HMSHost Employee Reviews

Not for everyone.
2nd Cook (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCNovember 20, 2014
This job is not the best in the world the management is all over the place. Equipment is way over due and needs updating and repairs. The people are great but when it come down to stress it can be high more often then low. The salary is great depending on your job which can actually be a great factor and the tips are awesome that is if you work for tips. The hardest part of this job would have been the process of getting a day off even when advanced notice has been given long before the day. Consistent reminders are required when it comes to almost anything to do with any restaurant. But if your looking for a job that pays out a lot with a lot of hours but only need it for a short time go for it but YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! Also no eating for free unless the mangers say yes, but there it discounts at a lot of polices on food.
Pros
hours and salary is great
Cons
management sucks
Team oriented workplace with superior management !
Associate Leader (Current Employee) –  Ingleside, ONNovember 4, 2013
I have worked at HMS Host for a little over two years and in that time I have learned many new skills. Everyone there is a team player, all hard working individuals. Management are always willing and ready to step in and give a helping hand and helpful tips as well.
The most difficult part of my job is balancing time between the store and office. Due to staff shortages , sometimes it is not possible to get office time.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with such a great team of people and meeting a diverse group of customers from all parts of the world.
Pros
benefits, free lunches, team players
Cons
short staffed, off seasons
Not worth the stress
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port HopeOctober 21, 2014
No follow through from management on rules, a lot of stuff are never fully trained, little to no chance of getting a raise or a promotion. You are replaceable. Extremely stressful and fast paced at time. If someone calls in they do not fill the shift just to save money.
Pros
met some good friends
Cons
no raises, no promotions, no follow through
Poor management, rude, arrogrant,
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 28, 2014
Have to work on holidays, bad Management, Manager's has poor management skills. Employee's not paid properly, Management behaves rudely, nothing much to learn from the job, flexible schedule, good co-workers. Good to start , but not a good place for long term career.
Pros
free food, flexible hours
Cons
management rude, arrogant, does always doubtful, job culture bad
Tim Hortons
Hostess (Former Employee) –  VariousSeptember 19, 2013
I've worked many of these restaurants. Management is horrible . Pay is always low, at one place I had a store owner laugh at my face for asking for a raise on my third year. Favorites, short breaks, no respect and confrontation instead of constructed criticizes. If you are a glutton for punishment. You will work here.
Pros
some places pay for lunch break
Cons
no raises, no respect, talking down, bad mgmt.
Part-time care full time
Palliser Lounge Attendant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 30, 2015
A wonderful company, working in a lounge part-time with many experiences in my short time. From opening up, to closing, serving food and drink, to being a "door man", this company showed it cared with each employee. The managers and supervisors took the time to ask you about your day, reviewed your work, and treated you as best they could.

I enjoyed my experiences with HMS Host, and would recommend it to anyone else as a positive work experience.
Pros
Flexible hours, TIPS
Great co-workers terrible leadership
Associate leader (Former Employee) –  Odessa, ONJune 14, 2014
Some of the staff were great and very friendly, easy to get along. The leadership team although friendly lacked the leadership aspects. The big boss for this location was always re-directing questions to those below him and never responding himself. Promotions were given out to those that the leadership team liked and not to those who had the experience / education / background for the position. When starting staff are thrown right into the mix of things and the rest of the team cringes in hopes that they didnt end up in the weeds. Most of the staff are high school students and were expected to stay late past midnight regularly. Pay raises were suppose to be done based on performance, but as each department had an allocated budget for raises it was based on the big boss' decision as to who should get what even though he didnt work with the staff like the rest of the leadership team... in doing this staff that should have received raises didnt get what they should have, and great staff got less then what they were working for.
Pros
free uniform, free lunch if you are a supervisor, some great staff.
Cons
poor leadership, health and safety not priority just something had to have, promotions were rare.
Fast paced, sometimes hectic workplace with an overall positive attitude
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Newcastle, ONNovember 3, 2015
HMS Host has taught me about customer service, brand loyalty and the transition from one brand to another. I believe the hardest part of the job is to keep up with customer demands through drive through.
Pros
Positive Work Environment
Cons
Not enough hours
coustmer service
coustmer service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 29, 2014
i worked at edmonton international airport ........... at work experienced in taking food order , operating cash registers and safely handling food while checking for proper temprature ... management is so good ... friendly enviorment at work . co workers are friendly and helpful with me while work .
Pros
free lunch
Great work experience
Expédition / Réception (Current Employee) –  Pierre Elliot Trudeau AirportSeptember 16, 2013
My Day starts at 2:30 am. I receive all the trucks as well I get all the employees of the department in an organized fashion. We unload the trucks. Enter the stock to there locations. We then receive the orders of each restaurant( Items needed for the busy day) and delivery to each restaurant of the airport. You can say that it is always a busy schedule. Once the stock has been delivered. I then proceed with entering the order forms into the database of the company computer. I make sure that each employee get there lunch /break. Once the day is complete only then do I go home. This is usually at about 2pm. I have a great time with my colleagues. Yet they say that I work to hard. But it all comes down to You do what you got to do.

