Health Canada Employee Reviews

Stable and professional job with room for advancent
Junior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fox Lake, AB28 December 2017
Great co workers, usually good managers. Fast paced and often fulfilling work helping clients get in to see a nurse or doctor. Working with the community and many other professionals like therapists and dentist, eye doctors and a varitey of nurses and paramedics.
Pros
Stable and professional work environnent.
Cons
Glitchy pay system
Excellent Working Environment
Self-motivated
Customer Service
Answering phones
Minute Taking
Pros
Education
Great workplace
Climate Change and Health Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 December 2017
You learn a lot about different aspects of Canada and working here opens your eyes to the many great things our government is doing. I worked in the First Nations office and working here taught me a lot about the situation they are in.
Productive and fun work atmosphere with a gym and relax room.
Senior Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 December 2017
I love Mondays, mostly because the day flies by in a flash. I would concentrate on how you ‘organize’ your day. I do this on Monday so that the rest of the week is well organized and I can effectively use my time on other work I need to catch-up on. One of my biggest task is checking in with my co-worker and see the progress on various projects. I prefer meeting three times a week, first thing on Monday to discuss our priorities for the week, then meet again Wednesday to check progress, and meet once on Friday to discuss goal setting for the next week. When I met with the team, together, we came up with strategies for increasing efficiency among the team.
Pros
Free lunch
Great co-workers
Sr. Financial Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 October 2017
Was a very empowering environment and great management. I enjoyed my work there
There was a strong teamplayer presence. The DG was a female and took pride in empowering her employees, both genders.
A fulfilling career pathway providing Health care to First Nation communities
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Garden River, AB1 August 2017
challenging nursing career that has many health barriers that you learn to overcome. must be able to endure isolation for long stretches. must work well as a team member with all types of people. must be prepared to triage patients and set boundaries.
will develope skills and learn new skills necessary for job
Health Canada has exceptional education allowance so if you wish to further your career good place to start- catch service hour pay back systems can keep you working in the north longer than you expected
Pros
can earn good money
Cons
Phoenix pay system will challenge everyone emotionally
A place where you fell that you are contributing to the achievement of fixed goals.
Epidemiologist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 June 2017
A supportive working place and where you can achieve as a team worker to your full participation. Easy going place and directives were well explained and feel like home.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Great people to work with
Exemption Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 May 2017
Great people to work with, makes you feel like a big family. Hours a re flexible, pay is good. Great place for cultural and personal growth. Good opportunities to move up the ladder and learn new techniques.
Various locations that are easy to get to
Records Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 May 2017
A friendly environment with friendly co-workers who are willing to give a helping hand when needed. Management was helpful and offered advice when necessary.
Very Pleasant Place to work
Records Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 February 2017
Health Canada is a pleasant place to work with nice employees and supervisors who are dedicated to achieving whatever project they set out to do, and in this case the project is to digitize all they're paper records and get on database.
Productive workplace
Executive AssistantAs-01 (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 February 2017
productive and fun workplace
Continually learning new aspects and information
Management is very friendly and wiling to help
develop multiple skills right from the beginning
Pros
flexibility
Cons
I wish this job was permanent.
Challenging as the field was new and exploding,
AIDS/HIV Education and Prevention Coordicator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 January 2017
Enjoyed working in that field as it was always evolving. Continually learning new aspects and information as was crucial to stay on top of new research as it applied to educating and preventing further spread of a disease that had/has no cure and was life threatening at that particular time (1980s). Never a dull moment.
Pros
Continually learning as disease evolved past gay population into mainstream society.
Cons
Stressful
Excellent!
Program Support (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 January 2017
Great environment, good people and an all-around great place to work! Enjoyed learning the dental health and benefits options offered to Non-insured incumbents and offering options and providing status on provisions in both official languages...pleasant clients and co-workers.
Pros
Working with Indigenous community, health advisors, etc.
Amazing work environment
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 December 2016
Working for Health Canada has been amazing the team I work with is a great group all very friendly and willing to help.
Management is very friendly and wiling to help with advancement when possible.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
N/a
Consistent Worksite
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 October 2016
This position has been excellent at challenging me and allowing me to see where I want to be, career-wise. I have not found it to be transparent, nor is the federal system a guaranteed job anymore.
Pros
Adjustable work hours
Cons
Lack of pay increases/ collective agreement
Great place to work!
Deputy Minister's Office (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 October 2016
I enjoyed working with Health Canada. The team I worked with were awesome. In a fast paced environment we helped each other when deadlines had to be met or when someone was absent.
Pros
Health Canada allowed time to take a second language-free!
Cons
n/a
Remote and Network Support
eHealth Support/Network Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 October 2016
An average day would include supporting a local or remote network, supporting telehealth equipment, supporting clinical providers and managing corporate network infrastructure when moving and setting up new office spaces and new client locations.
Deployment
Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 September 2016
Given scheduled appointments to upgrade client computers
Migrating client email settings and files to the new asset
Upgrading(imaging) assets capable of running new operating system .Erasing data from assets not capable of running new standard image. Troubleshooting assets capable of running new operating system when they did not image correctly for example replacing RAM or hard drive
Pros
Relaxed Atmosphere
Cons
Disorganized redundancy of work
Morning routine
Executive Assistant- AS01 (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 September 2016
In the morning, I print out my director's calendar, prepare her binders for the day. My co-workers are awesome and I enjoy working with all of them. The management are very understanding and encourage our evolution and encourage to aim for our goals.
Okay, but I was subcontracted to HC
Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 August 2016
Decent working environment, don't treat their contractors properly, especially when you are a student.
If you are considering working there please make sure that you explain every little detail to them, and be sure to get any agreements in writing or they will have procurement get rid of you