HMSHost Employee Reviews in Canada

Dust hazardous, neglected, forgotten about hours after my shift
Cashier (Former Employee) –  DorvalMarch 22, 2014
I was very excited to be working at the airport.
But my first day I went home crying. The managers were incredibly rude, they did not have any kind of good feelings about anyone, everyone was considered a threat. I was told I was going to be selling sandwiches and drinks for a fancy restaurant ( outside of it ) and they put me in this corner, selling 23$ sandwiches, 2 week old moldy cheese platters, and I got hospitalized for the amount of dust I was inhaling. Yes, I was dusting constantly during the day ( with paper towels, no duster was given), but the air was so bad that there was no catching up with it. I started having blood coming out of my ears, couldn't breathe and I told the management, nobody really bothered doing anything or looking into it. I worked there four months, made maybe 8$ a day at my booth and had no chair for my 8 hours ( sometimes 9 or 10, depending on when they decided to check me out to go home, I've been forgotten about several times ). I had customers complain to management to at least get me a chair but there was no chance of it. I was supposed to start with minimum wage but they messed up and somehow started me off at 8$ ( like the waitresses inside that made 200$ in tips everyday) and it took a few weeks for them to fix that. I also have been harassed and been called several things from customers for selling very old, WAY overpriced 3 slices of cheese and I really hated it. I would love to work at the airport again, but I will stay away from HMS. Please submit with caution, it truly was a horrible job with horrible management. Take advantage of
  more... being unionized.. I didn't.
This was a few years ago, maybe theres a chance things have changed, I very much hope so!
Pros
some very nice co-workers
This company is Great.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  calgary AbMarch 14, 2014
Working in this company is really Great everyone is treated fairly they are strongly promoting the People first Environment.
fun workplace
Barista (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 29, 2014
I really like working at HMS HOST Starbucks because its a really fun place to work at. There is 6 starbucks at the YYC airport so I get to work in all of them which is so entertaining, that way I can gain more customer service skills and meet new people.
Pros
free lunch
Poor management, rude, arrogrant,
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 28, 2014
Have to work on holidays, bad Management, Manager's has poor management skills. Employee's not paid properly, Management behaves rudely, nothing much to learn from the job, flexible schedule, good co-workers. Good to start , but not a good place for long term career.
Pros
free food, flexible hours
Cons
management rude, arrogant, does always doubtful, job culture bad
management are too young
cleaner (Former Employee) –  kingston ont canadaDecember 2, 2013
i was a cleaner here from aug/13 to nov/13.never got my probation over.i am a 56 year old woman who loved this job so much.i met alot of nice customers who always came back.i was told right from the start not to mingle with anybody from the brands because i will get caught up in all the drama.well i did not listen.i had fun with anyone i talked too.i got let go a few days before my probation.3 weeks later i find out it was because i apparently made sexual comments to other employees.well i should have listened the first time.i did no such thing to anyone there.99% of the employees are teens to in their early thirties.thats the age of my kids.dont think so.it takes something i said to some young kid to manifest it into something huge.management and staff are all around the same age.so whats that tell you.all their brains think alike.no matureity yet.
Pros
meeting interesting people from different countrys
Cons
terrible management, to many chiefs and not enough indians
Loved my job!
Market Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Hope, ONNovember 4, 2013
At the Market I absolutely loved my job! The people I worked with became like another family to me and my boss was very flexible and understanding with my hours. The only down side to my job was that I wasn't making as much as I needed to support a family.
Pros
great people and boss
Cons
not enough hours
Team oriented workplace with superior management !
Associate Leader (Current Employee) –  Ingleside, ONNovember 4, 2013
I have worked at HMS Host for a little over two years and in that time I have learned many new skills. Everyone there is a team player, all hard working individuals. Management are always willing and ready to step in and give a helping hand and helpful tips as well.
The most difficult part of my job is balancing time between the store and office. Due to staff shortages , sometimes it is not possible to get office time.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with such a great team of people and meeting a diverse group of customers from all parts of the world.
Pros
benefits, free lunches, team players
Cons
short staffed, off seasons
Fast Paced, Fun Career
Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 8, 2013
Training from HMS Host for the Barista position is slow & allows you to get familiar with the process of making espresso beverages while also helping customers
Pros
$15 max lunch covered, international travellers tip big
Cons
management not open to new ideas
Tim Hortons
Hostess (Former Employee) –  VariousSeptember 19, 2013
I've worked many of these restaurants. Management is horrible . Pay is always low, at one place I had a store owner laugh at my face for asking for a raise on my third year. Favorites, short breaks, no respect and confrontation instead of constructed criticizes. If you are a glutton for punishment. You will work here.
Pros
some places pay for lunch break
Cons
no raises, no respect, talking down, bad mgmt.
Great work experience
Expédition / Réception (Current Employee) –  Pierre Elliot Trudeau AirportSeptember 16, 2013
My Day starts at 2:30 am. I receive all the trucks as well I get all the employees of the department in an organized fashion. We unload the trucks. Enter the stock to there locations. We then receive the orders of each restaurant( Items needed for the busy day) and delivery to each restaurant of the airport. You can say that it is always a busy schedule. Once the stock has been delivered. I then proceed with entering the order forms into the database of the company computer. I make sure that each employee get there lunch /break. Once the day is complete only then do I go home. This is usually at about 2pm. I have a great time with my colleagues. Yet they say that I work to hard. But it all comes down to You do what you got to do.

