Holt Renfrew Employee Reviews

Would not recommend family or friends to work for this company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  VancouverNovember 7, 2012
High turnover, employees are not loyal to the company because the Vancouver store is not managed well. One day management will tell you to cross-sell the store and the next week they will change the rules creating undefined sales boundaries, not to mention making fellow employees angry at each other. Renfrew is lucky that Vancouver is such a wealthy and lucrative market because the customer service is horrible and employee culture is hostile. I would never recommend anyone that I cared about to work for this company, despite the potential for 6 figure pay.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
undefined sales boundaries and hostile corporate culture
Amazing company
Sales Associate (Footwear) (Former Employee) –  Toronto OntarioApril 4, 2014
Holt Renfrew is often associated with a snobby staff aswell as mixed reviews on how they treat there employees.

The year I spent working with Holts was one of my favourites. Great staff, great management and an overwhelming sense of entrepreneurship. Holts is one of few companies with what I refer to as the "skies the limit" point of view. Holts gives you the basic tools and training you need to really develop a loyal clientèle.

One of few companies that actually has a pay structure that strongly encourages employees that how hard you work equals how much you make. It is a phenomenal company for someone with a passion for the fashion industry and is not scared to take those few extra steps that separates Holt Renfrew service from its competition. especially when they reward you well for your work.

If you get a chance to work for this company... take it. They will do nothing but open doors for you.
Pros
great staff, product, management, salary etc...
Cons
nothing you wouldn't have at any other job.
Exciting and welcoming work place
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 30, 2016
- Coworkers and managers were all positive, friendly, and respectful
- Schedule hours were as desired
- I enjoyed learning and being creative with the visual process
High culture and values
Fashion Ambassador for the 2010 Winter Olympics (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 15, 2012
• Represented Holt Renfrew during the 2010 Winter Olympics by working in-store and at Olympic events to promote the company’s brand, products, and services to international visitors
• Wrote and distributed weekly emails to sales staff containing information on the latest Olympic merchandise carried by Holt Renfrew to ensure staff were aware of new products
• Assisted management in coordinating private shopping events featuring celebrity guests by distributing promotional materials and managing customer hospitality
Fashion Fun and Busy Place to Work
Designated Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 9, 2015
Fun workplace and environment with supportive management. If interested in fashion, you see products not available anywhere else in Canada.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Renfrew, ONMay 16, 2015
Great company to work at. Fun, laid-back, exciting, and awesome benefits. Defiantly would suggest working there to people in the future.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Long Hours
Holt Renfrew at its best
Sales associate, stock movement team (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 7, 2014
I've been working for Holt Renfrew for about a year and a half, and I absolutely love it. I went from working at Holt Renfrew's outlet store in Vaughan Mills, then worked in their distribution centre (admin. section) doing paperworks, to help and open Holt Renfrew's second hr2 store, lastly transferring to Holt Renfrew Yorkdale.

My scheduled day would be from 7 a.m. and 8 a.m. depending if I have a lot of work to do the following day. I would start off by doing the most important things, such as putting the new products onto the floor, collecting the day's paperworks, to do last minute touches for big events.

I have nothing but wonderful words to say about my management team to my coworkers. They're all friendly and easy to adapt to, which made it very easy to love working.

The hardest part about working was the stress level, I never wanted to leave work until I was done what I was doing. Whatever I left back, and what I had to do the following day - so I always tried to execute everything before I had to leave for the day. There were times I worked a minimum of 10 hours+ for a week, to help prepare for the Christmas holiday sale.
Pros
free lunches, incentives, acknowledgements
Cons
long hours (schedule for 8 hours, work for 10/11 hours)
Management had favouritism
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Renfrew, ONJanuary 16, 2015
Very good company to work with but the management at HR2 Vaughn location was horrible, a lot of favouritism an discrimination, i was hired on a seasonal basis but from the one month was there it was quite fun but a lot of politics.
Pros
good benefit
Cons
management was horrible
Overall a great place to work, however it has it's pros and cons.
Compliance Coordinator, Vendor Relations & EDI (Current Employee) –  Renfrew, ONJune 9, 2015
I love my co-workers, they are a great group of dedicated individuals that inspire me everyday.

Our management team has recently been changed and I think the new direction they are moving in will benefit the company on a large scale.
fast paste work environment - no managing skills
Merchandiser/ Stock (Former Employee) –  TorontoDecember 26, 2013
At first it is nice to work for Holt Renfrew. The building and the people (customers and co-workers) are generally nice and welcoming. This will last as long as you do youre job good and adequate without any shortcomings, but once I had an accident and was not willing/ able to work for more then 12 hours daily, things changed quickly. After my initial talk to my manager to get more time off and I wanted to cut down to at least 35 to 45 hours a week, I got told to go early home and everything would be fine. After that my schedule got just more hours. My decission to turn my promotion down and to leave the company for my own health got looked down at...I got insulted by the manager and got told over the phone, that I will never ever have any future in the company from the day on.

