HGS Canada Employee Reviews

You do get good benefits, but thats really it.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON29 October 2016
Hgs really is only a job you should go for if you absolutely need a job and have no choice. They pay you just over minimum wage, and you don't ever get any raises.

My first week out of ojt, when I needed help, there was next to no support, and when the support came, they were very rude.
The team leaders were pretty nice because you got to talk to them everyday, but, HR would never respond to your emails, and if you ever saw them on the floor, they told you they were busy and you had to email them.....

Upper management is the worst, they look at you like your just a grunt, and that you're easily replaceable. You get hounded at if your not making the goals they set out, example, call handle time, transfer rate, sales, etc....worst of the bunch is the transfer rate, I was in the cell phone department, and half the calls that come in were for cable or internet, obviously I have to transfer them to the right team so they could get help, hence my higher transfer rate, but management didn't care.

You also get hounded at for schedule compliance. For example, if my 15 break is at 10:30am, I'm supposed to take it at that time, that makes sense, but, if I have a call around 10:20 and it takes me until 10:50, management expects you not to take your break because it's not at the scheduled time, and if you do take your break at 10:50, they get mad at you.

Pay sucks, because it's barely over minimum, and there is never any raises no matter how long you've worked there unless you get promoted, but even that rarely happens.

Only good thing about this place is the benefits,
  more... benefits are pretty good.

Bottom line, pay sucks, management will probably hate you, customers hate you because your the one that answered the phone, next to no support when you need it, systems crash regulary and its somehow your fault, benefits are nice
Pros
Benefits are nice
Cons
No support
Horrible place to work.
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON4 October 2016
Old computers, outdated software, team leads that micro-manage.
Very high turn over rate.No support from management. Pays minimum wage with no raises ever. Will not be paid if team lead not informed that your computer has crashed, which happens a lot.
Seems like a way to not pay employees. Management needs to know you are still at your desk trying to work. With the level of micro management here, trust me, team leads will be at your desk asking why you're not taking calls. Really cheap company to work for.
Pros
Cons
A lot. Avoid working here.
Good Place to Work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ON26 September 2016
The HR staff are very friendly and helpful, and the trainers are enthusiastic and nice. Co-workers are all good and help you when you are not sure of something. Our first day on the phones, there were so many people to help us, and everyone was very patient. It feels good to help callers resolve issues and to answer their questions. Once a week management brings us free food, and we are always acknowledged when we do a good job. The hardest part of the job is making sure you know where to find all the information at first, but the longer you are there, that becomes easier. Also, if a customer is angry, it's not really fun, but you try to help them out and solve their problems. I would definitely recommend this as a place of work for all ages.
Pros
Awesome Management and Trainers
Cons
Learning Where to Find the Info you Need, Just at First.
Employee support
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burnside, NS23 September 2016
I have benefited from the level of floor (management specifically allocated to aiding/assisting non-management positions), online and immediate access to a capacious repository of information that was continuously maintained, with additional phone support.
Not to bad of a work place, just doesn't have Solid shifts
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON30 August 2016
I would start the day by signing into my systems on a computer in which I would start to take calls, i would have my schedule on the computer and had to sign out for each of my breaks including lunch. I learned how to deal with customers and de-escalate a situation before it gets out of hand.
Pros
Attached to the mall so getting lunch wasn't to much of an issue.
Cons
Minimum wages and you can get some ticked off customers who are upset with the company originally
Not Good
Customer Service Care Agent (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS29 August 2016
I prefer not to say because the experience is not good.I do not want to talk about it as the experience was eye opening-no regard for personal matter-

cheap to pay employees yet makes great demand for awful
wages and inhumane treatment
Pros
medical benefits
Cons
horrible tratment
Im in my 2nd week of training, i like it so far everyone is very nice and helpful and it seems like pretty easy work 😀
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON27 August 2016
Love this workplace so far it seems like a great family environment to work for 🤗 The pay isn't that great but there is always room to move up within the company.
Pros
Benefits, extra bonuses!
Cons
Pay only minimun wage
Excellent people to work with
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON15 August 2016
This place is like a family environment, everyone cares for everyone. Comfortable learning environment. Staff are friendly. Schedule accommodations are easy.
Pros
Recognition rewards
Cons
Negative calls
Excellent Company with Wonderful Staff
Customer Relations Representative (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON7 August 2016
I could not be working for a better company. They take care of customers and each other in every way possible with top of the line training.
Pros
Excellent attitude and perks just for hard wok
Dealing with Clients
Technical Support (computer-residential internet) (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON2 August 2016
intake, how to work with individuals who are in need of assistance
enjoy working with my colleagues
dealing with aggressive, argumentative people on the phone
getting results and ending the call on a successful note
Pros
rewarding helping folks
Cons
getting yelled at, the pay
expect lots, give little
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON20 July 2016
they expect you to do the work of 3 people with a smile and when you need help, you dont get it, or if your longer in the washroom then they expect they give you a "NC/NS"
Pros
sometimes feed you free food
Cons
long hours and hard being sworn at 9 hours a day
They "try" to keep you there with free coffee and food
Call Centre Representative (Former Employee) –  Kentville, NS13 July 2016
Probably one of the worst jobs I have ever worked. You are told during training that this isn't a sales job, but once on the floor if you don't make enough sales you are disciplined (but don't forget...it's not called sales, it's called adding value because that customer definitely just needed to pay more for the new plan they didn't need).

