Hertfordshire County Council

Hertfordshire County Council Employee Reviews

Rewarding productive workplace
Support Worker/Carer (Current Employee) –  Hertfordshire5 January 2017
Good work life balance . Salary / benefits could be reviewed , Job security No Advancement at present. Management structure unclear Job culture structured
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Benefits of the job
It can be great, but poor management
Youth Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Hertfordshire2 January 2017
Being a youth support worker, no day is ever the same. It is such a rewarding job, and I absolutely love it. Fellow staff mem are supportive, and we do a fantastic job.

However, there is poor management. Management cut projects, and then do not make any provision for your hours which you have lost. Then they say they want to cut your hours because they can't find another project for you to do, which then causes unbelievable stress because your income has been reduced, and you feel that the work you are doing is not valued.

Some districts are good because they have regular staff meetings with part time workers which management attend. Other districts don't have regular staff meetings, and management avoids at all costs.

Overall, it can be a lovely place work, if you have great leadership from management.
Pros
Training, Discounts, Other Staff
Cons
Management, Project Cut, Long Hours with no break (NCS)
Temporary employment
Com (Current Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead16 October 2016
It's a long time ago that I worked here.

I was going through a divorce at the time so it was very helpful in getting me back in the work setting.

Salary was helpful but kept secret as everyone was on different salary scales.

Work was good. Staff in general friendly.
Cons
Hertfordshire is a good authority to work for
Senior Social Worker Children's Services (Current Employee) –  Hertfordshire18 October 2016
I have enjoyed my time in Hertfordshire but it is now time for me to make changes. I would be happy to remain working within Hertfordshire however, my future is in Cornwall therefore I need to leave and go to pasture new.
Pros
Supportive teams car lease scheme and market forces payments yearly
Cons
Long hours on occassions
A Home County pioneering Council, innovative and supportive
Information Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hertford27 September 2016
Market leaders in many of the Government's initiatives, with HCC being used on many occasions to pilot various projects. They are not complacent and look and work hard at how they can keep staff motivated amidst austerity cuts.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Austerity cuts means less people to do the same or more work
Upbeat forward thinking place, great teamwork
Primary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Goffs Oak, Hertfordshire7 December 2016
Loved the school, loved the kids, loved the staff. Wish I could have stayed longer. Wonderful atmosphere and a fab place for children to grow in.
Pros
Making a difference
Trainee Course
Traniee Level 1 Health and Social Care in Adults (Former Employee) –  Stevenage12 December 2016
The HCC traineeship I previously done was interesting, it helped me grow as a person and taught me a lot about people with learning and physical disabilities. A typical day would be doing activities with clients and helping with lunches.
The hardest part of the job was getting emotionally attached to the clients, but the most enjoyable was knowing that you were helping and they were learning and so was you.
Pros
weekends off
Cons
Emotional attachment
Excellent
Admin Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire27 January 2017
Enjoyable workplace and I learnt a lot about Social work and its inner workings. I was able to pick up additional skills and build a better approach to working in busy and demanding environment.
good company to work for
Day services instructor (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire9 January 2017
having not worked for hertfordshire county council for over 20 years i feel that my experiance is no longer up to date or vallied
Welcoming workplace, supportive company
Finance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stevenage28 May 2013
Working for Hertfordshire County Council is an enjoyable place to work where you are supported throughout your career.

Personal and professional development is encouraged.

There are always opportunities to progress in your career including projects and secondments where you are able to experience different areas of the company for between 6 - 12 months.

Interaction between all levels is encouraged and all senior managers are inviting and encouraging. Colleagues are helpful and polite.
Pros
Benefits packages for all areas of your life. Personal and professional growth encouraged.
Fulfilling and Worthwhile Job
Supported Lodgings Carer (Current Employee) –  Hertford, ENG30 September 2013
I have learnt the the benefits of having a stable life whilst working with vulnerable children and have appreciated the upbringing I ahve had coonpared to the young people I ave encountered.
I enjoy being able to amke a difference in their life and to help them achieve their ambitions however small they are.
It can be heart breaking hearing abotu their upbringing but fulfilling when you know the trust is there that they are able to tell you asbout their life.
It is diffciult being objective and trying to understand their feelings towards the person who has done them harm.
The Socail work team cannot be faulted and give both me ad the young person I work with a great deal of support and this support is not 9-5 as my caring role is not 9-5.
Pros
being able to contribute positively in a young persons life
Cons
not alwasy getting the support from outside agencies eg/educational systems
Character shaping
In Year Admissions and Transport Officer (Current Employee) –  Hertford, Hertfordshire25 November 2013
Working at Hertfordshire County Council has given me an insight into the strategic work undertaken within public sector jobs.

