Health Canada Employee Reviews in Canada

Miss working here so much
Records Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 11, 2016
The management was amazing and I was sad when my contract ended. I would love to go back. People were good to me there. I wish this job was permanent. Overall I was happy here and the job was good
Pros
I was always busy, I got let go early and paid for the full day a few times
Cons
Busy work environment, Great team work
Medical Transportation Benefit Analyst (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONAugust 9, 2016
I have enjoyed my years at Health Canada. I enjoy the busy environment and the different duties we have to do to complete a days work. I enjoy dealing with client in person and also on the phone.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
favortisium
A lot of changes in the past few years
A/Manager (A/AS-03) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 7, 2016
Can be quite a challenging place to work at. Have been lucky enough to work in several different areas within Health Canada and have gained a wealth of knowledge because of it.
Pros
flexible hours
Program Manager / Policy Analyst
Strategic Planning and Policy Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 3, 2016
This Department provides the opportunity to work on issues that directly affect the Health of Canadians. The management is structured and efficient. Great work location.
Pros
Great co-workers with similar values.
Junior Licences and Permits Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 4, 2016
A typical day at work is busy but not overwhelming, screening and reviewing applications. I learned a great amount about industrial hemp regulation and the governmental processes involved. The most enjoyable part of this job was the science aspect involved with the regulations and the screening/reviewing process. At first, it was a little difficult to keep up with the work but it is very manageable.
Great job
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 30, 2016
This was a great experience for me as I was a cooperative student. The job security was excellent and I really wish I could go back again more permanently.
Pros
Great boss and work environment
Cons
Too far from home
Great environment
Undercover Researcher (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONApril 9, 2016
As my first job i had the great opportunity to develop multiple skills right from the beginning. Especially with organizational skills and communication were the most developed.
Pros
fast and easy
Cons
Overall great department of Government to work for.
FSWEP Student - Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tunney's Pasture, ONFebruary 23, 2016
I really have enjoyed my time at Health Canada. I enjoy the work, the systems, the procedures, and my co-workers. The only downfall is that I am unaware of the stability that I hold in this position since I am a contracted FSWEP student.
Large Corporation
Senior Informatics Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 23, 2015
Oracle was a fast paced highly motivating place to work. There was always lots of travel and presentations. I learned many interesting things at Oracle and have many friends who I still see in the city.
Had pros and cons. I stayed there for 23 years.
Secretary to the Regional Nursing Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 28, 2015
Good co-workers. Management was 50/50. After 23 years it was time to move on and see what another department was like.

It was good to have the opportunity to work in various units to gain different experiences.
Good job security
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 26, 2015
My time as a civil servant with the Government of Canada was one with several highs and lows. I did have the pleasure to finish my time with Health Canada working for a great manager but the hardest part of the job was the constant turnover in management which lead to an unstable work environment. The was also rampant nepotism that created a workplace environment that was not enjoyable and ultimately was the reason I choose to leave this job.
Pros
Decent pay with great benifits
Cons
Poor working environment
Good department to start out
Personnel Security Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 31, 2015
As it is a large department, it suffered from having an ever sprawling mandate. The ever shifting priorities made it difficult to juggle the work/life balance.
a good place to work
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 27, 2015
Install OS on PC's, fix pc issues, and other trouble shooting responsibilities. My Manger was a great guy. Good Lunch area facilities. Good View from the Lunch facility of Ottawa River.
Productive and fulfilling
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKOctober 18, 2015
This job is fulfilling but demading. It is equally stressful due to the high volume. A lot of attention to detail is required.
Continuous variety on a day to day basis. Always new things to learn. Great place to work.
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 16, 2015
Great place to work and ability to network on a daily basis. Support staff of all sorts are always willing to help no matter which department you interact with. Lots of red tape but that's expected of a government department. Ability to learn new things and ability to move elsewhere is a great incentive.
Pros
set my own work hours
Cons
red tape
Providing mental health counselling, assessments, support to community members
Mental Health Nurse/Counsellor/Psychiatric consult (Current Employee) –  Northern Manitoba - in a First Nation communityOctober 16, 2015
In my usual day I would see scheduled/non-scheduled clients, providing counselling such as problem solving, coping and various strategies to address various life, social and personal problems. I would also assess clients for Psychiatric issues leading to at times the need for further Psychiatric intervention.
Pros
Providing help to those in need
Cons
Not as much support as needed for this program.
Good working environment
Manager, procurement (Former Employee) –  OttawaOctober 13, 2015
Good working environment. A lot of career opportunities. I have learned a lot through new IT initiatives related to SAP and other software.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 6, 2015
This company was a joy to work for, I was treated with respect and enjoyed the five years of contracts I had with this company.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not a lot of room for growth
Health Canada
Project Officer and Internal Services (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 22, 2015
Throughout my time in the government I have had great experience working for the Health Department. A typical day of work consist of me doing my rounds insuring that all internal services are up to date and functional. I have a great group of co-workers which enables me to be very productive on a day to day basis. Most enjoyable part of my jobs would be the interaction with others, team work and seeing projects come to fruition.
It was the perfect job for me.
Benefits Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 21, 2015
Fun place to work. Awesome people to work with. I feel like I accomplished a lot there. Awesome hours, 2 weeks of 8-4 and 2 weeks of 9-5.. No weekends.. Awesome! Really wish I was still there..
Pros
Got to sit instead of stand for 8 hours
Cons
Call Centre