Holiday Inn Employee Reviews in Canada

N/A
GUEST SERVICE AGENT (Current Employee) –  Burlington ONSeptember 7, 2015
My typical day at work is to be ready at all times to take care of all guest that are staying at the hotel, long and short term.

As always our guest are our number one priority and we must ensure we act quickly to any needs they might have and give them the serve that they will always want to return.

My co-workers at the front desk are great team players and we all work well together.

The hardest part of the job is when there is no communications between departments.

The most enjoyable part of the job is our guest, as the diversity, culture and personality is so different.

I enjoy the hospitality industry and I love what I do whether it's working at the front desk, in housekeeping, operations etc.
Great Staff but no Internal Promotion
Guest Service Agent (Current Employee) –  London, ONSeptember 1, 2015
Fellow employees are wonderful to work with, but the location of the hotel has the front desk in weekly contact with the local police for a lot of vehicle break ins and outrageous guests. Management is always supportive and friendly but do not follow through on promises of internal advancement. It's a great place to work but as a University graduate I have great ambition to move up within the operations of a hotel and this cannot be accommodated here unfortunately.
Was a Good Learning Experience
Apprentice, Second Cook (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONAugust 31, 2015
OKAY place to work. i learned much while i was there working in the kitchen of the Holiday Inn. Lots of experience, long hours, decent wage.
Hard work for little pay
Housekeeping Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONAugust 31, 2015
Outrageous deadlines, 20-30 rooms a shift.
Lots of bending over, very sore back, knees and arms by the end of every day. VERY rude guests in the hotel. Get money taken off each pay check for a supposed 'breakfast and lunch' every day.... yeah right, youre lucky if you make it down there on time to get food. Every day I would go for lunch and there would be scrappings left in each food bin.
Pros
None.
Cons
Rude customers, breaking your back for minimum wage
Nice and fun place to work
Restaurant/Banquets Server (Current Employee) –  MississaugaAugust 28, 2015
Love to work at Holiday Inn. Great management team! Love my co-workers. They are simply FANTASTIC, always fun to work with all of them.
It was a ok place to work
House Keeper (Former Employee) –  Gananoque OntarioAugust 26, 2015
I had fun my first year working there but my second summer not so much as the staff changed. The staff can be very hard to work with.
Pros
we could use the weigh room and the pool along with family members
Cons
the managers
it's alright
Housekeeper/Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABAugust 26, 2015
no problem at the jobs that i have to do. poor management, so much negativity at the workplace. make it a fun and a happy workplace and the job will make it easier.
Great fun experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 22, 2015
love the work, all the departments, love being mvp 2 times, and had a chance to grow, I worked and didn't even notice the corporate training was for my own character
Pros
great people
Cons
not very high wage
I enjoy working with my coworkers at The Holiday Inn & Suites.
Work as Catering Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BCAugust 16, 2015
I have learn't so many things since I started my work here. It was hard in the beginning but now its very easy job for me.
My co-workers are very helpful, friendly.
My company offers us 50% off on our stay in IHG hotels.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
No complaint
A productive, fast pace and fun place to work
house keeper (Former Employee) –  barrieAugust 13, 2015
A typical day at work starts at 8 am, grab our carts full of sheets, towels, shampoos ect. We has 1/2 hour to clean a room which includes cleaning bathrooms, making beds to dusting and vacuuming/washing floors.Once finished the list of rooms that was given to you its now time to restock your cart and have the supervisor check all your rooms before you're allowed to leave. Sometimes we had extra duties such as wash pool floors, empty garbages, wash walls in hallways and stairways.

I learned that some people can be really messy and rude for such silly reasons :(. Complaining just to receive a discount or a free room because they can/

The best part of my job was the management. The staff at the holiday Inn was excellent, I got along with everyone which also made it enjoyable to go to work everyday. i had no complaints there.

What made the job stressful was the amount of cleaning we had to do in such little time. A lot of people think housekeeping is easy but it really isn't, it really takes a toll on your body.

