HMV Employee Reviews

great company
Full-time Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Greater Toronto19 February 2017
Had fun with staff/ customer interaction about current music and films.
When you have current knowledge about what you listen to and movies, T.V. shows it will help in most cases with selling what you love to customers.
Pros
Working with mangement and staff
Cons
lot of closing shifts.
it was a job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 February 2017
They are going out of business so it doesn't matter. The associates were rude and the job was more stress than it was worth.
Great Work Environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ON12 February 2017
Overall, it's been a great work environment. We have a great store manager who, just by his actions, makes you want to work harder. Everyday tasks primarily focus on customer service and maintaining a visually appealing, organized store. I've had great experiences with customers who are just as passionate about their tastes in music and movies as myself, and my fellow employees. It has been an adventure, but a struggle as well. As part of an industry that has been going digital, we all have to contribute to the evolution of the company.
Pros
Great Co-Workers, passionate about the industry
Cons
The digital age
overall a great experience!
Vice President Operations (Current Employee) –  Canada8 February 2017
Fantastic team of people to work with, very committed group.

I was given the opportunity to operate in multiple roles as well as had access to multiple departments across the business which allowed me to learn many facets of the business I would have other wise not been able to learn. Areas such as real estate, marketing, finance as well as managing a loyalty program, all great learnings.
Pros
collaboration
Cons
product type
Fun & fast paced work environment
Retail Sales Manager & Customer Service Leader (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 February 2017
Been part of a lot of great teams at HMV. Had the pleasure of working alongside some of the most dynamic and passionate people I've ever met. Also worked under some great managers who taught me a lot about managing people and multi million dollar businesses.
Best part of the job, of course, is interacting with customers and discussing all things pop culture.
Pros
free music, concert tickets, etc
Cons
long hours with no overtime
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 February 2017
I really loved working for HMV Canada. I loved having a place where customers could just brows for music and movies and ask our opinions if they wanted to know our opinions.
Pros
Good environment. Employee discount on Purchases
Cons
Poor opportunities for Advancement. Pay could be better
It's a music store
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 February 2017
It was a great music store. It's unfortunate that the company is shutting down. The work atmosphere was great. The access to new & old music was spectacular.
Pros
fun job
Cons
low pay
Fun place until it went under
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC1 February 2017
HMV is unfortunately no longer in business. It is currently undergoing change of management that will no longer employ existing personnel. Too bad, as it was a fun place to work.
Fun while it lasted
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Canada31 January 2017
Hmv was a great place to work at. It was a family of passionate pop culture enthusiasts. There wasn't a high turnover so hours were hard unless full time. Sadly it's going into liquidation so there's not much to review at this point.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Promotions at till, closing down
Great while it lasted
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 January 2017
Fantastic working environment, was able to sell product I am knowledgeable and passionate about. I met a lot of wonderful people with similar interests.
Welcoming and helpful work environment
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 January 2017
The day usually consisted of putting away product until a customer required aid with finding a specific product. The management was very easy, understanding, and helpful. The workplace culture was very relaxed although sometimes a little too candid and lacked focus. The hardest part of the job was managing theft within the store, but the most enjoyable part was sharing your passion with the customers.
Pros
helpful peers
Cons
slow work days
great
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC28 January 2017
Great workplace. Shame that it's shutting down. Probably the most fun place to work and learn new skills. I wish it would have stayed open.
Pros
Amazing people
Cons
Shutting Down
Average Job
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC27 January 2017
Since the company is going under this review really serves no purpose. In the six years i have worked there it has been fun. Although there was no room to advance since the company was in dire straights.
The coworkers were really fun to work with
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QC25 January 2017
I'm a girl who likes to smile, i'm dynamique, i'm good with people, i loved the hours that i was doing there, my boss was really comprehensive about that fact that i go to school and that i had exam and homework, he was making my shifts with my school schedule.
Pros
Fun time
Cons
Sometimes really boring
Great Place to Work.
Customer Service/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray/Edmonton, Ab16 January 2017
I thoroughly enjoy my job at HMV. They are a caring company and a fun place to work. They transferred me locations, kept me employed and cared about my well being during drastic circumstances.
Fun work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON13 January 2017
very positive and upbeat, friendly work environment. Casual dress. Great job for people who are interested in the entertainment industry, movies and music.
Pros
fun
Cons
some management
Fun workplace with a great staff.
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 January 2017
The management was understanding and helpful, the training was thorough and clear, everyone was friendly and helpful, the customers were polite and grateful.
Lazy management and underpaid full time employees.
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Canada9 January 2017
It's an easy job, but full-time key-holders should be paid more then barely above minimum wage. Company is too harsh on staff for promotions that aren't even that good of a promotion and are supposed to push on customers. The point system is only good if you spend at-least $200 a year (which only covers the cost of the card). Maybe it was just my manager, but I've never had such a lazy manager that made the store feel micromanaged. Poor structure for training new employees and lots of old outdated devices/systems that make the work inefficient.

You know it's bad when the entire staff are counting how many hours you're leaving early and question what you do all day in the back room and brush off work and refuse to talk to customers.
Fun Seasonal Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON5 January 2017
This was a fun job for he winter season, but as the hype dies down, the hours are not worth it. Get discounts after working there for a while, and customers coming in will honestly Ask for your opinion which is nice.
Fun place to work during the holidays.
Merchandiser(Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 December 2016
This was a really "fun" job, to be around music, and people that were knowledgeable of music culture. The environment was safe, clean, and accommodating to work in for the most part.
Hours, were decent in peak seasonal operations, but dwindled largely at the end. I was one of the few seasonal hires, offered regular part time employment at the end of the seasonal time period, but I did not stay, as the sporadic 2-4 hour shifts, 2-3 times a week at varying times of the day/night with minimal pay were stressful and barely worth the transit time/money.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Sporadic work, low pay