Hertfordshire County Council Employee Reviews

Day to day running of a busy school office
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Hemel HempsteadMarch 19, 2016
My day starts at 8.00am. If staff are absent I have to call in casual staff. From 8.30am I am taking phone calls and attending to people coming into the school.
I will undertake any emergencies that arise and prioritise my workload accordingly.
I will make sure the office staff, of which there are 3, are aware of anything they may need to know for the day. Have a meeting with my school business manager who will update me with anything I may need to be aware of.
Depending on the time of the month, I may have to undertake the monthly wages.
I undertake any HR work that may have to be done.
My daily tasks are not the same each day and every day is different.
I think I am learning all the time, even with the length of time I have been there. With the introduction of a school business manager I feel I am being made more aware of the why we do things the way we do.
public service with all the pros and cons that entails
Part-time Stock and Reader Development Librarian (Former Employee) –  HertfordshApril 4, 2016
A public service expectation that you will do more for less.
somewhat rigid in its expectations. Offers good training.
Very busy place to work in, always giving the best services.
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  StevenageNovember 4, 2015
I can take anywhere between 100-150 calls a day. Always helping others and helping customers.
The management is OK.
My collogues are brilliant they make my days at work fun.
Pros
3 Lunches 2x15Min Breaks. 1x30Min Lunch.
Cons
Always different hours, 8-4pm - 9-5pm - 10-6pm - 12-8pm
Productive and social place to worlk
Midday Supervisory Assistant at Spellbrook School (Current Employee) –  SpellbrookJanuary 5, 2016
Work is always sociable and busy with a great staff team working together every day to over come demanding parts of the job and every day tasks,
Busy Lively
Environment Solicitor (Current Employee) –  Hertford NorthFebruary 24, 2016
It is two and a half hours from Brentford to Hertford North travelling. Apart from the distance it is a good place to work.
Experience of working within my current department
Service Finder (Current Employee) –  Stevenage, ENGSeptember 8, 2015
A good place to work with very supportive colleagues and all working from the same remit in supporting people to enable them to achieve the best that they can whilst maintaining their dignity and respect at all times. To be more open minded. Management structures have changed where I now feel a distinct lack of support and knowledge. Extremely supportive, experienced and knowlegdeable co-workers. Not being able to support someone due to lack of provisions and support. Working alongside family's and getting the best outcome for all.
Pros
Statues of working for a county council
Cons
Red tape or lack of
Life experience
Goldsborough Enablement Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, ENGAugust 20, 2015
Every day at work is different, exciting but challenging at times.
The management is great and supportive,
I learnt a lot whilst working here it was defiantly a life experience.
The hardest part of the job was when you wasn't to sure on how to handle a situation so you would have to think for yourself a lot as you would be out at work on your own.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing a difference you could make inn someone's life whether it was a piece of equipment or just good service that was provided that made someone happy.
Positive
Senior Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Welwyn Garden City, ENGDecember 31, 2015
I have thoroughly enjoyed my time working in the care industry however I am now looking for a job that has a more formal and manageable shift pattern.
Unique
Foster Carer (Current Employee) –  ENGJuly 28, 2015
Rather than working in a typical workplace such as a shop or an office, I am able to stay at home looking after children. This ensures that I can balance with my own life and education, as my mother is the foster parent. I have learned how the way children were neglected in their past, can affect their behaviour (which usually is not completely positive). Since it is not my job, it is just experience, I do not see co-workers. The hardest part is dealing with the child's negative side, such as tantrums, crying or making a mess. However, everyone knows that this is normal for children, it is just the experience of understanding them. My most enjoyable part of being a foster carer, is having the thought that I can make a difference to a young child's life for the better.
Pros
This is only work experience meaning I am able to manage my own time
Cons
Space from parents, children's negative behaviour
rewarding workplace
Driver/Attendant (Former Employee) –  victoria house day centreNovember 11, 2015
transporting vunerable and elderly clients to day centres I found this job very rewarding and enjoyable unfortunately they lost the contract
Workplace with a lot of variety and the opportunity to make a difference
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  St Albans, ENGMay 15, 2015
A varied job which focuses around providing excellent customer service whilst ensuring the operational efficiency of the Library.
Very friendly and helpful co-workers, which helps when dealing with the occasional difficult customer, the hardest part of the job.
The most enjoyable part of the job is providing a helpful service to the public and the sense of achievement this brings, from assisting a customer find health information to providing IT tutoring.
Pros
Varied work, positive work, great colleagues.
Cons
Low pay and little career progression opportunities
A hard working and dedicated team
Assistant Network Officer (Former Employee) –  ENGAugust 4, 2015
We all worked hard together to achieve the main objectives of monitoring utility works and permit requirements and adherence, and ensuring that all third party complaints and queries were dealt with as a priority.
Excellent Employer and Pension Scheme
IT Systems Support - Technical Manager (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, ENGMarch 10, 2015
Supporting all aspects of IT for Hertfordshire school, including Networking, Database management, Finance management, Software, Hardware.
Network design and consultancy

Learned Project Management, Incident Management, Software, Hardware and Networking. Commissioning of whole networks and hardware.

