HMSHost Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
management are too young
cleaner (Former Employee), kingston ont canadaDecember 2, 2013
Pros: meeting interesting people from different countrys
Cons: terrible management, to many chiefs and not enough indians
i was a cleaner here from aug/13 to nov/13.never got my probation over.i am a 56 year old woman who loved this job so much.i met alot of nice customers who always came back.i was told right from the start not to mingle with anybody from the brands because i will get caught up in all the drama.well i did not listen.i had fun with anyone i talked too.i got let go a few days before my probation.3 weeks later i find out it was because i apparently made sexual comments to other employees.well i should have listened the first time.i did no such thing to anyone there.99% of the employees are teens to in their early thirties.thats the age of my kids.dont think so.it takes something i said to some young kid to manifest it into something huge.management and staff are all around the same age.so whats that tell you.all their brains think alike.no matureity yet.
Loved my job!
Market Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Port Hope, ONNovember 4, 2013
Pros: great people and boss
Cons: not enough hours
At the Market I absolutely loved my job! The people I worked with became like another family to me and my boss was very flexible and understanding with my hours. The only down side to my job was that I wasn't making as much as I needed to support a family.
Team oriented workplace with superior management !
Associate Leader (Current Employee), Ingleside, ONNovember 4, 2013
Pros: benefits, free lunches, team players
Cons: short staffed, off seasons
I have worked at HMS Host for a little over two years and in that time I have learned many new skills. Everyone there is a team player, all hard working individuals. Management are always willing and ready to step in and give a helping hand and helpful tips as well.
The most difficult part of my job is balancing time between the store and office. Due to staff shortages , sometimes it is not possible to get office time.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with such a great team of people and meeting a diverse group of customers from all parts of the world.
Fast Paced, Fun Career
Barista (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 8, 2013
Pros: $15 max lunch covered, international travellers tip big
Cons: management not open to new ideas
Training from HMS Host for the Barista position is slow & allows you to get familiar with the process of making espresso beverages while also helping customers
Tim Hortons
Hostess (Former Employee), VariousSeptember 19, 2013
Pros: some places pay for lunch break
Cons: no raises, no respect, talking down, bad mgmt.
I've worked many of these restaurants. Management is horrible . Pay is always low, at one place I had a store owner laugh at my face for asking for a raise on my third year. Favorites, short breaks, no respect and confrontation instead of constructed criticizes. If you are a glutton for punishment. You will work here.
Great work experience
Expédition / Réception (Current Employee), Pierre Elliot Trudeau AirportSeptember 16, 2013
Pros: my colleagues
Cons: long hours
My Day starts at 2:30 am. I receive all the trucks as well I get all the employees of the department in an organized fashion. We unload the trucks. Enter the stock to there locations. We then receive the orders of each restaurant( Items needed for the busy day) and delivery to each restaurant of the airport. You can say that it is always a busy schedule. Once the stock has been delivered. I then proceed with entering the order forms into the database of the company computer. I make sure that each employee get there lunch /break. Once the day is complete only then do I go home. This is usually at about 2pm. I have a great time with my colleagues. Yet they say that I work to hard. But it all comes down to You do what you got to do.

The hardest part of my job in all honesty, Is the hours.

The most enjoyable is having the opportunity to work well with my colleagues
fun and productive place to work
Assistant Food and Beverage Operations Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 6, 2013
manage, and supervising the day to day operation of multi restaurant units at Pearson Intl airport. Invole in cost control, such us inventory, payroll, ordering of stocks, and staff scheduling. Being assign at hte Airport is a fun place to work at, be able to meet a lot of people ie traveller and employees at the airport vry large community and fast pace environment.Learned a lot how to work under a lot of time pressure from travellers, but enjoying part is when i am able to handle the pressure very well, by giving and providing them the best experience while waiting for their flight thru quality and friendly service.
A very good company to work for
Cash room clerk (Current Employee), Montréal, QC YULAugust 17, 2013
Pros: free launch
Cons: machines break down at times
I usually work 8 hours per day. I sit or stand depending on how i feel. No pressure from anybody as far as my job is done

I learned how to be professional and deal with people professionally

I have very good co-workers and try to get along with everybody by being very diplomatic

The hardest part of my job is balancing the audit since no mistakes are allowed but