The hardest part of my job in all honesty, Is the hours.

The most enjoyable is having the opportunity to work well with my colleagues
Pros
my colleagues
management are too young
cleaner (Former Employee) –  kingston ont canadaDecember 2, 2013
i was a cleaner here from aug/13 to nov/13.never got my probation over.i am a 56 year old woman who loved this job so much.i met alot of nice customers who always came back.i was told right from the start not to mingle with anybody from the brands because i will get caught up in all the drama.well i did not listen.i had fun with anyone i talked too.i got let go a few days before my probation.3 weeks later i find out it was because i apparently made sexual comments to other employees.well i should have listened the first time.i did no such thing to anyone there.99% of the employees are teens to in their early thirties.thats the age of my kids.dont think so.it takes something i said to some young kid to manifest it into something huge.management and staff are all around the same age.so whats that tell you.all their brains think alike.no matureity yet.
Pros
meeting interesting people from different countrys
Cons
terrible management, to many chiefs and not enough indians
Busy place to work
Supervisor - Mr. Sub, Tim Horton's, Wendy's (Current Employee) –  Newcastle, OntairoSeptember 12, 2012
The Travel Centre is a very busy place to work and offers a wide variety of situations for all employees from management to crew.
The day includes preparing product for the day and then serving customers quickly and efficiently.
I am required to multi-task to the max. as a supervisor as staffing levels are kept to a minimum. I am required to complete orders for product, receive the orders, take inventory, organize the crew as to what position they will work. I am also responsible for the training of new crew, monitoring the product crew puts out, supervising all aspects of the day; including the cleaning of the place and equipment at close.
I am responsible for entering information into the computer, inventory, waste control, orders.
The hardest part of the job is finding time to do all that is required of me. The best part of my job is the crew. The students I work with are the best and I look forward to working with them every day.
I work as a cashroom clerk
Cashroom Clerk (Current Employee) –  Dorval, QCJune 30, 2015
count money, refill cash bags
how to balance the day, how to order money from the bank
hardest part of the job is having to work in a smaller space
Pros
Free meals
Horrible, life sucking job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  NewcatleApril 19, 2015
Favortism, poor wages, overworked and bad management. Would never suggest anyone works for this company. The managers lie and treat employees like they are nothing. High turnover rates because nobody can stand being treated like garbage. High stress environment
Pros
staff employee meals
Cons
eveeything else
Productive workplace
Cashier\ Barista (Former Employee) –  Dorval, QCOctober 4, 2015
I enjoyed meeting new people . I am more open. The hardest part was when I have to prepare 6 sandwiches while serving other things such as: cookies, muffins and tea. Hopefully, I had my coworker so I was not alone.
Worst company to work for in the GTA North
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  GTAApril 9, 2015
Worst company to work for. They don't care about the employees. They choose favouritism over employees that do their job properly. Employees get treated unfairly. Management does a very poor job at running the locations. They do not care about politicies and procedures
all good hard workers but paid low and your just a number
not saying (Current Employee) –  edmonton, albertaOctober 6, 2014
So unfortunate that there are so many good people that work there and all they are is a number, they work so hard, work extra for not very much for wages. Even supervisors or management do not get paid right for what they do. And the thing about here is that it is in the middle of no where so to travel here costs. It is just disheartening that a international and successful company would run this way.
Pros
people that you meet
Cons
morale
The benefits are good and there is a room for improvement for each associate.
Cashier/Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaApril 23, 2012
My review to this company is that the management team are great. The work schedules are crazy for those new hirees. There was less training time with the supervisors and they will just let their new recruit do their own job by their own.
The management are supportive though they need to pay more attention to trainees at the start of the training as they will not absorb everything in the first week.
unproductive, bad working environment
cashier (Current Employee) –  dorvalJanuary 31, 2013
I have worked for this company and i am very dissatisfied with poor mangement, careless supervisors and managers with bad attitudes. i am very frustrated with having to deal with co-workers with bad customer service. Managers change my schedule without advising me first and ask me to do jobs that are not part of my duties.
Pros
insurance
Cons
short breaks, sometimes no breaks due to lack of staff, no advancement, little tips
Terrible Management
Tim Hortons (Former Employee) –  Port Hope, ONApril 27, 2015
Throughout working at HMS in Port Hope, I've dealt with a lack of management. They had a lack of experience and care for the workplace.
Pros
Okay hours
Cons
Terrible Management

2.9