HMSHost Employee Reviews in Canada

Great place to work for students!
Cashier/Barman (Current Employee) –  Dorval, QCJune 25, 2015
Great place to work for College students that are seeking a stable shift environment. The managers are also friendly and provide interesting incentives to up sale.
Pros
75% and 50% discount during break!
Cons
the pay is minimum and the union are not helpful...
Terrible Management
Tim Hortons (Former Employee) –  Port Hope, ONApril 27, 2015
Throughout working at HMS in Port Hope, I've dealt with a lack of management. They had a lack of experience and care for the workplace.
Pros
Okay hours
Cons
Terrible Management
Productive and fun place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary International Airport, CalgaryApril 20, 2015
I quickly learned how to adapt in a results-driven environment. Every single employee is willing to help and extend their expertise.
Horrible, life sucking job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  NewcatleApril 19, 2015
Favortism, poor wages, overworked and bad management. Would never suggest anyone works for this company. The managers lie and treat employees like they are nothing. High turnover rates because nobody can stand being treated like garbage. High stress environment
Pros
staff employee meals
Cons
eveeything else
fun workplace
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  toronto, onApril 14, 2015
productive work experience
enjoyed customer interaction
flexible shifts
less hours
lack of team work from co-workers
Pros
employee discounts
Cons
less hours
Worst company to work for in the GTA North
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  GTAApril 9, 2015
Worst company to work for. They don't care about the employees. They choose favouritism over employees that do their job properly. Employees get treated unfairly. Management does a very poor job at running the locations. They do not care about politicies and procedures
Working Atmosphere is good.
CR CLERK (Current Employee) –  Calgary AirportDecember 10, 2014
The HMS Host is a great company with good management. The working atmosphere is good. I have learnt a lot with HMS Host.
Not for everyone.
2nd Cook (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCNovember 20, 2014
This job is not the best in the world the management is all over the place. Equipment is way over due and needs updating and repairs. The people are great but when it come down to stress it can be high more often then low. The salary is great depending on your job which can actually be a great factor and the tips are awesome that is if you work for tips. The hardest part of this job would have been the process of getting a day off even when advanced notice has been given long before the day. Consistent reminders are required when it comes to almost anything to do with any restaurant. But if your looking for a job that pays out a lot with a lot of hours but only need it for a short time go for it but YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! Also no eating for free unless the mangers say yes, but there it discounts at a lot of polices on food.
Pros
hours and salary is great
Cons
management sucks
Very conformable environment with coworkers
cook (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 10, 2014
Great customer service experience meet new people everyday.
coustmer service
coustmer service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 29, 2014
i worked at edmonton international airport ........... at work experienced in taking food order , operating cash registers and safely handling food while checking for proper temprature ... management is so good ... friendly enviorment at work . co workers are friendly and helpful with me while work .
Pros
free lunch
Horrible
At HMS Host I (Former Employee) –  Halifax International AirportOctober 22, 2014
By far, the worst place I have ever worked, management was impossible and policy and procedure was non existent.
Cons
many
Not worth the stress
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port HopeOctober 21, 2014
No follow through from management on rules, a lot of stuff are never fully trained, little to no chance of getting a raise or a promotion. You are replaceable. Extremely stressful and fast paced at time. If someone calls in they do not fill the shift just to save money.
Pros
met some good friends
Cons
no raises, no promotions, no follow through
expected to do more
Multi-store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 19, 2014
Short staff all the time. and expected to do more then job description.
all good hard workers but paid low and your just a number
not saying (Current Employee) –  edmonton, albertaOctober 6, 2014
So unfortunate that there are so many good people that work there and all they are is a number, they work so hard, work extra for not very much for wages. Even supervisors or management do not get paid right for what they do. And the thing about here is that it is in the middle of no where so to travel here costs. It is just disheartening that a international and successful company would run this way.
Pros
people that you meet
Cons
morale
review
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 11, 2014
working in the Ottawa airport is fun.
you may choose to work in different stores in the airport.
worst management
Multi-store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 29, 2014
not a a good management at all. Asking to do much more then assigned duties. And paid less according to the work done.
Pros
get to know new people all the time.
Cons
employees not kept happy.
fun work place
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ONJuly 16, 2014
serving customers
worked well with my co-workers
enjoyed seeing satisfied customers
Great co-workers terrible leadership
Associate leader (Former Employee) –  Odessa, ONJune 14, 2014
Some of the staff were great and very friendly, easy to get along. The leadership team although friendly lacked the leadership aspects. The big boss for this location was always re-directing questions to those below him and never responding himself. Promotions were given out to those that the leadership team liked and not to those who had the experience / education / background for the position. When starting staff are thrown right into the mix of things and the rest of the team cringes in hopes that they didnt end up in the weeds. Most of the staff are high school students and were expected to stay late past midnight regularly. Pay raises were suppose to be done based on performance, but as each department had an allocated budget for raises it was based on the big boss' decision as to who should get what even though he didnt work with the staff like the rest of the leadership team... in doing this staff that should have received raises didnt get what they should have, and great staff got less then what they were working for.
Pros
free uniform, free lunch if you are a supervisor, some great staff.
Cons
poor leadership, health and safety not priority just something had to have, promotions were rare.
It is always fun to meet new customer everyday.
Barista (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  airportJune 13, 2014
I learn many things from this company.
Like brewing coffee or how to make coffee and etc.
Always fun to work with co-workers
Dust hazardous, neglected, forgotten about hours after my shift
Cashier (Former Employee) –  DorvalMarch 22, 2014
I was very excited to be working at the airport.
But my first day I went home crying. The managers were incredibly rude, they did not have any kind of good feelings about anyone, everyone was considered a threat. I was told I was going to be selling sandwiches and drinks for a fancy restaurant ( outside of it ) and they put me in this corner, selling 23$ sandwiches, 2 week old moldy cheese platters, and I got hospitalized for the amount of dust I was inhaling. Yes, I was dusting constantly during the day ( with paper towels, no duster was given), but the air was so bad that there was no catching up with it. I started having blood coming out of my ears, couldn't breathe and I told the management, nobody really bothered doing anything or looking into it. I worked there four months, made maybe 8$ a day at my booth and had no chair for my 8 hours ( sometimes 9 or 10, depending on when they decided to check me out to go home, I've been forgotten about several times ). I had customers complain to management to at least get me a chair but there was no chance of it. I was supposed to start with minimum wage but they messed up and somehow started me off at 8$ ( like the waitresses inside that made 200$ in tips everyday) and it took a few weeks for them to fix that. I also have been harassed and been called several things from customers for selling very old, WAY overpriced 3 slices of cheese and I really hated it. I would love to work at the airport again, but I will stay away from HMS. Please submit with caution, it truly was a horrible job with horrible management. Take advantage of
  more... being unionized.. I didn't.
This was a few years ago, maybe theres a chance things have changed, I very much hope so!
Pros
some very nice co-workers