Holiday Inn Employee Reviews in Canada

interesting work place
Server bartender , food prep (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONJanuary 6, 2013
a typical day at work at the holiday inn was organized chaos , between 300 and 500 people split between 10 wait staff and 2 bartenders for a function everything has to run on a very strict time line, I learned to be patient and to work hard and fast if needed , management there was poor , my coworkers were amazing the hardest part of the job , was the chaos sometimes, the most enjoyable part of the job was it was always something different I got to meet alot of different people and learn so many things .
Pros
good pay, good benifets
Cons
long hours, hard heavy work
It was a ok place to work
House Keeper (Former Employee) –  Gananoque OntarioAugust 26, 2015
I had fun my first year working there but my second summer not so much as the staff changed. The staff can be very hard to work with.
Pros
we could use the weigh room and the pool along with family members
Cons
the managers
Great fun experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 22, 2015
love the work, all the departments, love being mvp 2 times, and had a chance to grow, I worked and didn't even notice the corporate training was for my own character
Pros
great people
Cons
not very high wage
It is an okay place to work, nothing too exciting but also not too boring
Line Cook\ Prep (Current Employee) –  St. CatherinesJuly 11, 2015
It is an okay place to work. I just go in, do my tasks and leave, nothing special. The co-workers are nice friendly people everyone seems to get along for the most part. The part I enjoyed the most about the job is preparing and setting up for events/ work functions.
Pros
Standard break
Cons
shift hours
Working at Holiday Inn
Laundry Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 10, 2014
Upon working at Holiday Inn for a short time, it was fun, although we cannot say it is a 100% easy nor hard job. My work begins at 9:00 am and ends at 6:00 pm. I had learned a lot of things, such as how to minimize my time in every minutes to cover up all the assigned task for a day, including how to communicate with my co workers who were very helpful , nice and friendly especially to the new hired. In management, in a short time I worked in this company, I found that they were a little pushy maybe for a good reason (but this is not the reason why I quit my job), but overall they were friendly and respectful. As a worker in laundry department, the hardest part of my job was pushing the cart filled of dirty linens which has been pick up in every floors, and of course loading and unloading the machines. But aside that, I enjoyed being a worker in this company, because I learned a lots of things, I can explore my knowledge and have a good environment, meeting a new friends and most of all I liking and loving my job.
Pros
good hours
Careful what you get into.
Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 27, 2015
Great place great co-workers. But I disliked the GM, He just rubbed off on me as kinda shady. But all suits make me feel that way haha. Plus the shifts are kinda ridiculous sometimes, and what I mean is it jumps around and your shifts change after being posted. You might even be called in to cover. But worst of all is sometimes you'll have to pull a back to back shift (12 hours from when you get off till your next shift starts) or split shifts too.

make/cancel reservations for guests
count floats (tills and vaults)
make sure all reservations for the day are ready
make sure the rooms are ready for guests by phone or computer
check for traces (pet room, breakfast included, crib in room, ect)
fix errors
change rates
Pros
Pool and hot tub, discounted rooms and food.
Cons
hours, shifts
Fantastic
Guest Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Golden BCFebruary 26, 2015
I work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and everyday is a learning experience for me because I interact with people.

Most of the time I work on my own when its slow season.

My co-workers are great to work with. No dramas at all and I guess everyone is happy with the job.

Newest hotel in town

Great boss
Pros
free coffee
Cons
no benefits except employee discounts at any ihg property
Mediocre with a lot of drawbacks
Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  VernonJanuary 29, 2015
I liked the job, and every job has it's downs. You will always run into a guest that either loves or hates you. The one thing I have to say that is a really downer about this job is the owners. No offense to them, but they are cheap to the point of "why do I work here?" There are no benefits at all, the only plus side is full time and the co-workers are great.
Pros
i got fulltime
Cons
no way to advance, no benifits, and the owners are cheap
Holiday Inn
House Keeper (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABDecember 26, 2014
What a work day included was a list of about 18 rooms each per day. What I learned was how to create a routine to clean rooms properly but in less time. Management was friendly. My co-workers were hard working and easy going. The hardest part of the job was cleaning the party rooms. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work in teams and get double the rooms done in the lime limit one person would get their list done. What an accomplishment!
Pros
managment
Cons
organization
Not a long term prospective
Front Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Osoyoos, BCNovember 13, 2012
Below par salary with zero salary reveiws
No benefits like MSP
Strong intereference of ownership in day to day management working
Limited vertical and horizontal communication
Inconsistant planning for important events
High employee turnover
Pros
reputable organization, small team
Cons
opaque reimbursement plan, strong customer focus but weak of employee focus
helped building good customer service and team work skills.
Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BCApril 9, 2015
• Process guest arrivals and departures, including all necessary payments and provision of transportation services.
• Delivered an enhanced customer experience and created a good impression by greeting and engaging customers in a range of service and informational conversations.
• Respond to customer issues and ensured customer problems are handled appropriately, escalating issues when necessary.
• Communicate with all hotel departments efficiently and oversaw all guest registrations.
Great
Reservation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 6, 2015
Productive, Fun Work place. Get to interact with different guests from different parts of the world. The management is very supportive and helpful. My coworkers are great. There is nothing hard about this job. I enjoyed working here. Left the job as I was looking for a better opportunity which I found at the Sheraton.
Productive and Happy work environment
Part time Front Desk (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABSeptember 4, 2014
I absolutely love working for this hotel, it has a wonderful environment, the management team is wonderful, and willing to help whenever needed. My co-workers are wonderful to work with, we ensure all information is passed on to the next shift. The hardest part of my job would be understanding exactly how to react to situations with customer complaint or problems in the hotel. The most enjoyable part is the wonderful laid back atmosphere.
Worst Company to work for
Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 12, 2015
Holiday Inn Express Calgary South

