HMSHost

HMSHost Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Not worth the stress
Cashier (Former Employee), Port HopeOctober 21, 2014
Pros: met some good friends
Cons: no raises, no promotions, no follow through
No follow through from management on rules, a lot of stuff are never fully trained, little to no chance of getting a raise or a promotion. You are replaceable. Extremely stressful and fast paced at time. If someone calls in they do not fill the shift just to save money.
expected to do more
Multi-store Supervisor (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 19, 2014
Short staff all the time. and expected to do more then job description.
all good hard workers but paid low and your just a number
not saying (Current Employee), edmonton, albertaOctober 6, 2014
Pros: people that you meet
Cons: morale
So unfortunate that there are so many good people that work there and all they are is a number, they work so hard, work extra for not very much for wages. Even supervisors or management do not get paid right for what they do. And the thing about here is that it is in the middle of no where so to travel here costs. It is just disheartening that a international – more... and successful company would run this way. – less
Dust hazardous, neglected, forgotten about hours after my shift
Cashier (Former Employee), DorvalMarch 22, 2014
Pros: some very nice co-workers
I was very excited to be working at the airport.
But my first day I went home crying. The managers were incredibly rude, they did not have any kind of good feelings about anyone, everyone was considered a threat. I was told I was going to be selling sandwiches and drinks for a fancy restaurant ( outside of it ) and they put me in this corner, selling – more... 23$ sandwiches, 2 week old moldy cheese platters, and I got hospitalized for the amount of dust I was inhaling. Yes, I was dusting constantly during the day ( with paper towels, no duster was given), but the air was so bad that there was no catching up with it. I started having blood coming out of my ears, couldn't breathe and I told the management, nobody really bothered doing anything or looking into it. I worked there four months, made maybe 8$ a day at my booth and had no chair for my 8 hours ( sometimes 9 or 10, depending on when they decided to check me out to go home, I've been forgotten about several times ). I had customers complain to management to at least get me a chair but there was no chance of it. I was supposed to start with minimum wage but they messed up and somehow started me off at 8$ ( like the waitresses inside that made 200$ in tips everyday) and it took a few weeks for them to fix that. I also have been harassed and been called several things from customers for selling very old, WAY overpriced 3 slices of cheese and I really hated it. I would love to work at the airport again, but I will stay away from HMS. Please submit with caution, it truly was a horrible job with horrible management. Take advantage of being unionized.. I didn't.
This was a few years ago, maybe theres a chance things have changed, I very much hope so! – less
management are too young
cleaner (Former Employee), kingston ont canadaDecember 2, 2013
Pros: meeting interesting people from different countrys
Cons: terrible management, to many chiefs and not enough indians
i was a cleaner here from aug/13 to nov/13.never got my probation over.i am a 56 year old woman who loved this job so much.i met alot of nice customers who always came back.i was told right from the start not to mingle with anybody from the brands because i will get caught up in all the drama.well i did not listen.i had fun with anyone i talked too.i – more... got let go a few days before my probation.3 weeks later i find out it was because i apparently made sexual comments to other employees.well i should have listened the first time.i did no such thing to anyone there.99% of the employees are teens to in their early thirties.thats the age of my kids.dont think so.it takes something i said to some young kid to manifest it into something huge.management and staff are all around the same age.so whats that tell you.all their brains think alike.no matureity yet. – less
Tim Hortons
Hostess (Former Employee), VariousSeptember 19, 2013
Pros: some places pay for lunch break
Cons: no raises, no respect, talking down, bad mgmt.
I've worked many of these restaurants. Management is horrible . Pay is always low, at one place I had a store owner laugh at my face for asking for a raise on my third year. Favorites, short breaks, no respect and confrontation instead of constructed criticizes. If you are a glutton for punishment. You will work here.
Interesting job, able to meet so many people
Customer Relations Associate (Current Employee), Edmonton International AirportApril 3, 2013
Pros: free food
Meet and greet guests, make them comfortable. Nice place to work, with very nice colleagues.
unproductive, bad working environment
cashier (Current Employee), dorvalJanuary 31, 2013
Pros: insurance
Cons: short breaks, sometimes no breaks due to lack of staff, no advancement, little tips
I have worked for this company and i am very dissatisfied with poor mangement, careless supervisors and managers with bad attitudes. i am very frustrated with having to deal with co-workers with bad customer service. Managers change my schedule without advising me first and ask me to do jobs that are not part of my duties.
Was ok
Food Service Worker (Former Employee), Sacramento, CANovember 17, 2014
Pros: free lunch, decent pay, union
Cons: union(lol), didn't get breaks, rude people
Being at HMSHost was ok, what frustrated me the most was that they knew they were going to do layoffs when they hired me..
