HGS Canada

HGS Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great working environment with opportunity to grow.
Customer Care (Former Employee), Windsor, ONJune 23, 2015
Pros: Great atmosphere, Friendly co-workers, knowledgeable staff, superb training
Cons: Stressful a lot of the time, Pay did not seem high enough for what we had to do.
It was a great experience for me. Loved my trainer and once I made it onto the production floor, I was welcomed with open arms and they did everything they could to make sure we knew our stuff and were comfortable. Co-workers were wonderful, met some truly caring people there. The only reason I left was because I just wasn't a fit for this type of job.
good workplace
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), DartmouthJune 16, 2015
Working here you find out what you are made out of. This job isn't for everyone, however if you love people and are able to handle stressful situations then this is a good job for you.
Good Full Time Work, Stressful Environment
Customer Service Representative- FIDO (Current Employee), Pembroke, ONJune 15, 2015
Pros: Free lunches, Full Time Hours and Benefits
Cons: Stressful Environment, People skills are an absolute must.
To be honest, HGS is not all bad like most would say. It all comes down to your management staff. my experience overall I would say was very positive. met many new friends there and also was able to save up a lot through having full time hours and also cut costs with what is covered under the benefits. if anyone is looking to apply I would recommend it,
nice place
Customer Relations Associate (Current Employee), Dartmouth, NSJune 11, 2015
people around are very helpful and are always there for us. the team leaders are exceptional.
people should be mentally prepared to work in a call center and handle all customer issues with a smile on their face which sometimes becomes difficult.
Customer Service Representative
Inbound Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Barrie, ONJune 10, 2015
answering calls for cable and wireless products and billing questions, you are hired as a representative and no selling and when hired you are to sell the products. My co-workers are pleasure to work with
loved it
Floor Support Supervisor (Former Employee), Belleville, ONJune 2, 2015
Loved hgs but they kept messing with my shifts and putting me all over the board needed a better standard of schedule so i could have a family life too
The workplace & coworkers are the best experience I've ever had - The job is draining.
Internet Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), Barrie, ONMay 24, 2015
Pros: Voluntary Go Home - Easy time off - great environment - greater staff
Cons: Hour cuts, Low Pay, Very stressful, no respect from customers, scummy business practices.
If you're thinking of applying to HGS - Beware. They advertise full time work - yet every summer cut hours by 1.5 hours a day at least. The system they use to keep track of your vacation hours and paid – more... sick days off is also flawed - it doesn't accurately keep track. Use your paycheck. The systems they use to help customers, such as ICM, SGI, and almost every other tool, is constantly buggy or down or worse - breaks in the middle of the call. There was not one day at HGS that a tool or system worked perfectly all day.

Customers hate you - that's it. End of story. To the customer, you are nothing. You are a roadblock to working internet. That is ALL you are. You will be yelled at, insulted, unappreciated, and complained to, all day, every day, for 8.5 hours a day (7.5 or less in the summer! Only 7 paid!)

The pay is already bad enough, considering what the company itself makes per agent per hour. How would you feel knowing that you get just over HALF what the company makes per agent per hour. Along with hour cuts - and consistently tacking on more responsibilities per call without any HINT of a pay raise - that is what killed the job for me. After the initial training - whenever the company tacks on more products, you will be technical support for those products, and you will not receive training on it. You have to follow the call time reduction techniques to the LETTER, or you will lose points on your quality score, which, by the way, 90% of the time completely relies on the customers rating of you and not how good you actually did on the call.

At the site I worked at there were 3 departments. Customer Service, Business Wireless Customer Service, and internet technical support.

Business Wireless and Customer Service CONSISTENTLY have 30-45+ minutes of time between calls to screw around. The most Internet Tech Support ever had was 20 minutes, and that was on new years eve, close to midnight. Did Internet Technical support ever get anything special for their increased workflow compared to the others? No.

Be ready to not be appreciated at all, and treated like garbage by your customers.

The only good part of the job - the part that made it bearable - was the coworkers and the management. The management knew what you needed, and would let you take a few minutes off for any personal reasons, to vent, to do whatever you needed. They were the only semblance of a good time the job had. They weren't no-nonsense management. They were people, who treated you like human beings, who treated you like friends instead of like shills. And for that, I have to thank them. – less
Just.... No...
CSR / Tech Support (Former Employee), Barrie, ONMay 20, 2015
Pros: Above Minimum Wage Pay
I left this business because they took my scheduling like it was a joke.. In Barrie, the bus runs from around 9 to 11:30 at the latest.. I told them I could work between those hours, and they basically – more... laughed at it and kept booking me til 12. Also, there is LITERALLY no support, you can stand there for minutes with your hand up asking for help, and when you finally get it the customer is ticked. You are treated like a number, and most of the staff act like it's school or a zoo instead of a work environment. I've had better experiences at fast food chains, guess that's what I'm going back to. Also, cut down on the hours without letting the staff know.

Oh, and one last thing.. ad hoc or whatever the heck it's called? Really? I'm there to work, not sit around listening to people that have no idea what their talking about. – less
not a great place to work at
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee), Windsor, ONMay 15, 2015
very long hours. eye strain from looking at a computer all day. dealt with very irate customers all day for very low pay. wasn't the right job for me
Very productive and fun
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Belleville, ONMay 14, 2015
Pros: contests everyday for incentives
Cons: odd hours
HGS is like no other call centre that I have ever worked in before.
The level of support and training is exceptional and you feel more like a family than an employee.

