Highland Farms Employee Reviews in Canada

Formal employee
Store Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dufferin, ONMay 13, 2016
During my time at highland farm which I work at dufferin location for 11 years I was treated fairly by the managers their are alot ups and downs the only thing good working for highland farms I was there full time they never cut hours or laid off employees on the other hand Coppa's fresh Market is a commpany I will not recommend any one to go work there I was treated very unfair my the management and also HR the store is very disappointing and not well manage so take my advice do not go there you will be sorry they work you like dog they have no respect to their employees
Pros
No cut hours
Cons
Alot
sweat shop company
Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 28, 2016
you are treated like animal, no incentive programs , bonous , or recognition for employees. owners and his son dont even look at their employees and when you say goodmorning or hello they dont answer and they start giving problems to people. not recommended company to work for. is good for part time but NOT for full time.is just a job there is no career advancement.
Pros
non
Cons
stress stress stress
Good work environment, had a good experience.
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 3, 2016
A typical day consisted of filling stock, communicating with customers, managers, prioritizing which stock needed to be filled, reorganizing skids, facing isles and ends, creating end displays etc...
I learned good time management skills.
My co-workers were great.
Management was always organized.
Hardest part of my job was closing the store at night.
Most enjoyable part of my job was creating end cap displays.
Pros
Good workers
Cons
Random schedule
Positive and safe atmosphere
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJuly 13, 2016
It was very safe and bubble environment with amazing staff. I enjoy meeting customers needs by paying attention to detail and providing excellent customers service.
wasnt the best place i worked
Butcher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 23, 2015
Highland Farms is a privately owned business witch tends to make the job culture at that job highly stressful the owners are known to hire and fire for the simplest things. like me for example i had gotten sick with strep throat and since i had to miss more then a weeks worth they fired me with no explanation as to why.
Highland farms is a great store with wonderful people.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 20, 2016
Highland Farms is a great place to work.
Lovely atmosphere. Nice people. Customers are generally OK considering other demographics. The owners are friendly.
Pros
Lunch hour
Cons
The hours
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 14, 2016
A fast friendly place to work. Hardest part of the job was when there weren't stickers on items and you have to look them up.
Pros
Half hour lunch
Cons
Older equipment
far location but worth the money and free meals occasinally
Assembly Line Worker / Packer (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ONJune 29, 2015
It is hard but i found it difficult to get to work. i worked with different people as a packer and organizer. the hardest part of the job is standing the whole 10 hours but long breaks are provided and sometimes free meals.
Bakery
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 31, 2016
I worked at the Bakery Dept. on Mattheson and Hurontation for over a year ...It was great working there.... I really loved it! …. friendly environment, except for the owners, none of them even acknowledged their workers, most arrogant people ever, but nobody cared as the Bakery manager (my manager) was amazing!!! Even though she was very strict with how work needed to be done, but she was very good at helping us to be happy with our schedules and always was conscious of whom we were working with to ensure our shift was pleasant.... and we were always willing to go above and beyond in our tasks without her asking us…. But, when the Bakery Manager recently left… the place turned into a real nightmare… The main manager (or the one below the new big manager) is the worse… the man won’t pick up anything from the floor, but loves giving orders and will treat you like slave, completely unconscious of people’s needs or feelings, he has absolutely no manners to talk to people…. Many of us who were not thinking about quitting at all …. left …including me and others are desperately trying to leave…. Not only they are treating people bad, but they have added much more tasks to what a person can handle… they have reduced the shifts to avoid giving breaks, everybody is working under pressure and the stress level is unbearable… It is horrendous… they need someone to turn that place around and make it the nice place it used to be… sadly I highly doubt they will do something about it…. So good luck if you’re applying to work there, especially at the bakery dept.!
Pros
None at this time
Cons
Stress, Stress and Stress
One of the best grocery stores to shop at
Clerk (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 13, 2015
The department I worked in has a great manager. Very agreeable and very straight forward. I learned how to work independently, but also how to work in a team, and how to lead that team.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Long stretches of no work to do
slave driving company with a mind set of the 50's
store management (Former Employee) –  scarboroughApril 2, 2014
If you are looking to gain experience and knowledge in the field....this is not the place to do it. Owners are family and scared to try new ideas that have proven track record. The owners yell and belittle the staff every day.they even do it on the sales floor in front of customers!!! The management staff is not experienced and scared of the owners. People are always complaining. They make u sign an agreement that allows them to schedule you 60 hours a week!!!!!there are other places to work that will appreciate your abilities. They instill fear to get the work done. The culture is do it or else!!!