Fun work place
Barista (Current Employee), Orlando, FLNovember 17, 2014
Is a busy typical day at work, I've learned to do different stuffs as a barista. Love my coworkers. The hardest part at my job is the customer's but it is never impossible to get a smile and a thank you back. The most enjoyable part of my job is making different drinks all the time.
Busy and productive place to work
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee), Dublin AirportNovember 16, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: long hours.
Best place to learn about food and Beverage dutties.
I learned how work with different kind of culture, people, customers.
Work in different position every day, gave me opportunity to learn about kitchen, bar, restaurant and coffees.
Very busy and hectic place to work
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee), Elkhart, INNovember 11, 2014
Pros: free lunches, good pay, good hours.
Cons: no life, too hectic, etc.
The co-workers were mainly lazy except for a few. The management is ok, but I wish there would have been more than one or two. Also, they don't really care about their balance of work and life for their employees.
Fun Place.
Customer Service Represenative (Former Employee), Lambert AirportNovember 4, 2014
Working for HMSHost was quite fun and a bit overwhelming at times. The friendly faces i have met a long the way have created my work ethic in new environments. The management however i did not feel like they were professional. SOME i should say. But overall the time i spent there was great. I learned new things, very fun place to work, you get to meet – more... lots of people seeing that it was the airport. wonderful place. The policies i feel did not fit with how they were running the establishment. It like they set their own rules and made our own goals when we are all individuals trying to achieve one goal which was do whatever it took to get the job done. Great place, i will never go back! The best part of my day were seeing my co-workers. They brought me life in such a gloomy work station when management came around. – less
Hostile work environment
Cashier (Former Employee), cranbury njNovember 3, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: horrible management staff
THIS IS THE WORST COMPANY TO WORK FOR MANAGEMENT IS BEYOND UNPROFESSIONAL AND DISRESPECTFUL!!! DONT WASTE YOUR TIME HERE BECAUSE THE PAY ISNT GREAT EITHER!!
Get to meet different cultured people every day
Sales-Commission Associate (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAOctober 24, 2014
Pros: free lunch, working on different concourses
Cons: not enough food choices
My co-workers make my day at this job along with hearing the different places that people flying to every day.
Horrible place to work for
Cook/Cashier/Utility (Former Employee), Verona, PAOctober 20, 2014
Pros: free meals
Cons: free meals were awful. horrible management. constantly lied to. way too much drama.
Worst place I've ever worked. Management is absolutely terrible. They put people in management roles that have absolutely no prior training or experience. HR is constantly having to get involved in situations because management is very shady about things. They will constantly lie to their employees and purposely try to start problems between employees. – more... Turn over rate is extremely high because of this. Working here was honestly like being in a junior high because of the amount of drama that the management infuses. – less
Hated It
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee), Phelps, NYOctober 14, 2014
Great Work, Bad Management. Co-Workers were great, no benefits. Had to work most your breaks. Called you in on days off then you didnt get paid over time.
Productivity, friendly and fun place
Assistant accountant (Former Employee), Dublin airportOctober 13, 2014
Pros: friendly, challenge
Cons: long distance to work
Time pressure of routine work.
Friendly environment to work.
Clear report line to managers.
Challenging objectives to achieve.
It was a very great place to be working at, fun environment
Delivery Driver, Beyond The Grind (Former Employee), Irvine, CAOctober 6, 2014
I was pleased with the company, unfortunately I had to resign due t schedule conflicting with school.
Productive and fun, management is terrible!
Barista (Current Employee), DFW airportOctober 2, 2014
Pros: fun, busy
Cons: long shifts, low pay, terrible management
The overall job is a good, fun place to work. You get to meet many different types of people and are able to socialize and make drinks all day. While the job itself is fun, the management is terrible. i see a manager maybe once a day and its always an, "okay, nobody called in? bye." type of meeting. There is never any positivity. If a manager is headed – more... your way, its never good. They never seem to have any praise to tell anyone, it is always negative, which sets an unpleasant mood for workers.
The hardest part if my job is dealing with that. If i had upbeat managers that understood how to co-exist with their employees, my job would be perfect(other than the low pay).
I have been told for the past 5 months that I would get to take my test to get my first raise, and then move onto a supervisor position.
At this point, i should be a supervisor, but I am still stuck at the basics because there is literally always an excuse as to why they cant sit down and help me fill out my paperwork(unfortunately, I need a managers time to complete the process). – less

1 2 3 4 5

About HMSHost

HMSHost is part of Autogrill S.p.A. – the world’s largest provider of food and beverage services for travelers. Along – Read more