Holiday Retirement

Holiday Retirement Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good
Community Sales Leader (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 21, 2014
Staff were great to work with.
Senior management was tough but some were good leaders.
Job is what you make it - Fun to work with seniors
Community Manager-Live (Current Employee), St. Catharines, ONApril 12, 2013
Pros: free rent and food- good bonus's if you can sell
Cons: long hours and having to say goodbye to residents who pass on
Early morning start at 6:30 am
Eat breakfast with residents then manage building by:
Dealing with employees and residents non stop.
Cold calling and produced lists to market building.
Visiting potential clients in their home making transition easier.
Constantly touring potential residents.
Making sure building is up to code and clean.
Handling payroll, – more... vacations etc. for employees as needed
Keeping residents entertained, secure and healthy. – less
productive and exciting workplace
Executive Chef (Former Employee), Hanford, CAApril 10, 2014
Pros: learned alot there
Cons: wish couldve still been with company
long hours but fun to work there, good realtions with staff and clients.
Great residents not getting what they deserve
Community Manager (Current Employee), Region 20April 4, 2014
Pros: free food and housing
Cons: living on site, long house, inadequate staffing, poor technology and poor upper management
There is something wrong when you have been with the company for 4 years and are an "old timer". The focus of this company has changed away from providing the holiday touch to sales. There is a disconnect between different areas at the regional and divisional level. One director says do this and then another comes along and says why do you do that.

Managers – more... are put in the frustrating position of explaining decreases. In services while rents continue to increase at an alarming rate. Ancillary fees such as transfer fees are changed without notice even though they are part od the rental agreement.

Working with the residents is great but the buildings are staffed at such a low rate that management teams have to work lots of extra hours just to accomplish the bare minimum. The only thing you can count on with Holiday is change.... Expectations, policies, you name it.

I would love to "get out" but when housing is part of the package it makes changing jobs difficult. – less
Fun Place to work...lots of experience and repsoncibility.
COMMUNITY MANAGER (Current Employee), Strongsville, OHApril 4, 2014
Pros: free apt, free food
Cons: a lot of work !
Enjoy the job immensely.
I learned a great deal of P&L and what makes the business run successfully.
Great training from Regional!!
Demanding, but very rewarding job.
Community Co- Manager (Current Employee), Vancouver, WAMarch 13, 2014
Pros: free rent, food and utilities.
Cons: long hours.
Very demanding job. I have learned many new skills and grown as a person.
Caring for seniors
Community Manager (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 10, 2014
Pros: housing and meals provided, enriching the lives of seniors
Cons: long days
Providing meals and services for residents and managing the property and staff required to do so.
Atrium
Excutive Chef (Former Employee), Grand Junction, COMarch 6, 2014
Great place to work management was fantastic would go back to work for them if same management
Must Love People
COMMUNITY MANAGER (Former Employee), Concord, NCMarch 6, 2014
Pros: live where you work, easy to save money
Cons: micro-management
working with seniors is what this job is supposed to be about. Too much Micro-management.
Loved working with the management team and the seniors
Executive Director (Former Employee), Hollywood, FLMarch 4, 2014
Pros: working with seniors
Cons: not enough time in the day!
I developed a great management team - we really cared about our residents.
I believe that I can train anyone - they just need the "right" heart to be able to do the job!
Working with seniors is so rewarding - you become a vital part of their family.
I always remembered that I would be in thier place one day.........
It's all about the almighty dollar
Chef (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: residents are awesome
Cons: management will throw you under the bus in a minute.
Corporate management is out of touch with the community residents. They need to address their needs instead of bringing in people who would be better suited with assisted living. Quality of life is less important than having united filled regardless of how long.
Project Management, Benefits & 401(k) Analyst
Benefits Analyst - Temporary (Current Employee), Lake Oswego, ORFebruary 18, 2014
*Internal Communications & Presentations
*Project Management
*Portal Management
*New Program and Benefit Implementation
*Total Compensation Messaging
*Work Life Balance Programs
Terrible Upper Mgmt-
Executive Chef (Former Employee), Madison WIFebruary 16, 2014
This is not a good Company in which to seek employment from. Hired as an Executive Chef, the only good thing was the salary. As the Executive Chef, they wanted me to recruit future residents as well! The meal cost per resident was strictly under $4.00! R U kidding me?These residents pay BIG BUCKS to live here and we are extremely limited in our food – more... item choices. It's really quite sad. Home based upper Mgmt in Oregon are ruthless, cut-throat, and have no compassion for the residents, the employee's or the on-site managers who live in these facilities. My on-site managers were wonderful, my staff were excellent but the budget constraints, micromanaging, and games played by Home Mgmt were not worth it. Salary based on 50 hour work week in actuality turned out to be 65+ per week. – less
Not just anyone can do this job
Manager (Current Employee), Copley, OHFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: you live on-site so it is a great avenue to save money
Cons: you live on site - so your time is not your own
This position requires two couples to manage one community. Depending on the other couple, this could be a dream job - or it could be hell. I have had both.