"You're not scripted", but if you don't say the opening exactly how they want and say empathy statements in the exact order they want them, then you get points taken off on QA calls.

Management was hit and miss. Some still had empathy for those under them on the floor, whereas many others had taken a power trip and acted like Hitler about everything. In all, much of this is not because of them but because of HGS and their clients, but some do still take the role of supervisor as meaning "Commander of the Third Reich".

They make it seem like quite an amazing thing that they have free food and coffee, but unfortunately they also take $1 off of every pay from every employee to fund this ...so not exactly free but still a nice thought. Oh by the way, you don't have a choice it gets taken off whether you eat anything or not.

Don't even think about getting prepared fully for the job. Sure, you spend a month in training...but unfortunately 80% of what you're "taught" does not apply to what you're doing on the floor in any way, shape or form.

Also, that whole thing about the job being to help your customer? Nope...it's not about the customer or helping them the best you can at all. It's about following your script and making sure
  more... you do it in less than a certain amount of time or you're not doing your job right.

I could go on for a lot longer about the little pros vs. many cons of this job, but in a nutshell unless you're begging for work I'd avoid it like the plague.
Pros
Free food (that we pay for)
Cons
Scripted environment, sales environment masquerading as not one, power tripping supervisors
good
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pembroke, ON10 July 2016
I enjoy working for HGS but it is a very stressful job as well as very strick work guidelines. Coworkers are very helpfull on the floor but the TL need some inprovements,
No issues with the company
Inbound Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS1 July 2016
Working at HGS is like working at any average call center, it is a very psychologically demanding job to do and is very strict in this aspect.
Friendly Environment
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON26 June 2016
A typical day at HGS would go, you sing into your computer, take calls for a few hours, go on break/do training, take calls, break again, home time. At HGS I learned a lot about customer service and what it takes to make a customer happy with the services they already had. The co-workers at HGS are all very friendly. The hardest part of the job was being berated by customers, and the most enjoyable part of the job was changing someones attitude from angry to friendly.
Pros
Prizes, lunches
Cons
vulger customers
productive and educational, as well as informative
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS15 June 2016
Each and every day was met with new and interesting views on the companies policies from the customers perspective. Dealing with the different personalities of customers and their understanding of what they were entitled to as compared to what their packages included and how costs were complied was a lesson in patience and education on both parts. For the most part the work was relatively routine and depending on the issues of the day with systems were easy going. There were a multitude of individuals that became friends or passing acquaintances and of course there were conversations of family and comparative issues to deal with, experiences that we could share on how to deal with either customer issues on how to resolve complaints or how to's to deal with situations. Many friends were made of both management and co workers. The instructors for the initial education of systems were friendly and easy to talk to and were willing to help at any time if extra help was needed to understand how to use the many systems used.
The best part of the job was the social events, from family days to planting small flower beds out side the back entrances, bbq's and Christmas parties.
Things that make you go hmmmm
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON11 June 2016
This place is a joke , the client is a well established company who should have better representation to say the least.
Management is under qualified, HR is phoney, vindictive and judgemental.
People get fired for the smallest things yet others remain employed ( managers ) after serious matters.
Harassment in the workplace policies are presented during your training but then are nothing but words Spoken because they have to be and because they want to present themselves as a " family " as supportive and a team with a safe environment.

I don't know about your family, but in mine we don't invade others personal space commit crime and then shake it off like it nothing, being violated by unwelcomed contact just doesn't happen, and if it ever did with "family " aka workplace it would be very serious and not laughed about.

People get fired for using more the the allotted number of personal days, for having to long of handle time on calls, for jumping queues, but for real reasons that put others safety and comfort at jeopardy nah just let those slide.
Pros
There are some good people
interesting workplace
Billing/sales, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON9 June 2016
interesting workplace meeting lots of interesting and new people every day. Customer satisfaction is a key element. long hours above minimum pay.
Terrible work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON8 June 2016
managers dont care about their employees at all and they are constantly trying to look for ways to fire you if they dont like you and they refuse to accomadate employee medical needs
Pros
employee appreciation week
Cons
horrible management
Awful
Phone Representative (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON30 May 2016
This place sucks. I never liked it. It was horrid. This was by far the worst working experience I've ever had. Every time I went to go into work, I had to contemplate drinking.
Pros
Charles
Cons
Stirling

2.9