Holt Renfrew

Holt Renfrew Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great environmnet and team work
Distribution Clerk/Lead Hand Assistant/Processor (Former Employee), EtobicokeDecember 28, 2013
Pros: when you worked overtime, they gave us $5.00 for supper money.
I enjoyed my job very much, and it was the Best Job I ever had in my life. Great Team work, and wonderful employees as well. The assistant manager didn't like me, and always seemed to give me a hard time, and always seemed to be on my back. He would roll his eyes at me all the time, to try and intimidate me. He made fun of me as well, as I'm a True – more... Christian. I worked there 5 years as Seasonal worker and he knew I wanted F/T and they hired 4 people on F/T who started way after I did, when he knew I wanted F/T. It took 5 years to get on F/T. I had to quit 2 years later because of him. I went on vacation in May and didn't come back, as I wasn't ever going back there again. He called a meeting of all the employees when I never came back to let all of them know I was fired. I wasn't fired. I sent a letter to the manager and let him know I wasn't coming back. My mistake was, that I should've gone to Human Resources as well as the Manager to let them know about this. I will never live this down. I also worked at the Bloor Street store for 3 months to help out in their busy season in cosmetics stock room and shipping and receiving, and it was Absolutely Wonderful working there. I knew the Manager of Shipping/Receiving from Etobicoke. It was a wonderful environment and atmosphere. I've tried to go back there since they downsized. I was called 3x to come in, for a Group Interview, but I can't do that. – less
fast paste work environment - no managing skills
Merchandiser/ Stock (Former Employee), TorontoDecember 26, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: long hours, bad management
At first it is nice to work for Holt Renfrew. The building and the people (customers and co-workers) are generally nice and welcoming. This will last as long as you do youre job good and adequate without any shortcomings, but once I had an accident and was not willing/ able to work for more then 12 hours daily, things changed quickly. After my initial – more... talk to my manager to get more time off and I wanted to cut down to at least 35 to 45 hours a week, I got told to go early home and everything would be fine. After that my schedule got just more hours. My decission to turn my promotion down and to leave the company for my own health got looked down at...I got insulted by the manager and got told over the phone, that I will never ever have any future in the company from the day on.

I am glad I left and the amount of stress, responibility and committment employees at holts have to give without any appriciation results in frustrated workers and is a direct reflection of a poor management. Schedules are changed without notice, I seen (including me) to often employees run out the store crying and whenever changes or a rush happens, the manager vaporizes and wont be found till later. At Holts, the employee who cares the most about doing a perfect job will be the first who gets thrown under the bus.

I am not weak and had bad jobs before in my life, but you need to be strong to survive this negative work environment and the daily critics of your work - regardless of your performance!

I even had nightmares for days after I left, I wont even go close to the department store and walk an extra 10 minutes every day to walk in a bow arround it. – less
fashion and luxury
Personal assistant for Irene Ye (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 19, 2013
benefits are perfect, however lots of pressure. hard to save any money when working there.
good
Sales Manager (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 5, 2013
ok place to work offers good benefits and friendly awesome people
Fun and energetic team.
Loss Prevention Investigator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 15, 2013
Pros: fast paced, fun environment
Cons: have to work weekends
I was fortunate to have worked with such a great group of people.
Difficult working culture.
Leased Business Coordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 10, 2013
Not a very supportive culture. Difficult environment that makes it challenging to feel motivated and supported.
great experience
Counter Manager for Luxurious High-end Skincare (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 23, 2013
A great deal of responsibilities but always worth the hard work.
Over came quite a bit of obstacles
Don't be blinded by the pretty interior
Personal Shopping Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 30, 2013
I was a personal shopping assistant at Holt Renfrew. I have to say I was very excited to be working for this company but now that I have worked there I do not see it in the same way.

Compared to other companies the one nice thing about my position was that I made $15.00 an hour. However, after working there and realizing how much work is involved and – more... how under appreciated you are as well as how badly you are treated this is not enough compensation. Seeing a shopper (who may have made their assistant pull the clothes and just shown up for the appointment) make 10% commission on a sale anywhere from $5,000 - $25,000 in an appointment anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour and a half was very disheartening. No, you do not get any commission. Working for someone who does half if not a quarter of the work and then seeing them make $2,500 while you make $15.00, sucks.

We would rarely get our lunch breaks. We were entitled to an hour a day but would be so busy that we wouldn't get the time to take it. To make up for this we would mark down that we had no lunches BUT would get lectured by our managers that we need to take our lunches. They would never speak to the actual personal shoppers and say "make sure your assistant is taking a lunch break." They made it our duty to say something, which for some people is uncomfortable when it can be busy.

All management cared about were sales. If you were making the company money they would treat you like gods, however, if you were in my position they were not friendly. They were constantly on our backs about every little thing. Holding meetings every so often with the personal shopper to let you know what you are doing WRONG and not showing appreciation for what you are doing RIGHT. The DVP would walk around and if you tried having a conversation with her all she would want to talk about were appointments and sales etc. She was not a friendly person and I honestly got the impression a lot of the staff were afraid of her. However, the VP was very friendly and you could always talk to him as an equal.

