HMSHost Employee Reviews

HMS Host/Tim Hortons
Tim Hortons (Former Employee) –  Tilbury, ON1 September 2016
I loved working for HMS Host. I was a Tim Hortons employee and I worked there for almost 4 years. It taught me a lot about cash handling, food handling and customer service. The co-workers for the most part were awesome to work with. The hardest part of the job was when you had a difficult customer. The most enjoyable part was when the shift went smoothly and everyone got their jobs done while still having fun.
Pros
close to home
Cons
difficult customers
not flexible at all
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 August 2016
no part time hours
not flexible
stress full
non team environment
no one ever is in a good mood
language barriers (people speak in different languages in front of you including managers making one feel unwelcome )
Management sucks
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 August 2016
I worked for HMS for over 5 months, my co workers were great but some general managers don't know how to treat employees.Once a general manager humiliated me when it was rush hour because he wants me to sweep the floor when it's rush hour. Also they get rid of part timers and only hiring full timers. Schedule sucks as well.
Pros
50% off discount of food
Cons
No flexible hours
Awful Experience All Around
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON26 July 2016
I was constantly working alone at a store with two different cashes (Yogen Fruz/Cinnabon) even on the busy days where there were lines out the door. I could only use one cash for Cinnabon and the other for Yogen Fruz so if customers wanted products from both I had to do two separate orders, which of course took more time. I kept asking for help on the busiest day (only one day a week) and in three months I got no help. I constantly went in for overtime and almost every time I was called in and I was still treated poorly, like everyone else.

The management was awful, to the point where two of the managers that were there when I was working, have now been fired. I was even chastised for switching shifts with a coworker when I had already worked 8 days in a row and was sick (with a fever and cough). I was then fired a few days later for calling in sick for the first time with no warnings or write ups.

The only benefit from this job was the work experience for my resume and the friends I made while I was working.
Pros
Good coworkers, easy to get job
Cons
long hours, bad management, low pay, lots of overtime, bad work environment
very hard work for the pay
Porter/custodian/cleaner (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON8 July 2016
I would say that if the management was not so wide spread like how's the saying TO MANY CHIEFS NOT ENOUGH WORKERS MANAGEMENT IS TO YOUNG AND DON'T COMMUNICATE WITH EACH OTHER SO THE WORKERS CAN'T GET ANY ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS strange odd place fast paced and of course there are lazy people that work the same job and because it's not really supervised they don't work much there are a select few who do there job perfectly but others don't and that brings moral down. Pay is very poor for the amount of work required. It's very busy at times so when people that don't help much ruins it for the people that do and puts the work behind eg Bathrooms and garbage.If you decide to work just go with the flow shut mouth and you ok but if you complain about others that don't do there job watch your back They will make an excuse to rid you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pros
some good people to work with that's it nothing else
Cons
very poor management, to young and inexperienced terrible, nobody know's what the other managers are doing, and watch who you talk to, they stab you and rat on you, poor very sad situation need to clean house, nd get people who know how to handle a operation of this size.
Good benefits bad wage
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 June 2016
Hard to work here with the culture and attitude most people have tons of advancement just hard to keep working here with so many different people. Hours are good and balanced benefits help alot
I fun workplace with basketball court
Cook/Prep (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 June 2016
Don't forget the uniform everyday, then before start wash your hand first, and always check your station if they need to fill up, before getting rush. i have learn a lot, how you work with the other people, and always check the label, you need to follow the management what ever they want the standard. if you are good person to your co-workers i believe there a good person to you to... the hardest thing of my job is the customers complain. i enjoy if we are very busy, because time is pass.
Great team members, awful management, few hours
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Tilbury, ON6 June 2016
I worked in the Market at HMS Host, and there were four people employed in this department. Two of the people received almost full time hours, and the other two people were lucky to hit 12 hours. The management was incredibly unprofessional, and swore at some staff when there were recommendations about working behaviour. Schedules were made incredibly far in advance most times, and if there was a conflict that came up, it was the responsibility of the team member to find a replacement. This made scheduling some things like dates easy, but other functions or trips hard to attend. They were usually able to accommodate requests for days off.
Pros
Discount on some food
Cons
Poor management, few hours
good for growing your experience and learning procedures
Manager at Palominos (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC31 May 2016
overall a decent place to work. Hms will teach you a lot about unionized environments. My management team is pretty good, but not all come from a hospitality job, so it can be challenging. hardest part of my job is remembering all the legalities, paper work and procedure that are set in place. as they are a little different to what i'm used to. most enjoyable part of my job is working in an airport. it is fast paced and most people are pretty happy considering they are traveling!
Pros
free food, paid vacation, benefits
Cons
not a family orientated environment
Not really good
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 May 2016
i learned so many things in this job management was ok not very well that did not understand about situations co- workers very nice.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 May 2016
During my six years of working there, I learned many things. The setting there felt like a family. The weekends were the best.
Pros
Meals
Cons
Excellent experience to take to my next job.
Food and Beverage Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC2 May 2016
Lots of training through the HR department. Lots or rules and regulations in place so you know what's expected from you. Daily routines in place. Labour relations training.
Pros
Free food, flexible when booking time off. Possible advancement if you relocate.
Cons
Long hours, no advancment
no pay
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 April 2016
I work there almost 2 month, still not pay me yet. so cheap this company. always short staff. not really follow timhorton standard. manchine not clear everyday. so dirty.
Terrible, illegal and stupid
Tims Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON10 April 2016
I worked for HMS host in south Cambridge, and i burned my whole right hand with a steeped tea kettle suffering permanent nerve damage and they swept it under the rug and fired me and ruled it as not following proper safety guidelines
Pros
Cons
Favourtisim, Greed, Lack of awareness, Union is garbage
Assistant F&B Manager
Assistant F&B Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON2 April 2016
Stores in charge: Starbucks, Thai Express, Extream Pita
Supervising the day-to-day activities of all non-management associates.
Assigning work responsibilities, prepares schedules, and ensures that all shifts are covered.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario17 March 2016
I enjoyed the employee's,I learned a lot of skills that I can now transfer to other employment. Didn't feel I could have a life outside of work.
Pros
staff
Friendly coworkers
Food Preparer/Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 March 2016
Working for HMS host was and is a fun experience. I love to cook and clean and have fun at work with other co-workers.

However, the salary and time managment for schedules is not working. We went from having 40 hrs/week to 25hrs/week at most. This is not working for me as i have bills to pay for and i'm trying to save up for education towards my dream career.
Pros
friendly co workers
Cons
not enough hours, salary
HMSHost Schiphol airport
Waiter, cashier. (Former Employee) –  Amsterdam Airport Schiphol10 March 2016
Perfect job/study combination with supporting managers and fellow employees. Managers gave me many opportunities to develop my leadership and managing skills. The co-workers were very helpful, always working as a team. The flexible working hours made it easy for me to follow all my university lectures.
Pros
Colleges and managers
Cons
paid lunches
cook
Buger king cook (Former Employee) –  Ingleside, ON8 March 2016
it cooked burgers and other food and served people there food handled cash balanced tills closed the store. management not the greatest to work with
Co workers were great to work with
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Innisfil, ON31 January 2016
I think that if the HMS I worked at would get new management I would have stayed longer but due to bad management I wouldnt stay
Cons
management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HMSHost. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9