HGS Canada Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
They were dishonest about perks
Customer service/support (Former Employee), Barrie, ONOctober 25, 2015
Pros: Better than nothing
Cons: Minimum wage, undelivered commssions, bonuses and incentives
I was ok with the minimum pay, since there were incentives and bonuses discussed in the interview, that I figured would help make this job deliver more.

The problem is - they do not follow up. They were always several months behind in paying commissions or bonuses, and if you were on leave or had enough (it is not a fun job) and applied elsewhere, they would not give you the incentives promised.

In other words, the minimum wage for a stressful job? That is ALL your are going to get. Don't say you weren't warned.
Overall good place to work for
Sales/Customer Service Agent (Former Employee), Barrie, ONOctober 22, 2015
Pros: Great people
Cons: Call centre
HGS is a call centre and it is all the same stuff. I enjoyed working there just simply because of the people. We were like one big family.
I ran into a situation a while back where I became homeless and missed a lot of time off work. I was also involved in an accident where I injured my knee. They were completely supportive and always there for me. They genuinely care about their employees. I miss working there only because of the people. I had left because I moved.
Steady job
Small Business Wireless Customer Service Rep (Current Employee), Barrie, ONOctober 11, 2015
Pros: lots of incentives
busy, fun, fast paced and sometimes stressful. Great staff that make it enjoyable to go to work. Lots of added incentives that make the job really worth it
Amazing
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Montague, PEIOctober 3, 2015
Amazing job just very stressful to some people. Awesome benefits and friendly work environment. During the time I worked there I had witnessed my fathers girlfriend commit suicide. Everyone at HGS was very supportive during this and the company allowed me to go on leave after being there for less then a month. They were extremely understanding and I appreciated everything they've done for me more then anything. They have also given me multiple bonuses during my time there (usually $150-$250) which made working hard at my job more motivating. The way they treat you, the benefits, and how understanding everyone is made my time at this job a great experience. I think anyone who is in need of an easy to do, easy to get job, then they should go to HGS as, yes it is stressful to work at a call centre, but the benefits out way the cons to me.
great co-workers
Lead associate for business wireless dept (Current Employee), Barrie, ONSeptember 21, 2015
Pros: people
Cons: management
Management at this company is very lazy and only promote who they want not who is best for the job. Job can be very rewarding but can also be very stressful.
Dealing with a variety of people. Must have patience, and empathy.
Stressfull job but good people
Fido Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Pembroke, ONSeptember 7, 2015
All management and HR at the location I worked at where very supportive and friendly and they had to be because the job it's self was absolutely terrible, customer service where you where guaranteed to be yelled at in one out of five calls and metrics that where almost impossible to meet. If you have a thick skin an little faith in humanity it's a job for you otherwise steer clear.
Call Center
Care Loyalty Agent (Current Employee), Barrie, OntarioAugust 12, 2015
Very busy, fast paced, Scheduling was horrible, managment did not care with assisting in situations, Interaction with customers the whole time.
Call Centre
Customer Relations Agent (Former Employee), Dartmouth, NSAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Company BBQs, Fruit Wednesday and lot of people (clients) to talk with. Co Workers are great support
Cons: Absentee Management, Scheduling Requirements not Honored
The co-workers were the best part about this job and made it bearable. A typical day was I'd come in a half hour early to get my station set up and logged in, made sure there weren't any systems down. I'd go to the bathroom and get settled in for a day of incoming calls. The people were always a surprise, as you never knew who would be calling in, or what they'd say to you. Some were worse than others, and having a customer who doesn't or won't understand an explanation for their problem was probably the second hardest part of the job. The first hardest would be the absentee management and the heavy use of a scorecard to determine almost everything, from shifts given and if scheduling would be honored or not.

They do not tell you this in the training, and the systems used to train the workers are horrifically outdated compared to what they are expected to use on the main floor.

