Holiday Inn Employee Reviews in Canada

Not a good management
Visitor Services Attendant (Current Employee) –  Swift CurrentFebruary 5, 2016
This is job is only for New Comers. Benefits are not satisfactory . If good management team re-established, I am OK. Time bound and co-workers are all doing 2 jobs.
Good
Cons
No fixed Income
Productive and fun workplace
Housekeeper/Laundry/Breakfast/Front Desk (Current Employee) –  Dryden, ONNovember 27, 2015
I work mornings/evenings and sometimes the grave yard shift- The staff is very friendly- I have upgraded my computer skills while working at holiday inn - down fall of this job is there is no benefits and lots of miscommunication
Productive & fun workplace
Switchboard Operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 3, 2016
Great place to work fun work place with great staff and managers. Great hotel with lots of benefits and competitive salary.
Strong yet small team of goal orientated people
Guest Services Agent (Former Employee) –  London, ONJuly 12, 2015
Holiday Inn was a great stepping stone to where I'm at now. Being part of a large chain of hotels, Intercontinental Hotels Group, a day in the life of a front desk attendant here is centered around quality control. Our job was goal specific and each day was critiqued to ensure the highest level of customer service. I learned a great deal about how to accommodate a substantially variance of people. My coworkers here were awesome, simply the best, however there weren't enough of them. It was very short staffed here, with management never entirely available. We were trained to deter guests from contacting our manager as it was preferred that we should handle any matter ourselves. This of course has it's benefits, I learned patience under pressure although I believe providing substandard support for your employee's is not beneficial in the long run. Aside from these small faults the best part of working here was the people I worked with.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Unavailable Management
boring and mundane
Customer Service/ Associate Team Leader (Former Employee) –  tim hortonsNovember 19, 2015
same thing in and out
treat employees like garbage
force overtime
short hours on pay checks
horrible benefits
no staff appreciation
Looks Great... on the surface
Night Auditor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 28, 2015
The wages and benefits are very good, if you qualify for full time but the management there needs works. There is absolutely no accountability for the multitudes of people who do not perform their jobs which leaves the few good employees frustrated. The under performing employees stay for 5, 10, or 15 years while the good ones quickly leave. There is a culture of doing as little as possible there and mangement does nothing about it. Apply here only if you are willing to end every day frustrated with your co workers or are also lazy.
Pros
flexible schedules, food and room discounts
Cons
management does not do their jobs, culture of laziness
A productive, fast pace and fun place to work
house keeper (Former Employee) –  barrieAugust 13, 2015
A typical day at work starts at 8 am, grab our carts full of sheets, towels, shampoos ect. We has 1/2 hour to clean a room which includes cleaning bathrooms, making beds to dusting and vacuuming/washing floors.Once finished the list of rooms that was given to you its now time to restock your cart and have the supervisor check all your rooms before you're allowed to leave. Sometimes we had extra duties such as wash pool floors, empty garbages, wash walls in hallways and stairways.

I learned that some people can be really messy and rude for such silly reasons :(. Complaining just to receive a discount or a free room because they can/

The best part of my job was the management. The staff at the holiday Inn was excellent, I got along with everyone which also made it enjoyable to go to work everyday. i had no complaints there.

What made the job stressful was the amount of cleaning we had to do in such little time. A lot of people think housekeeping is easy but it really isn't, it really takes a toll on your body.

I also worked in the breakfast bar which included preparing breakfast for the guest such as scrambled eggs, pancakes sausages and much more. Shifts started it 4:45am so I was pretty much awake before the guest and around 6:45am the doors would open and it would be time to serve the guest.
Pros
Free lunchs, Wonderful staff, benefits
Cons
Hard work, Some work harder then other and didn't get recognised, Hard on your body, Had to work holidays.
Productive fun workplace
BARTENDER/ MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABMay 13, 2015
A typical day at work for me was I started at 3pm and ended around 11pm. I was a bartender and also a bar manager. I really liked working with the team we had working, we all got along great. The hardest part of my job was trying to get as many hours as I needed. The most enjoyable part of my job was serving and talking to my customers. working in a hotel gave me the opportunity to meet a lot of different people. i enjoyed my job a lot.
Pros
Working with the excellent people I worked with.
Cons
I was a manger yet they would not give me a raise.
Lots to complete, little training
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABJanuary 11, 2016
Overall, the Holiday Inn did not have the correct management in place to be training employees. If one messed up a transaction or email they were criticized by the management openly and in front of others. It became very tight-knit between the employees versus the management of the front desk. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to learn quickly and keep up to the standards that were in place. I most enjoyed creating a relationship with other managers that were in other areas of the business.
Pros
Creating relationships with other employees and managers.
Cons
odd shifts, not very flexible
Day in the life of a Guest Service Agent
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONApril 11, 2016
AM- Check-outs, settle the bill, make sure there are no restaurant charges left behind. Take phone reservations, prepare the rest of the day for the PM shift for check-ins.

