HGS Canada Employee Reviews

Work in Progess
CSR (Current Employee) –  Ontario19 March 2017
I have worked for HGS since almost day one. The job is quite easy, aside from the verbal abuse you receive from customers. The benefits package is probably one of my favorite job perks.

Agents tend to become a family on the floor, and they all help your shift to go by.

My biggest complaint would be the severe lack of communication from upper management down to the bottom.
Pros
Two breaks and a Lunch, "family oriented", benefits package.
Cons
Long hours, average pay, lack of communication
Horrible place to work.
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON4 October 2016
Old computers, outdated software, team leads that micro-manage.
Very high turn over rate.No support from management. Pays minimum wage with no raises ever. Will not be paid if team lead not informed that your computer has crashed, which happens a lot.
Seems like a way to not pay employees. Management needs to know you are still at your desk trying to work. With the level of micro management here, trust me, team leads will be at your desk asking why you're not taking calls. Really cheap company to work for.
Pros
Cons
A lot. Avoid working here.
Quit to go work at Tims
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS22 January 2017
A day at HGS was always on the phone with Rogers customer. Handling complains, billing, adding new products or removing services. The hardest part was I felt that I was not properly train or familiar with all those new cell phones which I was suppose to promote. It was very stressful. The most enjoyable was when a customer called with a billing issue. I loved working with numbers.
Pros
Some customers were very rude and it was very stressful
Cons
The hours were good and the benefits
Excellent Full Time Employment Options
Business Wireless Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON14 November 2016
I worked at hgs for over a year and I much enjoyed my time there, There benefits program is excellent for full time employment, coworkers were and management were always friendly. If you find you are a people person and have great multitasking skills this job is perfect for you
Stressful yet okay
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON2 February 2017
A typical day at HGS is taking phone calls for telecommunications. ThatrI leanred was time management and how to deal with certain customer services issues.
Pros
Good people, good health benefits
Cons
bad hours stressful job
Structured High Paced Environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS5 May 2016
A very structured environment in which you received incoming calls from customers, topics ranging from tech support, billing inquires, to ordering of services. Very individually based work. Management was difficult reach, but floor support was available for the minor issues.
Co-workers often changed due to high turn over rate. Issues included lack of flexibility for transportation needs and difficult work/life balance scheduling system.
Pros
Commission, Benefits
Cons
Lack of flexibility with scheduling, inadequate support for important customer issues issues
Im in my 2nd week of training, i like it so far everyone is very nice and helpful and it seems like pretty easy work 😀
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON27 August 2016
Love this workplace so far it seems like a great family environment to work for 🤗 The pay isn't that great but there is always room to move up within the company.
Pros
Benefits, extra bonuses!
Cons
Pay only minimun wage
Not Good
Customer Service Care Agent (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS29 August 2016
I prefer not to say because the experience is not good.I do not want to talk about it as the experience was eye opening-no regard for personal matter-

cheap to pay employees yet makes great demand for awful
wages and inhumane treatment
Pros
medical benefits
Cons
horrible tratment
You do get good benefits, but thats really it.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON29 October 2016
Hgs really is only a job you should go for if you absolutely need a job and have no choice. They pay you just over minimum wage, and you don't ever get any raises.

My first week out of ojt, when I needed help, there was next to no support, and when the support came, they were very rude.
The team leaders were pretty nice because you got to talk to them everyday, but, HR would never respond to your emails, and if you ever saw them on the floor, they told you they were busy and you had to email them.....

Upper management is the worst, they look at you like your just a grunt, and that you're easily replaceable. You get hounded at if your not making the goals they set out, example, call handle time, transfer rate, sales, etc....worst of the bunch is the transfer rate, I was in the cell phone department, and half the calls that come in were for cable or internet, obviously I have to transfer them to the right team so they could get help, hence my higher transfer rate, but management didn't care.

You also get hounded at for schedule compliance. For example, if my 15 break is at 10:30am, I'm supposed to take it at that time, that makes sense, but, if I have a call around 10:20 and it takes me until 10:50, management expects you not to take your break because it's not at the scheduled time, and if you do take your break at 10:50, they get mad at you.

Pay sucks, because it's barely over minimum, and there is never any raises no matter how long you've worked there unless you get promoted, but even that rarely happens.

Only good thing about this place is the benefits,
  more... benefits are pretty good.

