HGS Canada

HGS Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive, and very professional work enviroment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Barrie ONJuly 20, 2015
Pros: Supportive staff, free events, free lunches
Cons: Not alot of interactions with other departments in the building
A typical day at work included answering calls for Rogers customers in the Business wireless department. I took payments, payment arrangements, completed hardware upgrades, made sales, and applied credits to accounts that needed them.
What I learned was how to deal with irate and irrational customers in a calm and collective manor.
The management was fantastic, very professional, and always willing to help employees when they could.
The hardest part of the job was getting used to being yelled at by irate customers every day.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the work environment and my co-workers, it felt like a family and everyone was trying to help everyone else when they could.
With this low pay, the incentives SHOULD always be delivered. They aren't.
Customer Care Associate (Former Employee), Barrie, OnJuly 19, 2015
Pros: It'd a short term job while you can stand it
Cons: Poor training, high stress extremely delayed/unpaid incentives, unfair scheduling practices
FOUR Big Problems: Poor Training, High Stress, extremely Delayed/Unpaid Incentives, Unfair Scheduling practices

Training.
What you are told in training about the wonderful company is just smoke. It is a minimum wage job where people quit every day. Training does prepare you for what you face on the job,mostly because the training computers have no access to systems to practice. So expect to be extremely stressed and watch your trainig buddies quit daily. On the job training is designed to force you to learn or drown... floor support could help, but are rarely available.Awful!

High Stress
Imagine trying to serve a customer using 4 different software (that often crash) while the support staff is ignoring you or telling you to read the ridiculously complicated 2000 article help website. They leave you hanging - and essentially cause you to leave your customer hanging. Ridiculous!

Unpaid Incentives
It's pretty cheap of a company to promise all these great benefits in training, and then not deliver once your are on the floor.

A few of us worked major over time over Christmas and Holidays.. and months later - still no bonus. Now we are told if we quit (which we all want to do) we will never get the bonus.

So do not count on any bonuses on top of the minimum wage!

Unpaid commissions... referral fees
There are suppose to be commissions for sales you make and for referrals. But the delay is months and months later (they know you will quit). So basically forget adding commissions and referral bonuses - you never see them.

WORST - Unfair scheduling practices
 – more...
The few of use who stuck it out to get trained in another line of business all went through a hellish experience, only to lose our scheduling preferences - which were all reset to nil. I saw grown men and women cry.

Conclusion.
Management does not care. Stress is your problem, not theirs. Bonuses, incentives and commissions do not come and attendance is not rewarded with a good schedule since they revoke your priority as soon as you make any upgrades to your training..

If you read this and go work there. Well, I tried to warn you. – less
Horrible place to work, I do not recommend at all!
Internet Tech Support (Former Employee), BarrieJuly 14, 2015
Pros: Hobestly nothing
Cons: Unhelpful training, rude customers, favourtism, unorganized, low pay
First of all, the training was such a joke. I didn't learn a thing so the first day on the phones was overly stressful. The floor support would only let you ask them a question if you put the customer on hold and believe me, there are numerous questions per call. I muted the phone once to ask a quick question because I had already put the customer on hold 3 times but floor support refused to help me.

The systems were always crashing.. in the middle of calls meaning you have to start your notes all over. Your scheduling is based off your score. Meaning if you're on time going for breaks, call length, if a customer you helped calls back within 7 days with the same problem, hold time, and the amount of time you spend making notes after a call. Knowing you're being scored and you only get good shift picks if you have a high score is unneeded stress added to the already stressful bs you deal with there.

Customers are really ignorant. They act like you're the one that made their Internet not work and half of them don't know how to do anything when you're trying to troubleshoot with them. It's a very tedious job. If you don't know anything about troubleshooting Internet, macs, helping them with email problems, and much more, I highly suggest you don't go into Internet tech support. Believe me, the training doesn't help at all. And not like they give you a decision which department you want to work in. That one is always in the highest demand so chances are they will put you there anyway.

They make it seem like a rewarding place to work but don't be fooled. The turn around – more... is very high and they are constantly hiring.. that should say a lot. After my first day on the phones I was done with that place. I completed the three weeks of training and after that I was still unable to log in and see my schedule. I was constantly asking about it and they kept telling me they sent support tickets for it but nothing changed.

