Heart and Stroke Foundation Employee Reviews in Canada

Telerecruiter (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 18, 2016
The telerecruiter job was good for students or anyone who wants to get a few hours work in the evenings. It was a bit of a sales environment, where we had to achieve certain recruitment goals per a day. Sometimes you got more than you aimed for sometimes you got less. Unfortunately the supervisor could be a little aggressive if you got none, which made some of the employees a bit upset. Other than that it was a good temporary position.
Pros
nice coworkers and you contribute to a great cause.
Cons
Sales environment
It was a great place to begin my career
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 18, 2016
It was a great place to begin my career. The people are amazing and we do great work. I have learned a lot from HSF.

I love speaking with our donors and stakeholders and learning about their personal connection to the cause.
Fun and flexible schedule
Volunteer Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 20, 2016
It was fun because i could get to walk outside and go door to door to other peoples houses, this would be whenever I had time to because they give a certain timeline to complete the task, and it was a very generous amount of time.
Interesting place to work at
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONMarch 9, 2016
Even though there was no pay but working at Heart and Stroke Foundation was an extraordinary experience that you can know great people and know how to communicate professionally.
Pros
great working atmosphere
Cons
N/A
Full of people working towards heart and stroke awareness.
Volunteer Engagement Coordinator (Current Employee) –  1373 Victoria St N, Kitchener ONApril 21, 2016
A very interesting place to work considering it depends highly on a large volunteer base. Recruiting solid people devoted to our purpose is key.
Great Experience
Human Resource Officer (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMay 4, 2016
Great Experience learnt how the Non profit organization works. Trained new volunteers how the organization works and operates
Pros
Great work ethic and employees
Productive workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJanuary 25, 2016
It was challenging, fun and productive environment. Supervisors were open and welcoming to new ideas. Colleagues are very corporative and are open to opinions and suggestions to supervisors.
Account Support
Account Support-Internship (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 15, 2015
Each day is a busy day with tons of work and through it, I learn how to keep effective time management, pay attention to detail and work in a team. Management as well as co-workers are supportive and provide a friendly atmosphere. The hardest part of this job is going through many records to find a single information simply because the code for tracking it wasn't provided during the initial recording
It was a great place to work at
Telerecruiter (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCSeptember 1, 2015
I had to call people, and ask them if they would like to go canvassing for the heart and stroke foundation. I found this to be a great job but it was hard when people yelled at you for calling them. I found with a soft friendly voice that people were more apt to Want to do this!
Pros
I love working for a company I believe in
Cons
The job was hard with people yelling at you and hanging up on you
Professionally and personally rewarding position
Area Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONAugust 4, 2015
Responsible for the recruitment of Jump Rope for Heart events throughout the Halton region. Program revenue is ¾ of the area office fundraising goal. Promoting healthy eating, physical exercise and living smoke free to youth through Heart Healthy Kids presentations. Exceeding in recruiting many fit living fundraising events within the region. Consistently achieving fundraising goals. Increased the recruitment of over 20,000 fundraising participants within 3 years. Coordinated and developed the top 2 fundraising schools in Ontario.
Pros
Working within the community
Energetic workplace
Volunteer Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCSeptember 10, 2015
My volunteer work for Heart and Stroke Foundation has been exceptional. They are always willing and able to work around my schedule and they understand that the life of a student is busy. They appreciate my help, too.
Pros
Meeting new people
Unsupportive Management Team
ASSISTANT ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONSeptember 23, 2015
I was struggling during the first few weeks working there as I did not get a proper training. I got blamed for something I did not do and I think the manager just wanted to let her stress out on me.
Great cause, good people
Staff (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 28, 2015
Staff genuinely cares about the Mission. Great volunteer group. Challenging work environment especially as there are too many competing priorities across the Foundation.
Pros
Great cause
Cons
Long work hours
productive and comfortable work envroment
telephone recruiter (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONAugust 24, 2015
- easy environment to work in
- the supervisor is extremely nice and easy to get along with
- very straight forward job easy to get started
Pros
great salary, fun job
Cons
only three and a half hour shifts, and the job is seasonal
Nice friendly aroma. Learned new good helpful skills and met new people.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam BC CanadaMay 28, 2015
Since I went as a volunteer everyday was different for me. Some days I would do data entry on the computers, others I will organize or count up all the donations. The days I went in to volunteer usually consisted of different people who were all very friendly. The hardest part of the job was to go online and find good places to advertise for the big bike event . The most enjoyable part was meeting new people and learning new skills.
Pros
Volunteer whever i want to. Nice people. Simple but useful jobs.
Cons
If organizing it can get boring fast. No pay
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONOctober 5, 2015
Very good foundation to work with. They do many good things for the community as well as supporting and encouraging the people who come along side of them volenteering.
Cons
Sensitization in regards to heart and stroke and its prevailing problems
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJuly 21, 2015
Very Educative in Heart and Stroke and how certain aspects can be prevented and avoided and also events organizing inorder to sensitize on heart and stroke and its prevailing problems.
Great place to learn.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 26, 2015
Working as an office assistant allowed me to have various duties such as: filing papers, making spreadsheets, cleaning and sorting the backroom, shredding paper and other similar tasks. I learned how to be a team player and complete duties fast and efficiently. My manager was great and she was an effective leader. There was no hard part of the job for me. The most enjoyable part was completing my tasks perfectly and quickly that my manager had nothing else for me to do.
A Great Working Environment
Telerecruiter (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONFebruary 23, 2015
The environment was very positive no matter the situation. Management had great organizational skills and made everyone feel part of the team. My paycheque would not be very large at times because of small cliental but I learned to improve on my communication skills and think "outside of the box".
Pros
baked goods break
Cons
not enough hours
Top Heavy - Donor dollars waisted
assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 19, 2015
Organization is top heavy , went through a period before the foundation became a national foundation promoting many employees into management/director positions - only to go through big lay offs a few years later (where did the money go) with most of the employees who do the 'grunt work' to raise the money to get laid off. An example of wasting donor dollars, small office of 5 employees - foundation needs 2 managers to manage them and pay 2 manager salaries with money raised by donors. This organization WAISTS donor dollars