Bottom line, pay sucks, management will probably hate you, customers hate you because your the one that answered the phone, next to no support when you need it, systems crash regulary and its somehow your fault, benefits are nice
Pros
Benefits are nice
Cons
No support
bad
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON17 February 2017
Bad environment very stressfull. long hours for minimum pay schedules arent flexible. very little support. nothing good to say about this job. all around terrible place to work
Hgs
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON8 April 2016
The job can be stressful. The pay is low for what is expected of the employees. Paid minimum wage for a job worth around 15$ an hour. You can get any job with the same pay thats a lot easier with only a few days training. For all the month of training and expectations for quality doing calls plus getting yelled at for 9 hours a day, not 8. scheduling is all over the place and inconsistent. 30min lunch which I'm not complaining about its your preference. Only 2 weeks vacation per year, only 3 paid sick days. There are some free lunches occasionally but they're not really free because they deduct a fee from your paycheque every month for events like this event if you don't participate.only thing I can say good about it is the benefits and the people that work there.
benefits
Cons
everything else
Can be a fun place to work at times
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON3 February 2017
I learned how call centers work and how it's like being on the other end of the line. The fun part about the job is meeting different customers and trying to assist them. Work culture was pretty good and management was also good, they have good accommodations. The hardest part of the job was staying calm while a customer is cursing and yelling at you, but other than that it was a good experience.
Pros
Good breaks and lunch
Cons
The pay
Fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON1 January 2017
The coworkers are amazing, management included. The hours are long. Not much else to say. It is a good job for the correct person.
Pros
Good people
Cons
long hours upset customers
Nice employees
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON11 January 2017
Was a very nice place to work at first, after about 6 months the management became very rude, and then started to ignore all the problems that were happen at work. Hardest part would of been when they switched us to another company and they just wanted us to know what to do without any training. Best part about working there would have been the fact that at the beginning they were very nice and understanding about employees needing flexible work hours.
Pros
We could take little breaks at any time we needed
Cons
very poor support when needed
The job itself was fine.
Fido Answers Agent (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON18 April 2016
Management was a mess, you were told to go to someone for help and that person had no idea what you were talking about. HR was impossible to get into, and even when you did get into them, it felt like nothing was being done.

They had some impossible standards that conflicted with the clients standards.
Pros
Amazing benefits, great appreciation days.
Cons
Management was a mess and its already a high stress job
It was ok
Sales representative (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON22 February 2017
It was not a bad place to work. Altough the crew trainers are always doing too much and tends to be harsh at everything. For example, there should be a limited time to go to the bathroom. Like if I need to go I need to go. How can one possibly help that? It was very ok though. Easy to get hired, and a place where you can start your career in sales
Pros
Easy to get hired and easy to get a commission
Cons
policy is too strick on employees
Good Place to Work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ON26 September 2016
The HR staff are very friendly and helpful, and the trainers are enthusiastic and nice. Co-workers are all good and help you when you are not sure of something. Our first day on the phones, there were so many people to help us, and everyone was very patient. It feels good to help callers resolve issues and to answer their questions. Once a week management brings us free food, and we are always acknowledged when we do a good job. The hardest part of the job is making sure you know where to find all the information at first, but the longer you are there, that becomes easier. Also, if a customer is angry, it's not really fun, but you try to help them out and solve their problems. I would definitely recommend this as a place of work for all ages.
Pros
Awesome Management and Trainers
Cons
Learning Where to Find the Info you Need, Just at First.
Detrimental to your health
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON11 March 2017
This place is beyond terrible. Not nearly enough training for the number of products you have to sell. If you don't understand what you do learn in the little amount of training you receive for each new line of products, too bad, because no one will help you.

When you ask for help, you are either ignored or belittled for needing assistance. During my time of employment, management kept adding on other dept that we would have to represent, but there were never any pay increases. The only way you got any "bonuses" would be to have a perfect score card.

TL's, HR and other management would basically ignore your questions and concerns unless you were part of the "clique" that would bow to everything management said.

Schedules are very difficult to change if you have an appointment or some emergency comes up. Management claims that schedules can be flexible, however, this is not the case. 3 sick days per year is ridiculous, and if you dare call in sick, be prepared to be grilled by your TL when you get back to work.

Only those who are in the above mentioned "clique" are recognized when they get sales. My sales were average, and some days during "competitions" for sales, I would get a fair number of sales. Everyone else would be commended, but not the employees who weren't in the "in crowd". I refuse to grovel to management just to get a pat on the back.

This job eventually got the best of me and I was forced to leave due to my health. I would not recommend this place of employment to anyone.
Pros
Cons
Long hours for little pay, very hostile work environment
Great benefits, poor communication between employees and management
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON25 February 2016
The other employees were, for the most part, easy to get along with, and the benefits were a nice bonus.

I found that booking time off was needlessly challenging, and management took far too long to address issues that were brought to their attention. Additionally, you spent a lot of time being yelled at by the clients that called in.
Pros
Full-time hours, benefits, occasional free food during the summer
Cons
Poor communication with management, rude clientèle
Customer Relations Associate (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON9 February 2017
Not a job for everyone as it is a lot of sitting and customers can be very nasty on the phone. Some days are better than others depending on the customer on the phone.
Pros
Free Lunches on pay day
Cons
Long Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HGS Canada. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9