Highland Farms Employee Reviews

sweat shop company
Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 June 2016
you are treated like animal, no incentive programs , bonous , or recognition for employees. owners and his son dont even look at their employees and when you say goodmorning or hello they dont answer and they start giving problems to people. not recommended company to work for. is good for part time but NOT for full time.is just a job there is no career advancement.
Pros
non
Cons
stress stress stress
Formal employee
Store Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dufferin, ON13 May 2016
During my time at highland farm which I work at dufferin location for 11 years I was treated fairly by the managers their are alot ups and downs the only thing good working for highland farms I was there full time they never cut hours or laid off employees on the other hand Coppa's fresh Market is a commpany I will not recommend any one to go work there I was treated very unfair my the management and also HR the store is very disappointing and not well manage so take my advice do not go there you will be sorry they work you like dog they have no respect to their employees
Pros
No cut hours
Cons
Alot
Good Job
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 February 2017
It is a good job, we get along and it is balanced with work and home it is a pleasure. Not too many issues, schedualing good.
wasnt the best place i worked
Butcher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 November 2015
Highland Farms is a privately owned business witch tends to make the job culture at that job highly stressful the owners are known to hire and fire for the simplest things. like me for example i had gotten sick with strep throat and since i had to miss more then a weeks worth they fired me with no explanation as to why.
Good work environment, had a good experience.
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 February 2016
A typical day consisted of filling stock, communicating with customers, managers, prioritizing which stock needed to be filled, reorganizing skids, facing isles and ends, creating end displays etc...
I learned good time management skills.
My co-workers were great.
Management was always organized.
Hardest part of my job was closing the store at night.
Most enjoyable part of my job was creating end cap displays.
Pros
Good workers
Cons
Random schedule
slave driving company with a mind set of the 50's
store management (Former Employee) –  scarborough2 April 2014
If you are looking to gain experience and knowledge in the field....this is not the place to do it. Owners are family and scared to try new ideas that have proven track record. The owners yell and belittle the staff every day.they even do it on the sales floor in front of customers!!! The management staff is not experienced and scared of the owners. People are always complaining. They make u sign an agreement that allows them to schedule you 60 hours a week!!!!!there are other places to work that will appreciate your abilities. They instill fear to get the work done. The culture is do it or else!!!
Pros
zero
Cons
Everything I mentioned and then some...
Bakery
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON31 May 2016
I worked at the Bakery Dept. on Mattheson and Hurontation for over a year ...It was great working there.... I really loved it! …. friendly environment, except for the owners, none of them even acknowledged their workers, most arrogant people ever, but nobody cared as the Bakery manager (my manager) was amazing!!! Even though she was very strict with how work needed to be done, but she was very good at helping us to be happy with our schedules and always was conscious of whom we were working with to ensure our shift was pleasant.... and we were always willing to go above and beyond in our tasks without her asking us…. But, when the Bakery Manager recently left… the place turned into a real nightmare… The main manager (or the one below the new big manager) is the worse… the man won’t pick up anything from the floor, but loves giving orders and will treat you like slave, completely unconscious of people’s needs or feelings, he has absolutely no manners to talk to people…. Many of us who were not thinking about quitting at all …. left …including me and others are desperately trying to leave…. Not only they are treating people bad, but they have added much more tasks to what a person can handle… they have reduced the shifts to avoid giving breaks, everybody is working under pressure and the stress level is unbearable… It is horrendous… they need someone to turn that place around and make it the nice place it used to be… sadly I highly doubt they will do something about it…. So good luck if you’re applying to work there, especially at the bakery dept.!
Pros
None at this time
Cons
Stress, Stress and Stress
I encountered different kind of customer
Kitchen Helper / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 November 2013
I'm working full time and with flexible schedule
I learned to mingle different kind of personality
Management are focused in thier customer
We enjoy working with each other
The hardest part when you went home 10:30pm closing time.
I enjoy in talking with different customer as practise of customer service relationship
Pros
when I finished my job everyday
Cons
long hours of standing
no fun at all
grocer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 January 2016
its terrible, no chance of advancement at all. I haven't learned anything there. they do not treat co workers well. Very unsanitary.
Slicing products in the machines & serve what costumers needed.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 November 2012
I work 40 hours a week in this company.I learned how to work independently,I learned how to be well organized. I learned how to deal with people at all levels specially the needs of difficult costumers.I learned to be more patient. l build a strong communication skills .We have a good salary & benefits.It's fun working with my co-workers because they are so nice & very helpful. Its been hard for me when I was new in this company because I have to memorized all the cold cuts products and slice in the machine & served to the costumers but after I learn everything about it I already enjoyed it specially dealing with costumers and hearing from them a nice words like they are very satisfied about my service.
Pros
points card
Cons
full time
slave wages when all is said and done
manager (Former Employee) –  Dufferin, Maple12 November 2013
how they have not been shut down amazes me. Long hours, no time off, treated with contempt, no communication, hourly staff run scared, management are abused.
Pros
Cons
still 1963
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 February 2016
A fast friendly place to work. Hardest part of the job was when there weren't stickers on items and you have to look them up.
Pros
Half hour lunch
Cons
Older equipment
The job was easy
Lot Attendant (Former Employee) –  50 Matheson Blvd E16 March 2013
The job was easy but sometimes in the middle of the day there wouldn't be a lot of customers, so there was not a lot to do and it got boring standing around. So i would have to walk around the store and pick up garbage which sometimes wasn't there at all. Overall the management and the co-workers were all good people but i just could not stay there because i needed something to do constantly.
Pros
cheaper lunches
Cons
not enough work
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 December 2013
Typical day at work is pretty much just pur stuff out like fruits and vegetables. Learned how This Company wanted stuff to be put out properly. management was ok i guess. Co-workers where great very respectful. Hardest part would probably have to be When there was nothing to do. Most enjoyable part was When it was almost time to go home.
Pros
2 total breaks 1 lunch
Cons
When there's nothing to do.
we have good relationsjip to our co-workers
Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  highway 10 and watline dr28 November 2013
Even the time and schedule are going to workplace, we are happy see each other.Even though minimum wages and this is my first job in ontario seen i been in here.if you have a problem we got solve it not personally.I;ll be resign my job because i found a good oppotunity to work in other place and bigger salary rates.
Pros
no pay in lunch and breaktime
Cons
9 hours works
learn new things
FT Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 June 2013
as a new immigrant, i have learnt a lots of new things here such as canadian way of communication, life style, different cultures etc. very tiring job with lots of responsiblity, tough rules and regulations. nice co workers. very flexible schedule. cannot afford to a second job with that job. financial security.
Pros
financial security, nice co workers
Cons
not very good schedule
Would Never Work for Highland Farms ever again!
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Mississauga Location27 August 2013
In a very short time frame, the people seemed very disorganized and always complaining about the money they make or to much work.