I am glad I left and the amount of stress, responibility and committment employees at holts have to give without any appriciation results in frustrated workers and is a direct reflection of a poor management. Schedules are changed without notice, I seen (including me) to often employees run out the store crying and whenever changes or a rush happens, the manager vaporizes and wont be found till later. At Holts, the employee who cares the most about doing a perfect job will be the first who gets thrown under the bus.

I am not weak and had bad jobs before in my life, but you need to be strong to survive this negative work environment and the daily critics of your work - regardless of your performance!

I even had nightmares for days after I left, I wont even go close to the department store and walk an
  more... extra 10 minutes every day to walk in a bow arround it.  less
Pros
good benefits
Cons
long hours, bad management
Productive and fun place to work
Shoe Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Renfrew, ONJanuary 9, 2014
Stocking shoes and working with people you have fun with make the job enjoyable on a daily basis. I would recommend working for the company. If you work hard they will keep you on and it's a great place to work especially if you're still in school.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
can be boring when shoe orders are slow
Beautiful retail store
Sales Assocaite (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 6, 2013
The company is great to work and pays much more hgiher than any other retail stores. Amazing discounts and the staff are all overall friendly. However, Holt Renfrew is a cut throat workplace where as employees disappear so often. Holt Renfrew doesn't not care about employee workplace rights. So the chances if they want you out, your gonna be out despite how long you've been employed with them. I was terminated for no reason, but at least the company was kind enough to give me a two weeks severance pay, which was pretty kind of them. Holt Renfrew is a numbers game where employees who do not meet the companies quotas or image will not last very long.
Pros
staff discounts, friendly staff, free lunches, hourly wages
Cons
politics, high turn over rate, no loyalty
One of the best
Image Consultant, YSL Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 23, 2015
Well managed and organized company with good solid professional rules and great customer service.
Excellent product and services

Was very proud to work there
at my early years
Designated Specialist for Ippolita (Current Employee) –  Renfrew, CalgaryFebruary 21, 2014
Upon arrival we make sure that our deparment is in order, product is organized, clean and supplies are replenished. Customers are always first, any down time is spent in reorganizing product to make sure everything is appealing to customers eye.
I have learned different product lines, designers, where they come from and how they are made, what stones and material are used to create each product.
Management and co-workers are all 1st. rate very professional on all levels.
Hardest part of this job is the commute to and from with transit. I live one block from Chinook hence the reason for change.
Most enjoyable part is the comaraderie of staff and management as well meeting and enjoyment of our customer.
Pros
training availability, interaction with managment, feeling of being part of the whole picture.
Cons
commute to and from job
Disappointing Interview Process
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  TorontoOctober 9, 2014
After progressing through a one hour phone screen interview and a Face to Face interview for an HR position, I was disappointed that I never heard back from the Director on the status of my interview process. I invested 4 hours of my time, including travel & also arranging for child care, and would have appreciated the courtesy of a response. I followed up twice and in the end, didn't receive any response. It's disappointing when the management does not live up to the values of the company and I feel it shows a lack of integrity and respect for those candidates who are also customers.
Competitive and busy work environment where employees are passionate about customer service
Menswear Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 12, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed my three years with this company and made meaningful relationships. I was able to express my passion in fashion and customer service. My main focus was my clients, who I am in constant communication with and meet all their needs. Hard work and determination were key for success in meeting goals. My co-workers are a crucial part to my day as they were one of the reasons why I enjoyed my job. Team work was very important and we were always willing to assist one another in any way possible. The only objective I would have is the ability to advance within the company as there is not much opportunity to grow and the most enjoyable part of the job is seeing clients satisfied and building lasting relationships.
busy location
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Renfrew, ONJune 18, 2015
sales associate at cosmetic counter. busy location, relatively nice customer, competitive environment. overall good experience
Great environment to blossom and establish oneself.
Aethetician,Make-up Artist,Spa-Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 4, 2014
I loved working here, it was my passion. Lovely staff and customers it really was like living in a dream and getting paid. I learned that nothing is what it seems.Beautiful souls should be beautiful. soo simple and so true.I discovered many ways to bring out a persons beauty but also learned how to be better myself.Most enjoyable is I felt like family.Hardest part of the job is the corporate feel.
Pros
recognition and incentive.
Cons
long hours and constant events.
High End Canadian owned Department Store
Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 19, 2014
A successful company located throughout Canada. Good team atmosphere and a solid management team in place.

Typical duties of Counter manager included but not limited to; Inventory management, Inventory reporting, Building relationships with new clients while maintaining relationships with existing clients, Brand training on the Khiel's product line to both internal staff, vendors and external shareholders, Event coordination and financial reporting.
Fast moving enviroment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 19, 2015
Work with many different types of client’s every day. Assisting clients with various things on a daily basis. Fast moving environment, must be good at fast thinking and problem solving skills
benefits
Cons
salary, hours