Holt Renfrew

Holt Renfrew Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Hardest part of the job
Assisted the sales associate (Former Employee), Yorkdale MallSeptember 16, 2014
The hardest part of the job is when the month of December hits, and the store/mall get really busy that we're always on our feet
The Co-Workers make the place
Shipping/Receiving (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 15, 2014
Pros: sometimes you get a thank you
Cons: management
Make sure shipments go out with local courier
I learned to create shipping labels and sending important things out via Brinks
Management not the greatest
The best part of work are your co-workers
Hardest part is to make everyone happy
Enjoyable part has to be feeling you accomplished alot in the day
simple
Spécialiste, Burberry (Former Employee), Montréal, QCJuly 30, 2014
management was missing skills
hardest part of thr job was to give an explanation for missing variety
Fantastic
Denim Specialist - Menswear (Former Employee), Montréal, QCJuly 21, 2014
Great working environment. Wonderful staff, pleasant customers.
HOLT RENFREW
Stock Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 14, 2014
Pros: name brand clothes
Cons: stuck up people
- busy,
i learned that working with people with money is not easy, especially when they know you dont have as much money as them
-hardest part of the job is going up
-the most enjoyable part is being around name brand clothes
High End Canadian owned Department Store
Counter Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 19, 2014
A successful company located throughout Canada. Good team atmosphere and a solid management team in place.

Typical duties of Counter manager included but not limited to; Inventory management, Inventory reporting, Building relationships with new clients while maintaining relationships with existing clients, Brand training on the Khiel's product line – more... to both internal staff, vendors and external shareholders, Event coordination and financial reporting. – less
Great environment to blossom and establish oneself.
Aethetician,Make-up Artist,Spa-Coordinator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 4, 2014
Pros: recognition and incentive.
Cons: long hours and constant events.
I loved working here, it was my passion. Lovely staff and customers it really was like living in a dream and getting paid. I learned that nothing is what it seems.Beautiful souls should be beautiful. soo simple and so true.I discovered many ways to bring out a persons beauty but also learned how to be better myself.Most enjoyable is I felt like family.Hardest – more... part of the job is the corporate feel. – less
great staff discounts and great hours
Counter Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 30, 2014
coming in to work at 9 AM.
I learned how to be aggressive sales person here.
Management was never around hardly.
Co-workers socialized lots here.
Hardest part of my job was that the store had slow traffic especially in the summer.
Most enjoyable part of my job was working in a store that offered incredible products.
Amazing company
Sales Associate (Footwear) (Former Employee), Toronto OntarioApril 4, 2014
Pros: great staff, product, management, salary etc...
Cons: nothing you wouldn't have at any other job.
Holt Renfrew is often associated with a snobby staff aswell as mixed reviews on how they treat there employees.

The year I spent working with Holts was one of my favourites. Great staff, great management and an overwhelming sense of entrepreneurship. Holts is one of few companies with what I refer to as the "skies the limit" point of view. Holts gives – more... you the basic tools and training you need to really develop a loyal clientèle.

One of few companies that actually has a pay structure that strongly encourages employees that how hard you work equals how much you make. It is a phenomenal company for someone with a passion for the fashion industry and is not scared to take those few extra steps that separates Holt Renfrew service from its competition. especially when they reward you well for your work.

If you get a chance to work for this company... take it. They will do nothing but open doors for you. – less
Designated Specialist for Ippolita (Current Employee), Renfrew, CalgaryFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: training availability, interaction with managment, feeling of being part of the whole picture.
Cons: commute to and from job
Upon arrival we make sure that our deparment is in order, product is organized, clean and supplies are replenished. Customers are always first, any down time is spent in reorganizing product to make sure everything is appealing to customers eye.
I have learned different product lines, designers, where they come from and how they are made, what stones – more... and material are used to create each product.
Management and co-workers are all 1st. rate very professional on all levels.
Hardest part of this job is the commute to and from with transit. I live one block from Chinook hence the reason for change.
Most enjoyable part is the comaraderie of staff and management as well meeting and enjoyment of our customer. – less
No job security
HR2 Buying Office Coordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 11, 2014
No job security. My contract was extended at the end of every month for only a month, for over a year.
Productive and fun place to work
Shoe Stock Associate (Current Employee), Renfrew, ONJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: can be boring when shoe orders are slow
Stocking shoes and working with people you have fun with make the job enjoyable on a daily basis. I would recommend working for the company. If you work hard they will keep you on and it's a great place to work especially if you're still in school.
Holt Renfrew at its best
Sales associate, stock movement team (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: free lunches, incentives, acknowledgements
Cons: long hours (schedule for 8 hours, work for 10/11 hours)
I've been working for Holt Renfrew for about a year and a half, and I absolutely love it. I went from working at Holt Renfrew's outlet store in Vaughan Mills, then worked in their distribution centre (admin. section) doing paperworks, to help and open Holt Renfrew's second hr2 store, lastly transferring to Holt Renfrew Yorkdale.

