Heart and Stroke Foundation

Heart and Stroke Foundation Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great place to learn.
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Brampton, ONFebruary 26, 2015
Working as an office assistant allowed me to have various duties such as: filing papers, making spreadsheets, cleaning and sorting the backroom, shredding paper and other similar tasks. I learned how to be a team player and complete duties fast and efficiently. My manager was great and she was an effective leader. There was no hard part of the job for me. The most enjoyable part was completing my tasks perfectly and quickly that my manager had nothing else for me to do.
A Great Working Environment
Telerecruiter (Former Employee), Guelph, ONFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: baked goods break
Cons: not enough hours
The environment was very positive no matter the situation. Management had great organizational skills and made everyone feel part of the team. My paycheque would not be very large at times because of small cliental but I learned to improve on my communication skills and think "outside of the box".
intense expectations with little time on a contract with limited funding
Person to Person Campaign Coordinator (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: good cause
Cons: no balance
very nice people to work with, and I enjoy the fact of helping a great cause, but life is far too out of balance, not healthy
Top Heavy - Donor dollars waisted
assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 19, 2015
Organization is top heavy , went through a period before the foundation became a national foundation promoting many employees into management/director positions - only to go through big lay offs a few years later (where did the money go) with most of the employees who do the 'grunt work' to raise the money to get laid off. An example of wasting donor dollars, small office of 5 employees - foundation needs 2 managers to manage them and pay 2 manager salaries with money raised by donors. This organization WAISTS donor dollars
Collected Donations
Volunteer Donation Colector (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONDecember 5, 2014
Walked door to door
People skills
Heart And stroke foundation
Sister
Getting donations
Walking around in the dark
Close family like working place
Tele-Recruiter (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 27, 2014
Pros: home like environment
Cons: short hour shifts
My day starts with gathering all needed files and setting up my work place.
I've learned to adapt or change for a better results.
The management team work like guardians as they not only help in work place problems but also gives valuable advice for being a successful and better individual.
My co workers are like my close friends as we all have made home like environment at our job place.
The hardest part is when my shift gets over and I've to pack up.
The most enjoyable moment of my job is when somebody gets a new recruit and we reach our weekly goal.
excellent working environment
Volunteer Data Entry/Office Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJune 25, 2014
Pros: free activities and trips to events and rides
Cons: no hiring positions
learned how to ride the 30 people big bike
learned fundraising
interacted with many people
participated in indoor work and outdoor work
Very rewarding
Sales Associate (Former Employee), West Island (Various locations)June 4, 2014
Pros: rewarding
Cons: being ignored by passer-bys
Enjoyed working for them selling various small items, several times a year very much. I often did it with a friend, or co-worker and it was very rewarding for everyone involved.
Fast paced, short delivery timelines, tech-oriented and revenue oriented company
Manager, Surrey/Langley/White Office (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 7, 2014
Pros: focus on what needs to get done. be efficient with your time and that of others.
Cons: no real long term vision. dynamics could turn into work politics
Generating revenue was paramount. Everything revolved around that but it was a fun and easy to get along with people environment. People were very focused on the tasks at hand and what the deliverables were.
Fun but busy place to work-always understaffed
Program Coordinator (Current Employee), Cape Breton, NSMarch 29, 2014
-enjoy interacting with the community/volunteers
-lots of data entry
-isolated
-continual changeover in staff
daily-interaction with business leaders and community volunteers and data entry along with bank deposits
Interesting graphics on plane.
Office Services Intern (Former Employee), Downtown, TorontoFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: getting rewarded for a great job done.
Cons: long hours
-Come to work and greet co-workers/management then begin work by getting direction from employer
-Learned to work on task at hand, focus, and how to bring in quota
-They have to be able to deal with pressure
-Waiting and expecting
-Getting projects done
Heart and Stroke Foundation
Administrative Assistant/Reception (Former Employee), Saint John, NBJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: people in office are very eager to assist with any questions
Cons: they did not have enough funds being a non profit to hire me full time
Heart and Stroke foundation introduced me to many tasks that would be held by someone in an Office Administrative field.

I was able to do all tasks in a short period of time and to a high standard. I was able to be left unassisted within 4 days of being onsite. I am a quick and efficient person who learns tasks quickly. I am well liked by all employees as I have a great spirit and good team work skills.
Productive, growing experience, fun working atmosphre
Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 28, 2013
* Good management

* Nice co-workers

* Got an opportunity to use and improve my technical skills
having so much fun with the kids
Volunteer Work (Current Employee), Oakville, ONAugust 27, 2013
My typical day at work most of the time going out with the kids to the park , library ending them to their activities. I learned a lot giving best care to the kids , emotion being more and more patient. Management are great . Teaching kids the good things and polite way. Co workers comes out very friendly,the hardest part of the job is when there is unexpected happenings. The enjoyable part of the job is when the kids learned good things and acting nicely to people with respect.
Productive place of work.
Volunteer Work (Former Employee), St. John's, NLJuly 11, 2013
Pros: experience
I did not work there on a a salary level. As a volunteer I found it to be a worthwhile cause.
Productive and fun day
Extracurricular Activities/Volunteer (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJuly 5, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: sometimes got boring
A typical day would be organizing paperwork and working on calculating totals. I learnt how to improve my mathematical skills. I met new people and got to talk to them on a regular basis. The hardest part was when the pledges got misplaced or mixed around with others so it got confusing. The enjoyable part was when i got to do the calculations and paperwork because i like doing that.
Good
Canvasser (Former Employee), Markham, ONJune 21, 2013
Working in a month for Heart and Stroke Foundation was really cool because I got to help people and spread awareness. The hardest part of the job was to dedicate some time to go walk around your neighborhood.
volunteer
Canvassing/Entry-Level Consultant (Former Employee), Brampton, ONMay 11, 2013
this was a volunteer experience, i didn't get paid for doing this but i did gain experience that i could use later in a job.
Types of work
Canvasser (Former Employee), Prince George, BCMay 8, 2013
I was on a mission in day to day canvassing for the Heart and Stroke Foundation. I did not know any of my co workers as I was working independently. Through the experience, I developed stronger interaction skills with other people. The job is fairly easy, I just need to talk to the people I was canvassing.
Many areas to improve on
Anonymous (Current Employee), Calgary AbertaMay 1, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: poor organizational communication, poor management, barriers to progress and advancement
The organization has a lot of potential but due to problems with upper management and deplorable internal communication there are barriers everywhere you turn. First of all, the organization lacks appropriate structure. If you attempt to make a positive change, typically your suggestion is shot down or not followed through with, which is frustrating and leads to high levels of employee apathy. Additionally, due to some major organizational changes nationally, executive staff and management are unable to focus on the problems within Alberta due to commitments pertaining to national unification, which worsens the problems at home. Once we are operating as a cohesive organization across Canada, I can see it working well, but for the moment this is a stressful and tumultuous environment with heavy workloads and little hope of advancement from within. On the plus side they let you set your own hours within reason, which is nice as it promotes work life balance and allows you to work during your most productive times. Also most of the staff are very nice, which is a major factor in employee retention.