The actual most enjoyable part of my day is going to work and seeing what I can say are my friends and not just employees and bosses.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Halifax, NSMay 12, 2015
Pros: nothing
Cons: EVERYTHING!!!
not a healthy place to be working in ... its atmosphere will make you sick...this is the one place i would not recommend to any one for any reason .. not worth the stress or the pain that comes along with it
Good place to work, not a MC Job.
CRA (Current Employee), Windsor OntarioMay 5, 2015
For the time being, HGS Canada pays its employees more than minimum wage, which is nice. Unfortunately, minimum wage is changing soon, and its doubtful ours will be bumped up in relation.

Training – more... is boring (for my department, anyways). Essentially 3 weeks of watching powerpoints on your own. It's pretty much certain that when you hit the phones, that you'll have no idea what you're doing. That's fine though, because everyone's there to help you.

Co workers are great, it's nice to be able to converse while things are slower. Irate customers will happen, but you'll learn how to deal with them.

Parts that suck about the job is the sporadic scheduling. You get one weekend off every 3, and you'll have 2 days off every week. When those 2 days off are just about random. The odds you get 2 consecutive days off are rather slim... I myself work the later shift. 4:30 - 1AM. This job is a 365 day operation, so there's a slim chance you'll ever get to take a long weekend working here.

Another thing that suks, is the fact you need to be on the computer ready to go at your start time. If you log in when you're set to start, and your system takes 10 minutes to become usable, you're late, and you only get 3 of those. They really should have it so you have to be on the computer by time X, and on the phone by time Y. The process repeats itself for each break, and lunch, which eats your personal time away.

I would only recommend this job for the mature young adult. – less
Productive Workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Belleville, ONApril 27, 2015
Good place to work and fun experience in this workplace.

Developed skills in customer service, support, interpersonal skills, problem solving and teamwork while working here.
Review of HGS Canada
Sales and minor technical support (Current Employee), Dartmouth, NSApril 15, 2015
a typical day of work is signing into your phone and taking calls. Training was almost non existent and when you did get some the
systems in the training environment never worked.
Your fellow coworker – more... are great as they are just like you, management on the other hand is all over the place with inconsistent ways of dealing with staff.
The hardest part of the job is having to sell physical things with never having ever seen them. The best part of the job is the odd customer you get to help save money. – less
Customer service representative
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Thunder Bay, ONApril 15, 2015
Pros: shift choices
Cons: long periods of sitting
Learned multiple computer skills to provide the most beneficial customer service advice for customers, as well as helping them to have the most reliable service for their money. Being able to interact with all sorts of customers from all over and working with helpful outgoing co-workers and supervisors.
Love working with the people
Customer Service (Current Employee), Barrie OnApril 14, 2015
excellent place for advancement, willing to work with you to help you do your job better,
I love working with my co-workers like one big family
awesome workplace
Internet Technical Support (Current Employee), Barrie, ONMarch 28, 2015
Pros: friendly atmosphere
Cons: less pay and mental stress, depends on day to day basis
Its a great place to be at , the staff including the recruiters are friendly and helpful . The team leaders and floor support are extremely friendly and very supportive .
stressfull Environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Dartmouth, NSMarch 22, 2015
Pros: coworkers
Cons: cranky customers
calls start right away, a lot of yelling customers, no support, learn to rely on coworkers for help, no help from management, constantly changes rules
Good people, and a good work enviroment
CSC Agent - Customer service for Rogers (Former Employee), Dartmouth, NSMarch 16, 2015
Pros: large lunch rooms, flexible schedules, and great people
Cons: dealing with complaints for rogers, the way management handled certain situations.
With HGS Canada, I would be able to go in and start as soon as the time changed to my start time. Our Lead associates were very well trained, and they had a lot of experience.

I would in on a typical – more... day and get hundreds of calls.

We would have to go through billing - all the way to dealing with customer complaints. (Or compliments, but those were rare honestly.)

My Co-workers were why I stayed so long. They made the entire work day fun as anything, and I loved my Team Leader. We would go out after work sometimes and have food at 330 in the morning, since we were the night crew. It was great. :) – less
Awful place, backstabbing managers
Technical Support (Former Employee), Barrie, ONMarch 14, 2015
Pros: it's a job, that's the only pro
Cons: everything about the job is awful.
Typical Day:

Get in, sign in to your computer and hope that your systems haven't crashed. They look up for now, but don't worry they'll crash a few times over the course of a day.

You sit waiting for – more... the first call to come in, only taking a few seconds because wait time barely exists. Once it does come in you're greeted with no information about the customer because account pops are broken for a large number of employees. So you ask all their information and they scream at your for not having the information ready.

Now you've finally got their account up and the system of course crashes, so you wait another 5-10 minutes while everything reloads and have an irate customer scream at you.

After you've dealt with a few calls you proceed to have useless meetings led by random coworkers. They don't know what they're talking about because they were given a sheet of paper to read off of right as the meeting starts. That's how we're given crucial information, so it's often not even given out.

Finally, the end of your shift rolls around and you're looking forward to going home. Except you can't, the customer refuses to get off the phone and you're required to stay past your shift until they get off the phone.

What I learned:

HGS is completely ineffective as a call center, their systems are so completely broken I couldn't help about 1/3 of customers calling in.

They say they hire from within, but the actual advancement opportunities are so pathetic. You'll never make more than $15 000 - $20 000 here unless you get promoted to something crazy like site director (you won't, I don't think I ever saw a promotion that was actually worthwhile).

Management:

Useless and only out for themselves, I was backstabbed numerous times from one specific Team Leader.

Co-workers:

Easily the best part about the job, however you don't really get the chance to ever talk or get to know them. They won't even allow personal conversations with the proprietary chat client, even on break.

Hardest part of the job:

The customers; rude, ignorant, ESL (if you're lucky)

Most enjoyable part of the job:

When I quit.

Seriously, only apply here if you are absolutely desperate.

It's easily the worst place I've ever worked at, by a HUGE margin. – less