Holiday Retirement

Holiday Retirement Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good
Community Sales Leader (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 21, 2014
Staff were great to work with.
Senior management was tough but some were good leaders.
Job is what you make it - Fun to work with seniors
Community Manager-Live (Current Employee), St. Catharines, ONApril 12, 2013
Pros: free rent and food- good bonus's if you can sell
Cons: long hours and having to say goodbye to residents who pass on
Early morning start at 6:30 am
Eat breakfast with residents then manage building by:
Dealing with employees and residents non stop.
Cold calling and produced lists to market building.
Visiting potential clients in their home making transition easier.
Constantly touring potential residents.
Making sure building is up to code and clean.
Handling payroll, – more... vacations etc. for employees as needed
Keeping residents entertained, secure and healthy. – less
Lots of room to advance, family like atmosphere
Field Training Manager (Current Employee), Denver, COJuly 24, 2014
Although my training campus was eliminated in a RIF/Realignment I was not bitter nor angry with Holiday. Being a seasoned and tenured associate of over 4 years Holiday took good care of me and the decision was made based on logic and business sense.

They handled the transition professionally and tactfully. I have learned more about conflict management, – more... HR and professionalism working for Holiday Retirement then any other postion held EVER. – less
I agree with the previous statement "RUN".
Community Co-Manager (Former Employee), Columbus, GAJuly 23, 2014
Pros: the seniors we cared for and came to love.
Cons: your lead managers are in charge even if the residents like and respect you more.
Long hours, micro-managed, little advancement, back-stabbing.
Lived with approximately 125 seniors and provided them with a safe and fun place to live
Live-in Manager (Former Employee), Cary, NCJuly 19, 2014
Pros: working with seniors, living on site, meals furnished, housekeeping and utilities furnished
Cons: on duty 24 hrs, losing residents to death or assested living facitilies
The day was long, beginning at 8AM, helping staff with breakfast set up, serving and clean up. Then handling office duties and resident requests until noon. Again, helping staff with lunch as at breakfast. Afternoon, more office duties, marketing, and resident requests. Then supper at 5:30 with duties same as other meals; clean-up ending about 7:30PM. – more... Back to office to complete any reports or duties and locked up building at 9PM. I learned a lot about senior living and activities for seniors. I learned how to visit with the dying, which was difficult but compassionate. My husband and I were the senior management team and had very little dealings with regional or corporate management. We loved our co-workers as our family. The hardest part of the job was seeing residents die and handling emergency calls for injuries or sickness at all times of the day or night when on duty. The most enjoyable part of the job was visiting with the residents, getting to know their families, and celebrating their events with them. – less
Making a difference in a seniors life
Community Manager (Current Employee), Modesto CaJuly 16, 2014
Pros: making residents happy
Cons: living on site an being on call
Serving coffee at meals. calling potential residents, checking the hours of employees, pay bill, collect rent.
Horrible Place to Work! RUN FROM THIS COMPANY!
Lead Managers (Current Employee), NAJuly 13, 2014
Cons: micromanage, rude upper management, long hours, etc
When first told about this job it sounded to good to be true, well it is! Very very long hours, 60+ a week. Up all day and night, upper management only cares about numbers, they do not care about employees or residents. I would not recommend working here to anyone. Look into Hawethorne Retirement, they are the real deal! The way Holiday used to be!
My own company
General Manager/Area Sales Leader (Former Employee), Salem, ORJuly 9, 2014
Since it was my own company I enjoyed setting up my own schedule and had a well balance life
I would love to express my experience in detail.
Community Manager Sales manager (Former Employee), Charlotte, North CarolinaJune 29, 2014
Pros: loving the residents and the care we are able to give.
Cons: too much stress to fill the buildings.
It all starts with a Calling and a need. There are great demands placed on management, including life and death situations.
I would never recommend any one for this job.
Company model does not work
Executive Director (Current Employee), Hilton Head, SCJune 28, 2014
The company needs to move forward, the model built 40 years ago no longer works.
fast paced then turned low key
Server (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 16, 2014
Pros: closeness with staff and residents
Cons: lack of variety
learned how to properly set tables
fast paced kitchen environment
cleanliness
hardest part is the routine aspect, every day and shift is the same
most enjoyable part is the residence and getting to know the different individuals
Worst company I ever worked for
Area Sales Leader (Former Employee), ColoradoJune 13, 2014
Pros: free meals, good co-workers, working with seniors
Cons: corporate management, lack of integrity, micromanagement
Holiday is the worst company I ever worked for. I was recruited through LinkedIn and went through what turned out to be a less than honest hiring process. I quit a job I had been in for years based on the misinformation they gave me. They talk about the Holiday Touch and taking care of residents. In fact all they care about is numbers and micro-management. – more... Working there is high stress and the corporate management treats employees very poorly. AVOID THIS COMPANY. – less
Long hours and 24/7 on call duties
Co-Manager / Manager (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CAJune 11, 2014
This job required very long hours, at one point working three (3) weeks straight without a break. 24/7 on-call duties made this a very time consuming and stress filled position.
the truth
Community Co-Manager (Current Employee), Bradenton, FLJune 10, 2014
Pros: walk to work. chef prepared meals.
Cons: live at the community and feel like im always at work
I am currently one of the Co-Managers at Woodlands Village, which is an Independent and Assistant Living Community in Bradenton, Florida, owned and operated by Holiday Retirement.
The details of my current position cover a multitude of categories. I’ve been trained to handle many different situations. Whether it is handling a situation with a current – more... resident, a resident’s family member or P.O.A., or helping a future resident get acclimated to the community, I am well equipped to find the best way to be of service.
Regarding operations, I’ve been trained on billing, time keeping through the Kronos system, scheduling of staff, training and accountability of associates, as well as dealing with emergency calls and deescalating situations before they become emergencies. I also handle contracts and sales through the InTouch computer program. Sales come naturally to me. I enjoy walking families through the entire process, discussing care options, selecting the perfect apartment, and getting to know them on a personal level. I also set up evaluations for the Director of Nursing or the A.L. Administrator/Resident Care Director, so they can properly assess the prospective resident.
On a daily basis, I handle situations that residents bring to my attention. This covers everything from issues involving maintenance, billing, safety, and beyond. Part of what I love about my job is that every day brings something unique.
One of my specialties at Woodlands Village is resident relations. I am extremely outgoing, with exceptional communication skills. I feel that those two qualities are important in this industry. I’ve been told that I have a calm, welcoming demeanor and am very approachable.
I love to learn new things and to help people. I get an overwhelming satisfaction with helping seniors, mainly because of my relationship with my father. He was paralyzed after several strokes, and for 7 years, I was his primary caregiver. What I love most about my current position is my day-to-day interaction with people. It is what I was put on this earth to do.
The reason I am looking for a new position with a different company is simple. My wife and I are about to have our first baby. Our current position is community live in Co-Managers, which consist of three over-night on-call shifts. With a new baby on the way, the schedule is not in our family’s best interest, as we prepare for our wonderful new addition. That is the main and the only reason I am looking for a new position in this industry. This way my wife can stay home and raise our first born child. – less
Lacking highly professional expectations
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Pembroke Park, FLJune 9, 2014
Pros: free meals, a relaxed environment, a diverse workforce and free parking
Cons: staff turnover, death of residents and salary was not commensurate with job duties.
Holiday Retirement, based in Oswego, Oregon is a huge corporation initially founded by fund managers. Thus, it's driving force is maintaining low vacancies and generating high income for its assisted living facilities. My responsibility, as Business Analyst, was to ensure staff was employed according to Federal And State regulations. This challenge – more... was difficult to meet, although I met it, because all staff work at relatively low wages. Thus, turnover was consistent. This was probably my most challenging responsibility.
A typical day required enforcement of collections on accounts and ensuring the census matched expected revenue. While there, I was able to upgrade and create a checks and balances system that ensured tracking of payments, better organization of payments and overall consistency of payment management. Essentially, I ensured in a short period of time, that the accounts receivables were timely. On site management required constant teamwork and sharing of responsibilities. My co-workers were supportive. – less
Bottom line (money) above all mentality
Midwest District Floating Chef (Former Employee), Mainly FloridaJune 5, 2014
Pros: i learned how much i can get done in a limited amount of time. scratch cooking, bread, cake and pastries. it has focused me intensely, but it also is very tiring.
Cons: corporate culture is obsessed with bottom line above employees and the seniors they serve.
Very Hard, timelines are unreal, expectations are enforced by managers who are inexperience and overwhelmed. Corporate leaders are unhelpful, preach the corporate line, do more with less, be happy that you have a job (heard this term numerous times).