The hardest part of the job is when you don't have a good manager, that doesn't lead by example of how things can run smoothly and fair.

I love working with the public, so the hospitality industry has definitely given me that opportunity. It has opened my eyes to all the different personalities out there and how easily people get flustered, and taught me how to turn a terrible experience for a guest into a great one when they leave, but just listening to them vent and try your best to assist them.
Pros
Guest services
Great!!
Housekeeping Supervisor (Current Employee) –  montreal qcOctober 1, 2015
I decided to enter the housekeeping supervisor position for my stage to complete my diploma seeing that i am able to experience something different. It was a great experience for me because i had the chance to meet interesting people around the world and builed a great team. I like the fact that i was able to manage a team with different departments such as the maintenance to make sure our rooms were up to par, the receptionist so are customers are happy with their stay. Making sure my ladies have their equipments to work with and helping them at all times because 14 rooms a day is enough. Yes! of course Inspecting the rooms and making sure the rooms are well clean, the apparence is well apon arrival.
The best of all i like to see that in the end we work hard as a team when there is no dirty rooms left.
Pros
you dont have the time to look at the time
Cons
having dirty rooms left over
Good costumer service experience
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 29, 2016
This job require a lot of concentration because we had a lot to do in one day is very hard job but I learned a lot of costumer service and cleaning skills is a big challenge because one of the hardest thing is not to bother the costumers when we were cleaning and also manage sometimes a problem with a costumer and solve it and fill all the necessary amenities to keep a happy costumer. Sme times we had pressure at the hotel but we never had some issues we couldn't fix between co-workers we always tried to have a nice enviroment. is a nice experience working as a housekeeper.
Pros
new skills in costumer service
productive and fun place with free lunch
Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONDecember 23, 2015
Performs routine duties in cleaning and servicing of guest rooms and baths under supervision of housekeeping supervisor. Room attendant promotes a positive image of the property to guests and must be pleasant, honest, friendly and should also able to address guest requests and problems....

I Believe in myself that I can do anything, the motivation that I  have can push me into doing a good job, to make people happy and  myself to be proud on my job.
My co-worker is friendly and i am so happy to be with them ,, there is a respect and team work between us ...
the hardest part in my work is when i have all the rooms checkout and everybody is busy no one helping you through that ...
the most enjoyable part is when we are working as a team and we done our work before it is time and our guests arrive happily .
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
9 hours
Professional
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PEOctober 30, 2015
This was probably my favorite job, very fun but very professional. They take pride in their property and also their loyalty program. I have grown from this job. The hardest part of the job would be hockey teams those weekends were stressful but as a team we got through it. Every hotel probably understands where I am coming from, the most enjoyable part was getting to meet people from all over the world, learning a lot of things that will help me with my career in the future.
Pros
Excellent team
Cons
Hockey teams
Great Staff but no Internal Promotion
Guest Service Agent (Current Employee) –  London, ONSeptember 1, 2015
Fellow employees are wonderful to work with, but the location of the hotel has the front desk in weekly contact with the local police for a lot of vehicle break ins and outrageous guests. Management is always supportive and friendly but do not follow through on promises of internal advancement. It's a great place to work but as a University graduate I have great ambition to move up within the operations of a hotel and this cannot be accommodated here unfortunately.
very nice place to work
Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) –  Whitecourt, ABFebruary 15, 2016
very good training, competitive wages, excellence management, grooming standard are awesome, great place to work very light environment, not stressful and friendly people.
Typical workplace
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Gananoque, ONMarch 16, 2016
Management sucks alot. Very rude Manager shes nasty person
Needs better communication skills, and slow down when training new employees.
learned do to night audit
co-workers need to calm down on relax when it comes to certain things
Pros
n/a
Cons
Poor Management
good for a students who doesn't have bills to pay
Banquet and Wedding Server (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONSeptember 11, 2015
preparing for weddings or events the day of, serving food, clearing and cleaning.

fast-paced, co-workers not terrible, management not terrible, work until 2:30am on weekends, free lunches.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Good place to work, when proper amount of workers are working
Laundry Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABDecember 4, 2015
Most days are good, some can be so busy that we should have had more people on. Learn to adjust to the managements way of doing things. Most coworkers were great. The hardest part was to try and do the work of two people on a busy day. I really like my job
Pros
Kept you busy, day went fast
Cons
Some days to busy for one person
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABFebruary 14, 2016
My job as a housekeeper, helped me to be efficient in a small time.
The management was nice. The work was really good splited between employees.
Pros
Good people to work with and learn new things
Cons
Sometimes work gets disgusting, because some guests are nasty