HMSHost Employee Reviews

Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 May 2016
During my six years of working there, I learned many things. The setting there felt like a family. The weekends were the best.
Pros
Meals
Terrible, illegal and stupid
Tims Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON10 April 2016
I worked for HMS host in south Cambridge, and i burned my whole right hand with a steeped tea kettle suffering permanent nerve damage and they swept it under the rug and fired me and ruled it as not following proper safety guidelines
Pros
Cons
Favourtisim, Greed, Lack of awareness, Union is garbage
Don't hurt your head there's better place to work
2 cook (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2016
Run pls run don't even look at this company. They will let u lose your stander has a cook. If your not like they will pick on until you quit or they fire you. The union is a joke they work for the company not the workers. Your head of HR don't know how to talk to the employees. Then that leads to the manger and peer mangers who really don't know how to deal with employees. You have about 5 manger that work for this company who know how talk to there employees. PLS RUN DONT WORK FOR THE HMS HOST IN THE AIRPORT in Toronto
Pros
Some of the staff if they not back stabbing
Cons
The management from HR to the little mangers
Great co-workers terrible leadership
Associate leader (Former Employee) –  Odessa, ON14 June 2014
Some of the staff were great and very friendly, easy to get along. The leadership team although friendly lacked the leadership aspects. The big boss for this location was always re-directing questions to those below him and never responding himself. Promotions were given out to those that the leadership team liked and not to those who had the experience / education / background for the position. When starting staff are thrown right into the mix of things and the rest of the team cringes in hopes that they didnt end up in the weeds. Most of the staff are high school students and were expected to stay late past midnight regularly. Pay raises were suppose to be done based on performance, but as each department had an allocated budget for raises it was based on the big boss' decision as to who should get what even though he didnt work with the staff like the rest of the leadership team... in doing this staff that should have received raises didnt get what they should have, and great staff got less then what they were working for.
Pros
Free Uniform, free lunch if you are a supervisor, some great staff.
Cons
Poor leadership, Health and Safety not priority just something had to have, Promotions were rare.
Tim Hortons
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Various19 September 2013
I've worked many of these restaurants. Management is horrible . Pay is always low, at one place I had a store owner laugh at my face for asking for a raise on my third year. Favorites, short breaks, no respect and confrontation instead of constructed criticizes. If you are a glutton for punishment. You will work here.
Pros
Some places pay for lunch break
Cons
No raises, no respect, talking down, bad mgmt.
Not worth the stress
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Hope21 October 2014
No follow through from management on rules, a lot of stuff are never fully trained, little to no chance of getting a raise or a promotion. You are replaceable. Extremely stressful and fast paced at time. If someone calls in they do not fill the shift just to save money.
Pros
Met some good friends
Cons
No raises, no promotions, no follow through
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario17 March 2016
I enjoyed the employee's,I learned a lot of skills that I can now transfer to other employment. Didn't feel I could have a life outside of work.
Pros
staff
Assistant F&B Manager
Assistant F&B Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON2 April 2016
Stores in charge: Starbucks, Thai Express, Extream Pita
Supervising the day-to-day activities of all non-management associates.
Assigning work responsibilities, prepares schedules, and ensures that all shifts are covered.
HMSHost Schiphol airport
Waiter, cashier. (Former Employee) –  Amsterdam Airport Schiphol10 March 2016
Perfect job/study combination with supporting managers and fellow employees. Managers gave me many opportunities to develop my leadership and managing skills. The co-workers were very helpful, always working as a team. The flexible working hours made it easy for me to follow all my university lectures.
Pros
Colleges and managers
Cons
paid lunches
no pay
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 April 2016
I work there almost 2 month, still not pay me yet. so cheap this company. always short staff. not really follow timhorton standard. manchine not clear everyday. so dirty.
cook
Buger king cook (Former Employee) –  Ingleside, ON8 March 2016
it cooked burgers and other food and served people there food handled cash balanced tills closed the store. management not the greatest to work with
Co workers were great to work with
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Innisfil, ON31 January 2016
I think that if the HMS I worked at would get new management I would have stayed longer but due to bad management I wouldnt stay
Cons
management
Not alright.
cashier (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 November 2015
I've been in the company for years on end, and when I started there things were amazing but after I transferred things went down hill especially with the management I have now. Well let's not say all of them just a few.
Pros
Union, co workers
Cons
Disrespectful management team, lack of consideration, talks about employees behind their backs, irrelevant work that's not in your job description.
Poor management, rude, arrogrant,
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 January 2014
Have to work on holidays, bad Management, Manager's has poor management skills. Employee's not paid properly, Management behaves rudely, nothing much to learn from the job, flexible schedule, good co-workers. Good to start , but not a good place for long term career.
Pros
free food, flexible hours
Cons
management rude, arrogant, does always doubtful, job culture bad
Part-time care full time
Palliser Lounge Attendant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 October 2015
A wonderful company, working in a lounge part-time with many experiences in my short time. From opening up, to closing, serving food and drink, to being a "door man", this company showed it cared with each employee. The managers and supervisors took the time to ask you about your day, reviewed your work, and treated you as best they could.

