Under the direction of the Director of Dietary Manager, the Cook is responsible for optimal food preparation to residents and families based on legislative requirements.
- Prepare and/or be responsible for the preparation/delivery of food following therapeutic diets according to planned menus for residents, tenants, and guests
- Review menus before preparing meals and prepare and serve them properly and attractively
- Ensure use of proper food handling techniques
- Follow daily production charts, standardized recipes and daily composite menus, while working within a set budget;
- Complete all necessary documentation (food and refrigeration temperatures, date & label food properly, menu changes) as assigned
- Monitor quality of food supplies received and advise Director of Dietary Services of problems.
- Report food, supply, and equipment needs to the Director of Dietary Services. Communicate and cooperate with residents and their families;
- May participate in resident care conferences and progress reviews;
- Attend Resident Food Committee meetings as requested;
Successful candidates will possess the following:
- Successful completion of a minimum 1 year program in Food Preparation/Chef Training or Culinary Arts from an Accredited College and/or must hold Real Seal issued by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities;
- Up to date certification in the Food Safety Awareness Program offered by Public Health;
- Experience in large quantity food preparation, preferably in health care or long term care setting
- Ability to read, write and accurately follow written and verbal instructions. Basic computer skills are required
- Previous knowledge of the Ontario Food Premises Regulation, Food Safety Code of Practice
- Working knowledge of special and therapeutic diets
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with residents of a LTC home
- Leadership ability and be able to direct the dietary department in the absence of the Director of Dietary Services and the Chef.
Only suitable applicants will be contacted.