Controller/Director of Finance
Position Type: 6-month term project (see additional information)
Company Name: the Enjoy Centre
Application Deadline: June 21, 2013
The Controller/Director of Finance is responsible for the financial stewardship of the organization and is accountable to the CEO for all aspects of financial reporting and strategy, compliance, risk management and IT.
The ideal candidate will have an appreciation for the history and community legacy of Hole’s Greenhouses & Gardens, as well as for a business culture based on the traditional work ethic of a family farm. It is essential that the candidate is perceptive and possesses the strong communication skills needed to lead and influence the change management of a diverse team and business in transition. The ability to prioritize and remain focused is essential.
- In collaboration with the CEO, financiers and company accountant, determine, implement and review internal and external financial reporting requirements and rhythms. Included in this is the provision of information and advice to other departments with respect to financial performance, costing and efficiencies.
- Based on business needs, CEO’s requirements and Navision system capabilities, organize the accounting department (including A/R, A/P, Payroll, Benefits, Inventory and Fixed Assets) and roles to meet requirements. Direct and evaluate the department on an ongoing basis.
- In collaboration with the CEO, establish performance standards for Hole’s retail and service departments
- Prepare financial forecasting and cash flow analysis
- Prepare or coordinate the preparation of financial statements, summaries and other analyses (cost/benefit) and financial management reports as required
- Coordinate the financial planning and budget process, establish performance standards and analyze and correct estimates
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory reporting requirements
- Evaluate financial reporting systems, accounting procedures and investment activities, and make recommendations for changes to procedures, operating systems, budgets and other financial control functions to CEO and senior managers
- Drive and lead the development and implementation of strategic and business plans
- Organize and manage the accounting team, including providing feedback and support
- Provide guidance and information to the Human Resources Coordinator with respect to hiring requirements and labour budgets
- Manage all capital transactions, including personal and company
- Develop and maintain all banking relationships and reporting requirements
- Develop and maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Develop cross-training and succession planning processes for all roles within the accounting department
- 5 years minimum of experience and knowledge of all aspects of corporate accounting and financial management
- Excellent organizational skills to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Leadership skills to engage a strong team environment
- Effective communication skills
- Proficient with use of various accounting software systems, including ERP systems (Navision) and Microsoft Office, specifically Excel
- Either a Bachelor of Commerce degree or a Business Administration degree (concentration in Finance or Accounting)
- Recognized accounting designation
This position has the potential of becoming permanent at the completion of the 6 month term.
Hole’s Greenhouses & Gardens was established by the late and much loved Ted and Lois Hole. Together they built one of Canada’s biggest garden centres. Today, Hole’s continues to be guided by the values that have become the family’s legacy.
As the lead partner in the Enjoy Centre, Hole’s is excited to continue its traditions of great quality and service while expanding the concept of gardening to reflect a broader, more modern view of living.
Hole’s Greenhouses & Gardens was established by the late and much loved Ted and Lois Hole. Together they built one of...