HMSHost

HMSHost Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Dust hazardous, neglected, forgotten about hours after my shift
Cashier (Former Employee), DorvalMarch 22, 2014
Pros: some very nice co-workers
I was very excited to be working at the airport.
But my first day I went home crying. The managers were incredibly rude, they did not have any kind of good feelings about anyone, everyone was considered a threat. I was told I was going to be selling sandwiches and drinks for a fancy restaurant ( outside of it ) and they put me in this corner, selling – more... 23$ sandwiches, 2 week old moldy cheese platters, and I got hospitalized for the amount of dust I was inhaling. Yes, I was dusting constantly during the day ( with paper towels, no duster was given), but the air was so bad that there was no catching up with it. I started having blood coming out of my ears, couldn't breathe and I told the management, nobody really bothered doing anything or looking into it. I worked there four months, made maybe 8$ a day at my booth and had no chair for my 8 hours ( sometimes 9 or 10, depending on when they decided to check me out to go home, I've been forgotten about several times ). I had customers complain to management to at least get me a chair but there was no chance of it. I was supposed to start with minimum wage but they messed up and somehow started me off at 8$ ( like the waitresses inside that made 200$ in tips everyday) and it took a few weeks for them to fix that. I also have been harassed and been called several things from customers for selling very old, WAY overpriced 3 slices of cheese and I really hated it. I would love to work at the airport again, but I will stay away from HMS. Please submit with caution, it truly was a horrible job with horrible management. Take advantage of being unionized.. I didn't.
This was a few years ago, maybe theres a chance things have changed, I very much hope so! – less
management are too young
cleaner (Former Employee), kingston ont canadaDecember 2, 2013
Pros: meeting interesting people from different countrys
Cons: terrible management, to many chiefs and not enough indians
i was a cleaner here from aug/13 to nov/13.never got my probation over.i am a 56 year old woman who loved this job so much.i met alot of nice customers who always came back.i was told right from the start not to mingle with anybody from the brands because i will get caught up in all the drama.well i did not listen.i had fun with anyone i talked too.i – more... got let go a few days before my probation.3 weeks later i find out it was because i apparently made sexual comments to other employees.well i should have listened the first time.i did no such thing to anyone there.99% of the employees are teens to in their early thirties.thats the age of my kids.dont think so.it takes something i said to some young kid to manifest it into something huge.management and staff are all around the same age.so whats that tell you.all their brains think alike.no matureity yet. – less
Tim Hortons
Hostess (Former Employee), VariousSeptember 19, 2013
Pros: some places pay for lunch break
Cons: no raises, no respect, talking down, bad mgmt.
I've worked many of these restaurants. Management is horrible . Pay is always low, at one place I had a store owner laugh at my face for asking for a raise on my third year. Favorites, short breaks, no respect and confrontation instead of constructed criticizes. If you are a glutton for punishment. You will work here.
Interesting job, able to meet so many people
Customer Relations Associate (Current Employee), Edmonton International AirportApril 3, 2013
Pros: free food
Meet and greet guests, make them comfortable. Nice place to work, with very nice colleagues.
unproductive, bad working environment
cashier (Current Employee), dorvalJanuary 31, 2013
Pros: insurance
Cons: short breaks, sometimes no breaks due to lack of staff, no advancement, little tips
I have worked for this company and i am very dissatisfied with poor mangement, careless supervisors and managers with bad attitudes. i am very frustrated with having to deal with co-workers with bad customer service. Managers change my schedule without advising me first and ask me to do jobs that are not part of my duties.
Great company with many career paths available.
Senior Director of Operations (Former Employee), Bethesda, MDSeptember 12, 2014
I was allowed to grow and develop my skills in multiple airport. I also experienced high volume and a fast paced environment.
During my career with HMSHost I was given many challenges from opening over 20 restaurants to developing many direct reports.
good at first than fell down hill
Cashier (Former Employee), Fort Myers, FLSeptember 5, 2014
worked here twice in my life and loved it the first time around but the second time I did not like it the manager was not understanding in life situations.
It was an enjoyable learning experience that introduced me to the world of the workforce.
Food Preparation (Former Employee), Forked River, NJAugust 28, 2014
I learned the ins and outs of a basic day of food preparation work, doing my best to please the customers and brighten their days by completing their orders in a timely and neat fashion. My co-workers were a pleasure to work with, as they were always supportive of my decisions, and would always make time to correct me if I performed one of my duties – more... incorrectly and show me the correct way to perform it. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the customers walk away with smiles on their faces and enjoying the food that I created for them; it gave me an unparalleled satisfaction that I would like to apply to a different line of work. I give my all to any job that I undertake, and I want to share that passion with any employer that is willing to give me the chance to show them that I can be a valuable asset to a company. – less
terrible
Retail Store Member/Stocker (Former Employee), Newark, DEAugust 26, 2014
all the cared about was sales and didnt have a good schedule, you barely got weekends off
This Job Is Okay
Cashier/Cook/Baker (Former Employee), Phelps, NYAugust 20, 2014
Pros: 50% off food/ drinks are free 24/7 depending on what you get.
Cons: food reg price cost anywhere from $4-7, work long hours for low pay
The management sucks but the co-workers were great. The job is a job ( fun, easy, and reliable) but, it can be hard if your co-workers dont work as a team. Very fast pace and have to be able to multi- task. Loved my job there. Hated the managers.
Could hardly stand it
Barista (Former Employee), VandaliaAugust 16, 2014
I left before even getting a new job because it was THAT bad. Horrible management. Some days I worked 9 hours and didn't get a break. Everyone was quitting so most days I worked alone. Sales were down so they punished the workers instead of giving incentives. I would not recommend this job to my worst enemy. I don't understand at all why people stay – more... here long term. They call off most days or just sit around. The managers will leave and go home and not tell you you'll be working alone the whole day. Just bad. Really bad. – less
fast paced work environment, keeps you moving
cash room clerk (Former Employee), New Baltimore, NYAugust 12, 2014
like every job has pros and cons... for the most part very upbeat place to work. The employees are fun and hard working.
A fun workplace, where you meet and come in contact with people from all over the world.
Supervisor (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNAugust 2, 2014
Pros: meeting new people.
Cons: it was very unpredictable.
I will come in and go and grab the money from the money room. assign each cashier a register, change the time of day on the broad. assign duties and positions. check temperature of all food and equipments, stock as needed. complete daily purchase ledgers. Ensure that we have orders for item that was order the previous day. store inventory, while placing – more... orders as needed. Assign breaks. Run the store according to sales, meaning. If it was a slow day and i had too many people working. I will usually send someone home. If it was a busy day. I would make sure that we are properly staffed. I also trained new employees, according to company policies. – less
Server job not worth the stress
Server (Current Employee), Orlando FLJuly 30, 2014
Pros: fun co-workers
Cons: everything!!
If I were you I would re-evaluate my options before applying for this company. I have been in the hospitality industry for 13 years and never have been treated the way this company treats everyone! I am a server at HMS host and work minimum wage (4.91 an hour) plus tips. After my shift is over, part of "sidework" is to sweep and mop the whole restaurant, – more... get on my hands and knees and scrub the walls, chairs, under tables etc.. In the end.. I'm still earning 4.91 an hour without tips to do this slave work! This is not including rolling 2-4 buckets of silver ware, breaking down stations. Managers are no where to be found (office, smoking etc. unless they need you to clean or fix something. There is huge favoritism. Two people who haven't finished their probational period.. are now full time!! You work more then 20 hours you get written up. How is that my problem. I don't do the schedule and or for keeping me for an additional 3 hours for side work. Company is unorganized and not structured!! Company is going down hill.. fast!!! – less
Calm,Collective and Enjoyable place to be.
Temp. Accounts Receivable Billing Processor (Former Employee), bethesdaJuly 9, 2014
I have had roughly about five years in the medical industry, so switching from a private facility to a corporate environment was a huge change. But, it was a change that I was willing to take. A typical day at the office includes totaling all billable media by location and customer type, reporting all overages and shortages on a weekly basis, mailing – more... all processed billable media and invoices to the assigned customers and recording package tracking information, and meeting a variety of weekly and period close deadlines.

