Home Depot

Home Depot Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fast paced work environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONApril 23, 2013
Pros: fast paced, easy work, easy to learn, medical benefits, short shifts, friendly staff, pays above minimum wage
Cons: short shifts, not student friendly, demanding hours, lots of meetings and nonsense, no employee discount, repetitive work, demanding schedule
As a cashier, THD makes it so that your first (and depending on the time of day, only) priority is taking care of customers and running their transactions through and keeping you focused on that. It's a refreshing change from jobs that not only want you to wait on customers but also to clean and do this and that and the next thing. It's nice to be able to focus on people and not have to worry about everything else going on in the store. This is a very busy location and the job is very fast paced. Working mid-morning through early afternoon is the busiest time. These shifts go by pretty quickly, especially on weekends but, when it is slow, because your duties are limited as a cashier, the time can really drag and it can be very boring just standing around waiting for someone to check out. Evening shifts are generally slower, customer-wise, and they require you to do a bit of light cleaning but nothing too demanding - mostly sweeping floors, changing garbages, dusting and general tidying up. The staff and management are very helpful and friendly. Almost everyone is willing to help you if you have a question or if you don't know how to do something without making you feel bad for not knowing. I have a lot of cashier experience so I didn't necessarily learn any new skills and adjusting to THD's way of doing things and how their tills work was very easy. They have touch screen POS and they have nice large, clear screens and are very easy to use, even if you've never used a register before. Management was okay, as an associate on the front end most of the higher up managers stay out – more... of the way and are usually busy with the various departments. For the most part, the front end basically runs itself. There are head cashiers that act as supervisors for the front end and then a front end manager. Head cashiers are almost all very helpful and friendly and great people to work alongside with. They do things like tend to most issues that come up, get you change if you run out, and such. Front end manager was also good to work with. The hardest part about working at THD is how demanding it is. Although I was a part time employee and worked 25 hours a week I still had to be at the store five days a week. I believe this is an issue about breaks. They don't like to give cashiers anything longer than a five hour shift because at six hours you require a half hour lunch and anything over that it's an hour lunch and they simply don't want to bring in extra people just to cover breaks...Because of this it forces part time employees to work five days a week in order to get their minimum hours. As a full time university student I found this very frustrating. THD boasts that it is student friendly but my university recommends working 10-15 hours a week with a full time schedule and THD refused to let me work anything less than 20 hours/week. Managing both of my school and work responsibilities quickly became very stressful and tiresome. Scheduling is done weeks in advance so it is hard to have your schedule adjusted if a mistake has been made such as being scheduled to work when you're supposed to be in class. Scheduling issues and errors are basically left up to you to sort out on your own. When October rolled around cashiers were told that THD was no longer accepting requests off for December, which was a huge issue for me as December is when my exam period takes place and exams are not scheduled at the same time you have regular classes. I spoke to a member of management about the issue and they basically shrugged it off. This is when I decided to leave THD, as school and work were at odds... I was paying thousands of dollars and living in Peterborough to be in class, not to work at a hardware store. If I didn't have commitments to my university and my education, my experience with THD would probably have been a very different story. This is a company I wouldn't mind working for again, when I have the time and energy to take on the amount of commitment required. – less
resonable job alternative
Tool Rental Associate (Current Employee), Victoria, BCAugust 26, 2014
Pros: good customers, goot employees, lots of activites. good stories.
Cons: bad priorites, cant hold on to employees, god like contractors will walk on yo, broken promises
I started at home depot as a lot attendant im a vary hard worker and vary particular about how i do things so it was a good fit to start with i was 17 at the time and could not go in any other departments at the time. I was originally shooting for the position of tool rental tech which the managers promised me. I did eventually after 2 years move to rentals but not as a tech but as a regular associate being told that i needed to go to special training that they also continued to promise me never got lol. as well as no matter how much i beg for full time i never get it my attempts to show my value to the department are unsuccessful :P This well watching them hire ppl in the positions i want that never last longer then a month often leaving because they cant stand the bs or being fired.

how ever as much as i think i get taken advantage of before this i was at TIm Hortans were i contently got coffee thrown at me or spat at so not exactly the worst place to be, And i do get to still work on the equipment as there simply isn't a tech to do it not to mention the family like enviermint i have met a lot of interesting ppl learned a lot (no thanx to HD Canada) and created a reputation with my regular customers. the only real down side Ive found it home depot seams to purpusly make you look bad in front of contractors crating an enverment were the contractors think i need to give them deal or that the rules don't apply to them...

