Hockley Valley Resort Employee Reviews

Love Hockley Valley Resort!
Undisclosed (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ON1 September 2017
I have been with the resort for just over 6 years now and truly call this my home. Hockley is a family owned/operated facility and having worked within corporations in the past, I can absolutely say without hesitation the amount of care and attention that exists is the reason I have stayed. Along with my primary department I have also assisted in numerous other departments including golf, food and beverage outlets and front desk. The owners are friendly, approachable and fair - they listen and make decisions that will benefit the business and the team. Hospitality is an industry with numerous growth and opportunity and I have witnessed that countless times here at the resort. The culture of employee development is something I believe strongly in and have benefited from directly.
There will always be disgruntled past employees who write negatively about their employers but what you read is not always the truth and if you are passionate about hospitality, love the idea of facility benefits (ski, golf, spa!) and growth, this is the perfect spot to be!
Pros
Golf, Spa, Ski discounts! Amazing food, great relationships with other employees and repeat guests/clients
Fantastic place to work
GSA (Current Employee) –  Mono, ON23 August 2017
I can not say enough good things about my experience at HVR. The owners are awesome to work for. If you are a hard worker and enjoy working in hospitality this is a great place for you to work with lots of career development opportunities. The environment is amazing, the staff are great; just an overall great place to work.
Pros
free ski & golf, meals, career development
Do not work at this place
Worker (Former Employee) –  Mono Road, ON21 August 2017
If you are desperate, then work for this company. I have seen good people hired, worked like a dog, and then fired for no reason. HR works for owners NOT staff. Pathetic. RUn for the hills people. They make you sign a piece of paper that you agree to work 12 hours if necessary. Gratuities always a hassle. Management takes 30% of your tips.
Pros
free food
Cons
You are expendable! They will fire you at any time. The catering chef is a you know what...
Management over works staff for little pay.
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Mono, ON26 May 2017
What a horrible place to work. Management steals your tips because the owners pay peanuts and then supplements their pay with servers tips. There is no respect for staff unless you are a pretty young woman who doesn't mind being touched and flirted with. Male servers especially don't waste your time applying here. Management is very unprofessional and will treat you like dirt while allowing other staff to break the rules whenever they like. The tip pool is a joke and who gets what is never explained. It's all very shady, especially since management takes 35% of your tips (not a tip out since the people who deserve to get tipped out get nothing). If you are a professional server or bartender don't bother working here since you will not be treated with the respect you deserve.
Pros
The drive to work was beautiful.
Cons
Too many to explain how these amateurs operate
Ever changing, family environment, fast pace
Steward (Former Employee) –  Hockley Valley, ON26 April 2017
Absolutely loved working here because of my coworkers. The Chef's and other dishwashers gave the resort a family feel. The work was often fast pace and you have to keep up with organization and be team efficient. While my peers were fun and organized, management was often scatter brained and they refused to give me a promotion because I was leaving in the fall for school so they considered it unnecessary. However, I was still treated like a supervisor required to restock, order chemicals and supplies, train new staff, discipline current staff and more, while receiving the same pay as other workers. It ultimately led to the team feeling frustrated having to listen to someone who was their equal, and it created a difficult working environment.

available shifts are morning and night shift. morning shift works 8am to 430pm, night shift works 4pm until everything is complete. night shift ranges between 7-15 hour shifts.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Disfunctional managed company with little concern for emploies.
Worker (Former Employee) –  Mono, ON15 March 2017
I worked a few years watching so many people quit or get canned for reasons that always come back to the company. If you are experienced worker with good work etheric it will not take long to discern there are problems here. The pay is minimal yet and duties change at will, the sales are treated well to keep them happy but workers treated poorly. Do not expect any raises even if they are agreed upon in advance.
Many of your co-workers will help the day go by but there will not be any bonuses, perks, benefits or long term gains. Known problems are not addressed affecting both customers and employee yet this is common practice at HVR. Sad management keeps patting themselves on the back and yet not managing,
Avoid this place like the plague. There are not enough pros verses cons at this workplace.
Pros
Some good people are working here
Cons
Far too many to out shine the pros. Start here at your own risk!

Comment – 20 March 2017

This is a harsh review but biased on / by a career minded employee. For a first summer job it may be suited to you. My guess is that 85% of all employees have worked there for less then 3 years overall. Don't give away a job to join this outfit as blind sided events and hour reductions happen often. I started salary and ended hourly and never a raise in pay. (Dose this sound like a place to be?)

