HBO Employee Reviews

not all departments created equal
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NY10 November 2017
Horrible management in certain departments
Hr doesn’t care for the employees and let’s managers get away with it. Revolving door and complaints and nothing is ever done. If you work in a nice department you might be lucky to enjoy a career there
Won’t move up unless you are a kiss up
Loyalty and hard work is unseen
Pros
Vacation starts off with 3 weeks. Nice coworkers
Cons
Horrible management and hr
Wonderful place to work
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  New York, NY30 October 2017
I loved working at HBO. The people were wonderful and the supervisors were always open to answering questions and teaching if asked. My boss became a friend, because of her warmth and kindness, and willing to help me succeed, even if it meant losing me as an Executive Assistant.
Pros
Unlimited sick days, amazing benefits, excellent people, beautiful office in a great location.
Cons
Sometimes in the summer, the air conditioning was on a bit high, so it got cold in the office!
Good work/life balance - interesting online content
Software Test Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA30 October 2017
A relaxed, inclusive environment with many different opportunities to preview upcoming shows and other content. Good ergonomic equipment and good technical support.
Productive Workplace
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  New York, NY17 October 2017
A typical work day is knowing what is expected and getting it done. I was given clear guidelines and the given the freedom to accomplish. I am grateful for the experience.
Pros
Freebies, premiers, great atmosphere
Cons
short lunch
stressful environment experiencing culture changes
Senior Network Engineer/Network Architect (Current Employee) –  New York, NY2 October 2017
Stressful environment experiencing culture changes. I would not advise anyone to work here under the existing management structure. The executive branch is much more relaxed than the broadcast side.
Good and Fast paced environment
Post Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NY1 September 2017
The hours were long and the work was demanding, as expected in this industry but it was a good experience. Everyone had worked together before which made for a well oiled machine.
HBO is like Heaven
PRIVATE (Current Employee) –  PRIVATE22 August 2017
I work out of the Santa Monica office.

This company has everything an employee could want - competitive pay; excellent work/life balance; a family atmosphere; and opportunities to grow.

The opportunities to grow, though, depends on who your direct boss. If S/he doesn't advocate for you, then you'll be in that same position for years (if that isn't what you want).

Co-workers are ridiculously friendly, and it's all genuine.

Best company I have ever worked for!
Pros
Pay, Culture, Office Vibes, Co-workers
Cons
Advancement
Dream job
Production Assistant (Freelance) (Former Employee) –  New York, NY24 July 2017
Its a dream job, people are very positive and outgoing. Politics are very tough around there though so you do have to be careful with what you say and do.
Pros
Good body of work.
Cons
Bad politics.
Supervisor Acounts payable
Accounts Payable Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA13 July 2017
Growth company which was experiencing various challenges with respect to systems and acounting for both receivables and payables. It was rewarding to supervise a team which found coherence and commonality of purpose.
Postive Place to work
Senior Designer (Former Employee) –  New York, NY5 July 2017
An excellent place to work, hard to move up as people stay a long time. Great perks, 401k match, and work life balance.

Sometimes things become antiquated.
Great Benefit
Business Insights and Analytics (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CA3 July 2017
This was the best paid intership of my life and we had fun. They made sure we understood the work and I lead the team on various projects. Expanded client base by 78% in three years by consistently delivering goal-surpassing marketing results and ensuring complete client satisfaction.
Earned commendations from client executives for communication deliverables that targeted desired audiences and articulated the value of products and services for clients product audience.
Toxic
Creative Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NY23 May 2017
HBO used to be a great place to work - they took calculated risks, encouraged creativity, and had a streamlined approval process. Now is not the time to work there until they fix their culture. It is toxic to the core, and until they address those issues on a cultural level I can't advise strongly enough not to work there. Incredibly political - which starts at the top.
Pros
The product is good
Cons
No room for upward movement, very political, and Time Warner is merging with AT&T which presents an uncertain future.
This is the place to work if you love Media
Buyer (Former Employee) –  New York, NY26 April 2017
HBO was a fun fulfilling place to work. My Manager encourages me to empower myself and believed that I could handle challenging tasks. The staff worked together as a team and you would always count on your fellow co-worker.
Pros
Excellent benefits, Great Culture, and room for advancement
Cons
No job security
Good Welfare
Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lorong Chuan3 April 2017
Environment is good but production team is tough especially when the boss is not the field that you know. Not the typical pace that you willing to stick onto it for the future.
Great place to work, but it's changing
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NY8 November 2016
HBO has been a great place to work. It has a friendly and family-like atmosphere. However, as it's competition has been increasing, the work place has been changing and focusing on getting products out quicker.
IT department needs improvement
IT Department (Former Employee) –  New York, NY12 September 2016
-There is no opportunity for advancement.
-The management is very difficult to work with.
-The job culture is not positive or motivating in any way.
-The work/life balance is very good.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
everything else
Wonderful place to work
Executive Assistant to Vice President (Former Employee) –  New York, NY30 August 2016
I loved working here. My boss was amazing, as were the other people I came into contact with every day. We worked hard but had fun too. HBO really knew how to take care of their employees. I would still be there if I didn't make the mistake of moving to Chicago.
Pros
Awesome benefits
Cons
Pay wasn't fabulous
Love it here!
Recruiter/Sourcer (Current Employee) –  New York, NY13 July 2016
I absolutely love working here. Everyone's very nice and super helpful!
Excellent place to work for. There is good worklife balance. very professional environment and reasonable work from home options.
HBO is a great company to work for. The benefits and salary are extremely excellent. Management is professional and work environment is friendly.
Excellent place to work for.
Sr Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NY7 July 2016
no comment
Sale Ambassador (Current Employee) –  New York, NY12 May 2016
• Perform sales duties and assisting customers, while provide positive experience
• Assess effective visual merchandise layouts and comply with merchandising requirements
• Perform general administrative duties including customer assistance, organization during purchase and the announcement of sales suggestions and specials
• Experience with Microsoft Words, Excel and Outlook

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HBO. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3