During my time at HGS Canada, I learned a lot about both myself and my fellow agents. It helped me develop a thicker skin and work effectively while under pressure. It also taught me how to multi-task a lot more efficiently, as I had to constantly be making notes on a client's account while talking to them and managing different open windows on the computer screen. The best part though, was that it taught me how to think on my feet and to do so accurately. It was a real sink or swim environment and it is not for everyone, but I feel that those who go in and can make it past the first few weeks out of training, will come out with the ability to project confidence to another, even if they aren't – more... really all that certain of themselves. – less
RUN THIS PLACE IS HORRIBLE
CRA (Former Employee), Windsor ONAugust 2, 2015
Pros: Meetings, Adhoc
Cons: Pay, Management, Schedule, Lies
Horrible company to work for the management is horrible with an exception of a few. The pay is brutal for back to back calls all day, you will be cross trained to work 3 different departments with no pay increase and to top it all your schedule is against every HGS which means you will never get a good shift and you possibly could be put on reduced hours. This company will promise you the world and deliver you herpes.... Stay away, go to Sutherland because compared to here that place was amazing.
Not sorry to "escape" from there
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Dartmouth, NSJuly 31, 2015
Pros: nice co-workers
Cons: everything else
Tipical third party call centre. Really bad, confused management. Co-workers have been nice, but overall atmosphere of pressure does not make it nice place to work at.
Productive, and very professional work enviroment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Barrie ONJuly 20, 2015
Pros: Supportive staff, free events, free lunches
Cons: Not alot of interactions with other departments in the building
A typical day at work included answering calls for Rogers customers in the Business wireless department. I took payments, payment arrangements, completed hardware upgrades, made sales, and applied credits to accounts that needed them.
What I learned was how to deal with irate and irrational customers in a calm and collective manor.
The management was fantastic, very professional, and always willing to help employees when they could.
The hardest part of the job was getting used to being yelled at by irate customers every day.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the work environment and my co-workers, it felt like a family and everyone was trying to help everyone else when they could.
With this low pay, the incentives SHOULD always be delivered. They aren't.
Customer Care Associate (Former Employee), Barrie, OnJuly 19, 2015
Pros: It'd a short term job while you can stand it
Cons: Poor training, high stress extremely delayed/unpaid incentives, unfair scheduling practices
FOUR Big Problems: Poor Training, High Stress, extremely Delayed/Unpaid Incentives, Unfair Scheduling practices

Training.
What you are told in training about the wonderful company is just smoke. It is a minimum wage job where people quit every day. Training does prepare you for what you face on the job,mostly because the training computers have no access to systems to practice. So expect to be extremely stressed and watch your trainig buddies quit daily. On the job training is designed to force you to learn or drown... floor support could help, but are rarely available.Awful!

High Stress
Imagine trying to serve a customer using 4 different software (that often crash) while the support staff is ignoring you or telling you to read the ridiculously complicated 2000 article help website. They leave you hanging - and essentially cause you to leave your customer hanging. Ridiculous!

Unpaid Incentives
It's pretty cheap of a company to promise all these great benefits in training, and then not deliver once your are on the floor.

A few of us worked major over time over Christmas and Holidays.. and months later - still no bonus. Now we are told if we quit (which we all want to do) we will never get the bonus.

So do not count on any bonuses on top of the minimum wage!

Unpaid commissions... referral fees
There are suppose to be commissions for sales you make and for referrals. But the delay is months and months later (they know you will quit). So basically forget adding commissions and referral bonuses - you never see them.

WORST - Unfair scheduling practices
 – more...
The few of use who stuck it out to get trained in another line of business all went through a hellish experience, only to lose our scheduling preferences - which were all reset to nil. I saw grown men and women cry.

Conclusion.
Management does not care. Stress is your problem, not theirs. Bonuses, incentives and commissions do not come and attendance is not rewarded with a good schedule since they revoke your priority as soon as you make any upgrades to your training..

