Hertfordshire County Council Employee Reviews

Day to day running of a busy school office
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Hemel HempsteadMarch 19, 2016
My day starts at 8.00am. If staff are absent I have to call in casual staff. From 8.30am I am taking phone calls and attending to people coming into the school.
I will undertake any emergencies that arise and prioritise my workload accordingly.
I will make sure the office staff, of which there are 3, are aware of anything they may need to know for the day. Have a meeting with my school business manager who will update me with anything I may need to be aware of.
Depending on the time of the month, I may have to undertake the monthly wages.
I undertake any HR work that may have to be done.
My daily tasks are not the same each day and every day is different.
I think I am learning all the time, even with the length of time I have been there. With the introduction of a school business manager I feel I am being made more aware of the why we do things the way we do.
Busy Lively
Environment Solicitor (Current Employee) –  Hertford NorthFebruary 24, 2016
It is two and a half hours from Brentford to Hertford North travelling. Apart from the distance it is a good place to work.
public service with all the pros and cons that entails
Part-time Stock and Reader Development Librarian (Former Employee) –  HertfordshApril 4, 2016
A public service expectation that you will do more for less.
somewhat rigid in its expectations. Offers good training.
Experience of working within my current department
Service Finder (Current Employee) –  Stevenage, ENGSeptember 8, 2015
A good place to work with very supportive colleagues and all working from the same remit in supporting people to enable them to achieve the best that they can whilst maintaining their dignity and respect at all times. To be more open minded. Management structures have changed where I now feel a distinct lack of support and knowledge. Extremely supportive, experienced and knowlegdeable co-workers. Not being able to support someone due to lack of provisions and support. Working alongside family's and getting the best outcome for all.
Pros
Statues of working for a county council
Cons
Red tape or lack of
Very busy place to work in, always giving the best services.
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  StevenageNovember 4, 2015
I can take anywhere between 100-150 calls a day. Always helping others and helping customers.
The management is OK.
My collogues are brilliant they make my days at work fun.
Pros
3 Lunches 2x15Min Breaks. 1x30Min Lunch.
Cons
Always different hours, 8-4pm - 9-5pm - 10-6pm - 12-8pm
Life experience
Goldsborough Enablement Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, ENGAugust 20, 2015
Every day at work is different, exciting but challenging at times.
The management is great and supportive,
I learnt a lot whilst working here it was defiantly a life experience.
The hardest part of the job was when you wasn't to sure on how to handle a situation so you would have to think for yourself a lot as you would be out at work on your own.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing a difference you could make inn someone's life whether it was a piece of equipment or just good service that was provided that made someone happy.
Welcoming workplace, supportive company
Finance Assistant (Current Employee) –  StevenageMay 28, 2013
Working for Hertfordshire County Council is an enjoyable place to work where you are supported throughout your career.

Personal and professional development is encouraged.

There are always opportunities to progress in your career including projects and secondments where you are able to experience different areas of the company for between 6 - 12 months.

Interaction between all levels is encouraged and all senior managers are inviting and encouraging. Colleagues are helpful and polite.
Pros
benefits packages for all areas of your life. personal and professional growth encouraged.
Fulfilling and Worthwhile Job
Supported Lodgings Carer (Current Employee) –  Hertford, ENGSeptember 30, 2013
I have learnt the the benefits of having a stable life whilst working with vulnerable children and have appreciated the upbringing I ahve had coonpared to the young people I ave encountered.
I enjoy being able to amke a difference in their life and to help them achieve their ambitions however small they are.
It can be heart breaking hearing abotu their upbringing but fulfilling when you know the trust is there that they are able to tell you asbout their life.
It is diffciult being objective and trying to understand their feelings towards the person who has done them harm.
The Socail work team cannot be faulted and give both me ad the young person I work with a great deal of support and this support is not 9-5 as my caring role is not 9-5.
Pros
being able to contribute positively in a young persons life
Cons
not alwasy getting the support from outside agencies eg/educational systems
Productive and social place to worlk
Midday Supervisory Assistant at Spellbrook School (Current Employee) –  SpellbrookJanuary 5, 2016
Work is always sociable and busy with a great staff team working together every day to over come demanding parts of the job and every day tasks,
Positive
Senior Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Welwyn Garden City, ENGDecember 31, 2015
I have thoroughly enjoyed my time working in the care industry however I am now looking for a job that has a more formal and manageable shift pattern.
Character shaping
In Year Admissions and Transport Officer (Current Employee) –  Hertford, HertfordshireNovember 25, 2013
Working at Hertfordshire County Council has given me an insight into the strategic work undertaken within public sector jobs.

I gained experience and knowledge within a political working environment along with understanding the importance of formal and informal communication and report writing.