Overall, while this company has beautiful clothing and items it was awful to work for. Thank god I had a close relationship with the other assistants or else I would have hated going to work every day. I have never worked so hard in my life and felt so unappreciated. If I had been compensated higher I may not have minded so much. But being someone's unappreciated employee for $15.00 an hour was not worth it in my opinion. – less
extra fun workplace
Data Entry (Former Employee), Saint-Laurent, QCApril 25, 2013
This company was the best place to work - I loved my job doing data entry - and the people were fantastic - we all got along
Beautiful retail store
Sales Assocaite (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 6, 2013
Pros: staff discounts, friendly staff, free lunches, hourly wages
Cons: politics, high turn over rate, no loyalty
The company is great to work and pays much more hgiher than any other retail stores. Amazing discounts and the staff are all overall friendly. However, Holt Renfrew is a cut throat workplace where as employees disappear so often. Holt Renfrew doesn't not care about employee workplace rights. So the chances if they want you out, your gonna be out despite – more... how long you've been employed with them. I was terminated for no reason, but at least the company was kind enough to give me a two weeks severance pay, which was pretty kind of them. Holt Renfrew is a numbers game where employees who do not meet the companies quotas or image will not last very long. – less
Great to work with did many projects with internal design team well paid with bonus
Project Manager (Former Employee), Quebec, PQ. Montreal, PQ Ottawa, ON, Toronto, ONFebruary 7, 2013
Pros: great expense account
Cons: very demanding client
Great all around company very demanding but fair, and well paid.
Great Employer
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 6, 2012
Holt Renfrew is a great Canadian company to work for. I would highly suggest a career with this company for someone whom is interested in a fast paced, luxury fashion industry.

March 3, 2013

it is a horrible place to shop, unless you want to be humiliated and treated with disrespect!

Would not recommend family or friends to work for this company
Sales Associate (Former Employee), VancouverNovember 7, 2012
Pros: staff discount
Cons: undefined sales boundaries and hostile corporate culture
High turnover, employees are not loyal to the company because the Vancouver store is not managed well. One day management will tell you to cross-sell the store and the next week they will change the rules creating undefined sales boundaries, not to mention making fellow employees angry at each other. Renfrew is lucky that Vancouver is such a wealthy – more... and lucrative market because the customer service is horrible and employee culture is hostile. I would never recommend anyone that I cared about to work for this company, despite the potential for 6 figure pay. – less
fun workplace with eveything you need to enhance the client experience
Beauty Advisor - Chanel (Former Employee), Holt Renfrew Yorkdale shopping mallOctober 10, 2012
Pros: great products to work with at the chanel counter
A great work environment, with the tools and knowledge to succeed.
Makeovers on a daily basis
Updating client files
Sending thank you cards to clients
Housekeeping
Building relationships and starting new ones
Review
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), 50 Bloor St WestAugust 9, 2012
Pros: going to the movies; historic sites and parks
Cons: awareness of the "fine line" in an "attention seeking" display
Carrying out regularly assigned duties related to the provision and supports of the individual, in collaboration with other team members. Identifying the needs of the individuals being supported daily, on a one to one basis or as group. Integrating people with an intellectual disability back into the community.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 27, 2012
A good job if you enjoy working with people and like designer goods. Sales driven environment but still friendly.
Not bad but i've seen better
Visual Presentation (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 19, 2012
Fantastic company to work for, no complaints about the company!
The management is what needs the most improvement!
Productive environment
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee), Renfrew, ONJuly 15, 2012
Pros: free snacks and discounts
Cons: long hours, repetitive
I had worked as a seasonal for Christmas and was kept fairly busy. I had to ensure that all customer satisfaction and optimal shopping experience. I also were responsible for opening, closing, and being knowledgeable for procedures for alterations and damaged goods.

July 31, 2012

Hey there, I was just wondering how you went about finding the job and getting it? Thanks!

five star all the way
sales clerk (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONJuly 11, 2012
Pros: working surrounded by all of the top labels !
Cons: doing inventory
love love loved...working at HR....i have shopped at HR since i was 10 years old and i am no 50 ! Love fashion, always have and enjoy helping others choose their fashion sense of self !
Always enjoyed the comaraderie with co workers , the hardest part of the job was blowing my paycheck before i got it!
very fashion forward place to work at
designated sales associate (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 4, 2012
Pros: summer picnics, staff christmas party, free lunch for all staff on boxing day
Cons: the schedule was different everyday
maintaining a clean and organized department. display cases were cleaned daily . receive stock daily and putting the new items out for display.
confirming appointments for the day,
the most enjoyable part of my position was helping a client from head to toe get the perfect outfit for the specified event.

About Holt Renfrew

Holt Renfrew (also commonly known as Holt's) is a chain of high-end Canadian department stores. It is comparable to Barneys New – Read more