HMSHost Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun and productive work place
As a cook (Former Employee) –  Pearson International Airport Toronto (Ontario)January 20, 2013
I was enjoying my job a lot while working.The workers and the employers are very happy with my work. I missed them a lot.
Pros
free lunches
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, OntMay 13, 2013
At typical day at HMS Host will start off slow and end up being busy by the end of my shift. HMS is located in Lester B. Pearson Airport, my duties all depends on the day and passenger traffic. I enter all sales data in the computer in a timely manner. I make sure that all the orders entered from the night before have arrived and make sure that all items are properly sent up, if any items are missing I call the warehouse manager right away to have it sent up.
I have some really hardworking employees who go out of their way to make the customers feel at home. I make sure that all the employees are treated with respect.
The hardest part of the job is not having enough staff hired, when we have sick calls the manager would have to step in when no one else is available. That means managers become either cooks, cashiers, bartenders, etc.
The enjoyable part of the job is knowing that the day is running smoothly from the moment I step through the door.
Cons
very early & late hours, no proper lunch times, no time with family, have to book off special dates months in advance.
very busy -many decisions on the spot need to be made.Dealing with employees,customers,company and airport management.A great deal to handle daily.
Food and Beverage Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Pierre Elliott-Tredeau AirportDecember 2, 2012
Normally I start at 7am.I do a tour of the 26 outlets we have in the airport make sure they are staffed and properly filled with products.Than I check on the managers running the floor.We will do a tour together they inform me of anything that happened or needs done. Around 10 am depending when I get off the floor I check sales,labor all numbers pertaining to the previous day.Go over the numbers with the controller and Senior Director and see where we stand and the objectives.We go over projects that are in process or up coming.I also deal with employees from complaints to handeling disciplinary actions.I have built a good communication with the union so normally they will contact me.I am back on the floor at lunch time.And than last walk through at supper.My day normally ends around 7 to 8 pm.I am incharge of all managers.Last survey done on management by the employees I was rated tough but fair and I do take the time to listen to them. Hardest part of the job keeping staff company and the airport all happy at the same time!!
Pros
we have insurance, meals paid, parking paid and rrsp.
Cons
4am shifts
Working Atmosphere is good.
CR CLERK (Current Employee) –  Calgary AirportDecember 10, 2014
The HMS Host is a great company with good management. The working atmosphere is good. I have learnt a lot with HMS Host.
A very good company to work for
Cash room clerk (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC YULAugust 17, 2013
I usually work 8 hours per day. I sit or stand depending on how i feel. No pressure from anybody as far as my job is done

I learned how to be professional and deal with people professionally

I have very good co-workers and try to get along with everybody by being very diplomatic

The hardest part of my job is balancing the audit since no mistakes are allowed but

The whole job and work environment is very fun
Pros
free launch
Cons
machines break down at times
worst management
Multi-store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 29, 2014
not a a good management at all. Asking to do much more then assigned duties. And paid less according to the work done.
Pros
get to know new people all the time.
Cons
employees not kept happy.
overall has fun and lost of energy.
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Toronto International AirportSeptember 19, 2012
this job was on Torontoi International airport. every terminal has own type of work but most was the same.just close-up had different,

Learned with experience thgrough difficulty satuation.

Most manaement with no experiences.

Most co-worker was perry good.

Hardest work was to entery to deporture area with scan securty, if could'n took many hours to let you enter.

work has lots enjoyable time with different passangers on every moment.
Horrible
At HMS Host I (Former Employee) –  Halifax International AirportOctober 22, 2014
By far, the worst place I have ever worked, management was impossible and policy and procedure was non existent.
Cons
many
friendly enviroment
General Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 30, 2013
I learned a lots of skills and experience through my role being a general accounting clerk. Management was very friendly and co-workers helped me in different ways to succeed my responsibilities. I really enjoyed my work.
Pros
free lunches
Fast Paced, Fun Career
Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 8, 2013
Training from HMS Host for the Barista position is slow & allows you to get familiar with the process of making espresso beverages while also helping customers
Pros
$15 max lunch covered, international travellers tip big
Cons
management not open to new ideas
Associates were fun to work with.
General Accountant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 26, 2013
Finance department moved to US. It was a good place to work

Sorry to leave associates.

Management was good.
Pros
fun place
Cons
finance department closed
Loved my job!
Market Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Hope, ONNovember 4, 2013
At the Market I absolutely loved my job! The people I worked with became like another family to me and my boss was very flexible and understanding with my hours. The only down side to my job was that I wasn't making as much as I needed to support a family.
Pros
great people and boss
Cons
not enough hours
Very conformable environment with coworkers
cook (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 10, 2014
Great customer service experience meet new people everyday.
fun workplace
Barista (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 29, 2014
I really like working at HMS HOST Starbucks because its a really fun place to work at. There is 6 starbucks at the YYC airport so I get to work in all of them which is so entertaining, that way I can gain more customer service skills and meet new people.
Pros
free lunch
expected to do more
Multi-store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 19, 2014
Short staff all the time. and expected to do more then job description.
It is always fun to meet new customer everyday.
Barista (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  airportJune 13, 2014
I learn many things from this company.
Like brewing coffee or how to make coffee and etc.
Always fun to work with co-workers
review
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 11, 2014
working in the Ottawa airport is fun.
you may choose to work in different stores in the airport.
Dust hazardous, neglected, forgotten about hours after my shift
Cashier (Former Employee) –  DorvalMarch 22, 2014
I was very excited to be working at the airport.
But my first day I went home crying. The managers were incredibly rude, they did not have any kind of good feelings about anyone, everyone was considered a threat. I was told I was going to be selling sandwiches and drinks for a fancy restaurant ( outside of it ) and they put me in this corner, selling 23$ sandwiches, 2 week old moldy cheese platters, and I got hospitalized for the amount of dust I was inhaling. Yes, I was dusting constantly during the day ( with paper towels, no duster was given), but the air was so bad that there was no catching up with it. I started having blood coming out of my ears, couldn't breathe and I told the management, nobody really bothered doing anything or looking into it. I worked there four months, made maybe 8$ a day at my booth and had no chair for my 8 hours ( sometimes 9 or 10, depending on when they decided to check me out to go home, I've been forgotten about several times ). I had customers complain to management to at least get me a chair but there was no chance of it. I was supposed to start with minimum wage but they messed up and somehow started me off at 8$ ( like the waitresses inside that made 200$ in tips everyday) and it took a few weeks for them to fix that. I also have been harassed and been called several things from customers for selling very old, WAY overpriced 3 slices of cheese and I really hated it. I would love to work at the airport again, but I will stay away from HMS. Please submit with caution, it truly was a horrible job with horrible management. Take advantage of
  more... being unionized.. I didn't.
This was a few years ago, maybe theres a chance things have changed, I very much hope so!
Pros
some very nice co-workers
This company is Great.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  calgary AbMarch 14, 2014
Working in this company is really Great everyone is treated fairly they are strongly promoting the People first Environment.
fun work place
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ONJuly 16, 2014
serving customers
worked well with my co-workers
enjoyed seeing satisfied customers