As a hole i quite like working there it dose have it bad moments but i like helping the customers with their projects and spreading my knowledge.

there are – more... good benifets for part time the medical is good but the dental for part time kinda sucks if you require alot more then $300 a year of work done ur out of luck.

would i recomend it? yes but dont expect much and turn over is quite quik just as a warning love the work not so much the company. – less
Not bad, not great. It's a job
Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 28, 2015
Pros: Ease of work, coworkers
Cons: Poor pay if you don't have trade certificate of years upon years of experience
Hours. Its all over the place. If you are part time, there is zero consistency in regards to hours. One week is full time, then no hours for a month. It does get busier during the spring-fall seasons so you can usually get 15+ hours a week depending on the department, but don't expect that to last into the Christmas season.

People.The people you work with are usually great. They really do promote the "if you don't know, ask" mentality. Just don't expect to get the answer that you want. Most of the other associates will help, but there are always the one or two that won't. It's part of the working world.

Management.My experience with management has been hit and miss. Some have been very hands on and straight forward (which I like) and others have been all smiles to your face then do the opposite. It all depends on the store you get. It's safe to say they get paid very well for their role in the store so they do anything to protect that.

Pay. Unless you have a certificate in some trade, don't expect to make much more than min wage.

Scheduling. Released every week so you always have a 2 week notice on what you will be working. Usually pretty easy to get shifts covered depending on department and available workers, but usually always someone willing to grab the hours.

Training. Practically non existent. They do give you 2 days training to cover the legal stuff then you are on the floor. Everything is pretty well learn on the go. They do provide a great amount of online and product information, and you do get paid for doing it, if you can find time away from the – more... sales floor to get behind a computer for a bit.

Advancement. It is possible if you stay with the company for years or have some schooling to add to the job. Otherwise I wouldn't count on flying through the ranks. Being liked my management and the other Department Supervisors helps...a lot.

Credit. They are all about the credit card and expect everyone to get cards. They always talk about doing it in the best interest of the customers. Its not hard to do but at 28.8% interest, that's not in the best interest in my customers.

In the end, its a job. It pays the bills and if you work at it, it could become a career for some. All I can say is don't expect to be handed anything in that company. You have to work for it. – less
Friendly and Productive Work Environment
Associate (Former Employee), Midland, ONJune 19, 2015
Pros: Approachable Management, Friendly staff, Flexible hours
Cons: Not many full-time opportunities, Lots of weekend working, Hours get cut back once you book off a couple days
As someone who has worked many customer service oriented jobs in the past, I find that Home Depot was my favourite customer service job thus far. Associates are hired in at more than minimum wage by a few cents, and each year receive a monetary raise - usually .25c. The employees are friendly and great to talk to. Interaction with [some] customers is great. Management is very approachable, although, sometimes when you need them they are either in a meeting or behind closed doors. For the labour-work required at Home Depot, I think the employees should be getting paid more than minimum wage - more than is already paid. For example, the Lot Associates, Garden Centre Associates, and most Department Associates deal with a lot of heavy lifting in order to help customers to ensure they are getting what they need. A computer-based program organizes the schedules for each associate, and is presented online for associates to view 3 weeks in advance. Associates are also able to book off days they need through an online portal. The only downside of booking days off is that the system that controls the schedules tends to cut your hours. For example, a part time associate will work between 30-38 hours a week. If they book off a day or two, their hours for a week could go down to 28-30 hours. Upon being hired, associates are informed that they will get every 4 weekends off (Friday-Sunday). There have been many instances where a handful of associates have been working every single weekend for the past 3 months in a row. Managament/H.R. should spend more time ensuring their associates are getting – more... what they were guaranteed by tracking their shifts and spend less time holed up in their offices. Overall, I enjoyed working at The Home Depot in Midland. I will definitely reccommend this location to anyone looking for a job. I may just come back myself in the future. – less
Productive and Fun.
Operations Capacity Planning Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 18, 2012
Daily I report the volume of past, current and future production and feed the results into Capacity Operations, DC, XDC, Lumber DC Scorecards and map the information into Network Four Block Reports and validate. I'm Deeply behind the scenes of a mass amount of information analytics provided to Senior Business Leaders, Inventory Replenishment Planning, Inventory Analyst`s, and Operational Owners.

