Hertfordshire County Council Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A hard working and dedicated team
Assistant Network Officer (Former Employee), ENGAugust 4, 2015
We all worked hard together to achieve the main objectives of monitoring utility works and permit requirements and adherence, and ensuring that all third party complaints and queries were dealt with as a priority.
Unique
Foster Carer (Current Employee), ENGJuly 28, 2015
Pros: This is only work experience meaning I am able to manage my own time
Cons: Space from parents, children's negative behaviour
Rather than working in a typical workplace such as a shop or an office, I am able to stay at home looking after children. This ensures that I can balance with my own life and education, as my mother is the foster parent. I have learned how the way children were neglected in their past, can affect their behaviour (which usually is not completely positive). Since it is not my job, it is just experience, I do not see co-workers. The hardest part is dealing with the child's negative side, such as tantrums, crying or making a mess. However, everyone knows that this is normal for children, it is just the experience of understanding them. My most enjoyable part of being a foster carer, is having the thought that I can make a difference to a young child's life for the better.
Workplace with a lot of variety and the opportunity to make a difference
Library Assistant (Current Employee), St Albans, ENGMay 15, 2015
Pros: Varied work, positive work, great colleagues.
Cons: Low pay and little career progression opportunities
A varied job which focuses around providing excellent customer service whilst ensuring the operational efficiency of the Library.
Very friendly and helpful co-workers, which helps when dealing with the occasional difficult customer, the hardest part of the job.
The most enjoyable part of the job is providing a helpful service to the public and the sense of achievement this brings, from assisting a customer find health information to providing IT tutoring.
Excellent Employer and Pension Scheme
IT Systems Support - Technical Manager (Former Employee), Stevenage, ENGMarch 10, 2015
Pros: job security and pension
Cons: workload and vast knowledge required
Supporting all aspects of IT for Hertfordshire school, including Networking, Database management, Finance management, Software, Hardware.
Network design and consultancy

Learned Project Management, Incident Management, Software, Hardware and Networking. Commissioning of whole networks and hardware.

Hardest part of the job was the amount of schools and ensuring the highest standards were adhered to.

Most enjoyable part of job was playing an essential part in the learning and development of the children of Herfordshire.
working as part of Fostering Team
Foster Carer (Current Employee), Hemel Hempstead, ENGJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: watching a child grown and florish before your eyes.
Cons: 24/7
I do a job of looking after children less fortunate that our own, help them find themselves, believe in themselves, help them socialise, achieve at school and feel loved.
Social Worker (Current Employee), HertfordshireOctober 1, 2014
Pros: good leadership, values and inspiring colleagues (within learning disability services)
Cons: salaries are not competitive with neighbouring authorities
Hertfordshire is a great council to work for and I am very luck to be involved with their outstanding and committed learning disability service. The management team are passionate and supportive and the service I currently work for has been so supportive of my personal development and improving my overall practice.

The one negative is that salaries are considerably lower then neighbouring authorities, though I recognise that with many of them being London boroughs this may be a contributing factor.
A busy happy bus...
Driver/Attendant (Current Employee), Watford.September 14, 2014
Pros: making a differance to someones life.
Cons: getting stuck in traffic and chasing your tail..
Upon arriving at my job I pick up my paper work and folder , check the work sheet up for the day.I then proceed to my bus where I do a vehicle check. I start with an overall check. I will then check the tyre pressure, oil and so on. Many of the service users are regular so you no what days certain users require the service. when I arrive at any destination and don't get any answer I contact my manager and make them aware of the situation. I will then contact my co-worker as they maybe the nominated driver picking the service user up and inform them of the situation. I will drop my passenger of to there destination take them in as in some cases they can be going to a club or a day centre.. The hardest part of the job is Traffic.. The most enjoyable is the service user and knowing you are providing a service to people who other wise would not get out.
interesting
Test-Purchase shopper (Former Employee), ENGJuly 5, 2014
taken to various shops and asked to purchase products then give feedback
Nice place to work
Midday Supervisor (Current Employee), HatfieldMarch 17, 2014
Pros: nice people
Cons: need more hours
I work for a primary school in Hatfield. I am a midday lunch assistant. I work mainly in the school hall. I have learned a lot from working with children but I would like to get back into the office environment.
Atmosphere not always good
Administration (Current Employee), Hitchin, ENGMarch 3, 2014
Pros: local
Cons: cannot live on wages
Meeting and Greeting, registers and dinner money on SIMS typing, emails, sch comms, photocopying, looking after children who have hurt themselves. All sorts school office jobs.