I also worked in the breakfast bar which included preparing breakfast for the guest such as scrambled eggs, pancakes sausages and much more. Shifts started it 4:45am so I was pretty much awake before the guest and around 6:45am the doors would open and it would be time to serve the guest.
Pros
Free lunchs, Wonderful staff, benefits
Cons
Hard work, Some work harder then other and didn't get recognised, Hard on your body, Had to work holidays.
Strong yet small team of goal orientated people
Guest Services Agent (Former Employee) –  London, ONJuly 12, 2015
Holiday Inn was a great stepping stone to where I'm at now. Being part of a large chain of hotels, Intercontinental Hotels Group, a day in the life of a front desk attendant here is centered around quality control. Our job was goal specific and each day was critiqued to ensure the highest level of customer service. I learned a great deal about how to accommodate a substantially variance of people. My coworkers here were awesome, simply the best, however there weren't enough of them. It was very short staffed here, with management never entirely available. We were trained to deter guests from contacting our manager as it was preferred that we should handle any matter ourselves. This of course has it's benefits, I learned patience under pressure although I believe providing substandard support for your employee's is not beneficial in the long run. Aside from these small faults the best part of working here was the people I worked with.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Unavailable Management
It is an okay place to work, nothing too exciting but also not too boring
Line Cook\ Prep (Current Employee) –  St. CatherinesJuly 11, 2015
It is an okay place to work. I just go in, do my tasks and leave, nothing special. The co-workers are nice friendly people everyone seems to get along for the most part. The part I enjoyed the most about the job is preparing and setting up for events/ work functions.
Pros
Standard break
Cons
shift hours
Rooms Division / Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 9, 2015
Learned a lot about IHG brands and standards
Great place to work, fun and professional staff
Management and ownership team are invested in this property
Pros
location
Cons
Going through renovations
No respect
Guest service agent, Social media champion (Current Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, ABJuly 6, 2015
Very hard working, no promotion no free weekends, working by yourself at night in the hotel, sometimes working double shifts, repairing mistakes of housekeeping
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
long hours, afternoons alone at the hotel
Great Place To Work
Guest Services Manager (Current Employee) –  London, ONJuly 2, 2015
Friendly atmosphere, great people. Enjoy managing 10+ people in a hospitality environment. Your co-workers are what makes the job! Guest Services, Management and Administration are the main ideals of my job.
Challenging and interesting
FINANCIAL HOTEL CONTROLLER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 4, 2015
• Key member of the leadership team, administering all accounting functions for the hotel
• Overseeing all aspects of financial control in the Hotel business.
• Recording of money received and paid out. Preparing, maintaining and reconciling all three legers (guest ledger, city ledger and deposit ledger), all credit cards and company bank accounts
• Preparing deposits on daily basis
• Reconciling and inputting daily sales
• Processing bi-weekly payroll using Pay Specialist and ADP software; keeping records of employee’s vacations
• Responsible for accounts payable & accounts receivable
• Responsible for inventory count of all departments on monthly and quarterly basis
• Posting all GL, journal entries on monthly basis.
• Doing month-end closing and submitting data to corporate office
• Analysing P&L and giving explanation of any critics. Doing correction or adjustment on P&L if any
• Providing financial, and strategic support to the business
• Actively involved in process of hiring, firing and training employees
• Preparation of management information from source data
• Producing monthly management accounts, budgets, forecasts & VAT returns
• Presenting monthly results, budget variances and ad-hoc analysis
• Overseeing internal financial controls
• Providing financial overview to all departments head on monthly departments head meeting
• Producing meaningful commentary and analysis of financial data
• Managing a 55-person team, encouraging personal and professional development of the culturally diverse department
• Reviewing new & existing business
  more... models and capital appropriation requests
• Identifying and developing controls and processes to ensure all risks and opportunities are highlighted
• Compiling and presenting detailed monthly reports to the General Manager.
• Preparing internal and external financial and tax statements for review by corporate and external Audit team
A growing company
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  SlavelakeJune 1, 2015
I enjoying cleaning, I enjoy having to clean and polish everything that needs to be. The management were awsum people I enjoyed working with my coworkers we worked as a team to get our jobs done. The job was enjoyable and there was nothing hard about it.
Coop
Housekeeping (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONMay 29, 2015
The place was terrible. Got upset I had a co-op for school and wouldnot me have the time off. worked every weekend. very stressful. No teamwork or training.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Getting time off
Looks Great... on the surface
Night Auditor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 28, 2015
The wages and benefits are very good, if you qualify for full time but the management there needs works. There is absolutely no accountability for the multitudes of people who do not perform their jobs which leaves the few good employees frustrated. The under performing employees stay for 5, 10, or 15 years while the good ones quickly leave. There is a culture of doing as little as possible there and mangement does nothing about it. Apply here only if you are willing to end every day frustrated with your co workers or are also lazy.
Pros
flexible schedules, food and room discounts
Cons
management does not do their jobs, culture of laziness
Productive fun workplace
BARTENDER/ MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABMay 13, 2015
A typical day at work for me was I started at 3pm and ended around 11pm. I was a bartender and also a bar manager. I really liked working with the team we had working, we all got along great. The hardest part of my job was trying to get as many hours as I needed. The most enjoyable part of my job was serving and talking to my customers. working in a hotel gave me the opportunity to meet a lot of different people. i enjoyed my job a lot.
Pros
Working with the excellent people I worked with.
Cons
I was a manger yet they would not give me a raise.