I enjoyed my experiences with HMS Host, and would recommend it to anyone else as a positive work experience.
Pros
Flexible hours, TIPS
Great work experience
Expédition / Réception (Current Employee) –  Pierre Elliot Trudeau Airport16 September 2013
My Day starts at 2:30 am. I receive all the trucks as well I get all the employees of the department in an organized fashion. We unload the trucks. Enter the stock to there locations. We then receive the orders of each restaurant( Items needed for the busy day) and delivery to each restaurant of the airport. You can say that it is always a busy schedule. Once the stock has been delivered. I then proceed with entering the order forms into the database of the company computer. I make sure that each employee get there lunch /break. Once the day is complete only then do I go home. This is usually at about 2pm. I have a great time with my colleagues. Yet they say that I work to hard. But it all comes down to You do what you got to do.

The hardest part of my job in all honesty, Is the hours.

The most enjoyable is having the opportunity to work well with my colleagues
Pros
my colleagues
coustmer service
coustmer service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 October 2014
i worked at edmonton international airport ........... at work experienced in taking food order , operating cash registers and safely handling food while checking for proper temprature ... management is so good ... friendly enviorment at work . co workers are friendly and helpful with me while work .
Pros
free lunch
Busy place to work
Supervisor - Mr. Sub, Tim Horton's, Wendy's (Current Employee) –  Newcastle, Ontairo12 September 2012
The Travel Centre is a very busy place to work and offers a wide variety of situations for all employees from management to crew.
The day includes preparing product for the day and then serving customers quickly and efficiently.
I am required to multi-task to the max. as a supervisor as staffing levels are kept to a minimum. I am required to complete orders for product, receive the orders, take inventory, organize the crew as to what position they will work. I am also responsible for the training of new crew, monitoring the product crew puts out, supervising all aspects of the day; including the cleaning of the place and equipment at close.
I am responsible for entering information into the computer, inventory, waste control, orders.
The hardest part of the job is finding time to do all that is required of me. The best part of my job is the crew. The students I work with are the best and I look forward to working with them every day.
management are too young
cleaner (Former Employee) –  kingston ont canada2 December 2013
i was a cleaner here from aug/13 to nov/13.never got my probation over.i am a 56 year old woman who loved this job so much.i met alot of nice customers who always came back.i was told right from the start not to mingle with anybody from the brands because i will get caught up in all the drama.well i did not listen.i had fun with anyone i talked too.i got let go a few days before my probation.3 weeks later i find out it was because i apparently made sexual comments to other employees.well i should have listened the first time.i did no such thing to anyone there.99% of the employees are teens to in their early thirties.thats the age of my kids.dont think so.it takes something i said to some young kid to manifest it into something huge.management and staff are all around the same age.so whats that tell you.all their brains think alike.no matureity yet.
Pros
meeting interesting people from different countrys
Cons
terrible management, to many chiefs and not enough indians
Fast paced, sometimes hectic workplace with an overall positive attitude
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Newcastle, ON3 November 2015
HMS Host has taught me about customer service, brand loyalty and the transition from one brand to another. I believe the hardest part of the job is to keep up with customer demands through drive through.
Pros
Positive Work Environment
Cons
Not enough hours

2.9