Management not that good

Get on with co-workers well
Good job, friendly environment
Customer service advisor (Former Employee), Serco, StevenageFebruary 26, 2014
At Serco I was part of the customer service team. My daily duties involved answering calls regarding council related queries. It was my responsibility to provide a good service to customers, and ensure that they received the answers that they required. It was important that I was attentive, responded quickly to any queries and conveyed the information clearly to customers. I also took part in administrative duties; including typing and filing. Good IT skills and the use of Microsoft word and excel were also essential for this job role.
good solid place to work
Head Cook (Current Employee), Bishops StortfordFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: nice team
Cons: not much progresstion
a well run and solid operation. Funs and enjoyable place to work
Workplace
Administrator (Current Employee), HertfordshireDecember 15, 2013
Pros: discounted shopping
Hertfordshire County Council has supported me well as a workplace. I got on well with everyone in the office however now I am relocating so have to move on and find something new.

The most enjoyable part of the job was planning events round the county for families.

My day would change now and again from 100% data input to normal admin jobs such s filing, arhiving, drafting/printing letters.
Character shaping
In Year Admissions and Transport Officer (Current Employee), Hertford, HertfordshireNovember 25, 2013
Pros: flexible working hours
Cons: annual salary
Working at Hertfordshire County Council has given me an insight into the strategic work undertaken within public sector jobs.

I gained experience and knowledge within a political working environment along with understanding the importance of formal and informal communication and report writing.

Working for Local Government has been challenging and very rewarding with regards to my CV but the annual salary for the workload required of those in the Admissions Team is not of an equal nature.
fun workplace
Accounts Assistant (Former Employee), hertfordNovember 19, 2013
A lovely environment with kind people.

Dealt with schools daily and there capital expenditure.
No job security, but fun to help people
Business Support Officer (Former Employee), Apsley, HertfordshireNovember 10, 2013
Pros: excellent work/life balance
Cons: high staff turnover; lack of job security.
I enjoyed working at Hertfordshire County Council, but due to the budget cuts in government and the constantly changing government leadership, there was little continuity and no room for advancement. The best part of my job was working with customers and helping them resolve their problems and concerns.
great place to work
Frontline Child Protection Social Worker (Former Employee), Hemel Hempstead, ENGOctober 30, 2013
Great place to work. management very supportive. 6 weeks holiday a year was great.
Fulfilling and Worthwhile Job
Supported Lodgings Carer (Current Employee), Hertford, ENGSeptember 30, 2013
Pros: being able to contribute positively in a young persons life
Cons: not alwasy getting the support from outside agencies eg/educational systems
I have learnt the the benefits of having a stable life whilst working with vulnerable children and have appreciated the upbringing I ahve had coonpared to the young people I ave encountered.
I enjoy being able to amke a difference in their life and to help them achieve their ambitions however small they are.
It can be heart breaking hearing abotu their upbringing but fulfilling when you know the trust is there that they are able to tell you asbout their life.
It is diffciult being objective and trying to understand their feelings towards the person who has done them harm.
The Socail work team cannot be faulted and give both me ad the young person I work with a great deal of support and this support is not 9-5 as my caring role is not 9-5.
Interesting but slow paced
Commissioning Manager, Accommodation Solutions (Current Employee), StevenageSeptember 23, 2013
Pros: work/life balance is extremely good
Cons: unhappy workplace
Managing multiple accommodation based projects.
Extremely slow paced due to the number of departments that have to approve processes with political restrictions.
I manage three staff and report directly to the Head of Department.
Co-workers have all been there for a number of years.
Hardest part of the job is staying motivated when my colleagues morale is low.
Most enjoyable part of the job is the freedom to manage projects as I see fit to do so.
Was a very good place to work in
Assistant Manager in care (Current Employee), Letchworth, ENGAugust 20, 2013
A typical day was not typical.
I learnt a lot of the skills i know about working with children with learning difficulties in my last job. Management was good. I enjoyed working with all my co-workers. Dealing with dishonest people. I enjoyed working with the children and seeing them thrive and move on to adult care.