Holiday Inn Employee Reviews in Canada

helped building good customer service and team work skills.
Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BCApril 9, 2015
• Process guest arrivals and departures, including all necessary payments and provision of transportation services.
• Delivered an enhanced customer experience and created a good impression by greeting and engaging customers in a range of service and informational conversations.
• Respond to customer issues and ensured customer problems are handled appropriately, escalating issues when necessary.
• Communicate with all hotel departments efficiently and oversaw all guest registrations.
it's alright
Housekeeper/Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABAugust 26, 2015
no problem at the jobs that i have to do. poor management, so much negativity at the workplace. make it a fun and a happy workplace and the job will make it easier.
Was a Good Learning Experience
Apprentice, Second Cook (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONAugust 31, 2015
OKAY place to work. i learned much while i was there working in the kitchen of the Holiday Inn. Lots of experience, long hours, decent wage.
Strong yet small team of goal orientated people
Guest Services Agent (Former Employee) –  London, ONJuly 12, 2015
Holiday Inn was a great stepping stone to where I'm at now. Being part of a large chain of hotels, Intercontinental Hotels Group, a day in the life of a front desk attendant here is centered around quality control. Our job was goal specific and each day was critiqued to ensure the highest level of customer service. I learned a great deal about how to accommodate a substantially variance of people. My coworkers here were awesome, simply the best, however there weren't enough of them. It was very short staffed here, with management never entirely available. We were trained to deter guests from contacting our manager as it was preferred that we should handle any matter ourselves. This of course has it's benefits, I learned patience under pressure although I believe providing substandard support for your employee's is not beneficial in the long run. Aside from these small faults the best part of working here was the people I worked with.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Unavailable Management
Nice and fun place to work
Restaurant/Banquets Server (Current Employee) –  MississaugaAugust 28, 2015
Love to work at Holiday Inn. Great management team! Love my co-workers. They are simply FANTASTIC, always fun to work with all of them.
Careful what you get into.
Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 27, 2015
Great place great co-workers. But I disliked the GM, He just rubbed off on me as kinda shady. But all suits make me feel that way haha. Plus the shifts are kinda ridiculous sometimes, and what I mean is it jumps around and your shifts change after being posted. You might even be called in to cover. But worst of all is sometimes you'll have to pull a back to back shift (12 hours from when you get off till your next shift starts) or split shifts too.

make/cancel reservations for guests
count floats (tills and vaults)
make sure all reservations for the day are ready
make sure the rooms are ready for guests by phone or computer
check for traces (pet room, breakfast included, crib in room, ect)
fix errors
change rates
Pros
Pool and hot tub, discounted rooms and food.
Cons
hours, shifts
Rooms Division / Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 9, 2015
Learned a lot about IHG brands and standards
Great place to work, fun and professional staff
Management and ownership team are invested in this property
Pros
location
Cons
Going through renovations
Best job I have ever had
Guest Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Fort St John, BCMarch 18, 2015
First off, MANAGEMENT is outstanding. I have never worked with a better group of managers and co-workers.
Guest services has taught me so much about understanding people, interacting with people, making people feel cared about/warm/welcome/safe, and most of all has taught me to have thick skin.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the look on a guests face when you remember their name, room preference, etc. It is so rewarding to light up their face in this way.
Great Place To Work
Guest Services Manager (Current Employee) –  London, ONJuly 2, 2015
Friendly atmosphere, great people. Enjoy managing 10+ people in a hospitality environment. Your co-workers are what makes the job! Guest Services, Management and Administration are the main ideals of my job.
Watching, and learning from a Superstar
Guest Services Representative and Night Audit (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONMarch 3, 2015
The Front Office manager at the time I was hired was a great mentor and manager. She was impressive the way she handled herself and was smooth, polite with not just guests but co-workers in other departments.
Pros
welcoming our regular corporate guests on weekly and/or monthly basics, welcoming new guests with a smile, meeting new people from around the world, and educating guests on our ihg rewards club and of course the great hotel itself!
Cons
shift hours, work/ life balance
A growing company
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  SlavelakeJune 1, 2015
I enjoying cleaning, I enjoy having to clean and polish everything that needs to be. The management were awsum people I enjoyed working with my coworkers we worked as a team to get our jobs done. The job was enjoyable and there was nothing hard about it.
Busy working
Front Desk Manager (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABFebruary 23, 2015
- briefing with the team.
- check the No show last night & Manager report.
- Check the log book.
- participate the morning department head meeting.
- balancing the room inventory.
- check the VIP's
- assign the rooms
- check the Audit of the night before.
- check the e-mails.
- communicate with other departments to ensure the smooth of operation.
- all the above the repeatable tasks.
Cons
tasks are different every days
Productive and well operated establishment
Manager on Duty For Guest Services (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 9, 2015
My duties:

• Independently planned, designed and installed the ‘Heart of House - EmployeeRecognition Program'
• Performed Front Desk and Back Office operations as initiated by the General Manager
• Instigated room checks and maintained the inspection reports
• Effectively handled guest feedback and ensured 100% guest satisfaction prior departure
• Adhered to organizational health, fire and life safety policies
• Engaged in collaborative working relationships with Housekeeping and Maintenance
departments to provide a seamless guest experience

Overall, process and functioning of the hotel was up to the mark and standards maintained by the Holiday Inn.
Nice place to work as a Room Attendant
Housekeeping Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLFebruary 25, 2015
I loved working as a Housekeeping Room Attendant but the work at this hotel is getting really slow. I know Fortis Properties, the owners are selling off its hotels and I don't know if this is part of the reason for the work dropping so fast.
Pros
everyone were good people to work with and always offered help
Cons
not getting many hours in working lately
Fantastic
Guest Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Golden BCFebruary 26, 2015
I work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and everyday is a learning experience for me because I interact with people.

Most of the time I work on my own when its slow season.

My co-workers are great to work with. No dramas at all and I guess everyone is happy with the job.

Newest hotel in town

Great boss
Pros
free coffee
Cons
no benefits except employee discounts at any ihg property
Mediocre with a lot of drawbacks
Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  VernonJanuary 29, 2015
I liked the job, and every job has it's downs. You will always run into a guest that either loves or hates you. The one thing I have to say that is a really downer about this job is the owners. No offense to them, but they are cheap to the point of "why do I work here?" There are no benefits at all, the only plus side is full time and the co-workers are great.
Pros
i got fulltime
Cons
no way to advance, no benifits, and the owners are cheap
The clean touch.
House Keeping (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJanuary 18, 2015
My shift was a 8:00am start, I enjoyed meeting the staff and the supervisor. The managers were very kind. I became focused on the skills needed for the job. I developed organization skills. At times there is interaction with guest of the hotel which was rewarding. I was always praised by the managers and supervisors upon completing rooms to an above standard of cleanliness.
Pros
always was given lots of shifts to work, and the staff were very nice
Cons
winter time i was on call, and i had to move.
Safe secure position good for routine regular work
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 9, 2015
As night hotel security, it was my job to make sure that noise was kept down to a reasonable level and that undesirable elements were not allowed to bother customers in the hotel. Also parking lot rounds were insisted upon.
Pros
a very secure job with a fair pay
Cons
being a very corporate business they were never short of rules and regulations
Worst Company to work for
Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 12, 2015
Holiday Inn Express Calgary South

You basically will not have proper training and/or the supplies to perform your job. You will be overloaded with so much work you will hardly get it done and will be reprimanded for that. They will constantly send you home early and ask your relieve to come late so the time two are working at the desk gets reduced to the minimum... guests' request cant be handled properly without leaving other customers unattended.... You will be reprimanded and have your signature on a disciplinary action if guests complain about it.

They constantly abuse of Temporary Foreign Workers who cannot go elsewhere to work. They do not hire locals as they usually do not put up with such abuse. If you ever say anything they will just start cutting your hours.

Avoid this place to work
Cons
very abusive environmnet
Pleasant working environment, very positive
Night Auditor and Front desk staff (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJanuary 1, 2015
I learned a bunch on the job, and it really keeps you on your feet. Working night audit makes the job a lot more difficult, especially on weekends. The job itself isn't very pleasant, but the management and staff are excellent and keep you motivated. A day at work included accounting most of all, as there was a lot of paperwork and report organizing. Regardless, I would get around 3 hours of downtime in which I could relax for a little bit unless a guest is in need. The only issue is the hours, as night shift ruins your sleep schedule and it couldn't work with me and school.
Pros
hotel discounts
Cons
long hours, tough shift, a lot of paperwork