Holt Renfrew Employee Reviews in Canada

One of the best
Image Consultant, YSL Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 23, 2015
Well managed and organized company with good solid professional rules and great customer service.
Excellent product and services

Was very proud to work there
at my early years
Fashion Fun and Busy Place to Work
Designated Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 9, 2015
Fun workplace and environment with supportive management. If interested in fashion, you see products not available anywhere else in Canada.
Overall a great place to work, however it has it's pros and cons.
Compliance Coordinator, Vendor Relations & EDI (Current Employee) –  Renfrew, ONJune 9, 2015
I love my co-workers, they are a great group of dedicated individuals that inspire me everyday.

Our management team has recently been changed and I think the new direction they are moving in will benefit the company on a large scale.
Competitive and busy work environment where employees are passionate about customer service
Menswear Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 12, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed my three years with this company and made meaningful relationships. I was able to express my passion in fashion and customer service. My main focus was my clients, who I am in constant communication with and meet all their needs. Hard work and determination were key for success in meeting goals. My co-workers are a crucial part to my day as they were one of the reasons why I enjoyed my job. Team work was very important and we were always willing to assist one another in any way possible. The only objective I would have is the ability to advance within the company as there is not much opportunity to grow and the most enjoyable part of the job is seeing clients satisfied and building lasting relationships.
fast paste work environment - no managing skills
Merchandiser/ Stock (Former Employee) –  TorontoDecember 26, 2013
At first it is nice to work for Holt Renfrew. The building and the people (customers and co-workers) are generally nice and welcoming. This will last as long as you do youre job good and adequate without any shortcomings, but once I had an accident and was not willing/ able to work for more then 12 hours daily, things changed quickly. After my initial talk to my manager to get more time off and I wanted to cut down to at least 35 to 45 hours a week, I got told to go early home and everything would be fine. After that my schedule got just more hours. My decission to turn my promotion down and to leave the company for my own health got looked down at...I got insulted by the manager and got told over the phone, that I will never ever have any future in the company from the day on.

I am glad I left and the amount of stress, responibility and committment employees at holts have to give without any appriciation results in frustrated workers and is a direct reflection of a poor management. Schedules are changed without notice, I seen (including me) to often employees run out the store crying and whenever changes or a rush happens, the manager vaporizes and wont be found till later. At Holts, the employee who cares the most about doing a perfect job will be the first who gets thrown under the bus.

I am not weak and had bad jobs before in my life, but you need to be strong to survive this negative work environment and the daily critics of your work - regardless of your performance!

I even had nightmares for days after I left, I wont even go close to the department store and walk an
  more... extra 10 minutes every day to walk in a bow arround it.  less
Pros
good benefits
Cons
long hours, bad management
Counter-productive but nice work environment
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 29, 2013
Working at Holt Renfrew has both pros and cons. A lot of over scheduling which eventually leads to counter-productive work and sitting around doing nothing.You experience days where you ask yourself "Why am I here". They are always looking for ways to expand and innovate luxury retail which creates loyalty with clients. A lot of gossiping amongst your co-workers, ambiguity runs high with employees. Management is very non-existent in certain departments but other than that very professional and resourceful when available. There was nothing I couldn't handle while working here, very simple job. Holt Renfrew creates a very warm-hearted and welcoming work environment, they treat employees like family. They host holiday draws, pot-lucks, and constructive work shops.
Pros
gift cards, pot-lucks, constructive workshops.
Cons
long hours, over scheduling, non-existent management.
Gained considerable experience, customer service and law enforcement
Asset Protection Investigator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 9, 2014
At Holt Renfrew, I have achieved a considerable level of ability to work with the public and handle various types of stressful situations as well as emergencies. Providing superior customer service while preventing theft and fraud involving luxury retail merchandise molded me to perform tasks to satisfy both management and customers alike. Working with fellow investigators presented an opportunity for me to become a team player. The most enjoyable part of my job at Holt Renfrew was dealing with different situations and meeting customers needs. The management at Holt Renfrew was always very helpful and informative about our daily and upcoming responsibilities but were always keen to reward us when we went over and beyond our regular duties.
Pros
great environment to gain various soft skills and experiences
Cons
job security
fashion and luxury
Personal assistant for Irene Ye (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCDecember 19, 2013
benefits are perfect, however lots of pressure. hard to save any money when working there.
good
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCDecember 5, 2013
ok place to work offers good benefits and friendly awesome people
High culture and values
Fashion Ambassador for the 2010 Winter Olympics (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 15, 2012
• Represented Holt Renfrew during the 2010 Winter Olympics by working in-store and at Olympic events to promote the company’s brand, products, and services to international visitors
• Wrote and distributed weekly emails to sales staff containing information on the latest Olympic merchandise carried by Holt Renfrew to ensure staff were aware of new products
• Assisted management in coordinating private shopping events featuring celebrity guests by distributing promotional materials and managing customer hospitality
Productive Hard Working yet Fun environment
SENIOR PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 17, 2015
I have truly enjoyed working here. The work is very interesting with a lot of variety and multiple projects on the go. Some balance between the office, travelling onsite and working at home. The fast paced industry with great team support has lead to multiple successes in IT.
Pros
Workload is very busy, the team is very hard working and willing to help each other. A great atmosphere to work in.
Cons
Have not had a permanent IT director in almost 2 years, so decision and budget approvals have been a long slow process.
busy location
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Renfrew, ONJune 18, 2015
sales associate at cosmetic counter. busy location, relatively nice customer, competitive environment. overall good experience
Would not recommend family or friends to work for this company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  VancouverNovember 7, 2012
High turnover, employees are not loyal to the company because the Vancouver store is not managed well. One day management will tell you to cross-sell the store and the next week they will change the rules creating undefined sales boundaries, not to mention making fellow employees angry at each other. Renfrew is lucky that Vancouver is such a wealthy and lucrative market because the customer service is horrible and employee culture is hostile. I would never recommend anyone that I cared about to work for this company, despite the potential for 6 figure pay.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
undefined sales boundaries and hostile corporate culture
Holt Renfrew at its best
Sales associate, stock movement team (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 7, 2014
I've been working for Holt Renfrew for about a year and a half, and I absolutely love it. I went from working at Holt Renfrew's outlet store in Vaughan Mills, then worked in their distribution centre (admin. section) doing paperworks, to help and open Holt Renfrew's second hr2 store, lastly transferring to Holt Renfrew Yorkdale.