My colleagues are passionate, good team players, an inspiration and great to partner beside day in and day out.

The hardest part of my job - is to swallow the pill of pressure, and meet demands everytime and smile while doing it with daily deliverables of 10 or more objectives requiring process thinking. Meeting the extra emergency requests that demands me to stop my duties build models at will, then deploy, measure, understand, confirm and lastly report.

The most enjoyable part of the job, I've been able to map and understand the flow of distribution from: I won't get to detailed please read below:

Inventory Planning Replenishment
- Information Systems
- Vendors
- Transportation
- Distribution

In order for products to hit daily delivery targets on time for the customers satisfaction, increase month over month financial comp margins and the smiles our associates receive is all worth it.

"The experience you can't buy it."

So as an Logistics Analyst I understand distribution thresholds against time, profit, labour, capacity, visiblility and understand the analytics to improve or control by partnering with a team of great men and women.

"To meet the customer expectations."

"My – more... take on mass distribution understand the engine within your network indentify, control and improve at will."

"Remember losing is not an option and when you lose there's a lot more battles ahead to win." – less
have made some lifelong friends
Cashier (Current Employee), London, ONAugust 17, 2012
Pros: associate friends/family
Cons: see above
-cashier, make sure everything you need to serve the customer is at hand,
-till accuracy
-tight knit 'community' with fellow associate, like a family
-sometimes it's hard to keep irate customers 'in line', happy
-meeting people, interacting with people is the best part
-lately, management/head office is taking what I and others feel is a turn in the wrong direction with regards to schedules, and having QUALIFIED associates in the proper places (i.e. elimination of long-standing contractor cashiers, garden cashiers...and replacing with un-trained, unqualified associates)
- new computer generated scheduling systems are being rolled out at many retailers, which will eliminate the 'human aspect'...and associates will lose long standing 'rotations' ...(scheduling certainties), ...in other words, no more rotating wk.ends off, not even 2 days in a row off...the computer will 'spit out' your schedule which could be days, evenings, overnights or any combination thereof.
*Management and corporate management has forgotten who it is that is 'minding the store' - it's the little guy...the associates...not just in this store, but in many. They've forgotten that a happy employee is indeed a PRODUCTIVE employee, thereby enabling higher sales/profits...which is really the bottom line.
The world has changed from not even needing a resume` to not even LOOKING AT a resume`or the person presenting it....(computer on line applications). It's all about time and money, more and more retailers/businesses hire part time employees only...supposedly to save money (limited benefits, utilizing contract positions – more... etc.)...but ultimately, WHAT ARE THEY SAVING??? Employee turnover will become higher and higher...resulting in increased training costs, and LESS productivity. – less
when we go as team depot to help
Kitchen designer , Project coordinator (Current Employee), mississauga , bramptonOctober 25, 2012
Pros: fun dayes which we are doing bbq
Cons: we spend 9 houres
My typical day at work would be managing kitchens, flooring, maill work, connecting between companies and customers for special orders, solving order and installation problems, while also training associates. I learned many different things. For example, while being a kitchen designer, I learned how to sell various cabinets for many companies that contain different features. I learned how to design kitchens and baths and learned how to give a precise estimation for the entire project including countertops, backsplash, hardware, appliances, sinks and faucets within the customer’s budget. In addition, I learned how to direct the customer to the products needed with diverse ideas. As an expeditor project coordinator, I learned how to manage a complete order and recommend products with the time frame given. I am responsible to represent the organization in a professional, courteous manner by establishing and maintaining a good working relationship with Home Depot’s high revenue customers. I work proactively to advise customers of impending service failures or issues. I am responsible for responding promptly to customer complaints/concerns and act in accordance with established departmental guidelines. I monitor the integrity of the order entry system and utilize the system for control of customer orders, reporting any problems directly to the terminals involved for further investigation. I advise customers of order and delivery statuses based on operations schedule and communicate this information proactively to the customers. The hardest part of my job is when I get from any company – more... information that the product is coming in and we lose the product in the shipment and we have installation date, also when associate gave customer wrong information . The most enjoyable part of the job that we are working as family one team so the time goes fast and we are helping each other. – less
lifelong friends made with co-workers
Pro Account Sales Associate (Former Employee), Vancouver,bc areaSeptember 25, 2012
Pros: great people! some free lunches
Cons: shift work, in-store christmas parties
Was the best time of my life, work-wise. Made many friends that I still contact. Most Co-workers were great, so were the majority of direct managers.
Problems with upper mgmt, always changing store to store. Did not have one review where I had the same dept supervisor and Asst. Mgr as last review.
Pay sucks for most people. I had alot of experience, so was paid fairly, I had no complaints.
I quit because of my young family. I was told at pro desk 1 Saturday/month. Before I left it was 3/ month & missed my son getting his first goal in soccer, at last minute of game. Did up my resignation that night, my family is not for sale. If you are ok with shiftwork, and don't mind only knowing 2 weeks out what your schedule is, I'm sure you would be fine. Now my kids are teens & I only have about 4 yrs left when they won't want to hang out with me. At that point I will take all evening&Saturday shifts no matter where i work, so co-workers with families can enjoy themselves.

