Hatch

Hatch Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
It i great pleasure to work at Hatch
Senior Supervising Engineer, Protection & Control (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 31, 2014
Hatch is a good company to work, however, I'll prefer to work in UAE under my present circumstances.
Excellent work place
senior mechanical designer and checker (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 9, 2014
Pros: interesting work
Variety of work in various industries.
Multi discipline environment
Excellent management
it is good company
Senior Structural Engineer (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 27, 2014
It is a good company. I only worked on mining industry for them. The company operation needs adjustment
Budget and Schedule Orientated
Quality Lead, Safety Lead, Project Quality Manager (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: local office, location
Cons: regionalized, poor business plans
When I first started working there, I was under the impression that they were a progressive company that measured performance on the Quality of deliverables but as I worked there, I found that they valued budget and schedule above all.
Great people and work culture
Project Risk and Technical Risk Manager (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 18, 2014
Excellent teams and relationships.

Positive work environment.
great company, great projects
Process Engineer (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 15, 2014
Pros: nice location and infrastructure
Cons: cubicles are too close to entrance/exit doors
it was great experience for me to work with Hatch, great people great managers an co-workers. Had an opportunities to meet many people from mineral processing industry and have learned a lot about modern approaches in the industry viz computer modeling and project management.
Project Specialist (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: great learning experience
Cons: long hours
Very busy tasks needed each day
Manager was very understanding and had patience
Great work environment... lack of business
Construction Specialist (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: flexible hours, benefits
Cons: lack of leadership
Loved it when I worked there and it was busy with projects because there was lots but when things started to slow down the business failed to bring in new clients and scared away old ones. This company needs better management to attract more clients.

All my co-workers were very nice people and I loved my job there. I made many spread sheets and templates – more... for people to use for site or at home office. Tracking and uploading documents to a database made it complicated to find things at times.

The company needs some serious leadership and transparency. – less
Consulting and Engineering Services
Senior Water Process Engineer (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 25, 2013
Pros: people
Cons: unstable work conditions
Excellent professionals
Business is Mining oriented
Unstable work environment
Senior Designer (Structural) (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 19, 2013
Pros: good enviroment to work in
Enjoyed working in the design office.
Open door policy to top management.
Good IT backup to design aids
Always new and interesting projects
A good company to work for.
EPCM Controller and Change Coordinator/Integrator (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONJuly 22, 2013
Everything about Hatch is generally good.

The work environment is good . The co workers are nice. Learnt a lot while working there.
Ok company
CAD Technologist (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJune 18, 2013
worked with all departments within the facilities group. good people to work with.
Amateur hour
As if! I am senior and I'll leave it at that. (Current Employee), Mississauga, OntarioApril 21, 2013
Pros: free parking (had to think hard to get one)
Cons: everything except for the free parking.
Hatch works in a very interesting industry, however it somehow manages to be an incredibly pedantic company.

The majority of its leadership has never worked anywhere else. They're white males and have all become quite wealthy without trying very hard. Some, unfortunately, are pot-bellied dictators who will not entertain any opposing viewpoints or new – more... ideas. Many are geriatrics whose sell-by date was long ago.

For the most part, they continue to operate as though clients need them more than they need clients and, as a result, the company experiences wild swings in revenue and performance which, in turn, creates wild swings in employment prospects.

The company's systems are an absolute shambles and training programs are a joke. The cafeteria at HQ is like a prison canteen.

One word: avoid. – less
It's a good company
Senior STRUCTURAL ENGINEER (Current Employee), Oakville, OntarioApril 15, 2013
Pros: job security, learning through courses
Cons: low salary, easily loose their valuable employees
It's a good company with great people. Learning is part of Hatch Culture. Hatch Provides plenty of course for their employees. Such as Dynamic Analysis, Pushover Analysis, Steel Connection Design and ....
All parts of the job are enjoyable for me.
Employee focussed, relaxed atmosphere
Reviser (Former Employee), Montréal, QCApril 1, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
As soon as I arrived, I checked my e-mails and my tasklist.
I kept working on documents from previous days or started new ones, depending on the demand.
At Hatch I learned first of all, to work mostly by myself without direct supervision, which worked very well for me. I also improved my organisation and my priority establishment in order to meet the – more... tight deadlines. As I revised engineering texts, I also developped my rersearch skills to make sure the documents were clear and correct.
I had a very good relationship with my manager as well as my co-workers, since the environment is friendly and generally, cooperative.
The hardest part for me was to impose myself in order to follow the established the procedures which, sometimes, were neglected by some engineers. Most of time though, all went smoothly.
I really enjoyed meeting the engineers and following their work while correcting their texts. – less
Great Benefits
Project Controls Manager (Current Employee), CanadaMarch 18, 2013
Pros: great benefits, including maternity top up for 6 months
Cons: salaries tend to be on the low end of average
Great values, you feel like you are appreciated as an active contributor. Hard to find a mentor that will help you grow and move up or to change career paths.
Poor to no Job Security
EIT (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 4, 2013
Pros: they cover p.eng license fee, and eit fee, good benefit packages
Cons: poor job security, not well managed, un-organized structure
If hired here, you better be sure to have your resume up and updated to reapply to jobs immediately. There is not much job security and they can lay-off people as easily as they can hire them.

Your time at Hatch is strongly depended on whether or not the team your assigned has projects to work on (as hours logged would be charged to Client). When projects – more... are deferred or Clients shutdown projects, be extremely careful as you might loose your job. The Associates (Team leads, Managers) are responsible for finding projects & Clients..and if they haven't found much work, the new employees are the first to be kicked out.

For new grads, be completely aware that jobs in such EPCM firms are risky and have poor to no job security. However attractive the pay might be, make sure you are ready to be called to that unfortunate meeting where they give a lame excuse to lay you off – – less
Strong internal culture
Campus Recruitment Lead (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 31, 2012
No job security as lay offs occur as soon there is a shortage in work, not advisable for young employees

October 16, 2012

In my experience as a staff manager at Hatch, nothing could be further from the truth. Yes, layoffs due to market slowdowns happen, but only when all other retention/redeployment avenues have been fully explored and exhausted. Having worked in a few major EPCM firms, I can say quite proudly that this a BIG differentiator from our competition. Layoffs due to performance issues is another story...

January 4, 2013

As recent grad and former employee of the company, I felt that not much was done to retain me in other teams or business units. There were no alternate options discussed and due to inability of the team lead (associate) to bring in/secure projects, I was at the receiving end. The company protects its associates and seniors more so. If in the company, please ensure that you are applying to other jobs as well atleast for the first year in the company. I was the newest in the team and the first to go as well and that too lay off on first week of December (time where its difficult to find other opportunities) due to lack of projects and work. (throughout my time, not a day passed when I had asked my manager for work within or in other teams.)

Productive fun work invironment
Bartender (Former Employee), Flint, MIApril 16, 2014
Pros: good money
Cons: no benefits
Daily tasks consisted of customer service and opening and closing the bar. My Manager was amazing and my co-workers were all team players. I learned how well of a team player I am myself and how well i work with people.
Training
DRAUGHTSPERSON JOB AND TRAINING (Former Employee), Johannesburg, GPMarch 28, 2014
Pros: 1 hour lunch was allocated
Cons: working hours are from 8am to 5pm
Departmental rotation meeting different supervisors.
Different leadership styles and management approach

1 2 3

About Hatch

Hatch is an employee-owned, multidisciplinary professional services firm that delivers a comprehensive array of technical and – Read more