Home Depot Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,172 reviews matching the search
Fun and fulfilling but little room for advancement
Paint Associate (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONMarch 16, 2016
The environment is great, parties and meetings are genuinely fun. Management is warm and understanding of personal issues. Scheduling is fair and usually made up to 3 weeks in advance, which is very nice and hours are generally good. Pay is competitive and benefits are as well. All-in-all a great place to work, my only complaint would be the lack of room for advancement. Due to the high number of people who stay past retiring age, I've found that there is little room to advance your position unless you are making a life long commitment to the company. That being said, students can cross train in different departments for more hours, which is also nice.
Pros
Fun environment, good management
Cons
Lack of room for advancement
Friendly work environment with good management
Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 4, 2016
Home Depot is an excellent company to begin one's career, as the management is helpful, understanding and help you learn the various skills you'll need in a retail field.
Pros
Flexible schedule, good pay and end of year christmas party
Cons
Long hours, low chance of getting weekends off
Strong culture and great core values
Sales Associate/management trainee (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONOctober 29, 2015
Home Depot is a largest and most successful home improvement company in world for good reasons. Emphasis is always placed on the customers and the Home Depot associate take pride in providing great customer service. There is allot of room to grow your career at the Home Depot, and both part time and full time associate receive numerous employment benefits. The home Depot is an all round round great company and it provides associate with a great work experience everyday.
Pros
Great people and Culture
Cons
Very demanding, Stressfull
Good for a retail job, but still retail
Lumber Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 15, 2016
The Home Depot has a very enthusiastic work environment. The management is very respectful and there is a lot of thought put into the basic clerk's contribution to the company. Success Sharing is an integral part of the income that each clerk receives, and part-time and full time employees both qualify for certain insurance coverage with Manulife.
Pros
Success sharing, good management, encouraging work environment
Cons
Retail, long hours, inconsistent scheduling
Friendly and fun
Customer Service - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 5, 2016
Check safety of the store, cleaning, doing pack-down, helping customers.
I learned technical information about different products, software of the company and other important subjects.
The management and co-workers are friendly
the hardest part of the job is being part time worker but, I manage to get shifts from other co-workers so I keep my salary on track the most enjoyable part is that you interact with different people every day
Pros
free coffe and pizza some times
Cons
short hours
Good job for part time work while in school.
Lumber Associate (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABSeptember 6, 2015
The Home Depot is a good place of employment for those looking to gain entry level experience in the work force and for those attending school. They are very accommodating when it comes to school. Where they fail to provide incentive is when an employee learns a useful skill such as obtaining their in house forklift license, there is nothing gained from achieving a skill such as this(i.e. pay raise or acknowledgement). However, one thing the home depot excels at is hiring, management hires people that fit well within the present community of home depot associates.
Pros
Excellent co-workers
Great Job Awesome Benefits.
CUSTOMER SERVICE HOME SENSE (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 31, 2016
Typical day at work would be greeting customers, answering their questions/concerns, directing them where they need to go and cashing them out. I have learned that the customer is always right, even if there is a misunderstanding. Being polite, thanking the customer and great customer service are all great aspects to keep the customer satisfied and coming back.

Management and co-workers are great at Home Depot. Everyone is friendly and professional. The cons at work would be delayed lunch schedules and low staff on busy days.

Best part of my job is hearing back compliments from a customer from management and knowing that the customer walks away satisfied.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
delayed lunch schedule
A lot of nice people but not a great place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLJanuary 18, 2016
Made a few good friends. But employment wise, the salary is terrible and expectations high for the money paid.. No full time positions. Benefits are not all that great. It seems in my experience, there is not a whole lot of support for associates from management.
Pros
Great people
Cons
No full time positions. Pay isn't great. not so great benefits
Pay
Overnight Freight Associate (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABApril 4, 2016
Overall they would be a great company but are unfair when it comes to giving raises. They don't acknowledge a lot of the hard work that people put in but it seems the lazier you are the more you are rewarded.
Not a Career Company
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 11, 2016
Working at the Skyview Home Depot was enjoyable for the most part.

Your typical day, depended on what shift/day you worked!

I have learned responsibility, independence, time management skills and what teamwork really is!

The management I knew were always looking after their associates then. Now the management's style is hostile and favouritism based!

The associates that I have worked with by nature were happy, until this stores management changed them!

The only part hard about my job was the lack of staffing at times, but, was at most, resolvable!