Hardest part of the job was the amount of schools and ensuring the highest standards were adhered to.

Most enjoyable part of job was playing an essential part in the learning and development of the children of Herfordshire.
Pros
job security and pension
Cons
workload and vast knowledge required
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  HertfordshireOctober 1, 2014
Hertfordshire is a great council to work for and I am very luck to be involved with their outstanding and committed learning disability service. The management team are passionate and supportive and the service I currently work for has been so supportive of my personal development and improving my overall practice.

The one negative is that salaries are considerably lower then neighbouring authorities, though I recognise that with many of them being London boroughs this may be a contributing factor.
Pros
good leadership, values and inspiring colleagues (within learning disability services)
Cons
salaries are not competitive with neighbouring authorities
Good job, friendly environment
Customer service advisor (Former Employee) –  Serco, StevenageFebruary 26, 2014
At Serco I was part of the customer service team. My daily duties involved answering calls regarding council related queries. It was my responsibility to provide a good service to customers, and ensure that they received the answers that they required. It was important that I was attentive, responded quickly to any queries and conveyed the information clearly to customers. I also took part in administrative duties; including typing and filing. Good IT skills and the use of Microsoft word and excel were also essential for this job role.
Character shaping
In Year Admissions and Transport Officer (Current Employee) –  Hertford, HertfordshireNovember 25, 2013
Working at Hertfordshire County Council has given me an insight into the strategic work undertaken within public sector jobs.

I gained experience and knowledge within a political working environment along with understanding the importance of formal and informal communication and report writing.

Working for Local Government has been challenging and very rewarding with regards to my CV but the annual salary for the workload required of those in the Admissions Team is not of an equal nature.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
annual salary
Interesting but slow paced
Commissioning Manager, Accommodation Solutions (Current Employee) –  StevenageSeptember 23, 2013
Managing multiple accommodation based projects.
Extremely slow paced due to the number of departments that have to approve processes with political restrictions.
I manage three staff and report directly to the Head of Department.
Co-workers have all been there for a number of years.
Hardest part of the job is staying motivated when my colleagues morale is low.
Most enjoyable part of the job is the freedom to manage projects as I see fit to do so.
Pros
work/life balance is extremely good
Cons
unhappy workplace
Welcoming workplace, supportive company
Finance Assistant (Current Employee) –  StevenageMay 28, 2013
Working for Hertfordshire County Council is an enjoyable place to work where you are supported throughout your career.

Personal and professional development is encouraged.

There are always opportunities to progress in your career including projects and secondments where you are able to experience different areas of the company for between 6 - 12 months.

Interaction between all levels is encouraged and all senior managers are inviting and encouraging. Colleagues are helpful and polite.
Pros
benefits packages for all areas of your life. personal and professional growth encouraged.
A great place to work
Supprt Officer/Deputy Registration Officer (Current Employee) –  HatfieldDecember 17, 2012
The job I currently do is interesting, and I frequently - daily - lose track of time, although I complete all the required days work. I hardly ever leave at the time I am supposed to leave, as I might be preparing for the following day, or replacing registers in the archive, or writing the days post into the book, or searching for an entry online. So, why am I looking to leave? I, like many of my colleagues, have a "nil hours" contract, and I do not get as many days wokk as I really need. If I had a guaranteed minimum of four days, then you would not now be reading this.
Pros
great place, marvellous people, interesting, fascininating, job.
Cons
the nil hours contract.
Feel good factor
Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Welwyn Garden CityNovember 30, 2012
To provide essential admin support to teachers.

Attend meetings.

Management were on hand in case any problems arised.

Co-workers were also on hand as we worked well as part of a dedicated team.

Hardest part of job was if certain equipment was not available for disabled children.

Team morale/support and able to attend training courses to keep up to date with variable changes of the database.
Pros
bring and share lunches
Cons
meeting last minute deadlines

4.3