Bonus schemes did not work out, however I applaud their trying. It was not worth the extra effort for the meagre bonuses paid out. indeed, one associate got a cheque for fifty cents. there were too many variables that associates could not control.
District offices required all managers to do way too much paperwork, therefore they were not on the floor managing as much as I feel they should be.
The Best of what Retail has to offer.
Electrical Associate (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABApril 16, 2015
Pros: Independence, Learning, Culture, Bonuses
Cons: Scheduling, Instruction, Physically Demanding
If you find yourself having to work in Retail, Home Depot is probably the best place to do it. After having experienced many retail jobs, the Home Depot has the best environment out of all that I've experienced. This is a workplace of Adults, not children, and the company treats you like you have a brain. You are given plenty of freedom, responsibility and there is always something to do. Your brain is worked to it's limit and you learn a huge amount, especially if you work in a technical department like Electrical.

Like any job there are cons -- your schedule is 100% randomized by a computer weeks in advance, so planning anything is tough. This is a the most anti-employee policy they have.

The store works better the fewer managers are in it. When all the managers are present it quickly turns into a clustermug of contradictory instructions and inefficiency. They usually mean well but the stores could easily be employee-run.

The training is mostly Vendor sponsored, and therefore is biased and doesn't teach from first principles. Most of your learning will occur via other associates who have to teach you several textbooks worth of product knowledge on the floor. Expect to be flustered and embarrassed frequently until you become an expert in your area. Once you do become an expert however, the job becomes rewarding as people are overjoyed that you actually know how to help them.

And if they do become overjoyed and tell a manager about it or do a survey, you get a decent amount of money as a bonus consistently.
Micro Managing at Home Depot
Head Cashier (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONMay 16, 2014
Pros: always nice when you can make someones day
Cons: can be long and stressful days when dealing with a lot of issues
Day started with getting the equipment and registers ready for the cashiers to use, as well as morning reports on certain issues that arose from giving customers money off of product. Other daily reports included observing the cashiers to ensure they were completing their job properly.

I learned to manage my time well as I was looking over all the other cashiers that were working that day, as well as making sure they took proper breaks and lunches. Also learning to deal with customer care issues, as I was the one our cashiers went to when they had a problem, weather it be an unhappy experience or pricing issue

People that worked there are great, couldn't ask for a better bunch of people to work with. Management is sometimes not always the easiest to deal with, but they could have been much worse. Getting everyone on the same page can be tough

Hardest part of the job was learning to adapt to stressful situations. When short staffed and busy, plus people are needing your assistance as well as your co-workers wanting some help can be a little hectic, making you feel like your being pulled in many different directions.

