HMSHost Employee Reviews

Not for everyone.
2nd Cook (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 November 2014
This job is not the best in the world the management is all over the place. Equipment is way over due and needs updating and repairs. The people are great but when it come down to stress it can be high more often then low. The salary is great depending on your job which can actually be a great factor and the tips are awesome that is if you work for tips. The hardest part of this job would have been the process of getting a day off even when advanced notice has been given long before the day. Consistent reminders are required when it comes to almost anything to do with any restaurant. But if your looking for a job that pays out a lot with a lot of hours but only need it for a short time go for it but YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! Also no eating for free unless the mangers say yes, but there it discounts at a lot of polices on food.
Pros
hours and salary is great
Cons
Management sucks
Tim Hortons
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Various19 September 2013
I've worked many of these restaurants. Management is horrible . Pay is always low, at one place I had a store owner laugh at my face for asking for a raise on my third year. Favorites, short breaks, no respect and confrontation instead of constructed criticizes. If you are a glutton for punishment. You will work here.
Pros
Some places pay for lunch break
Cons
No raises, no respect, talking down, bad mgmt.
Poor management, rude, arrogrant,
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 January 2014
Have to work on holidays, bad Management, Manager's has poor management skills. Employee's not paid properly, Management behaves rudely, nothing much to learn from the job, flexible schedule, good co-workers. Good to start , but not a good place for long term career.
Pros
free food, flexible hours
Cons
management rude, arrogant, does always doubtful, job culture bad
Worst company to work for in the GTA North
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  GTA9 April 2015
Worst company to work for. They don't care about the employees. They choose favouritism over employees that do their job properly. Employees get treated unfairly. Management does a very poor job at running the locations. They do not care about politicies and procedures
Not worth the stress
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Hope21 October 2014
No follow through from management on rules, a lot of stuff are never fully trained, little to no chance of getting a raise or a promotion. You are replaceable. Extremely stressful and fast paced at time. If someone calls in they do not fill the shift just to save money.
Pros
Met some good friends
Cons
No raises, no promotions, no follow through
Great work experience
Expédition / Réception (Current Employee) –  Pierre Elliot Trudeau Airport16 September 2013
My Day starts at 2:30 am. I receive all the trucks as well I get all the employees of the department in an organized fashion. We unload the trucks. Enter the stock to there locations. We then receive the orders of each restaurant( Items needed for the busy day) and delivery to each restaurant of the airport. You can say that it is always a busy schedule. Once the stock has been delivered. I then proceed with entering the order forms into the database of the company computer. I make sure that each employee get there lunch /break. Once the day is complete only then do I go home. This is usually at about 2pm. I have a great time with my colleagues. Yet they say that I work to hard. But it all comes down to You do what you got to do.

The hardest part of my job in all honesty, Is the hours.

