HMSHost

HMSHost Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Not worth the stress
Cashier (Former Employee), Port HopeOctober 21, 2014
Pros: met some good friends
Cons: no raises, no promotions, no follow through
No follow through from management on rules, a lot of stuff are never fully trained, little to no chance of getting a raise or a promotion. You are replaceable. Extremely stressful and fast paced at time. If someone calls in they do not fill the shift just to save money.
expected to do more
Multi-store Supervisor (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 19, 2014
Short staff all the time. and expected to do more then job description.
all good hard workers but paid low and your just a number
not saying (Current Employee), edmonton, albertaOctober 6, 2014
Pros: people that you meet
Cons: morale
So unfortunate that there are so many good people that work there and all they are is a number, they work so hard, work extra for not very much for wages. Even supervisors or management do not get paid right for what they do. And the thing about here is that it is in the middle of no where so to travel here costs. It is just disheartening that a international – more... and successful company would run this way. – less
Dust hazardous, neglected, forgotten about hours after my shift
Cashier (Former Employee), DorvalMarch 22, 2014
Pros: some very nice co-workers
I was very excited to be working at the airport.
But my first day I went home crying. The managers were incredibly rude, they did not have any kind of good feelings about anyone, everyone was considered a threat. I was told I was going to be selling sandwiches and drinks for a fancy restaurant ( outside of it ) and they put me in this corner, selling – more... 23$ sandwiches, 2 week old moldy cheese platters, and I got hospitalized for the amount of dust I was inhaling. Yes, I was dusting constantly during the day ( with paper towels, no duster was given), but the air was so bad that there was no catching up with it. I started having blood coming out of my ears, couldn't breathe and I told the management, nobody really bothered doing anything or looking into it. I worked there four months, made maybe 8$ a day at my booth and had no chair for my 8 hours ( sometimes 9 or 10, depending on when they decided to check me out to go home, I've been forgotten about several times ). I had customers complain to management to at least get me a chair but there was no chance of it. I was supposed to start with minimum wage but they messed up and somehow started me off at 8$ ( like the waitresses inside that made 200$ in tips everyday) and it took a few weeks for them to fix that. I also have been harassed and been called several things from customers for selling very old, WAY overpriced 3 slices of cheese and I really hated it. I would love to work at the airport again, but I will stay away from HMS. Please submit with caution, it truly was a horrible job with horrible management. Take advantage of being unionized.. I didn't.
This was a few years ago, maybe theres a chance things have changed, I very much hope so! – less
management are too young
cleaner (Former Employee), kingston ont canadaDecember 2, 2013
Pros: meeting interesting people from different countrys
Cons: terrible management, to many chiefs and not enough indians
i was a cleaner here from aug/13 to nov/13.never got my probation over.i am a 56 year old woman who loved this job so much.i met alot of nice customers who always came back.i was told right from the start not to mingle with anybody from the brands because i will get caught up in all the drama.well i did not listen.i had fun with anyone i talked too.i – more... got let go a few days before my probation.3 weeks later i find out it was because i apparently made sexual comments to other employees.well i should have listened the first time.i did no such thing to anyone there.99% of the employees are teens to in their early thirties.thats the age of my kids.dont think so.it takes something i said to some young kid to manifest it into something huge.management and staff are all around the same age.so whats that tell you.all their brains think alike.no matureity yet. – less
Tim Hortons
Hostess (Former Employee), VariousSeptember 19, 2013
Pros: some places pay for lunch break
Cons: no raises, no respect, talking down, bad mgmt.
I've worked many of these restaurants. Management is horrible . Pay is always low, at one place I had a store owner laugh at my face for asking for a raise on my third year. Favorites, short breaks, no respect and confrontation instead of constructed criticizes. If you are a glutton for punishment. You will work here.
Interesting job, able to meet so many people
Customer Relations Associate (Current Employee), Edmonton International AirportApril 3, 2013
Pros: free food
Meet and greet guests, make them comfortable. Nice place to work, with very nice colleagues.
unproductive, bad working environment
cashier (Current Employee), dorvalJanuary 31, 2013
Pros: insurance
Cons: short breaks, sometimes no breaks due to lack of staff, no advancement, little tips
I have worked for this company and i am very dissatisfied with poor mangement, careless supervisors and managers with bad attitudes. i am very frustrated with having to deal with co-workers with bad customer service. Managers change my schedule without advising me first and ask me to do jobs that are not part of my duties.
Here's the run down
cook (Current Employee), Jim thrope paDecember 14, 2014
Pros: free lunch, they pretty much can work with you with your hours, at the expense of other employees hours, so they are really flexible.
