HBO Employee Reviews

IT department needs improvement
IT Department (Former Employee) –  New York, NY12 September 2016
-There is no opportunity for advancement.
-The management is very difficult to work with.
-The job culture is not positive or motivating in any way.
-The work/life balance is very good.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
everything else
Love it here!
Recruiter/Sourcer (Current Employee) –  New York, NY13 July 2016
I absolutely love working here. Everyone's very nice and super helpful!
Excellent place to work for. There is good worklife balance. very professional environment and reasonable work from home options.
HBO is a great company to work for. The benefits and salary are extremely excellent. Management is professional and work environment is friendly.
Wonderful place to work
Executive Assistant to Vice President (Former Employee) –  New York, NY30 August 2016
I loved working here. My boss was amazing, as were the other people I came into contact with every day. We worked hard but had fun too. HBO really knew how to take care of their employees. I would still be there if I didn't make the mistake of moving to Chicago.
Pros
Awesome benefits
Cons
Pay wasn't fabulous
Great culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NY15 April 2016
Fast-paced environment. Awesome finance management; employees treated with respect. Hours are great and team-spirit is alive and well at HBO.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Career advancement can be difficult
Marketing and Administrative Assistant
Marketing and Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL4 March 2015
Administered Marketing campaigns

Developing creative promotional items for clients

Management was more a co-worker and gave me freedom to use my talent

Best friends I still have

Handling the financial responsibilities when the management was not in office and at hand for questions on their personal expenditures

Programming and special events.
Pros
Great benefits, location, training
Cons
It was a great company sorry they moved to New York
Excellent place to work for.
Sr Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NY7 July 2016
Fantasic, forward thinking company
Senior Vice President, Program Planning (Former Employee) –  New York, NY6 August 2013
HBO has been an amazing place to work. It employs top-notch people --the smartest in the business. The management team is innovative and forward thinking, always trying to be one step ahead. The job was enjoyable because the competitive world was constantly changing, so there was a challenge to always think differently. The company truly cares about its employees.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Great place to work in a great industry.
CTO & Vice President of Operations (Former Employee) –  Budapest Hungary.18 January 2016
I have been working for HBO Europe for over eight years, in a company whose mission is to provide a premium entertainment product for consumers, to be not only technologically agnostic but also to perfect the art of telling entertaining, compelling stories.
During HBO Europe’s evolution we have driven a continuing need to implement technological advancements that underpin the company’s desire to generate increased revenue. I view technology and its exploitation as a vital factor within the organization and also as part of a continuing improvement of high quality service for the consumer.
I see myself as being responsible for establishing the company’s technical vision, and leading all aspects of the company’s technology development. The CTO is ultimately responsible for the development and operation of the company technical services and IT infrastructure.
I am a team-builder – coaching and supporting their direct reports to excel, and creating a culture of can-do excellence within the technology team.
This involves taking ownership, making decisions and being professional throughout the undertaking of the role. Requiring a high level of maturity, leadership ability and broad knowledge makes me especially capable of managing large groups of people and getting results. The following, to give a deeper insight into my experience and leadership style, that may be deemed as appropriate for role.
Forward-thinking TV company with great work/life balance programs.
Manager - Enterprises Dept (Current Employee) –  New York, NY8 July 2014
Starting my career at HBO as a Contract Analyst and quickly rising to Manager, I was immersed in the Television Sales business from the bottom up and understand the importance of every step in the process. I also bear witness to how quickly the industry is evolving in regards to new media and platforms. As a Manager, I supervise a team of Contract Analysts. I learned to provide effective feedback, delegate wisely, and prioritize, while creating a sense of teamwork. Also as a Manager, I oversee our Rights Management Database and utilize our reporting database to build, edit, and interpret reports based on specific queries from all levels of management. I work with large volumes of data and thrive on creating order out of chaos.
Great perks, not so great culture
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NY6 May 2014
In my experience, HBO's corporate environment and archaic business practice and management style are not a fit for me - a little shocking for such an innovative brand when it comes to content. Difficult to move up/around from Manager level positions.

