HMV Canada

HMV Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Glad to leave!
Key Holder/AM (Former Employee), southern ontarioJuly 11, 2014
Pros: awesome staff
Cons: low pay, no advancement, took away staff discounts & sales bonuses, low hours, no support from management, no training offered, inventory system hasn't been updated since 1980, etc...
Typical retail job, low pay, no help from managers, unreasonable customers ("What do you mean you don't still sell VHS?!") and the added problem of pushing a dying medium on people. Only job for cashiers there now is to sign you up for a points card so they can sell your e-mail address when they eventually go out of business. Good luck HMV, you're gonna – more... need it! – less
Not a bad job, not great hours.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONApril 4, 2014
Management does not like to give you a lot of hours, but overall it was a pretty fun job.
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Market Mall, CalgaryOctober 15, 2013
Pros: fun job, good work environment, discount on product
Cons: part-timers have no benefits
I worked as a part-timer but needed as many hours as I could get. My manager was really trying to make everyone happy, however I missed a good management-staff communication.
Co-wokers and the whole environment was enjoyable.
Job to hold during school.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 13, 2013
Pros: customers and regulars being incharge of the whole bar.
Cons: long hours, not enough pay for responsibilities
Typical day at work - Opening bar & closing bar, weighing bottles, counting bottles, cleaning glasses, cleaning floors, cleaning windows, prepping a night, cleaning bathrooms, bar manager, worked 7 days a week, runs to LCBO & Beer store to stock up on products, trained new staff.
Learned to manage bar area, open and close a bar.
hardest part was working – more... every day and making less then what should have been minimum wage, not making tips due to the location of the bar and there being six other bars around the area, not working with anyone, some nights being alone the hole shift, the owner never being around.
most enjoyable parts were the customers and regulars that came in all the time. – less
Always fun
Keyholder (Former Employee), Ottawa East, ONMarch 23, 2013
I loved working at HMV. Everyone was easy going and awesome to work with. It was also easy to talk to everyone who worked/works there. A part of me will always miss it.
Changing Media retialer with heart to spare
Senior Manager (Former Employee), etobicokeFebruary 25, 2013
Pros: team, leaders
- fantastic management team
- family atmosphere with professional team
- expanding who they are and what they mean to Canadians
- best specialty store for movies, music and pop culture items
- best loyalty program in entertainment
A truly fun rock and roll job.
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 31, 2013
Pros: staff, environment, hanging out with rockstars
Cons: other than canada having extremely cold winters. but that's not really a con of the job itself.
As operations manager to the flagship store of the biggest music retailer in western Canada, this job was a dream come true. I oversaw all of the shipping/receiving, buying and inventory control in is two story juggernaut located as an anchor to the worlds largest indoor shopping center, West Edmonton Mall. My staff were always fun and energetic, and – more... I believe the support and leadership I provided them with helped them complete their tasks in a timely manner with a very small margin of error. Besides my staff, the best part would have to be my weekly meetings with the record company reps and partnering with the floor staff and supervisors to get buzz going on new releases and predicting what would be a big seller. I truly loved this job, and only left because I had a once in a lifetime opportunity that moved me from northern Alberta, Canada to Los Angeles. – less
A really fun place to work!
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 31, 2012
If movies, music and media are your thing, working at HMV is just the right fit. Management and staff are easy to get along with and being unique and creative is encourraged.
Fast paced work with emphasis on friendly customer service
Sales Associate (Current Employee), St. Catharines, ONOctober 12, 2012
Pros: flexible schedules
Cons: not enough work hours
A typical work day would involve me acquiring a float box for my till, doing a quick count to make sure I had appropriate change and asking about my daily duties after I exited the staff room to arrive on the show floor. This would include what our recent promotions were, who was assigned to what task (Inventory, Customer calls, cash, etc.) and who – more... was scheduled as Supervisor for any assistance that may be required. Co-operation was always important while working both with co-workers and customers in order to satisfy their individual concerns. Hardest part of the job would be taking on too many co-workers or tasks during the peak season though I thoroughly enjoyed the interaction with people and tackling their questions in regards to the products carried in store and product knowledge for help in making future purchases. – less
Fast paced environment, enjoyable staff to lead, very hands on with customer service.
Assistant Manager HMV Canada (Current Employee), Guelph, ONAugust 1, 2012
Pros: leading the team; staff training & development
Cons: no comment
Typical day involves: Essential job functions: Sales assistance, Sales processing, continual development of product knowledge. Store operation: Marketing displays, ensure best practice stocking standards are followed, ensure store targets and goals are understood, followed, achieved. Safety and security: participate in safeguarding staff, shoppers and – more... product by providing proactive sales assistance. complying with established security practice etc. General operations/Administrative: task coordination, daily paperwork, other duties which may include: assigned specific responsibilities for returns, set ups, purchasing, administration, receiving and shipping, instruction of junior staff, housekeeping.

Most enjoyable part of job is dealing with customers, ensuring each individual receives the highest standard of customer care. Very rewarding to make someones day better. Hardest part of job is keeping all staff focused on tasks at hand as well providing excellent customer service. – less