HBO Employee Reviews

Soul-Crushing
Producer/Writer (Former Employee) –  New York, NY21 February 2018
Slowing eroding culture, executives lost in the disrupted industry, rampant fear, scarcity, and divisive competition. Lots of petty high school drama and no growth opportunities.
Eh
Sales Development Executive (Former Employee) –  New York, NY19 February 2018
Most people assume working for HBO is a lot of glitz and glam. It's not. These are corporate positions.

I was able to switch departments there, but it truly is a rarity.

It's an uneasy environment since no one knows the future of television and there's a lot of new competition
Competitive and contradictory atmosphere
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NY29 January 2018
Could be your best or your worst job. Atmosphere rewards insincerity and competition, where office politics are - direct quote -
more important than your work. Some managers are exceptional, some are miserable, as with every company.

With the right people in the right department, I can see working for HBO as a dream job. But finding that atmosphere seems an unlikely crapshoot.
Great work environment!
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NY24 January 2018
Very relaxed and comfortable place to work! As long as you got your work done there was no problem. HBO is a very competitive environment and its to be expected. All in all I would've loved to stay with them if life didn't get in the way.
Executive Account Assistant (Former Employee) –  Radnor, PA22 January 2018
This was my dream job and I would have retired from this company had I not been laid off. They provided great salary, benefits, time off, outings and a culture for learning.
Pros
Salary, benefits, people, flexibility
Fun place to wrk
Retail Affiliate Sales and Training Executive (Former Employee) –  New York, NY18 January 2018
Typical day were meetings and trainings
I learned about sales and training
Management was collaborative
The hardest part was leaning to work virtually
The most enjoyable part of the job were meetings and working with affiliates
Pros
feeebees
Fun filled location outside.
Oracle DBA Technical Lead (Current Employee) –  New York, NY18 January 2018
There will be all kinds of times and experience during work.
It takes time to understand the culture and move on.
There may be learning scope, but might have short or no ladder to climb.
not all departments created equal
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NY10 November 2017
Horrible management in certain departments
Hr doesn’t care for the employees and let’s managers get away with it. Revolving door and complaints and nothing is ever done. If you work in a nice department you might be lucky to enjoy a career there
Won’t move up unless you are a kiss up
Loyalty and hard work is unseen
Pros
Vacation starts off with 3 weeks. Nice coworkers
Cons
Horrible management and hr
Great work life balance!
Executive Assistant, Media Technology (Former Employee) –  New York, NY4 November 2017
Management is the best in the business. Relaxed working environment. Fantastic gym and bistro. Cares about employees health and company is family oriented.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
No career advancement
Wonderful place to work
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  New York, NY30 October 2017
I loved working at HBO. The people were wonderful and the supervisors were always open to answering questions and teaching if asked. My boss became a friend, because of her warmth and kindness, and willing to help me succeed, even if it meant losing me as an Executive Assistant.
Pros
Unlimited sick days, amazing benefits, excellent people, beautiful office in a great location.
Cons
Sometimes in the summer, the air conditioning was on a bit high, so it got cold in the office!
Good work/life balance - interesting online content
Software Test Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA30 October 2017
A relaxed, inclusive environment with many different opportunities to preview upcoming shows and other content. Good ergonomic equipment and good technical support.
Productive Workplace
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  New York, NY17 October 2017
A typical work day is knowing what is expected and getting it done. I was given clear guidelines and the given the freedom to accomplish. I am grateful for the experience.
Pros
Freebies, premiers, great atmosphere
Cons
short lunch
stressful environment experiencing culture changes
Senior Network Engineer/Network Architect (Current Employee) –  New York, NY2 October 2017
Stressful environment experiencing culture changes. I would not advise anyone to work here under the existing management structure. The executive branch is much more relaxed than the broadcast side.
Good and Fast paced environment
Post Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NY1 September 2017
The hours were long and the work was demanding, as expected in this industry but it was a good experience. Everyone had worked together before which made for a well oiled machine.
HBO is like Heaven
PRIVATE (Current Employee) –  PRIVATE22 August 2017
I work out of the Santa Monica office.

This company has everything an employee could want - competitive pay; excellent work/life balance; a family atmosphere; and opportunities to grow.

The opportunities to grow, though, depends on who your direct boss. If S/he doesn't advocate for you, then you'll be in that same position for years (if that isn't what you want).

Co-workers are ridiculously friendly, and it's all genuine.

Best company I have ever worked for!
Pros
Pay, Culture, Office Vibes, Co-workers
Cons
Advancement
Dream job
Production Assistant (Freelance) (Former Employee) –  New York, NY24 July 2017
Its a dream job, people are very positive and outgoing. Politics are very tough around there though so you do have to be careful with what you say and do.
Pros
Good body of work.
Cons
Bad politics.
Supervisor Acounts payable
Accounts Payable Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA13 July 2017
Growth company which was experiencing various challenges with respect to systems and acounting for both receivables and payables. It was rewarding to supervise a team which found coherence and commonality of purpose.
Postive Place to work
Senior Designer (Former Employee) –  New York, NY5 July 2017
An excellent place to work, hard to move up as people stay a long time. Great perks, 401k match, and work life balance.

Sometimes things become antiquated.
Great Benefit
Business Insights and Analytics (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CA3 July 2017
This was the best paid intership of my life and we had fun. They made sure we understood the work and I lead the team on various projects. Expanded client base by 78% in three years by consistently delivering goal-surpassing marketing results and ensuring complete client satisfaction.
Earned commendations from client executives for communication deliverables that targeted desired audiences and articulated the value of products and services for clients product audience.
Toxic
Creative Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NY23 May 2017
HBO used to be a great place to work - they took calculated risks, encouraged creativity, and had a streamlined approval process. Now is not the time to work there until they fix their culture. It is toxic to the core, and until they address those issues on a cultural level I can't advise strongly enough not to work there. Incredibly political - which starts at the top.
Pros
The product is good
Cons
No room for upward movement, very political, and Time Warner is merging with AT&T which presents an uncertain future.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HBO. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2