HMSHost Employee Reviews in Canada

good for growing your experience and learning procedures
Manager at Palominos (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCMay 31, 2016
overall a decent place to work. Hms will teach you a lot about unionized environments. My management team is pretty good, but not all come from a hospitality job, so it can be challenging. hardest part of my job is remembering all the legalities, paper work and procedure that are set in place. as they are a little different to what i'm used to. most enjoyable part of my job is working in an airport. it is fast paced and most people are pretty happy considering they are traveling!
Pros
free food, paid vacation, benefits
Cons
not a family orientated environment
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 5, 2016
During my six years of working there, I learned many things. The setting there felt like a family. The weekends were the best.
Pros
Meals
Cons
Excellent experience to take to my next job.
Food and Beverage Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCMay 2, 2016
Lots of training through the HR department. Lots or rules and regulations in place so you know what's expected from you. Daily routines in place. Labour relations training.
Pros
Free food, flexible when booking time off. Possible advancement if you relocate.
Cons
Long hours, no advancment
no pay
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 25, 2016
I work there almost 2 month, still not pay me yet. so cheap this company. always short staff. not really follow timhorton standard. manchine not clear everyday. so dirty.
Terrible, illegal and stupid
Tims Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONApril 10, 2016
I worked for HMS host in south Cambridge, and i burned my whole right hand with a steeped tea kettle suffering permanent nerve damage and they swept it under the rug and fired me and ruled it as not following proper safety guidelines
Pros
Cons
Favourtisim, Greed, Lack of awareness, Union is garbage
Assistant F&B Manager
Assistant F&B Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ONApril 2, 2016
Stores in charge: Starbucks, Thai Express, Extream Pita
Supervising the day-to-day activities of all non-management associates.
Assigning work responsibilities, prepares schedules, and ensures that all shifts are covered.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  OntarioMarch 17, 2016
I enjoyed the employee's,I learned a lot of skills that I can now transfer to other employment. Didn't feel I could have a life outside of work.
Pros
staff
Friendly coworkers
Food Preparer/Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 13, 2016
Working for HMS host was and is a fun experience. I love to cook and clean and have fun at work with other co-workers.

However, the salary and time managment for schedules is not working. We went from having 40 hrs/week to 25hrs/week at most. This is not working for me as i have bills to pay for and i'm trying to save up for education towards my dream career.
Pros
friendly co workers
Cons
not enough hours, salary
HMSHost Schiphol airport
Waiter, cashier. (Former Employee) –  Amsterdam Airport SchipholMarch 10, 2016
Perfect job/study combination with supporting managers and fellow employees. Managers gave me many opportunities to develop my leadership and managing skills. The co-workers were very helpful, always working as a team. The flexible working hours made it easy for me to follow all my university lectures.
Pros
Colleges and managers
Cons
paid lunches
cook
Buger king cook (Former Employee) –  Ingleside, ONMarch 8, 2016
it cooked burgers and other food and served people there food handled cash balanced tills closed the store. management not the greatest to work with
Co workers were great to work with
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Innisfil, ONJanuary 31, 2016
I think that if the HMS I worked at would get new management I would have stayed longer but due to bad management I wouldnt stay
Cons
management
Don't hurt your head there's better place to work
2 cook (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 19, 2016
Run pls run don't even look at this company. They will let u lose your stander has a cook. If your not like they will pick on until you quit or they fire you. The union is a joke they work for the company not the workers. Your head of HR don't know how to talk to the employees. Then that leads to the manger and peer mangers who really don't know how to deal with employees. You have about 5 manger that work for this company who know how talk to there employees. PLS RUN DONT WORK FOR THE HMS HOST IN THE AIRPORT in Toronto
Pros
Some of the staff if they not back stabbing
Cons
The management from HR to the little mangers
Not alright.
cashier (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCNovember 26, 2015
I've been in the company for years on end, and when I started there things were amazing but after I transferred things went down hill especially with the management I have now. Well let's not say all of them just a few.
Pros
Union, co workers
Cons
Disrespectful management team, lack of consideration, talks about employees behind their backs, irrelevant work that's not in your job description.
Balance and fair employment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 19, 2015
Its a company with a fair treatment of all the employee great opportunity for career improvement. with a friendly and safe working environment. promotes peoples first culture.
Pros
nice benefits
Cons
very fun place to work at
Cashier/Bartender Gate5 (Current Employee) –  Dorval, QCNovember 7, 2015
This company is really reliable, the people on your team become like you family. Salary is not bad and if you work at a restaurant with tip it can really add up. Managers are nice and reliable.
Pros
50% off lunches
Cons
very long hours a day.
Fast paced, sometimes hectic workplace with an overall positive attitude
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Newcastle, ONNovember 3, 2015
HMS Host has taught me about customer service, brand loyalty and the transition from one brand to another. I believe the hardest part of the job is to keep up with customer demands through drive through.
Pros
Positive Work Environment
Cons
Not enough hours
Part-time care full time
Palliser Lounge Attendant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 30, 2015
A wonderful company, working in a lounge part-time with many experiences in my short time. From opening up, to closing, serving food and drink, to being a "door man", this company showed it cared with each employee. The managers and supervisors took the time to ask you about your day, reviewed your work, and treated you as best they could.

I enjoyed my experiences with HMS Host, and would recommend it to anyone else as a positive work experience.
Pros
Flexible hours, TIPS
Productive workplace
Cashier\ Barista (Former Employee) –  Dorval, QCOctober 4, 2015
I enjoyed meeting new people . I am more open. The hardest part was when I have to prepare 6 sandwiches while serving other things such as: cookies, muffins and tea. Hopefully, I had my coworker so I was not alone.
HMS HOST INT. (YUL)
Stock Keeper (Former Employee) –  Dorval, QCJuly 17, 2015
Commissary. Lots of lifting thats about it. pretty unorganized and they work use their seniority for just about any excuse.
Pros
% off most food places.
Cons
can only have % off during lunch.
I work as a cashroom clerk
Cashroom Clerk (Current Employee) –  Dorval, QCJune 30, 2015
count money, refill cash bags
how to balance the day, how to order money from the bank
hardest part of the job is having to work in a smaller space
Pros
Free meals