Upper management is very hard to deal with - as you could bring your community to 100% occupancy one month and be fired the next because you could not get enough contracts signed.
The company needs to concentrate on hiring experienced and proven employees
Floating Marketer (Current Employee), Lake Oswego, ORJanuary 26, 2014
Holiday Retirement is currently still trying to catch up with the industry in regard to systems. Management continues to evolve with
new direction.

Finding competent employees as the now existing salary levels is challenging.

Turn over is high, the hiring of inexperienced staff not only creates a great deal of frustration but increases the exhaustive – more... pressure that comes with a company trying to make up for lost time.

If you have a passion for seniors the job is very rewarding. – less
This retirement home was amazing
Server (Former Employee), High Point, NCJanuary 26, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of clocking in, going to the kitchen and preparing to come out with the drinks for the night of service. After the drinks were out, we would come back into the kitchen and learn what the meal choices were for the night. Then we would take each tables' order, by memory only- there were no notepads involved- and then serve – more... each table the meal they desired. Afterwards, we would get the dessert cart ready and serve them desserts. Then we would clean off each table, vacuum the floors and reset the dining tables. Other days I would come in between shifts and play Bingo with the residents or Karaoke. Other times i would collect the trash from the kitchen and all of the laundry rooms in the Retirement home and take them out to the over-sized garbage disposal. I learned ow to professionally set tables and take 3-course meal orders by memory. The management was delightful the entire time I worked there. My co-workers were very nice and helpful when someone else needed a hand with their section. The hardest part of the job was remembering all the orders as each resident was specific as to what was and was not on their plate. The most enjoyable part of the job by far was being around and interacting with the residents, hearing their stories and being able to laugh with them. – less
Worst place ever to work
House keeper/Server (Former Employee), Iowa City, IowaJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: working with seniors
Cons: unprofessional managers
No team work

Management posted flyers soliciting residents to give money to staff at Christmas time

Management charge residents $5.00 per meal to have delivered to their apartments

Management shared confidential information from one resident to the other
Friendly Place
Payroll Tax Filing Specialist (Former Employee), Lake Oswego, ORJanuary 23, 2014
I had the opportunity to work with some states that I had not previously worked with. The atmosphere there is pretty relaxed. Most everyone I sat around were very friendly and easy to work with. The most enjoyable part of my job was during both month end and quarter end.
Life Changing experience
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Guilford, CTJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: free room and board, growth in positions, great training
Cons: to many chiefs, demanding job
Holiday Retirement, was a great experience for me. It's an unique company that invites your partner in life to work side by side with you. This company praise innovative ideas and hard work. It's a growing company that's open to new ideas. You can move up very fast and you set the paced on how fast you want to move up in ranks. I enjoyed working their – more... and only wish that I could've stayed longer. – less
Zero Work Life Balance
Community Manager/Associate Executive Director (Current Employee), Apple Valley, CAJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: live on premise, meals included
Cons: micromanaging, unrealistic expectation of community manager position
The day is filled with more of an array of daily tasks than I have room to record. From inside sales, inquiry calls and outbound calling efforts to operations, management of 25 + employees including managing and overseeing 2-3 meals per day then on call night emergency service 4 nights a week.

I have learned I love working with Senior Citizens

Management – more... style from corporate down is set up in micro-management style

Co-workers are awesome, total team environment

Average hours worked per day 10-14/5 days a week Plus on call duty overnight 4 nights a week.

No day is the same, high accountability little support or tools to succeed, too many hours to enjoy your life and family.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with our Senior Citizens they are amazing. – less

1 2 3

About Holiday Retirement

When Holiday Retirement was founded in 1971, it set out to create an independent living lifestyle unlike anything seniors had – Read more