Health Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Had pros and cons. I stayed there for 23 years.
Secretary to the Regional Nursing Officer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 28, 2015
Good co-workers. Management was 50/50. After 23 years it was time to move on and see what another department was like.

It was good to have the opportunity to work in various units to gain different experiences.
Good job security
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 26, 2015
Pros: Decent pay with great benifits
Cons: Poor working environment
My time as a civil servant with the Government of Canada was one with several highs and lows. I did have the pleasure to finish my time with Health Canada working for a great manager but the hardest part of the job was the constant turnover in management which lead to an unstable work environment. The was also rampant nepotism that created a workplace environment that was not enjoyable and ultimately was the reason I choose to leave this job.
Good department to start out
Personnel Security Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 31, 2015
As it is a large department, it suffered from having an ever sprawling mandate. The ever shifting priorities made it difficult to juggle the work/life balance.
a good place to work
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 27, 2015
Install OS on PC's, fix pc issues, and other trouble shooting responsibilities. My Manger was a great guy. Good Lunch area facilities. Good View from the Lunch facility of Ottawa River.
Productive and fulfilling
Analyst (Current Employee), Regina, SKOctober 18, 2015
This job is fulfilling but demading. It is equally stressful due to the high volume. A lot of attention to detail is required.
Continuous variety on a day to day basis. Always new things to learn. Great place to work.
Various Positions (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBOctober 16, 2015
Pros: set my own work hours
Cons: red tape
Great place to work and ability to network on a daily basis. Support staff of all sorts are always willing to help no matter which department you interact with. Lots of red tape but that's expected of a government department. Ability to learn new things and ability to move elsewhere is a great incentive.
Providing mental health counselling, assessments, support to community members
Mental Health Nurse/Counsellor/Psychiatric consult (Current Employee), Northern Manitoba - in a First Nation communityOctober 16, 2015
Pros: Providing help to those in need
Cons: Not as much support as needed for this program.
In my usual day I would see scheduled/non-scheduled clients, providing counselling such as problem solving, coping and various strategies to address various life, social and personal problems. I would also assess clients for Psychiatric issues leading to at times the need for further Psychiatric intervention.
Good working environment
Manager, procurement (Former Employee), OttawaOctober 13, 2015
Good working environment. A lot of career opportunities. I have learned a lot through new IT initiatives related to SAP and other software.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 6, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours
Cons: Not a lot of room for growth
This company was a joy to work for, I was treated with respect and enjoyed the five years of contracts I had with this company.
Health Canada
Project Officer and Internal Services (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 22, 2015
Throughout my time in the government I have had great experience working for the Health Department. A typical day of work consist of me doing my rounds insuring that all internal services are up to date and functional. I have a great group of co-workers which enables me to be very productive on a day to day basis. Most enjoyable part of my jobs would be the interaction with others, team work and seeing projects come to fruition.
It was the perfect job for me.
Benefits Analyst (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 21, 2015
Pros: Got to sit instead of stand for 8 hours
Cons: Call Centre
Fun place to work. Awesome people to work with. I feel like I accomplished a lot there. Awesome hours, 2 weeks of 8-4 and 2 weeks of 9-5.. No weekends.. Awesome! Really wish I was still there..
It's Government!!
Travel Programs Officer (Current Employee), Ottawa, OntarioSeptember 10, 2015
Pros: Great Boss
Cons: No room for advancement
I have been working for Health Canada for close to 16yrs. This is one of the largest departments of the Federal Government. I am very fortunate to work for the Travel Management Directorate mostly because of my team and my fantastic boss. It's a great group of people. We face many challenges guiding employees on the policies that constantly change.....or their interpretations.....surrounding travel and event planning.
Surpotive Manager
Project Officer (Current Employee), ottawa, ontarioSeptember 10, 2015
I liked working with Health Canada. We had weekely team meatings to discuss what we are working on and share experiences with co-workers. The Manager was very surportive in what we did.
Great learning experience and work culture!
Program Assistant (Current Employee), Halifax, NSSeptember 1, 2015
Pros: Flexible with hours
Cons: Short Contracts
Typical day: check e-mail for reports and meetings, draft letter to recipients, preparing mail outs, tracking finance's in Excel, upgrading the training manuel, answering phone inquires, scanning and digitizing files, creating new files, keep database's up to date, working on projects.

The Management was fantastic, they encouraged you to develop your skills, take workshops and support your growth in the office or whereever that may take you. They make it a very positive environment.

The most enjoyable part of the job is definitely the people I work with. Everyone is very supportive and is willing to help each other out. We are a small team so we really rely on each other.

I have learned a lot about the government and how it works. The division I work in, I did not have any previous experience with so was very new to the information. It was a lot to take in but was well worth it. The work done in this office affects a lot of Canadians and I get to be part of that team.
Over worked, under paid
Benefits Analyst (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 8, 2015
Pros: Typical Office
Cons: High Expectations with no resources
This office was task oriented. They relied on the daily and weekly numbers, and they needed their production line to move as fast and produce as much as possible regardless of the employees abilities
Extremely interesting workplace
Benefits Analyst (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 12, 2015
I work for First Nations and Inuit Health at Health Canada. My present duties include answering the phone at the Call Centre and setting-up prior approvals for Aboriginals requiring Vision care. I enjoy working as a Team member and enjoy my work. I also have 7 months experience as a Benefits Analyst where my main duties included auditing and completing the Accounts payable.
Great office to work in - friendly environment to work in.
Administrative Assistant (CR-05) (Current Employee), Thunder Bay, ONMay 29, 2015
The days go by pretty fast as it is an extremely busy position. I learn new things everyday. Management and co-workers are friendly and supportive of all employees. I enjoy working in this position as it definitely keeps you on your toes.
Great Experience
Compensation Officer (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 27, 2015
It was a great experience to know what office life is like. I had a lot of fun with the people I worked with, and learned some new things that I never would have learnt working elsewhere.
Great team
Planning and Design Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 23, 2015
was over 20 years ago now...
Fantastic team and co-workers;
Challenge of newly managing 6 people for the first time was overly taxing;
Beautiful project (Renovation of Brooke Claxton Building)
respectful, Prestige, productive
visiting scientist postdoc fellow (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 17, 2015
very friendly atmosphere, not stress full environment at all, but everything is serious. very nice colleagues. lovely and cool boss!