My scheduled day would – more... be from 7 a.m. and 8 a.m. depending if I have a lot of work to do the following day. I would start off by doing the most important things, such as putting the new products onto the floor, collecting the day's paperworks, to do last minute touches for big events.

I have nothing but wonderful words to say about my management team to my coworkers. They're all friendly and easy to adapt to, which made it very easy to love working.

The hardest part about working was the stress level, I never wanted to leave work until I was done what I was doing. Whatever I left back, and what I had to do the following day - so I always tried to execute everything before I had to leave for the day. There were times I worked a minimum of 10 hours+ for a week, to help prepare for the Christmas holiday sale. – less
Counter-productive but nice work environment
Stock Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 29, 2013
Pros: gift cards, pot-lucks, constructive workshops.
Cons: long hours, over scheduling, non-existent management.
Working at Holt Renfrew has both pros and cons. A lot of over scheduling which eventually leads to counter-productive work and sitting around doing nothing.You experience days where you ask yourself "Why am I here". They are always looking for ways to expand and innovate luxury retail which creates loyalty with clients. A lot of gossiping amongst your – more... co-workers, ambiguity runs high with employees. Management is very non-existent in certain departments but other than that very professional and resourceful when available. There was nothing I couldn't handle while working here, very simple job. Holt Renfrew creates a very warm-hearted and welcoming work environment, they treat employees like family. They host holiday draws, pot-lucks, and constructive work shops. – less
Hostile and ego-driven divas.
Jr. Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 28, 2013
Pros: great fashion if you can afford it, some friendly people
Cons: hostile team, unprofessional egos, poor management, no development, reverse discrimination
I worked in the Visual Presentation department for a little over a year and looking back I'm surprised I stuck around that long! I began as an intern and was hired full-time after two months. What interested me was the money I was getting for someone who was still in the learning process of Visual Merchandising, the hours being 9-5 Mon-Fri, Job stability – more... and my Manager who was really warm and sweet.

It didn't take long for all of that to change. Six weeks into my role my Manager who took me under her wing quit to go to another company. My second mentor left to go to another department. And for the next two months we were left with NO MANAGEMENT!! WHich means I wasn't learning anything! And I left school because I was promised on the job training! For the next two months I was left all alone with rest of the Visual team who had NO love for me at ALL. I had been warned by my mentors that if you were a hetro and/or not female you would not be welcomed.

The main Visual Stylist was a quiet homosexual man who did not communicate very well with anyone because he just wanted to do his own thing and didn't care about being a mentor, even if we was striving to become a Manager someday. The female Visual Merchandiser was incredibly two-faced who tried to get her Manager (my first Mentor) fired because she hired a Hetro-sexual Stylist (my second mentor) whose personality didn't "fit-in". Another Homosexual male stylist who joined the team later and seemed friendly at first quickly turned and became a huge diva whose ego was bigger then his actual talent! Another female stylist, who also was hired after me, had so much emotional baggage and would display her stress and emotional fits freely in front of the team! She was truly emotionally unstable! The four divas certainly meshed well together and were joined at the hip.