The whole job and work environment is very fun
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Mississauga, OntMay 13, 2013
Cons: very early & late hours, no proper lunch times, no time with family, have to book off special dates months in advance.
At typical day at HMS Host will start off slow and end up being busy by the end of my shift. HMS is located in Lester B. Pearson Airport, my duties all depends on the day and passenger traffic. I enter all sales data in the computer in a timely manner. I make sure that all the orders entered from the night before have arrived and make sure that all items are properly sent up, if any items are missing I call the warehouse manager right away to have it sent up.
I have some really hardworking employees who go out of their way to make the customers feel at home. I make sure that all the employees are treated with respect.
The hardest part of the job is not having enough staff hired, when we have sick calls the manager would have to step in when no one else is available. That means managers become either cooks, cashiers, bartenders, etc.
The enjoyable part of the job is knowing that the day is running smoothly from the moment I step through the door.
Interesting job, able to meet so many people
Customer Relations Associate (Current Employee), Edmonton International AirportApril 3, 2013
Pros: free food
Meet and greet guests, make them comfortable. Nice place to work, with very nice colleagues.
friendly enviroment
General Accounting Clerk (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 30, 2013
Pros: free lunches
I learned a lots of skills and experience through my role being a general accounting clerk. Management was very friendly and co-workers helped me in different ways to succeed my responsibilities. I really enjoyed my work.
Associates were fun to work with.
General Accountant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 26, 2013
Pros: fun place
Cons: finance department closed
Finance department moved to US. It was a good place to work

Sorry to leave associates.

Management was good.
Work with with customer is fun
Cashier (Part-Time) (Current Employee), Maple, ONFebruary 24, 2013
I learned how to handling money. How to manage the customer and Team work.I enjoyable part is customer.
unproductive, bad working environment
cashier (Current Employee), dorvalJanuary 31, 2013
Pros: insurance
Cons: short breaks, sometimes no breaks due to lack of staff, no advancement, little tips
I have worked for this company and i am very dissatisfied with poor mangement, careless supervisors and managers with bad attitudes. i am very frustrated with having to deal with co-workers with bad customer service. Managers change my schedule without advising me first and ask me to do jobs that are not part of my duties.
Customer service
Cashier and Prep (Current Employee), Dorval, QCJanuary 21, 2013
I was able to experience a good customer service by working as a cashier.
Fun and productive work place
As a cook (Former Employee), Pearson International Airport Toronto (Ontario)January 20, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long hours
I was enjoying my job a lot while working.The workers and the employers are very happy with my work. I missed them a lot.
very busy -many decisions on the spot need to be made.Dealing with employees,customers,company and airport management.A great deal to handle daily.
Food and Beverage Assistant Director (Current Employee), Pierre Elliott-Tredeau AirportDecember 2, 2012
Pros: we have insurance, meals paid, parking paid and rrsp.
Cons: 4am shifts
Normally I start at 7am.I do a tour of the 26 outlets we have in the airport make sure they are staffed and properly filled with products.Than I check on the managers running the floor.We will do a tour together they inform me of anything that happened or needs done. Around 10 am depending when I get off the floor I check sales,labor all numbers pertaining to the previous day.Go over the numbers with the controller and Senior Director and see where we stand and the objectives.We go over projects that are in process or up coming.I also deal with employees from complaints to handeling disciplinary actions.I have built a good communication with the union so normally they will contact me.I am back on the floor at lunch time.And than last walk through at supper.My day normally ends around 7 to 8 pm.I am incharge of all managers.Last survey done on management by the employees I was rated tough but fair and I do take the time to listen to them. Hardest part of the job keeping staff company and the airport all happy at the same time!!
overall has fun and lost of energy.
Bartender (Former Employee), Toronto International AirportSeptember 19, 2012
this job was on Torontoi International airport. every terminal has own type of work but most was the same.just close-up had different,

Learned with experience thgrough difficulty satuation.

Most manaement with no experiences.

Most co-worker was perry good.

Hardest work was to entery to deporture area with scan securty, if could'n took many hours to let you enter.

work has lots enjoyable time with different passangers on every moment.
Busy place to work
Supervisor - Mr. Sub, Tim Horton's, Wendy's (Current Employee), Newcastle, OntairoSeptember 12, 2012
The Travel Centre is a very busy place to work and offers a wide variety of situations for all employees from management to crew.
The day includes preparing product for the day and then serving customers quickly and efficiently.
I am required to multi-task to the max. as a supervisor as staffing levels are kept to a minimum. I am required to complete orders for product, receive the orders, take inventory, organize the crew as to what position they will work. I am also responsible for the training of new crew, monitoring the product crew puts out, supervising all aspects of the day; including the cleaning of the place and equipment at close.
I am responsible for entering information into the computer, inventory, waste control, orders.
The hardest part of the job is finding time to do all that is required of me. The best part of my job is the crew. The students I work with are the best and I look forward to working with them every day.
The benefits are good and there is a room for improvement for each associate.
Cashier/Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaApril 23, 2012
My review to this company is that the management team are great. The work schedules are crazy for those new hirees. There was less training time with the supervisors and they will just let their new recruit do their own job by their own.
The management are supportive though they need to pay more attention to trainees at the start of the training as they will not absorb everything in the first week.