Employees may be some of the most hardworking people dedicated to serving the senior population. They – more... are overworked and underpaid.

Positive- – less
A Terrible Employer
Community Manager (Former Employee), Odessa, TXMay 5, 2014
Pros: housing, meals and utilities
Cons: excessive hours & total lack of regard on the part of regional management.
As resident manager's, we sincerely cared for our residents and thoroughly enjoyed all we did to enrich their lives. Sadly, regional management cared only for revenue and new move-ins, with no sincere regard for the welfare of the residents nor the management teams. Take the time to goggle the recent history of Holiday Retirement before accepting a – more... position, take to heart all the excessive, negative comments and concerns. – less
Good job
Community Co-Manager (Current Employee), Auburn, ALMay 1, 2014
Pros: all housing, food and utilities are paid
Cons: sales pressure for the co-managers and too much for the managers to do
Rewarding working with seniors
Hard sales push everyday
This job is a husband and wife position. The job will most likely appeal to one and not the other.
May experience little sleep some nights because of the emergency calls from the residents.
productive and exciting workplace
Executive Chef (Former Employee), Hanford, CAApril 10, 2014
Pros: learned alot there
Cons: wish couldve still been with company
long hours but fun to work there, good realtions with staff and clients.
Great residents not getting what they deserve
Community Manager (Current Employee), Region 20April 4, 2014
Pros: free food and housing
Cons: living on site, long house, inadequate staffing, poor technology and poor upper management
There is something wrong when you have been with the company for 4 years and are an "old timer". The focus of this company has changed away from providing the holiday touch to sales. There is a disconnect between different areas at the regional and divisional level. One director says do this and then another comes along and says why do you do that.

Managers – more... are put in the frustrating position of explaining decreases. In services while rents continue to increase at an alarming rate. Ancillary fees such as transfer fees are changed without notice even though they are part od the rental agreement.

Working with the residents is great but the buildings are staffed at such a low rate that management teams have to work lots of extra hours just to accomplish the bare minimum. The only thing you can count on with Holiday is change.... Expectations, policies, you name it.

I would love to "get out" but when housing is part of the package it makes changing jobs difficult. – less

1 2 3 4

About Holiday Retirement

When Holiday Retirement was founded in 1971, it set out to create an independent living lifestyle unlike anything seniors had – Read more