Productive work environment
Housekeeping/Laundry (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON27 September 2016
participated as a valuable employee in a dynamic work environment focused on promoting business growth by providing superior value to satisfied customers.
Good Staff
Children's Event Face Painter (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON12 June 2016
Staff was friendly, inviting and very professional. The facility was quite modern, and very clean. i would recommend joining the Hockley Valley team!
Very Demanding and unappreciative
Steward (Former Employee) –  Mono, ON6 June 2016
If you really need a job then it ok. But don't ever look to move into another department or you end up getting fired! They work you like dogs and treat you poorly when you don't go in on short notice (even though they are your scheduled days off)
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Long Hours and unappreciative employer
Not the best company to work for High Turnaround for a reason. Stay away unless you are desperate
Undisclosed (Former Employee) –  Mono, ON27 May 2016
The grounds are beautiful. However, you will never be appreciated for your hard work. They may say they do but they do not. Pay is at lowest pay scale legally. If you ever have concerns you are ignored. Only certain departments are considered worthy. HR is a joke. not sure how they even consider having an HR department as all complaints are overlooked by owners. At the end of the day it is all about the money they have in their pocket. The odd time you may see a good employee review, but most of the time all the complaints are the same. No one local wants to work there cause they know their reputation is horrible. Don't get sucked into to this superficial vortex of negativity and blood sweat and tear sucking place. Their Motto is "it's how we make you Feel" ya right right, you make your employees fee like prisoners and you take advantage of the ones you know need a job! which is most of us. Then they they let you go with some bogus excuse that is barely legal when they are done with you not considering all you have done. STAY AWAY!!!!!
Pros
Nice Grounds
Cons
everything
Fun Safe Workplace
Ski Instructor (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON22 March 2016
My day at Hockley Valley Resort was fun as I was able to enjoy my favourite sport by teaching it to others. I did not have to work very much with others as I was instructing by myself however I did enjoy being around and talking with my co-workers there. Management there was always amazing. They were always on top of what was happening and always there to help any employee that needed it. The hardest part of this job was only that it was physically demanding and I could work for many hours at a time.
Pros
Great Environment
Cons
Long hours without breaks
Don't bother
server (Former Employee) –  mono6 August 2015
I got a job here as a server. Loved it at first mostly because I loved everyone I worked with very kind people.... But !!! Management was horrible. You constantly had to check your pay because they were very good at slipping some hours off and it was already very minimal. After maybe 3 weeks of still being on "training" which means 11 hours a day 5-6 days a week polishing cutlery and washing dishes making no tips and serving no tables they decide to move me up to the spa restaurant where I would be serving on my own. They told me it was very busy and people always tip so it's good money. I was also told I was going to make a percentage off of every meal sold and all tips would be mine. This job was none of that. I went months without getting a proper pay check they would never give me my commissions or tips, I would have to go from manager to manager to finally figure out the problem cause the girl in h.r couldn't care less she just walks around all day used to come into the spa for mani pedis and other treatments all the time. Never in my life have I left a job and never went back with no 2 weeks notice no nothing. I owe this place nothing and if I were you I wouldn't bother ! This place is scrap and I would not recommend any one to work there
Pros
Nothinnnnnnng
Cons
Absolutely everything
Working in a rental shop helping customers and repairs on equipment
Full time seasonal employment (Former Employee) –  Mono township9 April 2015
Help size school groups for ski and snowboard equipment, doing adjustments and repairs keeping the shop clean and doing general work around the office
Pros
free skiing
Cons
inconsistent work
enjoyed working at a place where i love to ski
cashier, customer service and answering telephones (Former Employee) –  Hockley Valley, ON10 February 2015
short hours, easy job to handle and caught on quick. My managers were awesome i enjoy working there, my co workers were great as well. I learned how to file information, how to take photos ID's. Most enjoyable part of the job was going to work at a job i enjoy working at.
Pros
Free lift tickets
Cons
no cons
demanding food and beverage operations
cook (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON23 July 2014
The kitchen operations had the longest hrs worked compared to the rest of the resort. If you end up salaried you do a minimum 10-12 hrs days sometimes more. Any additional days beyond 5 and you are not compensated. Many salaried kitchen chefs are overworked. Hourly you can make money during busy times

Some great people to work with. Others can act very indifferent towards you if you express any opnion or view point. Best to keep your head down and work. If you want to make a difference go else where.

Management has good and poor individuals. The owners are nice people but once you challange a concern like a chef i worked with your days are numbered. Feedback is not always welcome especially if its different to theirs.

Staff turnover is extremely high at the resort compared to other similar businesses. This in its self speaks volumes.

Met some great people and others not so desiring. Always be careful of who you trust and their is a culture with some to get ahead and walk over you to get there.

Lack of appriciation at times and poor attitudes by others is a reason I left. If you have no humality or ethics this place will work for you. If you want to be respected look for alternatives.
Pros
meals, uniform, quaterly awards, good food
Cons
long work hrs, no work live balance, poor culture
Server (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON29 May 2013
A great place to work, but the problem is there are alot of hours in one day.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
fun place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON5 March 2013
first thing we do is check all reservations for the day and if we have any events to prepare for and get things set up for smooth service,
Pros
free staff meals
Dont work here if you know whats good for you
A little bit of everything (Former Employee) –  Hockley Valley resort17 January 2013
Considering Hockley Valley is such a well known and seems to be an upper class hotel resort, do not be fooled to believe that they will treat employees with the respect they deserve in every way. They over use you, make you work a lot of hours and do not pay you overtime. If you notice they always have job postings .. there is a reason for that. They recycle there employees if you have a problem with anything there, they will not listen to your concern they just fire you... hence the recycling ! The management there will not help you in anyway, there is no training they just throw you into everything. I know people who have worked there for over 5 years and sti dont get a raise! The human resources will not help you with that either because she works for the owners not for the employees like human resources should. trust me nothing good will come out of working here take it from someone who worked there for a year and in the end i wasnt working with anyone i started with ! IT SUCKS
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
High energy
Part Time Employment (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON27 November 2012
I enjoyed working at Hockley. The people were very kind and always helpful. I liked the high energy atmosphere.
Pros
very nice people to work with
Cons
had to work every weekend, sometimes rooms were trashed, low pay and no benefits
very enjoyable job, kept me busy
Dishwasher/food prep (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON16 November 2012
serving customers, learnt how bake products, management wern't doing job properly and they got let go, hardest part of the job was management being harsh on many little thing which eventualy ended with their termination, the enjoyable part was working with all my friends.
Pros
worked with many good friends/brother
Cons
worked with a person i wasn't fond of

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hockley Valley Resort. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9