked at Home Depot they were going through some growing pains. It was upsetting for management, middle-management and the regular staff. The business moved from a much-loved location to Dartmouth Crossing - the first business in that park and it seemed like it was in the middle of nowhere. There was a lot of infighting and unhappiness. There were many good people who left during this period because everything seemed so unsettled. I have always loved the people I worked with & have remained friends with many of them since leaving.
Interesting
Customer Service / Sales associate (Former Employee), Orleans, ONMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Simple work, easy to learn.
Cons: Lived in an area where I had to walk an hour to/from work.
Work was simple, workers were friendly for the most part, management was nice but they were not usually the brightest when it came to working smart, they usually just delegated work out that could have been done in a much simpler fashion should the proper tools have been provided.
Best Part-Time Job
Cashier (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 29, 2015
I enjoyed my three years at Home Depot.

My co-workers were amazing and still friends with them to this day.

Very flexible hours.

Learnt alot of the customer service aspect of a business.
Department supervisor
Millwork Department Supervisor (Former Employee), Regina, SKMarch 28, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: wages, shifts, too many demands on dept. supervisors day, no promotions
I loved my job! A typical day was filled with reports, customers, great staff and good old fashioned physical work. It was fun to be part of a group of people that wanted to present the best store possible, and they took pride in giving the best customer service possible. The part that we all hated was the inability of the management team to communicate, to make and follow consistent policies, and to be part of the whole store team. I feel like the manager had been in place far too long, and favortism was everywhere. Home Depot had once been a company that you could move up in fairly quickly, but I found that in Saskatchewan that was no longer possible. I was laid off after a manager restructured the store, only to find out 3 months later that my job had been posted..I am not bitter as I have moved on to greater things, but I am sad that a company that was fun to work at, had great career choices, and great benefits had moved to such a war zone at one point, and that a manager could let politics tear a place up. All good businesses succeed if they have a great management team that trusts and works with their staff!!
productive and a very fun work place
Shipping and Receiving (Current Employee), Etobicoke, ONMarch 27, 2015
Pros: free BBQ every 2 months
Cons: sometimes long nights
once i get to work i collect my paperwork and start unloading the trailers and checking merchandise to get it ready to be put away I learned how to operate different machines which i dirent no I no home depot got great management team every body gets along with one another. My co-workers are great great bunch of guys to have around we all get along with one another we see eye to eye. The hardest part of my job is sometimes when I'm alone i have to pickup heavy stuff from the ground and theres no one there to help The most enjoyable part of my job is my co-workers great bunch of guys love working with yhem
fun place
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Burlington, ONMarch 26, 2015
Pros: great people, lots of work activities, fun job all together
Cons: sometimes there is no one to ask for help, must make your own decisions
working cash may get boring at slow times.
lumber doors and garden cashes are very lonely
management is very good but must be self sufficient because there won't be someone around to ask questions all the time
returns was very busy made the time go by fast
good place to work
Sales (Current Employee), Squamish, BCMarch 25, 2015
I have been employed with this company for 8 years. I Have had the opportunity to move around in the company. There is always room to grow in this company
a survival job
Freight Team Associate / Night Crew (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 25, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: pt time & no flexibility
this is a survival job.
my co-workers are great & that helps for the reason. I am a people person & i get along with all of them
Receiving (Former Employee), Ancaster, OntarioMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Pay check
Cons: Lucky to get more than 20 days of work a week.
Too many managers not enough communication between them and the stuff.
Hardest part of the job for me was management contradicting not taking responsibility for their actions.
Best part of the job was how busy it kept me.
Fun workplace for students
Cashier/ Sales associate (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONMarch 23, 2015
Pros: assisting customer
Cons: working outdoors depending on your department
I would recommend this company to students or those who need part time work. As a cashier, the hours were compatible with my life outside work. It is highly beneficial to work in a department such as seasonal or lumber.
A good working enviroment
Tool Rental Associate (Current Employee), Windsor, ONMarch 23, 2015
It tends to be busy during the summer, learnt a lot about common tool. The management is pretty good. Certain co-workers are good to work with, some are not.
I really enjoyed this job!
Project Coordinator/ Project Expeditor (Former Employee), Orillia, ONMarch 22, 2015
this was a great job! I had a lot of fun, and would be willing to go back and work there anytime! Best job I have ever had. management was awesome so was the staff
Terrible Place to work.
Merchandising Execution Team (Current Employee), Chatham, ONMarch 21, 2015
Pros: good benefits, hours, fellow co-workers
Cons: everything else
Worst Company I have every worked for. My job is a very simple cleaning job but always made to be like your saving the world. They love to drag everything out and make it more difficult than it should be. There is no respect for you from anybody there.
Summer Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Lloydminster, SKMarch 18, 2015
Summer job while away visitng family. Enjoyed working with co-workers and learning new skills.
Hardest part of the job was learning the various departments.
Great Place to work in Customer Service
Sales Associate (Former Employee), St. John's , NLMarch 18, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: heavy lifting
Worked in the lumber department while going to College helping customers select their building materials for their projects.
Terrible place
Tool Rental Associate (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 16, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: everything
Management does not know what they are doing. Everyone will tell you to do something different until you get fed up of their incompetence and quit
This is an Alright Place to Work
Cashier (Current Employee), Woodbridge, ONMarch 15, 2015
Pros: nice coworkers--it's like an extended family
Cons: customers are often rude and irritable, nothing works properly
I like my coworkers and enjoy working with them, but the management needs some serious improvement. Also, nearly everything needs to be updated because hardly any of the equipment we use in the store actually works. Half the time the Point of Sale system doesn't work or it freezes up in the middle of transactions. We don't even have the TAP option on our Point of Sale system. A lot of customers often complain about this. Home Depot is a multi-million dollar corporation. So why is it that we can't afford brand new equipment that ACTUALLY works? Most of the time I have to scan items multiple times before the scanner even recognizes the items. Come on. That's just sad.
Management people are fun to be with.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 15, 2015
Pros: free food
Cons: long hours
Typical day at work was helping customers with their needs in the store and making it a fun experience for them. I have learned so much from my co-employees to the managers like how different things work and how customer service should be a priority at the store. The people in the management were awesome since they treated everyone equally and nicely. My co-workers were great people and were very helpful as well. The hardest part of the job was learning the saw for at times it might not be the best you could do for a client. The most enjoyable was having food together with the employees at the store, it was a memorable experience wherein everyone gathers normally to enjoy each other's companies.
A place of learning and self improvement. Enjoyed the diversity.
Merchandising Execution Team (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 12, 2015
The schedule for the MET team was ideal. Monday through Friday - 6:00am - 2:30pm.

Our team consisted of a group of individuals that jelled well together.

Our department supervisor whipped us into shape but often with his tremendous Scottish humor.

During breaks there was often a deal of laughter which is always medicine for the soul

1 2 3 4 5

About Home Depot

The Home Depot is the global leader in home improvement and fourth largest retailer in the world. Providing superior customer – Read more