"The Heartland Agency is dedicated to helping children and families by providing programs that advance optimal development, advance children's emotional, physical and intellectual health, increase children's safety, and link families with their communities for more positive family outcomes."
The Heartland Agency’s EvenStart program is a special education and treatment program serving children between 3 and 5 years who come from a variety of 'at risk' situations, including backgrounds of trauma, abuse, neglect and poverty. We are currently seeking an energetic and dynamic individual to join our Agency as a Preschool Teacher at our Monterey Park location (6908 26th Avenue NE), commencing August 22, 2013.
The teacher is directly responsible for the delivery of the children’s programs. They will be able to plan and implement creative, developmentally appropriate programming that meets the unique needs of the children in their classroom. Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Plan, prepare and implement the daily lesson plans for the classroom under a Reggio Emilia inspired framework
- Develop Individual Program Plans (IPPs), and ensure that they are carried out appropriately and effectively by members of the classroom team (i.e., Educational Assistants)
- Complete home visits with families to review children’s progress via the IPP, and share strategies to assist in skill carryover between environments
- Consult and connect with management, therapy teams, Reggio consultants and classroom teams to review, brainstorm and implement strategies and ideas
- Assist with self-help skills where needed, including toileting and diapering children
- Ensure that classroom practices meet with Daycare Licensing, Accreditation, Alberta Education and Health & Safety standards
- Provide classroom leadership and coaching to ensure team cohesiveness
- Participate in at least one bussing component throughout the day
- Bachelor of Education degree
- A valid Class 5 driver’s license and willingness to obtain a Class 4 license
- Current first aid certification (can be obtained upon hire within a designated time frame)
- Current criminal record check (including vulnerable sector check)
- Experience with a special needs population is an asset
- Experience/knowledge around working in a Reggio inspired environment is an asset; willingness and openness to learn more about this approach is required
Interested applicants are encouraged to submit an updated resume and cover letter via email.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.