Holiday Inn Employee Reviews in Canada

very nice place to work
Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) –  Whitecourt, ABFebruary 15, 2016
very good training, competitive wages, excellence management, grooming standard are awesome, great place to work very light environment, not stressful and friendly people.
Worst company i have ever worked for. The Company does not respect the employee contracts, and the union only cares for the union. You're on your own.
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSAugust 18, 2016
Not a Company to grow with. I started with the Company in 2011, with a signed contract for a full time Bartender position. Over the four years of employment the union and Management used loopholes to take my full time shifts and give them to under qualified persons, while leaving me with one or two breakfast serving shifts, by the end the Union told me to get another job...so I did. The company told me if I did not work the breakfast shifts I would be fired. Having another bartender job, breakfast was impossible for me to do, so they let me go and said that I quit. WORST COMPANY AND MANAGEMENT EVER!
Not a good management
Visitor Services Attendant (Current Employee) –  Swift CurrentFebruary 5, 2016
This is job is only for New Comers. Benefits are not satisfactory . If good management team re-established, I am OK. Time bound and co-workers are all doing 2 jobs.
Good
Cons
No fixed Income
it was a fun work place
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ONMay 31, 2016
i would go in start laundry get carts ready for the day make sure they were fully stocked with cleaners rags, etc...... management was okay they could have listened better to ideas that would help around but over all they were good with solving problems and getting to the bottom of things, my co-workers were a great groups of girls very out going always walked in with a smile one there face always ready to take on the day no matter what was in store for us, hardest part about the job was when hockey season was here longer hours messier rooms and days seems to drag on with how messy the rooms where but we would always push throw and get the job done, what i enjoyed about going to work every day was everyone was so friendly and out going
Pros
we would have staff pot lucks for everyone to talk about how well we where doing
Lots to complete, little training
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABJanuary 11, 2016
Overall, the Holiday Inn did not have the correct management in place to be training employees. If one messed up a transaction or email they were criticized by the management openly and in front of others. It became very tight-knit between the employees versus the management of the front desk. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to learn quickly and keep up to the standards that were in place. I most enjoyed creating a relationship with other managers that were in other areas of the business.
Pros
Creating relationships with other employees and managers.
Cons
odd shifts, not very flexible
Enjoyed working with the public
Housekeeping Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKJune 25, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of doing a low stock merchandise count using PDT System, rotating merchandise on shelves, restocking merchandise, organizing displays for in-store promotions.

I learned how to order merchandise for the store when the manager was on conference calls. The hardest part of the job was trying to get to the stock to be put out on the floor from the back, was disorganized and made it difficult to perform my job properly.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the public and assisting them when needed.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Disorganized store
Day in the life of a Guest Service Agent
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONApril 11, 2016
AM- Check-outs, settle the bill, make sure there are no restaurant charges left behind. Take phone reservations, prepare the rest of the day for the PM shift for check-ins.

The hardest part of the job is when you don't have a good manager, that doesn't lead by example of how things can run smoothly and fair.

I love working with the public, so the hospitality industry has definitely given me that opportunity. It has opened my eyes to all the different personalities out there and how easily people get flustered, and taught me how to turn a terrible experience for a guest into a great one when they leave, but just listening to them vent and try your best to assist them.
Pros
Guest services
My Work place
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 22, 2016
Everyday i start my work by checking the internal and external of the building, checking the electrical, boiler room and pool water chemistry and then proceed to my usual daily work order schedule after finishing the work request i go for my daily preventative maintenance.

Everyday has a different task and problems so i learned a lot specially the maintaining the pool and the boiler.

Co-workers, we have a camaraderie because i maintain a good communication.

