Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital Employee Reviews in Canada

Client centered care and team oriented
Pre-Graduate Practical Nursing Student on 3SODR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 26, 2016
Amazing learning environment for a pre-graduate placement. Health care team is phenomenal and team work focused. Usually 8 or 12 hour rotational shifts throughout the week, with 3-4 patient assignments.
Amazing Environment
Recreational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 28, 2016
Working at Holland Bloorview added so many amazing skills to my work ethic. Getting to work with the children every day and do something that I enjoyed and could feel good about was extremely rewarding. I loved my time at Holland Bloorivew.
Gained experience with ABI & other Special needs
Child, Youth & Rehab Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 12, 2015
Gained experience and education with ABI and other special needs patients. Developed & Implemented behaviour plans with patients. Supported families; Worked with multi-displinary team
Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital is dedicated to creating a world of possibilities for children and youth with disabilities.
Family Support Fund and Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 22, 2015
Holland Bloorview offers the opportunity to make a difference, impacting lives and challenging the staff with in an atmosphere that is defined by dynamic people doing remarkable work on a daily basis.
One of the hospital-wide projects was to streamline all processes from initial referral to first appointment and through all levels of therapy to discharge. LEAN is a customer-centric methodology used to continuously improve any process through the elimination of waste in everything you do; it is based on the ideas of “Continuous Incremental Improvement” and “Respect for People.” As you can imagine this was a lengthy and challenging project. I was impressed with the detailed, solution-oriented participation of all levels involved.
There was a variety to my daily responsibilities that kept me interested and valued by my colleagues and clients. I find this atmosphere very motivating. The trust from direct management to complete a task independently or within a team effort is very satisfying.
I would always recommend employment at HBKRH to anyone interested in making a difference in the lives of others and thereby improving your own character and career goals.
Pros
Positive, focused atmosphere
Cons
non
Exciting, enriching environment with talented people
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 19, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was the people - great environment with a wealth of talented scientists that work together as well as separately. Lots of engineering as well as clinical studies being done to improve rehabilitation for children. An important feature of Holland Bloorview is that scientists get to connect their research with clinical studies held right at the hospital itself, which is very helpful. The work environment is beautiful due to the new architectural design of the building and the children who come to the hospital for care.
Recognize the need for work-life balance workplace environment
Occupational Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  TorontoJune 10, 2013
Daily interaction with employees, physicians, volunteers and students with concerns requiring assistance from an occupational health, safety and wellness professional.
Pros
variety of job demands
Cons
parking
Great experience working with children with a variety of musculoskeltal and developmental disorders
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 1, 2013
Volunteering at Holland-Bloorview opened my eyes to the children most in need of the attention that dedicated volunteers can give. Since many of the patients were under the age of 12, being an active part of of their social maturation, and cognitive development was rewarding in a way that is indescribable. The atmosphere is warm and welcoming, and the senior staff know their job, and provide all the training for newcomers.
Pros
experience with special orthopaedic rehabilition, as well as complex continuing care
In serious need of improvement
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 23, 2012
The best part of the day was definitely the clients and their families and the feeling that you had made a difference in someone's life. Front line staff are extremely dedicated and knowledgeable -- they stay because of their dedication in spite of ridiculous and backwards management style. Upper management in particular needs to give their collective heads a shake. They would like to see this organization run like an assembly-line factory without realizing that these are people that we are dealing with, not products. There are many practices that are not client-centred at all and which are intended to push as many people through as possible without consideration for the quality of work. In the last year that I was there I saw many staff quit in frustration or who were fired for not toeing the party line. Abysmal HR department that does nothing to support staff. Salary is not in line with other hospitals. Extremely poor morale -- I left in part because I couldn't stand to listen to all the complaining about the toxic work environment. To call this one of GTA's "top" employers is a joke.
Pros
unique and challenging client population
Cons
poor management, lack of staff recognition, terrible cafeteria food, dark minuscule gym, new staff need to park in offsite lot and walk 10 min.
Iliked the fact that you usually had a veriety of jobs to do plus you would get different thigs to take care of you never knew what you might be fixin
Maintenance technician (Former Employee) –  scarbero ont.September 27, 2012
It thought it was overall a purity good place to work for. the nice thing was you had a opportunity to learn a variety of things plumbing repairs or electrical repairs or carpentry work
Pros
exelent benefits
Cons
shift work weekends
Overall great placement
Pre-Grad Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 2, 2012
 Handled the problems, queries and complaints of patient and their families.
 Responsible for the 3-5 bed unit paediatric patient's care, medication schedules, all documents and reports.
 Deal with children with full care and responsibilities recovering from brain injuries
Pros
amazing staff
Cons
n/a

4.3