Here the run down of this ppractical plaza, First off for this plaza your base pay is 8$ an hour lead 9 $.You get a free lunch up to 10$ in value (half in hour break) mini smoke break depending on how busy it is. It can be more then 3 sometimes if its not too busy and less then 2 if it is. Peak season you will have all the hours you want (peak season – more... is the whole summer and holiday) and when it slows down you will lose hour, but with people constantly getting fired or quiting that will probably solve that problem for you. Some Employees are good to work with most are backstabber but of course they wont admit it you'll probably here it from the whispers of other employees but if you can ignore that you'll be fine. Management can have there good day and bad. Normally for mangement if things happen like too many people call off or they dont have enough coverages they will start being a dick to the employees. The next day it will be forgotten or they will move on so they wont be a dick for long.Night is usually covered by young adult and morning is covered by older employees.If your not what everyone expects you to be your pretty much a target. Again if you just do your work and ingored them all they can do is just talk. I recommend this job to people who are in school or people who really need money until they get a better job. – less
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Hammonton, NJDecember 9, 2014
Pros: paid for lunch
Cons: not too many hours
Work was fun and you learned a lot. It was well managed and ran. I would go back any day if they ha more working hours and it was closer. All the co workers get a long. We were all like family. Hardest part was rude costumers, but you always learn to adjust to that.
Terrible Managment..Don't do IT
Sales (Current Employee), Gerald R. Ford AirportDecember 8, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: no "real" breaks, terrible staffing, equiptment does not work, horrid managment
Terrible management, they do not treat employees with respect. It is like working in the stone ages they do not have running printers, they cannot keep cooks hired because they are treated terrible. They run on a minimal amount of staffing so if one person calls in then you do not get a break or any help if you are busy ( but you do have to punch out – more... at the end of your shift and sit there to "take a Break")....There are some nice people who work there...but not many. – less
So-So Work environment and care
Cook 2 (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CADecember 2, 2014
Pros: free lunch, fun people
Cons: low pay, bad benefits bad management
Working here reminds me how not to be when i take a management position again. The work load is fast and fun but lack of leadership and lack of prepped food makes working here twice as hard. Constant overtime only because people quit faster than they hire. Only here because job is located in the airport.
Horrible business
Lead Barista- Starbucks (Current Employee), Fort Myers, FLDecember 2, 2014
managment sucks, horrible unorganized work enviorment horrible place of business!!!
Great First Job
Crew Member (Current Employee), Cambridge, ONNovember 28, 2014
Pros: job security, team work and working environment.
Cons: low pay, poor management, terrible scheduling.
Overall, working for HMSHost was a good experience. The management was a tad unprofessional but there was always a sense of belonging and the employees worked as a team in order to complete tasks efficiently and in a timely manner.
Not worth it.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Orlando, FLNovember 26, 2014
Pros: free food at different outlets, health, 401k
Cons: low pay, long hours, strict policies
It's a large company with a branch in almost every airport in the US but the pay is way below industry average. The staff gets paid more than the management. They do offer decent benefits like free meals, 401k and health but when your pay is that low you need a second job just to make up the difference. Maybe other people have had a better experience – more... but my particular branch has everyone quitting because of pay and management. – less
this place is the worse experience I have ever had.
snackbar attendant (Former Employee), el paso texasNovember 19, 2014
Cons: no breaks bad company overall
Management sucks they are really stupid and they are stealing from airlines.and when I confronted hr about it I got fired a week later for 2 tardies "what a joke"when every single employee was always late.but I learn and I would not recommend this place to no one.you are better off anywere else.
Was ok
Food Service Worker (Former Employee), Sacramento, CANovember 17, 2014
Pros: free lunch, decent pay, union
Cons: union(lol), didn't get breaks, rude people
Being at HMSHost was ok, what frustrated me the most was that they knew they were going to do layoffs when they hired me..
Fun work place
Barista (Current Employee), Orlando, FLNovember 17, 2014
Is a busy typical day at work, I've learned to do different stuffs as a barista. Love my coworkers. The hardest part at my job is the customer's but it is never impossible to get a smile and a thank you back. The most enjoyable part of my job is making different drinks all the time.
Busy and productive place to work
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee), Dublin AirportNovember 16, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: long hours.
Best place to learn about food and Beverage dutties.
I learned how work with different kind of culture, people, customers.
Work in different position every day, gave me opportunity to learn about kitchen, bar, restaurant and coffees.
Very busy and hectic place to work
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee), Elkhart, INNovember 11, 2014
Pros: free lunches, good pay, good hours.
Cons: no life, too hectic, etc.
The co-workers were mainly lazy except for a few. The management is ok, but I wish there would have been more than one or two. Also, they don't really care about their balance of work and life for their employees.

1 2 3 4 5

About HMSHost

HMSHost is part of Autogrill S.p.A. – the world’s largest provider of food and beverage services for travelers. Along – Read more