I heard mixed reviews before working there so I thought hey, I'll give it a shot. Big mistake! Try to find something else before ever working there. – less
Great Workplace to meet new people
Customer Services Representative (Former Employee), North Bay, ONJuly 8, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: exhausting hours when you have little ones
HGS is an over all good place to work, I would suggest you have very good verbal skills along with being sympathetic and empathetic. Those are some of the main factors to keep your customers happy and satisfied. I also met several good friends by working with HGS.
and one more thing HGS does their best to help suit your needs, very understanding!
Good enough for a call centre
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), BellevilleJune 28, 2015
Pros: Incentives
Cons: Its a call centre
Best call centre in the Belleville area, you're treated like a person and not just a number. The hours a reasonable and its easy to switch to get days off without a hassle
Great working environment with opportunity to grow.
Customer Care (Former Employee), Windsor, ONJune 23, 2015
Pros: Great atmosphere, Friendly co-workers, knowledgeable staff, superb training
Cons: Stressful a lot of the time, Pay did not seem high enough for what we had to do.
It was a great experience for me. Loved my trainer and once I made it onto the production floor, I was welcomed with open arms and they did everything they could to make sure we knew our stuff and were comfortable. Co-workers were wonderful, met some truly caring people there. The only reason I left was because I just wasn't a fit for this type of job.
good workplace
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), DartmouthJune 16, 2015
Working here you find out what you are made out of. This job isn't for everyone, however if you love people and are able to handle stressful situations then this is a good job for you.
Good Full Time Work, Stressful Environment
Customer Service Representative- FIDO (Current Employee), Pembroke, ONJune 15, 2015
Pros: Free lunches, Full Time Hours and Benefits
Cons: Stressful Environment, People skills are an absolute must.
To be honest, HGS is not all bad like most would say. It all comes down to your management staff. my experience overall I would say was very positive. met many new friends there and also was able to save up a lot through having full time hours and also cut costs with what is covered under the benefits. if anyone is looking to apply I would recommend it,
nice place
Customer Relations Associate (Current Employee), Dartmouth, NSJune 11, 2015
people around are very helpful and are always there for us. the team leaders are exceptional.
people should be mentally prepared to work in a call center and handle all customer issues with a smile on their face which sometimes becomes difficult.
Customer Service Representative
Inbound Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Barrie, ONJune 10, 2015
answering calls for cable and wireless products and billing questions, you are hired as a representative and no selling and when hired you are to sell the products. My co-workers are pleasure to work with
loved it
Floor Support Supervisor (Former Employee), Belleville, ONJune 2, 2015
Loved hgs but they kept messing with my shifts and putting me all over the board needed a better standard of schedule so i could have a family life too
The workplace & coworkers are the best experience I've ever had - The job is draining.
Internet Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), Barrie, ONMay 24, 2015
Pros: Voluntary Go Home - Easy time off - great environment - greater staff
Cons: Hour cuts, Low Pay, Very stressful, no respect from customers, scummy business practices.
If you're thinking of applying to HGS - Beware. They advertise full time work - yet every summer cut hours by 1.5 hours a day at least. The system they use to keep track of your vacation hours and paid sick days off is also flawed - it doesn't accurately keep track. Use your paycheck. The systems they use to help customers, such as ICM, SGI, and almost every other tool, is constantly buggy or down or worse - breaks in the middle of the call. There was not one day at HGS that a tool or system worked perfectly all day.

Customers hate you - that's it. End of story. To the customer, you are nothing. You are a roadblock to working internet. That is ALL you are. You will be yelled at, insulted, unappreciated, and complained to, all day, every day, for 8.5 hours a day (7.5 or less in the summer! Only 7 paid!)

The pay is already bad enough, considering what the company itself makes per agent per hour. How would you feel knowing that you get just over HALF what the company makes per agent per hour. Along with hour cuts - and consistently tacking on more responsibilities per call without any HINT of a pay raise - that is what killed the job for me. After the initial training - whenever the company tacks on more products, you will be technical support for those products, and you will not receive training on it. You have to follow the call time reduction techniques to the LETTER, or you will lose points on your quality score, which, by the way, 90% of the time completely relies on the customers rating of you and not how good you actually did on the call.

At the site I worked – more... at there were 3 departments. Customer Service, Business Wireless Customer Service, and internet technical support.

Business Wireless and Customer Service CONSISTENTLY have 30-45+ minutes of time between calls to screw around. The most Internet Tech Support ever had was 20 minutes, and that was on new years eve, close to midnight. Did Internet Technical support ever get anything special for their increased workflow compared to the others? No.