The enjoyable part of my job was my management process, the work within my duties and the associates whose ethics and personality, kept me there all these years!
Pros
Build responsibility/skills, Christmas parties, profit sharing, homer awards!
Cons
Depends on peers. Vac (1st come/serve), Schedules aren't flexible to lifestyle!
Great Company !
Manager Contractor Services (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 15, 2015
Home Depot is a great company for students part- timers and people looking to build their career in retail and retail management.It provides great benefits for students part timers and their full time employees. Working hours could be an issue for some looking for a stable job hours , as in retail closing and opening hours are longer especially for a big box retailer.

It is a great employers with lot of different cultures into the one work place and gives equal opportunity to all different people.
Pros
Fun work environment, great benefits
Cons
Uncertain hours, singular development
not very exiting or challenging but a relaxing environment to work.
ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABJanuary 10, 2016
-A typical day consisted of being non eventful with no real challenge or excitement, but it was very easy to know what needed to be done.
- I didn't learn anything new at Home Depot
- Management was very officiant and new what needed to be done and how to organize everything well so there was no confusion.
- there was a very good atmosphere of people
- the hardest part of the job was some of the costumers reactions and how to respond but even that was not to difficult
- Most enjoyable part was talking to the people and having a work place where everything was organized and everyone knew what their roles were.
Top notch leadership and culture
SAP Functional Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 1, 2016
One of the best managed companies with the best culture I have ever worked for.

Highlights
Collaborative
Great Employee Engagement
Outstanding Executives
Great IT Team
Friendly environment, work as a family
Sales Associate/Flooring Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ONJanuary 10, 2016
Home Depot is a family oriented business with core values that promote a positive environment and excellent customer service. A typical day at work involves working as a team to seek out and serve customers to be best of our ability.

The management team is always available to provide support, training and acknowledgement of a job well done. We all work together as a team, co-workers as well as management.

The hardest part of the job is following up on your customer needs, as our schedule changes on a daily basis. At The Home Depot, we receive a wealth of knowledge and training on products and D.I.Y.'s. I really enjoy using the knowledge I have gained to ensure that my customer projects are successful.
Pros
Free Training, Free Lunches, Option to sit on various Committees
Cons
Working weekends, Schedule changes daily.
Lots to learn, little to gain once you do...do not care for employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 20, 2015
They will use you up and pay you less than the new people and it is just a revolving door of employees. Not learning your job very well is an asset here.
Pros
Work Relationships
Cons
Bad management, low pay, small raises, ruthless with giving hours.
Too much focus on credit
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONNovember 8, 2015
I enjoy working at The Home Depot, although a lot of times I do feel under appreciated by my management team. I feel they put a lot of enforcement on credit card goals, when thats only a small part of the over all job at hand. sometimes, its more important to please the customer and ensure that they will be returning, rather than trying to score a new credit card.
Pros
Benefits, nice break room, flexible hours
Cons
short staffed, under appreciated
good place to work at
Sales & Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 13, 2015
comparatively low pay plus long hours. physical exertion balanced with amazing work benefits. Would love to stay if provided with higher pay because the work that is required doesnt satisfy the amount paid for it thats all. other then that amazing and friendly environment
Pros
reimbursements for tuitions
The worst place to work
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Regina Sk North StoreSeptember 3, 2015
I worked for the North Store for some time. You may experience friendliness and appreciation for the first three months but that's about it. This store as many of us referred to as the "mans club". Management will throw you under the bus if given the opportunity. They say family is important but don't let something come up on the day your scheduled at work. The conditions on the floor are very hostile. There is no room for advancement unless they "like" you. Persons l worked with wanted to learn different departments and were turned down not because of their skills but by popularity, if the department supervisor didn't like you, they would bury your application. Your considered expendable. Good luck if you decide to apply for this position.
Pros
Homer awards for the first three months.
Cons
Wage increase .10/hr. Backstabbing. No teamwork. Schedule flip flopping.
Good place to work with good benefits
Sale Associate in the Seasonal Department (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCFebruary 12, 2016
Is a good place to work. You have to be ready to be on your feet most of the hours worked. You can't be scared of hard work for the salary they pay. You have to know your products you are selling or you can't be a great salesman/woman.

Other associates are great!! They are friendly and willing to help when needed.

Working with customers is great! You get the one on one interaction. You can get the odd person who had horrible service but it is your job to fix that problem.
Pros
Free Lunches, Awards Programs, Great Benefits
Cons
Odd hours but little flexible
Home Depot Merchandising Execution Team Associate
Merchandising Execution Team Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONOctober 3, 2015
Working for the Home Depot in general was not bad - the associates within the store are mostly friendly and accepting. It is extremely difficult to advance in any manner - promotion is based solely on the single interview and not on what you have actually accomplished during your time in the company. Human Resources does not help when there are issues, and there is very little accountability for actions.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Low pay, no chance for moving higher in the company