HMSHost Employee Reviews

good for growing your experience and learning procedures
Manager at Palominos (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC31 May 2016
overall a decent place to work. Hms will teach you a lot about unionized environments. My management team is pretty good, but not all come from a hospitality job, so it can be challenging. hardest part of my job is remembering all the legalities, paper work and procedure that are set in place. as they are a little different to what i'm used to. most enjoyable part of my job is working in an airport. it is fast paced and most people are pretty happy considering they are traveling!
Pros
free food, paid vacation, benefits
Cons
not a family orientated environment
Awful Experience All Around
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON26 July 2016
I was constantly working alone at a store with two different cashes (Yogen Fruz/Cinnabon) even on the busy days where there were lines out the door. I could only use one cash for Cinnabon and the other for Yogen Fruz so if customers wanted products from both I had to do two separate orders, which of course took more time. I kept asking for help on the busiest day (only one day a week) and in three months I got no help. I constantly went in for overtime and almost every time I was called in and I was still treated poorly, like everyone else.

The management was awful, to the point where two of the managers that were there when I was working, have now been fired. I was even chastised for switching shifts with a coworker when I had already worked 8 days in a row and was sick (with a fever and cough). I was then fired a few days later for calling in sick for the first time with no warnings or write ups.

The only benefit from this job was the work experience for my resume and the friends I made while I was working.
Pros
Good coworkers, easy to get job
Cons
long hours, bad management, low pay, lots of overtime, bad work environment
Good benefits bad wage
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 June 2016
Hard to work here with the culture and attitude most people have tons of advancement just hard to keep working here with so many different people. Hours are good and balanced benefits help alot
Friendly coworkers
Food Preparer/Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 March 2016
Working for HMS host was and is a fun experience. I love to cook and clean and have fun at work with other co-workers.

However, the salary and time managment for schedules is not working. We went from having 40 hrs/week to 25hrs/week at most. This is not working for me as i have bills to pay for and i'm trying to save up for education towards my dream career.
Pros
friendly co workers
Cons
not enough hours, salary
stress
Team Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 December 2016
not fair management...

substandard
co-workers were ok but management doesn't know how to manage an employee...
they cut hours in your pay cheque.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
management sucks
Excellent experience to take to my next job.
Food and Beverage Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC2 May 2016
Lots of training through the HR department. Lots or rules and regulations in place so you know what's expected from you. Daily routines in place. Labour relations training.
Pros
Free food, flexible when booking time off. Possible advancement if you relocate.
Cons
Long hours, no advancment
Balance and fair employment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 November 2015
Its a company with a fair treatment of all the employee great opportunity for career improvement. with a friendly and safe working environment. promotes peoples first culture.
Pros
nice benefits
HMS Host/Tim Hortons
Tim Hortons (Former Employee) –  Tilbury, ON1 September 2016
I loved working for HMS Host. I was a Tim Hortons employee and I worked there for almost 4 years. It taught me a lot about cash handling, food handling and customer service. The co-workers for the most part were awesome to work with. The hardest part of the job was when you had a difficult customer. The most enjoyable part was when the shift went smoothly and everyone got their jobs done while still having fun.
Pros
close to home
Cons
difficult customers
management is terrible
Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON9 November 2016
worst place ever to work, lots of bullying by staff members, lots of favoritism by management, no respect all around, even complanining to head office does nothing
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Management is poor
Team Leader/Cashier/Barista (Former Employee) –  Dorval, QC24 November 2016
Fun place to work at.They expect you to work at other restaurants too. The management is very poor, as well as communication between colleagues.
very fun place to work at
Cashier/Bartender Gate5 (Current Employee) –  Dorval, QC7 November 2015
This company is really reliable, the people on your team become like you family. Salary is not bad and if you work at a restaurant with tip it can really add up. Managers are nice and reliable.
Pros
50% off lunches
Cons
very long hours a day.
poor management
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON8 September 2016
Short staffed and underpaid. negative environment. many of us cannot wait to leave. employees are a dime a dozen and not respected. management is not repectful or respected.
Aweful
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Tilbury, ON10 September 2016
Management sucks
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 August 2016
I worked for HMS for over 5 months, my co workers were great but some general managers don't know how to treat employees.Once a general manager humiliated me when it was rush hour because he wants me to sweep the floor when it's rush hour. Also they get rid of part timers and only hiring full timers. Schedule sucks as well.
Pros
50% off discount of food
Cons
No flexible hours
A nice place to work at.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 November 2016
The hours were a little bit tough for me. I am not an early morning person. It was fun dealing with a lot of different people. My co-workers made work fun.
Terrible, illegal and stupid
Tims Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON10 April 2016
I worked for HMS host in south Cambridge, and i burned my whole right hand with a steeped tea kettle suffering permanent nerve damage and they swept it under the rug and fired me and ruled it as not following proper safety guidelines
Pros
Cons
Favourtisim, Greed, Lack of awareness, Union is garbage
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 May 2016
During my six years of working there, I learned many things. The setting there felt like a family. The weekends were the best.
Pros
Meals
Not for everyone.
2nd Cook (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 November 2014
This job is not the best in the world the management is all over the place. Equipment is way over due and needs updating and repairs. The people are great but when it come down to stress it can be high more often then low. The salary is great depending on your job which can actually be a great factor and the tips are awesome that is if you work for tips. The hardest part of this job would have been the process of getting a day off even when advanced notice has been given long before the day. Consistent reminders are required when it comes to almost anything to do with any restaurant. But if your looking for a job that pays out a lot with a lot of hours but only need it for a short time go for it but YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! Also no eating for free unless the mangers say yes, but there it discounts at a lot of polices on food.
Pros
hours and salary is great
Cons
Management sucks
Team oriented workplace with superior management !
Associate Leader (Current Employee) –  Ingleside, ON4 November 2013
I have worked at HMS Host for a little over two years and in that time I have learned many new skills. Everyone there is a team player, all hard working individuals. Management are always willing and ready to step in and give a helping hand and helpful tips as well.
The most difficult part of my job is balancing time between the store and office. Due to staff shortages , sometimes it is not possible to get office time.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with such a great team of people and meeting a diverse group of customers from all parts of the world.
Pros
Benefits, free lunches, team players
Cons
short staffed, off seasons
Don't hurt your head there's better place to work
2 cook (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2016
Run pls run don't even look at this company. They will let u lose your stander has a cook. If your not like they will pick on until you quit or they fire you. The union is a joke they work for the company not the workers. Your head of HR don't know how to talk to the employees. Then that leads to the manger and peer mangers who really don't know how to deal with employees. You have about 5 manger that work for this company who know how talk to there employees. PLS RUN DONT WORK FOR THE HMS HOST IN THE AIRPORT in Toronto
Pros
Some of the staff if they not back stabbing
Cons
The management from HR to the little mangers