If you read this and go work there. Well, I tried to warn you. – less
Horrible place to work, I do not recommend at all!
Internet Tech Support (Former Employee), BarrieJuly 14, 2015
Pros: Hobestly nothing
Cons: Unhelpful training, rude customers, favourtism, unorganized, low pay
First of all, the training was such a joke. I didn't learn a thing so the first day on the phones was overly stressful. The floor support would only let you ask them a question if you put the customer on hold and believe me, there are numerous questions per call. I muted the phone once to ask a quick question because I had already put the customer on hold 3 times but floor support refused to help me.

The systems were always crashing.. in the middle of calls meaning you have to start your notes all over. Your scheduling is based off your score. Meaning if you're on time going for breaks, call length, if a customer you helped calls back within 7 days with the same problem, hold time, and the amount of time you spend making notes after a call. Knowing you're being scored and you only get good shift picks if you have a high score is unneeded stress added to the already stressful bs you deal with there.

Customers are really ignorant. They act like you're the one that made their Internet not work and half of them don't know how to do anything when you're trying to troubleshoot with them. It's a very tedious job. If you don't know anything about troubleshooting Internet, macs, helping them with email problems, and much more, I highly suggest you don't go into Internet tech support. Believe me, the training doesn't help at all. And not like they give you a decision which department you want to work in. That one is always in the highest demand so chances are they will put you there anyway.

They make it seem like a rewarding place to work but don't be fooled. The turn around – more... is very high and they are constantly hiring.. that should say a lot. After my first day on the phones I was done with that place. I completed the three weeks of training and after that I was still unable to log in and see my schedule. I was constantly asking about it and they kept telling me they sent support tickets for it but nothing changed.

I heard mixed reviews before working there so I thought hey, I'll give it a shot. Big mistake! Try to find something else before ever working there. – less
Great Workplace to meet new people
Customer Services Representative (Former Employee), North Bay, ONJuly 8, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: exhausting hours when you have little ones
HGS is an over all good place to work, I would suggest you have very good verbal skills along with being sympathetic and empathetic. Those are some of the main factors to keep your customers happy and satisfied. I also met several good friends by working with HGS.
and one more thing HGS does their best to help suit your needs, very understanding!
Good enough for a call centre
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), BellevilleJune 28, 2015
Pros: Incentives
Cons: Its a call centre
Best call centre in the Belleville area, you're treated like a person and not just a number. The hours a reasonable and its easy to switch to get days off without a hassle
Great working environment with opportunity to grow.
Customer Care (Former Employee), Windsor, ONJune 23, 2015
Pros: Great atmosphere, Friendly co-workers, knowledgeable staff, superb training
Cons: Stressful a lot of the time, Pay did not seem high enough for what we had to do.
It was a great experience for me. Loved my trainer and once I made it onto the production floor, I was welcomed with open arms and they did everything they could to make sure we knew our stuff and were comfortable. Co-workers were wonderful, met some truly caring people there. The only reason I left was because I just wasn't a fit for this type of job.
good workplace
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), DartmouthJune 16, 2015
Working here you find out what you are made out of. This job isn't for everyone, however if you love people and are able to handle stressful situations then this is a good job for you.
Good Full Time Work, Stressful Environment
Customer Service Representative- FIDO (Current Employee), Pembroke, ONJune 15, 2015
Pros: Free lunches, Full Time Hours and Benefits
Cons: Stressful Environment, People skills are an absolute must.
To be honest, HGS is not all bad like most would say. It all comes down to your management staff. my experience overall I would say was very positive. met many new friends there and also was able to save up a lot through having full time hours and also cut costs with what is covered under the benefits. if anyone is looking to apply I would recommend it,
nice place
Customer Relations Associate (Current Employee), Dartmouth, NSJune 11, 2015
people around are very helpful and are always there for us. the team leaders are exceptional.
people should be mentally prepared to work in a call center and handle all customer issues with a smile on their face which sometimes becomes difficult.
Customer Service Representative
Inbound Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Barrie, ONJune 10, 2015
answering calls for cable and wireless products and billing questions, you are hired as a representative and no selling and when hired you are to sell the products. My co-workers are pleasure to work with