Health Canada Employee Reviews

Consistent Worksite
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 October 2016
This position has been excellent at challenging me and allowing me to see where I want to be, career-wise. I have not found it to be transparent, nor is the federal system a guaranteed job anymore.
Pros
Adjustable work hours
Cons
Lack of pay increases/ collective agreement
Great place to work!
Deputy Minister's Office (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 October 2016
I enjoyed working with Health Canada. The team I worked with were awesome. In a fast paced environment we helped each other when deadlines had to be met or when someone was absent.
Pros
Health Canada allowed time to take a second language-free!
Cons
n/a
Remote and Network Support
eHealth Support/Network Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 October 2016
An average day would include supporting a local or remote network, supporting telehealth equipment, supporting clinical providers and managing corporate network infrastructure when moving and setting up new office spaces and new client locations.
Deployment
Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 September 2016
Given scheduled appointments to upgrade client computers
Migrating client email settings and files to the new asset
Upgrading(imaging) assets capable of running new operating system .Erasing data from assets not capable of running new standard image. Troubleshooting assets capable of running new operating system when they did not image correctly for example replacing RAM or hard drive
Pros
Relaxed Atmosphere
Cons
Disorganized redundancy of work
Morning routine
Executive Assistant- AS01 (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 September 2016
In the morning, I print out my director's calendar, prepare her binders for the day. My co-workers are awesome and I enjoy working with all of them. The management are very understanding and encourage our evolution and encourage to aim for our goals.
Okay, but I was subcontracted to HC
Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 August 2016
Decent working environment, don't treat their contractors properly, especially when you are a student.
If you are considering working there please make sure that you explain every little detail to them, and be sure to get any agreements in writing or they will have procurement get rid of you
Miss working here so much
Records Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 August 2016
The management was amazing and I was sad when my contract ended. I would love to go back. People were good to me there. I wish this job was permanent. Overall I was happy here and the job was good
Pros
I was always busy, I got let go early and paid for the full day a few times
Cons
Busy work environment, Great team work
Medical Transportation Benefit Analyst (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON9 August 2016
I have enjoyed my years at Health Canada. I enjoy the busy environment and the different duties we have to do to complete a days work. I enjoy dealing with client in person and also on the phone.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
favortisium
A lot of changes in the past few years
A/Manager (A/AS-03) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 June 2016
Can be quite a challenging place to work at. Have been lucky enough to work in several different areas within Health Canada and have gained a wealth of knowledge because of it.
Pros
flexible hours
Program Manager / Policy Analyst
Strategic Planning and Policy Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 June 2016
This Department provides the opportunity to work on issues that directly affect the Health of Canadians. The management is structured and efficient. Great work location.
Pros
Great co-workers with similar values.
Junior Licences and Permits Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 May 2016
A typical day at work is busy but not overwhelming, screening and reviewing applications. I learned a great amount about industrial hemp regulation and the governmental processes involved. The most enjoyable part of this job was the science aspect involved with the regulations and the screening/reviewing process. At first, it was a little difficult to keep up with the work but it is very manageable.
Great job
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 April 2016
This was a great experience for me as I was a cooperative student. The job security was excellent and I really wish I could go back again more permanently.
Pros
Great boss and work environment
Cons
Too far from home
Great environment
Undercover Researcher (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON9 April 2016
As my first job i had the great opportunity to develop multiple skills right from the beginning. Especially with organizational skills and communication were the most developed.
Pros
fast and easy
Cons
Overall great department of Government to work for.
FSWEP Student - Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tunney's Pasture, ON23 February 2016
I really have enjoyed my time at Health Canada. I enjoy the work, the systems, the procedures, and my co-workers. The only downfall is that I am unaware of the stability that I hold in this position since I am a contracted FSWEP student.
Large Corporation
Senior Informatics Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 December 2015
Oracle was a fast paced highly motivating place to work. There was always lots of travel and presentations. I learned many interesting things at Oracle and have many friends who I still see in the city.
Had pros and cons. I stayed there for 23 years.
Secretary to the Regional Nursing Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 November 2015
Good co-workers. Management was 50/50. After 23 years it was time to move on and see what another department was like.

It was good to have the opportunity to work in various units to gain different experiences.
Good job security
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 November 2015
My time as a civil servant with the Government of Canada was one with several highs and lows. I did have the pleasure to finish my time with Health Canada working for a great manager but the hardest part of the job was the constant turnover in management which lead to an unstable work environment. The was also rampant nepotism that created a workplace environment that was not enjoyable and ultimately was the reason I choose to leave this job.
Pros
Decent pay with great benifits
Cons
Poor working environment
Good department to start out
Personnel Security Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 October 2015
As it is a large department, it suffered from having an ever sprawling mandate. The ever shifting priorities made it difficult to juggle the work/life balance.
a good place to work
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 October 2015
Install OS on PC's, fix pc issues, and other trouble shooting responsibilities. My Manger was a great guy. Good Lunch area facilities. Good View from the Lunch facility of Ottawa River.
Productive and fulfilling
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK18 October 2015
This job is fulfilling but demading. It is equally stressful due to the high volume. A lot of attention to detail is required.