Highland Farms Employee Reviews in Canada

Bakery
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 31, 2016
I worked at the Bakery Dept. on Mattheson and Hurontation for over a year ...It was great working there.... I really loved it! …. friendly environment, except for the owners, none of them even acknowledged their workers, most arrogant people ever, but nobody cared as the Bakery manager (my manager) was amazing!!! Even though she was very strict with how work needed to be done, but she was very good at helping us to be happy with our schedules and always was conscious of whom we were working with to ensure our shift was pleasant.... and we were always willing to go above and beyond in our tasks without her asking us…. But, when the Bakery Manager recently left… the place turned into a real nightmare… The main manager (or the one below the new big manager) is the worse… the man won’t pick up anything from the floor, but loves giving orders and will treat you like slave, completely unconscious of people’s needs or feelings, he has absolutely no manners to talk to people…. Many of us who were not thinking about quitting at all …. left …including me and others are desperately trying to leave…. Not only they are treating people bad, but they have added much more tasks to what a person can handle… they have reduced the shifts to avoid giving breaks, everybody is working under pressure and the stress level is unbearable… It is horrendous… they need someone to turn that place around and make it the nice place it used to be… sadly I highly doubt they will do something about it…. So good luck if you’re applying to work there, especially at the bakery dept.!
Pros
None at this time
Cons
Stress, Stress and Stress
Formal employee
Store Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dufferin, ONMay 13, 2016
During my time at highland farm which I work at dufferin location for 11 years I was treated fairly by the managers their are alot ups and downs the only thing good working for highland farms I was there full time they never cut hours or laid off employees on the other hand Coppa's fresh Market is a commpany I will not recommend any one to go work there I was treated very unfair my the management and also HR the store is very disappointing and not well manage so take my advice do not go there you will be sorry they work you like dog they have no respect to their employees
Pros
No cut hours
Cons
Alot
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 14, 2016
A fast friendly place to work. Hardest part of the job was when there weren't stickers on items and you have to look them up.
Pros
Half hour lunch
Cons
Older equipment
Good work environment, had a good experience.
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 3, 2016
A typical day consisted of filling stock, communicating with customers, managers, prioritizing which stock needed to be filled, reorganizing skids, facing isles and ends, creating end displays etc...
I learned good time management skills.
My co-workers were great.
Management was always organized.
Hardest part of my job was closing the store at night.
Most enjoyable part of my job was creating end cap displays.
Pros
Good workers
Cons
Random schedule
no fun at all
grocer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 4, 2016
its terrible, no chance of advancement at all. I haven't learned anything there. they do not treat co workers well. Very unsanitary.
wasnt the best place i worked
Butcher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 23, 2015
Highland Farms is a privately owned business witch tends to make the job culture at that job highly stressful the owners are known to hire and fire for the simplest things. like me for example i had gotten sick with strep throat and since i had to miss more then a weeks worth they fired me with no explanation as to why.
Good Place to Work Full-Time
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 19, 2015
Highland Farms is a rarity when it comes to retail. Very few places hire full-time staff exclusively, so obtaining a job at Highland Farms is a blessing in disguise and a lot of people take it for granted.

A typical day at work begins by being greeted by management as soon as you walk in the door or as soon as they see you. After changing into your uniform and punching in for shift, the rest of the shift involves assisting customers locate product and filling the shelves with product.

What I learned at Highland Farms is that knowing everything you can about your workplace and what it offers to customers (in this case, grocery products) can go a very long way in offering excellent customer service because customers will be able to locate product quickly.

Both management and co-workers are polite and are always there to help each other out when needed. Management, in particular, are very reasonable when it comes to personal requests, such as time off, hours of availability, etc. They are usually understanding and accommodating.