The human resources gives you the benefit package not the greatest compared to other companies and provides no guidance.

The office enviroment had to many chiefs and not enough indians if you know what I mean. Everyone wanted to be someone with no hard work except complaining and looking out for their jobs.

In the grocery store the owners walk around over looking everything and if something is wrong they will scream.

They will not pay any over time and if you take breaks for doctor's or emergencies they will deduct your pay.

Good luck to all future employees be aware of your surroundings. If you really need a pay cheque this is a good place to start until another opportunity comes along.
Pros
Paid weekly no other pros
Cons
To many to list ... lol
Family
Dairy Manager (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON30 January 2015
Having the assistant store manager as a family relative of the owners, generated a lot of negativity in the workplace as I felt more comfortable departing this company.
Pros
Management experience
Cons
Work environment
the whole store is a very good working area...big, bright,clean, quiet....
Cake Decorator & Pastry Chef (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON3 August 2012
I can have my own creation.
The company provides us a set of clean uniform everyday.
We have a bright & clean working place.
Pros
wide and clean working place
Cons
a lot of politics, none of social activities
Not a good place to work if you are to be considered for any future growth
Deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 April 2012
Working at Highland Farms was the must ungratifing the management for each department was not trained properly and plays on favouritism this company has no idea what the word professional means.

2.8