HDR, Inc.

HDR, Inc. Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Professional workplace who makes our work matters
Transportation Planner (Current Employee), Richmond Hill, ONJuly 29, 2013
HDR is a company with great culture and values. Managers and senior staff are willing to train younger staff and build relationship outside of work.
A
Project Controller (Current Employee), Seattle, WANovember 19, 2014
HDR***************************************************************************************************
Up to date CAD Design Programming and Modeling
Architectural Designer (Former Employee), Reno, NVOctober 16, 2014
All staff professional Engineers and Architects. State of the art computers and design programs.
Top Heavy and better have work
Cadd (Former Employee), Walnut Creek, CaOctober 13, 2014
Pros: enjoyed the work when it was available, pay wasnt bad
Cons: dont have your back your on your own for finding work, once you run out see you later, lots of turnover in the office i was in, better have work to do, cutthroating and snitching or work hogging common because of this utilization goal.
When there is a lot of work going around things are good. But the company is really top heavy in most offices, I worked in a few. So there is a lot of pressure for production staff since it is so thin. Lots of turnover, about 45-50% in the office I was in for 4 years. Once the work gets thin, depending on the supervisor, they just hang you out to dry – more... to look for work yourself. So then your utilization goals drop, and not matter what big projects you've helped with, all those late hours getting big jobs out, doesn't matter anymore, your out of there. If your wages start to get too high the supervisors complain and don't want you working on their job at your rate. Other employees have cut throat tactics to keep work on their desk, like talk bad about you behind your back etc. Love the type of work when it was there, but it's not about the work it's about the people. If your a manager it's great, but if your production staff if can be tough if your under certain supervisors. – less
Great office environment.
Administrative Assistant/Word Processor (Former Employee), Vienna, VAAugust 14, 2014
Very employee-friendly corporation. Great benefits. Flexible working hours.
Good Company
Document Control Specialist (Former Employee), Abilene, TXJuly 18, 2014
Pros: learning a new trade
Cons: healthcare
My typical day was inputting data in the computer, making Compensation Packages and answering phones. I learned how to prepare Comp Packages, make offer letters and interact with IREALM database. Management was great. My co-workers were on point with teaching me the ropes. Deadlines were the hardest part of this job. The most enjoyable part was seeing – more... the clients happy with our work. – less
Awesome place to work at! The work culture is amazing and I always felt comfortable.
Administrative Intern (Former Employee), Bellevue, WAJune 29, 2014
I loved working at HDR. The people were amazing, everyone was kind and patient, especially with us interns! I would work there again in a heartbeat. I loved the Administrative team, they made me become better at everything I did and were always so supportive!
Good work
CAD Techinician (Former Employee), Irvine, CAMay 28, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: short breaks
Good working environment
I learned a lot about transportation
excellent manager
100% good people
The friendships that I built
Large company
Sr. Program Coordinator/Assistant Client Manager (Former Employee), Portland,ORMay 21, 2014
As the Program coordinator I was attending meeting resolving issues and reported on all aspects of a project.
Professional Engineering Environment
Receptionist (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOMarch 25, 2014
Pros: free lunches during meetings, good benefits and lots of pto accrual
Cons: management, slow paced position
A typical day of work involved greeting employees, vendors and contractors; answering and handling calls as necessary; managing breakroom and office supplies and coordinating lunch meetings. I ran errands occasionally as well. I made some good friends at HDR and I learned so much in the 7 years I was there. The hardest part of the job, was that I was – more... not kept busy. There was not much to do and no room for advancement and I like to be kept busy with a variety of work. Breaks are nice too, but not when the better part of your 40 hours feels like one. The other hard part of the job was the management. I won't go into detail because I would have unprofessional thoughts on that subject.
The benefits were not the best I've had, but better than most. The company provided a 401K investment opportunity and they matched my 4% I provided. – less
Great Company
Lab Technician and Intern (Former Employee), Claremont, CAMarch 17, 2014
Good for interning and getting lab experience. I thoroughly enjoyed working with this company, and I would definitely recommend it to others!
Good Working culture for Engineers and Architects, bad for IT
IT Support Specialist (Current Employee), Dallas, TXMarch 11, 2014
Pros: good benefits program
Working IT at HDR is demoralizing. Once a month meetings with the CIO consistantly reminding us that we are a drain on business and cut into the companies bottom line.