Working for Local Government has been challenging and very rewarding with regards to my CV but the annual salary for the workload required of those in the Admissions Team is not of an equal nature.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
annual salary
Unique
Foster Carer (Current Employee) –  ENGJuly 28, 2015
Rather than working in a typical workplace such as a shop or an office, I am able to stay at home looking after children. This ensures that I can balance with my own life and education, as my mother is the foster parent. I have learned how the way children were neglected in their past, can affect their behaviour (which usually is not completely positive). Since it is not my job, it is just experience, I do not see co-workers. The hardest part is dealing with the child's negative side, such as tantrums, crying or making a mess. However, everyone knows that this is normal for children, it is just the experience of understanding them. My most enjoyable part of being a foster carer, is having the thought that I can make a difference to a young child's life for the better.
Pros
This is only work experience meaning I am able to manage my own time
Cons
Space from parents, children's negative behaviour
Excellent Employer and Pension Scheme
IT Systems Support - Technical Manager (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, ENGMarch 10, 2015
Supporting all aspects of IT for Hertfordshire school, including Networking, Database management, Finance management, Software, Hardware.
Network design and consultancy

Learned Project Management, Incident Management, Software, Hardware and Networking. Commissioning of whole networks and hardware.

Hardest part of the job was the amount of schools and ensuring the highest standards were adhered to.

Most enjoyable part of job was playing an essential part in the learning and development of the children of Herfordshire.
Pros
job security and pension
Cons
workload and vast knowledge required
Workplace with a lot of variety and the opportunity to make a difference
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  St Albans, ENGMay 15, 2015
A varied job which focuses around providing excellent customer service whilst ensuring the operational efficiency of the Library.
Very friendly and helpful co-workers, which helps when dealing with the occasional difficult customer, the hardest part of the job.
The most enjoyable part of the job is providing a helpful service to the public and the sense of achievement this brings, from assisting a customer find health information to providing IT tutoring.
Pros
Varied work, positive work, great colleagues.
Cons
Low pay and little career progression opportunities
rewarding workplace
Driver/Attendant (Former Employee) –  victoria house day centreNovember 11, 2015
transporting vunerable and elderly clients to day centres I found this job very rewarding and enjoyable unfortunately they lost the contract
A hard working and dedicated team
Assistant Network Officer (Former Employee) –  ENGAugust 4, 2015
We all worked hard together to achieve the main objectives of monitoring utility works and permit requirements and adherence, and ensuring that all third party complaints and queries were dealt with as a priority.
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  HertfordshireOctober 1, 2014
Hertfordshire is a great council to work for and I am very luck to be involved with their outstanding and committed learning disability service. The management team are passionate and supportive and the service I currently work for has been so supportive of my personal development and improving my overall practice.

The one negative is that salaries are considerably lower then neighbouring authorities, though I recognise that with many of them being London boroughs this may be a contributing factor.
Pros
good leadership, values and inspiring colleagues (within learning disability services)
Cons
salaries are not competitive with neighbouring authorities
No job security, but fun to help people
Business Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Apsley, HertfordshireNovember 10, 2013
I enjoyed working at Hertfordshire County Council, but due to the budget cuts in government and the constantly changing government leadership, there was little continuity and no room for advancement. The best part of my job was working with customers and helping them resolve their problems and concerns.
Pros
excellent work/life balance
Cons
high staff turnover; lack of job security.
Interesting but slow paced
Commissioning Manager, Accommodation Solutions (Current Employee) –  StevenageSeptember 23, 2013
Managing multiple accommodation based projects.
Extremely slow paced due to the number of departments that have to approve processes with political restrictions.
I manage three staff and report directly to the Head of Department.
Co-workers have all been there for a number of years.
Hardest part of the job is staying motivated when my colleagues morale is low.
Most enjoyable part of the job is the freedom to manage projects as I see fit to do so.
Pros
work/life balance is extremely good
Cons
unhappy workplace
A busy happy bus...
Driver/Attendant (Current Employee) –  Watford.September 14, 2014
Upon arriving at my job I pick up my paper work and folder , check the work sheet up for the day.I then proceed to my bus where I do a vehicle check. I start with an overall check. I will then check the tyre pressure, oil and so on. Many of the service users are regular so you no what days certain users require the service. when I arrive at any destination and don't get any answer I contact my manager and make them aware of the situation. I will then contact my co-worker as they maybe the nominated driver picking the service user up and inform them of the situation. I will drop my passenger of to there destination take them in as in some cases they can be going to a club or a day centre.. The hardest part of the job is Traffic.. The most enjoyable is the service user and knowing you are providing a service to people who other wise would not get out.
Pros
making a differance to someones life.
Cons
getting stuck in traffic and chasing your tail..

4.3