Health Canada Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
A fulfilling career pathway providing Health care to First Nation communities
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Garden River, AB1 August 2017
challenging nursing career that has many health barriers that you learn to overcome. must be able to endure isolation for long stretches. must work well as a team member with all types of people. must be prepared to triage patients and set boundaries.
will develope skills and learn new skills necessary for job
Health Canada has exceptional education allowance so if you wish to further your career good place to start- catch service hour pay back systems can keep you working in the north longer than you expected
Pros
can earn good money
Cons
Phoenix pay system will challenge everyone emotionally
Great people to work with
Exemption Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 May 2017
Great people to work with, makes you feel like a big family. Hours a re flexible, pay is good. Great place for cultural and personal growth. Good opportunities to move up the ladder and learn new techniques.
Various locations that are easy to get to
Records Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 May 2017
A friendly environment with friendly co-workers who are willing to give a helping hand when needed. Management was helpful and offered advice when necessary.
Very Pleasant Place to work
Records Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 February 2017
Health Canada is a pleasant place to work with nice employees and supervisors who are dedicated to achieving whatever project they set out to do, and in this case the project is to digitize all they're paper records and get on database.
Productive workplace
Executive AssistantAs-01 (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 February 2017
productive and fun workplace
Continually learning new aspects and information
Management is very friendly and wiling to help
develop multiple skills right from the beginning
Pros
flexibility
Cons
I wish this job was permanent.
Challenging as the field was new and exploding,
AIDS/HIV Education and Prevention Coordicator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 January 2017
Enjoyed working in that field as it was always evolving. Continually learning new aspects and information as was crucial to stay on top of new research as it applied to educating and preventing further spread of a disease that had/has no cure and was life threatening at that particular time (1980s). Never a dull moment.
Pros
Continually learning as disease evolved past gay population into mainstream society.
Cons
Stressful
Excellent!
Program Support (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 January 2017
Great environment, good people and an all-around great place to work! Enjoyed learning the dental health and benefits options offered to Non-insured incumbents and offering options and providing status on provisions in both official languages...pleasant clients and co-workers.
Pros
Working with Indigenous community, health advisors, etc.
Amazing work environment
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 December 2016
Working for Health Canada has been amazing the team I work with is a great group all very friendly and willing to help.
Management is very friendly and wiling to help with advancement when possible.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
N/a
Consistent Worksite
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 October 2016
This position has been excellent at challenging me and allowing me to see where I want to be, career-wise. I have not found it to be transparent, nor is the federal system a guaranteed job anymore.
Pros
Adjustable work hours
Cons
Lack of pay increases/ collective agreement
Great place to work!
Deputy Minister's Office (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 October 2016
I enjoyed working with Health Canada. The team I worked with were awesome. In a fast paced environment we helped each other when deadlines had to be met or when someone was absent.
Pros
Health Canada allowed time to take a second language-free!
Cons
n/a
Remote and Network Support
eHealth Support/Network Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 October 2016
An average day would include supporting a local or remote network, supporting telehealth equipment, supporting clinical providers and managing corporate network infrastructure when moving and setting up new office spaces and new client locations.
Deployment
Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 September 2016
Given scheduled appointments to upgrade client computers
Migrating client email settings and files to the new asset
Upgrading(imaging) assets capable of running new operating system .Erasing data from assets not capable of running new standard image. Troubleshooting assets capable of running new operating system when they did not image correctly for example replacing RAM or hard drive
Pros
Relaxed Atmosphere
Cons
Disorganized redundancy of work
Morning routine
Executive Assistant- AS01 (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 September 2016
In the morning, I print out my director's calendar, prepare her binders for the day. My co-workers are awesome and I enjoy working with all of them. The management are very understanding and encourage our evolution and encourage to aim for our goals.
Okay, but I was subcontracted to HC
Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 August 2016
Decent working environment, don't treat their contractors properly, especially when you are a student.
If you are considering working there please make sure that you explain every little detail to them, and be sure to get any agreements in writing or they will have procurement get rid of you
Environnement de travail stimulant, productif et agréable
Research Affiliate Program (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 August 2016
Le travail à Santé Canada a été une expérience stimulante et enrichissante pour moi. L’expérience ainsi que les connaissances acquises durant cette période seront, indéniablement utiles pour moi autant du point de vue personnel que professionnel.

Ce travail a été une belle opportunité, pour moi, afin de percevoir la manière dont Santé Canada, par l'entremise de la Direction des produits de santé commercialisés (DPSC), et plus particulièrement, à travers le bureau des produits pharmaceutiques et des matériels médicaux commercialisés (BPPMC) a pu prendre plusieurs mesures dans le but de renforcer la surveillance active; notamment :

La création de groupes de travail officiels qui sont chargés d’examiner systématiquement les problèmes d’innocuité potentiels relevés par d’autres organismes règlementaires signalés dans les publications scientifiques ou mis à jour par l’industrie;

La mise en œuvre d’un programme d’inspection visant à vérifier que les entreprises se conforment aux exigences règlementaires en matière de déclaration des effets indésirables des médicaments;

L’examen des plans de gestion des risques soumis volontairement par les industrie pharmaceutique dans le cadre de certaines présentations de médicaments. Ces plans permettent de reconnaitre certains problèmes d’innocuité potentiels et contiennent des engagements pris par les fabricants relativement à la surveillance active du médicament.
Miss working here so much
Records Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 August 2016
The management was amazing and I was sad when my contract ended. I would love to go back. People were good to me there. I wish this job was permanent. Overall I was happy here and the job was good
Pros
I was always busy, I got let go early and paid for the full day a few times
Cons
Busy work environment, Great team work
Medical Transportation Benefit Analyst (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON9 August 2016
I have enjoyed my years at Health Canada. I enjoy the busy environment and the different duties we have to do to complete a days work. I enjoy dealing with client in person and also on the phone.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
favortisium
A lot of changes in the past few years
A/Manager (A/AS-03) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 June 2016
Can be quite a challenging place to work at. Have been lucky enough to work in several different areas within Health Canada and have gained a wealth of knowledge because of it.
Pros
flexible hours
Program Manager / Policy Analyst
Strategic Planning and Policy Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 June 2016
This Department provides the opportunity to work on issues that directly affect the Health of Canadians. The management is structured and efficient. Great work location.
Pros
Great co-workers with similar values.
Junior Licences and Permits Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 May 2016
A typical day at work is busy but not overwhelming, screening and reviewing applications. I learned a great amount about industrial hemp regulation and the governmental processes involved. The most enjoyable part of this job was the science aspect involved with the regulations and the screening/reviewing process. At first, it was a little difficult to keep up with the work but it is very manageable.