My co-workers are wonderful and cheerful, and the job was not at all difficult. It is just very detailed oriented, but not difficult. Above all else I would have to say not dealing with people, sick people in particular. What I mean by not dealing with people does not mean my co-workers but working at a private practice I have dealt with a lot of different emotions from people who are pregnant, sick, cancer and so on, and not having to face that everyday was relaxing and enjoyable. I loved HMSHost, and everything they stand for. – less
great atmosphere
ACCOUNTANT (Current Employee), kansas cityJuly 1, 2014
Pros: free luches
Cons: no opportunity for advancement
great company, love the workers, management awesome, busy, pay bills, count cash
Top 10 Worst Places You Could Work For
Associate (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 1, 2014
Pros: it's a job
Cons: terrible upper management, favortism played, lazy co-workers, etc.
I have worked at a few companies in my lifetime and would consider myself well versed in regards to employers and HMSHost in Detroit Metro Airport definitely takes the cake for being one of the worst companies I've ever been able to witness firsthand.

How this company is still afloat is truly astonishing and I'll tell you why.

The upper management – more... here is extremely lazy and plays favoritism on a consistent basis. On an average day, they sit in their office and ask others to do their job for them. They have hired utilities crew members but yet ask their supervisors and other associates to do the majority of the work that they should be doing. They take the credit when things are going well, and are quick to blame and point the finger when things are off or aren't how they expect it to be.

This company is about to go through lay-offs at this location based on an article I just read and reading reviews regarding the brands/units this company has (soon to be had) it's extremely obvious why they're the laughing stock of the airport and weren't granted anymore units/brands to run into the ground.

Co-workers can be a joy to work with but even then, this company is so bad it creates a negative environment and vibe which results in tension and poor customer service being provided by us.

The best part about the job is the fact you get a paycheck, but if you're looking for even the slightest thing positive that extends beyond that, please take your hard work, positive energy, morals, and ethics elsewhere because this company will be the death of you and will truly make you question your character on a consistent basis. – less
this is a great job to work in
hostess (Current Employee), moresville,ncJune 28, 2014
Pros: free lunch /great supervisors
Cons: busy everyday lots of work
you get to meet new people every day learn new things.
a typical day working here would very busy and standing for long periods.
great management.
great atmosphere.
Great job
Barista at Starbucks I (Current Employee), Fort Myers, FloridaJune 15, 2014
I learn a lot from my job, my customer service level is better now
Horrible
Shift supervisor (Former Employee), Portland, ORMay 24, 2014
Pros: coworkers
Cons: management, scheduling, benefits, environment
Management treats you horribly and you get no appreciatation whatsoever. You'll love your coworkers but you'll hate going into work everyday. So if you like being treated like a human this is definitely not the place to work.

1 2 3 4 5

About HMSHost

HMSHost is part of Autogrill S.p.A. – the world’s largest provider of food and beverage services for travelers. Along – Read more