Hockley Valley Resort Employee Reviews in Canada

Good Staff
Children's Event Face Painter (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ONJune 12, 2016
Staff was friendly, inviting and very professional. The facility was quite modern, and very clean. i would recommend joining the Hockley Valley team!
Very Demanding and unappreciative
Steward (Former Employee) –  Mono, ONJune 6, 2016
If you really need a job then it ok. But don't ever look to move into another department or you end up getting fired! They work you like dogs and treat you poorly when you don't go in on short notice (even though they are your scheduled days off)
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Long Hours and unappreciative employer
Not the best company to work for High Turnaround for a reason. Stay away unless you are desperate
Undisclosed (Former Employee) –  Mono, ONMay 27, 2016
The grounds are beautiful. However, you will never be appreciated for your hard work. They may say they do but they do not. Pay is at lowest pay scale legally. If you ever have concerns you are ignored. Only certain departments are considered worthy. HR is a joke. not sure how they even consider having an HR department as all complaints are overlooked by owners. At the end of the day it is all about the money they have in their pocket. The odd time you may see a good employee review, but most of the time all the complaints are the same. No one local wants to work there cause they know their reputation is horrible. Don't get sucked into to this superficial vortex of negativity and blood sweat and tear sucking place. Their Motto is "it's how we make you Feel" ya right right, you make your employees fee like prisoners and you take advantage of the ones you know need a job! which is most of us. Then they they let you go with some bogus excuse that is barely legal when they are done with you not considering all you have done. STAY AWAY!!!!!
Pros
Nice Grounds
Cons
everything
Fun Safe Workplace
Ski Instructor (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ONMarch 22, 2016
My day at Hockley Valley Resort was fun as I was able to enjoy my favourite sport by teaching it to others. I did not have to work very much with others as I was instructing by myself however I did enjoy being around and talking with my co-workers there. Management there was always amazing. They were always on top of what was happening and always there to help any employee that needed it. The hardest part of this job was only that it was physically demanding and I could work for many hours at a time.
Pros
Great Environment
Cons
Long hours without breaks
Don't bother
server (Former Employee) –  monoAugust 6, 2015
I got a job here as a server. Loved it at first mostly because I loved everyone I worked with very kind people.... But !!! Management was horrible. You constantly had to check your pay because they were very good at slipping some hours off and it was already very minimal. After maybe 3 weeks of still being on "training" which means 11 hours a day 5-6 days a week polishing cutlery and washing dishes making no tips and serving no tables they decide to move me up to the spa restaurant where I would be serving on my own. They told me it was very busy and people always tip so it's good money. I was also told I was going to make a percentage off of every meal sold and all tips would be mine. This job was none of that. I went months without getting a proper pay check they would never give me my commissions or tips, I would have to go from manager to manager to finally figure out the problem cause the girl in h.r couldn't care less she just walks around all day used to come into the spa for mani pedis and other treatments all the time. Never in my life have I left a job and never went back with no 2 weeks notice no nothing. I owe this place nothing and if I were you I wouldn't bother ! This place is scrap and I would not recommend any one to work there
Pros
NOTHINNNNNNNG
Cons
Absolutely everything
Working in a rental shop helping customers and repairs on equipment
Full time seasonal employment (Former Employee) –  Mono townshipApril 9, 2015
Help size school groups for ski and snowboard equipment, doing adjustments and repairs keeping the shop clean and doing general work around the office
Pros
free skiing
Cons
inconsistent work
enjoyed working at a place where i love to ski
cashier, customer service and answering telephones (Former Employee) –  Hockley Valley, ONFebruary 10, 2015
short hours, easy job to handle and caught on quick. My managers were awesome i enjoy working there, my co workers were great as well. I learned how to file information, how to take photos ID's. Most enjoyable part of the job was going to work at a job i enjoy working at.
Pros
free lift tickets
Cons
no cons
demanding food and beverage operations
cook (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ONJuly 23, 2014
The kitchen operations had the longest hrs worked compared to the rest of the resort. If you end up salaried you do a minimum 10-12 hrs days sometimes more. Any additional days beyond 5 and you are not compensated. Many salaried kitchen chefs are overworked. Hourly you can make money during busy times

Some great people to work with. Others can act very indifferent towards you if you express any opnion or view point. Best to keep your head down and work. If you want to make a difference go else where.

Management has good and poor individuals. The owners are nice people but once you challange a concern like a chef i worked with your days are numbered. Feedback is not always welcome especially if its different to theirs.

Staff turnover is extremely high at the resort compared to other similar businesses. This in its self speaks volumes.

Met some great people and others not so desiring. Always be careful of who you trust and their is a culture with some to get ahead and walk over you to get there.

Lack of appriciation at times and poor attitudes by others is a reason I left. If you have no humality or ethics this place will work for you. If you want to be respected look for alternatives.
Pros
meals, uniform, quaterly awards, good food
Cons
long work hrs, no work live balance, poor culture
Server (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ONMay 29, 2013
A great place to work, but the problem is there are alot of hours in one day.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
fun place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ONMarch 5, 2013
first thing we do is check all reservations for the day and if we have any events to prepare for and get things set up for smooth service,
Pros
free staff meals
Dont work here if you know whats good for you
A little bit of everything (Former Employee) –  Hockley Valley resortJanuary 17, 2013
Considering Hockley Valley is such a well known and seems to be an upper class hotel resort, do not be fooled to believe that they will treat employees with the respect they deserve in every way. They over use you, make you work a lot of hours and do not pay you overtime. If you notice they always have job postings .. there is a reason for that. They recycle there employees if you have a problem with anything there, they will not listen to your concern they just fire you... hence the recycling ! The management there will not help you in anyway, there is no training they just throw you into everything. I know people who have worked there for over 5 years and sti dont get a raise! The human resources will not help you with that either because she works for the owners not for the employees like human resources should. trust me nothing good will come out of working here take it from someone who worked there for a year and in the end i wasnt working with anyone i started with ! IT SUCKS
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
High energy
Part Time Employment (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ONNovember 27, 2012
I enjoyed working at Hockley. The people were very kind and always helpful. I liked the high energy atmosphere.
Pros
very nice people to work with
Cons
had to work every weekend, sometimes rooms were trashed, low pay and no benefits
very enjoyable job, kept me busy
Dishwasher/food prep (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ONNovember 16, 2012
serving customers, learnt how bake products, management wern't doing job properly and they got let go, hardest part of the job was management being harsh on many little thing which eventualy ended with their termination, the enjoyable part was working with all my friends.
Pros
worked with many good friends/brother
Cons
worked with a person i wasn't fond of
all year round busy work environment
A la Carte Captain/Server (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ONNovember 6, 2012
run day to day operations, supervising/serving.
understood other concepts for new skills and learning new things daily.
lots of staff to work with. constantly a team effort in reaching goals to better yourself and the company while maintaining proffesionalism at all times.
hardest part of the job would missing out on occasions or events due to a demanding work schedule.
the most enjoyable part was making a good income, socializing with guests, meeting new people everyday, constantly learning new things everday.
Pros
free lunches, use of facilities
Cons
long hours, working weekends
Over worked, underpaid, and under-appreciated.
Second Cook. (Former Employee) –  hockley valleyJuly 31, 2012
Would not recommend seeking employment at HVR as they are only concerned about their bottom line and care very little for their staff.
They go through employees like there's no tomorrow!! They pay the basic minimum, but expect so much in return. They promise raises, but give none! Just check their job listings to see how many chefs/cooks they need...says it all!
Pros
free golf
Cons
too many to list!

2.8