HDR, Inc.

HDR, Inc. Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Professional workplace who makes our work matters
Transportation Planner (Current Employee), Richmond Hill, ONJuly 29, 2013
HDR is a company with great culture and values. Managers and senior staff are willing to train younger staff and build relationship outside of work.
Professional Engineering Environment
Receptionist (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOMarch 25, 2014
Pros: free lunches during meetings, good benefits and lots of pto accrual
Cons: management, slow paced position
A typical day of work involved greeting employees, vendors and contractors; answering and handling calls as necessary; managing breakroom and office supplies and coordinating lunch meetings. I ran errands occasionally as well. I made some good friends at HDR and I learned so much in the 7 years I was there. The hardest part of the job, was that I was – more... not kept busy. There was not much to do and no room for advancement and I like to be kept busy with a variety of work. Breaks are nice too, but not when the better part of your 40 hours feels like one. The other hard part of the job was the management. I won't go into detail because I would have unprofessional thoughts on that subject.
The benefits were not the best I've had, but better than most. The company provided a 401K investment opportunity and they matched my 4% I provided. – less
N/A
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Charleston, SCMarch 24, 2014
Typical Work Day:
“I make sure to be ready and out the door so I can get to work at least 30 minutes before ‘start time.’ That way if there are delays such as traffic I’m still on time for any meetings or important tasks. I check voice mail and the calendar, then plan my sit down work time around other things like meetings. Sometimes it’s hard to balance – more... between being friendly and keeping on task, but people understand that I don’t like to chit chat during the day – I like to work.” – less
Great Company
Lab Technician and Intern (Former Employee), Claremont, CAMarch 17, 2014
Good for interning and getting lab experience. I thoroughly enjoyed working with this company, and I would definitely recommend it to others!
Good Working culture for Engineers and Architects, bad for IT
IT Support Specialist (Current Employee), Dallas, TXMarch 11, 2014
Pros: good benefits program
Working IT at HDR is demoralizing. Once a month meetings with the CIO consistantly reminding us that we are a drain on business and cut into the companies bottom line.

It wasn't always like this, the IT group got restructured. So instead of working for your local departments you support you now report to a faceless autocracy in Omaha. While under the – more... local department, the head of that department was responsible for our compenstation and reviews. The job was more organic and should we not be doing our job satisfactorily the department heads and the people we support would have a direct say in our reviews.

Pay rates are not competitive at all.

Management is incompetant, and can't even facilitate a migration to new systems.

Hardest part keeping moral up.

Most enjoyable part is working with the different engineers and architect users and helping them be productive. Overwhelmingly good people who work here. – less
An excellent large Consulting Engineering Company
PROJECT MANAGER / ELECTRICAL DESIGNER (Former Employee), Springfield, ILFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: large comapny that could build a complete city because of all the resources within the company.
Cons: leans toward younger staff and offices become competative against each other as profit centers.
I worked at a company for 15 years before HDR aquired us, I worked for HDR for 5 years. The culture changed and it was a little difficult to adjust to their larger company culture as a Midwest located firm.

HDR values a younger work force and demands more letters after your name than in it.

HDR is more progressive than most companies their size and – more... I would strongly recommend it to young prospects.

