Home Depot
12,707 reviews

Home Depot Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun, productive work place with many learning opportunities
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 25, 2015
Pros: Great Benefit Coverage
Cons: Schedule switches/requests take long to process
A typical day at the Home Depot would be me walking into my department, the Tool Rental Center and cleaning any tools that were returned throughout the day, while still helping the steady traffic of customers that come in. Before my experience at Home Depot I knew nothing about any commercial grade tools, let alone even a simple carpet cleaner. But after the training process in the Tool Rental Center, both on the computer and hands on, I can say I’ve gained a lot of knowledge and skills that will surely benefit me for the rest of my life. I really do love my job, not to mention, my fellow co-workers that make the place so functional/productive but yet so fun at the same time. Yes, sometimes it can get a little crazy during our busy seasons but there is always someone there to lend a helping hand. The best part about this job is the environment. Your customers ranger from “Do it yourselfers” to Professional Contractors, and with every conversation comes a great learning experience!
Lot Associate (Current Employee), WoodbridgeApril 24, 2015
Home Depot is a well recognized company across North America. working with them really gives people a purpose. Instilled in The Home Depot culture is putting others first and enjoying work every day.
Loved working here
Cashier (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONApril 23, 2015
Pros: Free pizza sometimes, health insurance, flexible hours
Cons: Sometimes low hours when business is slow (for cashiers)
I loved working at The Home Depot. Everyone was friendly, and great. Decent salary with an increase every year. You get awards when you provide excellent customer service (got 2!), and also get a bonus for every three Homer awards you get. After the probation period, employees get health insurance. I heard the Christmas parties are great with everyone winning real big prizes, but I could never attend any because of my exams. Had to stop working because of time management issues with my studies. But overall I would recommend it to anyone!
Great place to work as either part time or full time
Professional & Contractor Services (Prodesk) (Current Employee), Pickering, ONApril 23, 2015
Cons: shifts are scattered throughout the week
Very busy working environment
Build customer relationships with contractors
Build designs and projects (Deck, Windows, Doors, Fence, etc.)
Management looks out for the best interest of the employee
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee), brampton,onApril 22, 2015
It was nice working with home depot. learned a lot abut dealing with customer on delay bases.the most enjoyable part of the job was learning about all the home equipment's.
Great company that excels are empowering the associate.
Tool Rental Center Associate (Current Employee), Surrey, BCApril 21, 2015
I have loved working for The Home Depot. I felt confident in the skills I was taught, and supported by other associates and management. Co-workers are great, and have challenged me to become the best employee I can.
It was good but things went down hill a bit
Departmental Team Lead (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 21, 2015
overall great company and great team members. I loved the team I was part of. But sometimes senior level management did not help us as best as they could.
The Home Depot
Sourcing Specialist (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 18, 2015
This is a great large corporation to work for.
They offer many excellent programs. Communication is good.
A typical day -
meet with suppliers,
meet with various cross functional teams to complete a job.
Resolve store associate concerns.
The most enjoyable part of work is talking to store associates and resolving their questions or concerns, working out at the gym provided.
The Best of what Retail has to offer.
Electrical Associate (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABApril 16, 2015
Pros: Independence, Learning, Culture, Bonuses
Cons: Scheduling, Instruction, Physically Demanding
If you find yourself having to work in Retail, Home Depot is probably the best place to do it. After having experienced many retail jobs, the Home Depot has the best environment out of all that I've experienced. This is a workplace of Adults, not children, and the company treats you like you have a brain. You are given plenty of freedom, responsibility and there is always something to do. Your brain is worked to it's limit and you learn a huge amount, especially if you work in a technical department like Electrical.

Like any job there are cons -- your schedule is 100% randomized by a computer weeks in advance, so planning anything is tough. This is a the most anti-employee policy they have.

The store works better the fewer managers are in it. When all the managers are present it quickly turns into a clustermug of contradictory instructions and inefficiency. They usually mean well but the stores could easily be employee-run.

The training is mostly Vendor sponsored, and therefore is biased and doesn't teach from first principles. Most of your learning will occur via other associates who have to teach you several textbooks worth of product knowledge on the floor. Expect to be flustered and embarrassed frequently until you become an expert in your area. Once you do become an expert however, the job becomes rewarding as people are overjoyed that you actually know how to help them.

