HMSHost Employee Reviews

Terrible place to work.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON16 December 2016
Save your sanity and avoid this place. The management is garbage. They talk to you like you're stupid and belittle you. They have no people skills, and they find it extremely difficult to make one task run smooth. Don't expect to have a social life working here. Especially in the summer. 9-10 hr shifts is the norm. And they don't really care if you miss a break.
Pros
Friends
Cons
Poor management, poor pay
terrible place to work
Employee (Former Employee) –  Ontario16 December 2016
the management was garbage, didnt give me my time and a half pay for working all thanksgiving weekend, they charged me 30$ every two weeks for the shuttle when it says its free in the advertisements, constantly berated and yelled a for calling in sick, constantly running the store or 3 hours at a time by myself with no help pulled double shifts all the time, labor board did barely anything when they were called.. the co workers were great but dont bother working there its garbage.
Pros
good co workers
Cons
management issues.
stress
Team Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 December 2016
not fair management...

substandard
co-workers were ok but management doesn't know how to manage an employee...
they cut hours in your pay cheque.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
management sucks
Learn a lot, but very repetitive
F&B Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 December 2016
- You learn a lot about the food and service industry
- You manage a lot of different types of employees from different walks of life and different personalities s it makes managing challenging but fulfilling
-scheduling is horrible
-work/life balance could be better
Management is poor
Team Leader/Cashier/Barista (Former Employee) –  Dorval, QC24 November 2016
Fun place to work at.They expect you to work at other restaurants too. The management is very poor, as well as communication between colleagues.
management is terrible
Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON9 November 2016
worst place ever to work, lots of bullying by staff members, lots of favoritism by management, no respect all around, even complanining to head office does nothing
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
A nice place to work at.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 November 2016
The hours were a little bit tough for me. I am not an early morning person. It was fun dealing with a lot of different people. My co-workers made work fun.
Aweful
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Tilbury, ON10 September 2016
Short staffed and underpaid. negative environment. many of us cannot wait to leave. employees are a dime a dozen and not respected. management is not repectful or respected.
poor management
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON8 September 2016
HMS Host/Tim Hortons
Tim Hortons (Former Employee) –  Tilbury, ON1 September 2016
I loved working for HMS Host. I was a Tim Hortons employee and I worked there for almost 4 years. It taught me a lot about cash handling, food handling and customer service. The co-workers for the most part were awesome to work with. The hardest part of the job was when you had a difficult customer. The most enjoyable part was when the shift went smoothly and everyone got their jobs done while still having fun.
Pros
close to home
Cons
difficult customers
Management sucks
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 August 2016
I worked for HMS for over 5 months, my co workers were great but some general managers don't know how to treat employees.Once a general manager humiliated me when it was rush hour because he wants me to sweep the floor when it's rush hour. Also they get rid of part timers and only hiring full timers. Schedule sucks as well.
Pros
50% off discount of food
Cons
No flexible hours
Awful Experience All Around
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON26 July 2016
I was constantly working alone at a store with two different cashes (Yogen Fruz/Cinnabon) even on the busy days where there were lines out the door. I could only use one cash for Cinnabon and the other for Yogen Fruz so if customers wanted products from both I had to do two separate orders, which of course took more time. I kept asking for help on the busiest day (only one day a week) and in three months I got no help. I constantly went in for overtime and almost every time I was called in and I was still treated poorly, like everyone else.

The management was awful, to the point where two of the managers that were there when I was working, have now been fired. I was even chastised for switching shifts with a coworker when I had already worked 8 days in a row and was sick (with a fever and cough). I was then fired a few days later for calling in sick for the first time with no warnings or write ups.

The only benefit from this job was the work experience for my resume and the friends I made while I was working.
Pros
Good coworkers, easy to get job
Cons
long hours, bad management, low pay, lots of overtime, bad work environment
Good benefits bad wage
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 June 2016
Hard to work here with the culture and attitude most people have tons of advancement just hard to keep working here with so many different people. Hours are good and balanced benefits help alot
good for growing your experience and learning procedures
Manager at Palominos (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC31 May 2016
overall a decent place to work. Hms will teach you a lot about unionized environments. My management team is pretty good, but not all come from a hospitality job, so it can be challenging. hardest part of my job is remembering all the legalities, paper work and procedure that are set in place. as they are a little different to what i'm used to. most enjoyable part of my job is working in an airport. it is fast paced and most people are pretty happy considering they are traveling!
Pros
free food, paid vacation, benefits
Cons
not a family orientated environment
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 May 2016
During my six years of working there, I learned many things. The setting there felt like a family. The weekends were the best.
Pros
Meals
Cons
Excellent experience to take to my next job.
Food and Beverage Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC2 May 2016
Lots of training through the HR department. Lots or rules and regulations in place so you know what's expected from you. Daily routines in place. Labour relations training.
Pros
Free food, flexible when booking time off. Possible advancement if you relocate.
Cons
Long hours, no advancment
no pay
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 April 2016
I work there almost 2 month, still not pay me yet. so cheap this company. always short staff. not really follow timhorton standard. manchine not clear everyday. so dirty.
Terrible, illegal and stupid
Tims Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON10 April 2016
I worked for HMS host in south Cambridge, and i burned my whole right hand with a steeped tea kettle suffering permanent nerve damage and they swept it under the rug and fired me and ruled it as not following proper safety guidelines
Pros
Cons
Favourtisim, Greed, Lack of awareness, Union is garbage
Assistant F&B Manager
Assistant F&B Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON2 April 2016
Stores in charge: Starbucks, Thai Express, Extream Pita
Supervising the day-to-day activities of all non-management associates.
Assigning work responsibilities, prepares schedules, and ensures that all shifts are covered.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario17 March 2016
I enjoyed the employee's,I learned a lot of skills that I can now transfer to other employment. Didn't feel I could have a life outside of work.
Pros
staff

2.9