HMV Employee Reviews

No longer around
Reciever/Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC20 September 2017
HMV closed a while ago. While I think it is still open in the UK it has been out of business in Victoria for a few years. It was a record store and novelty shop.
Environnement de travail dynamique
Assistante gérante (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 August 2017
J'ai beaucoup appris en onze ans avec cette compagnie. La vente, le service à la clientèle, le management, les commandes et la réception de stock, faire les horaires pour les employés, gérer les dépôts et les caisses. J'ai adoré cet emploi.
Pros
Contacts humains, ventes, service, équipe dynamique.
Cons
horaires obligatoires (variés)- temps des fêtes beaucoup d'heures extra pour la direction.
Was a great work environment with friendly management and coworker commradery
Sales Associate/Cashier/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK30 July 2017
Was a great place to work unfortunately they went out of business. I loved the management, I loved the work environment and I loved the friendly atmosphere!
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Short hours
Unsurprising that the company failed.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON26 July 2017
When I was initially hired, the location (HMV 811, Promenade Mall) was in-between full-time management; the acting manager when my employment was approved was an exceptionally supportive individual who I had a personal relationship with owing to the many years that I was a patron where I began working. Shortly after my time at HMV commenced, head office brought a manager in from outside of the company instead of promoting the acting manager who I had until that point as hierarchically my superior. This new manager had an exceptionally toxic manner about them, speaking negatively about other employees when they weren't around; I can only assume that I was discussed in similarly disparaging terms when I was not present. While I initially worked what I'd deem a healthy amount of hours per week given that I was balancing work with school, as time went on, my scheduled shifts became less and less - by the end, often only four hours a week - despite some staff departures and no additional hires taking place; the cliquish atmosphere of the other employees found its way into modifying the schedule so as to give me no real time on premises, whereupon I quit because it became quite evident that they did not want me there and I wasn't interested in pretending that everything was fine for what eventually amounted to $41 a week.
Pros
Appreciated ability to get items at cost.
Cons
Was openly antagonized by manager; workplace culture very cliquish.
Productive fun work place, never a dull moment
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON18 July 2017
The other staff would always be in great moods, always looking for new ways to better the store.Made sure to trail me in everything needed and made sure i was confident in myself before working
Pros
fun environment
Cons
not many hours
Fun-loving team of people who made it feel like a hobby instead of a job to come to daily.
Key Holder - Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 July 2017
HMV never felt like a job. We all did our work on time and genuinely had fun doing it because our crew was and still is the closest of friends. Our managers were highly supportive and trained us well. No one ever wanted to go home because of how much we loved our job.
Pros
People had each others' backs. Loyalty ran strong.
Cons
Some managers were too lenient with lazy employees.
fun work place
Stocking, Customer Service, Cleaning (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB6 July 2017
they have a good management and i enjoy being part of the company. a very good work environment and people are so friendly so you will not get bored during work
Fun
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC4 July 2017
It was a good place to work because I got to share my love of music with my customers. It wasn't really work anymore, because I was able to suggest different music to customers sometimes.
People were great but upper management awful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 May 2017
The people that there were great including our manager, but the upper management from head office wasn't. Most of the what was expected of us was fine: cleaning of the store, organizing the store etc. was good, but when you are judged on was ridiculous.
Great Job
Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 May 2017
I miss working here its a shame they closed down, unfortunately, all the HMV's Canada-wide is closed due to bankruptcy but it was an enjoyable job while it lasted.
Great company to work for
Senior Manager, IT (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON4 May 2017
Lots of opportunity to learn new skills and be involved in many projects. Open door policy with all executives.
Unfortunately the company has gone bankrupt.
It was a nice place to work at
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 May 2017
- Friendly environment
- Everyday there was something new to do
- The job made more outgoing
- I learned to think quick on my feet
- Also learned how to solve problems customers were having
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 May 2017
It was a pretty nice place to work too bad it closed down because it really was a great work environment and the management was nice. The hours were a little low but you take what you can get.
Productive and fun workplace
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 April 2017
Hmv was a wonderful place to work. I loved interacting with customers about common interests, helping them find a product they loved. All the staff were happy and easy to get along with. Management was fair and helpful. I learnt about different up selling techniques and how to excel in customer service.
Pros
Exciting products
a fun work environment
Commis du e-commerce (Former Employee) –  Montréal-Ouest, QC18 April 2017
seasonal part time employee in the online department, was in charge of processing the online orders. working there didn't feel so much like work because the environment was a fun.
Amazing people, amazing company, amazing atmosphere.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON10 April 2017
I couldn't have had a better experience, and appreciated the opportunity to work for this amazing company. It's a shame they're no longer in the community. Will be missed.
Pros
Great staff, Great management, good hours
Energetic, fun environment
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Willowbrook, SK4 April 2017
Absolutely loved the management here, as well as the coworkers. Both always willing to offer help, and easy to advance as long as you're consistently putting in effort.
Pros
Good strong team to work with
Excellent employee culture, frustrating upper management culture
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON4 April 2017
Typical day was fun and task-filled with steady customer interactions. I've learned interpersonal, operational, supervisory, and managerial skills, as well as patience and focus. Management were generally very encouraging and supportive but rarely responsive to feedback. Workplace culture is what you made of it but generally solid and fun. Hardest part of the job was balancing increasing operational task loads with high service expectations and strict deadlines/sales goals. The most enjoyable part of the job was the staff and customers and being surrounded by the products we know and love!
Pros
Staff discount, excellent co-workers, benefits and RRSP's for FT.
Cons
Reduced hours, increased operational task loads, high service expectations and sales attachment rates.
Music Retail
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON28 March 2017
Typical day at work:
- merchandise new inventory
- service customers
- advise customers on new artists and upcoming albums
- contact radio stations with Top Selling artists
Pros
Music! Dealing with customers
Cons
two 12 hour days a week was mandatory
Très bon employeur
Gérant des achats (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC28 March 2017
J'ai beaucoup appris chez hmv.
Je remercie les personnes avec qui j'ai travaillé durant toute ma carrière.