Compensation, perks and work/life balance, however, are probably the best in the industry.
I was an assistant to an Investment Banker
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MO28 November 2015
The hours were long, although the pay was rewarding. I learned many things in the investment arena, but overall, This experience was very negative.
Pros
Income
Cons
Long hours, No Benefits, On call
Professional evironment
Programming Technical Services & Operations (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CA21 October 2015
no comment
Sale Ambassador (Current Employee) –  New York, NY12 May 2016
• Perform sales duties and assisting customers, while provide positive experience
• Assess effective visual merchandise layouts and comply with merchandising requirements
• Perform general administrative duties including customer assistance, organization during purchase and the announcement of sales suggestions and specials
• Experience with Microsoft Words, Excel and Outlook
Strategic Marketing, Planning, Drving Result, Optimization
Assistant Manager Promotion Planning and Analysis (Current Employee) –  New York, NY29 January 2015
I am responsible for the strategic planning and promotion of HBO and Cinemax programming across linear and non-linear platforms. On a typical day in the office, I will gather all information (ie. research predictions, ratings, post analysis reports) pertaining to upcoming campaigns and create a unique on air marketing strategy to maximize reach and effectiveness. Based on our on air strategy we will then align our plan with MAX GO, HBO GO and On Demand, to maximize reach and frequency. Once these plans have been formulated and approved by upper management, my team then informs the creative team and assets are created and released based on the planning strategy and implement the plan. Once our plans have been set into motion, we then track the campaign monitoring its progression and ensure proper pacing and results.
I also attend daily meetings with Information Technology as we work on a software development to optimize promotion planning and tracking.
I most enjoy the creativity and strategy part of the business. It's also satisfying to see results that impact the business as a whole, such as the optimization of software for the department. The most difficult part of the business is pleasing all parties when there are so many ongoing campaigns at one time and prioritizing the campaigns based on available air time.
Pros
Company Reputation, Healthcare Benefits, Office Space, Stability
Cons
Slow to modernize, Lack of growth due to employee tenure
Great people and good environment
Senior Business Objects Developer / Technical Lead (Former Employee) –  New York, NY18 February 2015
HBO is a great place to work at. The management truly cares about your professional and personal matters. Good opportunities for career growth.
Dream job. Fun, creative, great colleagues, great clients, great product.
ACCOUNT MANAGER / MARKETING & PROMOTIONS (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA22 June 2012
This truly was a dream job. I started with HBO when it was in it's infancy. We all were excited, it was a new product very much in demand.

We were free to create whatever we needed. Ads, print and TV. Posters for programs. Fun promotional items to be used as incentive prizes to cable operators or simply brand awareness.

Lavish program preview events were held to which the actors often were in attendance.

My accounts were in the Pacific Northwest, I was able to travel alot to beautiful places.

It was amazing.
Pros
endless new product and promotion opportunities. great colleagues now forever friends.
Cons
mature business. office closures. job eliminations. thank you bush boys.
you will learn everyday
QA Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NY9 April 2016
Being the media domain workplace its very details oriented. helpful and gentle people are working here with profession in their mind. handling pressure is the key here.
Demanding Boss, Overwhelming Expectations
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MO20 August 2014
My typical day would be on the computer writing reports and rechecking calculations. While I enjoyed the job, My boss (owner) and myself were great friends prior to this business adventure and I think this perhaps doomed us from the start. I did learn a great deal about high-stress, last business deal closings, how to handle such stress, maintain composure, in order to achieve the best outcome for both parties involved. This experienece was very valuable to me.
Pros
Very High Pay
Cons
Very Long Hours, unreasonable expectations from boss.
HBO
Account E (Current Employee) –  New York, NY27 July 2015
Great company culture. A lot of young people work here. Very difficult to move up because no one ever leaves. I would strongly recommend this company to anyone.
Great Working Experience
Executive Assistant to the VP of Digital Products (Current Employee) –  New York, NY12 November 2013
HBO has absolutely been the best job that I have had. It provided me the opportunity to grow and excel in the business world. The people that I have had the pleasure of meeting have all been positive and fun to work with. Of course every company has its ups and downs but HBO provided me with far more ups than downs. Upper Management treated me with dignity and respect and were pretty down to earth which was greatly appreciated. Co workers were always willing to lend a hand and help you understand a specific task or project we were working on to provide the best outcome for the team. We were definitely a team driven unit. The challenges I faced made me a stronger worker therefore I never saw any task that was hard for me to accomplish. We all must learn something new in order to grow. Providing a great service and being depended upon to my team is what I took most pleasure in. I am the consummate professional people person. I take pride in the work that I do and make it my mantra to be the best and give the best support possible. A typical day would be dealing with the paying of invoices, running expense reports, working with the legal teams on consultant contracts along with the ordering of computers, mobile devices and office necessities. HBO challenged me to be the best that I could be and I stand proudly and say I faced that challenged and overcame them all.
Pros
Benefits, vacations, perks
Cons
They don't have an office in Orlando where I am moving to get married.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HBO. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3