I gained experience and knowledge within a political working environment along with understanding the importance of formal and informal communication and report writing.

Working for Local Government has been challenging and very rewarding with regards to my CV but the annual salary for the workload required of those in the Admissions Team is not of an equal nature.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Annual Salary
Day to day running of a busy school office
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead19 March 2016
My day starts at 8.00am. If staff are absent I have to call in casual staff. From 8.30am I am taking phone calls and attending to people coming into the school.
I will undertake any emergencies that arise and prioritise my workload accordingly.
I will make sure the office staff, of which there are 3, are aware of anything they may need to know for the day. Have a meeting with my school business manager who will update me with anything I may need to be aware of.
Depending on the time of the month, I may have to undertake the monthly wages.
I undertake any HR work that may have to be done.
My daily tasks are not the same each day and every day is different.
I think I am learning all the time, even with the length of time I have been there. With the introduction of a school business manager I feel I am being made more aware of the why we do things the way we do.
Each day brought fresh challenges and new concepts of customer care
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harpenden, ENG20 January 2016
An excellent place to work,hard-working team who all got on extremely well and helped each other out in the workplace and in areas where some staff more experienced
Pros
satisfaction
Cons
very long hours
public service with all the pros and cons that entails
Part-time Stock and Reader Development Librarian (Former Employee) –  Hertfordsh4 April 2016
A public service expectation that you will do more for less.
somewhat rigid in its expectations. Offers good training.
Excellent Employer and Pension Scheme
IT Systems Support - Technical Manager (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, ENG10 March 2015
Supporting all aspects of IT for Hertfordshire school, including Networking, Database management, Finance management, Software, Hardware.
Network design and consultancy

Learned Project Management, Incident Management, Software, Hardware and Networking. Commissioning of whole networks and hardware.

Hardest part of the job was the amount of schools and ensuring the highest standards were adhered to.

Most enjoyable part of job was playing an essential part in the learning and development of the children of Herfordshire.
Pros
Job security and pension
Cons
Workload and vast knowledge required
Experience of working within my current department
Service Finder (Current Employee) –  Stevenage, ENG8 September 2015
A good place to work with very supportive colleagues and all working from the same remit in supporting people to enable them to achieve the best that they can whilst maintaining their dignity and respect at all times. To be more open minded. Management structures have changed where I now feel a distinct lack of support and knowledge. Extremely supportive, experienced and knowlegdeable co-workers. Not being able to support someone due to lack of provisions and support. Working alongside family's and getting the best outcome for all.
Pros
Statues of working for a county council
Cons
Red tape or lack of
Busy Lively
Environment Solicitor (Current Employee) –  Hertford North24 February 2016
It is two and a half hours from Brentford to Hertford North travelling. Apart from the distance it is a good place to work.
Life experience
Goldsborough Enablement Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, ENG20 August 2015
Every day at work is different, exciting but challenging at times.
The management is great and supportive,
I learnt a lot whilst working here it was defiantly a life experience.
The hardest part of the job was when you wasn't to sure on how to handle a situation so you would have to think for yourself a lot as you would be out at work on your own.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing a difference you could make inn someone's life whether it was a piece of equipment or just good service that was provided that made someone happy.
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Hertfordshire1 October 2014
Hertfordshire is a great council to work for and I am very luck to be involved with their outstanding and committed learning disability service. The management team are passionate and supportive and the service I currently work for has been so supportive of my personal development and improving my overall practice.

The one negative is that salaries are considerably lower then neighbouring authorities, though I recognise that with many of them being London boroughs this may be a contributing factor.
Pros
Good leadership, values and inspiring colleagues (within learning disability services)
Cons
Salaries are not competitive with neighbouring authorities

4.3