Holiday Inn Employee Reviews

Overall great workplace
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON18 July 2017
Holiday inn is a great place to work the staff as well as guests are always friendly! The owner is careless too his employees but other then that everything was acceptional
Pros
free lunch, free swims, workout room available
Cons
careless owner
great place to work for
Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Riverport, NS18 July 2017
The environment is great. people help each other and management help you grow in your work. However, the pay in this hotel is lower than in other hotels in the area. good place to start though.
didn't meet my expectation
Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 July 2017
i start work early in the morning and finish my shift around 5:30 pm
The way they pay us is not fair.I get paid by how many bed we make.If i don't make 17 beds in my whole shift , they won't pay me full time. Which is not right. They were expected to pay me full time regardless of how may beds i make. I think the management is not good. I always work 8hrs
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
get paid by how many bed you make, not by how many hour you work. I think this is not fair the employees. They exploit us
Amazing Hotel
Catering Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 July 2017
The particular hotel I worked for no longer exits as it was The Holiday Inn The Palace on Gateway Boulevard. It is now a Sawridge. It was owned by IHG and we had the most incredible team, product and service while I worked there. Our clients were all repeat and loyal clients and we knew all of them by name. We ran like a fine tuned clock.
Not a great place to work
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON12 July 2017
not professional
expectations are not spelled out to employees
once targets are achieved, they are not acknowledged
directions change at the last minute (even though they sometimes do not make sense, business-wise)
Pros
only worked days
Cons
favouritism shown to some employees; ownership was not professional
always something different when working, staff always have so mucb fun together. great team players
Banquet Server/Hostess (Current Employee) –  Point Edward, ON10 July 2017
most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and getting to see the happiness that our team brings them.

The hardest part would have to be dealing with people who are "stuck in their ways" and do not appreciate the hard work we all put into everything we do.
Great company to work for. Many chances for future advancement and growth
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Holiday Inn Calgary Airport5 July 2017
My typical day at work is as follows:
- Property walk around
- Check all Departments to ensure all is well.
- Review guest recovery log from the Front Desk to ensure that no follow up is required and all problems have been resolved.
- Check emails and answer all guest emails, and respond to any guest reviews from Heartbeat and any other third party sites, e.g. Expedia, Hotels.com and Booking.com
- Lobby Ambassador during high checkout periods and ensuring all guests have had an enjoyable stay and resolving any problems before guests checkout, if there any issues during their stay.

The workplace culture in my hotel is a pleasant one. All employees are happy and content for the most part. The hardest part of the job is keeping employees as there are many hotels in my area that are being built and offer competitive salaries. The most enjoyable part of my job is not knowing what to expect when I come in. I love that my job is never routine. There is always something different that occurs everyday which challenges me and keeps me on my toes.
23 hotel bedrooms.
Hotel cleaning (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB1 July 2017
It was a really clean place with a lot of people working there. although lots of work to be done in just a little amount of time. Everybody is respectful in the building nobody treats you like you shouldn't be.
Pros
free lunch/ free breakfast.
Cons
cleanliness
Owned by dishonest and disreputable owners
Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON25 June 2017
Dishonest business practices
Time wasted by the worst micro-manager for whom I have ever worked
Very unhappy staff
Poorest work environment of any job that I have ever had
Nice workplace
Housekeeper/Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Edson, AB24 June 2017
I am enjoy working with the company including all their amenities like the gym and a swimming pool!. The administrators are great, the frontdesk are great ang even my colleague!
Pros
Free amenities
Cons
Not full house all the time
Nice place to work.
housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 June 2017
A typical day at holiday inn was really nice, but fast paced, clock in, stock the cleaning carts, go to the assigned rooms, clean the rooms and bathrooms, strip the bed sheets and put clean ones on. the woman I was with showing me the ropes told me I couldn't go on breaks and to take my lunch break after everyone else had theirs, to get rooms done faster. I'll admit I was slow at getting the hang of the repetitive work and that was my downfall and fully my fault. But I still didn't like the idea that I was told not to go on breaks. overall it was a great place to work and most of the staff were really nice and genuine people.
Pros
meeting great people, salary
Cons
suggested that i shouldnt take breaks and have a late lunch.
hard work
Housekeeping/attendant (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON17 June 2017
Benefits good low pay.can be quite stressful at times.management can be strict and lax.weekend work is normal. Opportunity for advancement.good retirement plan.
good people
Cook (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON15 June 2017
good people and management to work for, free food. benefits included. free parking. free uniform with name included. new kitchen to work in. very accommodating
Pros
free food
Great
Laundry Attendant (Former Employee) –  Slave Lake, AB15 June 2017
I was working in laundry so it was a lot of work we had to do during the day with going to rooms and stripping the beds folding and restocking the storage closets in each floor
Front Desk Agent
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 June 2017
Currently working as a Front Desk Agent. This property has rotational shifts where I have learned Night Auditing, Room Inspection, Room Assignment, Telephone handling, Making reservations, updating past/future reservations, Laundry, Breakfast, Communicating with Guests.
Pros
Rotational Shifts, Worked in all Fields
Cons
No permanent Schedule, Shifts changes weekly
housekeeping
Laundry Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 June 2017
Start at 7 am off at 3:30pm. I was able to advance in this hotel to a supervisor position quick, but did not receive a increase in pay. my manager of the housekeeping department was great. i made s few good friends while i worked with this company. i think the hardest part of this job was i was doing the work load of two people.
Poorly managed, maintained
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 June 2017
The best part of this job is the constant interaction with people from all walks of life. This company's culture is based around the guest experience and the guest's perception is very important to evaluate the hotel's performance.
Management makes employees use very scarce resources and materials to provide an image of well stacked hotels but it is actually very difficult to keep it running.
In company owned hotels there are a few opportunities for advancement but in franchised independently owned properties it is very difficult to advance and the owners would rather hire underqualified supervisors and managers than give employees an advancement opportunity.
Pros
Experience will help move within the industry thanks to Company's reputation
Cons
Hours depend on occupancy levels
Buenos profesionales.
Camarero (Former Employee) –  MONTREAL,CANADA5 June 2017
Empresa con muy buenos profesionales y muy serios a la hora de trabajar.
Keep your friends close and enemies closer.
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS1 June 2017
Would not work here again. Not hazardous waste disposal bins for needles etc. A coworker at the time was changing a garbage bag in the lobby as was stabbed with a used needle. All results came back negative, but all the protocol was followed by the employee. Not management or HR. Nothing was ever done about the lack of proper disposal of needles. Work place favoritism is common here.
Pros
Use of hotel facilities
Cons
Long, hard hours.
Great leadership, fun place to work and great employee recognition
Director of Sales & Marketing & RDOS (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON29 May 2017
this was a hard place to work while transitioning from one hotel brand to the next and changing the poor conotation that went along with that. the rest hardest part was not being paid very well, but still working as hard as my previous jobs. thoroughly enjoyed the team, my team and the leadership.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Holiday Inn. Our community is ready to answer.