It wasn't always like this, the IT group got restructured. So instead of working for your local departments you support you now report to a faceless autocracy in Omaha. While under the – more... local department, the head of that department was responsible for our compenstation and reviews. The job was more organic and should we not be doing our job satisfactorily the department heads and the people we support would have a direct say in our reviews.

Pay rates are not competitive at all.

Management is incompetant, and can't even facilitate a migration to new systems.

Hardest part keeping moral up.

Most enjoyable part is working with the different engineers and architect users and helping them be productive. Overwhelmingly good people who work here. – less
An excellent large Consulting Engineering Company
PROJECT MANAGER / ELECTRICAL DESIGNER (Former Employee), Springfield, ILFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: large comapny that could build a complete city because of all the resources within the company.
Cons: leans toward younger staff and offices become competative against each other as profit centers.
I worked at a company for 15 years before HDR aquired us, I worked for HDR for 5 years. The culture changed and it was a little difficult to adjust to their larger company culture as a Midwest located firm.

HDR values a younger work force and demands more letters after your name than in it.

HDR is more progressive than most companies their size and – more... I would strongly recommend it to young prospects.

Some of my stars reflect my experience at our Midwest office and not the company across the nation with their 150+ offices and 9000+ personnel. – less
Wonderful atmosphere
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Boise, IDFebruary 11, 2014
I thourougly enjoyed working for HDR, and all of the different people I interacted with daily.
Fun guys to work and travel with
UXO Technician II / III / Explosive Manager (Former Employee), Aurora, COJanuary 21, 2014
Like any job most everyone works to get the job done and learn what needs to be learned to get other jobs done.
A solid company that does it best for its employees
Assistant Resident Engineer (Current Employee), Moreno Valley, CAJanuary 15, 2014
HDR has been a good company for me. This was my first private sector job after being recalled to Active Duty Army in Afghanistan.
Productive and a great place to work.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT/RECEPTIONIST (Current Employee), White Plains, NYJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: flexiable
Cons: n/a
My typical day is assistanting with proposals. Helping put them together, making copies, proofing, formating documents. My Co-works are great, very pleasant.
Loved this position and all the people I got to know.
Document Controls Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Lehi, UtDecember 16, 2013
This was a great assignment and I loved to work with these guys each and every day!!!
Enjoyable work environment with a joining on community services in the area. Fun times in the office with holidays and potlucks, I love to cook.
Project Administrator (Former Employee), Irvine, CANovember 14, 2013
Pros: employee owned company
Cons: had to give your own time to projects, no overtime pay
A typical day at work started with a cup of coffee and 2-3 engineers and/or project managers asking me to type/mail/process letters/memos/reports or get meetings together.
I learned how to multitask and be diplomatic trying to help all my engineers and managers.
The manager I had was a wonderful person, very dedicated to the job, but also very human – more... to his employees.
I worked with 8-15 engineers at a time. Juggling was my business on “who’s on first”. We all had a great companionship/working relationship in the Water/Wastewater department that I worked in. There are the times that we would go on weekend trips together (snow skiing, camping at the beach, bike riding, and walks).
The hardest part of the job was getting information in time to finish Request for Proposals. Sometimes we would have to work all weekends in order to make deadlines.
The employees I worked with were the best!!! I would love to work with any of them again. – less
Positive environment and opportunity for growth
Engineer Intern (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLNovember 12, 2013
It was a great internship opportunity in their engineering department. Worked around engineers that were more than willing to advise on better work ethics.

1 2 3 4

About HDR, Inc.

HDR is a global employee-owned firm providing architecture, engineering, consulting, construction and related services through – Read more

HDR, Inc. Photos