The hardest part of my job in all honesty, Is the hours.

The most enjoyable is having the opportunity to work well with my colleagues
Pros
my colleagues
Cons
fun and productive place to work
Assistant Food and Beverage Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 6, 2013
manage, and supervising the day to day operation of multi restaurant units at Pearson Intl airport. Invole in cost control, such us inventory, payroll, ordering of stocks, and staff scheduling. Being assign at hte Airport is a fun place to work at, be able to meet a lot of people ie traveller and employees at the airport vry large community and fast pace environment.Learned a lot how to work under a lot of time pressure from travellers, but enjoying part is when i am able to handle the pressure very well, by giving and providing them the best experience while waiting for their flight thru quality and friendly service.
A very good company to work for
Cash room clerk (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC YULAugust 17, 2013
I usually work 8 hours per day. I sit or stand depending on how i feel. No pressure from anybody as far as my job is done

I learned how to be professional and deal with people professionally

I have very good co-workers and try to get along with everybody by being very diplomatic

The hardest part of my job is balancing the audit since no mistakes are allowed but

The whole job and work environment is very fun
Pros
free launch
Cons
machines break down at times
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, OntMay 13, 2013
At typical day at HMS Host will start off slow and end up being busy by the end of my shift. HMS is located in Lester B. Pearson Airport, my duties all depends on the day and passenger traffic. I enter all sales data in the computer in a timely manner. I make sure that all the orders entered from the night before have arrived and make sure that all items are properly sent up, if any items are missing I call the warehouse manager right away to have it sent up.
I have some really hardworking employees who go out of their way to make the customers feel at home. I make sure that all the employees are treated with respect.
The hardest part of the job is not having enough staff hired, when we have sick calls the manager would have to step in when no one else is available. That means managers become either cooks, cashiers, bartenders, etc.
The enjoyable part of the job is knowing that the day is running smoothly from the moment I step through the door.
Cons
very early & late hours, no proper lunch times, no time with family, have to book off special dates months in advance.
Interesting job, able to meet so many people
Customer Relations Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton International AirportApril 3, 2013
Meet and greet guests, make them comfortable. Nice place to work, with very nice colleagues.
Pros
free food
friendly enviroment
General Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 30, 2013
I learned a lots of skills and experience through my role being a general accounting clerk. Management was very friendly and co-workers helped me in different ways to succeed my responsibilities. I really enjoyed my work.
Pros
free lunches
Associates were fun to work with.
General Accountant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 26, 2013
Finance department moved to US. It was a good place to work

Sorry to leave associates.

Management was good.
Pros
fun place
Cons
finance department closed
Work with with customer is fun
Cashier (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Maple, ONFebruary 24, 2013
I learned how to handling money. How to manage the customer and Team work.I enjoyable part is customer.
unproductive, bad working environment
cashier (Current Employee) –  dorvalJanuary 31, 2013
I have worked for this company and i am very dissatisfied with poor mangement, careless supervisors and managers with bad attitudes. i am very frustrated with having to deal with co-workers with bad customer service. Managers change my schedule without advising me first and ask me to do jobs that are not part of my duties.
Pros
insurance
Cons
short breaks, sometimes no breaks due to lack of staff, no advancement, little tips
Customer service
Cashier and Prep (Current Employee) –  Dorval, QCJanuary 21, 2013
I was able to experience a good customer service by working as a cashier.
Fun and productive work place
As a cook (Former Employee) –  Pearson International Airport Toronto (Ontario)January 20, 2013
I was enjoying my job a lot while working.The workers and the employers are very happy with my work. I missed them a lot.
Pros
free lunches