Some of my stars reflect my experience at our Midwest office and not the company across the nation with their 150+ offices and 9000+ personnel. – less
Wonderful atmosphere
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Boise, IDFebruary 11, 2014
I thourougly enjoyed working for HDR, and all of the different people I interacted with daily.
Fun guys to work and travel with
UXO Technician II / III / Explosive Manager (Former Employee), Aurora, COJanuary 21, 2014
Like any job most everyone works to get the job done and learn what needs to be learned to get other jobs done.
A solid company that does it best for its employees
Assistant Resident Engineer (Current Employee), Moreno Valley, CAJanuary 15, 2014
HDR has been a good company for me. This was my first private sector job after being recalled to Active Duty Army in Afghanistan.
Productive and a great place to work.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT/RECEPTIONIST (Current Employee), White Plains, NYJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: flexiable
Cons: n/a
My typical day is assistanting with proposals. Helping put them together, making copies, proofing, formating documents. My Co-works are great, very pleasant.
Loved this position and all the people I got to know.
Document Controls Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Lehi, UtDecember 16, 2013
This was a great assignment and I loved to work with these guys each and every day!!!
Enjoyable work environment with a joining on community services in the area. Fun times in the office with holidays and potlucks, I love to cook.
Project Administrator (Former Employee), Irvine, CANovember 14, 2013
Pros: employee owned company
Cons: had to give your own time to projects, no overtime pay
A typical day at work started with a cup of coffee and 2-3 engineers and/or project managers asking me to type/mail/process letters/memos/reports or get meetings together.
I learned how to multitask and be diplomatic trying to help all my engineers and managers.
The manager I had was a wonderful person, very dedicated to the job, but also very human – more... to his employees.
I worked with 8-15 engineers at a time. Juggling was my business on “who’s on first”. We all had a great companionship/working relationship in the Water/Wastewater department that I worked in. There are the times that we would go on weekend trips together (snow skiing, camping at the beach, bike riding, and walks).
The hardest part of the job was getting information in time to finish Request for Proposals. Sometimes we would have to work all weekends in order to make deadlines.
The employees I worked with were the best!!! I would love to work with any of them again. – less
Positive environment and opportunity for growth
Engineer Intern (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLNovember 12, 2013
It was a great internship opportunity in their engineering department. Worked around engineers that were more than willing to advise on better work ethics.
Fun and Educational workplace and people
Wildlife Technician (Current Employee), Valhalla, NYSeptember 25, 2013
Pros: everything
Cons: 45 min drive
I learn something new everyday. Two out on a boat all day bonding and identifying birds and observing other wildlife. Boat skills improving and learning my own methods of successfully scaring away the waterfowl. Hour lunch with interesting and joyful group of co-workers. Supervisor usually has funny or educational story to tell. a Back on boat until – more... a bit after sundown. Bundle up in colder weather. Hardest part of job is trying to find birds in the dark and chase them in the cold weather. I enjoy every second of the job. – less
Overall good job
Land Surveyor Intern (Former Employee), Lee's Summit, MOSeptember 24, 2013
Co-workers worked with me and taught me all i know, treated me with respect, and gave me confidence to complete my job. The hardest part of the job was carrying all of the equipment long distances to where we needed them, and the most enjoyable part of the job is getting a job done and seeing the results. I learned how to use all of the equipment to – more... preform the tasks necessary. – less
Exceptional team work environment
Receptionist/Human Resource Representative (Former Employee), Boise, IDSeptember 14, 2013
Pros: a lot of community service opportunities
Cons: poor management support
Busy engineering company, I learned the many different support duties of civil engineering. The hardest part of this job was to stick to every day to do items, many interuptions. The most enjoyable part of this job was the team work efforts from my co-workers
Downloading, printing, enabling and creating PDF’s of all controlled documentation.
Administrative Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Ann Arbor, MIAugust 14, 2013
I recieved packets and download all documentation to data base for internal and external review and send out notification. Print documenation and take packets to team members for their review. Preview all documentation going out to clients. Do all UPS and outgoing us mail.
ok
Construction Inspector (Former Employee), Carson City, NVAugust 8, 2013
Pros: na
Cons: na
Construction Inspector of Public Works Waterline Projects for Carson City, Nevada, Public Works. Provide full-time inspection of a 3,000,000 gallon steel water tank, 16”, 24” and 30” diameter (fully restrained) waterline projects within Carson City and Douglas County, NV. This includes assisting the contractor and design engineer in construction, value – more... engineering and design of large water line projects that range from 2 miles to over 8 miles in length. In addition to overseeing construction of waterline transmission mains, assist Carson City Engineers in the development and approval of utility plans for State acceptance. This includes design and inspection of water well and arsenic treatment mitigation improvement projects – less
Enjoyed working with clients and project managers
Office Receptionist/ Word Processor (Former Employee), Springfield, ILJuly 18, 2013
Pros: the clients
Cons: advancement opportunities
I enjoyed being a liaison between the clients and project managers. The clients commented on my knowledge of the projects and specifications. The clients commented to my supervisors that they liked my friendly, positive, helpful attitude.
friendly work environment
Database / SAS Administrator (part-time) (Current Employee), Pearl River, NYJune 17, 2013
Pros: no peers pressure
Cons: few holidays
plenty of intranet sites that give instructions to various subjects....

1 2 3 4

About HDR, Inc.

HDR is a global employee-owned firm providing architecture, engineering, consulting, construction and related services through – Read more