On top of learning new information all the time, and pleasing people on a daily basis, working with the people that you get to get to know was the best part of the job, because you become friends. Working with your friends, people that you like, is the best part.

Not much security in your job as it is a cashier position and they are easily filled. As well as I was only part time, and very hard to get a full time position in a store like this.
A lot of immature behaviour from the employees
Merchandising Execution Team (Former Employee), Brampton, ONAugust 31, 2013
I worked at the Brampton north location, and the job itself wasn't bad, 6am - 3pm monday to friday (PT). However, the moment I got hired I noticed how much gossip and talking behind peoples backs there was. The boss negatively projected on the whole team (for what ever reasons I don't know) and the employees would respond with gossiping and rude comments.

When I worked at the Bolton location and also the Steeles location, this was not the case. Everyone was a saint at these stores; and collectively the teams worked well.

The job I did under MET, required extensive detail cleaning in the bays. Moderate supervision from the manager, but one of the plusses is your always with your employees talking and chatting eachother up. (which like I said above, can also be a bad thing ie. gossip)

1 really annoying aspect of the job is, your working for the vendors collectively and HD is just the umbrella per say that pulls it all together. However, knowing this, you don't technically NEED to help the customers because you're there working on a job and really thats not in the job description. But the shirts that the MET team wear, are far more noticeable then the store workers aprons. We wore a bright orange shirt, while the store employees wore a small orange apron. (Don't ask me who decided to do that)

Anyways, the job I'd say was a 6/10 overall. This job is just labour, I couldn't see my self advancing in any way with HD, and the pay was just above minimum.
Friendly staff and managers, but not a place to be gainfully employed.
Sales/Operations (Current Employee), Langley, Chilliwack, and Prince George, BCJuly 15, 2012
Pros: flexible hours, social and friendly co-workers, easy to transfer to other locations.
Cons: unpredictable schedules, poor benefits for part-timers, not too many perks, low pay.
Since it is a customer service industry the number one task is to seek customers and make sure all of their needs are being met. There isn't a lot of direction during down time and sometimes not a lot gets done.
I have learned a lot about the retail industry. I have learned how to order and receive inventory. I also learned how to manage cash floats, balance the safe, and prepare the bank deposits.
Most of the managers are good people, though I feel that the company prefers to promote people who just say "yes" to everything they are asked to do as apposed to those who think outside the box or who can think on their feet. At times when it gets busy you can feel like you don't have much support from your superiors, especially when you really need them to jump in and help out.
Most of the co-workers are nice and very friendly. Home Depot also tries to maintain a very diverse staff.
The hardest part of the job is keeping a smile on your your face when you encounter a customer who really gives you a hard time. Not everyone that shops there is friendly and it can be hard to maintain professionalism when you are being treated poorly.
When you make someone's experience enjoyable. When they are so happy with the service you provided them that they come back to see you specifically every time they need something.
Not a job for you if you have a family or a house and don't get comfortable
sales (Former Employee), Niagara fallsMay 27, 2015
Pros: nice co-worker
Cons: horrible supervisors and manager, no job security, hire to many people at a time and only keep a few after 2 months
I was hired along with 6 other people in march this year. It was my first job I got when I moved to this town after I bought my house. I was under the impression that this job would be great, was I very wrong. This job is great for students or people looking for a second job, but stay away if you have a family or a house. The hours are so horrible through out the week, you would be lucky to get 20 hours (and 20 hours a week is what you need to get their horrible benefits package)

The training you get is all done on the computers and doesn't prepaire you for the store floor and the pressure you will face when you are franticly running around looking for a coworker or manager who could assist you in helping a customer who is getting angry because you don't know where the thing is for the what's it called.

The managers are never around when you need them and if its the summer you will never see them since they are are always in seasonal doing something.

The supervisors are even worse. When you start they are suppose to train you on the equipment you are suppose to use, expect to wait to 3 weeks after you start to get trained on half of them and still be running around looking for someone who can use the equipment you can't.

