Health Canada Employee Reviews

Amazing work environment
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 December 2016
Working for Health Canada has been amazing the team I work with is a great group all very friendly and willing to help.
Management is very friendly and wiling to help with advancement when possible.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
N/A
Excellent!
Program Support (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 January 2017
Great environment, good people and an all-around great place to work! Enjoyed learning the dental health and benefits options offered to Non-insured incumbents and offering options and providing status on provisions in both official languages...pleasant clients and co-workers.
Pros
Working with Indigenous community, health advisors, etc.
Productive workplace
Executive AssistantAs-01 (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 February 2017
productive and fun workplace
Continually learning new aspects and information
Management is very friendly and wiling to help
develop multiple skills right from the beginning
Pros
flexibility
Cons
I wish this job was permanent.
Consistent Worksite
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 October 2016
This position has been excellent at challenging me and allowing me to see where I want to be, career-wise. I have not found it to be transparent, nor is the federal system a guaranteed job anymore.
Pros
Adjustable work hours
Cons
Lack of pay increases/ collective agreement
Challenging as the field was new and exploding,
AIDS/HIV Education and Prevention Coordicator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 January 2017
Enjoyed working in that field as it was always evolving. Continually learning new aspects and information as was crucial to stay on top of new research as it applied to educating and preventing further spread of a disease that had/has no cure and was life threatening at that particular time (1980s). Never a dull moment.
Pros
Continually learning as disease evolved past gay population into mainstream society.
Cons
Stressful
Morning routine
Executive Assistant- AS01 (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 September 2016
In the morning, I print out my director's calendar, prepare her binders for the day. My co-workers are awesome and I enjoy working with all of them. The management are very understanding and encourage our evolution and encourage to aim for our goals.
Miss working here so much
Records Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 August 2016
The management was amazing and I was sad when my contract ended. I would love to go back. People were good to me there. I wish this job was permanent. Overall I was happy here and the job was good
Pros
I was always busy, I got let go early and paid for the full day a few times
Deployment
Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 September 2016
Given scheduled appointments to upgrade client computers
Migrating client email settings and files to the new asset
Upgrading(imaging) assets capable of running new operating system .Erasing data from assets not capable of running new standard image. Troubleshooting assets capable of running new operating system when they did not image correctly for example replacing RAM or hard drive
Pros
Relaxed Atmosphere
Cons
Disorganized redundancy of work
Great place to work!
Deputy Minister's Office (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 October 2016
I enjoyed working with Health Canada. The team I worked with were awesome. In a fast paced environment we helped each other when deadlines had to be met or when someone was absent.
Pros
Health Canada allowed time to take a second language-free!
Cons
n/a
Remote and Network Support
eHealth Support/Network Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 October 2016
An average day would include supporting a local or remote network, supporting telehealth equipment, supporting clinical providers and managing corporate network infrastructure when moving and setting up new office spaces and new client locations.
Program Manager / Policy Analyst
Strategic Planning and Policy Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 June 2016
This Department provides the opportunity to work on issues that directly affect the Health of Canadians. The management is structured and efficient. Great work location.
Pros
Great co-workers with similar values.
Good job security
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 November 2015
My time as a civil servant with the Government of Canada was one with several highs and lows. I did have the pleasure to finish my time with Health Canada working for a great manager but the hardest part of the job was the constant turnover in management which lead to an unstable work environment. The was also rampant nepotism that created a workplace environment that was not enjoyable and ultimately was the reason I choose to leave this job.
Pros
Decent pay with great benifits
Cons
Poor working environment
Okay, but I was subcontracted to HC
Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 August 2016
Decent working environment, don't treat their contractors properly, especially when you are a student.
If you are considering working there please make sure that you explain every little detail to them, and be sure to get any agreements in writing or they will have procurement get rid of you
Busy work environment, Great team work
Medical Transportation Benefit Analyst (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON9 August 2016
I have enjoyed my years at Health Canada. I enjoy the busy environment and the different duties we have to do to complete a days work. I enjoy dealing with client in person and also on the phone.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
favortisium
Great job
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 April 2016
This was a great experience for me as I was a cooperative student. The job security was excellent and I really wish I could go back again more permanently.
Pros
Great boss and work environment
Cons
Too far from home
It's Government!!
Travel Programs Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario10 September 2015
I have been working for Health Canada for close to 16yrs. This is one of the largest departments of the Federal Government. I am very fortunate to work for the Travel Management Directorate mostly because of my team and my fantastic boss. It's a great group of people. We face many challenges guiding employees on the policies that constantly change.....or their interpretations.....surrounding travel and event planning.
Pros
Great Boss
Cons
No room for advancement
Great environment
Undercover Researcher (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON9 April 2016
As my first job i had the great opportunity to develop multiple skills right from the beginning. Especially with organizational skills and communication were the most developed.
Pros
fast and easy
Junior Licences and Permits Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 May 2016
A typical day at work is busy but not overwhelming, screening and reviewing applications. I learned a great amount about industrial hemp regulation and the governmental processes involved. The most enjoyable part of this job was the science aspect involved with the regulations and the screening/reviewing process. At first, it was a little difficult to keep up with the work but it is very manageable.
A lot of changes in the past few years
A/Manager (A/AS-03) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 June 2016
Can be quite a challenging place to work at. Have been lucky enough to work in several different areas within Health Canada and have gained a wealth of knowledge because of it.
Pros
flexible hours
Work at Health Canada
Desktop Support (Former Employee) –  Ottawa Downtown19 June 2014
Basicly I would come in the morning we would do a daily meeting then after that , I would verrify in Hp opendesk if they are any High level ticket ...then I would print my ticket for the morning go and do my call's...come back for lunch check whit the team lead if they are any priority...

After lunch We would go back to are ticket login system and verrify
if they are any vip call's ...they go do are call's...they it would be the end of the day...

ben
Pros
Management Excellent
Cons
salary