Hockley Valley Resort Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Don't bother
server (Former Employee), monoAugust 6, 2015
Pros: NOTHINNNNNNNG
Cons: Absolutely everything
I got a job here as a server. Loved it at first mostly because I loved everyone I worked with very kind people.... But !!! Management was horrible. You constantly had to check your pay because they were very good at slipping some hours off and it was already very minimal. After maybe 3 weeks of still being on "training" which means 11 hours a day 5-6 days a week polishing cutlery and washing dishes making no tips and serving no tables they decide to move me up to the spa restaurant where I would be serving on my own. They told me it was very busy and people always tip so it's good money. I was also told I was going to make a percentage off of every meal sold and all tips would be mine. This job was none of that. I went months without getting a proper pay check they would never give me my commissions or tips, I would have to go from manager to manager to finally figure out the problem cause the girl in h.r couldn't care less she just walks around all day used to come into the spa for mani pedis and other treatments all the time. Never in my life have I left a job and never went back with no 2 weeks notice no nothing. I owe this place nothing and if I were you I wouldn't bother ! This place is scrap and I would not recommend any one to work there
A busy and fast-paced environment
Steward (Former Employee), Mono, ONJune 21, 2015
Pros: Free dinners, lunches, and breakfasts. A good amount of benefits.
Cons: Long hours, not very organized.
To be honest, it was a very stressful and long job. The hours and organization could have been fixed up a lot better. As well, the organization would be better if people tried to work with the employees. The hardest part of the job was the hours, which were not specific whatsoever. The most enjoyable part was being with other people and the kindness people shared amongst each other.
Working in a rental shop helping customers and repairs on equipment
Full time seasonal employment (Former Employee), Mono townshipApril 9, 2015
Pros: free skiing
Cons: inconsistent work
Help size school groups for ski and snowboard equipment, doing adjustments and repairs keeping the shop clean and doing general work around the office
enjoyed working at a place where i love to ski
cashier, customer service and answering telephones (Former Employee), Hockley Valley, ONFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: free lift tickets
Cons: no cons
short hours, easy job to handle and caught on quick. My managers were awesome i enjoy working there, my co workers were great as well. I learned how to file information, how to take photos ID's. Most enjoyable part of the job was going to work at a job i enjoy working at.
demanding food and beverage operations
cook (Former Employee), Orangeville, ONJuly 23, 2014
Pros: meals, uniform, quaterly awards, good food
Cons: long work hrs, no work live balance, poor culture
The kitchen operations had the longest hrs worked compared to the rest of the resort. If you end up salaried you do a minimum 10-12 hrs days sometimes more. Any additional days beyond 5 and you are not compensated. Many salaried kitchen chefs are overworked. Hourly you can make money during busy times

Some great people to work with. Others can act very indifferent towards you if you express any opnion or view point. Best to keep your head down and work. If you want to make a difference go else where.

Management has good and poor individuals. The owners are nice people but once you challange a concern like a chef i worked with your days are numbered. Feedback is not always welcome especially if its different to theirs.

Staff turnover is extremely high at the resort compared to other similar businesses. This in its self speaks volumes.

Met some great people and others not so desiring. Always be careful of who you trust and their is a culture with some to get ahead and walk over you to get there.

Lack of appriciation at times and poor attitudes by others is a reason I left. If you have no humality or ethics this place will work for you. If you want to be respected look for alternatives.
n/a
Server (Former Employee), Orangeville, ONMay 29, 2013
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
A great place to work, but the problem is there are alot of hours in one day.
fun place to work
Server (Former Employee), Orangeville, ONMarch 5, 2013
Pros: free staff meals
first thing we do is check all reservations for the day and if we have any events to prepare for and get things set up for smooth service,
Dont work here if you know whats good for you
A little bit of everything (Former Employee), Hockley Valley resortJanuary 17, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
Considering Hockley Valley is such a well known and seems to be an upper class hotel resort, do not be fooled to believe that they will treat employees with the respect they deserve in every way. They over use you, make you work a lot of hours and do not pay you overtime. If you notice they always have job postings .. there is a reason for that. They recycle there employees if you have a problem with anything there, they will not listen to your concern they just fire you... hence the recycling ! The management there will not help you in anyway, there is no training they just throw you into everything. I know people who have worked there for over 5 years and sti dont get a raise! The human resources will not help you with that either because she works for the owners not for the employees like human resources should. trust me nothing good will come out of working here take it from someone who worked there for a year and in the end i wasnt working with anyone i started with ! IT SUCKS
High energy
Part Time Employment (Former Employee), Orangeville, ONNovember 27, 2012
Pros: very nice people to work with
Cons: had to work every weekend, sometimes rooms were trashed, low pay and no benefits
I enjoyed working at Hockley. The people were very kind and always helpful. I liked the high energy atmosphere.
very enjoyable job, kept me busy
Dishwasher/food prep (Former Employee), Orangeville, ONNovember 16, 2012
Pros: worked with many good friends/brother
Cons: worked with a person i wasn't fond of
serving customers, learnt how bake products, management wern't doing job properly and they got let go, hardest part of the job was management being harsh on many little thing which eventualy ended with their termination, the enjoyable part was working with all my friends.
all year round busy work environment
A la Carte Captain/Server (Current Employee), Orangeville, ONNovember 6, 2012
Pros: free lunches, use of facilities
Cons: long hours, working weekends
run day to day operations, supervising/serving.
understood other concepts for new skills and learning new things daily.
lots of staff to work with. constantly a team effort in reaching goals to better yourself and the company while maintaining proffesionalism at all times.
hardest part of the job would missing out on occasions or events due to a demanding work schedule.
the most enjoyable part was making a good income, socializing with guests, meeting new people everyday, constantly learning new things everday.
Over worked, underpaid, and under-appreciated.
Second Cook. (Former Employee), hockley valleyJuly 31, 2012
Pros: free golf
Cons: too many to list!
Would not recommend seeking employment at HVR as they are only concerned about their bottom line and care very little for their staff.
They go through employees like there's no tomorrow!! They pay the basic minimum, but expect so much in return. They promise raises, but give none! Just check their job listings to see how many chefs/cooks they need...says it all!