Then after you deal with all the stress and still waiting to be trained on all the equipment they will let you and 4 other people go because of "business".

This company is a joke, if you have any shread of slef respect you will stay away from this job.
Productive and informative work environment
Appliance Specialist (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONJuly 8, 2015
When I first started at The Home Depot, I did not know anything about appliances except for the ones in my student house and at my parents'. With the proper training, I received the title of Appliance Specialist and was able to help customers make informed decisions on what to buy for their homes. It was a very rewarding experience knowing that I was helping young adults a few years older than myself, to retired couples over the age of 65 make decisions that so significantly impacted their lives. Especially when I was, at the time, only 22 and without a home of my own. I took pride in the fact that I was able to educate myself in my department, and pick up home-owner tips from others as well. With the help of my supervisors and other managers, I was able to receive the right training and guidance to become an informed associate who could provide excellent customer service. I really enjoy working with the rest of my appliance team, as we communicate so well on things from customer issues to delegating tasks and providing any extra knowledge. Staying on top of constantly updating information is the most difficult part of the job, as I have to know about it before the customer so that I can relay the best and most current information to them. I always enjoy the feeling of completing a big sale, knowing that the customer left happy having gotten what they were looking for, and that I was able to positively affect the company's bottom line.
Its all in the Name “Home” and in the color “Orange!"
Home and Garden Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 26, 2013
Pros: learning on product knowledge & smiles exchanged
Cons: too many bosses
I learned that Home Depot is a good place to work; that there were a lot of fellow employees who really cared about one another and that the goodness in the name Home, had a ripple effect for both the people who worked there and the consumer. I also give credit to the management and the creation of the orange aprons; the color denotes enthusiasm, happiness, creativity, attraction, success, and stimulation, attracting people to something. If a customer had to wait to see if we could find a stocked item, they were patient and senior coworkers were there to help if need be. The management were fair and pleasant as well and appreciated all efforts. The hardest part of working at Home Depot was that too many people wanted to be The Boss sometimes which might cause gossip. I would just listen and let it go, looking for the goodness in that coworker and then I would lead with my good example of doing my work, minding my business and giving excellent customer service, or cleaning, going the extra mile; Keeping my energies, my integrity and the focus on my committment to Home Depot, all clean, cleared and positive.

Two enjoyable aspects of the job was learning and serving. I enjoyed learning about a product or plant and sharing that knowledge with the customer. I also enjoyed learning from the customers by listening, assisting them and then seeing the customer walk away happy and satisfied. Smiles exchanged was another plus to this job as there is contact with many people on a shift.
I've never been so sick in my life
Merchandising Execution Associate (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 18, 2013
Pros: regular changes in product and the need for product knowledge
Cons: not being able to focus attention on customers in need
A typical day at work would include servicing bays, which would include repairing and/or replacing displays and fixtures, cleaning the bay itself, replacing damaged and worn labels, repairing product packaging, and packing down stock as needed. While working at home depot, I've learned how to install toilets, sinks, faucets, and lighting fixtures, as well as perform minor repairs. The management seems to be rather disconnected from the issues faced by employees, including health issues, as they maintain a system of demerits for absences, regardless of the reason for which an associate is absent, including bereavement and legal subpoenas. Furthermore, many members of management have little to no understanding of proper hazardous material containment, clean-up and disposal, including biohazards such as various bird and rodent droppings, as well as dead animals. Many of the store associates are willing to help as needed, while occasionally there is the odd associate who, for whatever reason, would be unwilling to help. The hardest part of the job, as a man, is being required to lift anything that cannot easily be lifted alone, including anything greater than 30 kg. Perhaps the best part of the job is being able to learn about many different things from the different types of and qualities of flooring, to the benefits and disadvantages of different types of lighting.
Long Term Employee
Appliance associate, Kitchen / Bath , Plumbing (Former Employee), British ColumbiaAugust 29, 2015
Pros: Pay, benefits
Cons: ridiculous scheduling with little respect for the associate
Firstly...no place is perfect. For over 5 years I worked at the Home Depot as a part time associate. Over that time I mastered almost every department. I am not boasting but my desire to learn new retail methods encouraged me to a very high level of customer service. Comparing retail of today what it was 35 years ago to today....
1) Better pay
2) Better benefits
3) Lazier people
4) A terrible work / life balance.
5) Majority of associates not savvy in basic knowledge and even poorer customers.
6)Very arrogant customers lacking respect and integrity
7)Success sharing that was pitiful compared to a nice employee discount.
8) Higher expectations for management created by unruly customers.
9) Ethnic change that was huge
10) Open on holidays and Sunday (bad, very bad)

