Are you a ‘hands on’ creator that likes to see the whole picture? Does working in a fast-paced environment with an energetic team excite you? A rare opportunity exists for a dynamic individual to join one of Toronto’s largest research companies. With a strong portfolio of assets and funding committed through 2016, there is no better time to join this unique innovation accelerator.
This autonomous role encompasses complete ownership of the full-cycle accounting process for this not-for-profit organization and it’s sister organization. That includes the maintenance of the chart of accounts, accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger, month-end accruals, closing and issuance of financial statements. In addition, responsibility for HST reporting and remittances, payroll administration, account and bank reconciliations. Good governance is a key pillar, and this position requires an individual that is effective in maintaining a strong internal control environment and establishing policies and procedures around such. The successful candidate will be a well-organized individual that can set and manage various stakeholders’ expectations, as well as raising issues on a timely basis and problem solving.
This contract will include a transition period of approximately one-month with the incumbent during which time the annual close and preparation for the audit will be performed. Year-end audit fieldwork commences in May. The organization plans to implement the Microsoft GP Dynamics accounting system during this time and the successful candidate will need to be proficient in this software.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Prepare monthly financial reports with insightful analysis within defined reporting timelines, liaising with key stakeholders for input as necessary during the process.
- Manage the annual audits, including the preparation of all audit schedules and samples of documents selected for testing.
- Refine processes around month-end cycle to reduce time to close.
- Reporting: Define and develop additional reporting required of stakeholders.
- G/L maintenance: add to and edit chart of accounts to support reporting requirements.
- Accounts Receivable: Create annual membership fee invoices and ad-hoc billing as required from time to time; follow up on collection.
- Accounts Payable: Reviewing the input of invoices in the system to ensure accuracy, validity, completeness and timeliness. Prepare weekly cheque runs; circulate for signature, and post.
- Cash management: Make bank deposits and post all cash transactions. Prepare the weekly cash flow forecast and recommend transfers to and from investment accounts to ensure optimal use of funds.
- Capital Assets: Maintain the sub-ledger, calculate and post monthly amortization, write-off assets on disposition.
- Prepare commodity tax (HST) returns and related remittances.
- Prepare and post month-end accruals and adjusting entries in accordance with GAAP.
- Prepare bank and account reconciliations.
- Document Accounting policies, processes and controls.
- Electronic and paper file management.
- University degree/College diploma with a focus in Accounting.
- Designated CA, CMA, CGA, or in final stages of completion or compensating experience.
- Demonstrated experience with full cycle accounting.
- Experience in a dynamic, complex and professional environment.
- Experience with GP Dynamics an asset.
- Applies logic and materiality in approach to work and problems.
- Ability to understand complex issues and financial linkages in applying knowledge.
- Ability to manage shifting priorities and meet deadlines.
- Problem solver.
- Active listener.
- High integrity and transparency.
- Collaborative, team player.
- Values diversity and being respectful of other cultures.
If you are interested in learning more about this opportunity, please submit your resume in confidence to Kylie Meyermann. Due to the high volume of resumes coming in, only those who meet these criteria will be contacted.