The most enjoyable is having the opportunity to work well with my colleagues
Pros
my colleagues
coustmer service
coustmer service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 October 2014
i worked at edmonton international airport ........... at work experienced in taking food order , operating cash registers and safely handling food while checking for proper temprature ... management is so good ... friendly enviorment at work . co workers are friendly and helpful with me while work .
Pros
free lunch
Loved my job!
Market Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Hope, ON4 November 2013
At the Market I absolutely loved my job! The people I worked with became like another family to me and my boss was very flexible and understanding with my hours. The only down side to my job was that I wasn't making as much as I needed to support a family.
Pros
Great people and boss
Cons
not enough hours
Busy place to work
Supervisor - Mr. Sub, Tim Horton's, Wendy's (Current Employee) –  Newcastle, Ontairo12 September 2012
The Travel Centre is a very busy place to work and offers a wide variety of situations for all employees from management to crew.
The day includes preparing product for the day and then serving customers quickly and efficiently.
I am required to multi-task to the max. as a supervisor as staffing levels are kept to a minimum. I am required to complete orders for product, receive the orders, take inventory, organize the crew as to what position they will work. I am also responsible for the training of new crew, monitoring the product crew puts out, supervising all aspects of the day; including the cleaning of the place and equipment at close.
I am responsible for entering information into the computer, inventory, waste control, orders.
The hardest part of the job is finding time to do all that is required of me. The best part of my job is the crew. The students I work with are the best and I look forward to working with them every day.
HMS HOST INT. (YUL)
Stock Keeper (Former Employee) –  Dorval, QC17 July 2015
Commissary. Lots of lifting thats about it. pretty unorganized and they work use their seniority for just about any excuse.
Pros
% off most food places.
Cons
can only have % off during lunch.
management are too young
cleaner (Former Employee) –  kingston ont canada2 December 2013
i was a cleaner here from aug/13 to nov/13.never got my probation over.i am a 56 year old woman who loved this job so much.i met alot of nice customers who always came back.i was told right from the start not to mingle with anybody from the brands because i will get caught up in all the drama.well i did not listen.i had fun with anyone i talked too.i got let go a few days before my probation.3 weeks later i find out it was because i apparently made sexual comments to other employees.well i should have listened the first time.i did no such thing to anyone there.99% of the employees are teens to in their early thirties.thats the age of my kids.dont think so.it takes something i said to some young kid to manifest it into something huge.management and staff are all around the same age.so whats that tell you.all their brains think alike.no matureity yet.
Pros
meeting interesting people from different countrys
Cons
terrible management, to many chiefs and not enough indians
I work as a cashroom clerk
Cashroom Clerk (Current Employee) –  Dorval, QC30 June 2015
count money, refill cash bags
how to balance the day, how to order money from the bank
hardest part of the job is having to work in a smaller space
Pros
Free meals
friendly enviroment
General Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 March 2013
I learned a lots of skills and experience through my role being a general accounting clerk. Management was very friendly and co-workers helped me in different ways to succeed my responsibilities. I really enjoyed my work.
Pros
free lunches
Fast Paced, Fun Career
Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 October 2013
Training from HMS Host for the Barista position is slow & allows you to get familiar with the process of making espresso beverages while also helping customers
Pros
$15 max lunch covered, International Travellers Tip Big
Cons
Management not open to new Ideas
fun workplace
Barista (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 January 2014
I really like working at HMS HOST Starbucks because its a really fun place to work at. There is 6 starbucks at the YYC airport so I get to work in all of them which is so entertaining, that way I can gain more customer service skills and meet new people.
Pros
free lunch
Terrible Management
Tim Hortons (Former Employee) –  Port Hope, ON27 April 2015
Throughout working at HMS in Port Hope, I've dealt with a lack of management. They had a lack of experience and care for the workplace.
Pros
Okay hours
Cons
Terrible Management
fun workplace
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  toronto, on14 April 2015
productive work experience
enjoyed customer interaction
flexible shifts
less hours
lack of team work from co-workers
Pros
employee discounts
Cons
less hours
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, Ont13 May 2013
At typical day at HMS Host will start off slow and end up being busy by the end of my shift. HMS is located in Lester B. Pearson Airport, my duties all depends on the day and passenger traffic. I enter all sales data in the computer in a timely manner. I make sure that all the orders entered from the night before have arrived and make sure that all items are properly sent up, if any items are missing I call the warehouse manager right away to have it sent up.
I have some really hardworking employees who go out of their way to make the customers feel at home. I make sure that all the employees are treated with respect.
The hardest part of the job is not having enough staff hired, when we have sick calls the manager would have to step in when no one else is available. That means managers become either cooks, cashiers, bartenders, etc.
The enjoyable part of the job is knowing that the day is running smoothly from the moment I step through the door.
Cons
Very early & late hours, no proper lunch times, no time with family, have to book off special dates months in advance.
worst management
Multi-store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 August 2014
not a a good management at all. Asking to do much more then assigned duties. And paid less according to the work done.
Pros
get to know new people all the time.
Cons
employees not kept happy.
Productive and fun place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary International Airport, Calgary20 April 2015
I quickly learned how to adapt in a results-driven environment. Every single employee is willing to help and extend their expertise.

2.9