And if they do become overjoyed and tell a manager about it or do a survey, you get a decent amount of money as a bonus consistently.
Great environment with great people
Head Cashier (Current Employee), sherwood parkApril 15, 2015
I love the people I work with and the job itself is great. For the most part, customers are quite nice, but as in all retail jobs you get the odd awful one. Management is overall very good.
Associate (Former Employee), Sturgeon Falls, ONApril 15, 2015
I loved working at the Home Depot in Sturgeon Falls. The staff is friendly and helpful, and the store is well managed, making everyone's job easier.
Good place to work for
Flooring Associate/Fulfillment Team Member (Former Employee), Burlington, ONApril 15, 2015
Pros: Great management team. You get your work your schedule two weeks in advance
Cons: Low Salary, you get most of your hours on weekends
Good over all life-work balance. Lots of good people in the store. Salary was low and it takes quite a while to advance within the company.
Great place to work part time
Associate (Former Employee), Belleville, ONApril 15, 2015
Hours of dedication assisting consumers interested in home renovation. Learned about all the different materials available to repair and replace existing things around the house. As well, identified customer needs in determining tools required for the job at hand. Management was always around to help with any concerns. Co-workers were friendly and knowledgeable. The hardest part of the job was being on your feet all day. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customer find the products they were looking for.
Great environment
Electrical Associate (Current Employee), Guelph, ONApril 13, 2015
my knowledge for my department and sometimes others gets tested everyday. The associates are great to work with and I love talking about electrical
home depot claims to put employees first because "WE" are the key to the companies success. Management could care less about us as employees.
Tool Technician / Mechanic (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 13, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: tons
i am a full time employee and still found it difficult to make ends meat. i requested so schedule changes so i could have another job. i was refused my request and told that if i want another job i will neeed to change my status to part time. i feel like there is no point in them asking our availability because they just defecate all over it anyhow. the people i worked with are great and very friendly. upper management is a joke, and what they dont realize is the sales of the store has nothing to with them, if they were all to take a month long vacation, all operations and sales will remain the same.
productive and fun place to work
Flooring associate (Current Employee), Coquitlam, BCApril 12, 2015
great place to work but money is not enough. good job for retirement or second part time job. everybody is friendly. great place to work but money is not enough. good job for retirement or second part time job. everybody is friendly. great place to work but money is not enough. good job for retirement or second part time job. everybody is friendly. great place to work but money is not enough. good job for retirement or second part time job. everybody is friendly. great place to work but money is not enough. good job for retirement or second part time job. everybody is friendly. great place to work but money is not enough. good job for retirement or second part time job. everybody is friendly. great place to work but money is not enough. good job for retirement or second part time job. everybody is friendly.
Very respectful to employees
Flooring Sales Specialist (Current Employee), London, ONApril 11, 2015
Pros: Profit sharing, benifits
Cons: retail
good place to work and learn, worked in multiple departments, selling paint, décor (windows treatment and wallpaper) and flooring.
An Average Workplace
Part-Time Lot Associate (Former Employee), Markham, ONApril 11, 2015
Pros: Great coworkers, Good atmosphere, Average pay and decent benefits
Cons: Management blunders, Retail, Short hours per week
This was my first job and for the two years I've worked there, it was an average experience overall.

Jobs in retail aren't easy, especially since there is pressure to serve customers and make sure they leave happy. My task involved cleaning up the lot and helping customers load up their new purchases.

The hours I got per week fluctuated from 12-25h after the first 3 months, and the ever changing management made it difficult to ask for more. The changing management also forced us to work some days understaffed and added significant workloads for everyone. The coworkers do make the job worthwhile though since they are friendly and personable.

Pay was average compared to the workload we were tasked with but the benefits were decent.

If you are looking for your first job or just a job in general, Home Depot would be a decent place to start since they are always in need of front-end associates.
Great Place to Work
Merchandising Executive Team (MET) (Former Employee), Ajax, ONApril 9, 2015
Pros: Great benefit
Cons: Hard to get hired
Amazing work environment regardless of the jobs, very kind and open to diverse people. They treat you like family and are motivated to work for the company
Interesting and exciting place to work.
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 8, 2015
Pros: Learning about different departmets
Cons: Late night shifts and/or working full weekends.
There are many roles on plays while working at Home Depot and you both meet and work with a wide range of characters. There is always something to learn in this business due to the many different departments and the knowledge and skills required in each.

1 2 3 4 5

About Home Depot

The Home Depot is the global leader in home improvement and fourth largest retailer in the world. Providing superior customer – Read more