Health Canada Employee Reviews in Canada

Good job security
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 26, 2015
My time as a civil servant with the Government of Canada was one with several highs and lows. I did have the pleasure to finish my time with Health Canada working for a great manager but the hardest part of the job was the constant turnover in management which lead to an unstable work environment. The was also rampant nepotism that created a workplace environment that was not enjoyable and ultimately was the reason I choose to leave this job.
Pros
Decent pay with great benifits
Cons
Poor working environment
It's Government!!
Travel Programs Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, OntarioSeptember 10, 2015
I have been working for Health Canada for close to 16yrs. This is one of the largest departments of the Federal Government. I am very fortunate to work for the Travel Management Directorate mostly because of my team and my fantastic boss. It's a great group of people. We face many challenges guiding employees on the policies that constantly change.....or their interpretations.....surrounding travel and event planning.
Pros
Great Boss
Cons
No room for advancement
Junior Licences and Permits Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 4, 2016
A typical day at work is busy but not overwhelming, screening and reviewing applications. I learned a great amount about industrial hemp regulation and the governmental processes involved. The most enjoyable part of this job was the science aspect involved with the regulations and the screening/reviewing process. At first, it was a little difficult to keep up with the work but it is very manageable.
Had pros and cons. I stayed there for 23 years.
Secretary to the Regional Nursing Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 28, 2015
Good co-workers. Management was 50/50. After 23 years it was time to move on and see what another department was like.

It was good to have the opportunity to work in various units to gain different experiences.
Great learning experience and work culture!
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSSeptember 1, 2015
Typical day: check e-mail for reports and meetings, draft letter to recipients, preparing mail outs, tracking finance's in Excel, upgrading the training manuel, answering phone inquires, scanning and digitizing files, creating new files, keep database's up to date, working on projects.

The Management was fantastic, they encouraged you to develop your skills, take workshops and support your growth in the office or whereever that may take you. They make it a very positive environment.

The most enjoyable part of the job is definitely the people I work with. Everyone is very supportive and is willing to help each other out. We are a small team so we really rely on each other.

I have learned a lot about the government and how it works. The division I work in, I did not have any previous experience with so was very new to the information. It was a lot to take in but was well worth it. The work done in this office affects a lot of Canadians and I get to be part of that team.
Pros
Flexible with hours
Cons
Short Contracts
Program Manager / Policy Analyst
Strategic Planning and Policy Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 3, 2016
This Department provides the opportunity to work on issues that directly affect the Health of Canadians. The management is structured and efficient. Great work location.
Pros
Great co-workers with similar values.
Overall great department of Government to work for.
FSWEP Student - Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tunney's Pasture, ONFebruary 23, 2016
I really have enjoyed my time at Health Canada. I enjoy the work, the systems, the procedures, and my co-workers. The only downfall is that I am unaware of the stability that I hold in this position since I am a contracted FSWEP student.
Great job
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 30, 2016
This was a great experience for me as I was a cooperative student. The job security was excellent and I really wish I could go back again more permanently.
Pros
Great boss and work environment
Cons
Too far from home
Great environment
Undercover Researcher (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONApril 9, 2016
As my first job i had the great opportunity to develop multiple skills right from the beginning. Especially with organizational skills and communication were the most developed.
Pros
fast and easy
Cons
Good department to start out
Personnel Security Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 31, 2015
As it is a large department, it suffered from having an ever sprawling mandate. The ever shifting priorities made it difficult to juggle the work/life balance.
Good working environment
Manager, procurement (Former Employee) –  OttawaOctober 13, 2015
Good working environment. A lot of career opportunities. I have learned a lot through new IT initiatives related to SAP and other software.
Providing mental health counselling, assessments, support to community members
Mental Health Nurse/Counsellor/Psychiatric consult (Current Employee) –  Northern Manitoba - in a First Nation communityOctober 16, 2015
In my usual day I would see scheduled/non-scheduled clients, providing counselling such as problem solving, coping and various strategies to address various life, social and personal problems. I would also assess clients for Psychiatric issues leading to at times the need for further Psychiatric intervention.
Pros
Providing help to those in need
Cons
Not as much support as needed for this program.
Large Corporation
Senior Informatics Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 23, 2015
Oracle was a fast paced highly motivating place to work. There was always lots of travel and presentations. I learned many interesting things at Oracle and have many friends who I still see in the city.
Extremely interesting workplace
Benefits Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 12, 2015
I work for First Nations and Inuit Health at Health Canada. My present duties include answering the phone at the Call Centre and setting-up prior approvals for Aboriginals requiring Vision care. I enjoy working as a Team member and enjoy my work. I also have 7 months experience as a Benefits Analyst where my main duties included auditing and completing the Accounts payable.
Continuous variety on a day to day basis. Always new things to learn. Great place to work.
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 16, 2015
Great place to work and ability to network on a daily basis. Support staff of all sorts are always willing to help no matter which department you interact with. Lots of red tape but that's expected of a government department. Ability to learn new things and ability to move elsewhere is a great incentive.
Pros
set my own work hours
Cons
red tape
Health Canada
Project Officer and Internal Services (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 22, 2015
Throughout my time in the government I have had great experience working for the Health Department. A typical day of work consist of me doing my rounds insuring that all internal services are up to date and functional. I have a great group of co-workers which enables me to be very productive on a day to day basis. Most enjoyable part of my jobs would be the interaction with others, team work and seeing projects come to fruition.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 6, 2015
This company was a joy to work for, I was treated with respect and enjoyed the five years of contracts I had with this company.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not a lot of room for growth
a good place to work
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 27, 2015
Install OS on PC's, fix pc issues, and other trouble shooting responsibilities. My Manger was a great guy. Good Lunch area facilities. Good View from the Lunch facility of Ottawa River.
It was the perfect job for me.
Benefits Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 21, 2015
Fun place to work. Awesome people to work with. I feel like I accomplished a lot there. Awesome hours, 2 weeks of 8-4 and 2 weeks of 9-5.. No weekends.. Awesome! Really wish I was still there..
Pros
Got to sit instead of stand for 8 hours
Cons
Call Centre
Great office to work in - friendly environment to work in.
Administrative Assistant (CR-05) (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONMay 29, 2015
The days go by pretty fast as it is an extremely busy position. I learn new things everyday. Management and co-workers are friendly and supportive of all employees. I enjoy working in this position as it definitely keeps you on your toes.