My scheduled day would be from 7 a.m. and 8 a.m. depending if I have a lot of work to do the following day. I would start off by doing the most important things, such as putting the new products onto the floor, collecting the day's paperworks, to do last minute touches for big events.

I have nothing but wonderful words to say about my management team to my coworkers. They're all friendly and easy to adapt to, which made it very easy to love working.

The hardest part about working was the stress level, I never wanted to leave work until I was done what I was doing. Whatever I left back, and what I had to do the following day - so I always tried to execute everything before I had to leave for the day. There were times I worked a minimum of 10 hours+ for a week, to help prepare for the Christmas holiday sale.
Pros
free lunches, incentives, acknowledgements
Cons
long hours (schedule for 8 hours, work for 10/11 hours)
Don't be blinded by the pretty interior
Personal Shopping Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 30, 2013
I was a personal shopping assistant at Holt Renfrew. I have to say I was very excited to be working for this company but now that I have worked there I do not see it in the same way.

Compared to other companies the one nice thing about my position was that I made $15.00 an hour. However, after working there and realizing how much work is involved and how under appreciated you are as well as how badly you are treated this is not enough compensation. Seeing a shopper (who may have made their assistant pull the clothes and just shown up for the appointment) make 10% commission on a sale anywhere from $5,000 - $25,000 in an appointment anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour and a half was very disheartening. No, you do not get any commission. Working for someone who does half if not a quarter of the work and then seeing them make $2,500 while you make $15.00, sucks.

We would rarely get our lunch breaks. We were entitled to an hour a day but would be so busy that we wouldn't get the time to take it. To make up for this we would mark down that we had no lunches BUT would get lectured by our managers that we need to take our lunches. They would never speak to the actual personal shoppers and say "make sure your assistant is taking a lunch break." They made it our duty to say something, which for some people is uncomfortable when it can be busy.

All management cared about were sales. If you were making the company money they would treat you like gods, however, if you were in my position they were not friendly. They were constantly on our backs about every little thing. Holding meetings
  more... every so often with the personal shopper to let you know what you are doing WRONG and not showing appreciation for what you are doing RIGHT. The DVP would walk around and if you tried having a conversation with her all she would want to talk about were appointments and sales etc. She was not a friendly person and I honestly got the impression a lot of the staff were afraid of her. However, the VP was very friendly and you could always talk to him as an equal.

Overall, while this company has beautiful clothing and items it was awful to work for. Thank god I had a close relationship with the other assistants or else I would have hated going to work every day. I have never worked so hard in my life and felt so unappreciated. If I had been compensated higher I may not have minded so much. But being someone's unappreciated employee for $15.00 an hour was not worth it in my opinion.
Disappointing Interview Process
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  TorontoOctober 9, 2014
After progressing through a one hour phone screen interview and a Face to Face interview for an HR position, I was disappointed that I never heard back from the Director on the status of my interview process. I invested 4 hours of my time, including travel & also arranging for child care, and would have appreciated the courtesy of a response. I followed up twice and in the end, didn't receive any response. It's disappointing when the management does not live up to the values of the company and I feel it shows a lack of integrity and respect for those candidates who are also customers.
Making a day out of Data entry
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 10, 2015
I learned that diligence and work ethic is key in completing any task.
on a daily basis i would arrive at work, sit at my desk and complete the task at hand. if i completed the daily task prior to a full day of working, i would start on the next
i enjoyed the experience and the happiness my co-workers showed day to day
it was hard to do the tedious work, but manageable, and i got the work done in a timely fashion
great place
Investigator (Current Employee) –  torontoJune 28, 2015
great place to work lots of fun to work
get to meet many different types of people
work benefit is also great that you can enjoy
Management had favouritism
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Renfrew, ONJanuary 16, 2015
Very good company to work with but the management at HR2 Vaughn location was horrible, a lot of favouritism an discrimination, i was hired on a seasonal basis but from the one month was there it was quite fun but a lot of politics.
Pros
good benefit
Cons
management was horrible
Upbeat workplace with friendly and creative co-workers
CO-OP Student (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 26, 2014
The staff always made sure one has a task to do. Very interested in getting you know you as an individual. Everyone there are very well organized and creative. A incredibly desirable place to work.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with a team to create instillations to be set up in the store. Music is played, coffee is nearby and everyone is happy and having a great time.

The hardest part of the job was mending to the floor. Holt Renfrew is known for "high-class" merchandise so you're bound to encounter problematic customers. Reaching an agreement and satisfying the customer is always a key goal so you sometimes need to be patient. Co-workers are always willing to give you a hand when in need.
Pros
workplace experience
Cons
troublesome customers