Hardest part of the job, none

Enjoyable part of the job is my co-workers.
Productive & fun workplace
Switchboard Operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 3, 2016
Great place to work fun work place with great staff and managers. Great hotel with lots of benefits and competitive salary.
Typical workplace
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Gananoque, ONMarch 16, 2016
Management sucks alot. Very rude Manager shes nasty person
Needs better communication skills, and slow down when training new employees.
learned do to night audit
co-workers need to calm down on relax when it comes to certain things
Pros
n/a
Cons
Poor Management
Unprofessional Unenjoyable Place to work
Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSAugust 2, 2016
A typical day at work, was being nagged about everything possible, and constantly being told I wasn't doing things properly after not getting the training I needed.
The co-workers were amazing to work with, kind of gossipy, but thats expected at every job. It was the management team that was unprofessional and unfair to ALL workers.
Hardest part of the job was all of it because it was a stressful place to work.
Pros
Good tips
Looks Great... on the surface
Night Auditor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 28, 2015
The wages and benefits are very good, if you qualify for full time but the management there needs works. There is absolutely no accountability for the multitudes of people who do not perform their jobs which leaves the few good employees frustrated. The under performing employees stay for 5, 10, or 15 years while the good ones quickly leave. There is a culture of doing as little as possible there and mangement does nothing about it. Apply here only if you are willing to end every day frustrated with your co workers or are also lazy.
Pros
flexible schedules, food and room discounts
Cons
management does not do their jobs, culture of laziness
Fast paced and a lot of experience gained, daily management assistance
3rd Cook (Current Employee) –  North York, ONMarch 31, 2016
-Fast paced
-Hard working
-Am and PM service
-Poor management
-Friendly staff
-inexperienced co-workers
-passionate dedication to excel
If you want advancement or a team that supports you...look elsewhere.
Guest Services Agent (Former Employee) –  London, ONJune 3, 2016
I loved working here for the first little while. Then people started showing their true colours. Management is a mess, and everything with them is personal. They have you sign a "no gossip" clause...but then managers are gossiping about you. You can't trust anybody. The best part of this job is that if you work in the mornings, before breakfast closes, you can get some free breakfast.
Professional and friendly atmosphere
Guest Services Representative&Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONMay 27, 2016
Very fast paced environment which I thrive on.

I gained amazing amount of knowledge on how to assist guests with all their needs and being able to predict what they are looking for ahead of time.

Guest satisfaction was important and that they emphasize on recognizing employees achievements
Pros
Free meals, monthly celebrations
Cons
no room for growth due to low turnover
Great Staff but no Internal Promotion
Guest Service Agent (Current Employee) –  London, ONSeptember 1, 2015
Fellow employees are wonderful to work with, but the location of the hotel has the front desk in weekly contact with the local police for a lot of vehicle break ins and outrageous guests. Management is always supportive and friendly but do not follow through on promises of internal advancement. It's a great place to work but as a University graduate I have great ambition to move up within the operations of a hotel and this cannot be accommodated here unfortunately.
Good costumer service experience
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 29, 2016
This job require a lot of concentration because we had a lot to do in one day is very hard job but I learned a lot of costumer service and cleaning skills is a big challenge because one of the hardest thing is not to bother the costumers when we were cleaning and also manage sometimes a problem with a costumer and solve it and fill all the necessary amenities to keep a happy costumer. Sme times we had pressure at the hotel but we never had some issues we couldn't fix between co-workers we always tried to have a nice enviroment. is a nice experience working as a housekeeper.
Pros
new skills in costumer service
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABFebruary 14, 2016
My job as a housekeeper, helped me to be efficient in a small time.
The management was nice. The work was really good splited between employees.
Pros
Good people to work with and learn new things
Cons
Sometimes work gets disgusting, because some guests are nasty
Strong yet small team of goal orientated people
Guest Services Agent (Former Employee) –  London, ONJuly 12, 2015
Holiday Inn was a great stepping stone to where I'm at now. Being part of a large chain of hotels, Intercontinental Hotels Group, a day in the life of a front desk attendant here is centered around quality control. Our job was goal specific and each day was critiqued to ensure the highest level of customer service. I learned a great deal about how to accommodate a substantially variance of people. My coworkers here were awesome, simply the best, however there weren't enough of them. It was very short staffed here, with management never entirely available. We were trained to deter guests from contacting our manager as it was preferred that we should handle any matter ourselves. This of course has it's benefits, I learned patience under pressure although I believe providing substandard support for your employee's is not beneficial in the long run. Aside from these small faults the best part of working here was the people I worked with.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Unavailable Management
Well worth the experience
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 15, 2016
Initially a very welcoming atmosphere. I was soon taught how to operate the check in/check out program, and was soon implementing said program into everyday life on the job. Initially, the vast number of guests was overwhelming, however once I adapted, communicating became second nature and very much enjoyable.