FInally a new Manager (Male and Homosexual) came along who had a reputation for being a no-nonsense, professional sort who I could learn a lot from and would clean up the problems in our department! That reputation quickly faded. At first, we would communicate with each other and I would fill him in on the attitudes and problems that was going on in the department. He said he knew and was eager to clean up. He fired one of the Divas whose ego was bigger than his talent. Things looked good at the beginning, but that didn't last long! HE began to develop a DIva quality himself. He delegated from his desk chair. He would mock me because I didn't know how to do something (I was suppose to have been trained by them, remember. That was the point I took the job.) ANd he would have Interns learn some skills that I was suppose to be learning. All he had me do was paint the windows. He would sell-out the people that believed in him when he first came out by pointing their mistakes and flaws behind their backs to the GM. He picked his favourites. And although the Main Diva HATED the Manager the Manager would gleefully suck up to him while bad mouthing him behind his back. There was SO MUCH TENSION between the Diva and the Manager that I thought the Diva's head would have an atomic explosion. The Main Diva wanted the Manager's position, that's why. Finally, when the Manager yelled at me on the floor in front of customers blaming me because his favourite stylist (a female) had left without communicating with me and left the work unfinished I had had enough. It only solidified my decision the next morning when I walked in and the Manager was being all sweet to his favourite stylist and complimenting her shoes, instead of straightening her out for leaving without finishing or cleaning up. When I gave him my two weeks notice he just laughed and asked for a particular intern's phone number whom he had wanted to hire. He became the worst Diva of them ALL!

I thought it was going to be a place of incredible professionalism and talent. A great learning experience! but it was a waste of over a year where I was surrounded by fashion divas and over-swelled egos! I would NOT wish this on anyone!! – less
Great environmnet and team work
Distribution Clerk/Lead Hand Assistant/Processor (Former Employee), EtobicokeDecember 28, 2013
Pros: when you worked overtime, they gave us $5.00 for supper money.
I enjoyed my job very much, and it was the Best Job I ever had in my life. Great Team work, and wonderful employees as well. The assistant manager didn't like me, and always seemed to give me a hard time, and always seemed to be on my back. He would roll his eyes at me all the time, to try and intimidate me. He made fun of me as well, as I'm a True – more... Christian. I worked there 5 years as Seasonal worker and he knew I wanted F/T and they hired 4 people on F/T who started way after I did, when he knew I wanted F/T. It took 5 years to get on F/T. I had to quit 2 years later because of him. I went on vacation in May and didn't come back, as I wasn't ever going back there again. He called a meeting of all the employees when I never came back to let all of them know I was fired. I wasn't fired. I sent a letter to the manager and let him know I wasn't coming back. My mistake was, that I should've gone to Human Resources as well as the Manager to let them know about this. I will never live this down. I also worked at the Bloor Street store for 3 months to help out in their busy season in cosmetics stock room and shipping and receiving, and it was Absolutely Wonderful working there. I knew the Manager of Shipping/Receiving from Etobicoke. It was a wonderful environment and atmosphere. I've tried to go back there since they downsized. I was called 3x to come in, for a Group Interview, but I can't do that. – less
fast paste work environment - no managing skills
Merchandiser/ Stock (Former Employee), TorontoDecember 26, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: long hours, bad management
At first it is nice to work for Holt Renfrew. The building and the people (customers and co-workers) are generally nice and welcoming. This will last as long as you do youre job good and adequate without any shortcomings, but once I had an accident and was not willing/ able to work for more then 12 hours daily, things changed quickly. After my initial – more... talk to my manager to get more time off and I wanted to cut down to at least 35 to 45 hours a week, I got told to go early home and everything would be fine. After that my schedule got just more hours. My decission to turn my promotion down and to leave the company for my own health got looked down at...I got insulted by the manager and got told over the phone, that I will never ever have any future in the company from the day on.

I am glad I left and the amount of stress, responibility and committment employees at holts have to give without any appriciation results in frustrated workers and is a direct reflection of a poor management. Schedules are changed without notice, I seen (including me) to often employees run out the store crying and whenever changes or a rush happens, the manager vaporizes and wont be found till later. At Holts, the employee who cares the most about doing a perfect job will be the first who gets thrown under the bus.

I am not weak and had bad jobs before in my life, but you need to be strong to survive this negative work environment and the daily critics of your work - regardless of your performance!

I even had nightmares for days after I left, I wont even go close to the department store and walk an extra 10 minutes every day to walk in a bow arround it. – less
fashion and luxury
Personal assistant for Irene Ye (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 19, 2013
benefits are perfect, however lots of pressure. hard to save any money when working there.
good
Sales Manager (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 5, 2013
ok place to work offers good benefits and friendly awesome people
Fun and energetic team.
Loss Prevention Investigator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 15, 2013
Pros: fast paced, fun environment
Cons: have to work weekends
I was fortunate to have worked with such a great group of people.

About Holt Renfrew

Holt Renfrew (also commonly known as Holt's) is a chain of high-end Canadian department stores. It is comparable to Barneys New – Read more