You basically will not have proper training and/or the supplies to perform your job. You will be overloaded with so much work you will hardly get it done and will be reprimanded for that. They will constantly send you home early and ask your relieve to come late so the time two are working at the desk gets reduced to the minimum... guests' request cant be handled properly without leaving other customers unattended.... You will be reprimanded and have your signature on a disciplinary action if guests complain about it.

They constantly abuse of Temporary Foreign Workers who cannot go elsewhere to work. They do not hire locals as they usually do not put up with such abuse. If you ever say anything they will just start cutting your hours.

Avoid this place to work
Cons
very abusive environmnet
Great place to learn how the hotel operates from top to bottom
Night Auditor (Former Employee) –  ottawaJune 2, 2014
Balance the restaurant and hotel side of the hotel, deal with guests, deal with any issues that arose overnight regarding hotel and/or guests. Enjoy working with the other night auditor, we always had each other backs overnight. The hardest part of the job was dealing with intoxicated guests, and dealing with the hockey teams, as well as working the overnight shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with guests and finding and correcting mistakes by restaurant servers and guest services representatives. As a night auditor, it is the best place to learn about all hotel operations from all departments.
Pros
employee hotel rates, hourly wage and benefits
Cons
overnight work
Fun yet serious, steady work environment
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  CourtenayApril 22, 2015
I was responsible for doing basic, yet detailed housekeeping. I learned tricks to work quicker, thus being more productive. I had a good boss and friendly co-workers. The hardest part of the job was learning the proper way to do things because each person had a different technique. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping my co-workers after I finished my work.
Pros
Own lunch time
Cons
Unpredictable hours
enjoyable and flexible place to work.
Server / Junior Accounting clerk (Former Employee) –  toronto,onSeptember 30, 2013
great people, very flexible with my other job and school.
Busy hotel, multicultural clients, very supportive management.
I enjoyed working both administrative and in food service the versatile environment allowed me to gain different experiences.
Pros
hotel discounts.
good interpersonal relationship
House Keeper (Former Employee) –  Toronto ONMarch 7, 2015
i enjoyed every aspect of the job. Management team was excellent. I learned a lot as regard to speed and accuracy and safe cleaning products
Pros
good interpersonal relationship
Productive and well operated establishment
Manager on Duty For Guest Services (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 9, 2015
My duties:

• Independently planned, designed and installed the ‘Heart of House - EmployeeRecognition Program'
• Performed Front Desk and Back Office operations as initiated by the General Manager
• Instigated room checks and maintained the inspection reports
• Effectively handled guest feedback and ensured 100% guest satisfaction prior departure
• Adhered to organizational health, fire and life safety policies
• Engaged in collaborative working relationships with Housekeeping and Maintenance
departments to provide a seamless guest experience

Overall, process and functioning of the hotel was up to the mark and standards maintained by the Holiday Inn.
Great workplace with amazing teamwork
Housekeeping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ONMarch 20, 2014
My typical day at work would be strictly weekends because I wasn't working full time and that would include cleaning hotel rooms and doing laundry. I learned multiple strategies to clean rooms effectively, fast and thoroughly so that the rooms were totally disinfected and tidy in time for check-in. The management there was great! Very understanding people there. My co-workers really helped me out and understood where I was coming from if something went wrong. The hardest part of the job would be getting a lot of rooms cleaned in a short amount of time. The best part of the job was the people there that made every second worth working in the building.
Pros
constant hours, 9-5 or longer
Cons
rough on your back