Health Canada Employee Reviews

Morning routine
Executive Assistant- AS01 (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 September 2016
In the morning, I print out my director's calendar, prepare her binders for the day. My co-workers are awesome and I enjoy working with all of them. The management are very understanding and encourage our evolution and encourage to aim for our goals.
Miss working here so much
Records Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 August 2016
The management was amazing and I was sad when my contract ended. I would love to go back. People were good to me there. I wish this job was permanent. Overall I was happy here and the job was good
Pros
I was always busy, I got let go early and paid for the full day a few times
Deployment
Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 September 2016
Given scheduled appointments to upgrade client computers
Migrating client email settings and files to the new asset
Upgrading(imaging) assets capable of running new operating system .Erasing data from assets not capable of running new standard image. Troubleshooting assets capable of running new operating system when they did not image correctly for example replacing RAM or hard drive
Pros
Relaxed Atmosphere
Cons
Disorganized redundancy of work
Program Manager / Policy Analyst
Strategic Planning and Policy Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 June 2016
This Department provides the opportunity to work on issues that directly affect the Health of Canadians. The management is structured and efficient. Great work location.
Pros
Great co-workers with similar values.
Good job security
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 November 2015
My time as a civil servant with the Government of Canada was one with several highs and lows. I did have the pleasure to finish my time with Health Canada working for a great manager but the hardest part of the job was the constant turnover in management which lead to an unstable work environment. The was also rampant nepotism that created a workplace environment that was not enjoyable and ultimately was the reason I choose to leave this job.
Pros
Decent pay with great benifits
Cons
Poor working environment
Remote and Network Support
eHealth Support/Network Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 October 2016
An average day would include supporting a local or remote network, supporting telehealth equipment, supporting clinical providers and managing corporate network infrastructure when moving and setting up new office spaces and new client locations.
Great place to work!
Deputy Minister's Office (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 October 2016
I enjoyed working with Health Canada. The team I worked with were awesome. In a fast paced environment we helped each other when deadlines had to be met or when someone was absent.
Pros
Health Canada allowed time to take a second language-free!
Cons
n/a
Okay, but I was subcontracted to HC
Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 August 2016
Decent working environment, don't treat their contractors properly, especially when you are a student.
If you are considering working there please make sure that you explain every little detail to them, and be sure to get any agreements in writing or they will have procurement get rid of you
Great job
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 April 2016
This was a great experience for me as I was a cooperative student. The job security was excellent and I really wish I could go back again more permanently.
Pros
Great boss and work environment
Cons
Too far from home
Busy work environment, Great team work
Medical Transportation Benefit Analyst (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON9 August 2016
I have enjoyed my years at Health Canada. I enjoy the busy environment and the different duties we have to do to complete a days work. I enjoy dealing with client in person and also on the phone.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
favortisium
Great environment
Undercover Researcher (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON9 April 2016
As my first job i had the great opportunity to develop multiple skills right from the beginning. Especially with organizational skills and communication were the most developed.
Pros
fast and easy
Junior Licences and Permits Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 May 2016
A typical day at work is busy but not overwhelming, screening and reviewing applications. I learned a great amount about industrial hemp regulation and the governmental processes involved. The most enjoyable part of this job was the science aspect involved with the regulations and the screening/reviewing process. At first, it was a little difficult to keep up with the work but it is very manageable.
It's Government!!
Travel Programs Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario10 September 2015
I have been working for Health Canada for close to 16yrs. This is one of the largest departments of the Federal Government. I am very fortunate to work for the Travel Management Directorate mostly because of my team and my fantastic boss. It's a great group of people. We face many challenges guiding employees on the policies that constantly change.....or their interpretations.....surrounding travel and event planning.
Pros
Great Boss
Cons
No room for advancement
A lot of changes in the past few years
A/Manager (A/AS-03) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 June 2016
Can be quite a challenging place to work at. Have been lucky enough to work in several different areas within Health Canada and have gained a wealth of knowledge because of it.
Pros
flexible hours
Great learning experience and work culture!
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS1 September 2015
Typical day: check e-mail for reports and meetings, draft letter to recipients, preparing mail outs, tracking finance's in Excel, upgrading the training manuel, answering phone inquires, scanning and digitizing files, creating new files, keep database's up to date, working on projects.

The Management was fantastic, they encouraged you to develop your skills, take workshops and support your growth in the office or whereever that may take you. They make it a very positive environment.

The most enjoyable part of the job is definitely the people I work with. Everyone is very supportive and is willing to help each other out. We are a small team so we really rely on each other.

I have learned a lot about the government and how it works. The division I work in, I did not have any previous experience with so was very new to the information. It was a lot to take in but was well worth it. The work done in this office affects a lot of Canadians and I get to be part of that team.
Pros
Flexible with hours
Cons
Short Contracts
Had pros and cons. I stayed there for 23 years.
Secretary to the Regional Nursing Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 November 2015
Good co-workers. Management was 50/50. After 23 years it was time to move on and see what another department was like.

It was good to have the opportunity to work in various units to gain different experiences.
Overall great department of Government to work for.
FSWEP Student - Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tunney's Pasture, ON23 February 2016
I really have enjoyed my time at Health Canada. I enjoy the work, the systems, the procedures, and my co-workers. The only downfall is that I am unaware of the stability that I hold in this position since I am a contracted FSWEP student.
Work at Health Canada
Desktop Support (Former Employee) –  Ottawa Downtown19 June 2014
Basicly I would come in the morning we would do a daily meeting then after that , I would verrify in Hp opendesk if they are any High level ticket ...then I would print my ticket for the morning go and do my call's...come back for lunch check whit the team lead if they are any priority...

After lunch We would go back to are ticket login system and verrify
if they are any vip call's ...they go do are call's...they it would be the end of the day...

ben
Pros
Management Excellent
Cons
salary
Good department to start out
Personnel Security Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 October 2015
As it is a large department, it suffered from having an ever sprawling mandate. The ever shifting priorities made it difficult to juggle the work/life balance.
Excellent work/life balance with opportunity to succeed
Regulatory Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 November 2014
The organization offers competitive salary with opportunity to move between department and to higher positions.