HollyFrontier Employee Reviews

Zero work life balance
Operator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OK6 October 2017
I am a former employee of 10 years. If you're a single, tail kissing, individual who is willing to work endless hours then this is the place for you. In Tulsa, overal the management is horrible and demands production no matter if the job is done safely or not. I personally witnessed a significant injury on equipment that had been written up several times. There are many good people located at the Tulsa refinery but the management is very very poor.
could be a great place to work
Warehouse Clerk/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WY22 September 2017
great work to do. I work in the warehouse and the people I worked with was top notch and fun. Had poor management with mass confusion on how things should be run.
Pros
good work enviroment fuun people to work with good benifits
Cons
poor managment
Fast Pace
Data entry (Former Employee) –  Artesia, NM9 August 2017
Very fast pace, Only two women doing all of the data entry for the trucking company.
Worked with several different companies on run tickets.
Enjoyed the people I worked with
Pros
Learning data entry
Cons
Good Learning experience
Higher Paying with Loaded Stress and Old School Management
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Anonymous2 August 2017
A high-stress job with very old school management that is more about looking good than doing a good job. Poor management styles with growth only if you can impress the right person. The culture is very poor and they do not care because they pay well so people stay.
Pros
Higher Pay
Cons
Not a very good culture.
New Management Team - lots of challenges
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TX7 July 2017
I've worked at HollyFrontier since 2011.

As of 2016, a new management team has taken over that is promising change and doubling the size of the company by 2020.

That will be great for people at the top but the probably withe the culture is that all the support groups will or have been pushed to the limit because management does not want to add head count or add employees to the bench.

The company can have great work/life balance. However the trade-off to this advantage is that advancement in your career is difficult. Not unlike many other corporations, politics play a heavy part. The historical advancement process is to wait for the individual in front of you to either leave the company, retire, or any number of reasons besides your own performance. It is well understood that not every junior level employee can become manager but if HollyFrontier wants to play with the big boys (Valero/ Phillips 66 / Tesoro) - it will need to managed its talent in a similar manner. HFC's peers have well-developed succession and rotation plans in place that allow for development and retention of its employees.

Culture here is very laidback and it can be fun. Mostly a good ol' boys club and not much gender or racial diversity - Not as bad as other oil and gas companies but still very apparent.

I do believe in some of the management here but HFC needs a serious culture overhaul and if you are looking to advance quickly, this is not the time to join. There are some serious structural issues that need to be repaired so that your career is not held hostage (speaking from experience).
  more... Even working for a great boss does not translate into career advancement.  less
Fun and productive office dynamic
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OK5 June 2017
I love working at Holly Frontier and really enjoy my fellow yield accountants. The office dynamic is very laid back but structured, which I enjoy. The work is challenging and offers continuous growth.
Pros
Great people; small team
Cons
na
productive place to work
Journeyman Pump Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Woods Cross, UT24 January 2017
good coworkers and team building program great benefits and pay one of the best jobs I have had would work for them again.
Pros
paid lunch
Great people and loved selling ATV's and Watercrafts, Also farming equipment
Environmental Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Artesia, NM16 September 2016
Looked up parts for farming and industrial equipment.
Unloaded atv's and assembled them before selling to customers.
Enjoyed meeting many different people!
Pros
Commissions on sales
Cons
Worked every Saturday for many years
im a fast learner
Farm Hand (Former Employee) –  Artesia, NM1 May 2016
I can start any day I an a hard worker I don't like to miss out on my jobs I learned a lot about farming my haresr part was moving tarps
Gdcgv fhncd. Ybccgn
Pros
hour lunch break
Cons
i have bad ashma
Great
Laborer/Helper (Former Employee) –  West Bountiful, UT20 December 2015
I had a great time working for them they were always willing to work with you and the management is great.You go to work every day knowing what job you are doing and the people you work with have positive attitudes, also the Foreman that works there is intelligent and teaches you in a educational and effective manner.
Pros
Long work hours
Cons
No benefits
Good company
Qualified Rackmen - Head Craftsmen#1 (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WY2 December 2015
Competitive workplace with a good group of employees, that are willing to go the extra mile to make things safe and productive for the company.
Pros
Co-workers
Companny in transition
Shift Foreman 1, Hazmat Coordinator 10years, Oil (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WY19 October 2015
I was at the Cheyenne Refinery and the transition with the merger was not as smooth and it could had been. Poor communication from corporate created preventable issues.
I do feel HF is a good place to work and the safety program will reduce injuries to below the national average.
Over all a good and safe company to work for.
Pros
pay is good
Cons
Poor communication
Contracted Employee
Planner/Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KS11 July 2015
Great company to work for, management works well with contractors. Planning for projects is prudent and realistic. Good people, fun to work with
My work day at hollyfrontier
Service Center Analyst (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TX11 May 2015
A key member of the first line support ream for Hollyfrontier. Daily duties include, answering phones, resetting passwords in SAP, Active directory, empac and Datastream. Working on new hire requests, assisting the team with unassigned tickets from the queue. Outbound calls and emails for customer follow up to make sure requests have been completed and incidents have been resolved. I also remote to users pc to further assist in troubleshooting errors related to hardware or software. Also create ids for new employees.
Pros
Great company, room for advancement
Cons
Downtown traffic can be hard at times
Great Place to work best Supervisor I've ever had
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Artesia, NM18 March 2015
A typical day at Hollyfrontier could either be really hectic or extremely leisurely. The basic rundown was to check emails,respond in a timely manner and then continue with the daily duties. The duties included data entry of crude oil tickets, and working with spreadsheets. The most enjoyable part were the employees which always made the day go by fast. The least enjoyable was the amount of paperwork there would be at times.
Pros
Experience, Great Boss, Benefits, Monday through Friday.
Enjoyable place to work. Extremely nice people. Enjoy the work
Data entry on run tickets (Current Employee) –  Artesia, NM19 January 2015
A typical day of work is to come in check my emails. Answering business emails. Start entering my run tickets.

I have learned data entry. Learning a lot about the different types of oils.

My co-workers are very nice people. Everyone helps and gets a long well with each other. We work as a team

The hardest part of the job is setting all day.

The most enjoyable part of my job is my co-workers, my supervisor and learning different jobs.
Great benefits
Traffic Associate II (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne30 October 2014
I truly enjoyed working for Holly. It was the best company I have worked with. Pays very well and they offer great benefits
An exciting and prodctive workplace with no dull moments.
Safety Department Intern (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WY23 July 2014
Wrote numerous permits ranging from confined space to excavations. Initiated a Hydrogen Sulfide gas monitoring system for the entire plant. Also set up new 4 gas and 6 gas monitors for the refinery. Worked with some very cooperative people, and some very uncooperative people which made for a very interesting workday. Management was very cooperative and supportive with answering questions if I ever had them. The most enjoyable part of the day was knowing that what I did made a difference for the people that worked there.
Pros
Free lunch occasionally
Lots of great training and room for advancement
Business Process Analyst (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TX14 March 2014
HFC is a great company with lots of room for growth and the training is top notch. The leadership at HFC is wonderful, by far the best company I have ever worked for.
Pros
The work atmosphere is very pleasant and I recieved great training.
A good company to work for.
Business Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TX26 December 2013
HollyFrontier is a good company to work for. they are growing day by day. The team is really eager to build and better the systems all the time, although management bottlenecks the growth at times.

Overall, no complaints.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HollyFrontier. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3