Be ready to not be appreciated at all, and treated like garbage by your customers.

The only good part of the job - the part that made it bearable - was the coworkers and the management. The management knew what you needed, and would let you take a few minutes off for any personal reasons, to vent, to do whatever you needed. They were the only semblance of a good time the job had. They weren't no-nonsense management. They were people, who treated you like human beings, who treated you like friends instead of like shills. And for that, I have to thank them. – less
Just.... No...
CSR / Tech Support (Former Employee), Barrie, ONMay 20, 2015
Pros: Above Minimum Wage Pay
I left this business because they took my scheduling like it was a joke.. In Barrie, the bus runs from around 9 to 11:30 at the latest.. I told them I could work between those hours, and they basically laughed at it and kept booking me til 12. Also, there is LITERALLY no support, you can stand there for minutes with your hand up asking for help, and when you finally get it the customer is ticked. You are treated like a number, and most of the staff act like it's school or a zoo instead of a work environment. I've had better experiences at fast food chains, guess that's what I'm going back to. Also, cut down on the hours without letting the staff know.

Oh, and one last thing.. ad hoc or whatever the heck it's called? Really? I'm there to work, not sit around listening to people that have no idea what their talking about.
not a great place to work at
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee), Windsor, ONMay 15, 2015
very long hours. eye strain from looking at a computer all day. dealt with very irate customers all day for very low pay. wasn't the right job for me
Very productive and fun
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Belleville, ONMay 14, 2015
Pros: contests everyday for incentives
Cons: odd hours
HGS is like no other call centre that I have ever worked in before.
The level of support and training is exceptional and you feel more like a family than an employee.

The actual most enjoyable part of my day is going to work and seeing what I can say are my friends and not just employees and bosses.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Halifax, NSMay 12, 2015
Pros: nothing
Cons: EVERYTHING!!!
not a healthy place to be working in ... its atmosphere will make you sick...this is the one place i would not recommend to any one for any reason .. not worth the stress or the pain that comes along with it
Good place to work, not a MC Job.
CRA (Current Employee), Windsor OntarioMay 5, 2015
For the time being, HGS Canada pays its employees more than minimum wage, which is nice. Unfortunately, minimum wage is changing soon, and its doubtful ours will be bumped up in relation.

Training is boring (for my department, anyways). Essentially 3 weeks of watching powerpoints on your own. It's pretty much certain that when you hit the phones, that you'll have no idea what you're doing. That's fine though, because everyone's there to help you.

Co workers are great, it's nice to be able to converse while things are slower. Irate customers will happen, but you'll learn how to deal with them.

Parts that suck about the job is the sporadic scheduling. You get one weekend off every 3, and you'll have 2 days off every week. When those 2 days off are just about random. The odds you get 2 consecutive days off are rather slim... I myself work the later shift. 4:30 - 1AM. This job is a 365 day operation, so there's a slim chance you'll ever get to take a long weekend working here.

Another thing that suks, is the fact you need to be on the computer ready to go at your start time. If you log in when you're set to start, and your system takes 10 minutes to become usable, you're late, and you only get 3 of those. They really should have it so you have to be on the computer by time X, and on the phone by time Y. The process repeats itself for each break, and lunch, which eats your personal time away.

I would only recommend this job for the mature young adult.
Productive Workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Belleville, ONApril 27, 2015
Good place to work and fun experience in this workplace.

Developed skills in customer service, support, interpersonal skills, problem solving and teamwork while working here.
Review of HGS Canada
Sales and minor technical support (Current Employee), Dartmouth, NSApril 15, 2015
a typical day of work is signing into your phone and taking calls. Training was almost non existent and when you did get some the
systems in the training environment never worked.
Your fellow coworker are great as they are just like you, management on the other hand is all over the place with inconsistent ways of dealing with staff.
The hardest part of the job is having to sell physical things with never having ever seen them. The best part of the job is the odd customer you get to help save money.
Customer service representative
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Thunder Bay, ONApril 15, 2015
Pros: shift choices
Cons: long periods of sitting
Learned multiple computer skills to provide the most beneficial customer service advice for customers, as well as helping them to have the most reliable service for their money. Being able to interact with all sorts of customers from all over and working with helpful outgoing co-workers and supervisors.

1 2 3 4 5