Pros
zero
Cons
everything i mentioned and then some...
Very friendly and productive place to work
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 13, 2012
When i worked at Highland Farms I would be working in both sections of the deli meat/cheese my main department was meat. I learned how to work in a very busy environment without getting overwhelmed. I also learned a lot of different types of meats and cheeses working there. The people i worked with were very friendly after a short while working there it kinda felt like family. The hardest part of my job there was probably dealing with customers that i couldnt really understand or just hard very bad manners, but working there also helped me with how to deal with that.
Pros
all the different types of meat
I encountered different kind of customer
Kitchen Helper / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 13, 2013
I'm working full time and with flexible schedule
I learned to mingle different kind of personality
Management are focused in thier customer
We enjoy working with each other
The hardest part when you went home 10:30pm closing time.
I enjoy in talking with different customer as practise of customer service relationship
Pros
when i finished my job everyday
Cons
long hours of standing
The job was easy
Lot Attendant (Former Employee) –  50 Matheson Blvd EMarch 16, 2013
The job was easy but sometimes in the middle of the day there wouldn't be a lot of customers, so there was not a lot to do and it got boring standing around. So i would have to walk around the store and pick up garbage which sometimes wasn't there at all. Overall the management and the co-workers were all good people but i just could not stay there because i needed something to do constantly.
Pros
cheaper lunches
Cons
not enough work
Slicing products in the machines & serve what costumers needed.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 12, 2012
I work 40 hours a week in this company.I learned how to work independently,I learned how to be well organized. I learned how to deal with people at all levels specially the needs of difficult costumers.I learned to be more patient. l build a strong communication skills .We have a good salary & benefits.It's fun working with my co-workers because they are so nice & very helpful. Its been hard for me when I was new in this company because I have to memorized all the cold cuts products and slice in the machine & served to the costumers but after I learn everything about it I already enjoyed it specially dealing with costumers and hearing from them a nice words like they are very satisfied about my service.
Pros
points card
Cons
full time
we have good relationsjip to our co-workers
Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  highway 10 and watline drNovember 28, 2013
Even the time and schedule are going to workplace, we are happy see each other.Even though minimum wages and this is my first job in ontario seen i been in here.if you have a problem we got solve it not personally.I;ll be resign my job because i found a good oppotunity to work in other place and bigger salary rates.
Pros
no pay in lunch and breaktime
Cons
9 hours works
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 12, 2013
Typical day at work is pretty much just pur stuff out like fruits and vegetables. Learned how This Company wanted stuff to be put out properly. management was ok i guess. Co-workers where great very respectful. Hardest part would probably have to be When there was nothing to do. Most enjoyable part was When it was almost time to go home.
Pros
2 total breaks 1 lunch
Cons
when there's nothing to do.
learn new things
FT Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 5, 2013
as a new immigrant, i have learnt a lots of new things here such as canadian way of communication, life style, different cultures etc. very tiring job with lots of responsiblity, tough rules and regulations. nice co workers. very flexible schedule. cannot afford to a second job with that job. financial security.
Pros
financial security, nice co workers
Cons
not very good schedule
do it only if you absolutely have to.
Produce (Former Employee) –  VaughnMarch 29, 2013
Visit the punch clock 8 times a day .....lol. Owners walk around the stores looking over your shoulder. Was hired for one position and ended up doing another. Have to pay for your own uniform. Pay is obviously low because its a grocery store. Maybe things have changed since, who knows.
Pros
nice clean environment, co-workers were nice
hard work but i like
Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONSeptember 27, 2013
being a meat cutter is not a easy job but your always learning.
the hard part of the job is when there so much cutting all day.
but when you work with good group of people like i do its not so bad
the best part about working at highland farms is we joke around alot
with my co workers we have alot fun. my manager help us out when we need it.

2.9