HGS Canada Employee Reviews

Morale very low
Lead Associate/Customer Relations Associate (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON25 January 2017
Lacked consistency , great benefit package , recognition not given , senority not recognized , sales not paid out or excuses made as too why sales weren't paid out, poor management
Pros
free lunches, barbecues and get togethers
Cons
poor management
Quit to go work at Tims
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS22 January 2017
A day at HGS was always on the phone with Rogers customer. Handling complains, billing, adding new products or removing services. The hardest part was I felt that I was not properly train or familiar with all those new cell phones which I was suppose to promote. It was very stressful. The most enjoyable was when a customer called with a billing issue. I loved working with numbers.
Pros
Some customers were very rude and it was very stressful
Cons
The hours were good and the benefits
Nice employees
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON11 January 2017
Was a very nice place to work at first, after about 6 months the management became very rude, and then started to ignore all the problems that were happen at work. Hardest part would of been when they switched us to another company and they just wanted us to know what to do without any training. Best part about working there would have been the fact that at the beginning they were very nice and understanding about employees needing flexible work hours.
Pros
We could take little breaks at any time we needed
Cons
very poor support when needed
Fun work environment.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON7 January 2017
Fun work environment, also very stressful because of customers complaints. During training often didn't have a training environment to practice with which made the live environment very stressful.
Pros
Break room with air hockey
Cons
stressful environment (customer calls)
Fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON1 January 2017
The coworkers are amazing, management included. The hours are long. Not much else to say. It is a good job for the correct person.
Pros
Good people
Cons
long hours upset customers
Enjoyed most of the work
Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Petawawa, ON21 December 2016
The job it self was ok, but when you first start its hard because they put you on all nights until 2am. This dont work well for those who have kids at home and come from a military family whos spouse is deployed lots. I spent more on daycare then I was making.
Not a great place to work
Customer care (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON10 December 2016
The management was very poor, everyday was a struggle with trying to get computer problems fixed and having to wait hours for someone to come take a look at the systems to fix them mean while I'm not getting payed if i cant log into the system.
Excellent Full Time Employment Options
Business Wireless Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON14 November 2016
I worked at hgs for over a year and I much enjoyed my time there, There benefits program is excellent for full time employment, coworkers were and management were always friendly. If you find you are a people person and have great multitasking skills this job is perfect for you
You do get good benefits, but thats really it.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON29 October 2016
Hgs really is only a job you should go for if you absolutely need a job and have no choice. They pay you just over minimum wage, and you don't ever get any raises.

My first week out of ojt, when I needed help, there was next to no support, and when the support came, they were very rude.
The team leaders were pretty nice because you got to talk to them everyday, but, HR would never respond to your emails, and if you ever saw them on the floor, they told you they were busy and you had to email them.....

Upper management is the worst, they look at you like your just a grunt, and that you're easily replaceable. You get hounded at if your not making the goals they set out, example, call handle time, transfer rate, sales, etc....worst of the bunch is the transfer rate, I was in the cell phone department, and half the calls that come in were for cable or internet, obviously I have to transfer them to the right team so they could get help, hence my higher transfer rate, but management didn't care.

You also get hounded at for schedule compliance. For example, if my 15 break is at 10:30am, I'm supposed to take it at that time, that makes sense, but, if I have a call around 10:20 and it takes me until 10:50, management expects you not to take your break because it's not at the scheduled time, and if you do take your break at 10:50, they get mad at you.

Pay sucks, because it's barely over minimum, and there is never any raises no matter how long you've worked there unless you get promoted, but even that rarely happens.

Only good thing about this place is the benefits,
  more... benefits are pretty good.