As with most retail and customer service jobs, both the best and worst parts of the job are the customers themselves. In general, most customers are polite, patient and understanding. It's always a bonus when assisting pleasant customers because they can make the day that much better and easier to work through. There are also a few customers that are near impossible to please no matter how good the service they are given is and there are a few who take product and don't pay for it. Overall, though, customers are a pleasure to interact with and
  more... since most customers are pleasant, they make you quickly forget the unpleasant ones.  less
Pros
Paid rest periods (excluding meal breaks); easygoing atmosphere; pleasant customers
Cons
The scheduling can be exhausting at times and for employees taking transportation, the shifts on the weekends can be a challenge as well.
far location but worth the money and free meals occasinally
Assembly Line Worker / Packer (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ONJune 29, 2015
It is hard but i found it difficult to get to work. i worked with different people as a packer and organizer. the hardest part of the job is standing the whole 10 hours but long breaks are provided and sometimes free meals.
One of the best grocery stores to shop at
Clerk (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 13, 2015
The department I worked in has a great manager. Very agreeable and very straight forward. I learned how to work independently, but also how to work in a team, and how to lead that team.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Long stretches of no work to do
Family
Dairy Manager (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 30, 2015
Having the assistant store manager as a family relative of the owners, generated a lot of negativity in the workplace as I felt more comfortable departing this company.
Pros
management experience
Cons
work environment
fun and experience gaining job
cashier (Former Employee) –  dufferin and finchSeptember 2, 2014
my typical days been always fun at work because I love to have face to face interact with customers and meet people of different ethnicity and diversity. I learned a lot from different situations and strategies at my work places. those experiences gained me a lot of self confident of handling situations, experience of handling my duties in more proficient and efficient ways, earned the experience of obtaining customers satisfactions especially those which are a bite critical in whatever ways they get the service.
the hardest part of the job was some time when u see customers are in a very upset situation and you can help them fully because of company rules and the enjoyable part for me was when I m been able to solve their problem at whatever position I was but if it was beyond my limitations I always get them to my supervisor in charge who could handle their problem and satisfaction in professional ways. I got so much good feed backs and customer`s satisfaction for being helpful and attentive to their need.
slave driving company with a mind set of the 50's
store management (Former Employee) –  scarboroughApril 2, 2014
If you are looking to gain experience and knowledge in the field....this is not the place to do it. Owners are family and scared to try new ideas that have proven track record. The owners yell and belittle the staff every day.they even do it on the sales floor in front of customers!!! The management staff is not experienced and scared of the owners. People are always complaining. They make u sign an agreement that allows them to schedule you 60 hours a week!!!!!there are other places to work that will appreciate your abilities. They instill fear to get the work done. The culture is do it or else!!!
Pros
zero
Cons
everything i mentioned and then some...
Assistant Grocery Manager
Assistant Grocery Manager (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJanuary 26, 2014
The grocery department is very engaging with a lot of variety of products to manage.
friendly work enviroment
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  mississaugaJanuary 21, 2014
working individually and with co - workers was a good work experience .
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 12, 2013
Typical day at work is pretty much just pur stuff out like fruits and vegetables. Learned how This Company wanted stuff to be put out properly. management was ok i guess. Co-workers where great very respectful. Hardest part would probably have to be When there was nothing to do. Most enjoyable part was When it was almost time to go home.
Pros
2 total breaks 1 lunch
Cons
when there's nothing to do.
we have good relationsjip to our co-workers
Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  highway 10 and watline drNovember 28, 2013
Even the time and schedule are going to workplace, we are happy see each other.Even though minimum wages and this is my first job in ontario seen i been in here.if you have a problem we got solve it not personally.I;ll be resign my job because i found a good oppotunity to work in other place and bigger salary rates.
Pros
no pay in lunch and breaktime
Cons
9 hours works
no place to grow
Bakery clerk (Former Employee) –  North york ONNovember 24, 2013
Fun to work with co-workers. No place to grow.Management is mean. Hardest part of the job is carrying heavy loads.
I encountered different kind of customer
Kitchen Helper / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 13, 2013
I'm working full time and with flexible schedule
I learned to mingle different kind of personality
Management are focused in thier customer
We enjoy working with each other
The hardest part when you went home 10:30pm closing time.
I enjoy in talking with different customer as practise of customer service relationship
Pros
when i finished my job everyday
Cons
long hours of standing
slave wages when all is said and done
manager (Former Employee) –  Dufferin, MapleNovember 12, 2013
how they have not been shut down amazes me. Long hours, no time off, treated with contempt, no communication, hourly staff run scared, management are abused.
Cons
still 1963
It was a very enjoyable and knowledgeable company to work for until the separation took place.
Assistant Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  4750 Dufferin streetOctober 11, 2013
Pros
gained wide range of knowledge product wide
Cons
change of work environment, lack of loyalty