To summerize, a good basic place to work temporarly. Unfortunately Home Depot does not create a career oriented place of work due to foolish schedules and poor management. Close Sundays, say "no" to continual returns. Build a respectful relationship with customer and associate. Their scheduling is poor at best, years ago it was simple but today they create a confusing system. This by far is the worst dynamic of Home Depot. One last point...stop buying Chinese products only North American.
A good place too meet people and learn
Serving as Flooring and Décor Specialty Associate (Current Employee), Lethbridge, ABFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: hour long lunches
Cons: crazy turn-over rate
I really enjoy working with people, so much so that I gained my own personal group of clients that request me. I love learning, fact checking, and stretching around to know more about other departments in the store. I like helping my co-workers and being aware of where the day should be headed (i.e: Schedules, lunch breaks, etc..).

Unfortunately, the management neglects to follow their own rules. They leave dangerous areas unlocked, and never answer the help phone. The support from the management team is lacking.

Advancement is non-existent if you are already good at your job. They won't allow you to stretch out and learn more areas if they feel you are needed in your primary department, and since staffing is never certain or up to par, you will always be needed. You will go whole days without any support, 8 hour shifts with no help.

The hardest part about working there is the amount of back-biting from associates and managers alike. Things like "there is a firing coming soon" or "I won't allow anymore people like that in my department" are common place.

It is a mixture of delight and frustration.

I am sorry to say.
Poor management
Specialty Sales (Former Employee), OakvilleJuly 2, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: poor management, not flexible, poor compensation
Some really great coworkers but poor management. Huge lack of staff and overall support. The benefits were good but the pay wasnt great. There was no real pay scale, they seemed to start new employees at whatever they felt like. There's nothing more frustrating than training new temporary seasonal associates that are still in high school and dont take their job seriously while you know they were started at a higher wage than you currently make (and I was there for over 2 years). Managers don't seem to value the hard workers that they have. The work itself wasn't difficult but it was physically exhausting (probably due to the fact that there wasn't enough staff). I would have understood and probably stayed on if there was proper support from managers. Usually there was no one around when you needed them. Being swamped and getting yelled at by customers for being the only person in a department was the norm for days on the weekend. Also, there didn't seem to be any discipline for lazy associates, the work they didnt do would just fall onto the workers who actually cared about their job and nothing would be said about it by the managers, even after continuous complaints to HR by multiple associates. Don't waste your time, work for a company that will actually value your hard work.
Typical customer service experience
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 14, 2013
A typical day at work starts at the sign in post. From there we head downstairs to our respective sales areas in the store. A check of inventory is required for safety and stock up if there are no customers that need immediate attention. If everything is in good standing, we roam around our sales department looking for customers to help.
I worked in the Season Sales department so I had to learn about seasonal equipment such as: lawnmowers, snowblowers, shovels, hedge trimmers, tree saws, bbqs, etc. Given that it is the Seasonal Department, we are also required to learn about many other products such as: house cleaners, flower/tree/plant maintenance products, bbq charcoals/accessories, fuel stabilizers, etc.
Management was there when you needed them but other than that they wouldn't go out of their way. Co-workers were polite and respectful.
The hardest part of the job was learning about all of the products/accessories and maintenance methods with no training provided. They sent me into the workplace with limited to no information on certain procedures and products.
The most enjoyable part of working at Home Depot was helping the customers to the fullest extent. They allowed you to help the customer to their cars and even go beyond and help them at their house (but only on your own time since you're not at work).
Industry