Bottom line, pay sucks, management will probably hate you, customers hate you because your the one that answered the phone, next to no support when you need it, systems crash regulary and its somehow your fault, benefits are nice
Pros
Benefits are nice
Cons
No support
Horrible place to work.
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON4 October 2016
Old computers, outdated software, team leads that micro-manage.
Very high turn over rate.No support from management. Pays minimum wage with no raises ever. Will not be paid if team lead not informed that your computer has crashed, which happens a lot.
Seems like a way to not pay employees. Management needs to know you are still at your desk trying to work. With the level of micro management here, trust me, team leads will be at your desk asking why you're not taking calls. Really cheap company to work for.
Pros
Cons
A lot. Avoid working here.
Good Place to Work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ON26 September 2016
The HR staff are very friendly and helpful, and the trainers are enthusiastic and nice. Co-workers are all good and help you when you are not sure of something. Our first day on the phones, there were so many people to help us, and everyone was very patient. It feels good to help callers resolve issues and to answer their questions. Once a week management brings us free food, and we are always acknowledged when we do a good job. The hardest part of the job is making sure you know where to find all the information at first, but the longer you are there, that becomes easier. Also, if a customer is angry, it's not really fun, but you try to help them out and solve their problems. I would definitely recommend this as a place of work for all ages.
Pros
Awesome Management and Trainers
Cons
Learning Where to Find the Info you Need, Just at First.
Employee support
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burnside, NS23 September 2016
I have benefited from the level of floor (management specifically allocated to aiding/assisting non-management positions), online and immediate access to a capacious repository of information that was continuously maintained, with additional phone support.
Not to bad of a work place, just doesn't have Solid shifts
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON30 August 2016
I would start the day by signing into my systems on a computer in which I would start to take calls, i would have my schedule on the computer and had to sign out for each of my breaks including lunch. I learned how to deal with customers and de-escalate a situation before it gets out of hand.
Pros
Attached to the mall so getting lunch wasn't to much of an issue.
Cons
Minimum wages and you can get some ticked off customers who are upset with the company originally
Not Good
Customer Service Care Agent (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS29 August 2016
I prefer not to say because the experience is not good.I do not want to talk about it as the experience was eye opening-no regard for personal matter-

cheap to pay employees yet makes great demand for awful
wages and inhumane treatment
Pros
medical benefits
Cons
horrible tratment
Im in my 2nd week of training, i like it so far everyone is very nice and helpful and it seems like pretty easy work 😀
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON27 August 2016
Love this workplace so far it seems like a great family environment to work for 🤗 The pay isn't that great but there is always room to move up within the company.
Pros
Benefits, extra bonuses!
Cons
Pay only minimun wage
Excellent people to work with
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON15 August 2016
This place is like a family environment, everyone cares for everyone. Comfortable learning environment. Staff are friendly. Schedule accommodations are easy.
Pros
Recognition rewards
Cons
Negative calls
Excellent Company with Wonderful Staff
Customer Relations Representative (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON7 August 2016
I could not be working for a better company. They take care of customers and each other in every way possible with top of the line training.
Pros
Excellent attitude and perks just for hard wok
Dealing with Clients
Technical Support (computer-residential internet) (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON2 August 2016
intake, how to work with individuals who are in need of assistance
enjoy working with my colleagues
dealing with aggressive, argumentative people on the phone
getting results and ending the call on a successful note
Pros
rewarding helping folks
Cons
getting yelled at, the pay
expect lots, give little
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON20 July 2016
they expect you to do the work of 3 people with a smile and when you need help, you dont get it, or if your longer in the washroom then they expect they give you a "NC/NS"
Pros
sometimes feed you free food
Cons
long hours and hard being sworn at 9 hours a day
They "try" to keep you there with free coffee and food
Call Centre Representative (Former Employee) –  Kentville, NS13 July 2016
Probably one of the worst jobs I have ever worked. You are told during training that this isn't a sales job, but once on the floor if you don't make enough sales you are disciplined (but don't forget...it's not called sales, it's called adding value because that customer definitely just needed to pay more for the new plan they didn't need).

"You're not scripted", but if you don't say the opening exactly how they want and say empathy statements in the exact order they want them, then you get points taken off on QA calls.

Management was hit and miss. Some still had empathy for those under them on the floor, whereas many others had taken a power trip and acted like Hitler about everything. In all, much of this is not because of them but because of HGS and their clients, but some do still take the role of supervisor as meaning "Commander of the Third Reich".

They make it seem like quite an amazing thing that they have free food and coffee, but unfortunately they also take $1 off of every pay from every employee to fund this ...so not exactly free but still a nice thought. Oh by the way, you don't have a choice it gets taken off whether you eat anything or not.

Don't even think about getting prepared fully for the job. Sure, you spend a month in training...but unfortunately 80% of what you're "taught" does not apply to what you're doing on the floor in any way, shape or form.

Also, that whole thing about the job being to help your customer? Nope...it's not about the customer or helping them the best you can at all. It's about following your script and making sure
  more... you do it in less than a certain amount of time or you're not doing your job right.

I could go on for a lot longer about the little pros vs. many cons of this job, but in a nutshell unless you're begging for work I'd avoid it like the plague.
Pros
Free food (that we pay for)
Cons
Scripted environment, sales environment masquerading as not one, power tripping supervisors

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HGS Canada. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9