HMV Employee Reviews

People were great but upper management awful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 May 2017
The people that there were great including our manager, but the upper management from head office wasn't. Most of the what was expected of us was fine: cleaning of the store, organizing the store etc. was good, but when you are judged on was ridiculous.
Great company to work for
Senior Manager, IT (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON4 May 2017
Lots of opportunity to learn new skills and be involved in many projects. Open door policy with all executives.
Unfortunately the company has gone bankrupt.
It was a nice place to work at
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 May 2017
- Friendly environment
- Everyday there was something new to do
- The job made more outgoing
- I learned to think quick on my feet
- Also learned how to solve problems customers were having
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 May 2017
It was a pretty nice place to work too bad it closed down because it really was a great work environment and the management was nice. The hours were a little low but you take what you can get.
Productive and fun workplace
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 April 2017
Hmv was a wonderful place to work. I loved interacting with customers about common interests, helping them find a product they loved. All the staff were happy and easy to get along with. Management was fair and helpful. I learnt about different up selling techniques and how to excel in customer service.
Pros
Exciting products
a fun work environment
Commis du e-commerce (Former Employee) –  Montréal-Ouest, QC18 April 2017
seasonal part time employee in the online department, was in charge of processing the online orders. working there didn't feel so much like work because the environment was a fun.
Amazing people, amazing company, amazing atmosphere.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON10 April 2017
I couldn't have had a better experience, and appreciated the opportunity to work for this amazing company. It's a shame they're no longer in the community. Will be missed.
Pros
Great staff, Great management, good hours
Energetic, fun environment
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Willowbrook, SK4 April 2017
Absolutely loved the management here, as well as the coworkers. Both always willing to offer help, and easy to advance as long as you're consistently putting in effort.
Pros
Good strong team to work with
Excellent employee culture, frustrating upper management culture
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON4 April 2017
Typical day was fun and task-filled with steady customer interactions. I've learned interpersonal, operational, supervisory, and managerial skills, as well as patience and focus. Management were generally very encouraging and supportive but rarely responsive to feedback. Workplace culture is what you made of it but generally solid and fun. Hardest part of the job was balancing increasing operational task loads with high service expectations and strict deadlines/sales goals. The most enjoyable part of the job was the staff and customers and being surrounded by the products we know and love!
Pros
Staff discount, excellent co-workers, benefits and RRSP's for FT.
Cons
Reduced hours, increased operational task loads, high service expectations and sales attachment rates.
Music Retail
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON28 March 2017
Typical day at work:
- merchandise new inventory
- service customers
- advise customers on new artists and upcoming albums
- contact radio stations with Top Selling artists
Pros
Music! Dealing with customers
Cons
two 12 hour days a week was mandatory
Très bon employeur
Gérant des achats (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC28 March 2017
J'ai beaucoup appris chez hmv.
Je remercie les personnes avec qui j'ai travaillé durant toute ma carrière.
Fun company to work with
SENIOR TEAM LEADER ACCOUNTS PAYABLE AND INVENTORY (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON22 March 2017
HMV Canada Inc. is a great company to work with. Casual environment, family oriented, stress free and open door policy. Management and co workers are very supportive to each other.
Interesting and Unique Job
Keyholder Position/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 March 2017
A typical day at work consisted of socializing with many different types of people as well as recommending product to them. It was an excellent first job and really helped me to learn and better my skills working in retail. I've strengthened many virtues such as patience, tolerance, etc working through this company. My personal favourite part of this job was being able to recommend new music and movies to customers, as well as speak to them on an almost personal level about the different types of music and bands that we mutually enjoy. The hardest part of the job was when the company went into recievership. Working the last couple of days and cleaning out/emptying the store on the final days were difficult, as it really was an enjoyable job and was unfortunate to see the store close.
Pros
Excellent coworkers/managers, great environment
Cons
Company closing
ok
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC16 March 2017
Company now closed. It was ok to work there but they have since closed all of there stores as their products are outdated now. Sad reality of the internet age.
Entreprise de vente au détail axée sur la participation pro-active
Directeur de succursale (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 March 2017
Excellent milieu d'apprentissage et de formation à la vente au détail. Entreprise prenant soins de ses employés avec des avantages sociaux intéressants. Formation en continue.
Pros
Culture de vente pro-active, avantages sociaux, direction.
Cons
Horaire, pause, soirs et fins de semaine obligatoire
It was a fun environment to work in because of my interest in the field of music, but overall the staff and management weren't supportive at all.
Customer service and cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 February 2017
Working for this company, I expanded my knowledge a bit more working within the customer service field. I was able to practice and get better at everyday tasks like working cash and greeting customers, as well as maintaining the stores appearance. The staff and management didn't really communicate with me throughout the days I worked and when they did it was only to assign me to a task. I felt a little out of place working for this establishment but it was seasonal and I wasn't left on the job after the holiday season so I guess it was for the better.
A fun environment to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Laurent, ON24 February 2017
A bygone era. The last of the legends. It was a multitasking, extreme customer service environment. Focus was on the clientele, and in between helping there would be a vast amount of tasking to do. Never a dull moment, whether it be inventory counts or prep, to marketing and displays - there was always something to do.
Pros
positive/happy place to work
Cons
lack of raises
Fun customer service job
Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC23 February 2017
A typical day was serving customers on the floor and at the cash, receiving and merchandizing products, and any other task during the day.
Pros
Working with music
Cons
Balancing tasks and customer service
Typical Day at Work
Cashier/Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Sault-Sainte-Marie, ON22 February 2017
Duties and responsibilities included transporting patients to and from their appointments within Sault Area Hospital, sanitizing wheelchairs, directing patients and visitors to their designated locations within the hospital and providing phone calls for patients in the front lobby. I was responsible for reporting any hazards and operational issues with the equipment to management. When required, I would socially interact with patients while they waited.
Employees in departments such as ambulatory care, diagnostic imaging would call volunteer services in the mornings to request me specifically to volunteer for them for most of the day. I would transport patients from the waiting rooms to the specific departments. I also completed any additional duties as set by my supervisor whether it was filing papers or other office like chores when needed.
Pros
half hour lunch
Cons
Many examples.
Fun place to work with great staff and customers
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON21 February 2017
It was a fun place, with good straff, customers were friendly all around, and was great working with things im passionate about
Pros
20% off products
Cons
minimum pay, raises not given normally

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HMV. Our community is ready to answer.